PDA

View Full Version : Where was the Oddest/worst place you found a SW toy?

The Bald Ewok
09-18-2001, 11:17 PM
I was talking to the wife the other day, as I was flashbacking to my yesterday of collecting the orginal line, when it occured to me the first time I had gotten Han. You see my parents didnt know a thing about SW when I was a kid so they got me the figs but they didnt know who they was. And I remember that other than the falcon, I always wanted a han solo. Well, be the absent minded parents, they got me every other fig but a han. So like judge mathis I had to make due! So I used a hoth luke because you really couldnt tell that it was a luke, at least not to an 8 yr old. At least I put it out of my mind that it wasnt luke but instead it was Han. Yeah, I even used battle star gallatica too. In fact, I had Darth vader, lost him so I made a cyclone the "NEW" vader. I suppressed a lot! Well, one day a kid in the neighborhood had told me that there was a han in the dumpster. Well, being the SW fan, guess who went diving. Yep, I did get that han solo, despite the fact it had a torn hand. More likely it was a chew toy for a dog, and the head had chew marks as well...looked like T1000 after messing with arnie! But hey I finally got my han!

Anybody else have some stories like this?

GNT
09-19-2001, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by The Bald Ewok
Anybody else have some stories like this?

Not really but I did find a yellow Stormtrooper at the beach awhile ago, it was pure yellow (he must not have put on 30+ sunscrean :( It was just on the beach with some sand over it but a cool find none the less

Lobito
09-19-2001, 04:26 PM
Like 15 yrs. ago i went to my cousin's house and he was showing me his new G.I. Joe figures, as i was looking at the figures he then took out a Taun Taun and gave it to me, he said G.I. Joe had taken over SW and that he no longer had use for that lizard...It was a vintage Taun Taun (open belly)!!!

JEDIpartner
09-20-2001, 11:29 AM
Where was the worst place you found a SW toy?

...why, in the hands of my childhood enemy, Tim Lennon! He was the Scott Farkas of our school (cue sounds from "Christmas Story" ). He always got what he wanted and all the other kids just stood there jealous (and trembling in fear of this bully)! Of course... my friends Alan and Tim B. snatched a couple away from him by the end of the school year as an act of revenge. I lived in fear of his older brother who was like 4 years older than us, but flunked 3 times! *shudder*:eek:

vader121
08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
What is the weirdest place you found a vintage Star Wars figure, weapon, or part?

For me it has to be in a tea cup that my mom would throw all the stuff she would find on the floor in the house. A few years back I went through it looking for something else and found a Speeder Bike gun. Must've been in there for over 20 years.

On a somewhat related note I once found a MOTU Skeletor sword under the backseat of a car in a junkyard. Also, my mom dug up a diecast jet plane in the garden once which may or may not have been mine when I was a kid.

Ji'dai
08-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Years ago I was burning some old old boxes of school papers and found several Stormtroopers in there.

I recently helped my parents remodel my brother's old bedroom and I found a GI Joe bomb behind the moulding above the closet doorway.

My parents still find the occasional LEGO brick or GI Joe accessory in their garage. Most of the loose stuff probably belonged to my brother since I always kept my toys segregated and fairly well organized in storage.

jjreason
08-16-2007, 05:22 PM
That's why I don't read the forums anymore, they're just too depressing. :(

2-1B
08-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Vintage Death Star Gunner at a garage sale for a dime.

Black Bespin Guard buried in the sandbox for X amount of years.

Sandpeople's staff hung up in the frizzy undercarriage of my mom's ottoman.

stillakid
08-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Hey?!!! That was funny! :yes:

Thunderbird
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
At a job site once I found a die cast X-Wing. I looks like it had been in the ground sence the 70's.

I did pick up a Princess Leia in bag full of toys for $1. No cape or gun but very clean, it's still in my collection today:pleased:

plasticfetish
08-16-2007, 09:16 PM
I did pick up a Princess Leia in bag full of toys for $1.Nothing beats scoring an old figure at the thrift.

Hey?!!! That was funny!I agree, but... let's not go there. ;)

2-1B
08-16-2007, 09:44 PM
No, seriously, it was made of wood with a center table and cushions on the side. The bottom side of the insert where the cushions sat had this weird felty/frizzy material to it. And somehow the gaffi stick got snagged up in it.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2007, 10:22 AM
In elementary school, I brought my Walrusman to school and lost him near the sandbox, so somebody probably found him there.

My next door neighbor lost my Luke X-Wing Pilot, so his mom bought me a replacement (would that happen these days?). About a year later we dug him up from his sandbox (what is it with these things? :rolleyes: ).

When working at a hotel, I found a POTF2 Boba Fett rifle on the floor. I kept it all for myself. :pleased:

Old Fossil
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Last year I found a MOTU Ram-man underneath the storage shed of the property we bought a couple of years ago. There was also most of a battle-damaged Skeletor, but he was missing a limb or two, as I recall.

vader121
08-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Cool stories. Keep 'em coming.

I found a green-limbed leg for what i think was a Silverhawks figure about a month ago in my front hard under a bush.

I also got a vintage yoda with coat & belt (nice figure) for 50 cents at a flea market a few years ago.

stillakid
08-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Nothing beats scoring an old figure at the thrift.

I agree, but... let's not go there. ;)

Ok, but this clip is clean! :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0FholWREZA

jjreason
08-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Now my post doesn't make sense (and yes, some'll say there's nothing new about that sad little circumstance). :D

2-1B
08-17-2007, 10:41 PM
I didn't get it either Reason, I must have missed out on the posting...

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
I think it's best to consider the odd places where toys have been found rather than "misplaced" posts that have been removed.

Not really an "odd" place, but I bought a loose Ree-Yees with a black rifle, before I knew about repros and before I found out that the Droids Uncle Gundy figure had the same mold in a different color.

For a dollar, I bought a person's sheet that he was using to display items at a garage sale... because it was the old SW pattern.

jjreason
08-19-2007, 07:20 AM
I didn't get it either Reason, I must have missed out on the posting...

Stillakid's post was about finding SW figures where a certain Mr. Gere may or may not have found a small rodent.... :(

stillakid
08-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Stillakid's post was about finding SW figures where a certain Mr. Gere may or may not have found a small rodent.... :(

Yes, but on The Dating Game. :love:

2-1B
08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I'd like to see Chuck Woolery interview Richard Gere and a Gerbil after their date.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-20-2007, 09:58 AM
If the responses can't get back on topic and stay appropriate, this thread will have to be closed. :meanie: Seriously.

stillakid
08-20-2007, 10:34 AM
If the responses can't get back on topic and stay appropriate, this thread will have to be closed. :meanie: Seriously.

That post wasn't "on topic." :confused:

Lazer Brain
08-23-2007, 05:03 PM
i do alot of flea markets... the oddest was when my friend that i go with, he collects 8 tracks, bought a old 8 track case and it had an 2r and c3po in it, he bought the case for a buck, the r2 was very minty. the other score would be a droids c3po for $1.
later

DarthQuack
02-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Does inside Slick's mom count?

2-1B
02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
That would be the best place, so No.

vader121
02-04-2009, 08:17 AM
I can't recall any Star Wars toy finds in unusual places. However several years ago when I was just getting back into vintage Star Wars collecting I had this stupid idea to go to a junkyard and look under backseat cushions of cars for vintage weapons, etc. I actually did this once for about 20 mins and did find a MOTU Skeletor sword in perfect shape. Other than that all I found were pennies and food remnants.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I think there's an older thread about this topic, unless it's from the Old Forums (quite appropriate in this Vintage section if it was). I'll look... :merge:

[edit]Merging complete... but my statement was "I shall merge them... we can make beans, into peas! " And so I have.

vader121
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
I have also found some nice scores at Flea Markets. Once got a very nice Yoda for 50 cents. It had the coat and belt.

Have picked up cases with figures for very decent prices too. Got first 3 of the original Star Wars comics for $5 last year. That was the last score I had at a flea market.

roberr22
02-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I recently puchased some figures which included a few Stormtoopers. Upon closer examination, I discovered that one of the Troopers was actually a vintage Luke in Stromtroopers Disguise. He's not mint, but a cool find nonetheless!

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2009, 10:17 AM
That's awesome! Wish that could happen to me... :pleased:

roberr22
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I was pretty stoked! It was kinda like stumbling across hidden treasure :thumbsup:

dyntar
02-23-2009, 02:12 AM
When i was in High school we went on an excursion to a sewerage treatment plant. The guide showed us a whole glass case full of toys and action figures that had been caught by the "solids" grate on the pipes. There was stormtroopers a vader, lukes, smurfs etc etc.. He offered us some of them.. but for some reason we didn't want to take him up on the offer :D

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
02-24-2009, 06:46 PM
I found a stack of the old 12" wal-mart exclusive Darth Maul on Sith Speeder at a Big Lots about 3 weeks ago in Orlando Florida. They looked like someone had tied to the back of a car like cans at wedding and drove them to the store. They were $10.00 each and covered in dust. That means these items have been floating around the retail universe for a decade now.

El Chuxter
02-24-2009, 06:55 PM
It only took two years to get a reference to Slicker's Mom.

Old Fossil
02-24-2009, 07:41 PM
I found a stack of the old 12" wal-mart exclusive Darth Maul on Sith Speeder at a Big Lots about 3 weeks ago in Orlando Florida. They looked like someone had tied to the back of a car like cans at wedding and drove them to the store. They were $10.00 each and covered in dust. That means these items have been floating around the retail universe for a decade now.

Guess I better go by Big Lots here again. I've been wanting one of those things for years.