PDA

View Full Version : X (The next X-Men movie)

Pages : 1 [2]

Tonysmo
05-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Thanks for that pic of Dr. McCoy JJB, now if you would be so kind to tell me how he fits into this movie.. who he is n such...

please!

jjreason
05-19-2003, 02:02 AM
Dr. Hank McCoy is the Beast, one of the original members of the X-Men (and the one JJB was most eagerly hoping would appear in X2 - next time JJB).

Having finally seen this movie today, I was quite happy. No major problems, felt comicy, nice costumes and effects, story good enough.

What I would do differently: time for Halle to go. She never was storm to me, I always thought Angela Basset had much more of a "kickass" body than Halle (not nicer, mind you, but tougher) and truer African features (Ororo was born in Africa).

I would have had Colossus gain some size in metal form. It looked like the skin grew over him, where in the book he turns completely into metal. He always seems larger in armored form, I would have translated that to the screen. Just me maybe.

Nightcrawler's religious fervor seemed much more distinct than what I remember (I haven't been a regular reader for 3 years). Not that I would have done this differently, looking at the movie. It didn't detract from the story, and it made for an interesting couple of on screen moments.

All in all, it get's Marvel's tally back to .500 for the year, with Hulk to go. I sure hope it's more along the lines of X2 than Daredevil - and that's all Im going to say about that.

JJR

Tonysmo
05-19-2003, 06:08 AM
Thanks for that insight..

As for Halle not being in the movie... She doesnt really bother me, but knowing she doesnt want to sign on for X3 because of screen time.. THAT bothers me.. I mean, I think she got plenty of screen time.. she flew the freakin jet for christ sakes.. I just dont get it..

hmmm... 10 million dollars to put in white contacts and turn your head.. DUH!?? Having to re-write in a new angle because of that just sucks.. she needs to have her head examined.

RooJay
05-19-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
She didn't even try though. She could have yelled "shut up" in the cockpit and tried, but instead just sauntered out and did her thing.

I might be willing to give you Bobby not being ready to do so, but again, he didn't try. Rogue clearly has a new understanding of her powers, Pyro too, so why not Iceman? And he doesn't have to freeze the whole thing, just a small wall around the jet. Look at the wall he put up between Stryker and Logan, that happened in less than 2 seconds and he didn't even use water.

What would there be for Iceman to newly understand? He freezes stuff. That's his entire power. In order to get any better or to boost his power levels at all he's gonna need a lot more time and practice. By the way, just for the record - no matter how much training and practice Rogue gets she will never be any more powerful; her powers do not work in that way so comparing the two is rather pointless. Also, as I said previously - in the comics it was only just recently that Iceman's power got anywhere near the level it would take for him to have made much of a difference here, and actually I still doubt that he'd have that level of power.

You can only milk a cinema franchise - especially a superhero one - so much before it goes sour, see Superman and Batman for proof. If it was just about BO, we'd already have Batman 5 and 6 by now.

Superman and Batman as film franchises are failures now (at least at the moment) because of poorly executed sequels rather than an inherrent failing of the property. Look to Star Trek and Bond for proof of this - there have been good and bad for each, but there have been enough 'good' ones to keep these both going strong into double digits (and yes, Star Trek may finally be through, but Bond is still going strong). It's quite conceivable that X-Men could keep going for quite some time, and it's a foregone conclusion that we will see X-Men 3.

Miller, I'm flattered. :D I think Halle's personality is also a little too meek for Storm.

I agree with ya completely there. While I do tend to have quite an affinity for the lovely Halle, I never once thought she was at all right for the part - certainly way too meek for Storm. Angela Bassett would have made a much better choice, and probably would have led to an expanded role for Storm in this latest movie (I think her miscasting in the role has much more to do with the state of the characters participation level than anything else).

And in early X-men history, Beast didn't have blue hair covering his whole body and Jean wasn't a doctor (thank the first film for that one ;)). Liberties can and have been taken with the powers in the film already. But I didn't really mean freeze the whole lake anyway, it just flowed that way when I typed it (I was on a roll). I was thinking of another ice wall like the one I mentioned above.

If you notice in the pic of Doc McCoy (Beast) recently posted by JJB you'll note that he doesn't have blue hair covering his body now either. Of course, that means little since the chronology of the movie X-Men is a bit screwy when compared to the comic X-Men: Iceman, being one of the original X-Men should actually be quite a bit older at this point - only about a couple years younger that Scott and Jean, who should be the same age, Beast should already be blue and fuzzy (and a member of the Avengers by now, having already been a member of the X-Men strike team for quite some time prior), Angel should have already been introduced and also moved on to join the Defenders along with Iceman who would not even have been with the X-Men during the story this movie is based on, and Colossus would have been a full fledged member of the team among other things. I imagine it's a pretty safe bet that if Bobby were capable of holding back all that water at this point in the story that he would have. Water is an easy thing for people to underestimate. Even at his current power levels in the comics, I seriously doubt that Iceman could have created a sufficient enough ice dam to hold back that amount of water without a few hours or so to prepare; unless of course the writer needed him to do so, but that is the nature of this type of fiction.

RooJay
05-19-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by jjreason
What I would do differently: time for Halle to go. She never was storm to me, I always thought Angela Basset had much more of a "kickass" body than Halle (not nicer, mind you, but tougher) and truer African features (Ororo was born in Africa).

Yet another problem I've had with Ms. Berry's portrayal - Storm has always had just a bit of an accent left over from her time being worshipped as a weather goddess in Africa when I've read her (at least in my opinion). Halle has never come off as the kind of person people would actually worship and revere in her portrayal of Storm; Angela Bassett would have no problem at all pulling that off in my mind. For the record, this would be my one criticism of the movie.

Nightcrawler's religious fervor seemed much more distinct than what I remember (I haven't been a regular reader for 3 years). Not that I would have done this differently, looking at the movie. It didn't detract from the story, and it made for an interesting couple of on screen moments.

I'm gonna disagree on that one. His piousness has not often been a major issue in the comcis, but it was always a major part of his character especially in the story this movie was based on - the original Stryker was actually a televangelist who preached that mutants were actually demonic. He even uses Nightcrawler, based solely on his physical appearance, as proof of this; especially ironic given Kurt's very devout catholic beliefs. I thought the movie pulled this aspect of the character off perfectly, and that the only reason it isn't brought up more often in the comics is more likely because it would've gotten really old over the past thirty years. ;) Believe it or not, Kurt has actually succeeded in becoming a priest in the comics recently, and he even incorporates the collar into his uniform.

Eternal Padawan
05-19-2003, 05:01 PM
...and by the time Roojay wrote this, Nightcrawler had given up the preisthood and then found out his induction ceremony was a false memory placed in Kurt's head by a diabolical villain.

Darn those wacky X-Men and their convuluted continuity. :rolleyes:

RooJay
05-19-2003, 05:16 PM
Seriously?!:stupid:
Anyway, I never did care much for Nightcrawler the priest. I always saw him as much more of a devout parishioner rather than an actual clergyman; just never seemed to fit in my opinion.

By the way, I do try to stay informed regarding all comics (well DC and Marvel at least) goings on, but I should point out that I haven't really read X-Men since they freakin' killed off Colossus. The fools!

El Chuxter
05-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Alex J Summers

Darn those wacky X-Men and their convuluted continuity.

X-Men and continuity in the same sentence? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Oh, that's the best one I've heard in a long time, EP. Thanks. :)

Hopefully the rascal who played with Kurt's mind is the same SOB who crucified Jubilation. :mad::mad: That way they can take him out at once, since he sucks worse than Dazzler!

jjreason
05-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Dazzler - there's a feather in the old marvel cap. How 'bout Longshot? Remember his crappola limited series took a huge jump in value when he started hanging around the x-men shortly after 200? Good God, they were making odd decisions at that point....I left comics for awhile around that time (leaving off the issue before Jim Lee took over so I missed some good stuff).

Thanks for the insight into Nightcrawler, I remember him uttering "Mein Gott" quite a bit, but very little about him counting on the rosary every 5 seconds and absolutely nothing about the priesthood. Did that stuff happen in Excalibur or since in the main books? I've got a lot of catching up to do.....

Eternal Padawan
05-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Yeah, catching up on the comics can be a very daunting task. Especially when they have 287 X-titles every month. I stopped collecting in '95 and to catch up on every thing that's happened since then would cost me exactly $4.2 billion for 896,224 issues. I just don't have that kind of money right now. ;)

dirtydroid
05-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Saw the Movie this past weekend (Matrix was sold out). Awesome! Just as good as the first one!

JediTricks
05-20-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Porcelina
i'd like storm to be re-cast with a better actor, just to spite silly halle........ :D Ditto!

Originally posted by Tonysmo
hmmm... 10 million dollars to put in white contacts and turn your head.. DUH!?? Having to re-write in a new angle because of that just sucks.. she needs to have her head examined. No, this time she didn't even wear the contacts. Nearly everybody else in the film had to wear 'em, but the primadonna complained so much about 'em that they did it in post via CGI... and it looked like it too.

Originally posted by RooJay
What would there be for Iceman to newly understand? He freezes stuff. That's his entire power. In order to get any better or to boost his power levels at all he's gonna need a lot more time and practice. So you're saying that Iceman can create a wall of ice out of thin air 6" thick that's at least 8' by 10' in a second but can't even TRY to make 2 of 'em in a V-shape in front of the X-jet to divert the impending water? I don't buy it, not on the movie level, not on the original comics level - this didn't have to be so large that it encompassed the whole jet, if his powers couldn't handle it, I think they should have explained that prior in the film; but the way it comes off to me is that when all their lives are in danger, he didn't even try and with no obvious reason for that.

I imagine it's a pretty safe bet that if Bobby were capable of holding back all that water at this point in the story that he would have. Water is an easy thing for people to underestimate. Even at his current power levels in the comics, I seriously doubt that Iceman could have created a sufficient enough ice dam to hold back that amount of water without a few hours or so to prepare; unless of course the writer needed him to do so, but that is the nature of this type of fiction. Don't have to dam the water with a flat wall, he could've diverted it around the jet.

smurfvader
05-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Not as good as the first one, but still an entertaing movie. Nightcrawler was the best thing about it.
Here's what I didn't like
1) Mystique tries to seduce Wolverine by making herself appear as Jean and is found out by the scars on her body. Why? Why is it she can change her hair color, eye color, skin color, height, weight, and even gender, but couldn't make the scars disappear
2) Hugh seemed to be playing the part less seriously. The scene where he puts the cigar out and goes ooh, aah, was stupid and not in character
3) When the X-Mansion is attacked and Iceman makes a wall that seperates Wolverine from Stryker, Wolverine puts his hand on the ice where Strykers hand is as if they were lovers who have to part. Stupid.
4) Why did Nightcrawler walk to the area where the children were being held instead of just teleporting? He could see them on the view screen so visualization wasn't a problem.
5) the fight scene between Deathstrike and Wolverine could ahve been longer, but I understand it needed to be cut to get a PG-13 rating.
Other than that the film was okay.
JIm

Beast
05-21-2003, 03:38 PM
A few points, I could be completely off but I'll offer them anyway. :)

1. They are actual physical wounds on her body, she can only make her apperance fit the person she's immitating. She can't hide any obvious injuries. Like if she had lost an arm, she can't disguise the lost arm. :)

2. I thought that part was great. It's not like Wolverine is impervious to pain. He took it better then most people would if they put a burning cigar out in their hand. And with his amazing healing factor, no reason to not do it other then some pain.

3. I don't consider that part stupid. Wolverine has vague memories of Stryker. That's why he wanted to stay and get his answers. When Bobby put up the wall, his chance for his answers was stolen from him. So it wasn't as if they were lovers, more like Wolverine is again barred from discovering his past by some obstacle. This time taking the form of Bobby's Ice Wall.

4. His teleportaion ability seems to have a range. And once he popped into one cell he would no longer be able to see the moniters to be able to "Bamf" into the other cells. Besides, "bamfing" in and out of cells to get kids is a waste of time, when they can just find the cells and open them.

5. Longer? I thought it was long enough. Heck, it seemed like it was longer then his battle with Sabertooth in the first one. Besides, they had the other parts of the story to deal with also. It wasn't just the "Wolverine" movie, so they couldn't keep all the focus on him. I hate how much they focus the movie on him anyway, just because he's the most popular X character.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-21-2003, 04:19 PM
I agree Jar Jar. The scene w/ Wolverine getting seperated from Stryker wasn't dumb, at least to me. He was trying to get answers from his past and that was blocked off from him. I'm sure if i didn't know anything about my past, i'd have the same reaction as well.

As for Wolvie putting the cigar out on his hand, i loved that reaction. If he's not able to feel pain, that would mean any sort of reaction to getting stabbed by Deathstrike was "out of character." I loved Jackman's portrayal of Wolverine. It never ceases to amaze me each time i watch both X-Men flicks. :D

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Would you prefer he put the cigar out in his hair? His clothes? Professor X's bald head? Wolverine was just doing the polite thing by following the Professor's request and being cool at the same time. Now if you don't mind, I have the urge to smoke a cigar like my hero.

BlahBlahBlah
05-21-2003, 05:15 PM
Just don't put it out like he did.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 05:37 PM
Ok, so you don't like him putting it out on his hand. That's why I'm asking where he should have put it out. He puts it out in his hand, he heals from the wound, and everyone's happy. There's no squashed cigar on the floor, Cerebro is kept clean, and Professor X doesn't take in any second hand smoke. I think Wolverine did the good by putting out in his hand, but still this is may be the oddest thing I've ever discussed.

BlahBlahBlah
05-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Err... that was a joke, dude.

James Boba Fettfield
05-21-2003, 05:58 PM
Ok, now that you've told me this. But remember, it was only text, no smiling face or the like was next to it, so it was left open for me to interpret the way I did.

You gotta understand, I argue about some of the worst things around here, though not to the degree that others do.

Anyway, a joke, I gotcha.

RooJay
05-21-2003, 06:31 PM
So you're saying that Iceman can create a wall of ice out of thin air 6" thick that's at least 8' by 10' in a second but can't even TRY to make 2 of 'em in a V-shape in front of the X-jet to divert the impending water? I don't buy it, not on the movie level, not on the original comics level - this didn't have to be so large that it encompassed the whole jet, if his powers couldn't handle it, I think they should have explained that prior in the film; but the way it comes off to me is that when all their lives are in danger, he didn't even try and with no obvious reason for that.

So you're saying that you know for a fact that the lake was less than ten feet deep? I must have missed the part in the movie where everyone stood around discussing the depth of the lake and how deep it would get on the landing site if the dam were to break and therefore know how big an ice wall little Bobby would have to make to divert a massive wall of water around the X-jet. I also missed the part about where they mentioned that the water would rush past said ice wall without crushing it under thousands of tons of force and would then keep on flowing right past the open end of the wall and never rise up to cover the X-jet.

Don't have to dam the water with a flat wall, he could've diverted it around the jet.

OOOH OOOH OOOH! Or maybe...maybe he could've diverted the jet around the water! What an a-hole! He must've wanted the X-men to all die. That has to mean that he's going to be the main bad guy in the next one! Right? I can see it now - the Professor demanding to know why Iceman didn't use his magical ice wall powers to save the team and prevent Jean from having to become the Phoenix like everyone who's ever been familair with the X-Men wants when...all of a sudden - ICE WALL to divert Xavier's telepathy...ICE WALL to divert cyclops optic blasts (it wouldn't have to be a big flat ice wall, just a five and a half foot high ten foot thick, five inch wide ice wall), and then...ICE WALL to divert Wolverine's claws... next thing you know he's defeated the whole team and the movie is over!

And on that note, I now realize how inane it is to be arguing the logic inherrent in such a complete work of fiction as a movie about a bunch of comic book superheroes...and I now faithfully bow out of said discussion.

...Man, do I ever need to get a life!;)

Eternal Padawan
05-21-2003, 06:38 PM
There's no metal in ICE so he could whup Magneto's hiney!

Divert the jet around the water... Tee hee! That was pretty funny, RooJay. :)

JediTricks
05-21-2003, 08:58 PM
No, you're right RooJay, everybody should have just stood there and taken death like total chumps without even trying anything... beyond Storm flipping a few switches on the jet's control panels and then freaking out when nothing happened of course. Or maybe the team should have all depended on 1 member doing something without explaining it to the others even though her powers had been shown to be faulty throughout the recent adventure. I think Professor Xavier should fire Professor Simpson for teaching them "kids, you tried your best, and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Ok, so you don't like him putting it out on his hand. That's why I'm asking where he should have put it out. He puts it out in his hand, he heals from the wound, and everyone's happy. There's no squashed cigar on the floor, Cerebro is kept clean, and Professor X doesn't take in any second hand smoke. I think Wolverine did the good by putting out in his hand, but still this is may be the oddest thing I've ever discussed. He should have eaten it! :D

jjreason
05-21-2003, 11:45 PM
That WAS a good, solid rant RooJay! Nicely done.....nearing the Jargonian range of sarcasm there.

I think the point is this: what happens on screen drives the plot - which is laid out well in advance. All they have to do then is figure out who's gonna do what until we get from A to B (which in this case is Jean to Phoenix). To get to Phoenix, we need Jean dead. I know: let's make her sacrafice herself for the good of the team at a time when she's finally seeing the extent of her powers! Not original, but faithful to the source, and entertaining on screen.

I think it would have been suitable to see the other mutants tryinng things and failing - they were a bunch of pantywaists inside the Blackbird. Crybabies. Pushovers. Quitters. Wooses. Lukes on Dagobahs :D .

Beast
05-22-2003, 12:20 AM
I think it would have been suitable to see the other mutants tryinng things and failing - they were a bunch of pantywaists inside the Blackbird. Crybabies. Pushovers. Quitters. Wooses. Lukes on Dagobahs :D .
I wouldn't have exactly put it that way. Their powers just were useless in this case. Prof. X can't mind control the water to go away. Cyclops can't eye blast it away. Wolverine can't claw it away. Rogue can't absorb it's power/lifeforce. Nightcrawler had nowhere to Bamf people to. Storm's power doesn't work that way. And like was said above, Bobby's not powerful or skilled enough at this point to create a wall of ice large enough and thick enough to stop the water. Even if he would have put a wall up, the force of the water would have likely slammed the entire wall into the Blackbird. Jean was the only one who's powers would have helped in this case, unless Magneto would have been on board. But of course he'd already escaped with Mystique and Pyro. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
05-22-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
There's no metal in ICE so he could whup Magneto's hiney!

Divert the jet around the water... Tee hee! That was pretty funny, RooJay. :)

Seriously though...I've been thinking about this one since I wrote it, and I found myself wondering what it would have been like if, instead of making an ice wall, he had made an ice SURFBOARD underneath the X-Jet they could've all surfed to safety!

But alas...now I have gone too far...:(

RooJay
05-22-2003, 11:25 AM
That WAS a good, solid rant RooJay! Nicely done.....nearing the Jargonian range of sarcasm there.

You flatter me! Sadly, I will never be anywhere near the level of the Master, though!

Exhaust Port
05-22-2003, 12:30 PM
To get to Phoenix, we need Jean dead.

Just to clarify what we saw at the end, that was a/the Phoenix? I don't know my comic book history from afternoon soap operas so I have no idea what happened there. In fact, I didn't even know what I was looking at. All I got out of it was a blurry shape floating on the water.

Since I'm not going to be seeing this movie until I buy it on DVD, what exactly happened at the end or what are we suppose to assume? Jean became some sort of other being?

Eternal Padawan
05-22-2003, 05:18 PM
What? That makes no sense. You aren't going to watch it until you buy it??!? What if it fills you with utter loathing for all things X?

But since you asked, the last scene of the film is a voiceover of Jean blabbing away about something (evolution?) and it cuts back to an arial shot passing over the new lake created when the dam burst and under the water you can see a fuzzy, flaming bird shape. Comic geeks everywhere recognize it as the Phoenix...

James Boba Fettfield
05-22-2003, 05:35 PM
I think he meant to say he isn't going to watch it again until he buys it.

JediTricks
05-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Their powers just were useless in this case.... Cyclops can't eye blast it away.... Bobby's not powerful or skilled enough at this point to create a wall of ice large enough and thick enough to stop the water. Once again, on these 2, where in the film are we shown or told these things are the case? We never see Bobby struggling with his powers, his ice wall comes up with no effort at all. We're shown in the first film that Scott without his visor is ridiculously powerful, where do we get the suggestion that his optic blasts couldn't cut a path in the water?

My point is still this, we aren't given a reason why they don't try this type of stuff and we don't see them work as a team to try and save their own lives.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Blah blah blah.

Picked up the score tonight and it's quite nifty so far, anyway, found it funny there is a shot on the inside cover of everybody at the white house and there is Jean standing there too. hehehehehehe Granted, it is a promo shot,but still had to chuckle at the thought. Superherohype as info up on the blooper reel and i tsounds funny. check it out. :D

RooJay
05-23-2003, 02:14 AM
...do we get the suggestion that his optic blasts couldn't cut a path in the water?

That's hilarious! Why didn't I think of that one?:D :crazed: ;)

BlahBlahBlah
05-23-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Blah blah blah.

Yes?

:p

Exhaust Port
05-24-2003, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I think he meant to say he isn't going to watch it again until he buys it.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I for got the word "again" in that sentence. :D

jjreason
05-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I wouldn't have exactly put it that way. Their powers just were useless in this case..... Storm's power doesn't work that way.

Im not so sure, JJB. Storm has long been one of the most powerful mutants in the books. If she'd put her mind to it she could have created a wind strong enough to lift the plane off the ground (by blowing it under the wings of the plane, creating the lift you'd usually need the plane screaming down the runway to get), and possibly one strong enough to hold back the water. She also has the ability to soar on the winds, and could have flown at least one other person to safety.

Im with JT on at least one point here - they should have been trying something instead of just sitting there.

smurfvader
05-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Just a few comments for you Jar Jar

1. They are actual physical wounds on her body, she can only make her apperance fit the person she's immitating. She can't hide any obvious injuries. Like if she had lost an arm, she can't disguise the lost arm
I disagree with you about that. If she were turn herself into a man and strip down she would be fully equiped, so if she can add things she can make them disappear as well.

thought that part was great. It's not like Wolverine is impervious to pain. He took it better then most people would if they put a burning cigar out in their hand. And with his amazing healing factor, no reason to not do it other then some pain.
Never said he was impervious to pain, just has a high tolerance. he winced and said ow for comical purposes. In my perception of the character if he were to put it outin his hand he'd wince and say nothing.

And Jedi_Master_Guyute

I agree Jar Jar. The scene w/ Wolverine getting seperated from Stryker wasn't dumb, at least to me. He was trying to get answers from his past and that was blocked off from him. I'm sure if i didn't know anything about my past, i'd have the same reaction as well
I never sid that the 2 of them getting seperated was stupid, I just said Wolverine putting his hand on the ice on the same spot that Stryker had his was stupid

also James Boba Fettfield

Would you prefer he put the cigar out in his hair? His clothes? Professor X's bald head? Wolverine was just doing the polite thing by following the Professor's request and being cool at the same time. Now if you don't mind, I have the urge to smoke a cigar like my hero
How about he puts the cigar on the floor and steps on it? That's what most people would do. I didn't say I had a problem with him putting the cigar out on his hand, just him saying ow.

JIm

jjreason
05-27-2003, 02:34 AM
Just a ploy to show off his healing factor for those who missed all 600 comics he's been in, and the first X-Men movie. Every comic (and apparently now every comic movie) has to provide enough background so that the first-time reader/viewer has enough to go on.

Eternal Padawan
05-27-2003, 07:37 AM
I think in the comics, Wolverine (and Benjamin J. Grimm, Nick Fury, etc) are verboten from smoking stogies anymore. Quesada said "..these guys are role models, so they shouldn't be puffin' on stogies where kids are gonna see them and say HEY THATS COOL!" (Paraphrasing of course, but...) Don't remember where I read that, but I haven't seen a cigar in (comic book) Logan's mouth in a while.

RooJay
05-27-2003, 11:18 AM
That's very true. I'm sure I've read that same thing somewhere as well, but can't recall exactly. What is also true is that Quesada is a self-professed non-smoker and not only fully supports the 'Truth' anti-smoking campaign, but actually has begun promoting it in the comics themselves; you can find the 'truth' logo in the backgrounds of many recent Marvel comics in some form or another.

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 11:44 AM
I don't smoke and have no intention of starting it, but when I see those annoying Truth ads, I want to light up just out of spite.

Give Wolvie back his stogie!! :mad:

RooJay
05-27-2003, 12:49 PM
I hear that. I personally hate the very smell of cigarettes, but we all know Wolvie is a stogie chomper; why try to hide it now?
Honestly, I can see how Thing and Nick Fury would probably try to quit smoking, being as how they tend to be more or less mortal, but I'm absolutely sure Wolvie's lungs would just heal right up after a smoke and honestly can't see how it'd be possible to convince him to give it up if he finds it enjoyable.

The Overlord Returns
05-27-2003, 12:51 PM
I hear that. I personally hate the very smell of cigarettes, but we all know Wolvie is a stogie chomper; why try to hide it now?
Honestly, I can see how Thing and Nick Fury would probably try to quit smoking, being as how they tend to be more or less mortal, but I'm absolutely sure Wolvie's lungs would just heal right up after a smoke and honestly can't see how it'd be possible to convince him to give it up if he finds it enjoyable.

Actually, I remember a scene in the comic where wolvie is talking about smoking to jubilee. He points out how he can do it because his lungs will heal, but others should never, ever smoke. It was a hilarious bit of public service from the canucklehead.

JediTricks
05-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by smurfvader
Never said he was impervious to pain, just has a high tolerance. he winced and said ow for comical purposes. In my perception of the character if he were to put it outin his hand he'd wince and say nothing. You know what? That's true, Logan says extending the claws hurts every time yet he doesn't yelp in pain whenever he extends his claws. The cigar should have made him look slightly uncomfortable for a second and be done - then again, I've seen people put out cigarettes in their hands and it doesn't cause anywhere near that much physical damage, so maybe this was a mutant cigar that had special superheat powers. ;)

El Chuxter
05-27-2003, 04:19 PM
One possibility I've not seen come up about Logan and the cigar: he was being a smart-aleck. This is, after all, the same guy who used his claw to flip off Cyclops in the first movie. It wouldn't take telepathic powers for him to know Xavier is thinking how the cigar has to hurt, so I don't find it out of character at all for him to play it up a bit.

The Overlord Returns
05-28-2003, 08:31 AM
Umm...yeah....I assumed the "ow" was sarcastic in nature......

El Chuxter
05-28-2003, 04:49 PM
I picked up the score by John Ottman last night, and it is awesome. Not quite John Williams or Danny Elfman, but close enough.

I had VH1 or MTV on in the background this morning and the video for Pink's "Don't Let Me Get Me" came on. Not that I'm advocating for Bryan Singer to include the ridiculously stupid Boom-Boom in X3 (unless she gets stomped on by Sentinels very quickly), but if some demon possess him and makes him want to include Boom-Boom, Pink would be perfect for that role.

RooJay
05-29-2003, 01:31 PM
Except Boomer is known for being very much a precocious teenager and Pink hasn't been on for quite a long time.;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Hey, got a quick question about the movie: I was watching it for the 2035252087th time today and something i still am shaky on, when Xavier hands the Prez those files and he says, "Where did you get these?" or something along those lines, and he says, "i know a little girl who can walk through walls" and then they cut to Nightcrawler giggling, does this mean it was actually good ole' Kurt who got them, and if so, when and where? If not, when did Kitty get them, on the way to the White House, but i didn't even know she had been caught. I'm hoping this was discussed in the novel, but any help would be good. Thanks in advance! :D

El Chuxter
06-02-2003, 12:12 PM
It's like I said: some contractual obligation limits them to showing Kitty go through a wall or floor once, and one mention of a "girl who can walk through walls." :crazed:

The Overlord Returns
06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
I think it was merely a little joke on Xaviers part. It is much more likely that Kurt got in and retrieved them, rather than an untrained girl.

RooJay
06-02-2003, 12:32 PM
I think it was more a case of Xavier's implication of that old phrase "I have my ways...". Afterall, since he knows a girl who can walk through walls he surely has plenty of other means of accomplishing the feat as well.
For the record, I don't see how it would be at all impossible or hard to believe that Kitty actually was the one Xavier used to get hold of the files; she can freakin' walk through walls afterall.

The Overlord Returns
06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
I think it was more a case of Xavier's implication of that old phrase "I have my ways...". Afterall, since he knows a girl who can walk through walls he surely has plenty of other means of accomplishing the feat as well.
For the record, I don't see how it would be at all impossible or hard to believe that Kitty actually was the one Xavier used to get hold of the files; she can freakin' walk through walls afterall.

Oh it is a possiblity, I just didn't take the line literally. I got the impression that kitty was one of the younger mutants, and it's doubtful that Proffessor X would risk her safety, when, like you said, there were other mutants who were more than likely better trained.

RooJay
06-02-2003, 01:46 PM
Based on my previous post, I think it goes without saying that I don't take the line literally either. However, it should be pointed out that Kitty would be at little risk in an operation like this - unless she was expected to show up and retrieve the files, and unless those in charge of storing them had some kind of capability of jamming or negating her abilities. Kitty would be in little danger at all being as how she is capable of becoming completely intangible to conventional weapons as well as walls. It was partially due to this fact (and to the potency and potential of her abilities) that she was made an active member of the X-Men from very early on in the comics (she was only sixteen and had just recently been discovered and 'rescued' by Xavier).

The Overlord Returns
06-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Based on my previous post, I think it goes without saying that I don't take the line literally either. However, it should be pointed out that Kitty would be at little risk in an operation like this - unless she was expected to show up and retrieve the files, and unless those in charge of storing them had some kind of capability of jamming or negating her abilities. Kitty would be in little danger at all being as how she is capable of becoming completely intangible to conventional weapons as well as walls.

I didn't say you took it literally ;)

I could agree with you. kitty could possibly do the deed with little to no personal risk. I suppose it depends on how advanced "film" kitty's control over her own abilities is. It's one thing to phase accurately through a stationary hunk of wood and drywall, it's another thing to keep it up while trying to achieve an objective while possibly having heavily armed marksman firing at you from multiple directions.

RooJay
06-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
I didn't say you took it literally ;)

I didn't say you said I took it literally. ;)

The Overlord Returns
06-02-2003, 01:57 PM
I didn't say you said I took it literally. ;)

I didn't say you said I said you took it literally ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Ah, in between the slight bickering, I think there is some truth to the idea it was Nightcrawler. Cause I'm not even sure if Kitty was captured by Stryker nor when she would be able to even get access into his files, cause where did he keep his files? on his computer? or his base?

The Overlord Returns
06-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Ah, in between the slight bickering, I think there is some truth to the idea it was Nightcrawler. Cause I'm not even sure if Kitty was captured by Stryker nor when she would be able to even get access into his files, cause where did he keep his files? on his computer? or his base?

Wasn't kitty among those who got out with Colossus?

AT-AT Man
06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
yeah i'm pretty sure Kitty got out with colossus and the other kids.

RooJay
06-02-2003, 04:19 PM
Two points:

- It seemed to me that Stryker's files were kept at the same facility Magneto's prison cell was located in. You may recall that this is where Mystique was (having infiltrated while disguied as Lady Deathstrike) when she discovered those same (or similar, at least) files. In any case, this was definitely and obviously not Stryker's Alkali Lake facility.

- The scene at the White House obviously does not take place directly after the X-Men's escape from Alkali lake anyway, and it is therefore entirely possible that enough time had passed for them to return to the Institute, reunite with with the mutant children who had escaped with, and were protected by Colossus, and delivered Kitty to Stryker's other facility to retrieve the files.

I don't recall that it was ever implied that the X-Men had picked up the files while they were at Styrker's Alkali Lake facility and before their escape from that base. Kitty would not have to ever have been to Alkali Lake at any point in order to retrieve the files from Stryker, and almost certainly had been hiding under the protection of Colossus during the films climactic end battle.

El Chuxter
09-04-2003, 02:36 PM
The Digital Bits has posted a review of the upcoming DVD here (http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews2/x2.html).

Of special interest:

You get eleven deleted scenes - more accurately described as extended scenes or deleted moments - thankfully in anamorphic widescreen. The best of these is a brief moment with the character of Jubilee in the museum. . . .

Can't wait! But seriously, at the rate her screen time (counting deleted scenes) is increasing, I expect her to be the star of X4. :cool:

Beast
09-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Just as long as Beast is the star of X3, then you can have your Jubilee-centric movie be X4. Frankly, X3 is the perfect time for to bring Beast in. With Jean supposedly dead, the School/X-Men need a new doctor. Hello, Dr. Henry 'Hank' Philip McCoy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
09-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Jar Jar I totally agree with you on that one. If they brought Mr. McCoy into the picture, bigger than his little cameo in X2, I'd be way mor than happier, I'd be thrilled.

I can't really rmember if this one was brought up before, but watching the deleted scenes, I renoticed that there is a file entitled Project Omega Red. Damn, i he's in X3, i would be very happy, and know my friend would be too.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-04-2003, 04:57 PM
I downloaded that scene w/ Jubilee of Superhero Hype, and it's kinda short, but enough to get your mouth watering. When you heard those electric charges and see them, it's a fanboy moment.

Plus, the actress playing her is gorgeous, so that's a huge plus. ;)

Anakin2121
09-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Beast was in the novel. :)

I heard there was also an elaborate Danger Room sequence, but it was totally scrapped. What gives? :(

Beast
09-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Novel....bah. I want to see the Bouncing Blue Beast in action, not read about him. Ah well, I guess I'll have to depend on Evo and the old 90's toon for my Beast fix. :D

As for the Danger Room, yes there was a big elaborate scene planned. But it was scrapped due to the budget. The director wanted to do it, just like he wanted to do Beast in 1 and 2. Hopefully his dreams (and mine) come true in X3. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
09-04-2003, 08:04 PM
yes, i also can't waitto see the danger room, and our fav little mutants practiing in it.

El Chuxter
09-05-2003, 12:09 PM
Guyote, are you saying that a certain spunky lil' mutant gets to break funky with some fireworkin'?

I'm so looking forward to this, even more than yesterday. Profanity could not even express my excitement.

"I ain't yer sweetie, Cajun!" :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Chuxter- well, i'll describe the scene to you now if you want, if you don't wanna know, browse over this post, now.

basically, Jubilee goes off wandering in the museum by herself and is looking at some display about evolution. She then hears whispering and sees people staring at her and snickering, making comments, etc.

She then looks down at her hands and kinda brings them together and the fireworks/sparks kinda shoot back and forth for a few seconds. She then kinda shakes her head (i think) and walks off. Nothing too extravagant, but it touched me in a way only nerdery could. hehehehehhe :D

tagmac
09-14-2003, 11:07 PM
I'm a bit disappointed....woulda' been nice if there was a deleted scene with Colossus fighting a few more of the soldiers.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Hey, here is something to get my fellow fanboy friends mouths salivating like mine: some artwork of the sentinels! pics are thanks to www.x3movie.net Enjoy!! :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-07-2004, 07:08 PM
Here is some random X-3 news from SHH.com. Good news for Beast fans (eyes JJB!) :D

Producer Lauren Shuler Donner tells Sci Fi Wire that they are targeting a June, 2005 start for filming on X-Men 3 in Vancouver for a May, 2006 release date.

"I just had a conversation with [director] Bryan [Singer] today," Shuler Donner said in an interview at the Saturn Awards in Los Angeles on May 5. "We just started to talk about what the possibilities are. We're pretty sure Wolverine's going to come back."

Shuler Donner added that she's going to push to add the new mutants Gambit and Beast this time around. "I'm dying to put Beast in," Shuler Donner said. "I tried to get Beast in the first one and the second one, but it was always too expensive. So, yeah, I'm really dying to get Beast in, and I'd love to get Gambit in, because he's such a cool guy. And there's some really good casting ideas for Gambit."

Should be interesting to see who is casted for Gambit and what Beast ends up looking like! Cheers! :D

Rocketboy
05-07-2004, 10:48 PM
Hugh Jackman also recently said that he's not 100% into doing X-Men 3, but if they had a great story he'd be there. He also said it would also be hard for him to let anyone else play Logan...for now.

-Durge-
05-08-2004, 07:52 AM
Hey, here is something to get my fellow fanboy friends mouths salivating like mine: some artwork of the sentinels! pics are thanks to www.x3movie.net (http://www.x3movie.net/) Enjoy!! :DWho is that supposed to be?

Reefer Shark
05-08-2004, 11:19 AM
That's a Sentinel.. Looks really cool to me.

It's got the "destroyer droid action" going, pretty neat. I imagine them rolling through the X mansion and wasting Halle Berry.... er... I mean Storm.

I was just reading the "what's it going to take to Halle back", jeez man.... does every big female star have to act like a spoiled diva??? Just play the frickin' part you brat! Or better yet... don't play the part. They can just act like Storm died in a mission, and then we don't have to suffer through your stiff lines. Storm comes off as a boring character in the flicks anyways IMO.

....ok... Halle Berry rant over....

THE Slayer
05-08-2004, 01:29 PM
I don't really care if Halle is back as storm or not.
Seeing someone else play logan may be disconcerting.

Kinda related... One of the characters in Van Helsing made me think of the beast and what he would look like on the big screen, and no it wasn't the werewolf, I just dont want to 'spoil' anything.
:roll eyes:

evenflow
05-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Well I hope Gambit makes it into 3. Beast would be cool too, more Colossus as well.

THE Slayer
05-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I would like to see Gambit as well, I guess they could do something with the whole rouge, bobby, remy angle... But one love triangle is enough. Although Jean is dead...
Hmm.
I would like to see Archangel and Psylocke too. I think X3 would be a good place to insert Betsy as the resident psychic of the group. Or at least the psychic who actualy goes on field missions.

And since they already introduced Jubilee and Colossus they may as well use them!

darthvyn
05-09-2004, 12:14 PM
no gambit no gambit no gambit no gambit!!!!!!!!

that character sucks.

the roster of x3 should be somewhat like "giant size x-men #1" when they introduced the "new" x-men: wolverine, colossus, storm, and nightcrawler plus rogue, iceman, and beast. that would be an awesome team!

jean shouldn't come back yet, cyclops should be on a "sabatical" trying to piece together his life after jean's departure.

bad guys could include: magneto (natch, he's awesome...) mystique, pyro, sabertooth, lady deathstrike (she's gotta come back... mageto can manipulate metal and she's got a healing factor...) maybe introduce apocalypse (that would be too cool...)

everyone should come together at the end of the movie back at groom lake (maybe that's where they're creating sentinels) and the phoenix bursts out of the lake to save them all...

2-1B
05-09-2004, 12:59 PM
I love Vyn's ideas ! More Colossus, less (or no) Cyclops, and NO Gambit would be very interesting to me. Beast could join the fold, hell yeah . . . and I need Nightcrawler, Rogue, and Wolverine (Jackman, of course).

If Jackman doesn't want to come back, I'd rather they just leave him out of the story instead of recasting. But due to the popularity of the character, I think they would recast rather than omit him.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-09-2004, 01:02 PM
I concure with ya, Mr. C, Vyn's ideas sound really awesome. I also think that Jean's Phoenix thing shouldn't be touched upon until a 4th film as it would be great to leave that story on the backburner.

The idea of them all reuniting at the lake and Jean busting out in her phoenix form would be amazing and probably cause the wetting of many pairs of pants worn by fanboys, including myself. Great ideas, Vyn! :D

2-1B
05-09-2004, 01:22 PM
DEFINITELY leave Jean "dead" throughout the next film . . . that would really draw things out and give it more power when she does return.

I wanted to add that I TOTALLY know what The Slayer was talking about when using Van Helsing and Beast in the same thoght - I had the exact same reaction.

Beast
05-09-2004, 02:03 PM
*JJB pokes his head in and ahems*

"Don't wanna be a prick, but there is an X-3 thread already." :)

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=21394

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

evenflow
05-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but I just saw it, so just in case for those who have not:

"When Mystique is hacking Stryker's files, there is a list of the real names of some mutants. Below is a list of those names along with their mutant aliases:
1. Guthrie, Paige (Husk)
2. Guthrie, Samuel (Cannonball)
3. Harada, Keniucho (known as The Silver Samurai)
4. Kane, Garrison (Weapon X)
5. LeBeau, Remy (Gambit)
6. Lensherr, Eric M (Magneto)
7. Maddicks, Artie (Artie)
8. Madrox, Jamie (Multiple Man)
9. Mahn, Xi'an Coy (Karma)
10. Maximoff (2) (Wanda and Pietro, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver. Names weren't specified)
11. McTaggart, Kevin (Proteus)
12. Moonstar, Danielle (Moonstar)
13. Munroe, Ororo (Storm)

There are also folders on the other computer:
1. Omega Red: The Russian Super Soldier
2. Muir Island: The Scottish Mutant Research Facility
3. Project Wideawake: The Sentinal Project
4. Franklin Richards: The Mutant Born son of Sue (Invisible Woman) and Reed Richards (Mr. Fantastic) of the Fantastic Four"

Rocketboy
05-10-2004, 09:55 AM
Never noticed the other folders. Cool stuff.
It's a good tip to the fans and hints at what may be in store for possible sequels.

El Chuxter
05-10-2004, 12:11 PM
The perfect story would be Gambit showing up, being killed in his first appearance by Sentinels, who take almost all the X-Men hostage. As Cyclops picks his nose like a dork, the only three X-Men not captured--Jubilee, Colossus, and Beast--have to break bad on the Sentinels and save their comrades in time for big American party!!

Who is driving? Bear is driving? But how can that be?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-10-2004, 02:21 PM
The perfect story would be Gambit showing up, being killed in his first appearance by Sentinels, who take almost all the X-Men hostage. As Cyclops picks his nose like a dork, the only three X-Men not captured--Jubilee, Colossus, and Beast--have to break bad on the Sentinels and save their comrades in time for big American party!!

Who is driving? Bear is driving? But how can that be?

Look, it's Tom cruise!!! You want the truth, you can't handle the truth!!
It's Axel Folley and Judge Reinhold!!! :crazed:

LOL :D

Tycho
01-27-2007, 06:09 AM
I've just completed watching every super hero film I own or had interested in renting (with the exception of X-Men 3, which I'll get to in a little while).

X- 2: X-Men United has to be the best super heroes film ever made!

I enjoyed it more than the Spider-Man films and Singer's own Superman Returns.

I was never an X-men fan previously and didn't know the characters or read the comics before they came out with this movie.

Now it rules!

In X2 all the cast had something important to do and it was a very well-paced movie one could never get tired of watching!