PDA

View Full Version : X² (The next X-Men movie)

Pages : [1] 2

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2002, 09:20 PM
Just thought I'd start the inevitable thread with the news that Ethan Embry has been cast as Nightcrawler and some other guy is playing Pyro and those are the only new mutants in the movie.

No Gambit.

MichaelV103
05-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Sounds cool, I have always liked Nightcrawler. Who is the new bad guy in this one? Does anyone know yet?

mylow thehutt
05-28-2002, 09:56 PM
also heard Beast was in it,They also said that Gambit was not in it because wolveren was going to be the only funny rebel in the moive and they thought there was no need for Gambit.

Eternal Padawan
05-28-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by MichaelV103
Sounds cool, I have always liked Nightcrawler. Who is the new bad guy in this one? Does anyone know yet?

Last I heard, the story revolves around Magneto again (since Ian signed up for two films like everyone else) and Sentinels and more tidbits about Logan's past that will bear fruit in the third film.

And no Beast. Since neither Nightcrawler nor Pyro are the Beast.

Wolfwood319
05-28-2002, 10:51 PM
Never liked that pretty boy cajun!:Pirate:

Actually, I really wouldn't be interested in seeing any characters in the film that didn't appear in the books until post byrne/claremont. I love Nightcrawlerl, and look forward to seeing him on the big screen. I just hope that X2, DD, and the rest of the comic book movies are decent, so as to keep them afloat in theaters. "Batman & Robin" left a pretty big bad impression in hollywood, and we're only now recoverine.

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 12:10 AM
No Beast? Well that blows! :mad: Seeing Monsters Inc. gave me great hope for the possibilities of the Beast's look. I actually like the human look better, but knew that version would never be in the movie. Oh well, Beast was my second favorite mutant so I guess it is all for the best that my vision of him isn't tainted by a movie. Like what happened to my favorite mutant, Jean Grey. They totally ruined her character by making her the "old woman" on the team.

I kind of wish they weren't using Magneto again; but a contract is a contract.

2-1B
05-29-2002, 03:29 AM
Yeah, I noticed that Nick Pappageorgio from Yuma is playing Nightcrawler. :p
I've never been into the comics, so I am disconnected in that sense . . . but I loved the first X film and can't wait for the second! :cool:

Hey bigB, have you seen the X-Men DVD? There's an easter egg of concept art for Beast from when they were considering him for the first movie.

Can I ask everyone who your favorite characters were from the movie? I loved Wolverine and Rogue :kiss: plus I thought Magneto was brilliant. So those were my 3 faves. B, I'll have to disagree with you on wanting to see Magneto in X-Men 2.

Eternal Padawan
05-29-2002, 08:31 AM
I thought Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman gave great performances. They were both really into their roles and looked like they were having a good time. So was our boy Ray. He seemed to be having a lot of fun bouncing around, speaking with his natural accent.
Patrick Stewart was good as the Prof.
Tyler whatisname was good as Sabretooth. I wanted him to have a bigger part. More dialogue etc. I think as an "actor" he could have handled it.
Marsden and Jansen were mediocre as Scott and Jean. I liked Marsden's stoic, hall monitor take, but he didn't have enough to do and Wolvie stole all his scenes. If the series has legs, I want to see one film focus on Scott and Havoc as the antagonist. It would give Marsden a chance to shine in the role. Rebecca Rojmin Stamos just looked blue and naked. But that was all she had to do.
"Academy Award Winner" Halle Berry was crap and looked bored and looked like she didn't want to be there and did nothing but complain about her role and performed the worst out of the whole bunch.

jjreason
05-29-2002, 02:07 PM
I think Magneto is the best bet for one more movie. Odds are they're going to run with X-Men for at least one more after this. The really great villains in Marvel are Spidey's or the FF's...the only top notch villain the X-Men dealt with first is Magneto. Mind you, there are other cool bad guys, but none that have gone as Marvel-Universally bad as Maggie. I hope they put a generous dose of Maggie and Xavier dialogue in, the chess game at the end of X-Men was smokin'! I didn't like their take on Toad, he's a comic relief lackey, not frickin Spider-Man. Crikey. No fault to Ray Park, he did very well.
I was a little disappointed in Halle Berry as well, I think she's used to being more center stage. I wonder if she thought she'd have more screen time when she signed up and got mad once they started paring back her time?? I kind of thought it looked that way. The character Storm is one of my favourites, though. I hope she's back.

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 05:08 PM
From the actual movie I must say that I was most impressed with Hugh Jackman, he was perfect with the comic in his look and acting, at least how he looked when he appeared after Giant-Sized X-Men when John Byrne was drawing him (before he became a steroid freak). I didn't like how much they weakened his character (they obviously removed his whole "samurai" past as there is no way Mystique would survive two seconds against the comic book Wolverine.); but aside from all that, they simplified his character enough to make him accessible to new fans and that was good. That cage fight was so quintessential Wolverine that it made up for everything else.

Rogue was good, even though she was totally rewritten.

Magneto was awesome and I really don't mind seeing him in X2, I just hope we get some other cool villians to go with him. (I love the explanation they gave for the purpose of his helmet, brilliant)

Sabertooth looked about 1000000 times cooler than any comic book rendition, he just needed to be more than a dim-witted thug.

Cyclops was a moron (wearing your goggles in public,? great idea, idiot!)
Jean was ruined, explained in my previous post
Storm was boring and bored
Professor X kept making me want to see the Starship Enterprise but otherwise great.
Toad was funny and a definite improvement over the comic
Mystique was ummmm.... interesting; but lobotomized like Sabertooth

mylow thehutt
05-29-2002, 05:18 PM
will toad be in X2, he was my fav,also liked Wolveren.And just loved saber tooth (not in that kind a way) also heard in X-men 3 there will be a new cast.

RooJay
05-31-2002, 05:51 AM
The latest news is that Ethan Embry is NOT playing Nightcrawler (good thing in my opinion; I've liked his work in the past, but he's just not right for Nightcrawler). That role is reportedly now going to Alan Cummings! A much better choice I think! He's a bit old for what I'd envisioned for the character, but he's a great actor and otherwise looks the part as far as I'm concerned!

I for one am glad there's no Gambit! I liked the guy when he first appeared, but as time went on I learned to really dislike the character, and hate where he's ended up.

A shame about there being no Beast in this one though. I think he'd have been great even in just a cameo role! I was also hoping to see Colossus in X2 as well. He's by far my favorite X-Man!

Eternal Padawan
05-31-2002, 09:05 AM
They are saving mutants for when the first actors get too expensive to pay. It will lend longevity to the series.

El Chuxter
05-31-2002, 02:55 PM
As long as Gambit, Apocalypse, and Onslaught are absent, it'll be a great movie! :D

Hopefully Jubilee will have a bigger role and save her less-cool teammates! She like rules, and stuff, okay?

jjreason
06-01-2002, 04:22 AM
I don't hate Gambit, and I think Harry Connick Jr. would be perfect for the role. LISTEN IN HOLLYWOOD AND MARVEL!! All kidding aside, Gambit's highlights have been excellent in the books. He could even create a little tension if he was after Rogue. We could see Wolvie as protective or even a little jealous. Sorry, Im into the "character" scenes in movies like this!

2-1B
06-02-2002, 12:15 AM
RooJay, Alan Cumming is around 37 years old - how old does Nightcrawler seem to be? I'm not familiar with the characters' ages, other than Logan being pretty old.

:eek: I can't believe the headline FilmForce.net used to announce the casting switch. :eek:

SithDroid
06-02-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by RooJay
The latest news is that Ethan Embry is NOT playing Nightcrawler (good thing in my opinion; I've liked his work in the past, but he's just not right for Nightcrawler). That role is reportedly now going to Alan Cummings! A much better choice I think! He's a bit old for what I'd envisioned for the character, but he's a great actor and otherwise looks the part as far as I'm concerned!

I for one am glad there's no Gambit! I liked the guy when he first appeared, but as time went on I learned to really dislike the character, and hate where he's ended up.

A shame about there being no Beast in this one though. I think he'd have been great even in just a cameo role! I was also hoping to see Colossus in X2 as well. He's by far my favorite X-Man!

You are correct about Alan Cumming playing Nightcrawler. He is a little old to be playing Nightcrawler, but then again Anna Paquin was WAY too young to play Rogue. Rogue is much older than 17 or 18. Cumming will do a great job as Nightcrawler although I would have liked to have seen Embry in the role. He hasn't done anything in a while and this really could have helped start up his career again.

I would really like to see Gambit in a future X-Men movie. I think they are saving him for when Rogue becomes more mature to start the love fued between the two.

I'm dissappointed that Beast is not in the movie as well. Let's at least get all the ORIGINAL X-Men in the series some how and not just the POPULAR ones. Other favorites of mine that I would love to see that are underapppreciated are: Iceman (an older version than the one in the first X-Men), Angel/Archangel (one of the coolest original members), Cable and Bishop would be really cool for later on in the series, Sentinels (it's time we saw these as well), and Colossus.

As for Jubilee, I hope we don't see her. I always thought her powers were pretty lame, Hey look everybody I can shoot fireworks out of my hands. Lame IMO.

Apocalypse would be a great new villain as well as Mr. Sinister.

As for James Marsden (Cyclops), I would really like to see more from his character. Marsden is a really talented actor. He was in a movie called Gossip (which was pretty bad), but he did a really great job in it.

bigbarada
06-02-2002, 03:39 PM
I think Apocalypse would be a great villian to add for the third movie. It would be a perfect way to introduce Archangel. Y'know as "Death: The Fourth Horseman" then he gets somehow convinced into joining the X-Men and helps to defeat Apocalypse. Sure it would be a complete departure from the comics, as it would dismiss the fact that Angel was an X-Man before being one of Apocalypse's Horsemen; but which character in the films is even remotely close to their comic book counterpart anyway (apart from name and powers of course)? I think Collosus would also be a cool character to put in the movie.

jjreason
06-03-2002, 03:08 AM
I would agree with the Colossus assessment. Dead though he may be (still? Im not even sure) he was my first favorite X-Man. They could really do awesome work with his skin if they worked at it. I would also agree that Apocalypse has to be villain #2 on the list, even though he's not a classic like Mags. I also think they could do a lot with Lilandra and the Shiar, the brood, etc. Kind of been done to death in the movies though with the Alien run and every space movie under the sun. Oh well, I liked those issues of the comics.

El Chuxter
06-03-2002, 03:26 PM
He might still be dead. I'm a bit confused over the state of the Marvel U after looking through a Spider-Man comic this weekend. Norman Osborne back among the living? Harry died of a drug overdose rather than his noble death as Green Goblin II way back in Spectacular Spidey? May alive? Peter working for the Bugle again? MJ and Peter apparently not married?

So, um, in X-Men, Wolverine's probably been revealed to be Nightcrawlers' father or something.

Oh, and Jubilee isn't cool because of her powers. It's the attitude. :D

SithDroid
06-03-2002, 06:39 PM
El Chuxter - The reason that the Spider-man comic is like that is because they completely started all over again with the series to try and bring it up to date with modern audiences. I don't see why they decided to do that. I hate it when they close a series just to restart it with the same title.

RooJay
06-03-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
RooJay, Alan Cumming is around 37 years old - how old does Nightcrawler seem to be? I'm not familiar with the characters' ages, other than Logan being pretty old.

:eek: I can't believe the headline FilmForce.net used to announce the casting switch. :eek:

Nightcrawler in current comic continuity seems to be in his early to mid-thirties. In his first appearance in the comics he probably would've been in his early twenties. Not that it would matter much as far as the movie would be concerned; Jean and Scott SHOULD be more or less the same age (in the movies they are not), Rogue would be in her early to mid-twenties in the comics and she's certainly supposed to be older than Jubilee (she's much younger in the movies), and if movie continuity was dictated by comics continuity we would'nt have even seen Jubilee, Pyro would've been a villain (and older), Nightcrawler would've already been a member, Wolverine would've joined the team way before Rogue appeared, etc.. Alan Cumming just looks the part much more than Ethan Embry to me.

By MY estimations of the characters ages in the comics:

Cyclops, Jean, and Storm - early to mid-thirties
Wolverine - apparently mid-thirties to early forties (actually much older)
Rogue - early to mid-twenties
Pyro - as young as mid-twenties to as high as mid-thirties (not much age reference for him in the comics)
Nightcrawler - early to mid-thirties

RooJay
06-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
So, um, in X-Men, Wolverine's probably been revealed to be Nightcrawlers' father or something.

They kind of revealed that Mystique was Nightcrawler's mother a while back! Rogue's too!:confused:

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2002, 12:05 PM
Kelly Hu, last seen as the sorceress in "The Scorpion King", has signed on to play the right-hand woman to the main villain Striker in the upcoming sequel...

2-1B
06-06-2002, 01:42 PM
How do you like the title, "X squared" ?

Personally I was fine with X-Men 2 (or X-Men Too in relation to Pyro and Nightcrawler :rolleyes: ) but I guess X2 is alright . . .

Eternal Padawan
06-06-2002, 02:50 PM
I would have liked to have seen variations like the comic titles. Like "Uncanny X-Men" or "X-Men: X-Factor"

I keep hoping the next Spider-man movie isn't Spider-Man 2, but instead "The Amazing Spider-Man" or "The Spectacular Spider-Man" or "The Web of Spider-Man"

Unfortunately, Hollywood isn't that creative. :(

RooJay
06-06-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Kelly Hu, last seen as the sorceress in "The Scorpion King", has signed on to play the right-hand woman to the main villain Striker in the upcoming sequel...

I have heard this too. Her character is known as "Anne". The only question I have about that is, WHO THE HELL ARE STRIKER AND ANNE?!! With all the great characters that already exist as part of the X-Men mythos, WHY are they already making up their own?!! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, and these two actually are existing X-Men characters! Pointless!:rolleyes:

saladin
06-08-2002, 12:51 AM
I'dlove a colousus, he is really sweet. Or an angel, or Multiple man.

jjreason
06-09-2002, 08:01 PM
My hopes is that Striker and Ann are based on exising characters. For the love of god, imagine Kelly Hu dressed up in the Black Queen get up from the Hellfire Club.....okay, sorry, Im back and feeling much more relaxed. The Inner Circle of the Hellfire club would make excellent movie bad guys. Even if they're going by a different name. I hope it's along those line.

Eternal Padawan
06-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Katie Stuart has landed the role of Kitty Pryde, a role Sumela Kay played in the original...

bigbarada
06-10-2002, 12:26 PM
Wasn't Striker the Cable clone from the comics?

darthvyn
06-10-2002, 03:04 PM
that was "stryfe" and if they ever bring cable into the x-men movies, i'll shoot a whole bunch of people...

Eternal Padawan
06-11-2002, 07:44 AM
I always thought Cable would eventually turn into Stryfe. I thought he'd fight crime for a few years, then realize he was evil and time travel back to when he first fought the X-Men. Instead Marvel copped out and did the whole "clone" thing. BORRRING.

I'm with RooJay about this whole Striker nonsense. Where's Apocalypse? or Sinister? Instead we get lame, second rate movie villains. Ah well, at least Sir Ian is back for another go.

lunchymeatball
06-11-2002, 08:12 AM
Bring on Apocalypse. IMO he is the best of all villains that ever pitted their evil intent against the X Men.
It would have to be CGI to fully explore his powers and with the Egyptian origin story as flashbacks throughout the film would be class.
Sugerman for next film would be a cool sub-villain

Eternal Padawan
06-19-2002, 10:04 AM
An official release has been sent out to various casting agencies with a short synopsis: "The X-Men reunite again as Magneto breaks from jail, and Henry Gyrich is revealed to be alive working with Military Officer Agent Stryker to build Sentinels. The X-Men also recruit 2 new team members, Gambit and Nightcrawler". Meanwhile Canada.Com reports that Brian Cox ("The Bourne Identity", "The Long Kiss Goodnight"), the first man to play Hannibal Lecter is in talks for the role of the film's main villain 'Stryker', whilst the official site has been slightly updated.

jjreason
06-20-2002, 02:16 AM
So the inevitable "2 longstanding foes unite to conquer a common foe" cliche'd plot will be in full effect. Welcome to the X-Men, Mags. Hope you survive the experience.....
Im sure it will be wonderful viewing, however. I like Magneto as an X-Man. That whole "Joseph" thing from a couple of years ago was a little too obtuse, however. Real Magneto, with his ideals still intact, providing a cool juxtaposition with Xavier for the students. Im going to read Uncanny 200 right now!

One other thing, the X-Men would NOT benefit from being seen working with Mags. This will set the stage for more anti-Xmen setiment in the general public for subsequent movies, and likely even by the end of part 2. Cool.

RooJay
06-21-2002, 11:40 PM
GOD! I hope that news about Gambit being in it afterall is fake! I can't stand that guy anymore!:rolleyes:

scruffziller
06-26-2002, 11:50 PM
No way, Gambit was one of the coolest XMen ever. I wonder if it will have Captain America in it with Nick Fury and all them.

Eternal Padawan
07-12-2002, 10:22 AM
UPDATE from Darkhorizons...

X2: 'April 27' updates us on the status of the film sequel and the big question - character airtime: "The characters of Kitty Pryde, Pyro, Bobby (Iceman) will have a much bigger role in the sequel, and we'll get to see them using their powers (in battle!). Rogue's role is smaller than in the last film. Current ideas are that she will mostly be seen w/ the other 'Junior' X-Men. They DO get their own versions of uniforms, although they're not as 'professional' looking as the advance X-Men. Telling by the shooting dates and story boards Halle Berry will get much more screen time as Ororo Munro, than in the previous film. She will also take flight a couple times. We do not start shooting the 'Nightcrawler' scenes until early August. Nightcrawler will not have an X-Men uniform for most of the film. There are cameos set for the characters of: Angel, Gambit, Colossus, and possibly Jubilee but she has yet to be cast. Out of all four cameos, Colossus will have the most screen time. One last thing...The X-Men Special Edition DVD is due out earlier than we thought it would be. FOX wants it out in time for the Holiday Season of this year. Expect some previews of X2, including the logo trailer, and behind the scenes footage". Meanwhile shots from the set are up at GT, CineSite recently revealed they will do over 300 FX shots for the film, and finally Entertainment Wire indicates Alan Cumming has finished shooting his scenes as Nightcrawler on the project.

Tad discrepancy about Nightcrawler shooting schedule. Is it done or is it in August?

Needles
07-12-2002, 01:10 PM
I have never read the comic And never seen the show,But I have seen the First movie,and JUdging by the first movie the second will probally be one of the best movies ever made

SithDroid
07-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Hmmm. Well it looks like winning an Oscar gets you more screen time in a group oriented movie.;)

evenflow
07-15-2002, 02:30 PM
If ther eis no Gambit, that totally sucks. Gambit rocks.

RooJay
07-19-2002, 12:51 AM
Ok, I finally recalled recently where the name Striker came up as an X-Men villain. "Striker" was the name of the evangelist character the X-Men had a bit of trouble with in the X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel released in the 80's. Somehow, I doubt the movie Striker will be the same character!;)

Eternal Padawan
07-19-2002, 10:04 AM
Ok, I finally recalled recently where the name Striker came up as an X-Men villain. "Striker" was the name of the evangelist character the X-Men had a bit of trouble with in the X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills graphic novel released in the 80's. Somehow, I doubt the movie Striker will be the same character!;)

Actually, that might be the basis for the movie character since the plot is revolving around human intolerance of Mutants. They might him more militant than the guy in the graphic novel, but the idea is the same.

Jacen Solo
07-19-2002, 12:58 PM
I just wanna see Gambit and I like rouge also, I didn't know Mystique was Rouges mother, and I can't wait to see Kitty Pride, prrrrrrrrrrrr.

sunblind
07-19-2002, 01:36 PM
Who's gonna be Gambit....Liam Gallagher...lead singer of Oasis and could play this part well to a "T". He's quite the hellion the comic version suggests. And so is Liam.

Who's gonna be Colussus....can't think of any one...Arnold Swarza...I won't try but you know who. Anyway, isn't Coloussus Russian? Arnold could do that.

Who's gonna be Angle/ArchAngel....Joaquin Phoenix... forth coming movie(Signs)

pthfnder89
07-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by sunblind

Who's gonna be Angle/ArchAngel....Joaquin Phoenix... forth coming movie(Signs)

I love Joaquin Pheonix but he's definitely not Angel. Warren Worthington is a very handsome, blond playboy; none of which particularly apply to Joaquin. :D

jjreason
07-20-2002, 03:32 AM
If Striker is in reference to a character akin to the preacher in "God Loves, Man Kills" Im feeling excited. That graphic novel stands today as my favorite all-time X-Men story held in a single volume. Magneto is so scary in that book. Crikey. One of the best paintings in that book is Magneto descending with the lightning around him...I won't give out where and when as those could conceivably be weird pre-spoiler spoilers.
Suffice to say Maggie's a good bad guy in that story. Perfect, in fact.

JediCole
07-20-2002, 06:00 PM
Okay kids, if you want some movie news you can count on, check out Ain't it Cool News (www.aintitcoolnews.com). This site is the best because they DO NOT report RUMORS. Harry (Knolwes) and company have cultivated a vast array of spies in the movie industry. And if the info cannot be confirmed, it is not printed! The downside is that they report on just about EVERY film in production, preproduction, or post production. This means that you have to try your luck to find news on any specific film. But the news you do get is fairly reliable.

Now here are some of the rumors that were bandied about as fact concerning X2 that AICN managed to quash.

The Rock is The Beast - Yes, read it and weep. A "wrasslin" website broke the news that The Rock had been cast to play The Beast in the second X-Film. The rumor spread like wildfire almost immediatly, even being reported as gospel truth on more than one reputable film site. This was never remotely true. The filmmakers had never considered nor approached The Rock in any capacity. Not even the famed wrestler himself had any inkling that anyone was even thinking he would be cast in X2.

Sentinels - I noticed that some of this conjecture was reprinted here, so it is very worthy of comment. Now those of you familiar with the comic version of the X-Men may have read Sentinels and thought, "Oh boy! Giant mutant-hunting robots on the big screen! Resplindant in thier violet armored shells!" Think again, fan-boy! The early word was that a script in the works featured The Sentinels, but not the ones invoked above, with their Jack Kirbyesque design, but rather HUMAN sentinels. Yes, human-sized, human-looking, HUMAN BEING Sentinels! All X-Fans should be quite pleased that this plot line was scrubbed!

The Legacy Virus - I must admit that I had long since stopped buying X-Men comics when this lacklustre plot-line was introduced. But as I understand it, the Legacy Virus was engineered to strip Mutants of their powers. As a writer by nature, and presently developing a comic for thinking people, I always love these "broad strokes" plot lines that just make it easy to present a concept that creates sweeping change that is just as easily reversed when the audience grows tired of the results of that plotline. This was to be the other part of the primary plot in X2, along with the above (stupid) Sentinels. I could not be happier that this idea was also shelved. It smacks too much of the exact opposite side of the coin presented in the plot of the first film (Magneto seeks to make humans into Mutants, followed by humans trying to make Mutants into humans!).

No Wolverine - I recall reading at least once that we would have no appearance by Wolverine in X2 possibly more. The early word was that this was due to a Wolverine solo film in development. Of course, this smacks of rumors that followed Batman Returns that touted a Catwoman solo film! Other rumors were that Hugh Jackman had demanded far too much to be considered for the next film.

Gambit, Angel, and Colossus - Now here is where things blur. I have yet to personally see any reliable reports that suggest that any of these characters appear in X2 in any capacity. This is not to say that it may not happen. It would potentially in keeping with what I have read about the plot as it stands in the shooting script.

Now, on to what has been revealed on AICN regarding the plot and cast.

It appears that everyone (at least who played and X-Men member) will be returning, along with Magneto. Previously minor characters like Bobby Drake (Ice Man) and Kitty Pryde will move to the forefront. Also, it appears that the previously unnamed fire-controling Mutant from the first film will be developed as Pyro (as reported in other posts), this is another departure of the movie from the comics, as that Pyro is an Englishman. However, it has been suggested that the intention is to allow the movies to create their own continuity and "reality" that is independant fo that shown in the comics. Wolverine will figure rather prominatly, though not as prominantly in X2, his story being picked up where it left off, with Wolvie sniffing around a decomissioned military sight in Canada. The Stryker character seems to be confirmed, but in more of a role like Senator Kelly, as the chief agitator. The best news is in regard to Nightcrawler. I was rather surprised that no one had yet voiced concerns about Nightcrawler and what changes may have been made in his look and character. It does seem inevetable, in the Hollywood system. However, a report on AICN from someone who actually read the SHOOTING SCRIPT said that his heart raced when he read the description of Nightcrawler as having blue skin, bright yellow eyes, and a long, prehensile tail, terminatiing in a point! And he went on to say that he was thrilled when he first saw the word, "BAMF!" in print! Yes, kids, Nightcrawler will teleport in his signature fashion! Beyond that, the synopsis of the script was kept to a spoiler minimum via very vague descriptions of several battles, including a climactic one that teams old enemies as allies against a common foe (uh oh! someone saw that coming) and, best of all, THE DANGER ROOM!

Well, that's the short form. Keep checking out Ain't it Cool News for more on X2, Daredevil, Batman vs. Superman (yes, that is the latest word on the next live-action Batman film, hopefully a means to relaunch both franchises that suffered from a common curse of terrible third and fourth films), Spider-Man 2 (reported to have already signed Jurassic Park's Sam Neil as Dr. Otto Octavius /Dr. Octopus), Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, and many other comic-related films in develpment. And of course news on The Two Towers and other fun, upcoming films!

jjreason
07-21-2002, 08:50 PM
Wow, that was info-packed! Thanks JediCole - mainly good news as well.

I read into the fire creating mutant a little more - "Johnny" in my mind was none other than Johnny Storm, the FF"s Human Torch! He and Bobby Drake have had more than one humerous run in in the funnybooks, and I'd like to see a Xavier's school that really was for "Gifted Youngsters" as opposed to just Mutants. Radioactive freaks need love and a good education, too!

JediCole
07-22-2002, 01:45 AM
I had forgotten this one tidbit on my prevous post.

As far as Cable being in ANY X-Men movie (and this will probably rattle a few cages), if Cable NEVER appears in ANY X-Men move EVER, it will be TOO SOON!

I am sorry, I have always found Cable to be one of the most shallow, transparant, inoccuous, and ultimatly pointless characters to foul the pages of X-Men titles since the dreadful days of Legion!

Any character who's group affiliation includes "The Six Pack" speaks volumes about what his creator was up to when this particular idea was born! That Cable represents everything that was wrong about comics during the period he was introduced was pointedly taken aim upon in "Kingdom Come" from DC in the way that the characer Magog was deliberatly designed to resemble Cable. And this is not mere conjecture, Alex Ross has commented on as much in print.

pthfnder89
07-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
That Cable represents everything that was wrong about comics during the period he was introduced was pointedly taken aim upon in "Kingdom Come" from DC in the way that the characer Magog was deliberatly designed to resemble Cable. And this is not mere conjecture, Alex Ross has commented on as much in print.

Hmm, I always knew that the design of Magog was taken straight from Cable, but I never knew there was such a reason for it.

I never took the characters in comics too seriously, at least mainstream superheroe comics. I loved reading them when I was younger but the writing has always been so juvenile that even though the plots may deal with deep and substantial issues, the dialogue manages to keep me from getting sucked in.

Plus, with the amount of change between writers, the characters tend to change as well, if only a little.

RooJay
07-24-2002, 07:46 PM
While I wouldn't go so far as to say that "juvenile dialog" in comics is a thing of the past, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much things have changed for the better in comics in the past few years.

Comics: the one true american artform!

darthvyn
07-24-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by JediCole
I had forgotten this one tidbit on my prevous post.

As far as Cable being in ANY X-Men movie (and this will probably rattle a few cages), if Cable NEVER appears in ANY X-Men move EVER, it will be TOO SOON!

I am sorry, I have always found Cable to be one of the most shallow, transparant, inoccuous, and ultimatly pointless characters to foul the pages of X-Men titles since the dreadful days of Legion!

Any character who's group affiliation includes "The Six Pack" speaks volumes about what his creator was up to when this particular idea was born! That Cable represents everything that was wrong about comics during the period he was introduced was pointedly taken aim upon in "Kingdom Come" from DC in the way that the characer Magog was deliberatly designed to resemble Cable. And this is not mere conjecture, Alex Ross has commented on as much in print.

WAY ahead of you.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=106925#post106925

maybe not so descriptive of the WHY, but i definitely agree with you. just the fact that he was created by rob liefeld ALONE should keep him away from this franchise. add to that the fact that the character is basically a doodle with a "choose your own origin" and that should keep him off the blotter until the sun sucks the earth into it's firey mass. yeah, no cable.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say that "juvenile dialog" in comics is a thing of the past, I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at how much things have changed for the better in comics in the past few years.

Comics: the one true american artform!

this SOUNDS like an endorsement, but not really a great one. it sounds like you still see all the writing as juvenile.

it will never be a thing of the past, because there should be comics for every age group, every walk of life. since the 70's, there have been amazing adult oriented comics (and i don't mean the naughty kind...) just because you grew up doesn't mean the entire industry should, as well. if superman no longer applies to you, then don't read it anymore. there are plenty of comics out there that could easily be talking to you. to me, superman should always remain one of those comics that speaks to the younger generation. good morals, easy distinction between good and evil. whereas spider-man is great for teenagers and young adults who don't know where they fit into their environment. meanwhile, a book like alias, or preacher, or powers involve much more comprehension, much more understanding than a child would have. they also involve plotlines that a child should not read, but that's a job for publishers, parents and diligent comic shop owners, rather than an outdated set of rules like the comics code authority.

now, with the CCA basically dead and buried (where it should have been perhaps a decade ago...) we are finally getting comics that are written to the fullest extent of the creator's talents.

RooJay
07-24-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn
this SOUNDS like an endorsement, but not really a great one. it sounds like you still see all the writing as juvenile.

On the contrary, I don't think I could've given a better endorsement. It seems like you must've read a lot more into my statement than was actually there. ;)
I strongly believe that most of the writing in comics nowadays is far from juvenile (which, if you reread my previous statement, I'm sure you'll realize is exactly what I said). However, as I also stated, "juvenile" writing in comics still does exist in places. I think I should also point out that I strongly disagree with the implication that comics geared to and written for younger audiences automatically makes that type writing juvenile. In fact, there are quite a good number of comics intended for younger readers that are quite thoughtful, intelligent, and thought provoking.

it will never be a thing of the past, because there should be comics for every age group, every walk of life. since the 70's, there have been amazing adult oriented comics (and i don't mean the naughty kind...) just because you grew up doesn't mean the entire industry should, as well. if superman no longer applies to you, then don't read it anymore. there are plenty of comics out there that could easily be talking to you.

That's what I said! ;)

to me, superman should always remain one of those comics that speaks to the younger generation. good morals, easy distinction between good and evil. whereas spider-man is great for teenagers and young adults who don't know where they fit into their environment. meanwhile, a book like alias, or preacher, or powers involve much more comprehension, much more understanding than a child would have. they also involve plotlines that a child should not read, but that's a job for publishers, parents and diligent comic shop owners, rather than an outdated set of rules like the comics code authority.

Anyone who's been reading Superman for the last year or so would tell ya (myself included!) that's those books make a great read for people of any age! In fact, I'm not even certain it can be said that Superman books are geared at younger readers anymore; I think they're certainly geared towards everyone!
Much like Spider-Man (I argue that Spider-Man is great even for people who do know where they fit into their environment! :)). While comics like Superman and Spider-Man may not deal with most of the themes that could be considered as adult as those addressed in books like Preacher, Alias, and Powers, I'd have to disagree with you that it makes those books any less sophisticated or intelligent.

As I said...Comics: the one true american artform!:D

darthvyn
07-25-2002, 11:21 AM

On the contrary, I don't think I could've given a better endorsement. It seems like you must've read a lot more into my statement than was actually there. ;)
I strongly believe that most of the writing in comics nowadays is far from juvenile (which, if you reread my previous statement, I'm sure you'll realize is exactly what I said). However, as I also stated, "juvenile" writing in comics still does exist in places. I think I should also point out that I strongly disagree with the implication that comics geared to and written for younger audiences automatically makes that type writing juvenile. In fact, there are quite a good number of comics intended for younger readers that are quite thoughtful, intelligent, and thought provoking.

cool, i pretty much figured that you were endorsing comics, just the way the original sentence was worded could be seen in two ways... i pretty much was playing devil's advocate and taking it the (apparently) wrong way.

Anyone who's been reading Superman for the last year or so would tell ya (myself included!) that's those books make a great read for people of any age! In fact, I'm not even certain it can be said that Superman books are geared at younger readers anymore; I think they're certainly geared towards everyone!
Much like Spider-Man (I argue that Spider-Man is great even for people who do know where they fit into their environment! :)). While comics like Superman and Spider-Man may not deal with most of the themes that could be considered as adult as those addressed in books like Preacher, Alias, and Powers, I'd have to disagree with you that it makes those books any less sophisticated or intelligent.

i have to admit, i haven't picked up a superman book in a long time, so i really don't have a point of reference. i was more using the books as examples to use instead of just saying "if one [unamed] book doesn't seem to talk to you anymore, there are plenty of other [unamed] books out there." it wasn't to say there isn't a lot of depth to the mainstream hero books, but you gotta admit, there is a whole lot going on in preacher that wouldn't find itself in say, spider-man.

As I said...Comics: the one true american artform!:D

that's why it's a shame that the nation that created them is the nation that resects them the least. in japan, there's a comic for every age, profession, and occasion. that's what we should have.

anyway, i'm glad i was wrong about your views - therefore, my little diatribe wasn't really aimed at you, but aimed in general to those that don't really view comics as the respectable art form they are.

JON9000
08-05-2002, 03:11 PM

This follows the rumor I heard, that the plot of the movie will follow the graphic novel- Mags teaming up with the X-Men. God Loves was one of my favorite stories and really addresses the key theme of the X-men, racism and prejudice, so I wouldn't be surprised.

As for Alan Cumming being too old to play Nightcrawler, if he's wearing the makeup, you won't be able to tell. Cumming is a superb actor and perfect for the role.

If only Charlize Theron would be cast as Emma Frost! (sigh).

RooJay
08-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Being that this happens to be an all ages forum, I suppose we shouldn't get into the kinds of images that one could conjure up when imagining Charlize Theron as Emma Frost...;)

JON9000
08-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Hey, it could happen! PG-13 can be quite racy!!!

Pendo
08-21-2002, 05:12 PM
X-Men 2 footage (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x-men_2/) looks so COOL!!! I really can't wait for this movie now!!! What do you guys think of it?

PENDO!

RooJay
08-21-2002, 05:59 PM
DA...BOMB!

It would've been neat to see a few more recognizeable mutants, though I guess that would be a bit much to ask this early into the production. I'm supposing not a whole lot of effects shots have been completed yet.

A couple of things really impressed me while watching this clip: Hugh Jackman's newly bulked up physique (he was pretty big in the first movie, but now he's gotten pretty huge! Much more like the comic's Wolvie.), and James Marsden's much more striking resemblance to his comic counterpart (I don't know what it is, the new haircut, he got older, it's not really him but someone else...I can't put my finger on it. He really surprised me in the first movie, he certainly wouldn't have been my first choice for the part, but h did a great job; now he just really looks like what I'd envision the character Cyclops to look like in the real world!). I only hope they managed to find Halle Berry a better, much less obvious wig for this one! I wonder why she was conspicuosly absent from this clip?

master jedi
08-21-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
X-Men 2 footage (http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x-men_2/) looks so COOL!!! I really can't wait for this movie now!!! What do you guys think of it?

PENDO!

Just downloaded the footage earlier. It looks good. I hope it's a lot better than the first.

Patient Zero
08-22-2002, 12:46 AM
I like the whole x-men thing, but the movie is just not the comic that I collected in the 70's and early 80's. I'll wait for the video.

No love lost.

RooJay
08-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Really?! I thought the first was really in the vein of the 70/80's comic's stories. It really reminded me a lot of the old Claremont/ Byrne stories. Surprisingly so!

darthvyn
08-23-2002, 09:46 PM
the "trailer" was awesome... i liked the integration of the chess match from the end of the first one, although i would've liked some more NEW footage... other than that, ROCK!!!!

Beast
10-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Wanted to knock this back to the top, because Entertainment Weekly has a cool gallary of pictures from the sequel. Pictures have confirmed that the charecter known in the comics as Lady Deathsrike is in the film, as well as Pyro and Colossus. :)

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,365490~1~0~seeexclusiveadvancephotos,00.htm l

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
10-21-2002, 09:00 AM
Cool pics JJB!!! Thanx ;)! I can't wait for this movie :).

Lady Deathstrike looks cool. I didn't really follow the comics so I don't know who she is, but she looks cool :).

PENDO!

Beast
10-21-2002, 09:17 AM
Lady Deathstrike ties into Wolverine's past, which is the whole storyarc that will play out across the three X-Men movies. In the comics atleast, she's a cyborg that believes that Wolverine stole the secrets of Adamantium from her father. There is a really good bio on the following site, if you want to read more. Since this is the movie version, I don't know how much if any other then the claws they are going to keep. :)

http://www.marvunapp.com/handbook/jklm/ladyds.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-21-2002, 10:29 AM
yeah, i saw those pics at EW and was kinda disappointed. The typical "Wolvie with his claws looking agitated" and "X-men in trouble" but i would've killed for a shot of Nightcrawler getting jiggy with it. Perhaps it was there and i missed it? Why did apple take down that trailer?!?!?!??!?!? d'oh!!

The Overlord Returns
10-21-2002, 10:45 AM
this movie is going to be excellent. I have a feeling that X Men will become THE comic film franchise in the annuls of history...

JON9000
10-21-2002, 03:44 PM
the whole General Stryker bit sorta kills the God Loves Man Kills debate, looks like this one will be a new story, much as the last one. Its just as well, I suppose. I wonder how Colossus will look when he takes his steel form?

The Overlord Returns
10-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Has there been conformation that colossus WILL take steel form? Or is that shot the only time we'll actually see him?

SithDroid
10-21-2002, 05:29 PM
At the IMDB for X-Men 2 they have a stunt man slated to play Gambit. I don not know if this is confirmed or not, but I would love to see Gambit in action. I hope we get to see him in X-Men 2. JJB do you know anything about this?

Beast
10-21-2002, 06:11 PM
Gambit is rumored to show up as a easter egg type of charecter. Similar to how Ice Man was shown in the first X-Men. He's sitting at a table cheating at cards when Wolverine and the rest of the X-Men run past chasing someone. Just someone there to make everyone say..."Hey, that was Gambit!". :D Thats cool and all, but where the hell is Beast, he's a founding member of the damn original X-Men and has been ignored so far. So has Angel, for that matter. I want Beast, dammit!! :frus:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
10-21-2002, 08:48 PM
I don't know, why hire a stunt man to play the part if it is just for a small non-action cameo? I think there might be more to it than that. The studio is probably being hush hush about it because they want to surprise the fans. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I also want Angel and Beast to appear sometime. Let's at least get all the Original X-Men time on screen.

Pendo
02-18-2003, 06:16 PM
The new X² trailer looks AMAZING!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/x2/02/

I can't wait for this movie :).

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
02-18-2003, 06:36 PM
It made me feel cold when I saw it with Daredevil. I get cold when I see something that excites me. Like right now, I'm getting cold just typing this. The cat licks Wolverine's claws, I swear, that was just too cool.

Beast
02-18-2003, 06:48 PM
*Jar Jar sheds a tear, for another X-Men film with no Beast* :cry:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

12inch Lando
02-18-2003, 07:46 PM
I have no expectations. Which means I'll probablly like it.

Pendo
02-19-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
*Jar Jar sheds a tear, for another X-Men film with no Beast* :cry:

They say he will be coming with the 3rd X-men movie. I was never a fan of the cartoon but I still think he should have been in the 1st movie, but they probably wouldn't have known how to do him.

PENDO!

Beast
02-19-2003, 07:04 AM
I Hope so, since they butchered the first movie team anyway. I know that the director had to do it, to get the more popular newer X-Men in there. I know they wanted Wolverine really badly to be in the first one, but sheesh. It sucks that they dropped two and turned anoher into a kid just to get him and them in there. :p

To me, the original X-Men will always be Cyclops, Marvel Girl (Jean Grey), Angel, Iceman and Beast. Though I would rather see the furry beast that came about a bit later, then the big hand and feet gymnastic one. And dear god, don't make him a cat like they did a while ago in the comics. Regardless, all the original charecters should have been present in the first film.

But they wanted to play with the storyline, and introduce some of the more popular mutants and left out some of the others. So you got Storm, Rogue, and Wolverine instead. Sad if you ask me, next they'll end up adding that card-slinger Gambit before Beast and Angel ever get their day in the sun. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
02-19-2003, 04:07 PM
The Beast got nixed twice...too many blue mutants in make-up chairs for one movie, they said.

The danger room has also been a casualty of budget cuts twice. :( They started building the set this time, but then cut the sequence)

Beast
02-19-2003, 04:14 PM
True, but they could have stuck old Hank McCoy in this one, instead of introducing Nightcrawler. Don't mind me, I'm just bitter that my favorite charecter always gets screwed over. And then after what they did to him in the comics. A fan can only be kicked so many times, ya know. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
02-20-2003, 08:13 AM
I like to think that Hank and Warren graduated from Xavier's school and will return eventually when Ms. Berry and the others contracts run out and fresh blood is needed. I just hope they phase them out gradually instead of having X-Men 4: A brand new team!

SithDroid
02-20-2003, 05:52 PM
Well, Iceman has always been one of my top rated X-Men. I feel he has gotten overlooked in the comics. He is such a cool character. I hope we get to see him in some real cool fighting action soon, plus I'd like to see him actually have the ice body that he does in the comics. Beast would be cool, but there is no real use for him in an X-Men movie. He doesn't really have any special powers, other than gymnastics and intelligence which it looks like they already have with Nightcrawler, so we probably won't see him for some time now. Now if they can only find the time to get gambit in there, then i'd be satisfied.

Eternal Padawan
02-21-2003, 08:40 AM
Bobby "icing" up would be pretty sweet.

RooJay
02-24-2003, 12:16 PM
I'm with JJB, I was quite disappointed that they didn't even mention Beast and Angel in the first movie. I don't see how it would have been such a big deal for them to just through in a mention of how the team in that movie was not the original line-up, and that McCoy and Worthington were involved elsewhere during the story. They could've even mentioned that Iceman was part of the original team before being busted down to student status for more training (ala the comic's Jubilee - she started out as a full team member before being rotated out for more training with the lower class).

tagmac
02-27-2003, 11:05 PM
I've heard a rumor that Gambit will have a cameo in the movie (unfortunately, it'll probably be a scene where a kid whips a card at someone, instead of the REAL Gambit). And even though they don't get as much billing as Iceman and Pyro, it appears Shadowcat and Colossus are gonna feature prominently in at least one big scene. I was shocked they showed his transformation in the trailer (although I'm glad they DID decide to go with the steel exoskeleton after all). I thought it was Iceman at first, but a second look proved me wrong.

mylow thehutt
03-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Toad and sabertooth will be in X2 there was no trace of them in the,well all the previews and if there in it they will only have a littel part. I really want to sabertooth in it so they can start a wolverine and sabertooth fued since they each share a past in the comics and the show.thoughts

Kidhuman
03-08-2003, 09:21 PM
I agree. I never saw the first one, but sabertooth and wolverine should have a fued in it. I always bought the comics and read them when they went at it. That is like having Superman and Lex Luther not at each others throats.

Pendo
03-09-2003, 06:25 AM
I always thought Toad and Sabertooth died in the 1st movie. It would be possible for them not to have died, but if they're not in the 2nd/3rd movie I will just persume that they did.

PENDO!

Eternal Padawan
03-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Pshaw. Toad only got electrocuted and then slammed into the water from a half mile up. And Sabretooth only got blasted by Cyclops at full power and then sunk a boat with his sorry carcass and a little help from James Newton. :rolleyes:

I think they both should have walked away from that. :)

mylow thehutt
03-09-2003, 10:50 AM
If Joason vorhees can walk away from being blowing up,blasted,shot,set on fire,stabed,and being dead for 10 sequels and still come back to battel freddy then I feel sabetooth WITH healing power should be able to come back.and if they wanted to kill off toad they would made him fall on concreat not water.:p

darthvyn
03-09-2003, 03:46 PM
with EP's astute sum up of the parts of the battle that put these characters out of commission, toad should definitely be dead, but sabertooth has a healing factor, same as wolvie, so he should be okay...

but most likely they are both okay. :crazed:

Anakin2121
03-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Because of water's density, falling into it from that height would actually be worse than hitting concrete. That's the truth. Zorin would not have survived his plunge off the bridge at the end of "A View to A Kill" (one of the weaker James Bond films).

My point: Toad didn't make it. Or at least he shouldn't have. :)

Eternal Padawan
03-11-2003, 02:22 PM
I concur. I was being facetious. Does the movie Sabretooth have a healing power? Hmmmm....

And what's this I hear about Ryan Gosling being cast as Gambit, thus setting him up for a bigger part in the third movie?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-11-2003, 08:30 PM
What? They're already casting for the third movie?!?!? Good lawd!! That's just nuts. Hopefully they'll toss in Beast too, that would just be nifty. :D

James Boba Fettfield
03-13-2003, 06:58 AM
Well, it looks like Stan The Man won't be in this movie.

Scooper 'Kailem' tells us that Stan Lee was interviewed on the "Filmfreak" radio station when he mentioned he will not have a cameo in X2...

It seems that unlike the original movie, he isn't going to be turning up anywhere in X2. When asked if he had a cameo in the sequel he replied "No, no I don't, I don't think I'm gonna have cameos in the sequels 'cause I think that gets to be a little much. I'm hoping I can have a cameo in the first movie of each character."

No Stan Lee Cameo in X2 (http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1047393610,16302,)

In other news, here's a little bit of insight into the Iceman character, with a little bit of stuff on Rogue and Pyro thrown in.

Tell us about your character.

I play Bobby Drake, a.k.a. Iceman. The way I see Bobby is that he's basically a normal kid who's grown up with this mutant ability. He ends up at this school -- his parents don't know about his gifts -- so he's kind of alone in a snese. I think in this movie he becomes part of a group -- he starts to make friendships, has a romance with Rogue (Anna Paquin) and finally is accepted. He's a normal guy dealing with a mutant ability the wya most people would; he doesn't rebel, like Pyro. He's not an outsider.

You have a rivalry with Pyro?

We're on opposite sides of the spectrum -- fire and ice. They're working against each other the whole time. I think bobby doesn't try to rebel with his powers, while Pyro goes the other way -- shows off. We have a rivalry because of Rogue.

Word is that you have a big love scene with Anna Paquin in X-Men 2.

Rumors are true. There's sort of a love scene -- a kiss in the movie.

How did you prepare for it?

I didn't prepare at all. I hung out with Anna for a while and got to be good friends with her. It didn't feel weird at all. Some people talk about screen kisses being strange or uncomfortable. But I think that I got along with Anna well enough that it just happened; it was a fun day of shooting. I was super sick on the day, so I felt sorry for her. I couldn't speak, and I was afraid I was going to pass the cold on.

But she almost kills you.

Yeah, she almosts kills me from the kiss. She has ice breath for a while -- which is fun. It's like that Dentyne commercial -- icy fresh. And then we go back for more. She couldn't handle one little taste -- she needed more Ashmore. So we basically get carried away, we keep on kissing, and she sucks my powers and nearly kills me.

There's more to the interview, which can be found in its entirety here: Drake Interview (http://johto.hispeed.com/shawn/print/afq.html)

And as a final bit of news, here's the X2 movie poster.

JediTricks
03-14-2003, 01:12 AM
I woulda thought after Stan Lee's lawsuit against Marvel for more $$$ that he wouldn't be cameoing (is that a word?) in any future movies.

James Boba Fettfield
03-14-2003, 01:17 AM
He just filmed his Hulk appearance, too.

James Boba Fettfield
03-17-2003, 01:18 PM
Ba da dum! Look at this cast list!

Professor Charles Xavier……PATRICK STEWART
Logan/Wolverine……HUGH JACKMAN
Eric Lensherr/Magneto……IAN McKELLEN
Storm……HALLE BERRY
Jean Grey……FAMKE JANSSEN
Scott Summers/Cyclops……JAMES MARSDEN
Mystique……REBECCA ROMIJN-STAMOS
William Stryker……BRIAN COX
Kurt Wagner/Nightcrawler……ALAN CUMMING
Senator Kelly……BRUCE DAVISON
Rogue……ANNA PAQUIN
Yuriko Oyama……KELLY HU
John Allerdyce/Pyro……AARON STANFORD
Kitty Pryde……KATIE STUART
Jason 143……MICHAEL REID MACKAY
Little Girl 143……KEELY PURVIS
Bobby Drake/Iceman……SHAWN ASHMORE
Jubilee……KEA WONG
Colossus……DANIEL CUDMORE
Jones……CONNOR WIDDOES
Artie……BRYCE HODGSON
Siryn……SHAUNA KAIN
President McKenna……COTTER SMITH
Steven Drake……ALFRED E. HUMPHREYS
Madeline Drake……JILL TEED
Ronny Drake……JAMES KIRK
Mitchell Laurio……TY OLSSON
Museum Teenager #1……GLEN CURTIS
Museum Teenager #2……GREG RIKAART
Cop #1 (Lead Cop) ……MARK LUKYN
Cop #2…… KENDALL CROSS
Plastic Prison Guard……MICHASHA ARMSTRONG
Federal Bldg. Cleaning Twin #1……ALFONSO QUIJADA
Federal Bldg. Cleaning Twin #2……RENE QUIJADA
Stryker Soldier Lyman……PETER WINGFIELD
Stryker Soldier Smith……STEPHEN SPENDER
Stryker Soldier #1……AARON DOUGLAS
Stryker Soldier #2……COLIN LAWRENCE
Stryker Soldier Wilkins……DYLAN KUSSMAN
T.V. Host……DAVID KAYE
Dr. Shaw……CHARLES SIEGEL
Dr. Hank Mccoy……STEVE BACIC
White House Agent (Lead Agent) ……MICHAEL DAVID SIMMS
Oval Office Agent Cartwright……ROGER R. CROSS
Oval Office Agent Fabrizio……DAVID FABRIZIO
White House Checkpoint Agent……MICHAEL SOLTIS
Whitehouse Tour Guide……CHIARA ZANNI
News Reporters……TED FRIEND
MI-JUNG LEE, MARRETT GREEN
JILL KROP
X-Kids (Captured) ……NOLAN FUNK
DEVIN DOUGLAS DREWITZ
JERMAINE LOPEZ, SIDEAH ALLADICE
Stryker Soldier……JASON S. WHITMER
Stryker Soldier……AARON PEARL
Stryker At Age 40……BRAD LOREE
Augmentation Room Doctor……SHERI G. FELDMAN
Special Ops Agent……RICHARD BRADSHAW
F-16 Fighter Pilot……LORI STEWART
Chief Of Staff Abrahms……KURT MAX RUNTE
Loading Bay Stryker Solidier #1……RICHARD C. BURTON
Loading Bay Stryker Soldier #2……MICHAEL JOYCELYN
Cameraman……BENJAMIN GLENDAY
President’s Secretary……JACKIE A. GREENBANK
Cop……ROBERT HAYLEY

Cast List (http://www.superherohype.com/cgi-bin/news/fullnews.cgi?newsid1047913697,29484,)

pinoysith
04-07-2003, 01:06 AM
Did anyone catch X-Men on FX tonight? Kelly Hu was the intermission host (man, she's hot!!!) and they showed a new clip of X2 after the movie.

It had Lady Deathstryke battling Cyclops. I'm so glad Kelly's is this movie, she's so awesome.

Looked pretty cool, and I can't wait until it comes out.

Kidhuman
04-07-2003, 06:58 PM
Will NIghtcrawler go *BAMF* in this movie?

tagmac
04-19-2003, 09:08 PM
Judging by the trailers, it looks like Senator Kelly did not die in the first one after all. I don't believe it's just Mystique disguised as him. Besides, isn't the Senator actually a mutant all along? I could be wrong, but I could swear this was the case on the old 90's cartoon.

derek
04-19-2003, 09:53 PM
my knowledge of comics is limited, so someone help me out:

x-men have a character named pyro, and the fantastic 4 have a "human torch" character. are they the same guy, do they have the same abilities, does the x-man "pyro" turn his entire body into flames like the fantastic 4 guy?

and i notice x-men has an "ice-man" character? i also recall a cartoon from my youth that had an "ice-man" character, who traveled around the city by making "ice" slides or something? are these two the same character as well?

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Big difference between Pyro and Human Torch is that Human Torch can set himself on fire, thus he can generate fire. Pyro can only manipulate fire to do his bidding, which is why you see him with that flame thrower thing on his back all the time. Correct me Marvel experts if I messed that up, as I am mostly a reader of Spider-Man.
Iceman has been known to create those ice slides you speak of to make his traveling much faster.
As for Senator Kelly, Magneto turned him into a mutant in the film. I have no idea about the cartoon, but that didn't follow the comics too closely.

RooJay
04-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by tagmac
Judging by the trailers, it looks like Senator Kelly did not die in the first one after all. I don't believe it's just Mystique disguised as him. Besides, isn't the Senator actually a mutant all along? I could be wrong, but I could swear this was the case on the old 90's cartoon.

I assure you Senator Kelly most vertainly did die in the first movie. The Senator Kelly in X2 is most definitely Mystique in disguise. If you're still not convinced - Id be willing to bet you a million dollars that I'm right.;) He was not a mutant all along, and actually was quite vocally against mutants during the first movie up until Magneto kidnapped him and used his mutant makin' machine to transform him (by the way...according to Marvel's own definition of the term Mutant, this would've in fact made Senator Kelly more of a candidate for Avenger's membership than the less publicly appreciated actual X-Men type "mutant").
That being said, it might still be possible for Senator Kelly to come back somehow - his body obviously lost cohesion and just washed away, but this kind of thing used to happen to guys like Hydro Man and Sandman all the time in the comics and they were eventually able to reform. I can almost certainly guarantee you that this will not be happening in X2, though.

RooJay
04-19-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by derek
my knowledge of comics is limited, so someone help me out:

x-men have a character named pyro, and the fantastic 4 have a "human torch" character. are they the same guy, do they have the same abilities, does the x-man "pyro" turn his entire body into flames like the fantastic 4 guy?

and i notice x-men has an "ice-man" character? i also recall a cartoon from my youth that had an "ice-man" character, who traveled around the city by making "ice" slides or something? are these two the same character as well?

JBF got it pretty much right in regards to the differences between Torch and Pyro.
As far as Iceman goes - you are absolutely right; he was in fact the exact same guy you remember from that cartoon. For the record, the cartoon was called Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. That cartoon was also notable in X-Men lore for having been the first ever appearance of Marvel mutant Firestar, who wasn't introduced in the comics until much later.

tagmac
04-19-2003, 10:55 PM
Unfortunately (unless it's one of the big surprises in the movie), it doesn't look like we'll be seeing Iceman in his ice-body form. Looks like Bobby Drake will be in human form the whole time. Surprising, considering Colossus WILL be seen in his steel-body form, as shown in the second trailer.

derek
04-20-2003, 12:35 AM
thanks guys.:)

yea, i was wondering if iceman would appear in full ice mode. maybe they will save that for X-3?

James Boba Fettfield
04-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Don't forget to catch that X2 thing Fox is airing tonight at 7pm EST. I have no idea what it's about, or the length of it, but I'll try to catch it and see what it's about.

JediTricks
04-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
Will NIghtcrawler go *BAMF* in this movie? Yes, during the 30-minute special about X2 on Sunday night that JBF mentioned, they spent a few minutes explaining and showing how they did this.

Originally posted by tagmac
Judging by the trailers, it looks like Senator Kelly did not die in the first one after all. I don't believe it's just Mystique disguised as him. I'm fairly sure that IS Mystique disguised as him in the new movie.

and i notice x-men has an "ice-man" character? i also recall a cartoon from my youth that had an "ice-man" character, who traveled around the city by making "ice" slides or something? are these two the same character as well? Same guy, in the comics Iceman was one of the first X-men along with Beast, Marvel Girl (Jean Grey), Angel, and Cyclops.

James Boba Fettfield
04-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Yeah, a good special it was. Remember, tonight is the HBO thing on itFirst Look on X2. It will air at 10:45 PM and there will be a lot of repeat showings of it.

On a lighter not, be sure to get that X-Men ice cream from Baskin-Robbins hitting stores between April 21 thru June 15.

* Oreo(R) X-Mint -- Dark Chocolate ice cream gets infused with chunky Oreo(R) cookies and a swirl of Blue Mint ice cream in this power-filled flavor
* X-Treme Berry Sherbet -- Bold and colorful, this Blue Raspberry Sherbet is twisted with white tart Blueberry Ice
* Chocolate Vortex Sundae -- A frozen vertical storm will chill ice cream fans with Chocolate Chip ice cream, brownie chunks and World Class(R) Chocolate ice cream drenched with hot fudge and whipped cream
* Wolverine's(TM) Berry Rampage Sundae -- A delicious and fun treat made of X-Treme Berry Sherbet with strawberry topping, whipped cream, Wild Berry Wonka(R) Nerds(R) and a Blue Raspberry Sour Punch(R) Straw "X"

Sentinel18725
04-24-2003, 01:36 PM
I liked the suggestion EARLY in this thread about Harry Connick as Gambit. If they ever use him, use Connick. Do you think Storm will be disappearing now that Ms. Thang (Berry) won her Oscar? I thought she might outprice herself from the films.

tagmac
04-25-2003, 10:07 PM
I've heard rumors that Gambit will have a small cameo in X2, similar to that of Jubilee and Kitty Pryde in the first movie. I think there may be even more surprises to look for during the battle at the school.

BlahBlahBlah
04-26-2003, 10:17 AM
If Gambit's cameo makes it to the final cut of the movie, it won't be in the school.

tagmac
04-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Are you just speculating, or do you know more info about the rumor I heard?

QLD
04-27-2003, 03:42 PM
It may just be me, but Nightcrawler looks like crap in all of the trailers and pictures I have seen.

But what do I know. I'll try to reserve judgement until after I see the film.

BlahBlahBlah
04-27-2003, 03:43 PM
Tagmac-- I've read the book.

James Boba Fettfield
05-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Fellow fans, I'm planning on attending the midnight showing of the movie tonight at the Lennox in Columbus. Movie looks to be good, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be awful after seeing it tonight.

James Boba Fettfield
05-02-2003, 02:55 AM
2:44am EST, and I am back from the movie. Do yourself a favor and go see this movie. I think the crowd was more into this movie then they were for Star Wars. Hell, it's a lot better than AOTC was, too. Man, Wolverine once again stole the show. I liked how the movie focused more on the new mutants, and gave less time to the older folks like Cyclops, Storm, etc. Magneto is back! Hell yeah, when he does his thing it got the crowd cheering. Great film, if you even remotely liked the first one, go see this one right away! Best movie of the year! Beats anything I've seen all year long. Though I wish there was more closure involving Magneto and his buddies, but still a good film.

And there has to be a sequel in the works, because if you know anything about X-Men you'll see what the sequel is bound to be focused on. I had a guess as soon as the first sign of it is given, but you'll understand when you see the film, which you must do now!

Colossus was great in what little bit he had, and that thing about Dr. Hank McCoy being in the film, well he's on the television talking about mutants, and that's all you see. Yes, Hank's in human form, but it's only on screen for a few seconds so be aware of it. I didn't see Gambit in the film though, cameo or anything. And that stuff with Nightcrawler, it's very neato! Bamf! Bamf! Ha ha, man, I am so high on that film right now, God it was great.

Pendo
05-02-2003, 04:15 AM
I'm going to see this tonight :D! I can't wait.

PENDO!

James Boba Fettfield
05-02-2003, 10:41 AM
Pendo man, you're going to love this film. I swear, the whole mansion scene had the packed theater cheering for Wolverine. Man, I want to see it again! Great film, and one of the better comic films I've seen. I say it was better than Spider-Man, but I didn't think high of Spider-Man to begin with. Yeah, this movie is a definite dvd buy, and it just plain rocked.

Anakin2121
05-02-2003, 02:38 PM
I heard it's almost two and a half hours long! Is this true? The first film was barely one and a half. :(

James Boba Fettfield
05-02-2003, 02:46 PM
It's 2 hours and 14 minutes. It started around 12:20am last night, and the movie let out some time after 2:30am. But! But, not one time during that long running movie was there some slow stuff.....like AOTC Padme/Anakin love trash. The movie just goes by and there's never a dull moment.

JediCole
05-02-2003, 02:53 PM
Mrs. JediCole and I will be going tonight! I can't wait! It is great to find that once again the super-hero team dynamic has been proven to work on film. I hope the suits at Warner Bros. will get off of their laurels and bring us a Justice League movie!

James Boba Fettfield
05-02-2003, 02:58 PM
I've been itching to discuss this movie for awhile to see how everyone else feels about it after seeing it. I suppose some people might be disappointed about seeing less of Cyclops (not much screentime for him) and having all of these new mutants.

Some reviews I read didn't like seeing so many more new mutants brought in, and they're not being a lot done to develop them. I didn't notice that at all, I felt the movie did everything it set out to do perfectly, and the way they do the very last scene with the water, I hope you X-Fans out there can catch it, but it's kind of obvious. Sorry, but I haven't been this excited after seeing a movie in a long while.

After you go out there and see this movie, hurry back and let's discuss this one!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-02-2003, 03:05 PM
I'm glad Cyclops doesn't get too much screen time. I hated him in the comics, in the cartoon and finally, in the movie. Nothing personal, he's just too much of a conformist and whiny dude at times.

We're buying tickets for the 10 o clock show tonight. soooooo giddy! :D

darthvyn
05-02-2003, 04:29 PM
this movie rocked! nightcrawler was perfect, and the fact that wolverine didn't pull his claws was insane! i will be viewing this movie multiple times...

QLD
05-02-2003, 05:32 PM
I am going to go see this tomorrow. Looks good, I hope it is as good as everyone says.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Got my tickets for the 9:55 tonight!! wooooooohoooooooooo!! :D

wedgeA
05-02-2003, 07:24 PM
I'll keep this spoiler free so forgive me if I sound vague. I think am going to be in the very small minority here and say that the film was a major disappointment.

The plot and characterization were third rate except for Wolverine. Most of the characters from the first film were just window dressing and the multitude of new characters seemed to be just thrown in there. I never believed that Nightcrawler could be a more insufferable character than he was in the comic book, but he is here.

The fight scene at the school was awesome, but the climax was terrible- very slow, predictable, and uninspired.

Finally, there were some incredible plot holes at the end that were too annoying to ignore. This film does not match up to the first one. I think that Singer and Co did a lot more with less in that movie.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2003, 12:46 AM
Greetings!! I just returned from my showing and i was blown away. Truly a great movie. I loved Nightcrawler and found his portrayal really good, and somewhat moving if you will. I also caught many of the references to other characters (Beast, Gambit, etc.. good luck finding the smaller references)

Great movie that i shall gladly pay to see a few more times. :D

Kidhuman
05-03-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
And that stuff with Nightcrawler, it's very neato! Bamf! Bamf!

They really put that sound effect in? That is worth the price of admission right there. I still never seen the first one.

mrmiller
05-03-2003, 02:41 AM
Wow- this was a great movie. Since this is still the first day of release, I'll try and stay spoiler free as well.

One of the things I was really impressed with was the violence (I'm sick, I know). Logan kicked some major butt, and it was nice to see Wolverine and his counterpart (Lady Deathstrike?) doing some serious damage to each other. As well as the Magneto escape. Sometimes they tone a pg-13 rated movie down too much when there is violence involved, and the fight scenes come off as lame and fake. Not in this flick. I also enjoyed the addition of Nightcrawler. I was never really into the comics, so some Marvel fanatics might have a problem with some things- but for me it was excelent.

=MATT=

Tonysmo
05-03-2003, 03:08 AM
WedgeA - Your high... you will be the only one who didnt like it..

The movie was absoultly fantastic.

Bottom line, the 1st movie of this year worth seeing at the big screen... multiple times...

no spoilers from me, but I will say the movie pretty much solidfied the reasoning Ive always thought of Nightcrawler as one of the best X-men. The opening squence blew me away. The whole movie was pretty much action packed, and an ending that will leave you very shocked.

GO SEE IT - GO SEE IT NOW.

STOP READING THIS AND GO SEE IT!!

Pendo
05-03-2003, 07:48 AM
I saw the film last night, and what can I say??? It was amazing! Very rarely does a sequel live up the the 1st movie, but this one did :)! I loved every second of it. I was shocked by what happened at the end (not going to say for those who haven't seen it), but I have a sneaking suspicion that that won't be the last we see of... you know :rolleyes:

Now just got to wait for the DVD, and X3 :D.

PENDO!

evenflow
05-03-2003, 10:19 AM
I was totally impressed with this movie. I feel that it was much better than the first one. Colossus was so awesome to see. I wish it would have been more, but i ssume he will be in the next one. I wish Gambit would have been in there. There was one seen where they showed a list of mutant real names. I could have sworn I saw Gambit's "real" name.

I think they set it up the next movie really nice. I don't want to give anything away for tose who have not seen it, but alot of people in the theater i went to were unfamiliar with the comic and were crying.

Awesome movie, much better than the first.

JON9000
05-03-2003, 10:55 AM
That was really cool. The fun of watching movies like this is seeing how they translate the characters to the screen. Lady Deathstrike and Nightcrawler were great. This one is a lot darker than the first, and a lot longer. The plot is pretty interesting, and I loved Magneto. His escape was my favorite part.

If Matrix is anywhere near as good I will be very happy.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Evenflow- Yeah, you did see Gambits name. When you see the shot of that computer screen, you see "Lessher, Eric" and above it, you'll see, "LaMeau, Remy" I squealed like a little girl. :D

RooJay
05-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Remy LeBeau.;)

This movie has jumped to the top of my list of the best comic movies. Head and shoulders above the rest! I've never even been that big a fan of the X-Men, and I thought this movie couldn't have been more perfect!
I actually got to see it last tuesday (and for free, I might add!:D ), and I'm actually seeing it again in a couple hours here (for free again! I'm so lucky! Of course, I'd gladly pay for it several times over). Sorry I wasn't able to get on then and offer up an advanced review, but I've been away from the computer for pretty much the past week. Great to see that almost everyone agrees with my opinion on the movie.
I totally geeked out over Colossus' scenes! He, Nightcrawler, and Cyclops have always been my favorites (I have always tended not to read X-Men when each of them is not involved; I haven't read since Colossus died in the comics), and I was totally wishing that Wolverine had agreed to let him help. Oh well...there's always X-Men 3 to look forward to! Those of us who've seen the movie and are familiar with the comics will know how important Colossus should be to the finale of what will surely be the plotline of the next one! I can also see them easily working in the Sentinels to the plot of the third movie; I half expected the president to announce the start of the Sentinel program at the end of this one!

Anakin2121
05-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Spoilers...

This was an absolutely outstanding movie. Better than the first one, and better than Spider-man!

It had substantially more action than almost any movie I've ever seen, and yet it never detracted from the brilliant story! Scene transitions were perfectly paced, and every actor gave a great performance.

The assault on the mansion was wonderful, I always enjoy seeing Wolvie do what he does best. :D

Now, what happened to the Strykers? Did Jason get crushed by the falling debris in the Cerebro2 chamber?
And what about William? They showed him chained to the rock, and that mutant kid stuck his lizardy tongue out at him, and that was it! Was he killed by the flood, or do you think he got away?

And the end was great, seeing Phoenix in the water. I knew it was coming when you saw Jean's eyes grow fiery red when she moved that missile. :)

Sentinel18725
05-04-2003, 12:05 AM
Incredible movie! It actually made me want to start buying the comics again. It's not too often that something has that kind of impact on me! I was floored.......Ahhhh Mystique, Lady Deathstrike, beautiful beautiful........Incredible!

QLD
05-04-2003, 02:22 AM
I saw it a little while ago, and was impressed myself.

I can't say much that hasn't been said already, but I did like it a good bit.

2-1B
05-04-2003, 03:34 AM
gehen Sie aus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:

spoiler warning, just in case ------

Overall, I think it is a very cool movie. I LOVED the first one, and while comparing the two movies afterward, each one has advantages over the other one.

Nightcrawler, well he was just teriffic ! :) Very well done.
Everything about him - the makeup, the angel markings, ESPECIALLY the accent, his frequent lines in German . . . that smoke effect was just awesome, it was comic bookish yet not goofy.

I really hate Cyclops so his absence through much of the new film was a real treat. ;)

I loved Rogue in the first one, so I wanted to see more of her in this one. Bobby didn't bother me as much as I expected.

Wolverine is just fantastic. Jackman OWNS that role, I'm so glad Dougray Scott dropped out for whatever reason it was . . . anyway, Hugh Jackman is the single most reason why I love these movies ! ! !

No Toad, that was quite welcomed by me. He really annoyed me in the first one so I say less Toad and more Mystique is proper. The non-makeup version of Rebecca Romijn-UncleJesse was a nice touch when "Grace" made her move. :)

I really liked Sabretooth in the last movie, so I could have gone for more of him.

Magneto, well there's one of the things I like less about this movie. I liked having him as the lead bad guy in the first movie, but Brian Cox was pretty cool . . . so that particular problem of mine wasn't that big a deal afterall.

Storm was cool, I read somewhere that she barely had a few scenes so I was pleased to see her more than I expected too.

Jean Grey's death did nothing for me, I didn't find it shocking at all. I've not read one complete X-Men comic in my life but I still knew about the Jean Grey/Phoenix thing.
What I DID like about that part of the movie was Wolverine's reaction when she died, the emotion as he said "she's gone."

I just can't say enough for Jackman, he's so incredibly awesome as Wolverine ! ! ! I've heard rumors of a spinoff Wolverine movie, and that sounds like a plan to me ! Well, better yet he could take Rogue along for his spinoff movie and then it would be PERFECT.

DAMNIT I HATED THAT PYRO KID ! ! ! :mad: He was so annoying, could they have possibly included a few more shots of him flicking that damned lighter ? :rolleyes:
I hope he dies in the next film, I hope he dies very early.

Pendo
05-04-2003, 06:09 AM
Jean Grey's death did nothing for me, I didn't find it shocking at all. I've not read one complete X-Men comic in my life but I still knew about the Jean Grey/Phoenix thing.

I don't know anything about the "Phoenix" thing so Jean's death was pretty shocking to me, although because of all the "Phoenix" talk I get the impression she isn't dead yet.

PENDO!

Tonysmo
05-04-2003, 06:10 AM
lol... the lighter flicking thing was annoying... Ill agree to that - but I can clearly see an Iceman vs Pyro in the third film.

however - what IS the the whole Jean Grey / Phoenix thing? someone explain it to me.. cause um.. Im a Star Wars geek.. Not a comic book geek..

think she'll come back?

Anakin2121
05-04-2003, 10:58 AM
She does come back as Phoenix, one of the most powerful mutants of all. She can personify herself as a brilliant flaming bird in the semblance of a phoenix, of all things.... :p You can see her in Phoenix-form underwater at the very end of the movie. :)

James Boba Fettfield
05-04-2003, 12:25 PM
I hate Cyclops too, but how can you have a team without a guy who wants to do everything by the book. He provides for some friction with Wolverine. Not having him in the next movie would not work for me. I hate him, but I love to hate him, so he should be back.

2-1B
05-04-2003, 01:01 PM
I hate Cyclops and hate having to hate him. :crazed:
I love to hate Mystique, I love to hate Magneto. ;)

I don't gather from Cyclops that he's such a "by the book" guy.
His friction with Wolverine is due to Jean's interest in him, as well it should be . . . that's one of the reasons I dislike Jean, because she hangs around with that loser while she could be happy with Logan. ;)

Xavier does it by the book, that's enough for me ! :crazed:

James Boba Fettfield
05-04-2003, 01:27 PM
I've always not liked Mystique, whether comics, cartoon, or movie. Just never did much, unless it was that one bathroom scene from X2. Wow. Back to topic, Magneto, I've never hated the man. Well, except that stuff he did to Wolverine in the comics, but that was weird to begin with. I love Magneto, and I wish he'd get to do more vengeful things to the non-mutant populace.

I love to hate Cyclops because he acts like a **** and he likes to boss people around, but he's like their leader when their out on missions. So I like having that order giving guy there to make Logan mad, who is more of an independent x-man. So it's always cool to see Wolverine give Scott ****.

2-1B
05-04-2003, 01:42 PM
James, the reason I love to hate Magneto is because of his past I guess . . . the opening scene in the first movie is really sad, and it shows the foundation of why he takes his path later in life.

I don't agree with his methods, so that's why I'm against him - but I can sympathize with the character and see WHY he does it.

Plus, Ian McKellan rocks ! ! ! :happy:

Hey, what was the scene(s) they reshot a few months ago? I was re-reading a preview in Entertainment Weekly and they said Singer shot a new end scene just recently, in March. Was it the shot in the President's office? :confused:

I'm wondering if anyone here knows . . .

BlahBlahBlah
05-04-2003, 05:18 PM
The ending was re-shot to incorporate Jean not being there.

The book ends right after they leave the White House-- and Jean is with them. She helps them get the Blackbird up from inside the jet.

The movie ending was redone to set up the Phoenix, I guess.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-04-2003, 07:00 PM
That or the book is incorrect. The books are usually based on early screenplays and whatnot, so the Phoenix idea might have been the idea all along. :D

jlw
05-04-2003, 07:01 PM
Well, I am not a big X-Men fan as far as comics go; but since I do read Star Wars comics & Toyfare I was familiar with most of the obscure characters in the movie; such as Kitty Pryde & Colossus. But who was the kid with the lizard tongue & who was the kid who could change the t.v. channels by blinking his eyes?

Also, concerning Beast; in the first movie & in one scene in X-2 where the kids are running down the hall, there is a kid with wild hair and thick sideburns. I've always assumed that this was Beast. I am wrong? And if so, who is the kid?

Also, because I don't read X-Men comics I was really blown away with the ending of the movie. However, there were a couple of things in the movie to lead me to believe Jean had "evolved" into another mutant. 1. Her conversation w/ Scott in the museum 2. Prof. X glancing out the window and 3. the firey image in the water. But still, not being very knowledgeable in X-Men comics I was in total awe.

I also enjoyed the little tent scene with Wolverine and Mystique. I have heard that in the comics Nightcrawler was actually their son, but I could be wrong about that. So, I thought it was pretty cool that would even hint at a relationship between them.

I would like to find out more about Jean Grey becoming Pheonix so someone please post more. Like what her powers are, etc. Thanks.

jlw
05-04-2003, 07:04 PM
That should have been "Am I wrong?"

Also, about Jean becoming evolving to another mutant I like how they had Storm saying the same lines from the beginning of the first movie. That was another factor to lead me to believe Jean became another mutant.

DarthChuckMc
05-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by jlw
3. the firey image in the water.

I missed that some how. I don't think my print had it. Just showed the camera passing over the water. I feel cheated.:(

Tonysmo
05-05-2003, 12:35 AM
It was there.. barely... if you blinked you missed it. and it was semi hard to see.. what I saw was an orangish color in the water. I had no clue until reading up on these posts..

JON9000
05-05-2003, 10:12 AM
In the comic, Jean Grey died while piloting the X-Men back to earth in a shuttle. Upon landing in the water, she rose out yelling about being the Phoenix. Jean possessed powers well beyond those she had when she died. Eventually the X-Men faced off against the Hellfire Club, a group of Illuminati like mutants. One of them had mental powers and was able to somehow convince Jean that they were lovers and that she was one of their inner circle. The X-Men got out of trouble, but the ugly side of the Phoenix power was unleashed, resulting in Dark Phoenix- she went off and ate a planet. Jean was able to wrestle control of herself, and committed suicide in order to end the threat she posed.

Of course, when the writers wanted to ressurrect the original X-Men as X-Factor, they needed Jean back so it was revealed that Jean never was the Phoenix, rather an alien took her form and placed her in a coccoon all those years.

The Phoenix story was one of the most powerful comics stories ever at the time. Bringing Jean back and writing their way out of it sort of lessens its impact now, but while it was going on it was quite controversial with the fan base. That was before even my time. You can pick up a trae paperback reprinting the saga.

mrmiller
05-05-2003, 11:41 AM
As everyone- I was impressed with Jackmans portrayal of Wolverine. I thought it was very much like I remember in the comics (bear in mind I haven't read a Wolverine/Xmen comic in about 10 years, and even then I wasn't that much into it). He basically just slaughters the troops invading the mansion, not trying to find a peacfull or less lethal method. He give a total "up yours" to authority and walk around with that chip on his shoulder. When Jean is talking about how she doens't want to get invloved woith Wolverine because of Cyclopes- he doens't care and just goes for it anyhow. Yet he is still very pasionate about the very few things in life he cares about (his past, Jean, and Rouge) The only "out of charater" scene really would have been the one with Cyclopse at the end- 'cmon Wolverine could care less how cyclopse feels, Jean was really his girl anyhow.

Also, how awesome wash the Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstryke battle? That was great, and like I said before, I was impressed with the about of violence in it. I'm glad the studio didn't PC it and tone it down. It just wouldn't have had the same effect.

=MATT=

icatch9
05-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Ah, but they did tone it down. Death Strike and Wolverine were slashing and stabbing each other like crazy, and not a single drop of blood was spilled. I know they have super healing strength, but come on....Wolverine was wrist deep in her chest and nothing. Forget about all those "swat" team dudes that Wolvie slashed and stabbed. Still, no blood.

I know blood is a thing that makes or breaks a rateing and they needed to keep this at PG-13, but still I think a little would have been alright.

I'm not complaining at all about this movie. It was great! I had hoped to see some of the students uses thier powers in fear when the mansion was stormed, but Colosus made up for that (Shadow Cat was pretty cool too).

Here is a question for you guys. If Scott and Jean were students when they were younger who were their teachers? Was Prof. X the only one? If they did have other teachers where are they now? What are they up to?

El Chuxter
05-05-2003, 01:21 PM
"Guten tag. My name is Kurt Wagner, but in the Munich Circus, I was known as the mighty Nightcrawler."

That movie was awesome! Okay, awesome doesn't cut it. This makes every previous comic-book film (including the first X-Men) look like a Saturday morning cartoon.

Hugh Jackman is Wolvie. Alan Cumming is Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler is, without a doubt, the best screen adaptation of any character from the page, whether comic or otherwise.

This movie is better than any Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back!!

The kid with the sideburns in #1 (so I've heard) is either Feral or Wolfsbane. Not sure which.

I saw Phoenix coming three years ago from the scene where something enters Jean's mind in the Cerebro chamber. Nice to see, though. I'm sure she'll be back, but whether as Jean or as Dark Phoenix remains to be seen.

RooJay
05-05-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by jlw
Well, I am not a big X-Men fan as far as comics go; but since I do read Star Wars comics & Toyfare I was familiar with most of the obscure characters in the movie; such as Kitty Pryde & Colossus. But who was the kid with the lizard tongue & who was the kid who could change the t.v. channels by blinking his eyes?

The kid with the tongue was named Artie. In the comics Artie actually looks much different - he has a huge pink head with large boil-like bumps all over it, huge, solid white eyes, no nose, and he was able to cast illusions of some sort. I don't recall the entire extent of his abilities. He was close friends with another young mutant named Leech who looked like a little green frog-boy who was able to cancel out other mutants abilities. The kid that was changing channels with his eyes (probably actually with his mind) was just a generic background mutant with a few speaking lines; no one in particular from the comics unless he was given another characters name that was not mentioned in the movie. He doesn't exhibit any powers specific to any one comic character.

Also, concerning Beast; in the first movie & in one scene in X-2 where the kids are running down the hall, there is a kid with wild hair and thick sideburns. I've always assumed that this was Beast. I am wrong? And if so, who is the kid?

The kid with the wild hair (I missed that one) was yet another generic background mutant. Nothing more. Not all of the mutants in these two movies were taken directly from the comics.

Also, because I don't read X-Men comics I was really blown away with the ending of the movie. However, there were a couple of things in the movie to lead me to believe Jean had "evolved" into another mutant. 1. Her conversation w/ Scott in the museum 2. Prof. X glancing out the window and 3. the firey image in the water. But still, not being very knowledgeable in X-Men comics I was in total awe.

There were definitely a lot of seeds planted for the whole Dark Phoenix storyline throughout the movie, and as El Chux mentioned a hint was even given in the first movie. They were obviously all very intentional.

I also enjoyed the little tent scene with Wolverine and Mystique. I have heard that in the comics Nightcrawler was actually their son, but I could be wrong about that. So, I thought it was pretty cool that would even hint at a relationship between them.

It was hinted in the comics that Mystique is actually the mother of both Nightcrawler and Rogue, though the question was never officially answered as far as I know. It was never implied that Wolverine was ever involved with Mystique in that way, and certainly never implied that he was Nightcrawler's father.

Originally posted by icatch9
Here is a question for you guys. If Scott and Jean were students when they were younger who were their teachers? Was Prof. X the only one? If they did have other teachers where are they now? What are they up to?

Professor X was their only teacher. In fact, there was not even a school back then - at least, not aside from that first class of Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Angel, and Iceman. The whole "school" thing came in with the New X-Men - Colossus, Nightcrawler, Banshee, Thunderbird, Storm, and the New Mutants.

Darth Shifty
05-05-2003, 02:50 PM
Did anyone else catch the reference to a certain Fantastic individual in the film? When Mystique was hacking the 'puters there was a file named "Reed Richards." Do you guys think we'll finally see ol' blue eyes and the bunch on the screen soon?

James Boba Fettfield
05-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Yes, Fantastic Four is coming from Fox, but let's not get into that too much in this X2 thread.

El Chuxter
05-05-2003, 03:17 PM
Guyote, IIRC, Mystique was revealed to have been lying when she told Rogue that she was her mother. However, I think shortly after Claremont left and I dropped the titles, it was finally stated that Nightcrawler was definitely Mystique's son. I think that was the same in the cartoon about ten years ago.

Y'know the only thing that could've improved this movie? More scenes, speaking lines, and even some usage of powers by Jubilation Lee. She's always been one of my favorites. Like totally rad, y'know? :cool:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Personally, i'd love to see them do a movie with Jean just still dead and letting the Phoenix saga on the back burner. Then maybe in another movie, do the Phoenix saga. Just my thoughts though. :D

El Chuxter
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM
I seem to recall Bryan Singer at some point saying he wanted to do a movie with Apocalypse as the main villain. It's possible #3 could involve Apocalypse (and thus providing a great excuse to introduce Warren Worthington), who is defeated in the end by a mysteriously reborn Jean Grey. . . .

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2003, 03:51 PM
Ah!! We gotta stop talking about the next movie, cause lord knows when it'll be and who it'll involve!! Getting too freakin' giddy over something that isn't definite! Argh! :D

jlw
05-05-2003, 10:40 PM
Hey thanks RooJay for the info!!

Here's something else; has there been any confirmation as to whether or not there will only be 3 X-Men movies? I would love to see other stuff dealt with, but not at the expense of ruining the franchise, like they did with the 1980's Superman & early 1990's Batman movies.

RooJay
05-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Personally, i'd love to see them do a movie with Jean just still dead and letting the Phoenix saga on the back burner. Then maybe in another movie, do the Phoenix saga. Just my thoughts though. :D

Always a possibility!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2003, 07:43 AM
Hey, here's a question: did anybody see Stan Lee in his usual marvel movie cameo? I forgot to look for him, but i'm not even sure he was in it. The only scenes i could think he'd be in was the one at the museum or.........the one at the museum!! :D

icatch9
05-06-2003, 09:22 AM
If he was there it wasn't as obvious as it was in DD. I don't want to fule the fire about X3, but he's what I think.

It seems that they have keep these movies very realistic. More realistic than the comics or cartoon. That being said, the Dark Phoenix Saga has to do with Aliens and Suns being destroyed. Now, that is an amazing comic, but I don't know how well it would translate to a movie. It would be to big with to much going on. Jean will come back, but I don't know if it will be that similar to the comic.

Hey, when Mystic and Magnito were walking to the chopper after they left the dam, did anyone else see a little more of Mystic than normal? I could of just been dreaming, but it seemed that she was a little bit see-through. Worth paying closer attention to the next time you see it :D.

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Way back a few pages I posted the information why Stan isn't in X2. As Stan Lee said......

No, no I don't, I don't think I'm gonna have cameos in the sequels 'cause I think that gets to be a little much. I'm hoping I can have a cameo in the first movie of each character.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2003, 10:50 AM
Ah, i do apologize for not browsing the earlier threads, JBFF. Thanks for the info! :D

James Boba Fettfield
05-06-2003, 11:17 AM
It's okay, I ramble and people never listen. I think it's because I posted that story about the new Street Fighter movie. But that's neither here nor there.

mabudonicus
05-06-2003, 01:16 PM
Apocalypse makes sense, after all, we have the anti-mutant conspiracy in full swing in this film,but where is it actually coming from?? In the 1st film, it was kinda assumed that hardcore "family values" types were using it as some sort of tool, then in this film someone's OBVIOUSLY stirring the pot, but who, and why?? The disappearance of Jean at the end is good as a setup...
The way I see it, once it's revealed the TRUE nature of the mutant crusade (and I'm pretty sure intolerance is only a device, not the real root cause, just like in WWII, where the race was unimportant, the opression and persecution were the keys, the target wasn't so important), probably something to do with Apocalypse ( since even Magneto isn't the real Bad Guy, there must be something else), then you've got an otherworldy power for good in the Phoenix...... that scene where Prof X "zones out" near the end, IMHO it showed the "cosmic balance" finally being restored by the formation of the Phoenix, to counter the "growing evil" which had up to that point had no opposing force... after all, he says that "everything's gonna be fine"line....
How does that sound?
PS I liked the film, it was just too long

jpak001
05-07-2003, 02:17 AM
Saw it on Sunday, I really did enjoy it! Freakin awesome move, just like the 1st. It's so nice to see Marvel character movies done so well these days!

Only time I was dissapointed was when Wolvie turned down Mystique in the tent..... What was he thinking:eek:!?!?!?!? Just imagine the possibilities! :crazed:

scruffziller
05-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Who was the little kid with round glasses watching TV when Wolvie says "Does anyone sleep around here?" Hugh really looked like Wolverine moreso than in the first. He wasn't as agressive though as he has in the comics and cartoons. He was a little too mellow and giddy for my tastes. He better have his mask in the next movie!!!!!! I sure hope they make more than 3 movies. I believe that Stryker's son is who Mastermind is. I believe he survived that building crash and is the one who will bring in Apocolypse. The most ingenous scene-- Using the guard as a way to transport iron. Whoever thought that up!!!
*bow, bow, bow* "We're not worthy"!!!!

Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
Way back a few pages I posted the information why Stan isn't in X2. As Stan Lee said...... No, no I don't, I don't think I'm gonna have cameos in the sequels 'cause I think that gets to be a little much. I'm hoping I can have a cameo in the first movie of each character.

Whoah does that mean they are making a movie for each individual charachter????:crazed:

Sentinel18725
05-07-2003, 08:48 AM
My only thought about the little kid watching TV is Richard Reed's kid. I don't know if that is it but I haven't read comics in a while.

scruffziller
05-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Who was Richard Reed's kid and who was Richard Reed??? Clue me in.

icatch9
05-07-2003, 11:48 AM
Well, Reid Richards is Mr. Fantastic. You know fromt eh Fantastic 4. He's got the elastic body. I didn't realize that he and the Invisable Woman had kids, but I'm not a big FF fan.

I know they all live in the same universe and time, but the FF aren't mutants. They were changed by some sort of accident. It's funny how you can have the FF, Spiderman, Blade, and the X men all living in the same world. Given the fact that the FF, Spiderman, and the Hulk aren't mutants. Wow, there are a lot of freaks running around the Mavel world :D. I guess that's what makes it so interesting.

scruffziller
05-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Thanx I forgot.

jpak001
05-07-2003, 02:31 PM
I don't think that was Reeds kid (Nathaniel Richards?). I bet that kid was just what Roojay was saying, a un-named background character.

I mean, they're still doing the FF movie, and that will probably start off with the formation of the FF. Little richards doesn't pop up until waaaaaay later in the FF story.

Also IIRC, that kid was all powerful. he probably would've wasted ALL of those special forces guys when they invaded the mansion (or at least incompacitated them).

James Boba Fettfield
05-07-2003, 02:38 PM
So Mr. Fantastic is the dad of Harry Potter, interesting. Anyway, I think that kid was credited as just an x-kid for the film.

Sentinel18725
05-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Nice..Harry Potter....ahhh...I'm still laughing!

O.K. I'm fine now.

I just saw the movie again. Did anyone notice in the bar when Mystique was looking oh so tasty that Dr. McCoy was talking on the TV screen. Nice usage of cameos for upcoming movies!

scruffziller
05-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Sentinel18725
Nice..Harry Potter....ahhh...I'm still laughing!

O.K. I'm fine now.

I just saw the movie again. Did anyone notice in the bar when Mystique was looking oh so tasty that Dr. McCoy was talking on the TV screen. Nice usage of cameos for upcoming movies!

oh absolutley

RooJay
05-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by jpak001
Saw it on Sunday, I really did enjoy it! Freakin awesome move, just like the 1st. It's so nice to see Marvel character movies done so well these days!

Only time I was dissapointed was when Wolvie turned down Mystique in the tent..... What was he thinking:eek:!?!?!?!? Just imagine the possibilities! :crazed:

He was probably thinking that she was a greasy-haired, slutty, blue chick with scale covering all of her best parts.

...not that I probably wouldn't anyway!;)

mabudonicus
05-08-2003, 01:01 PM
I believe the kid was Artie, or that was my impression... he can't speak, and could project images into people's heads, in the comics at least... he was a morlock, I think, and hung around with Leech and Caliban during the mutant massacre (xmen 210-214, xfactor 11 or so, several other books)
I coulda sworn someone calls him "artie" at one point, too, which backs me up...

RooJay
05-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by jpak001
I don't think that was Reeds kid (Nathaniel Richards?). I bet that kid was just what Roojay was saying, a un-named background character.

I mean, they're still doing the FF movie, and that will probably start off with the formation of the FF. Little richards doesn't pop up until waaaaaay later in the FF story.

Also IIRC, that kid was all powerful. he probably would've wasted ALL of those special forces guys when they invaded the mansion (or at least incompacitated them).

Speaking as someone who's read a lot of comics and is very familiar with the Fantastic Four I can say that you'd be absolutely right in betting that.
Franklin Richards has been around since the early eighties and Reed and Sue actually have a second child now, a girl, named Valeria (whose story is a bit more convoluted right now than I'd care to explain). While Franklin Richards is a mutant, and perhaps the most powerful mutant in the Marvel Universe - I assure you that he has nothing to do with the kid in the glasses who changes channels by blinking his eyes (in fact, Franklin has never had much of anything to do with the X-Men for any extended length of time in the comics outside of the whole Onslaught thing). I promise you all that that kid was created specifically for the X-Men sequel, and probably doesn't even have a name outside of studio call sheets and other behind-the-scenes sources.

The little cameos and winks to the fans are fun, but I assure you that not everything in this movie is one of those.;)

Also, Artie was the name already given to one of the kids in the movie - he was the one with the nasty looking, forked tongue; the same kid rescued by Wolvie at the end of the film. I actually covered that one a couple pages back.

jpak001
05-08-2003, 03:46 PM
That's right, Franklin Richards! Ah well, I haven't read any FF books in a while ;)

RooJay
05-08-2003, 07:46 PM
Here's some info I came across at Cinescape.com (http://www.cinescape.com) that I thought might be of interest here:

originally posted at Cinescape.com
Thanks to the efforts of one of our readers, Silverblade, we've got a rundown of which names appeared on Stryker's files, and what the codename is of the mutant as they exist in the X-MEN comic book universe!

Guthrie, Paige (Husk)

Guthrie, Samuel (Cannonball)

Harada, Keniucho (known as The Silver Samurai)

Kane, Garrison (Weapon X)

LeBeau, Remy (Gambit)

Lensherr, Eric M (Magneto)

Maddicks, Artie (Artie)

Madrox, Jamie (Multiple Man)

Mahn, Xi'an Coy (Karma)

Maximoff (2) (Wanda and Pietro, Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver. Names weren't specified)

McTaggart, Kevin (Proteus)

Moonstar, Danielle (Moonstar)

Munroe, Ororo (Storm)

On another screen there were a series of folders on the computer's desktop. These folders listed some well-known individuals or places from the X-Men universe, including:

Omega Red (Russian mutant super soldier)

Muir Island (Scottish mutant research facility)

Project Wideawake (Codename for Sentinel project)

Franklin Richards (Son of Fantastic Four's Reed Richards and Sue Storm, born a mutant)

Cerebro (Mutant tracking device created by Professor Xavier and Magneto)

There are other X2 "easter eggs" contained in Stryker's computer files that will only become apparent when we're able to slow down the movie and advance it frame-by-frame.

Jedi Clint
05-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks for posting that info RooJay!

Just saw X2 last night.

SPOILERS

Why didn't they crash? Magneto CAUGHT their plane. :)
"Too much iron in your blood." :)

I'd like to see real life x-rays of Hugh Jackman's skeleton, because I swear he IS Wolverine. :)

Not sure if this is an exact quote, but "You want to shoot me. DO IT!" :)

I like how they developed the character of Bobby Drake (Iceman).

It was cool seeing Peter shruggin' off bullets.

Dr. Hank McCoy is obviously not blue and furry......yet! He was a news show pundit as seen on the TV in the bar.

I'm betting DeathStryke is not deceased. Instead her body is continuously trying to heal. Can't Eric manipulate the adamantium out that Logan injected into her?

Stryker's project did not die with him. Someone will pick it up again. I don't think it will be under the administration of the United States though. Whoever picks it up will probably start the sentinel program.

The respect shown in lifting the character of Kurt Wagner (Nightcrawler) from the comics and painting him on the screen refreshed my faith in Brian Singer's ability to bring the X world to life.....not that it was lacking in the first place. Kurt is one of my favorite X-folk.

Just an early guess - Jean will be instrumental in the resolution of the human mutant conflict in the next film.

It would be really nice to see Gambit charging cards and blowing up sentinels in the next one.

Good to see Omega Red get's a mention. Hopefully we will see him in the next one as well.

El Chuxter
05-09-2003, 03:24 PM
Lady Deathstrike is dead. It's been established that mutants with healing factors can die from suffocation or drowning (among other methods). If she didn't drown in the tank, the flood killed her.

Erik could take the extra adamantium out of her body, but would he? And since her healing factor most likely wouldn't be able to deal with adamantium filling her entire body, my money's on her not coming back. Like Toad and Sabertooth, in the movie universe, she's deader than a doornail.

Beast
05-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Toad isn't dead, and neither is Sabertooth according to one of the people that worked on the film. According to the people that worked on X-2, there was a planned big mid-air battle between Toad and Nightcrawler in X-2, but it and the character was dropped for time. I'll try to dig up the info I saw. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
05-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Here's the section:

The interior of Alkali Lake's abandoned base, which included some very intricate prison cells and a giant cylindrical room where a big fight sequence was going to happen between Toad and Nightcrawler, a breathtaking mid-air battle.
And the full Story:

Inside the X2 Production
Submitted by: David Server

BY DAVID SERVER | Hey X-Fans! X2 Production Designer Guy Dyas was nice enough to take time out of his busy schedule in Prague working on Terry Gilliam's "Brothers Grimm" to talk to CountingDown about some key concepts and character designs from the new X-Men flick that's currently rocking the box office! But enough from me -- onto the one and only Guy Dyas!

Nightcrawler:

One of my favorite aspects about designing for a film like X2 is that you get to interpret the designs and translate the look from drawing to live action film for the new characters. For most of the characters in X2, I start out with sketches based on Bryan Singer's vision. Then it really is a collaboration of many departments from special FX make-up to costume to help bring the design to life.

For Nightcrawler, we started out with a very demonic interpretation. I love the way Adam Kubert draws the X-Men and to me, his design of Nightcrawler was the right direction to go for his big screen debut. Adam's drawings show him both as very charismatic and extremely agile. Then of course the casting of Nightcrawler played a big part in his design. When Bryan cast Alan Cumming we were able to weave in a lot of additional characteristics. For example, Alan made Nightcrawler a lot more mischievous, which I think plays well into the rest of the X-Men, Alan is also very graceful which fits in perfectly with Nightcrawler's past as a circus performer... We then did some concept sketches for the special effects make-up department, specifically Nightcrawler's face, hands, feet and tail. I guess that the biggest challenge with Nightcrawler was the fact that we were adding a new character with blue skin and we wanted to make him stand apart from Mystique. In the comics it works well when several characters have similar characteristics but in the film, we felt we needed more differentiation. We did tests for Nightcrawler with several shades of blue, finally choosing the midnight blue seen in the film. The blue make-up foundation used by the make-up department was a very complicated process and ended up involving several layers of black and blue so as to accentuate Nightcrawler's facial features. We even added some metallic into the blue for added dimension. The scars on Nightcrawler's face and body are something new and the idea was actually introduced by our writers Dan Harris and Mike Dougherty.

Nightcrawler's tail was my favorite feature to design because it needed to seem alive and never look like an added rubber prosthetic. Originally the shape was a lot more demon like but we wanted it to be more than just the triangular devil's tail shape. If you look at Nightcrawler's tail closely, you will notice that we've kept the silhouette but we've also added some ridges and hollow areas, which make it seem articulated. We also added some barbs on the edges which allow it t grab onto things very easily without necessarily having to wrap around objects. This is a feature that is not unlike some of the textures and characteristics found on deep sea fish which was one of my sources of inspiration. I also have to say that one of the great benefits of working on Marvel comics adaptations is that there is such a vast pool of great artwork to reference for inspiration. With each new character being introduced we are spoilt for choice, Marvel is an institution when it comes to great artists and designers. We never held any official meetings with any of the Marvel comics artists but Avi Arad and Kevin Feige were always there during pre-production to advise us in bringing the X-Men world to life. They have a great sense of style and an inherent knowledge about the way the Marvel world is best portrayed. That said, Marvel was also great in letting Bryan and I surprise them with a lot of new visual ideas !

About Deathstrike:

Because of the story line in X2, having Deathstrike wear a black suit seemed the logical way to go. For most of the film she has to be quite subdued and when she is finally revealed, we felt that we couldn't just have her break out into her flashy red and yellow suit, although I like what she wears in the comic book a lot, it's very sexy ! In the film, the costume that Bryan envisioned and that Louise the costume designer created is very intricate, it's very theatrical and in many ways it's reminiscent of the comic book. It's detailing is really beautiful, very 3 dimensional which combined with her ultra long adamantium claws makes her one of the films best visual surprises. When designing her claws, realism is what Bryan and I strived for. In the same way that Colossus' transformation needed to seem intuitive and biological, Deathstrike's claws needed to appear in a fluid and flawless manner. Once the design for her adamantium claws was finalized, we had prosthetics made and then in the fight sequences we added them in CG.

About Stryker's base:

This set always appealed to me from the very first time I read the script because it's a mythical place when it comes to Wolverine and the story of the X-Men. Stryker's base was also exciting to design because of the extensive scenes that take place there and the importance of the color and feel of the environment. This secret base is like nothing the X-Men have ever seen before. The color and overall palette is very different from the sets in the rest of the film and in particular Xavier's world back at the mansion. We built Stryker's base on the biggest stage in Northern America so essentially Bryan and I had the freedom and luxury to design and build this set in one piece. . the period and architectural style is 1930's industrial, enhanced with pockets of ultra modern details and technologies. The modern additions are supposed to reflect Stryker's desire to retrofit little by little the entire complex and restore it's original functionality. To a certain extent Bryan gave me a lot of freedom with this set and I was able to work very closely with Tom Sigel our D.P. and his team when it came to the variations in the lighting. It was important that Stryker's base appear both high tech, yet claustrophobic and on the brink of self destruction due to age and decay.

The augmentation room, which is a part of Stryker's base, is in many ways going to be the "piece de resistance" for fans of the X-Men! Bryan Singer, Tom De Santo and I added all sorts of intricate details to help tie it better into the X-Men universe and the comic books. The augmentation room is used both in flashback scenes and in a climactic fight sequence towards the end of X2. For me, it was an absolute honor and dream come true to be able to design the place where Logan becomes Wolverine!

About Beast:

Beast was so close to making it into X2 that I'm almost certain that he'll appear in the next film. Actually in X2 there's a scene with Doctor McCoy that Bryan cleverly included, which in many ways sets up his future appearance. The challenge with Beast is that most of the time in the comics he's blue and has a very similar hairstyle to Wolverine's. This meant that we needed to set him apart by accentuating his most Beast like characteristics. We tried to do this by giving him more of a blue-grey tint, covering him with a layer of fine hair and by making him extremely muscular. Our concept for Beast was never tested on an actor, but we could already see that he is going to be a great cinematic presence! We've made every effort to be as faithful as possible to the comic.

About Colossus:

First and foremost, Bryan looks for realism in his interpretation of the X-Men and I think that's what really sets his films apart. For Colossus, Bryan cast a great young actor and my job was to conceptualize the morphing of his skin from a normal appearance to the metallic structure Colossus is famous for. Once again we wanted his transformation to be intuitive and biological so we assumed that Colossus' body permanently contains a form of liquid metal which only appears as a body shield when he feels threatened. It's as though his body contains metal alloy bones and muscles which appear when his skin becomes translucent on the surface. The visual effects for this transformation work really well in the film because in recent years CG techniques for rendering metal and liquid metal forms have been perfected thanks to many past sci-fi films. Also the scene showing Colossus' transformation is set at night, the conditions are dark which help emphasize the reflections of the metal. It's very dramatic while leaving a lot to the imagination. I'm sure that we'll see a lot more of Colossus and this effect in future X-Men films.

About the X-jet:

In the first X-men film, there were very few scenes in the X-Jet and so a design was never fully conceptualized and a bare minimum was built for the set. If you look back at the scene it shows very little and the illusion works quite well. However in X2, a lot of key scenes take place inside the X-jet and I needed to fully design it. To me the X-Jet is Storm's domain and as such I designed the interiors with very sleek lines in order to perfectly combine form and function. The X-jet is also involved in a lot of key scenes and stunts which required that we build several versions of it, some set pieces were actually taken to some of our mountain locations for some exterior scenes.

One of my favorite scenes is the opening sequence of Nightcrawler's attack on the White house:

Our White House set is obviously not an exact duplicate of the White House, but rather a condensed version of it. This set was the very first set I knew I had to build because of the very elaborate nature of Nightcrawler's acrobatics and stunts. For example the secretary's office that's connected the Oval office and the corridors were designed slightly larger in scale, giving our stunt co-ordinator more freedom when staging the fights. For safety reasons we also added padding under all of the carpets and we built a lot of the fixtures (including the frames around the paintings) out of rubber.

The only room that was built as an exact replica both in size and in furnishings is the Oval office. We went to great lengths to recreate everything in detail. For example we had one of our construction crew members work exclusively on building and carving the President's desk. We also duplicated the existing pattern and seal of the Oval office's carpet by having our carpet woven to match. This adds a nice touch to Nightcrawler's attack sequence because so many shots were filmed from above, looking straight down onto the room and the carpet.

The White House set was very popular with the cast and crew during filming, so much so that it was also used for a lot of the publicity stills as well. We even celebrated Halle Berry's birthday in the Oval office and I'm pretty sure that absolutely everyone took the opportunity to sit behind the president's desk !

About the plastic prison:

This set is all about high security and so my design had to convey that idea. In the original film we established Magneto's plastic prison cell, but we really had no idea beyond that as to how it functioned in relation to the rest of the facility. We saw a walk way extending from the cell, which was a brilliant idea, but it was my job to build upon that. Bryan Singer and I really worked on the design of this set and we came up with the various security check points as seen in the final footage of the film. The room that is best featured is the film is the final metal detection area before the walk way to Magneto's cell. It's a very sterile environment and it's meant to represent a flawless system to stop Magneto from coming into contact with any metals. But as we soon realize no system is entirely perfect and with time many have forgotten how dangerous Magneto can be!

About the Danger Room:

This is a set that was fully conceptualized and was going to be a key moment in X2 because it was going to allow us to witness one of Wolverine's training sessions. The room's overall shape was oval, but the control room from which Xavier can monitor the progress of each session was going to be mobile. So basically the fight was going to be very dynamic because the Danger Room's weapons were going to be dynamic and our point of view from the control room was going to be dynamic. I am a big fan of Adam Kubert's work and he's very cool because he did a story board sequence for me showing Wolverine in action and based on my Danger Room design. We built half of the enormous set on stage, however due to time constraints the overall sequence needed to be cut from the final script. It was particularly sad for me because so much development, design and even construction effort went into the set, but ultimately I think that it is better to save it for a future film so as to be able to feature it fully. With a scene taking place in a space like the Danger Room you just don't want to have to compromise and I think that it will be a big part of the next film.

About the Sentinels:

The Sentinels are something that Bryan and I were already designing even before the start of pre-production on X2. We wanted to have a specific Sentinel design in mind so as to better help Bryan and the writers incorporate them into the story. For inspiration I mostly looked at Alex Ross' designs of the Sentinels because they are simultaneously beautiful, industrial and eerie. I then made a visual chart of every robot ever portrayed on film so as to influence myself to come up with a brand new design, in the hopes of creating something truly original. Without sounding pretentious I just wanted to design something never seen before on film for the Sentinels! Currently my sketches are locked away and are waiting to hopefully be used in a future film...

About X3:

I haven't heard anything official about X3 yet, but I know that with X2 we tried to not only expand the X-Men universe but also create a slightly darker tone. What I like about working with Bryan is that he has a really clear vision for the X-Men films and this makes for a very creative and interesting design process. In X2 I had over 65 sets to create and needless to say that as a relatively new production designer I learned a lot, there was so much star power in our film. As an artist I am drawn to films with a touch of fantasy. I always like to try and see the world through fresh eyes. My childhood was influenced by images of films that were larger than life and that's probably why I had such a great time designing for the X-Men.

We designed a lot of new characters and environments for X2. Some made it into the final film and others will be saved for future episodes. Basically the designs that didn't make it in the film were:

The Danger Room and the Danger room control room (where someone can monitor & supervise the training sessions)

Beast and Beast's laboratory

Angel and Archangel

The interior of Alkali Lake's abandoned base, which included some very intricate prison cells and a giant cylindrical room where a big fight sequence was going to happen between Toad and Nightcrawler, a breathtaking mid-air battle.

A land vehicle that was going to come out of the cargo area of the X-Jet.

A secret level in the Pentagon in Washington D.C.

That's all from Mr. Dyas folks -- we here at CountingDown would like to thank him once more for all his time and for sending us these groovy images to boot!

http://www.countingdown.com/features/?feature_id=3037579

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Clint
05-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Lady Deathstrike is dead. It's been established that mutants with healing factors can die from suffocation or drowning (among other methods). If she didn't drown in the tank, the flood killed her.

Erik could take the extra adamantium out of her body, but would he? And since her healing factor most likely wouldn't be able to deal with adamantium filling her entire body, my money's on her not coming back. Like Toad and Sabertooth, in the movie universe, she's deader than a doornail.

I wasn't aware that the mutant healing factor had been quantified in those regards. I thought they left the ability to bring her back in the next one open...maybe not. Would Eric save her? She almost snapped out of being controlled by the mutant brain juice, but we never got the opportunity to see what she'd be like when she wasn't under that influence. If Eric knew of Wolverine's past, perhaps he also knew of Deathstrike's. It wouldn't hurt for him to round up an accomplice or two given the opportunity.

AT-AT Man
05-11-2003, 12:21 AM
can't wait for beast, and i wouldv'e loved to see angel.

Eternal Padawan
05-12-2003, 05:45 PM
TOP TEN REASONS WHY X2 RULED!

1. When Wolverine sinks all six claws up to the knuckle in the first commado in the kitchen. He's the best he is at what he does. And what he does isn't very nice. ;)

2. Nightcrawler! Speaking with a German accent! And BAMFing all over the place like a fool! The only thing missing was Logan calling him an "elf".

3. Collosus! "I can help." You bet your sweet bippy you can!

4. Magneto's escape. And THAT my friends is why he's called the master of magnetism.

5. Bobby chilling Logan's soda pop. :)

6. Fammke Jansen. Halle Berry. Rebecca Rojmin. Anna Paquin. and now Kelly Hu. And all wearing skintight leather or less. YUMMY!

7. The computer files on Stryker's PC screen. A fangeek insider nods to the Marvel Universe wet dream. All in about five seconds.

8. Biggest laugh getter in the theatre: Professor of Art, Dr. Logan PhD.

9. Bickety bam! Wolverine vs. Lady Deathstrike! Makes the Mystique/ Wolvie scuffle from X1 look like dance lessons from Junior High gym class...

10. $85 million opening weekend. I foresee several sequels. Can't get enough Mutant on film action! Now where's the Meltdown Movie with Alec Newman's Havoc drinking Hugh's Wolverine under the table in some seedy south of the border bar?
"First one to use their power buys the beer for the rest of the trip..."

El Chuxter
05-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Don't forget #11: Storm's calling a certain spunky mutant by name and not ending up on the cutting room floor!

I think they definitely need a Wolverine spin-off movie. Sabertooth should return for that, and (personal biases aside) I think they need to throw in Jubilee as the "WTF is she doing there?" sidekick, a la the classic Hama storylines from twelve years ago.

Eternal Padawan
05-12-2003, 05:58 PM
I was gonna have #10 read:

10. Two words. Jubilation Lee.

but that would have been for your benefit more than anything, oh benevolent bearmeister. ;)

icatch9
05-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Can you belive that Famke Jenssen is 38 years old! Wow!! Talk about a MILF!

Thought you guys would like to know.

Eternal Padawan
05-13-2003, 02:28 PM
I think you have to have children in order to be a MILF. ;)

You know what they say....The older the violin, the sweeter the music.

icatch9
05-13-2003, 02:51 PM
I guess so, but still I was shocked when I calculated her age. Mother or not, she's flaming hot for a 38 year old.

Get it flaming......you know, like Phoenix :D:D:D.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-13-2003, 05:03 PM
So, according to superherohype, Kelly Hu has been signed on for X3. So, i guess Deathstrike did survive somehow. Take that non true-believers! hehehehehehehehehe :D

Jedi Clint
05-13-2003, 06:01 PM
So, according to superherohype, Kelly Hu has been signed on for X3. So, i guess Deathstrike did survive somehow. Take that non true-believers! hehehehehehehehehe :D

If true, I think she has Mags to thank for being anything less than a paper weight.

icatch9
05-14-2003, 09:05 AM
Yea, it's hard to kill a super hero. Especially one who's as cool and HOT as Lady Death Strike. Anything is possible in the Comic universe. After all even Superman can die, and then come back in like 4 different forms.

JediTricks
05-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by BlahBlahBlah
The ending was re-shot to incorporate Jean not being there.

The book ends right after they leave the White House-- and Jean is with them. She helps them get the Blackbird up from inside the jet.

The movie ending was redone to set up the Phoenix, I guess. I finally saw the film and one of the things I thought didn't work on the logic-end of things was Jean's death. First off, we've already seen her stop stuff from inside the jet in this film, BIG stuff like a missile; so that whole "going outside to die" thing seemed forced. Secondly, what exactly is the point of having mutants like Iceman/Bobby Drake in the story at this point if he doesn't use his powers to... oh, I don't know, FREEZE THE LAKE?!? Findally, the whole thing felt too much like a straight ripoff of the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and a more general begging for more films in this franchise.

That or the book is incorrect. The books are usually based on early screenplays and whatnot, so the Phoenix idea might have been the idea all along. :D The book and the comic adaptation both supposedly have different endings from the film so as not to giveaway the death of Jean/Rise of the Phoenix stuff.

It was hinted in the comics that Mystique is actually the mother of both Nightcrawler and Rogue, though the question was never officially answered as far as I know. It was never implied that Wolverine was ever involved with Mystique in that way, and certainly never implied that he was Nightcrawler's father. Though I'm not a huge reader of the comics, wasn't she supposed to be Rogue's adoptive mother rather than biological?

It seems that they have keep these movies very realistic. More realistic than the comics or cartoon. That being said, the Dark Phoenix Saga has to do with Aliens and Suns being destroyed. Now, that is an amazing comic, but I don't know how well it would translate to a movie. It would be to big with to much going on. Jean will come back, but I don't know if it will be that similar to the comic. This was my primary concern coming out of the theater yesterday, and it's also been a concern I've felt for Spider-man over the Venom issue.

Given the fact that the FF, Spiderman, and the Hulk aren't mutants. I believe they are mutants, just not naturally-occuring ones. This is what Magneto was trying to accomplish with all the world's leaders in the first X-men film.

I thought the film was pretty good but lacked cohesion. I didn't love the costumes or the sets, and I thought Lady Deathstrike was a massive disappointment as a character. I didn't love her big fight with Wolvie either. After hearing about how great the "bamf" was supposed to be, it came off sounding like someone dropping a large, heavy, dusty book... over and over and over. :D I now officially cannot fathom why Halle Berry is a star, she came off pretty much exactly the same as she does in everything and I do not care for that - she doesn't seem very much like Storm to me.

Eternal Padawan
05-14-2003, 09:08 PM
I think Marvel distinguishes between the two by referring to them as mutants and mutates...

I agree about Berry. Nice to look at, but...if they wanted to recast Storm in the third one with ohhhh say Gabrielle Union for example, I don't think anybody would raise too much of a stink. Just think of it as a different artist drawing the comic book. ;)

I kept thinking Bobby would try to freeze the lake but it would be too much for his powers to handle, thus forcing Jean to step in. Why didn't Storm whip up a freezing blizzard? Why didn't Kurt teleport everybody to the topside of the lake? It's just more DRAMATIC man... ;)

BOTTOM 5 THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT X2

1. Cyclops was in it for what 15 seconds? And his big scene was a hammy crying scene. Bleah. I hope Havoc shows up in a film or two so we can see some brother vs brother angst.

2. Pyro's lame dialogue: "You know those dangerous mutants everyone's always talking about? I'm the worst one..." UGH.

3. Nightcrawler's peppermint pajama pants. How intimidating is a crimefighter who rolled out of bed and is fighting evil in his bathrobe and pjs? Yawn.

4. The thing with the President at the end? What was that? Goofy.

5. Not enough Jubilation ( if you know what I mean....)

THE Slayer
05-14-2003, 11:21 PM
I think Pyro's lame dialouge fit his lame character perfectly. It sounded like something a 16yr old-angry-at momma-mutant would say. He's not that original, he gets to pick his own name and he picks Pyro! Storm also has this creativity issue.

Beast
05-15-2003, 12:02 AM
Didn't Professor X name give the X-Men their codenames. So if anyone is to blame for their names, it's him. Besides, all of them have simplistic names. These did start out as kid's comic book characters. Just look at the original team from the comics, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Beast, and Angel. We're not exactly talking elaborite creativity in the naming department here. :)

Speaking of the original team, good old Hank McCoy and Warren Worthington better be in X3. In their familar Furry Blue Beast and Angel versions. It was nice to see Hank on TV in his human form in the second one, but he's been furry and blue in the comics longer then he was ever human, so that's how he's best known. And don't get me started on the bastardized feline Beast in the new comics. :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-15-2003, 04:38 AM
BOTTOM 5 THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE ABOUT X2
1. Cyclops was in it for what 15 seconds?

LOL, for me that makes the top 5 about what I DID like about X2, the less I see of Cyclops, the better ! :D

2. Pyro's lame dialogue: "You know those dangerous mutants everyone's always talking about? I'm the worst one..." UGH.

I'll certainly agree there. :crazed:
I was thinking about this line tonight at work . . . and I've decided that it is actually worse than Storm's can of ham about Toads and lightning (from the first movie). :rolleyes:

icatch9
05-15-2003, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JediTricks
[B]I finally saw the film and one of the things I thought didn't work on the logic-end of things was Jean's death. First off, we've already seen her stop stuff from inside the jet in this film, BIG stuff like a missile; so that whole "going outside to die" thing seemed forced. Secondly, what exactly is the point of having mutants like Iceman/Bobby Drake in the story at this point if he doesn't use his powers to... oh, I don't know, FREEZE THE LAKE?!? Findally, the whole thing felt too much like a straight ripoff of the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and a more general begging for more films in this franchise.[QUOTE]Originally posted by JediTricks
[B]

A missile is not as big as billions of gallons of water. Clearly she had to have all of her concentration to stop the water.

Bobby Drake is not prepaired to use his powers. That's also a huge point to the whole story. How the younger mutants are just kids and don't understand how or what to do. We always expect our Super Heros to know exactly what to do to save the day. Well in this case the younger students aren't ready to save the world. Plus, even a full grown Iceman probally couldn't instantly freez that much flowing water. After all flowing water takes a very very very cold night to freeze. Same deal with storm. A cold blizard would take time to freeze, time they didn't have.

I don't think it's a rip off of WoK. The good of the many out weigh the good of the few is a ago old addage. Star Trek didn't invent that, it's been in stores for a long long time.

Why wouldn't they want to have a ending that allows for more films? I mean these films make 100's of millions of dollars. I think I'd make a few more too for that box office return.

mrmiller
05-15-2003, 09:42 AM
JT always has the best debates!

I half way agree on Hale Barry. I do like her as an actress, but i do not like her, or see her, as storm. One of the main things that bothers me is her hair, or lack of. She just doesn't seem like the storm character.

And I had the perfect "Movie Friendly" ending. Since we never see Rouge or Iceman do much, it should have used them to end the movie, especially if they will have even more screen time next movie. I say have Bobby down on the river bottom trying the freeze the water, but it be a little too much for him. As Iceman is standing there with one hand held out in front of him trying to freeze the oncomming river, have Rouge go down to the river and take his free hand and outstrech her other arm to help. Or even better, she loooks into his eyes, have them embrase and kiss, and have their arms reach out to the side and freeze the river together. They wouldn't even have to freeze it all, just create a barrier around them and the ship. Then have Jean raise the ship, and use Nightcrawler, yet again, to Teleport back down and get the other two. Like I said, a good "movie ending". That way Iceman and Rouge are actually useful. Plus, since it's a happy movie ending, there would be no need to know why it didn't hurt Bobby, and it would give us all something else to "Debate".

=MATT=

Porcelina
05-15-2003, 10:32 AM
i agree with most of your "top ten" lists, but you guys missed out an awesome part!!--mystique sliding under the door and giving the finger to stryker.... love it!!
i also LOVE LOVE LOVE nightcrawler... this is definitely a girly thing to say but, he was sooooooo cute! teehee :kiss:

on another note, as much as i think famke janssen is good, every time i see her, i remember how she STOLE robert downey jr. away from ally mcbeal (in the show) and then i want to kill her! to me, she will always be that person..... :mad:

El Chuxter
05-15-2003, 01:18 PM
5. Not enough Jubilation ( if you know what I mean....)

Absolutely not! She was only in it for maybe thirty seconds (which, granted, was more than Scott "Slim" Summers), and wearing cheesy PJ's. Seriously, my own preferences on which X-Men are the coolest aside, they made a point to have her in the Robin getup with the giant earrings in X-Men, and to call her by name in this one. Why not show her throw some fireworks at the intruders before getting nabbed?

I read in Entertainment Weekly that Singer is a fan of Gambit, Beast, and Archangel, so maybe they'll show up next time. I bet Beast and Archangel weren't in this one because it'd be way too many blue characters, but they could do some color alterations to work them into X3. I wouldn't mind Beast being gray or brown.

THE Slayer
05-15-2003, 01:45 PM
I would love to see Beast also, but I fear it would somehow ruin the character. He just doesn't seem like a very "movie friendly" type of character. He'd probably end up looking like something out of An American werewolf. uhg. I would hate to see him end up being all cg also.
I really want to see Psylocke throw down in a BS version of the x-films. Before the franchise is ran into the ground beyond repair.
I don't want aliens or onslaught. I don't think that type of stuff would work in this world they've created on screen so far

Also in this real world style I'd assume it would be the people themselves that choose their names. I mean Patrick stewarts Prof X. doesnt seem like the type of guy to call someone "Storm" or "Pyro." Jean was one of his first students and she doesn't have a name. Therefor I believe he did not pick them.

Eternal Padawan
05-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Yeah, Mystique was definitely a more well rounded character (no jokes please...well, okay go ahead and make jokes) this time around. I liked her little conversation with Kurt when he asks why she doesn't just morph into uber-babe 24-7 and she says "because we shouldn't have to." That says alot about her character. :cool:

Eternal Padawan
05-15-2003, 02:21 PM
THE RECASTING ISSUE.

If certain people (Jackman, Stewart, McKellan, Marsden, etc) decide NOT to sign up for X3, should they be recast or written out of the story?

If you write them out of the story, it leaves the actor an opening to show up in a later film and not have it wreak havoc on continuity. Recasting lets you get more bang for the buck because you can spend less on an actor and more on a special effect.

What do you guys think?

James Boba Fettfield
05-15-2003, 02:23 PM
I can almost bet without Jackman, there would never be another X-Men movie.

icatch9
05-15-2003, 02:50 PM
I don't know why (with the exception of Halle Barry) any one of them wouldn't want to come back. It's not as if any of them are tearing up Hollywood in other roles (Kate and Leopold :().

Not as if any of them were doing much befor the first X Men either (Stewart was Capt. Picard, and Famke was in several annonamous "hot chick" roles). Type cast is one thing, Millions of dollars is another. Money talks as does fame. I think X3 will have plenty of returning characters, they may have smaller roles, but they'll be there.

2-1B
05-15-2003, 02:54 PM
Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine. :)
I can't accept anyone else in the role.

Since Mystique and her "sliding under the door" scene was metioned, why the hell did they feel the need to play that shot backwards in the trailer ? :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
05-15-2003, 03:22 PM
Halle Berry feels her character was "marginalized" in X2, so she probably won't be back. :( (Funny, I thought she had a much better role in this one than in the first one.) Ian McKlellan said that he would come back if the script and part are good and he likes the director, so chances are good. And Patrick Stewart has said he pretty much expects to come back.

Hugh Jackman. . . no one else could ever replace him. Period. And it wouldn't be X-Men without Wolvie. (Notice that most people who say they like X-Men have a very rudimentary knowledge, if any at all, of everything prior to Giant Size X-Men #1.)

I thought about this after my last post: not enough Kitty Pryde! She actually had her name in the commercial, so I was expecting a lot more of her. And she does nothing! Jeez, Colossus played a bigger part and he wasn't listed in that commercial. I guess it's now officially a tradition: each X-film will have exactly one mention of a girl walking through walls, and one pretty useless shot of her doing so.

Porcelina
05-15-2003, 03:51 PM
i don't know what halle berry is making such a fuss about, either... i thought she had a much better part in x2, more dynamics, character, etc.... she's probably just worried about being typecast as an action movie hero(ine) :rolleyes:

icatch9
05-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Hugh Jackman IS Wolverine. :)
I can't accept anyone else in the role.

Since Mystique and her "sliding under the door" scene was metioned, why the hell did they feel the need to play that shot backwards in the trailer ? :rolleyes:

I don't think that it's backwards. I thinks it's a tottaly differnt cut of the sceen. In the movie she flips off Striker as she's sliding under the door. You can't flip the bird on TV, so they had to use a different shot for the commercial.

2-1B
05-16-2003, 01:24 AM
That's definitely possible. In the movie she slides underneath the door and away, while the TV spot shows her slinking upward and forward from underneath the door.

Curious. :)

derek
05-16-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Porcelina
i don't know what halle berry is making such a fuss about, either... i thought she had a much better part in x2, more dynamics, character, etc.... she's probably just worried about being typecast as an action movie hero(ine) :rolleyes:

i'm only guessing, but i bet hallie berry's thought process goes like this: "i won an oscar.......i'm not going to be in any more kid movies...........unless the whole film is about me!:rolleyes: "

i bet the only reason she made X-men 2 is that she had a 2 picture contract.

Porcelina
05-16-2003, 11:10 AM
i bet the only reason she made X-men 2 is that she had a 2 picture contract.

that sounds about right :)

RooJay
05-17-2003, 12:36 AM

In comics (X-Men comics especially) it's quite common for people to come back from the dead. In fact, pretty much all of the X-Men characters have been considered dead at least once. It's quite ludicrous actually.

RooJay
05-17-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I finally saw the film and one of the things I thought didn't work on the logic-end of things was Jean's death. First off, we've already seen her stop stuff from inside the jet in this film, BIG stuff like a missile; so that whole "going outside to die" thing seemed forced. Secondly, what exactly is the point of having mutants like Iceman/Bobby Drake in the story at this point if he doesn't use his powers to... oh, I don't know, FREEZE THE LAKE?!? Findally, the whole thing felt too much like a straight ripoff of the end of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan and a more general begging for more films in this franchise.

I concurr with the sentiment that that missle had nowhere near the same level of force behind it as an entire lake full of water suddenly come crashing through a busted dam.
Also, Iceman has never had nearly the level of power it would take to freeze that lake in place in the comics - why would a younger, less practiced version have had that much power in the movie? In fact, early on in his history Iceman even had to rely on mechanical devices to help him control and focus his powers.

Though I'm not a huge reader of the comics, wasn't [Mystique] supposed to be Rogue's adoptive mother rather than biological?

That was supposedly the case when Rogue was first introduced, but it was later hinted that Mystique actually might have in fact been her biological mother. I'm pretty sure this was later revealed to be false anyway.

This was my primary concern coming out of the theater yesterday, and it's also been a concern I've felt for Spider-man over the Venom issue.

Though I am not a reader of the Ultimate Spider-Man book, they have recently, very successfully introduced that universe's version of Venom minus the more typical sci-fi elements. I'm assuming this is what'll be done with the Dark Phoenix saga when it makes it's way to movie screens. Honestly, it would be quite easy to do the story pretty faithfully without including the aliens and the space travel elements. I can even imagine them incorporating the Sentinels and Genosha (in the comics, when first introduced Genosha was an entire country where the subjugation and suppression of mutants is standard government policy) into the story and kill two (very cool) birds with one stone! I can also even see them maybe throwing in bits and pieces of the classic storyline 'Days of Future Past".

I believe they are mutants, just not naturally-occuring ones. This is what Magneto was trying to accomplish with all the world's leaders in the first X-men film.

They are not considered mutants according to Marvel's definition of the term.

JediTricks
05-17-2003, 02:32 AM
A missile is not as big as billions of gallons of water. Clearly she had to have all of her concentration to stop the water. She didn't even try though. She could have yelled "shut up" in the cockpit and tried, but instead just sauntered out and did her thing.

Originally posted by icatch9 Bobby Drake is not prepaired to use his powers. That's also a huge point to the whole story. How the younger mutants are just kids and don't understand how or what to do. We always expect our Super Heros to know exactly what to do to save the day. Well in this case the younger students aren't ready to save the world. Plus, even a full grown Iceman probally couldn't instantly freez that much flowing water. After all flowing water takes a very very very cold night to freeze. I might be willing to give you Bobby not being ready to do so, but again, he didn't try. Rogue clearly has a new understanding of her powers, Pyro too, so why not Iceman? And he doesn't have to freeze the whole thing, just a small wall around the jet. Look at the wall he put up between Stryker and Logan, that happened in less than 2 seconds and he didn't even use water.

Originally posted by icatch9 I don't think it's a rip off of WoK. The good of the many out weigh the good of the few is a ago old addage. Star Trek didn't invent that, it's been in stores for a long long time. I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about Spock's voice-over at the end of the film.

Originally posted by icatch9 Why wouldn't they want to have a ending that allows for more films? I mean these films make 100's of millions of dollars. I think I'd make a few more too for that box office return.
You can only milk a cinema franchise - especially a superhero one - so much before it goes sour, see Superman and Batman for proof. If it was just about BO, we'd already have Batman 5 and 6 by now.

Miller, I'm flattered. :D I think Halle's personality is also a little too meek for Storm. BTW, interesting ending, uses the "teamwork" aspect in a very strong way and brings that Rogue/Bobby plot arc to it's pinacle for the film rather than just letting it fizzle out.

Originally posted by Porcelina
i agree with most of your "top ten" lists, but you guys missed out an awesome part!!--mystique sliding under the door and giving the finger to stryker.... love it!!

on another note, as much as i think famke janssen is good, every time i see her, i remember how she STOLE robert downey jr. away from ally mcbeal (in the show) and then i want to kill her! to me, she will always be that person..... :mad: I didn't even notice her giving the finger! Aw man, and now my local theater has Matrix 2 instead.

Every time I see Famke Janssen, I think of her role on TNG and then I think "man has she aged". I felt very forgiving watching her as Jean Grey against the much younger-looking Cyclops. Just my POV, I know some folks here think she's holding up well for pushing 40.

EP, totally agree with you about Mystique's line about why she doesn't morph into something normal all the time. That spoke pretty well right there to the whole theme of the film IMO as well as her own views.

As for recasting, I think some of the lesser characters can be recast without trouble, Cyclops can be recast without much harm, and Jean's morph into the Phoenix can allow someone else to play her role if she comes back, but few other main lead characters would allow for such recastings, and writing someone out would feel hollow probably. Sad too because there are plenty of actresses who would be better at playing Storm than Halle, but I think the general audience wouldn't accept it.

Kitty was shown a few times in minor stuff, but I thought it was odd that she was only mentioned at the end when her actions are part of what changed the president's mind.

BTW, why did Storm have to whip up a big storm outside during the end scene? And why did the camera and other systems power down? In earlier scenes, Jean seems to be able to control electronics but none of the other characters shown at the end sequence could.

I think Halle was complaining on what she saw onscreen, but I feel like she has only herself to blame there. :D Yeah, I'm picking on her, she had the worst line of the first X-men film and totally sucked in Die Another Day as well, that's why. :evil:

In fact, early on in his history Iceman even had to rely on mechanical devices to help him control and focus his powers. And in early X-men history, Beast didn't have blue hair covering his whole body and Jean wasn't a doctor (thank the first film for that one ;)). Liberties can and have been taken with the powers in the film already. But I didn't really mean freeze the whole lake anyway, it just flowed that way when I typed it (I was on a roll). I was thinking of another ice wall like the one I mentioned above.

THE Slayer
05-17-2003, 03:36 AM
If jean could power down a computer,, I think professor X could. I guess it's an intuitive thing.

JediTricks
05-17-2003, 04:17 AM
Jean's showed TK powers (telekinetic - moving stuff with mind powers) as well as TP (telepathic - reading minds), but I don't remember Prof X being TK. I'm not saying you're wrong, but as I understand it, that's not the case.

Beast
05-17-2003, 04:27 AM
According to the marvel character powers guide, Professor X is only a TP not a TK. So he can't move things around with his mind. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
05-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Just seen this movie last night and i was very impressed. I liked it more than the first and hope a third (as long as its well written and not rushed) is somewhere in the future. Right now im not questioning why didnt they do this or that instead of what they did do but once i get the dvd im sure these questions will come to mind. Anybody else here feel that marvel may be making too many super hero movies though?

Eternal Padawan
05-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Remember when Magneto was turned into a baby and then aged back into a thirty year old? (It explained why a holocaust survivor was so spritely and buff). If they did that in the film, they could recast Mags with somebody younger. ;)

Exhaust Port
05-17-2003, 02:05 PM
I too saw it for the first time last night with the girlfriend. We were both very impressed.

She did bring up an interesting point though, all the pilots in the movie were women! Rogue, Mystique, Storm and the 2 F-16 pilots. How strange. I then explained that this was a fantasy movie. :D

THE Slayer
05-17-2003, 02:41 PM
I can buy into prof X not lifting tables etc.. But i think turning a tv off is a little different.. Maybe they just had bad interference due to Storm's storm. or maybe someone just hit the power button?

darthvyn
05-17-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
BTW, why did Storm have to whip up a big storm outside during the end scene? And why did the camera and other systems power down? In earlier scenes, Jean seems to be able to control electronics but none of the other characters shown at the end sequence could.

electrical storm, knocking out the power. two birds, one stone... :p

Tonysmo
05-18-2003, 04:26 AM
Just a quick translation as I've now seen the movie a few times..

Colossus: " I can help you " - Translation - " I want to be a bad -a** in this movie!!"
Wolverine: "Help them" - Translation - " sorry bud, you'll have to wait for X3!"

Somehow I don't think I'm going to tire of this movie anytime soon...

Eternal Padawan
05-18-2003, 08:34 AM
Having seen both X2 and Matrix2, I can safely say this was the cooler summer blockbuster.

Another translation:

Collosus: "I can help you." "I can't really help, but you know...I thought I'd make the offer..."

Logan: "Help them." " Hey you already did your metal changing schtick, shirtless boy, so get out of here while the box office draw does his thing, mmmkay?"

;)

Pendo
05-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Reading in the paper today, Halle Berry has said she isn't doing X-Men 3 because her character wasn't given enough to do in the first two movies.

I hope she changes her mind. But if she does go, I'd rather them write out her character, rather than re-cast her.

PENDO!

Porcelina
05-18-2003, 11:22 AM
i'd like storm to be re-cast with a better actor, just to spite silly halle........ :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-18-2003, 01:31 PM
Yeah, i watched X2 with some friends last night next door and i just love this movie. So much nerd shout outs, i love it all. I still get kinda worked up during that final scene, but that's another story. :crazed:

OK, so i guess i'm the only one who thinks that Halle Berry was good in these movies? I liked her in the role and sorta wished she was given more, but then again, what does she want, "X2- featuring the stylings of Halle Berry as Storm?"

I agree with Pendo here, just say she's somewhere else during the movie and maybe introduce some more X-Men. I would prolly wet myself if Colussus got some more screen time. My pal Geo does the best impression of Colussus from the old arcade game when he uses his special move. Any fellow nerd who's played it knows EXACTLY what i'm referring to. Ah, memories. :D

2-1B
05-18-2003, 04:25 PM
OK, so i guess i'm the only one who thinks that Halle Berry was good in these movies?

Nope, you're not the only one since I think she did a very fine job. :)

I liked her in the role and sorta wished she was given more, but then again, what does she want, "X2- featuring the stylings of Halle Berry as Storm?"

I can't argue with that, sure more Storm would be cool but frankly she was in X2 more than I expected because of the pre-release hype about how "she's barely in it." :rolleyes:

So while I loved Halle as Storm, I still think she's silly to be so offended by her lack of screentime.

I would prolly wet myself if Colussus got some more screen time.

Me too. :D Hell, Iceman got a full costume by the end of X2, so if they'll promote him then they can CERTAINLY raise Colossus to team level in between films. :)

But how would they dress him ? They can't have him in full leather costume because it would inhibit his gimmick from being shown . . . maybe they can just have him running around in leather pants with bare chest all day long ? :crazed:

Exhaust Port
05-18-2003, 05:16 PM
To be honest I don't know my Marvel very much. Is Pyro a real character in the universe. The only guy I know of that plays with fire is the one from the Fantastic 4. Help out a superhero newbie.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-18-2003, 05:22 PM
Exhaust, yeah, pyro is a real character. They got him right as well. He can't make fire, just manipulate it. That's why in the comics, he has a huge pack on his back so he has a source of fire. he's a pain in the a-- to kill in the arcade game too. :D

Beast
05-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Here's a picture of the good Dr. McCoy, should you have blinked and missed him in the theater. And no, I don't mean Bones. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
05-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Well, Toy Biz made the old figure of Colossus with that goofy red and yellow sleeveless shirt, so I guess anything's possible . . .

THE Slayer
05-18-2003, 11:42 PM
A shirtless colossus in leather pants would make many a fan girl happy. But regardless he could still wear the full outfit, I know they could find a way to show the whole transformation, or at least most of it, some way. I wonder if they'll have nightcrawler and Coloss be all buddy buddy in x3.

I also have to agree that I enjoyed x2 far more than matrix2.