PDA

View Full Version : Conversations with other "fans" in the toy aisles...

JEDIpartner
05-29-2002, 12:07 PM
I was just thinking about this as I was looking at the "Flying off the pegs" thread in the TOYS section.

I tend to be a pretty friendly guy and like to chat with people. I have, on a number of occasions, struck up a conversation with the other people perusing the STAR WARS product. The conversations have generally been nice and casual. HOWEVER... there have been a number of times I've started talking about figures or the lack of them in the area and the other person or people have just looked at me like I was a freak. I got a look once that screamed "God! Don't talk to me you big geek!" I couldn't believe it... I wanted to say "Hi... you're shopping for the same stuff, too... you big sweaty pile!"

Has this happened to anyone else?

billfremore
05-29-2002, 12:43 PM
I haven't had that kind of thing happen exactly but I understand what you're talking about.

I like chatting with people in the aisles too, especially if I can help them find what they're looking for.

Jonna
05-29-2002, 12:55 PM
If I see someone digging through the piles, I usually ask what figure they are looking for to be helpfull. I actually met two other form posters on the same day in different stores by doing this.

jjreason
05-29-2002, 01:07 PM
I very often get the "scary geek" look when I strike up a conversation about SW in the aisle. Mind you, I often take a quick peek when Im at work (police officer) which could lead to some of these looks! "Son, put down that Amidala with mole or you're under arrest!" Not quite.

pthfnder89
05-29-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr

I tend to be a pretty friendly guy and like to chat with people. I have, on a number of occasions, struck up a conversation with the other people perusing the STAR WARS product. The conversations have generally been nice and casual. HOWEVER... there have been a number of times I've started talking about figures or the lack of them in the area and the other person or people have just looked at me like I was a freak. I got a look once that screamed "God! Don't talk to me you big geek!" I couldn't believe it... I wanted to say "Hi... you're shopping for the same stuff, too... you big sweaty pile!"

Has this happened to anyone else?

Not exactly the same. But I also have struck up conversations with fellow customers in the SW aisle and some of them have been kind of funny. Most of the time its because the person I'm talking to will recite his "knowledge" of what is rare, and what isn't, and what figures Hasbro is coming out with next.

It's funny because 9 times out of 10 the stuff he tells me is just bogu rumours that he found on the internet and assumed were true, and which I already know from my own scouring, SirStevesGuide, and of course the forums, are incorrect. But since the people are usually nice and don't mean any harm I either politely correct their information or I simply nod and go along with it. Either way, it can be a fun way to meet other people. :)

QLD
05-29-2002, 01:30 PM
I don't usually see too many people, as I usually look at 2 in the morning at Wal-Mart. But when I do strike up conversation, I usually regret it. I always run into the real scary people. My friend however, he always meets the cool ones. Go figure.

SaeseeTiin
05-29-2002, 01:51 PM
I often try to talk to the people in the Star Wars areas. Most usually like to talk, with some giving some interesting information or being good to talk to. There are occassionly some who givce me looks like JediPartner described, although that isn't a bad thing as usually it means they move away so I get to the front of the star wars area!
But quite recently I've had two really strange experiences, let me tell you about them:
First I was checking out the AOTC figures at a shop the day after they were released, and there was an old man there of around 60 or so looking at the figures. He was actually a Star Wars figure fan! I've never met a star wars collecter anywhere near that age until then!
Secondly, a few weeks ago I was looking in the SciFi area of my local book store at th star wars and I saw this forty-odd man looking around the same area. I struck up a conversation and found out he was a Trekkie (very bad taste I must say!). Anyway, then he starting shaking my hand and talked for two or three minutes, continually shaking my hand. I couldn't get away! I'm sure I could smell alcohol on his breath :rolleyes:
Anyone else had experiences like this?

STiin

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Oh, uh sorry Saesee. I hope my palms weren't too sweaty. :D

I like talking with people in the SW aisle. Many times I've gotten good tips on stuff at other stores or where stuff has been hidden in that store or who are the good employees to talk to, etc.

I can kind of tell when someone's not in the mood, though. Mainly they're the scalpers who just want to find crap and are not interested in what you have to say unless you're helping them out.

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 03:45 PM
I met one guy in the Star Wars aisle who was a fan as a kid but never got back into it until he saw the last Ep2 trailer. He was looking through the pegs and talking about how much he used to love the toys and stuff. Then I just casually mentioned that Anakin Hangar Duel had the removable arm, not even really thinking about it, (this was a week before the movie was released) and he looked at me like I had just ripped his heart out with my bare hands. Oops, my bad!:)

I have met others, but the only real conversations we strike up is to talk about what figures we are looking for. I asked a guy in the TRU aisle about Count Dooku and he reached in the back of the display and pulled out the last one left and gave it to me, which I promptly handed to my brother. I think collectors helping each other out is what makes this hobby great.

Another nice extra to being the casual, non-fanatical fan, while my brother and I were waiting in line for the Ep2 midnight showing, two guys and their girlfriends got in line behind us. The guys had boxed lightsabers with them and proceeded to rip them out of the box and have a lightsaber duel. Their girlfriends were so embarrassed by this that they would tell people they knew that they were there with my brother and I and they didn't know the two geeks in the corner dueling it out. Good thing my brother's wife wasn't there.:)

THE Slayer
05-29-2002, 03:46 PM
Not quite like that Saesee, but close. When clones came out I taked with a guy pushing his mid fifties. He said he had been out of collecting for a long long time, which I didn't buy-and not because the sole figure he purchased was count Dooku-and anyways this was the first figure he'd bought in long time. And I also had another collector try and convert me to a sirsteve rival site..rival might not be the most pc word but the points the same. I actuall thought his plug was pretty funny, I did have the courtesy to wait until he left to start laughing.

Dooku Fett
05-29-2002, 04:22 PM
Yeah I've talked to a few people at the stores. Sometimes I would start the conversation and sometimes the other person. A friend of mine had a Yoda handed to him after talking with a person with three of them in his hand. So talking to people sometimes pays off ;)

Brave Sir Robin
05-29-2002, 04:26 PM
I was talking to some cute Star Wars fangirls the other day in Wal-Mart (they do exsist!!!) and that was pretty cool. Most of the time adults give me weird looks when I'm hunting through the action figure bins in the Goodwill. It sucks, I'm 15, which is right at the age when you're too old to be playing with toys but not old enough to be thought of as one of those old, fat, action figure collector geeks.

Dooku Fett
05-29-2002, 04:32 PM
Hey I'm 18 and collect Star Wars figures! I really don't care how people look at me. If they look at you funny just say "You got a problem, buddy?" ;)
Or you could follow them somewhere and when they look at something look at THEM strange. :)

billfremore
05-29-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
It sucks, I'm 15, which is right at the age when you're too old to be playing with toys but not old enough to be thought of as one of those old, fat, action figure collector geeks.

Any other old, fat action figure collector geeks offended by this? ;)
Just wait Robin, you too will know the joys of being old and fat too ;) :D

Jonna
05-29-2002, 04:37 PM
If someone starts to lear at you, just pick up one of the figures and begin to talk to it in baby talk. They will go away very quickly.

I never really had any problems, but then again when I am digging through figures I am not paying attention to passers by.

Jonna
05-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by billfremore

Any other old, fat action figure collector geeks offended by this? ;)
Just wait Robin, you too will know the joys of being old and fat too ;) :D

How fat are we talking???:D :crazed:

SaeseeTiin
05-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Bigbarada, I did that to a collector also a few days before episode 2 came out, when I mentioned the final fight Jango figure had a removable head not thinking that the collector didn't read spoilers...
I quickly made my exit :crazed:

STiin

billfremore
05-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Jonna

How fat are we talking???:D :crazed:

I'm talking Jabba the Hutt fat ;) :P :D

DarthBrandon
05-29-2002, 04:44 PM
Most of my chats are with fellow collectors and they are usually good for the most part, with the wives trying to break up the conversations, cause we sound like big kids. Although there was this time a fellow collector was very rude, and almost pushed my little fellow out of the way to get at them figures on the pegs. I set him straight in a very mature manner, about almost trampling over my son to get at toys. He just looked at me like I had four heads, and walked away with his nose in the air. I've seen him again, and he's asked for help, and I just tell him don't know what to tell ya buddy. I mean common would you help a rude fellow who had no regard for children, that doesn't even remember you or apologize in the begining. Anyhu for the most part I've had wonderful conversations with other collectors, that make us all feel like big kids again.

Dooku Fett
05-29-2002, 06:14 PM
I never really had any problems, but then again when I am digging through figures I am not paying attention to passers by.
Same with me.

Jargo
05-29-2002, 07:05 PM
I had a strange experience on the 23rd of April. I went with my partner to the local TRU and started to load a cart with figures as i planned on buying a ton and didn't have enough arms or the energy to carry them. This is the day that there were absolutely tons of figures out and boxes stacked high everywhere. Anyways, I had four geonosian warriors and four royal guards in my cart leaving craploads on the pegs for others even though i wanted more. And I'm talking to this guy and his weirdy beardy friend who looked a little psychotic to be honest. We were talking about the lack of certain figures on the pegs like Dooku and wotnot and he was fine. Then that night I went as usual to UK collector site called the private universe and found an article by him reporting what he'd found locally and going on about how "there was a guy in there loadeing a cart with figure after after figure" like I was taking everything the store had or something. I actually had nineteen figures in my cart including those I mentioned above. plus a couple of vehicles and the Reek.
I just couldn't believe how this guy had been nice as pie and then went and moaned about my purchases online! What a jerk.
My local TRU's don't have an aisle for star wars, they just have a small display near the doors. Mostly it's always deserted when i visit. On weekends there's tons of kids buying the cool figures I hear people complain that they can't find. I mean, c'mon - kids buying star wars toys under our very noses? What gives with those pint sized scalpers? Sheesh!!!!!! :crazed:

THE Slayer
05-30-2002, 03:12 PM
On the flip side of "odd confrontations" I was talking to this kid and his mom, the 23rd, and I helped him find some cool figs,, he was pre-teem I'm assuming. He like OPD ani cause it was "old school" I'm sorry but I had to laugh when a 12yrold uses the term "old school"

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Maybe if we're lucky more kids will fall for this "old school" thing and buy up all the Anakin OPDs, I'm tired of seeing them clog the pegs.

Jonna
05-30-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by THE Slayer
On the flip side of "odd confrontations" I was talking to this kid and his mom, the 23rd, and I helped him find some cool figs,, he was pre-teem I'm assuming. He like OPD ani cause it was "old school" I'm sorry but I had to laugh when a 12yrold uses the term "old school"

Hell, I find it ridiculous when people I know use it to refer to things from two or three years ago. Like when people say "Back in the day" and they are refering to last summer.:D

Croaker
05-30-2002, 03:22 PM
Hey emperor Jargo.
i think that I ran into that collector guy with the bearded friend at TRU. They said that they had been around on the 23 but didn't buy anything.
The description sounds about right.

I like helping kids find stuff that they are looking for. I've usually gone through every peg looking for figs so I know what there.
I helped some kids ask a stock person to get some more lightsabres that they wanted from the back the other day.

I remember one time in the Ep 1 madness where a scalper offered to pay me $30 for the Darth Maul in my hand and I told him no.
then a little kid came by with his mother. he was looking for a DM and couldn't find one. He was rather disappointed. So I gave him the one I had.
It was a great moment - to make that kid happy and to see the look on the scalper's face.

InsaneJediGirl
05-30-2002, 03:26 PM
I normally talk to myself in the SW isle,does that count??:D :D

I usually get this "Your a girl,and buying Action figures?Shouldnt you be getting finger nail polish?!?"Other than those "types" I havent found fans in my area.Helped a little 4 year old get a HD Anakin one day..but I dont think he was a "collector";)

icatch9
05-30-2002, 03:43 PM
I too faced the problem when I was a teenager of stange looks. It even worse trying to explain it to some cute chick you see at WM when you have a hand full of figures. I never much cared, but it still gets to me from time to time. It hasnt' gotten any easier now that I'm in my mid twenties. Funny looks still come, and they always will.

I've been at this collecting business since I was born it seems. Never the less, I am more afraid to talk to people in the action figure isles than I would be at a dingy rest stop. I don't know, I've never had a bad encounter, but I've never had a good one either. From time to time someone will say something, but I just play dumb and say something like "Yea I just lik the movie and think they are cool." Most people who are simi collectors try and drop some knowldge on me, and I just go along with them. I rarely share what I know with them becasue I fell they may be in it for the money. If someone said to me I love the way that Saesee Tiin guy looks then I may be more inclined. But when someone talks rare with me, then that means they are in it for the $$$, and I'm not shareing anything with that type of person.

Well, I'd talk to you guys if I ran into you.

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
It sucks, I'm 15, which is right at the age when you're too old to be playing with toys but not old enough to be thought of as one of those old, fat, action figure collector geeks.

Hey man, you're never too old to play with the figures! :D I'm 15 also (16 in Dec) and it the fun never ends when you're coming up with an adventure with lots of action! drama! and your own mouth-made special effects. :cool:

I had a really weird encounter with a collector (I guess) during the SOTE era (when I was like 8 or 9) and I was at Wal-Mart in the SW section when I overheard this guy (who looked like he was in his 20's) talking to his wife/girlfriend (dunno what she was, anyways) and he was holding the Boushh Leia figure and was saying that it wasn't Leia, so I HAD to go over and explain to him that it was Leia and that she was in disguise like in ROTJ and got him to realize it, that was quite cool IMO. :D

Unfortunately though there aren't alot of collectors around here when you're just browsing, only other time I've talked to collectors was when I was talking to a kid in a WM aisle (around the same SOTE time) and Midnight Madness for E1 when a guy asked me if I needed Gasgano.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 03:47 AM
Not an encounter in a toy aisle but walking out of the theater after the midnight showing of AOTC: Just outside the door there was a middle-aged man talking about the movie (I recognized him from when I saw Ep1 here) and trying to impress all his friends with his knowledge of what will happen in Ep3. I caught snippets of "cloned Darth Maul," "Darth Bane,""Sith Council" and knew exactly where this guy was getting his information. So I just kept on walking. Looks like SuperShadow strikes again!:)

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 10:21 AM
I was at Target one day and a couple of those dysmorphic gym queens who work out at the Bally's I go to saw me.

The one who reminds me of the "human cow" was like, "Hi, Dale..." and he and the twink he was with just snickered and looked back at me as they passed.

Who cares... at least I don't look like the human cow or a tall skinny man-girl!

stormie
05-31-2002, 12:56 PM
I usually don't encounter anyone in the toy aisles, and if I do, I usually don't disturb them...since I really wouldn't want to be disturbed either. However, a couple times I have tried to be helpful to people looking through the SW pegs, acting as if they're looking for something in particular. I guess the funniest example of this was back at the tail end of the POTJ series, when the pegs were stocked full of Ketwols and Bespin Guards. After another fruitless trip to the local TRU, I passed the Star Wars pegs on my way out of the store, and saw a young woman eagerly looking through the pegs. I assumed she was a collector and was searching for something specific. In my attempt to be helpful, and also as a way of starting up a conversation about our recent findings or lack thereof, I chirped "Nothing new here either." She turned around with a look of confusion, pointed to the remaining Ep. I and POTJ figures, and gently stated "These are all the new ones." Oops! Without getting into too big a discussion regarding the different series and figure waves, I hastily beat a retreat with a concluding "Oh, okay." :D

pthfnder89
06-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Not an encounter in a toy aisle but walking out of the theater after the midnight showing of AOTC: Just outside the door there was a middle-aged man talking about the movie (I recognized him from when I saw Ep1 here) and trying to impress all his friends with his knowledge of what will happen in Ep3. I caught snippets of "cloned Darth Maul," "Darth Bane,""Sith Council" and knew exactly where this guy was getting his information. So I just kept on walking. Looks like SuperShadow strikes again!:)

Lol, yeah I love hearing guys who claim to be experts spouting out all these Internet rumours to try and impress friends and even strangers. I heard a guy doing the same thing BB, waiting in line for tickets on the 15th. He cliamed to know quite a few "definite" details about what would happen in Ep3, including exactly how Luke and Leia are smuggled away and how the Falcon is going to play a big role in it. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't have bothered me of he was just speculating but like most of these type people, they're trying to pass this stuff off as FACT. So after a while I asked him how he found this stuff out and he claimed that a friend had seen a bunch of story boards and pieces of script for the next movie.

I casually mentioned that that was pretty interesting considering Lucas hadn't even STARTED to write the script for it yet, just as he didn't begin the AOTC script until the day after TPM opened. Lol, he tried to argue about that for a minute and I named a number of different p[laces he could find direct quotes from Lucas on when he starts writing things and he basically just wondered off looking upset that I had driven away all his "fans" :D

steve3p0
06-02-2002, 12:15 AM
i wish i could converse with other collectors ! good or bad , just some kind of contact to reassure me that there's more than just me collecting figures in my city. i spoke with several collectors on 4/23, but have not encountered a single SW collector before or since.

THE Slayer
06-02-2002, 01:31 AM
Jedipatnr.. that last post of yours was pretty fun, (i would quote it but I tend to mess that up.) it had a bitter taste to it to boot :)

I usually try and START conversations but a lot of people diggin through a bin of figs tend to not want to talk, I don't know why, but they may say like, "yeah I collect" or "just looking" then meander away... Come on I can't be that bad.. :(

I just wish fans would talk more, to many introverts in my area.

bigbarada
06-02-2002, 02:22 PM
pthfinder89, while I was still in the Army I remember one guy telling me, after Ep1 was released, that GL stated that he would only do one more movie and that he was going to renumber ANH as Ep3, ESB as Ep4 and so on. I tried to argue with him; but there were others listening in and so he became instantly defensive at being called out in front of all the "Privates." He was a Staff Sergeant and I was a mere Buck Sergeant, so he became even more defensive when I pushed the issue, until eventually he just began to pull rank and that's when I decided to back out. Using your rank in the military to win an argument on Star Wars. Very mature.:stupid:

Jedi Juice
06-03-2002, 02:16 AM
The other day at TRU there was another collector searching for new figs but we couldn't find any. He told me where he found the Bespin Wave and I told him where I found Orn Free Taa and the others. All in all it was a good deal. I did get an extra Dooku however:)

figrin bran
06-03-2002, 02:33 AM
i met a fair number of collectors back in '99, some of whom i suspect may be among the l.a. based regulars on this forum, but i don't see too many of them any longer. and people seem less talkative on my saga figure hunts.

JEDIpartner
06-03-2002, 09:07 AM
I met a guy in his late teens with his mom when I was at Super K yesterday. They were griping about the fact that this idiotic Super K had their figures in a gigantic dump bin and then, worse yet, PLACED ON SHELVES!!! They weren't on pegs ANYWHERE. It was infuriating trying to find anything on those shelves. I asked the mother which figures he was looking for. She said he was looking for Count Dooku and Yoda as well as an HD Anakin. I directed them to the Wal*Mart in a nearby town as JediDrew has had much luck there. I also told them about SSG and KEBco. They were really happy to have run into me. They were pretty cool as well. Now THOSE are the type of people I like to encounter.