PDA

View Full Version : Clone Trooper markings / rank / color

JonoFett
04-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Just visited episode-X.com where 22 new images were posted from the German SW magazine. One photo showed the clonetroopers standing in an orderly queue which converges toward a central circular supply point where each collect their helmet. On the right side of the photo a clonetrooper is seen with a blue colouration on both arms. There is also a helmeted red clonetrooper conversing with 2 others, as well as one with a yellow markings waiting his turn to collect his helmet.

Interesting.:sur:

Beast
04-15-2002, 02:38 PM
Yeah, LTBasker pointed out a blue one to me a while back from one of the Kamino pictures that came out a while ago. He also noticed that the blue ones don't have a fin on their helmets. So, our theroy is that they might be pilots since they wouldn't need a transmitter on their helmets, as they would be piloting a ship that has one built in. So far they are following the same color pattern as the battle droids, other then the fact there is no green units in the Battle Droid armys that we know of.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
04-15-2002, 02:42 PM
That is interesting how striking the use of rank insignia from one film overlaps with that of another.

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Since we haven't seen Green with a helmet on and there was only 1 green with the field troopers (2 blues in those pictures, 1 walking to get their helmet and another talking with it's helmet on to two troopers) but he didn't have his helmet on then blue or green might be in the medic units. Blue might be pilots though, that would make a little sense in more of them being with the troopers in the pictures rather than just one green who probably could be a single squad medic while there are two pilots, and on the gunship there are two canopy pieces. Maybe it's one Gunship squad?

Beast
04-15-2002, 03:01 PM
Having green be field medics makes more sense to me Basker. That's why we didn't see any Battle Droid's with green colorings, they arn't flesh and blood, so they have no need for a medical caste. Of course green could end up being either a gunner, or a general. But, until we know for sure, I am gonna go with the following:

White: Basic Troops
Red: Ranking Officer/Specilized Trooper
Yellow: Commander
Blue: Pilot
Green: Field Medic

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
04-15-2002, 03:26 PM
I don't see any evidence of green in any pics so far. I've seen a yellow marking turned green by the orange glow of the sunset lighting on the Coruscant staging platform. So far Red, blue and yellow have been shown as true color differences which bodes well for toy collectors i guess :) but other than that i haven't seen green.

It would be logical for the medic to have green but the clonetroopers medic is a droid isn't it? in the bowels of the gunships or the AT-TE's or whatever. And as said the colors match the rankings of the battle droids. Which is odd considering they're on the opposite side.... but not. The clones were brought about by Sifo Dyas who has a hand in the battle droid armies too. Obviously this is a clue we were supposed to pick up on. The antagonist who is totally arrogant always leaves clues to their identity lying around as a nod to their pursuer that they are not scared to be discovered and far too clever to be caught... Least ways that's how it works in the Sherlock Holmes novels. This Sifo Dyas thing smacks of Professor Moriarty to me. Obi-Wan being the detective in this movie. But back to the clones. I dount we'll see any green for real now. I thnk the green people saw is just the yellow in funny lighting conditions. :)

jawaboy
04-15-2002, 03:27 PM
Aww...color coded clones...it's like the Teletubbies on crack!

Jargo
04-15-2002, 03:29 PM
I thought the teletubbies were on crack..... :D

Beast
04-15-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I don't see any evidence of green in any pics so far. I've seen a yellow marking turned green by the orange glow of the sunset lighting on the Coruscant staging platform. So far Red, blue and yellow have been shown as true color differences which bodes well for toy collectors i guess :) but other than that i haven't seen green. It would be logical for the medic to have green but the clonetroopers medic is a droid isn't it? in the bowels of the gunships or the AT-TE's or whatever. I thnk the green people saw is just the yellow in funny lighting conditions. :)
Yeah the medic droid is located in the gunship, because it starts to work on Anakin's lost limb as they take off from Geonosis. There may be one in the AT-TE as well, I don't know about that. But I assume that they are pretty much hardwired into the ship, or at the very least wouldn't be all that mobile during a fire fight. So I assume they are going to program/train some of the CloneTroopers as field medics, and thats where the green would come in. Here is a a few images of the clones in line to get their helmets on Kamino. You can see the green one quite easily, and it's definatly not a trick of the light, cause the yellow one isn't being affected by the light. Also I added an image of the blue one from another pic, sorry about the bad picture..the picture he is from isn't the best quality. As you can see he doesn't have a fin on his helmet. Thanks to LTBasker for digging up the images. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

BanthaPoodoo
04-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Heres a zoom of a blue trooper.

JonoFett
04-15-2002, 04:25 PM
What would be the point of clone troopers as field medics, it would be economically unviable to produce a battery of clones just to tend to battle-stricken clones? If clone troopers become casualties of war, the cheapest and most logical option would be to create a new batch. After all these are human beings genetically created to be completely subserviant to anybody. To the Republic, they are seen only in the context in which they were designed for: to fight on their behalf.

Jargo
04-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Well apologies from me for the crap quality but there does appear to be a green variation on the armour after all. I checked through my battery of pictures and came up with the four here.
So maybe there isn't a medic clone but he may just be a gunner as mentioned before.
Red - Commander
Yellow - Sergeant/Lieutenent
Blue - Pilot
Green - Gunner/Artilleryman

Who knows, who cares as long as they do the do and Hasbro make a decent figure of each :)

LTBasker
04-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Well actually while your new batch of troopers is being made on Kamino, mine would be getting treated and could go right back to the battle as the new troopers would probably be also un-trained and don't they also only grow twice as fast as humans? Which would mean they wouldn't be adults until a year or so later.

Wolfwood319
04-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Maybe a clone trooper 2-pack, one blue and one green. Or, if blue is for pilots, maybe one will be a pack in with the Gunship.

Not to change the subject, but did anyone see that picture of Obi-Wan knockin' back one in the bar? I thought that was pretty funny. If he's on duty, should he really be drinking?

Beast
04-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by JonoFett
What would be the point of clone troopers as field medics, it would be economically unviable to produce a battery of clones just to tend to battle-stricken clones? If clone troopers become casualties of war, the cheapest and most logical option would be to create a new batch. After all these are human beings genetically created to be completely subserviant to anybody. To the Republic, they are seen only in the context in which they were designed for: to fight on their behalf.
The point is to win the battle at all costs, even if they have to amputate a CloneTroopers arm and send them back in the field again. Plus a new batch of clones isn't gonna make a difference when it takes 10 years to grow them to combat readyness. We know there is medic droids on the AT-TE, so you have to assume they are also going to have field medics to keep the CloneTroopers going. To fight until they are totally destroyed. And nice to see you agree with us finally about the Green CloneTroopers, Jargo. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JonoFett
04-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Oh, man...what a lame theory.

Beast
04-15-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by JonoFett
Oh, man...what a lame theory.
What is so lame about it? They are flesh and blood, if they get slight injuries they arn't going to write off a clone that took 10 years to produce cause none of the clones have enough medical skill to apply some bactine. Not to mention in a rescue mission type of situation, when there might be wounded they would be needed to render medical assistance in the field. If there was no need for field medical treatment, then why take up valuable troop space with a Medical Droid in the Gunships? :rolleyes:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Ovori
04-15-2002, 06:53 PM
The colours represent the sqaud leaders.

Red, land forces.
Yellow, air forces.
Blue, walker forces.
Green, Starship forces.

Thats my opinion...

I don't think GL will be using the same colour codes as the battle droids, nor do I think he'll be stupid enough to copy Startreks colours codes... Now that would be lame...

As for the medic, they'll have droids for that...

jawaboy
04-15-2002, 08:25 PM
It is more economically sensible to treat a wounded clone than to grow one over a 10 year period. What are they supposed to do at the end of the war with all of the wounded soldiers? Leave them there to die? No, they need them for other campaigns. And so enters the HMO...

LTBasker
04-16-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Darth Ovori
I don't think GL will be using the same colour codes as the battle droids, nor do I think he'll be stupid enough to copy Startreks colours codes... Now that would be lame...

Actually he already did with the Battle Droids. He copied the original series if you think about it, or he probably just drew inspiration from it. :cool:

Jargo
04-16-2002, 07:18 AM
Clonetroopers are impervious to harm in their armour. You'd have to step on one to even come close to damaging him. A bit like a tenacious cockroach really. All the official sources say the armour is designed so much better than the stormtrooper armour. It's like a complete defense screen that is virtually impossible to destroy. There'd be no need of medics in the field with no casualties. From the movie clips we've seen the clonetroopers don't appear to take one single casualty while the droid armies seem to get wasted really easily. The medic droid seems to be more for the injured Jedi than anything else.

Star trek inspiration? Why not. GL takes his inspiration from everywhere and we all grew up knowing that if we ever got to be a starfleet officer we'd better hope to god we never got to wear the red shirt......... :crazed:

gibbyhayes
04-16-2002, 12:31 PM
Maybe they're MOOD Clones. The red ones are angry, the green ones are greedy, the blue ones are sad and the yellow ones have to pee...

RooJay
04-16-2002, 06:58 PM
ACTION FIGURE GOLD!

That is all.

Locin
04-17-2002, 02:57 AM
Around Christmas, they are only red and green. Easter, pink and aqua. Some are even peanuts and almonds.

pthfnder89
04-17-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by jawaboy
It is more economically sensible to treat a wounded clone than to grow one over a 10 year period. What are they supposed to do at the end of the war with all of the wounded soldiers? Leave them there to die? No, they need them for other campaigns. And so enters the HMO...

Exactly. This is supported somewhere official but damn, for the life of me I can't remember where. But the quote I remember was basically this:

"Clones are very precious. Each clone represents a large amount of resources and money. Wounded clones are retrieved from the field and tended to where possible"

If anyone else remembers reading this and can tell me where its from I'd appreciate it. It's driving me nuts!:(

JonoFett
04-17-2002, 09:14 PM
If these uniforms are as protective and technologically advanced as many have been stating, then why would they require medical intervention for an injury in the first instance.
;) :rolleyes:

The imperviousness of this armour to the weapons of modern/primitive warfare cuts little ice with me: just look at what those furry inhabitants of Endor did to those supposedly superior creations. Explanations?:rolleyes: :confused:

JonoFett
04-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Clonetroopers are impervious to harm in their armour. You'd have to step on one to even come close to damaging him. A bit like a tenacious cockroach really. All the official sources say the armour is designed so much better than the stormtrooper armour. It's like a complete defense screen that is virtually impossible to destroy. There'd be no need of medics in the field with no casualties. From the movie clips we've seen the clonetroopers don't appear to take one single casualty while the droid armies seem to get wasted really easily. The medic droid seems to be more for the injured Jedi than anything else.

My point exactly. The Kaminoans being such intellectual organisms would never undertake the wholesale creation of a clone batch designed for combat purposes without ensuring their customers' investment, which would no doubt be a sizeable sum, was well protected from whatever harm they would ultimately face.:)

jawaboy
04-17-2002, 09:50 PM
If you think a clonetrooper uniform is impervious to harm and they don't need medics, let me throw this one up for you. A clonetroopers uniform is a lot like a hamster ball. Sure you can't squirt hot liquids or burning acids on the hamster, or even shoot the hamster if it was a bulletproof ball. But I bet, oh, I just bet if I were to kick that dang ball that hamster would sustain life threatening injuries. And kids, that's why you need medics. Hamster balls.

LTBasker
04-17-2002, 10:34 PM
Very true, Jawaboy. The clones are made from humanoid DNA and so far Jango Fett seems to be a pretty normal humanoid kinda like us. So even if something didn't penetrate the armor, what about the under suit? Not too mention the armor couldn't really stop limbs from getting broken.

JonoFett
04-18-2002, 02:00 AM
I'm fully conversant with the biology of cloning, but hey this is Star Wars, where things are not as they seem. Here's an idea: what if the female ova donor (possibly Kaminoan in origin) had possessed health rejuvinating properties in her genetic composition. Lets face it, these clones have accelerated growth potential so what's precluding accelerated healing capabilities too.

Jargo
04-18-2002, 08:15 AM
okay the simple explanatin is this: the inner body suit is much like an earth astronaaughts in that it serves as thermal regulator, tolet and nutrient provider. i.e. the liquid waste from a clone is recycled and refed to him as purified liquid via tube. The outer suit s hard as a nut and covers ninety five percent of total body mass. The armout is impervious to laser fire, gasiuos emissions, acids and can take the force of an explosion without leeting shrapnel penetrate. What it can't do is compensate for the dunderheaded bozo clone inside who trips over Yoda and breaks his ankle in the process.....

The official site has got some better information. i just made that up because it seemed close enough and I can't be arsed to go looking through the OS databank. :)

jawaboy
04-18-2002, 08:25 AM
They wouldn't get superpowers through an egg donor because that's all it is, an egg with no DNA. It has no genetic properties. All the DNA comes from Jango, which is why it is called a clone.

jawaboy
04-18-2002, 08:26 AM
hmm jargo, and I thought my hamster ball explanation was simple...at least we're on the same page though...

JonoFett
04-18-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by jawaboy
They wouldn't get superpowers through an egg donor because that's all it is, an egg with no DNA. It has no genetic properties. All the DNA comes from Jango, which is why it is called a clone. You are forgetting that during DNA transfer, mitochondrial DNA from the donor egg often remains, so what I said was true, from a certain point of view.:D ;) I had to write that. Sorry!:D But the mDNA part is correct, and this is why (in reality) mDNA is associated with premature ageing.

LTBasker
04-18-2002, 02:47 PM
This is just off of my head but I'm fairly sure countless female Kaminonians (whatever) wouldn't have been impregnated with the clones. I'm quite sure to do this they would've used artificial wombs and so therefore the only DNA in there would be Jango's. Hence why Taun We's figure has a "cloning" unit that's not in her body. ;)

JonoFett
04-18-2002, 03:07 PM
Impregnation with fertilised ova into an organism would not have been the method chosen because they have more than likely pioneered a technique that requires no involvement from a female host to carry any child clone to full term in utero. Moreover, productivity would be restricted by in utero implantation of oocytes. Instead, the embryos would be grown in vitro for the duration of a specified period (more likely a much shorter time than normal human gestation of 9 months), then transferred to another growth medium once a clone has reached foetal development stage. The normal fluid environment of amnion would no doubt be substituted by a similar nutrient substance with additional agents added, that might include growth promoters, antibodies, etc.

It's mere speculation at this stage of course.

JEDIpartner
05-29-2002, 01:05 PM
"It is indeed an indication of rank. Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants."
-Mme Jocasta Nu @ www.starwars.com

2-1B
05-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Did we see any LTs on Geonosis? I only caught one on Kamino . . .

Beast
05-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Thank you Madame Jocasta Nu, and JEDIpartnr for finally revealing the much asked question. I guess that blows a hole in the whole idea that color was the same as Battle Droid colors. Cool, now where is Hasbro with our yellow commander, blue lieutenant, and green sergeant clones. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
05-29-2002, 01:18 PM
You must be joking. This isn't right, IT CAN'T BE!!! How could this be!!!????

- StarWars.com's Jedi Council have ACTUALLY answered a question?!?!? :D

PENDO!

Beast
05-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
You must be joking. This isn't right, IT CAN'T BE!!! How could this be!!!????
- StarWars.com's Jedi Council have ACTUALLY answered a question?!?!? :D
PENDO!
I sense somthing, a sarcasm I've not felt sense... :D

Oh Caeser, I didn't see any during the fight. But there is alot going on in the film, and the lieutenants and sergeants could have been only on the Republic Cruisers.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
05-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Oh Caeser, I didn't see any during the fight. But there is alot going on in the film, and the lieutenants and sergeants could have been only on the Republic

Crap, what kind of army is this? Since when do seargents sit in the vehicles instead of battling it out with the grunts? They're the real workhorses, not those lazy commanders and captains.

BTW, isn't a captain a higher rank than commander? I don't think they have the commander rank in the US military, but in ST commander is just under captain.

Laserbrain
05-29-2002, 04:01 PM
Yeah, it's kinda confusing. Are they going by Naval rank or Army rank? Since they have Sergeants and not Petty Officers I'll assume that "Commander" is short for Division Commander. A privilege held by a Major in the US Army, if I mistake not...

At least now I know what colors of paint I have to buy for my troops!

DeadEye
05-29-2002, 04:34 PM
Division? Ha! Majors don't command anything--they are battalion executive officers or members of staff.

"Commander" in the army can refer to a company commander--which is a captain--or a battalion commander, which is a lieutenant colonel.

And in the Navy and Star Trek, a Captain is the same as an Army colonel. A commander is the same as a lieutenant colonel.

Laserbrain
05-29-2002, 05:49 PM
So it's eastablished that yellow is higher than red. Adapted from info in the WEG Imp Sourcebook...

Green Level Squad Command
A squad of unmarked (white) armored troopers which has 8-11 clones and is lead by a Segeant.

Blue Level Platoon Command
Four squads commanded by a lieutenant.

Red Level Company Command
Four platoons commanded by a captain.

Yellow Level Command
Either a battlion of four Companies if the Commander rank is equal to a combat major, or a Regiment of four battlions commanded by a Lt. colonel. Given that the Commanders have four pips on their left breast, a yet unseen rank of "two-pip Commander" may be either staff or in command of a battlion. The same may apply to Red Level.

At any rate basied on real world military, this gives some idea as to the combat organization of Clonetroopers and their illigitimate, illiaiming, illiminded offspring, Stormtroopers.

jawaboy
05-29-2002, 07:08 PM
DeadEye is right, Majors don't command anything. Lt. Col's do though.

DeadEye
05-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Of course I'm right, Jawaboy. I'm always right.:happy:

Darth_Stevious
05-29-2002, 09:52 PM
Actually my squadron commander durring basic training was a major. So some Majors do get to command something. Of course he was only commanding a bunch of new recruits and their training instructors, but it was a command position none the less.

jedi master sal
05-30-2002, 10:48 AM
The official site has posted this so we call all relax and finally put this argument to bed.

(following text from official site)

In Episode II there appears to be troopers with a color-coding on their armor. Does this indicate rank and if so what color equates to what rank?

It is indeed an indication of rank. Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants.

follow the link to confrim this

http://www.starwars.com/community/a...jc20020528.html

Croaker
05-30-2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. It had been a matter of some debate.
Now someone more familiar with the american armed forces - what scheme is that ?

Army, Navy, Marine, Air Force?

I think that Star Trek was based on the navy and commander was below captain.

mrmiller
05-30-2002, 10:58 AM
Thanks for clearing that up- but this link is a little better (I think):

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20020528.html

Late.

JEDIpartner
05-30-2002, 11:12 AM
Don't mess with Dead Eye... he's our little cadet! :)

jedi master sal
05-30-2002, 12:11 PM
That's strange. Mine was the exact same link but went to a different page. In any event go the the official site's hompage and you can get directly to the link from there.

scruffziller
05-30-2002, 01:20 PM
I knew that right away just from ESP 1 one revealed about the battle droids, some had red, yellow, blue etc. and the toys indicated that.

SirSteve
05-30-2002, 01:23 PM
No one remembers the Battle Droids from E1 being ranked?

Mandalorian Candidat
05-30-2002, 02:46 PM
All I have to say at the rest of this military jargon is...

"Thank you sir, may I have another?" :crazed:

JEDIpartner
05-30-2002, 02:52 PM
I remember!!! :)

DeadEye
05-30-2002, 04:16 PM
Darth Stevious,

Squadron Commander? Are you in the Air Force? Well, maybe there majors do command something--but not in the Army. There's no such thing as a squadron in the Army anyway.

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 04:32 PM
Squadrons do exist in Air Cavalry units, if I'm not mistaken. And a Major can hold the position of Battalion Commander if he is promotable, it's rare but not out of the question.

Commander in this case probably refers to Battalion, Brigade or Division Commander. I'm betting on Division since the yellow clone Yoda ordered to open fire on the Federation ships seemed to command more than one regiment. Those giant laser cannons could easily fall under the catagory of Air Defense Artillery or Field Artillery which are different regiments than your standard Light Infantry. Add in the pilots and the guys in the gunner bubbles as Air Cavalry, and the AT-TE drivers as Armor or Armored Cavalry. That's at least four different regiments and five different units (Brigade command being it's own separate unit) seemingly under the command on one Yellow Clonetrooper. Unless of course he was the Air Defense Brigade commander and Yoda sought him out for that reason alone. That doesn't even take into account the combat support units: communication, foward support battalions, medical, combat engineers and military intelligence.

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Remember the Star Destroyers were in the Imperial Navy. Navy sailors don't fight on the ground, so the Stormtroopers could have been the US equivalent of Marines which is very similar to Army ranking structure with only a few minor differences.

The Clonetroopers in Ep2 seem to be based entirely on the US Army. So that would put Commanders (Battalion or Brigade) above Captains (Company commanders).

The structure breaks down like so:

Corps
Division
Brigade or Regiment
Battalion
Company or Battery
Platoon
Squad
Team

If the yellow clone is a Division commander that would put him in the rank of General, Brigades are usually commanded by Colonels, Battalions by Lt. Colonels, Companies and Batteries by Captians, Platoons by Leitenants, Squads by Sergeants and Teams by Corporals. This is an extremely simplified breakdown of the basic rank structure and doesn't even take into account Sergeants Major (Corps, Div., Bde, Bn), First Sergeants (Co, Batt), or Platoon Sergeants (Plt). Don't even get me started on Warrant Officers.

DeadEye
05-30-2002, 06:51 PM
Warrant officers? They don't command...

And SGMs and 1SGs are just head NCOs, they don't command either.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by DeadEye
Warrant officers? They don't command...

And SGMs and 1SGs are just head NCOs, they don't command either.

Really?:eek: And to think that after only 11 years in the Army, I never knew that!:p:D

In any case Warrant Officers do command if there are no other officers available, like with the Majors commanding Battalions, it's not unheard of just nowhere near common (when our Captain went on emergency leave, the next in command was a Chief Warrant Officer who took command, we had no allocations for Leiutenants since we were a training unit). Warrant Officers usually fill in the Battalion Motor Officer slot and any other position that requires a lot of technical expertise without the command responsibilities. Warrant Officers are also helicopter pilots.

I'd like you to try and tell any SGM or 1SG that they don't command anything to their face. They'd beg to differ.:) I had a 1SG when I was with the Engineers (Float Bridge unit) who claimed that he was in charge and the Captain just took the credit.:)

Laserbrain
05-31-2002, 04:18 PM
I can see the yelllow trooper as a general as well, but I'm not sure how the numbers would work out. With the structure I laid down in that last post, it adds up to be 640 clones in at battalion, which seems a bit large.

I downloaded the Clonetrooper TV spot from theforce.net and paused it where the Clones are loading into their transports. I counted the troops and they're arranged in a ten by ten square formation. That's a hundred troops in command of a yellow trooper.

If I adjusted that scale so a sqaud was five clones it still wouldn't add up. In the Army, who commands up to a hundred men?

Thanks for the informative discussion, everybody! On most SW forums, I'd be flamed to high heaven for getting into so much detail. I'm sure we can figure with out if we poll our resources...

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 04:32 PM
Something just doesn't add up though. I didn't read any articles so I dunno if it mentions it or not but why the blue troopers have no fin is still a mystery. (I guess) It could stand for that the higher ranking ones are finned ones but then again the 'private' soldiers also have the fins.

As for one Clone commanding a hundred, remember Taun We said they have been genectically changed to obey orders so it would actually be possible for them to obey orders.

Just for the record - there was a helmeted blue trooper, an unhelmeted blue trooper and an unhelmeted green trooper. 'Course technically we saw what they all looked like without helmets from the mess hall scene. :D

DeadEye
05-31-2002, 04:49 PM
But SGMs and 1SGs don't command anything. At best, they lead. You don't COMMAND until you're a captain commanding a company.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 05:15 PM
True, CSMs and 1SGs actually job concerns taking care of the troops and accomplishing the mission laid out by their commander. They also act as an advisor to their commander, since getting to those higher NCO ranks takes 15-20 years (a little less in some cases) and officers can be given a command within 5 years. I was just pointing out that many senior NCOs egos won't allow them to accept the fact that they don't run everything.:)

There seems to be more to the Clonetrooper ranks than what SW.com woul have us believe. I think that they really don't pay that much attention to the little details (like why blue troopers have no fin) and just throw any answer out there to shut us up.

For one, I don't remember seeing any blue or green troopers on the battlefield. I saw one red, one yellow and gobs of white. If blue and green are truly LTs and SGTs then they would be right there in the thick of things with their troops. Unless they were all sitting in the CP (Command Post) drinking coffee while everyone else fought.:D

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Well you saw what happened to the reds and yellows in the huge gun posts, they ordered their own suicides by having the trade fed ships shot down, Blue and Green are Jedi colors, the force was with the clones for forseeing the future so they acted stupid to stay on Kamino and play in the rain. :D

bigbarada
06-02-2002, 04:10 PM
The more I think about it though, the more I think Jocasta Nu is full of crap. Each of those units that seems to be commanded by a yellow clonetrooper is no bigger than an Infantry Company. Which would make the Yellow Clones Captains. I also see no Sergeants or Leiutenants in the formations walking up the ramps in the end of the movie. I think our previous assumption that Blue and Green signifies some kind of specialized troop and Red and Yellow are commanders of some sort seems more valid.

Just another example of the people behind SW.com throwing out any answer to shut us up.

LTBasker
06-02-2002, 04:50 PM
SW.com also ties-in EU info, so it's not entirely a canon source on stuff.

I think there were also Yellow and Red commanders in the gun towers, not sure if they had a yellow and red in each tower, but most likely they did while if the Yellow were like generals they would probably only need them in a single tower in that area to command them all in the area instead of several.

Jek Porky 2002
06-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Has anybody got any pictures of the different colours of rank of the Clone Troopers because I only remember seeing red and yellow in the film, I think the other 2 are green and blue.

LTBasker
06-08-2002, 03:06 PM
I'd post the images but they're not on this computer. JJB (or anyone else for that matter), you still got'em?

The other 2 Clone colors were Blue and Green, only 2 Blue and 1 Green are seen on film though during the Kamino scene when they show Clones gathering their helmets. The green one and one Blue are unhelmeted while you can see a blue one (wearing a finless helmet) talking to other troopers.

hango fett
06-10-2002, 10:40 AM
i saw a black clonetrooper yesterday when i saw it again. he stands behind anikan and obi-wan when they are arguing over to put the ship down or not. he had a blcak fin on his helmet and black on his suit...go see it agian and tell me if i'm right!

scruffziller
06-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by hango fett
i saw a black clonetrooper yesterday when i saw it again. he stands behind anikan and obi-wan when they are arguing over to put the ship down or not. he had a blcak fin on his helmet and black on his suit...go see it agian and tell me if i'm right!

Are you certain it isn't just a regular clone trooper.

hango fett
06-10-2002, 04:31 PM
no. it WAS a black clone trooper. it had the fin and shoulder pads all in balck.

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 04:32 PM
Sorry Hango, but that's just a normal white clonetrooper standing in the shadows.

hango fett
06-10-2002, 08:44 PM
aw! i could ahve sworn.....i'll check it out when i get the dvd in october

Beast
06-10-2002, 08:45 PM
Nope, he's just standing in the shadows. And the DVD release isn't due out until November 26th. All of the major DVD websites confirm that as the day. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DeadEye
06-11-2002, 10:27 AM
That will be the greatest day of the year!!!!

I read somewhere that AOTC would have been around 5 hours long if all its deleted scenes were reincorporated. I also heard that this had more scenes deleted that had been completed than any of the other SW films. Do you think the DVD will include:

-Anakin slaughtering the whole Tusken camp being shown?

-The extended fight between Obi-Wan and Dooku?

-Anakin also fought Dooku with the green saber for a while before he got the second one. Will this be seen?

-And of course, the part where Dooku uses two lightsabers on Yoda?

-The scene where Padme arrives at the Senate just after she is thought dead?

-The slightly extended Kamino fight? (Watch the Clone War trailer, that shot of Obi-Wan deflecting blaster bolts and doing a spinning deflection was NOT in the film.)

-Padme's family on Naboo?

And I'm sure there's others that I can't remember....

LTBasker
06-11-2002, 12:25 PM
The thing that is really bugging me about the Clone Troopers are why go to any lengths just to make some background characters that are barely scene in their sequence. The helmeted blue I mean, there must've been a bigger part planned if they went through the small trouble of removing the fin from the CGI model and painting it blue. Same goes for the green and other blue Trooper, granted there were unhelmeted versions of the regular white troopers, they probably could've saved a little time by not coloring in those two troopers' armor, especially since they'd also have to worry about the lighting issue and possibly work on that a little more to make it look like realistic lighting.

I guess either they were meant for bigger parts that were never made or cut, or they had some time to kill so they added a little "flavoring" to the Clone Trooper scene with those guys.

Dar' Argol
11-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Ok, I know this has been discussed before, but I cannot find it. And Jar will probably provide a link;). So . . . .

A while after the movie released, starwars.com released what the coloring of the clones ment. Red was commander, yellow was pilots, green was something, and blue was medic . . . I think. I was watching the movie again for the 60th time:D and I have questions.

The yellow clones are suppost to be pilots and their armor refelcts this. Different helmets, chestplates, etc. But what the heck are the normal looking clones with the yellow suppost to be!?!?!?! Seems to me they were barking out more orders then the red Commanders?? Anyone with info???

Beast
11-18-2002, 11:07 PM
Here's a link to the Ask the Jedi Council where the coloring of the clones was discussed. According to Madame Jocasta Nu, the colors refer to the following. Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants. :)

For the record, the idea that Blue was Field Medics was just fan speculation. I thought it made more sense to color coordinate them by the job, not by rank. Oh well, thats the color breakdown. I'll see if I can find the numerous threads here on the forums as well. This may take a while, as it's in E2 and the Saga sections. :)

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20020528.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
11-18-2002, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
But what the heck are the normal looking clones with the yellow suppost to be!?!?!?! Seems to me they were barking out more orders then the red Commanders?? Anyone with info???[/COLOR]

Well, we know they aren't officers, cuz officers aren't Troopers, er um, but we know that they're all Clones...er, or do we? This is getting confusing...if someone is wearing armor, they're a Clone Trooper...unless they're just an officer wearing armor in battle...er. Hmm?:crazed:

Sith Lord 0498
11-19-2002, 06:30 AM
Dar'Argol, the yellow troopers are the commanders. The red troopers are captains. That's why the yellow clones were barking out more orders. Check SirSteve's picture database and look at that yellow 12" KB exclusive clonetrooper. The box reads "Clone Commander." Hope that clears up the confusion!

JEDIpartner
11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
From the Official Website... Mme Jocasta Nu reveals the answer... (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=96354#post96354)

LTBasker
11-19-2002, 03:10 PM
Did anyone notice in one of the DVD documentarys that the original Clone idea was to have no fin on the helmet? (Cause Lama Su hadn't been designed yet either so they didn't have the fin idea) So one blue Clone (out of two) was seen helmeted but with no fin, possibly Lucas' way of inserting one of the original models just with added coloring so it looks different than anyone else?

Jargo
11-29-2002, 03:25 PM
He probably did it to laugh at the fans hashing this whole thing out pointlessly over and over and over and over.......... what is the significance of the finles clonetrooper, how many clones does it take to change a lightbulb, How come the kaminoans who are just biological experts got to be so good at making armoured vehicles to go with those clones, if the Kaminoans use primitive means of flight on their planet how come they knew so much about space travel and space faring ships? These are the bigger questions that need answering I think.

The Overlord Returns
11-29-2002, 03:57 PM
what's amazing is that the jedi Order had enough swag to fund the operation, and that no one in the jedi order was keeping track of the cash flow going out.........

IG65
11-29-2002, 10:48 PM
Does anybody have good examples of the green and blue rank colors? I was thinking about customizing some figures, but the pictures posted earlier in this thread don't give me a really clear idea of the color values. Thanks!