PDA

View Full Version : $125 Imperial Shuttle

snakeplkn
05-29-2002, 06:43 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a thread about the Imperial Shuttle based on Thrawn's newest FAQ. Called the 800-876-7867 number Thrawn gave out. I wasn't put through to the nearest store, the operator was ready to take my order. $125 for the shuttle, $25 more for taxes and shipping. They took my credit card number and told me I will be billed when the shuttle ships, December 2nd.

Snake Plissken
"Call me Snake"

DarthMaulSithLord
05-29-2002, 07:14 PM
One word:

BOYCOTT!!!

:(

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 08:16 PM
So now it's $150 when you include shipping? What a load of crap!:mad:

Not for me. Sorry.

fourtwo
05-29-2002, 09:01 PM
that means it will be over 200 bucks in canada.
what a load.

KIDD
05-29-2002, 09:34 PM
my advise is to go to the fao nearest you like i did and they will put your name on a list and call you when it comes in

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Great advice, thanks! To bad the nearest FAO is over 2000 miles away!:mad: They are not a nationwide chain and they don't even exist in most of the country not to mention overseas, which is why it is totally bunk that they get this vehicle.

Sidiously Darth
05-29-2002, 11:35 PM
Why is FAO continuing this farce. Hasbro has not even confirmed this item. I hope FAO gets it pulled out from under them. I'd rather it not even be made than get in their hands at that price.

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2002, 11:38 PM
I dont care how nice it is, if it is $125, I wont even think about getting this thing. I have the vintage one, and that is enough for me. Unless there was a huge sale or somehow they lowered the price, I dont see me getting this vehicle.

LTBasker
05-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Eh, till they drop the price, they're just scalpers to me. I don't want to get into the whole scalper fight but scalpers use what's hot to raise the price and they're doing the same when they don't have any need to because it's just for more profit than they deserve for this so eh.

bigbarada
05-29-2002, 11:51 PM
Okay, I did the math and the nearest FAO to me is in Houston, Texas which is "only" 830 miles away! That's an estimated 13 hour drive! All for the "honor" of paying $125 for a hollowed-out rehash! No thanks. I'll pass on this vehicle. I've wanted it remade for almost seven years now; but I can't accept this. Totally ridiculous!!:mad:

TRU would have been much more acceptable for a vehicle with this high of demand. It's worldwide and in every state of the US. My nearest TRU is only a 45 minute drive away.

LTBasker
05-29-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Okay, I did the math and the nearest FAO to me is in Houston, Texas which is "only" 830 miles away! That's an estimated 13 hour drive! All for the "honor" of paying $125 for a hollowed-out rehash! No thanks. I'll pass on this vehicle. I've wanted it remade for almost seven years now; but I can't accept this. Totally ridiculous!!:mad:

Not too mention theres gas money so it's either $150+ for it to be shipped to you with the high chance of it being mishandled and showing up in bad box conditions or you paying $125 + taxes + gas money to get it.

Hasbro's running out of space to stab us in the back. :p

JetsAndHeels
05-29-2002, 11:56 PM
I agree BigB. This was not a wise marketing decision for Hasbro. I mean sure people will buy this for the high price, but think about how much money would come in if it was a TRU exclusive and was cheaper. Larger quantities would be sold and less people would have to look to scalpers for this vehicle.

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 12:09 AM
$125 X 5000 units = $625000 for Hasbro and FAO

$75 X 10000 units = $750000

$50 X 50000 units = $2500000

Hasbro stands to make more money by releasing more of them at a lower price. Even if they do up the production run beyond 5000, I still won't buy one not for that price.

aharry
05-30-2002, 12:35 AM
The price sucks!!! If these toys are also targeted towards kids, how on Earth will they satisfy the demand by only making 5000 and sending them to the only toy store that is about as rare to find as a short saber in the long tray Obi-Wan on an orange card? I smell payola on FAOs part. If they want to overprice the thing, send it to a more accessible toy store like KB, where the toys are already overpriced.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-30-2002, 12:53 AM
$125? Are these Imperial Shuttles made out of gold? What a crock! Glad I don't live near one.

Didn't FAO have an Episode I exclusive (Falumpasset or Faamba, can't remember) and weren't they super expensive? And if I remember correctly, they sat on the shelves for ages and were eventually discounted.

And I thought the B-wing was a little pricey!

yukface27
05-30-2002, 03:15 AM
I wish I woulda picked up one of those discounted Fambaas. They went down to around $35. My nearest FAO is in Seattle (I'm about an hour away). One things for sure though, I'm not paying $125 for that shuttle. I could probably get a vintage one for cheaper. Besides, screw the shuttle. I want a AT-TE. RAWWWWWWWWWW!!! HULK SMASH!!!

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 04:10 AM
Vintage Shuttles usually sell for about $300 loose online and as much as $700 boxed. The good news is that every re-release of a vehicle has resulted in the lowering of value of it's vintage counterpart. So those prices might go down after the FAO Shuttle is released.

Who knows? You might get lucky and score one on ebay super cheap.

gibbspaulus
05-30-2002, 04:22 AM
Oi, Hasbro and FAO - Nooooooooooooooooo!

mightywhelk
05-30-2002, 04:57 AM
$125 = 85, absolutely ridiculous and that's not taking into account it's a US exclusive. If a UK/European collector wants to get their hands on it through a third party, we'll probably be expected to part with something in the region of 130 ($190).

Hasbro can stick it where the sun don't shine....

bobafett07728
05-30-2002, 09:52 AM
My hopes is that if they do get it (Hasbro hasn't confirmed it yet) that it sits like the Faamba did. I was able to get that for $19.99 at my "local" FAO (Its about 1+ hour away.) I'll just have to wait it out again, and hope history repeats itself. Otherwise, I am already content with having that hole in my collection. Hey. . .if we all boycott long enough, they'll have to mark them down quicker!!!!!! We can do it!!!! Beat the man!!!!

Jedi Drew
05-30-2002, 09:54 AM
I would love to have one of these but.....for a $125.00..... FAO you can kiss my royal Polish behind. Maybe I would pay $75-that's it. Well,HH-:) :) :)

DarthMaulSithLord
05-30-2002, 10:46 AM
The problem is that some people are nuts enough to buy it. If we are boycotting this thing, we need to do it as a whole.

To all the Star Wars collectors and buyers in the whole community: SAY NO TO THE $125 SHUTTLE!!!

:)

evenflow
05-30-2002, 10:48 AM
I psychotically ordered one as well. I think that the price is sick, but still i did order one.

bobafett07728
05-30-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
The problem is that some people are nuts enough to buy it. If we are boycotting this thing, we need to do it as a whole.

To all the Star Wars collectors and buyers in the whole community: SAY NO TO THE $125 SHUTTLE!!!

:)

I'm with DarthMaulSithLord. . .lets boycott until its dirtcheap clearance!!!!!!!!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-30-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by evenflow
I psychotically ordered one as well. I think that the price is sick, but still i did order one.

You are getting royaly screwed ya know that?

aikman
05-30-2002, 11:43 AM
IT depends what you people did before:
Did you pay that crazy:
$85 for the 12" dewback(nowhere near as good as 12"han/taun )
$99 for the royal starship

Those prices were ridiculous, some people paid them.
I didnt.
I would love the imp shuttle, but I have limits, we all should.

Would I go :
$125? Heck no
$85 no,
$55 probably

Dont pay sky high prices!, It ruins it for everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobafett07728
05-30-2002, 11:54 AM
I can't pay over $50 for anything. . .and even that is hard to justify. I had to wait on all of those. . .the Dewback. . .the Royal Starship. . .heck. . .even the AT-AT. It just gets really difficult to get everything when some of the prices are just insane. History has proven that most of the high priced stuff doesn't sell right away, and eventually gets marked down. If we wait this one out. . .we should be OK. Don't forget. . .some FAO exclusives (Leia and R2-D2, Wedge and Biggs) ended up on clearance in stores other than FAO. We WILL get our Imperial Shuttle. . .it just may be a couple of months after the foolish pay $125 for theirs.

Jonna
05-30-2002, 12:05 PM
Where did this price figure come from? That is ridiculous. Is anyone really going to pay that much!?!?! I really wanted the ATAT but didn't think it wise to shell out that much money for a toy.

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 12:37 PM
I wonder if we all aren't jumping the gun a bit here.Lord knows I did a few weeks ago.As far as I know F.A.O. has NOT been officially given this ship.So how can we get riled over that rumor?Also $125 can't be set in stone either right?
If the first of my points is true,then how can any of us really know what is included with it.No electronics?We don't know for sure.No pack ins,again we don't know.Man we don't even know for sure if it is a rehash.Do we?I don't.I want this ship.But before I make the same mistake I did a few weeks ago i will wait for real concrete info or even pics before I go off the deep end in either direction.:)

Old Fossil
05-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Regardless of whoever ends up getting this as an exclusive (and we all KNOW that's the only way it's going to get produced), and at whatever price, a new Shuttle will always be scarce and scalper-targeted. Look at the history of the POTF Y-wing and the POTJ B-Wing and TIE Bomber. Already the Bomber is difficult to come by, and the other two (esp. the Y-Wing) go for outrageous prices on Ebay. Hasbro just doesn't make enough to satisfy consumer demand for these vehicles, even if they are inexpensive to produce using vintage molds and withholding the electronics AND cutting corners on the pack-in figures.

The price and the distribution on the Shuttle really are insulting to those of us who have been loyal Hasbro customers for years now.

Runobot
05-30-2002, 03:24 PM
I was informed there are only 26 FAO Schwartz's in the USA

Lman316
05-30-2002, 03:26 PM
If it does happen to be $125, as rumored, I'm definitely boycotting. I really really want a shuttle too - ROTJ is my favorite movie and I wanted to put one up for my Endor display, but it might be that I'll never be able to. Heck, I was going to buy two, if they were worth it, but Hasbro won't be getting anything from me.
I know that it's only rumors and everything, but this thing apparently will not come with any pack-ins, no electronics and it's not even really to scale. The Royal Starship was only $100, it was 3 feet long and had electronics. And it didn't come with one pack-in, no, it came with TWO: the red R2 unit and the droid starfighter. It seems that this was the most accurate ship ever made by Hasbro.
I know, I know they're making enough money on other things to provide everyone with a decent Shuttle. And if they do it right, they could charge $125 and people would buy it (maybe multiples, like I wanted), but they just have to make it worth it!
C'mon Hasbro, enough of your crap. Please don't make me have to boycott anything. I want a shuttle - and a decent one too :mad:.

End.

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 05:53 PM
Oh we do know it's an exclusive.And it's been discussed alot around here as to why exclusives even exist.
You know over a month ago eternal Padawan suggested a petion to be sent to Hasbro and Lucas himself.Alot of people loved the idea.So I wrote up two seperate petitions and sent the to El Chuxter for proof reading.I also posted them so everyone could have some input on their content.Guess what.Everybody just forgets about it and goes off else where to complain about something else.WE DON"T KNOW SQUAT ABOUT THIS SHIP!!!
Please guys do your selves a favor and wait and see what happens.We can all boycott until the cows come home and it wouldn't help.Is it scalper bait no matter what?Oh yes definately!!
But will it ever be on clearance? I don't think so no.FOA is only half the size it was when they had the Faamba.If and I said If they even get the shuttle,they're not in position to order that many.
I collect to collect.If money and value was an issue I wouldn't buy any of it.I'm an adult buying toys!! I don't like the idea that it's rumored to $125.But I don't like the price of much of anything I buy.
Be patient guys,WE will KNOW before long.Then I may very well join you.But I'm not going anywhere half cocked.

jedi_uk73
05-30-2002, 06:13 PM
About time the shuttle was relaunched, but not at that price. Over here in the UK, it will sell for around 100, that's the same price as the POTF2 AT-AT when it was released.

If we all boycott the new Shuttle, stores will have no alternative but to lower the price.

Runobot
05-30-2002, 08:25 PM
FAO told me there will be 5000 released, and their flagship store in NY will get 1,000 of them in. That leaves 4000 for the rest of the stores. 5000 total is not really that rare, is it?

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 08:31 PM
I can't say if 5000 is rare or not.It seems to be.But the problem is more the locations of the stores.Access is going to be a much larger problem than anything.IF FAO got this ship.That alone is a major mistake.

plo koon 200
05-30-2002, 08:36 PM
5000 is rare enough.

yukface27
05-31-2002, 12:54 AM
12" Dewback and Sandtooper! HA HA!!! I paid $30 for 'em. Patience pays off... SUCKERS!!!

RooJay
05-31-2002, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
One word:

BOYCOTT!!!

I wish a boycott were possible. I don't think they'll have any trouble at all selling through all of these. Whether we boycott or not there will be more than enough people out there willing and able to shell out that kind of cash. Even if all us fans and collectors DID manage a boycott, all 5000 units would be bought up by scalpers. Sad.:cry:

A lot of us are gonna miss out on this, and unfortunately there's nothing at all that we can do about it.

Just think about the number of people who showed up for Celebration 2. If only A THIRD of those people want a shuttle then there still won't be NEARLY enough to go around anyway. They'll sell fast and we'll never even see them be discounted.

Beast
05-31-2002, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by yukface27
12" Dewback and Sandtooper! HA HA!!! I paid $30 for 'em. Patience pays off... SUCKERS!!!
That was mature. :rolleyes: Just because you waited and only paid $30 for it, doesn't make everyone else suckers. Some stores never even got them back in, after they came out. My local TRU stores never even marked em down. And I'm not complaining cause I didn't get one for $30, I didn't bother to get one at all. Just don't call other people suckers cause they paid full price, that's just rude. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wolfwood319
05-31-2002, 01:29 AM
If Hasbro and FAO do indeed do this as rumored (5000 at $125 a pop) they're sure taking the safest bet. If people out there are willing to pay $500 for a Sacul or TF Vader, they're more than willing to pay $125 for a Shuttle. And at a number like 5000, they're gaurenteed to sell them all. The last thing they want is another Faamba incident on their hands. Sure they could up the production to 10,000 and maybe price it at $85-ish, is FAO comfortable with twice as much?

I'm sure a lot of people think that $125 is a fair price (if the ship is on par or above with the vintage.) I know it sucks for all you "long time collectors," but 'dems da breaks. You can sit here all day and write up posts to complain about this or that, but you're still buying Star Wars figures at stores, and that right there defeats all the complaining you could ever possibly do.

Some of you also say that "you won't give Hasbro that amount of money." Well, guess what? You wouldn't be giving Hasbro any money anyway. FAO would buy from Hasbro, and they you'd give your money to FAO. That's why Hasbro markets more to reatail stores than the consumer themeselves. The only time they do the latter is to increase demand.

If you think that paying $125 for a shuttle is foolish, guess what I think about those of you who think that if you don't buy these initially, that they'll just sit on the shelves until they're discounted?

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 01:44 AM
The thing about it when the Royal Starship and the Dewback with their prices is... They were NEW. That doesn't really justify the prices, except for the Royal Starship which I hear is cool and think about it, everything was NEW and you even got an awesome pack-in with it. The Dewback was over-priced yes but at least the mold itself was new, which is much more than you can say for the shuttle.

$40 for the electronic huge Imperial Shuttle back in the 80's and now they want to try to rip us with a $125 hollow with nothing new except paint which probably cost them 10- bucks for all the paint to use on the 5000 shuttles.

See, it's been confirmed that FAO jumped the blaster on the whole Shuttle pre-orders but the price is no exaggeration. They jumped the gun because their greedy lil' minds wanted to see if they COULD sell the shuttle at $125 and since people pre-ordered, well there ya go. The production numbers may go up, but the price could quite possibly stick.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 03:21 AM
Geez, Wolfwood, who wizzed in your Cheerios this morning? Lighten up, dude.:)

Someone asked earlier if 5000 was really all that rare. Well the SE Jedi Luke, the ones given out opening night for ROTJ SE, had a production run of like 50,000 which was considered extremely rare for a figure. I think the average SW figure is produced in the hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions for the Ep1 stuff (why there was so much of a glut).

Maximilian Veers
05-31-2002, 06:25 AM
Im not living near no damn TRU or FAO,I'm in Iceland and I will have to pay about $700 to fly to the States,just to get one freakin' shuttle,if I then want it after all.
Make it easier for us European collectors to get our hands on those fun collectives.

Dryanta
05-31-2002, 08:03 AM
Thanks BigB for the comparison in numbers.I knew 5000 sounds low to me but I didn't want to run off at the mouth not knowing for sure.
While I do understand the reasoning behind exclusives I do not like the consequence of alot of people not only here in the US but elsewhere being left out.
I do not believe these shuttles will evr see clearance.They'll come and go quickly.If the numbers are correct I don't think many more than 10% or so will even see a shelf.
More than likely I'll be getting one.Am I a "sucker"? maybe so.
But I'd rather be a Sucker with a Shuttle,than a collector without one regreting not getting one while I could.No offense ment.But I've been around enough to know people get all wound up(justifiably mind you) and exclude themselves from something.
And then deeply regret it later.
Please remember,don't get insulting to people who will buy these at $125.They are not "more serious" about collecting than anyone else.And they are not Suckers either.And believe it not buy buying one they are not hurting other collectors by bowing to Hasbro or FAO.They are just collecting.

Darkross
05-31-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Runobot
FAO told me there will be 5000 released, and their flagship store in NY will get 1,000 of them in. That leaves 4000 for the rest of the stores. 5000 total is not really that rare, is it?

Well considering that there are about 2400 users on this site and probably about 80% of them want the new shuttle, so that doesn't leave many left for scalpers, and the rest of the other non-member collectors. So I would say that 5000 is rare enough, since I won't see one here in Canada eh!:(

eliwankenobi
05-31-2002, 12:56 PM
D@mn - if only I still had my vintage one. :(

I'm not gonna get my panties in a ruffle over this one yet. Nothing's been confirmed, and we don't even have pix of it yet.

True, FAO sucks - they're just one rung higher on the ladder than scalpers - and since the one in SCP went out of business the closest one to me is Vegas. Ohhh - maybe I'll just go out and try to win enough to pay for a shuttle! :D

Runobot
05-31-2002, 03:36 PM

I think the average SW figure is produced in the hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions for the Ep1 stuff (why there was so much of a glut).

You cannot compare the number of each figure produced with the number of a large item like a vehicle.

I look at it like this, I also collect comic statues that are usually only produced in about 5000 pieces and they are not that hard to get when they are first released. Of course, there may not be as much of a demand for them, who knows really.

Anyway, when I went to get on the list, I was about person #125, and they said they were going to take preorders for up to 500 people. They could not guarantee that all 500 people would get one, but anyone could call up and at least get on the list.

I suggest everyone just suck it up and fork over the cash. It is supposed to be released around christmas time, so maybe you can get it for a gift if you cannot affford it.

All you have to do is save $20 a month from now until then and you can afford it.

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 04:04 PM
I would prefer to not support it until the price drops. Otherwise, even if I were to be the only one doing this this, I'm staying my ground. :happy:

Darth Annexis
05-31-2002, 05:27 PM
You can kill me...But I ordered two. "Hey its only money"

The Vintage ones are flimsy now and the wings don't hold well. The new is rumored to come with three figures??? I won't pass up figures. Sure the price is steep, but a true collector would pay the price when issued to have the item. I won't sell either one. I plan to create a huge Diarama of the Rebel Hanger and the Imperial Hanger...

All in all, I hope that they will improve the design. Much like they improved the Tie Interceptor.

I guess the thing that is weird...a few months ago we were all polled about the shuttle and it got high scores...what happened?

You would not expect them to sell it for less than the AT AT which was 100.00 we all paid that for ours! (When it was released)...and 50.00 for a Falcon....geez...now I know where all my money went!

DarthMaulSithLord
05-31-2002, 07:07 PM
If they don't sell a single unit, the price will probably drop.

supply and demand.

Slacker Jedi
05-31-2002, 11:39 PM
Here in SF, an FAO employee told me they'd already gotten 250 pre-orders for this store alone... I signed up for 2... if they go in clearance later, I'll get a third one

Wolfwood319
06-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Geez, Wolfwood, who wizzed in your Cheerios this morning? Lighten up, dude.:)

Someone asked earlier if 5000 was really all that rare. Well the SE Jedi Luke, the ones given out opening night for ROTJ SE, had a production run of like 50,000 which was considered extremely rare for a figure. I think the average SW figure is produced in the hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions for the Ep1 stuff (why there was so much of a glut).

I'm just tired of all these whiners out there. No one in particular, but it seems that, in SW collecting in particular, the fans are never satisfied. They always find something to complain about. They never are happy with what they have, its always "Hasblo" isn't making this, or they aren't making enough of this figure. People take this way too seriosly. Its supposed to be fun, if it isn't why do you do it?

bigbarada
06-01-2002, 02:05 AM
Dryanta, good way to look at it. I've pretty much decided that I don't really need one at all. I'm not a completist by any sense of the word and I am little by little, scaling back until I just don't buy anything anymore. I'm seriously trying to break myself of this hobby but that it way too hard when they keep making so much cool stuff.

Wolfwood, understood about the incessant complaining. I'm amazed Hasbro even cares anymore. My personal philosophy is that Hasbro is deliberately going completely against fan requests in order to kill demand for the line and get out of their contract for one more movie. I'm sure that they included a "bail-out" clause with Lucasfilm if sales were low enough. Of course, after seven years of nothing but insults and abuse from the fans; who can really blame them?

Darth Annexis, that rumor of the Shuttle coming with three figures is an old and completely inaccurate one. They were supposed to come with Endor Han and the two Endor Rebel Soldiers; but those figures are being released on a card. The $125 is for an emptied out shell of the vintage toy. Kind of a rip-off IMO; but if you're a "true collector" then you just have to buy it don't you?:rolleyes:

jedi_uk73
06-01-2002, 07:11 AM
Where is everyone getting this 5000 only from. I know it was a rumour a while back, but it's a load of rubbish.

A report from Hasbro UK, recently revealed that it will be made available to every country, and FAO should NOT have been taking pre-orders as it's production at the time was not confirmed.

It may end up as a FAO exclusive in the US, but it WILL be available everywhere else.

5000 no way. more like 50,000+

Runobot
06-01-2002, 08:34 AM
I was told by an FAO employee directly that it was 5,000. Now he may be wrong, but that is what he told me.

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Darth Annexis
You can kill me...But I ordered two. "Hey its only money"

The Vintage ones are flimsy now and the wings don't hold well. The new is rumored to come with three figures??? I won't pass up figures. Sure the price is steep, but a true collector would pay the price when issued to have the item. I won't sell either one. I plan to create a huge Diarama of the Rebel Hanger and the Imperial Hanger...

All in all, I hope that they will improve the design. Much like they improved the Tie Interceptor.

I guess the thing that is weird...a few months ago we were all polled about the shuttle and it got high scores...what happened?

You would not expect them to sell it for less than the AT AT which was 100.00 we all paid that for ours! (When it was released)...and 50.00 for a Falcon....geez...now I know where all my money went!

1. So far the only new thing that will be on the new one, is paint. It's undecided if it will come with A pack-in meaning one single figure, and that's not even known but it seems like theres lower than 50/50 chance of it having a pack-in. So a true collector is supposed to set aside all morals because of a piece of a cheaply made and highly over-priced toy? No thanks. :happy:

2. So far nothing has been even rumored about them changing the sculpt, then again how could they? They're using the original mold, and all that was done with the TIE Interceptor I believe was new wings since the old ones had stickers for the solar panels on the wings. They didn't even take off the battery compartment which was just useless.

3. The shuttle IS wanted, but we don't want to be cheated. :D

4. Never heard of that AT-AT going to $100? Here it was $80. $20 makes alot of difference.

RooJay
06-03-2002, 09:27 PM
If you look at the change in price of the figures from the time of the original Shuttle release to now, the figures have doubled in price from $2.99 to $5.99. Using that as a basis for judging inflation (I know it's not a sound means for comparison, but I still think it's a valid point. Bear with me) the Shuttle would be much more appropriately priced at 80 dollars.

Gungan Warrior
06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Where can you see a picture of it?

Slacker Jedi
06-03-2002, 11:04 PM
I don't think anybody's got pictures of it yet.

JediJeff77
06-04-2002, 12:46 AM
This may be a point of interest, however it doesn't mean squat, but...

I received a postcard from FAO today letting me know that my Shuttle Tyderium is on backorder with an expected ship date of 12/01/2002. :)
-J

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 02:04 AM
Hey,
I ordered 3, yes that right 3 shuttles. The original shuttle was close to a hundred dollars and seeing the rise in inflation since the eighties, its not entirely unfeasible for them to charge $125 for this shuttle. Sure its a little steap but honestly guys, could you ask for a better system? You dont have to go to the store every morning waiting for the shuttle, you just call in, give them your number, and you have your little name on one of the shuttles. If the run is limited to five thousand, which i suspect it is not, they will make more if more than 5000 pre order it. Plus, if you call in they right down your name and tell you that you might get a shuttle. FAO is a nation wide chain, meaning they have stores accross the nation. Im sorry if you dont live near one.
I think FAO is definently getting this thing for many reasons:
1. The backlash from fans of waisting their time calling the store to place the order would be a PR mess
2. Why would FAO try to mess with the nations number one manufacture of toys?
3. They are financially responsible if you give them your credit card number and to get 5k plus numbers for nothing is a huge disaster. On the legal topic again, a good lawyer could link the action of getting credit card numbers for an item that they were not offering as fraud. (the promise of a product that did not exhist or MIGHT not come.)
Who knows, maybe Hasbro is trying to concentrate on the current line of toys and pushing off publicly announcing it for a few months.
Thats my 2 cents

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 02:12 AM
The shuttle in the 80's wasn't near a hundred, it was $40 and I don't think Hasbro is the nation's number one manufacturer of toys.

Truly though, yeah we are asking for a better system, because them releasing the shuttle at $125, would be like them releasing another version of the gunship (which will be $40 this fall) and only repainting it then charging $125 just because it's an exclusive. :rolleyes:

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 02:13 AM
Look out is that a scalper I see?

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 02:34 AM
Basker,
As for the price for the vintage shuttle, it was not forty it was like 60. Factor in then the rise in standard of living and the diminishing value of the dollar and you come close to the price they are asking. I was not aware that they are just repaining a gun ship, I was told that this was the Imp shuttle, the most expensive ship of the vintage ships. Who knows what it looks like, i sure as hell dont. Charging a "regular" price only brings home the fact that this ship is for the fans. If they expected to mass market it, it would be like 129.99. Plus, the ship will almost have to be redesigned to a degree which means paying an artist royalities. I hate to break it to you but when a retailer gets an item like an exclusive, they do it to get collecters in their store to view other merchandise and hopefully pick up something else. In this case, collectors wont go to the stores, so presumably, there is more of a handling fee and an increase in price.

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 02:35 AM
On the notion of me being a scalper, of my friends, the interest rate on my credit card is much much much lower than theirs so it makes good financial sense to put it all on one card

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Mnkyskater

As for the price for the vintage shuttle, it was not forty it was like 60.

Wrong, it was $37.99. Here is the write-up from the 1984 Sears Catalog:

Catalog Description:
We made it to Endor, but we'll have to look out for Speeder Bikes (5) chasing Rebels on land. Meanwhile, battles are raging in space. A Y-Wing Fighter (6), with R2-D2 in his compartment, shoots its laser cannons. He's chasing one of the Empire's Tie Interceptors (7). His lasers are blasting, but his wings are ejecting. The Rebels got him! More Rebels approach in B-Wing fighters (8) that have a gyro-gravity effect in the cockpit. The craft spins, but the pilot stays upright as he speeds on to beat the Empire! The Emperor, the evil leader, arrives in the Imperial Shuttle. What's next? It's up to you from now on!

Imperial Shuttle has laser sounds, open side panels. Automatic wings. Unassem. Needs 2 "AA" batt., sold below.
49N59152 7 lbs...37.99

Source: 1984 Sears Wish Book

And here (http://www.toysrgus.com/images-toys/figuretoys/shuttle.html) is the website with all the pictures.

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 03:04 AM
Im sorry if i was off by 20 dollars. I read the little "notes under sir steves colectors cantina.
http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=924
Several Factors to consider:
1. Increased standard of living,
2. Value of dollar decreasing,
3. Increased Tarrifs against foreign made goods,
4. Increased minimum wage.

The standard of living has nearly doubled since 18 yrs ago when this thing came out. The dolar of today is nearly 1/3 of what it was then. Tarrifs are up to i think 15% to help us made goods fare against foreign competitors.
Im not saying that 125 for a ship is right but based on the financial state that america is in now, its not unheard of.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 03:12 AM
An $80 Shuttle should include electronics since the vintage one had them. Thus that would make the inflation argument valid. A $100 Shuttle should be fully loaded like the Queen's Starship (interactive electronics, 2 bonus vehicles and a pack-in figure).

This re-release is nothing more than a repainted, gutted vintage Shuttle with NO electronics and NO pack-in figures. How do you justify the $125 price tag?

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 03:18 AM
An $80 Shuttle should include electronics since the vintage one had them. Thus that would make the inflation argument valid. A $100 Shuttle should be fully loaded like the Queen's Starship (interactive electronics, 2 bonus vehicles and a pack-in figure).

This re-release is nothing more than a repainted, gutted vintage Shuttle with NO electronics and NO pack-in figures. How do you justify the $125 price tag?

UH..........the stickers are more realistic?

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 03:21 AM
Some where I heard (read) that there were going to be like three figures...A pilot, Royal Guard, and Maybe a Vader or Palpatine...this was long long ago...(in a Galaxy Far Away...) you know back when the Shuttle thing was just a rumor....(oh yeah I forgot...it's still one)...NO NO..."I'm so confused"....

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Yeah I heard stickers were more expensive today, hence why if you don't get them included then they can send you another sheet for free.

Actually stickers aren't more realistic, just uses more of the light/shadow embossing to look more real.

The shuttle has been confirmed as being made, they jus thaven't gone through all the final parts yet like if it will include A pack-in figure or not. Either way it won't have 3.

FAO is offering the Shuttle without knowing much about it because they want to sell it for as much as they can to take advantage of people who have wanted it and will pay anything no matter what. First they were offering it because they wanted to see if they could get away with the $125, people took the bait and now that's the prices they're keeping.

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Yeah I heard stickers were more expensive today, hence why if you don't get them included then they can send you another sheet for free.

Actually stickers aren't more realistic, just uses more of the light/shadow embossing to look more real.

The shuttle has been confirmed as being made, they jus thaven't gone through all the final parts yet like if it will include A pack-in figure or not. Either way it won't have 3.

FAO is offering the Shuttle without knowing much about it because they want to sell it for as much as they can to take advantage of people who have wanted it and will pay anything no matter what. First they were offering it because they wanted to see if they could get away with the $125, people took the bait and now that's the prices they're keeping.

And how do we know that it won't have three? HMMM? I've seen nothing that confirm's or denies...as you said yourself FAO dowes not know much about it and Hasbro is in denial...so where does this leave us?

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 03:32 AM
Cause it'd be twice the price for something so good. :D

Seriously, it's highly doubtful Hasbro would make 3 pack-in figures for a single ship that is an exclusive and will have a limited number made.

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 03:38 AM
Pure speculation...I need something concrete...I think we deserve it...

This is why I am not making any statements until I see it...

Hey you never know....

CooLJoE
06-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Ummm, cost of living, decrease in dollar value, etc, still would not near justify charging $125 for a gutted 1984 toy that was priced at $37.99. I don't care how much math or technical terms you throw into a sentence, it won't justify it.

Lets look at it this way. Candy bar then = ~0.40 (guessing, i was young in those days, but old enough to get candy bars :) ), candy bar now = ~0.55 maybe ~0.60 (depends where you live). Thats a 1/4 increase. So $38 * 1.25 = $47.50. Oops, your right, thats right next to $125.

Sorry, but the cost of living hasn't increased 300%. If your wondering where 300% comes from, try dividing $125 from $38. That is the percentage increase from $38 to $125. The figures themselves haven't even increased in price that much. And the vehicles comparitively have actually dropped in price. Shuttle then, $38, Slave-1 now, $30. Hell the Slave-1 is dropping in price. So like I said, $125 is not near justifiable.

CooLJoE
06-04-2002, 04:24 AM
By the way, if your going to factor in cost of living and such, you need to factor in the increase in minimum wage and average job salary.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 05:01 AM
Another way to look at the inflation argument. The Millenium Falcon premiered in 1979 at $24.77. It was re-released 16 years later, in 1995, at $49.99.

Here is the Sears Catalog Falcon write-up:

Catalog Description:
(15) Star Wars Millennium Falcon Spaceship. Use with mini-figures (not incl.). Battle alert sound, landing gear folds up. Cockpit canopy opens. Entrance ramp folds down. Radar dish swivels 360 degrees. Rear deck area lifts off to expose laser gun with seat that swivels 360 degrees and "clicks." Game table. Secret floor panel. Remote force ball for Light Saber practice. 17x6x23 in. Plastic. Ages 5 yrs and up.
ORDER INFO: Unassembled. Uses 2 "C" batteries, order pkg. below.
79C59472C--Shipping weight 3 lbs. 12 oz...$24.77

Source: 1979 Sears Wish Book

That is an increase of around 200%, which includes a new set of stickers, a paint job AND four new electronic sounds AND two sets of lights. The only accessory from the vintage release it is missing is the Jedi Training Ball.

The vintage Shuttle was released in 1984 and is scheduled to be re-released in Dec 2002. 18 years later. It's mark-up is over 312% This suggests that inflation has jumped 112% in the last seven years, since 1995.

Using that model SW action figures cost under $5 in 1995, thus at 112% inflation they should cost $5.60 now. :confused:

Action figures actually cost $5.88, which means that inflation in action figures has actually jumped 117% since 1995. Thus a Shuttle with at least all the features of the vintage version (electronics) should actually cost around $127.

Dang, unless my math is all screwed up, I proved myself wrong again.:frus: Well the Shuttle is a really big vehicle (taller than the AT-AT), so maybe it is somewhat justified as long as it has some kind of electronics, a pack-in and a less fragile ratchet system for lowering the wings. However, if it has no electronics and uses the same crappy ratchet system then it should not cost that much.

Someone please tell me that my math is wrong.:(

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 10:19 AM
I was never good at match but figures and vehicles are way different. Hasbro has said tools for vehicles cost differently than the ones for the figures, so they can stand alone.

Also remember, Freeze Frames through Preview figs the prices went up from the original POTF2 amount and then back down with the Saga line.

aikman
06-04-2002, 03:08 PM
So you guys have ordered the shuttle for $125 but dont even know what it is yet?
Dont know about electronics/pack ins?

Price was enough to keep me away but there are far too many question marks that still exist for me to justify blindly giving my credit card to those fao people.

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 03:10 PM
Hey Cool Joe, you cant compare price increases in completly unrelated products. Movie tickets have nearly tripled since the shuttle was made. Using CoolJoe's flawed logic, that means that the shuttle can be trippled. Im sorry but no.
big barada, your math numbers are correct but when measuring inflation, you use percents but only percent increase. Meaning that 112% inflation is like saying that what cost me $100 then costs me $212 now. Im not in the toy buisness but i do know that chanis like FAO and KB make money by charging more and selling less. Apparently, it works. TRU, Target, and Wal Mart make money by selling more and charging less. On average every dollar you spend a wal mart, they make 4-6 cents on depending on the item.

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 03:12 PM
If i dont like mine, im going to send it back, and ask for my shipping and handling back. If i dont get it, ill tell my credit card company that it was a mistake on their part and instead of FAO having to deal with me, they have to deal with my blood sucking credit card company.

RooJay
06-04-2002, 04:38 PM
Another way to look at the inflation argument. The Millenium Falcon premiered in 1979 at $24.77. It was re-released 16 years later, in 1995, at $49.99.

Actually, looking at those numbers you can see that the Millenium Falcon DOUBLED in price from it's original release in the 70's to it's re-release in the 90's. Using that line of reasoning the Shuttle should also have no more than doubled in price (keeping in mind that it was released much later than the Falcon AND during much better economic conditions) from it's original release from $40 to $80. When you also figure that we will more than likely be offered a stripped down version of the original the price should be even lower in my opinion.

To Mnkyskater, even if they were to "redesign", or retool the Shuttle slightly, as they have one with previous reissued vintage there would be no "royalties" to pay to any designer. Any royalties for this particular design would have already been payed to Lucasfilm just for the ability to produce the Shuttle. Adding new sculpting features would not constitute a redesign. The Shuttle was already designed by Lucasfilm.

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Yeah, mainly just the interior would be going to the original artist, but the insides were small because they had to house the features so if it's gutted out, it would be stupid to not change the interior. 'Course it is Hasbro...

Mnkyskater
06-04-2002, 06:08 PM
Im pretty sure that if changes are made to the interior of the shuttle, the sculptor get royalties. Ofcourse if those changes are very minute, they will maybe get a fraction of a cent for every one sold. I would think that even thought the shuttle is property of LucasArts, someone has to design it to make it, for lack of a better word, 'jive' with the figures. Im sure that the original artist would get some kind of royalties. After all, the vehicle is based on his work.

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Mnkyskater
... someone has to design it to make it, for lack of a better word, 'jive' with the figures.

I have seen nothing in the latest line of Hasbro Star Wars vehicles that shows Hasbro's intention to 'jive' with the figures...

Hell the figures don't 'jive' with the figures...

Want my vote...beef the electronics so there is excellent sound...use the body of the ship to make authentic landing gear retract....

Now that would be worth it!

JediJeff77
06-05-2002, 12:26 AM
I don't care if it has electronics or not, but it would be a nice bonus. I have regretted getting rid of my old shuttle when I thought I outgrew toys many years ago.

The price is a bit high, but I don't really care about that. It's either buy it from FAO or buy it on ebay and I guarantee you it will be REALLY high on there.

I don't see why some people are saying it's a gutted out vintage shuttle. Nothing is confirmed about the shuttle yet. For all we know, it could be all new. I doubt it, but it's possible.

I was very happy with the new At-At, so I'm sure they will do the Shuttle justice. If not, I'm sure I will still like it enough to keep it. Let's just hope it doesn't have flimsy parts like the new At-St does, mine will barely stand now. :(

-J