PDA

View Full Version : The new Ki figure

A'Sharad Hett
05-29-2002, 07:14 PM
When can we expect the new Ki-Adi-Mundi figure? I don't think he's tha far down the line from Palpatine and Puhr. Is thre a release date yet or do we just have to speculate?

The True Maul
05-29-2002, 09:19 PM
He is set to come out in late or early August.

Sidiously Darth
05-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Looking at the image in the picture archives, besides the elbow joint, his pose is the same as the Ep. I figure. That's a bit of a disappointment.:(

Beast
05-29-2002, 10:33 PM
Not really Sidiously Darth. The E1 figure was in more of an action pose, perfect for the arena. And this version is in a more static pose. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

A'Sharad Hett
05-29-2002, 11:10 PM
And the EP1 Ki came with a PURPLE lightsaber.... the way it should be. :)

dirtybones
05-30-2002, 12:27 PM
He looks great in my arena battle diorama.

pthfnder89
05-30-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
Looking at the image in the picture archives, besides the elbow joint, his pose is the same as the Ep. I figure. That's a bit of a disappointment.:(

It looks like the wrist on his swinging arm also has a joint, so that should help differentiate him a bit.

Oddly enough, I think the Arena Battle Ki Adi is for some reason standing straight, while the normal Ep1 Ki Adi was stepping forward like he was ready to fight. :confused: odd...

RooJay
05-31-2002, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Not really Sidiously Darth. The E1 figure was in more of an action pose, perfect for the arena. And this version is in a more static pose. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

:confused: I never considered my Ep. 1 Ki-Adi figure to be in any kind of action pose besides just hangin' around. Am I missing something?

I'm a bit disappointed in the new figure. He looks an awful lot like the old one to me. I was hoping for a pose more along the lines of the Nikto Jedi, Arena Saesee Tiin, and Arena Plo Koon. His sculpt even seems less accurate and realistic to me. I'm hoping the pic we've seen so far is just an early prototype customized using the old figure.

Lman316
06-01-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by RooJay

:confused: I never considered my Ep. 1 Ki-Adi figure to be in any kind of action pose besides just hangin' around. Am I missing something?

I'm a bit disappointed in the new figure. He looks an awful lot like the old one to me. I was hoping for a pose more along the lines of the Nikto Jedi, Arena Saesee Tiin, and Arena Plo Koon. His sculpt even seems less accurate and realistic to me. I'm hoping the pic we've seen so far is just an early prototype customized using the old figure.

Originally posted by Sidiously Darth

Looking at the image in the picture archives, besides the elbow joint, his pose is the same as the Ep. I figure. That's a bit of a disappointment.

I'm in total agreement with these two statments. I wanted a new Ki-Adi too, but this just really looks too much like the Episode 1 figure. I'm hoping that RooJay is right and the picture is just of a prototype......but have we really ever been that lucky?

And the Episode 1 version doesn't really look action posed to me. The only way I could get him to look that way was by turning his torso, and even then, he still looked pretty normal.

End.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Maybe it's just a prototype. Remember on the early POTJ cards, the Jedi Obi-Wan was the EI Jedi Knight Obi-Wan. He then had a green lightsaber on later cards. It's probably the final one, but one can hope.
On another note, it's probably modeled after the scene where he ignites his saber and just stands there. Cuz my god, what else did he do in the Arena but get captured and deflect shots from the Gunship? Some other figures are from their "ignition" scenes, like Luminara and Shaak Ti, and I think Aayla Secura is the same way.

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 05:00 PM
I know Luminara is, you can see her actually stretch her left arm out and put her hand the same way her figure has it.

POTJ Jedi Obi was actually supposed to be cloaked Obi with hood up from earlier in the movie but a mix-up happened at the factory and the Obi was packed with Qui-Gon lightsabers instead of his blue ones so they didn't need to correct it or anything since it just says "Jedi" on it and I guess they left it to us to come up with an excuse for it.

Another thing about that Obi is it was supposed to be "kicking" Obi-Wan, when it came out and would show up in the computer at stores if you looked at your reciepts it would say kicking obi wan as the name of the figure.

saladin
06-02-2002, 02:14 AM
i don't care what he looks like i'm just trying to make a whole jedi army

maulreborn
06-02-2002, 08:16 PM
The new Ki is totally unnecesary since EP1 can be used for the Arena. It would be better a sitting Ki. But Hasbro enjoy making totally unnecesary figures and repeating again and again the same characters in similar poses instead of making unrealeased figures.

Beast
06-02-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by maulreborn
The new Ki is totally unnecesary since EP1 can be used for the Arena. It would be better a sitting Ki. But Hasbro enjoy making totally unnecesary figures and repeating again and again the same characters in similar poses instead of making unrealeased figures.
You mean the E1 figure from over 3 years ago? Remember 3 years is alot of time, and there are kids now that loved Episode II that didn't care about figures like Ki-Adi-Mundi back then. And not every parent wants to buy their kid a 3 year old figure off ebay. Hasbro wants to make everyone happy, so give them a break on a new Ki-Adi-Mundi. There is no real reason to complain about this. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-02-2002, 08:33 PM
If you don't want it, don't get it. Actually you could him in a gunship if he's got a neutral stance, remember he was pretty at ease when they showed him in the gunship.

mark2d2
06-02-2002, 09:08 PM
JJB, I seriously doubt that the kids out there are all just clamouring for a Ki figure . . .

IMOP -- this guy is a huge waste of plastic. Nevermind that the Episode I fig was a HUGE pegwarmer out here in LA --- but this character is just flat out lame! He looks like a rejected conehead design from Saturday Night Live. I hate the fact that Hasbro crams this &*%! down our throats and I still can't get my R5-D4. Enough!!!

Beast
06-02-2002, 09:15 PM
Mark2d2, someone else could feel the same way about R5-D4. So, don't jump on Hasbro for making a figure of a charecter that hasn't had a figure since 1999. Not to mention the sculpting on his head and his uniform is a vast improvment, and he now comes with the correct lightsaber. Plus the E1 figure has one leg leading infront of the other, more in an action pose. The new E2 figure, has a more basic stance. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

A'Sharad Hett
06-02-2002, 11:23 PM
I agree Jar Jar, some people may feel the same way about droid figures, I for one could care less about R5-D4. Is that the one that just came out with the Teebo wave? I dont know, but either way, I'd rather have a legion of Jedi than a legion of droids.

mark2d2
06-03-2002, 03:37 AM
I still say Ki is a waste. I'd rather get a decent Padme. I just don't see why we're getting another Ki. He seems redundant.

The R5-D4 anology is way off base -- because we never did get a decent R5-D4 figure. And Ki was just out three years ago. The movement of a leg just really doesn't do it for me. Resculpts that are that minimal are pointless IMOP. Whatever. Yet another figure I won't buy.

Beast
06-03-2002, 03:41 AM
Exactly, you don't like the figure don't buy it. It leaves some for people that do want a new and better Ki-Ad-Mundi. And it's not a pointless rescult to many people, since he is getting the correct color lightsaber. Just like R5-D4 would get a correct figure resculpt.

I could understand if this was like the 4th or 5th version, that you were complaining. But you should just be happy that the figure is wanted by others, even if you don't want it yourself. I am sure there will be figures coming that you want, that other people will find pointless. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-03-2002, 05:47 AM
I think kids will find him interesting - he's another Jedi to put up against Battle Droids, Super BDs, Geonosians, Dooku and the upcoming Droideka.