PDA

View Full Version : New Lightsaber Colors !!!!!????

Darth Diablo
05-29-2002, 10:36 PM
Okay, I am not sure if this has already been discussed in previous threads, as I am brand new to these forums. So if it has been discussed, I apologize for over-discussing this subject. This is something that is really making me wonder though. You may have all noticed by now that in AOTC, all Jedi's with the exception of Mace Windu (he's gotta be special! he's SHAFT!), have either green or blue lightsabers. I still believe that Green signifies Experienced Jedi Knight or Master, i.e. Ki Adi and Yo-Yo-Yo-Yo-Yoda, and blue signifies Padawan, or inexperienced Knight, i.e. Whiny Anakin and Obi Wan (THE MAN). I personally think this is an excellent idea, and i compliment Georgie boy if this was his intention. HOWEVER, what bothers me is that the majority of EPISODE 1 figures have different colored lightsabers. For example, the following Episode 1 figures have the following colors: Saesee Tinn (purple with Black Hilt), Plo Koon (Yellow), and Ki Adi Mundi (i believe purple also?). HOWEVER, in AOTC, Plo Koon has a blue Saber, Saesee has a green Saber, and Ki Adi has a green Saber. Yes, my FOURTH viewing of AOTC consisted of me looking for small little anal details (I am very anal obviously). Their respective AOTC FIGURES also have the new color sabers. SO, my question is, WHY the heck did they not have these same colored sabers on the Episode 1 figures??? Please respond and give me your ideas and or input. Or just tell me that I am too anal, and need to just deal with it. Maybe I am just very upset because the Colorado Avalanche are currently losing against the Red Wings in Game 6. I hate the Red Wings. Almost as much as I have hated some of the nonsensical dialogue in TPM and AOTC. What was Georgie thinking when Anakin said, "This is Jedi business, go back to your drinks!" Are Jedi's supposed to be Intergalactic Police Officers or something? What a STUPID line!! Ok, you have listened to me ramble long enough. Adios mis amigos y amigas! ~ Darth Diablo (aka Darth Diatribe {aka Donnie Darko])

JON9000
05-29-2002, 10:53 PM
I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge-

Sam Jackson requested that his blade be purple and unique so he could spot himself in the long shots. Sam is a huge SW freak, and if I were lucky enough to be a Jedi in a movie, I would want to know where I am at all times too!

That explains why the other characters had theirs changed for AOTC. I don't think anyone was thinking about it at the time the Ep I figures came out.

On the dialog- George has been known to have some corny lines- for example:

Ha! See you later Indiana JONES!
Hey Luke- May the Force be with you.

Actually the Jedi seem to fill the role of local peace keeper/diplomat. I think this particular line was used to show that citizens of the republic recognize jedi authority- definitely not his worst.

And on a final note- GO HURRICANES!!!

A'Sharad Hett
05-29-2002, 11:03 PM
I don really understand why it was so difficult for George to just keep with EU and figures by just making the Jedi have saber colors they already had, like Ki, his was purple, in the toys, comics, even in pictures of the actor w/ his saber. Same with Plo (yellow). I mean ,I know George doesn't really go with EU, but is it that much trouble for someone to lean over and say, um Mr. Lucus, his/her saber has been this color in comics, toys, and video games since EP1. I was really mad when I saw th large army of Jedi running on the arena floor and all of them had either blue or green sabers. Minor problem, but it still bothers me.

ScarletX
05-30-2002, 12:24 AM
Along those lines..... Any reason the Sith sabers are red? Or is it just easier to identify bad guys with their black outfits and red sabers... :)

LTBasker
05-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Probably it's just easier to identify them like that. Personally I'm still waiting for a black lightsaber which would be possible and would be equally as menacing as a sith considering they use crystals for their lightsaber to focus the beam which also determines the color of the lightsaber and for a black saber they would most likely need a black qaurtz crystal (it is quartz right? That is formed near volcanos?).

Laserbrain
05-30-2002, 01:02 AM
Ya know, I really like the broad range of topics around here...

I had this theory about the colors of sabers that still holds up to an extent. It wasn't directly contradicted by AOTC, but Anakin's actions brings it into question. Excluding Mace Windu, of course ;)

I noticed that the green sabers were the only color (besides red) used with intent to kill a being. Luke kills Vader in ROTJ, and Obi-Wan hacked up Maul in TMP with Qui-Gon's saber. I figured green represented of the cycle of life, in this case, the instrument used to keep the Force in balance.

Blue is recognized as neutral, peaceful, ect., and blue sabers have only been used in defensive strikes. Note that Obi-Wanís dismemberments havenít been fatal. In AOTC when Anakin slaughters the sandpeople, I don't think this action totally discounts the theory because Anakin misused his weapon.

Red is self-explanatory, representitive of anger, aggressiveness, evil, yadda, yadda...

Whether this is GL's intention or not remains to be seen...

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 01:21 AM
Hmmm, interesting theory. I don't think GL put that much thought into it or Sam Jackson wouldn't have convinced him to give him a purple saber so easily. But it is a very intriguing observation.

Jayspawn
05-30-2002, 01:24 AM
Personally I think the lightsaber blades are the color of the Jedi's choice. If Anakin like blue then ok. If Darth Vader likes red to match his cape alright. If Mace Windu wants a purple blade then fine. I think thats how it goes. I don't think the color of the blade says how good of a Jedi you are. That sounds absurd.

misthunter210
05-30-2002, 01:30 AM
We know in both trilogys that jedi lose there lightsabers left and right. Couldnt some of the jedi lost or damaged there lightsabers during the 10 years since Episode 1.

therock0603
05-30-2002, 01:31 AM
well I don't know about that whole padawan-blue and master-green. Cause Plo Koon E2 toy has a blue, but the package of the POTJ figure says Jedi Master. Hmmm....oh well.

Croaker
05-30-2002, 10:29 AM
The visual dictionary says something about the crystals.
Jedi use crystal that the make (cause to form) naturally for their sabres. These come out blue or green.
The sith use artificial crystals, for the slight strength advantage that this provides, and they turn out red.

If we remember the commercials they said 'crystal lightsaber' for obi wan and Ani.
It said 'electrum lightsabre' Mace. This is why his is purple.

Interesting explanations.
Only GL knows for sure and I don't think that he's giving it that much thought.

As to the explanations above, some good ideas but it really seems liek reading too much into it.

evenflow
05-30-2002, 11:11 AM
I liked the idea of having different color sabers, hopefull we get some EU Jedi with cooler colors.

JEDIpartner
05-30-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm fine with green, blue and red... oh, and "Mace" purple. Too many other colours and it looks like a mess.

pthfnder89
05-30-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
I'm fine with green, blue and red... oh, and "Mace" purple. Too many other colours and it looks like a mess.

Yeah, I'm glad that Lucas finally settled different colors deal.

I don't think (just my opinion) that the green and blue sabers actually signify any difference between the Jedi. I think they are simply the two colors that the Jedi use, whereas the Sith use red. Just sort of the way things are, and a way for Lucas to easily differentiate the two sides on screen.

Remember that in general, Lucas likes to make good guys obviously good, and bad guys obviously bad, just like in the old Sci Fi TV serials. That's kind of clouded in AOTC, but he does it a lot.

I like just using the two colors and I'm glad he finally made a stand about it.

Beast
05-30-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Croaker
If we remember the commercials they said 'crystal lightsaber' for obi wan and Ani. It said 'electrum lightsabre' Mace. This is why his is purple.
Actually, his lightsaber is a crystal lightsaber also. Electrum is only refering to the gold electrum plating on the hilt. Only the head of the Jedi Council is allowed to have electrum detailing on his hilt. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Taichi
05-30-2002, 02:04 PM
A black lightsaber would be impossible, since black does not allow light to pass through.....

that being said, there IS a volcanic glass, called OBSIDIAN, this is black in color, but still allows light to pass through, in a smoky grey color.....

so it would be possible to have a 'black' blade with a smoky grey 'glow' to it......

:D

Runobot
05-30-2002, 02:27 PM
First off, lets not consider the expanded universe or toys, they are not cannon. Only things that GL say hold true for me. All else is just for fun...

The blue = padawan green = master thing is what I thought also. I would like to see some rationale behind the differences.

However, then I remembered ANH and OBi-wan had a blue blade. Maybe he was demoted from master after Vader turned to the dark side??

Most likely it seems there is no rationale to the color though.

Casual George
05-30-2002, 02:44 PM
It's all based on simplifying the visual effects for ILM. George never have to address saber colors proper until this film because they're were never so many Jedi in combat before. It was done to make things easier to keep up with: thus good Jedi get either blue or green and dark Jedi get red. On the color issue I do believe GL was very aware of what they portrayed. Green and blue are cool, soothing, calm colors. Red denotes agitation, anger and hatred.

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 03:28 PM
Remember too why GL picked a green sabre for Luke in ROTJ: so the color would show up well against the blue sky during the Sail Barge escape sequence. I really think you guys are overanalyzing the whole thing, which is fine if you want to explore theories, but in reality it's not as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Runobot
05-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Plus Green and red are complimentary colors. Meaning they look cool fighting against each other!

ScarletX
05-30-2002, 08:24 PM
I agree with Forhekset. I don't think there is much to the lightsaber color thing, probably an individual taste thing, within the confines of the Jedi use non-red and the Sith use red.

Runobot - they do look cool against each other don't they? red on red or like vs. like just wouldn't cut it, huh?

Chaddymac
05-30-2002, 09:13 PM
I was under the impression that the term "Jedi Master" was used for anyone who has had the honor of training a Padawan lerner. "Jedi Knight" was for all the other ful-fledged Jedi, and "Padawan" for those still in training.

Just wondering if I had that right.

Dar' Argol
05-30-2002, 09:17 PM
This might shed some light on the whole color deal. This comes straight from the databank at starwars.com:

Lightsabers have changed little in the thousands of years of their employ by the Jedi Knights. Those who believe the Jedi order began on the ancient world of Ossus point to the abundance of Adegan crystals in the system as proof. These crystals are ideal for the creation of lightsabers, as they focus the energy released from a saber's power cell into the tight, blade-like beam. Early lightsabers did not have self-contained power cells, and were instead connected by a conducting cable to a belt-worn power pack.

Once unleashed, the power channels through a positively charged continuous energy lens at the center of the handle. The beam then arcs circumferentially back to a negatively charged high energy flux aperture. A superconductor transfers the power from the flux aperture to the power cell. As a result, a lightsaber only expends power when its blade cuts through something. So efficient is the blade, that it does not radiate heat unless it comes into contact with something.

The blade's color depends on the nature of the jewel it springs from, and while its length is fixed in the case of a single jewel lightsaber, lightsabers equipped with multiple crystals can have their length varied by rotating a knob that allows the focusing crystal activator to subtly modify the refraction pattern between the gems.

The Sith on the other hand all have red saber because of the process involded in making their crystals:

Unlike the Jedi, who use natural crystals mined from such worlds as Ossus in the Adega system, the Sith prefer synthetic crystals to generate their lightsaber blades. While the crystals are being forged in a blazing furnace, it is not uncommon for a Sith to reach out with the Force and manipulate the process, focusing his hatred for the Jedi to increase the potency of the crystals.

So hopefully this is an answer. I have read in several novels about many different colors. So it all depends on the color of the crystal used.

HAK
05-30-2002, 09:34 PM
hello all i didnt read the complete post so this may have been covered but according to the visual dictionary and some other sources the blade colors have to do with the crystals used and the manner in wich they are fashioned- hopefully this will help:

blue blades- made in classic jedi fashion using true crystals fashioned by way of the force- these sabers are intended for defensive use as they are more agile and easier to handle but less powerful than a red sith blade

green blades- these are jedi weapons fashioned by synthetic crystals not the traditional crystals- these are used for power as opposed to the defense purpose of the blue sabers

red blades- these blades are produced by synthetic crystals and fashioned by way of the dark side of the force- these sabers are intended for maximum power and not as agile as other sabers

hope that helps some- im not sure about the purple or other bladed sabers :)

MikeAndTheBots
05-30-2002, 09:35 PM
For the whole blue = learner, green = master/knight:
The kids Yoda was teaching had both green and blue sabers so i think it's jsut personal choice on the jedi's behalf.

RooJay
05-31-2002, 01:23 AM
Whatever the reasoning behind lightsaber coloration, I for one was a bit disappointed to learn that Uncle George has decided against a greater range of lightsaber colors.:( I always thought it was really cool to think that each Jedi would get to build his lightsaber to whatever color he wanted. Now it appears as though they only get to choose between green and blue, otherwise they have to turn to the Dark Side to have a red blade, or wait until Mace Windu keels over and ascend to his position in the order to have a purple blade! Bummer.

Of course it's still possible that we may find out that those Jedi who were assigned to the Jedi Temple (the guys who ended up on Geonosis) are expected to have either green or blue as a show of loyalty to the Jedi order (kinda like the Jedi equivalent of a Sheriff's badge!), and free range Jedi can make any lightsaber color they want(?!). :happy: :crazed:

...wishful thinking.:rolleyes:

SWAFMAN
06-01-2002, 12:06 AM
GO RED WINGS!!!!!!

ROY WHO??????!!!!!

Laserbrain
06-01-2002, 05:38 AM
So what we got so far...

blue blades- defensive

green blades- not so defensive

red blades- anything but defensive

Anyone remeber that scene after Obi-Wan and Anakin lost their original sabers, the Jedi in the arena threw them a couple new ones? I know they only had two colors to choose from but still, what are the odds that they'd get sabers of the same color as the ones they lost...

It's gotta be a purely character thing, I think...the type of blade reflects the type of Jedi...well, maybe not purely...I can see synthetic crystals being used by some Jedi for green sabers and not detracting too much...

One more thing...the issue of balance is always mentioned. If you ever thought about it, a lightsaber might not seem like much to hold and swing around, being made of light and a little metal rod and all. The blades actually make contact with air molecules and slice through them, making the humVOOOM sound.

So if you go up against a Sith Lord and your saber isn't balanced right, if it sludges through the air making you slow to react, yer bugsquat...

Croaker
06-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Free Range Jedi
That's amusing.

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 11:23 AM
I think GL had Obi-Wan kill Maul with Qui's green saber just to connect to ROTJ of Luke using a green saber to chop off Vader's hand.

N-2PF
06-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Red is the color of fire. Blue and green is water. Blue/green against blue/green will malfunction. So the Sith choose red to fight against the Jedi. The Jedi choose blue/green to show they will not fight each other. Big boss Jedi Mace has purple to demonstrate his power (ability to fight) over the other Jedi.

Hydralisk
06-01-2002, 09:53 PM
If Hasbro wanted to be really good to us for a change, they could release an accessory pack with the standard three blade colors as well as yellow, purple and orange. With the new removable blades, you could mix and match to your heart's desire.

pthfnder89
06-01-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF
Red is the color of fire. Blue and green is water. Blue/green against blue/green will malfunction. So the Sith choose red to fight against the Jedi. The Jedi choose blue/green to show they will not fight each other. Big boss Jedi Mace has purple to demonstrate his power (ability to fight) over the other Jedi.

Um, I'm not sure where you got that N-2PF. Blue and Green sabers react against each other just as they do against a Red Sith lightsaber. The Jedi train against each other constantly with their own sabers in order to hone their dueling skills.

pthfnder89
06-01-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Laserbrain

Anyone remeber that scene after Obi-Wan and Anakin lost their original sabers, the Jedi in the arena threw them a couple new ones? I know they only had two colors to choose from but still, what are the odds that they'd get sabers of the same color as the ones they lost...

They didn't actually. Obi Wan and Anakin both had blue lightsabers originally. When they got the new ones in the Arena, Obi Wans was still blue, but Anakin got a green one.

So it was pretty much luck of the draw.:)

Dar' Argol
06-01-2002, 10:22 PM
The colors of the blades, besides red sith blades, meand nothing!! It all depends on the crystal used. There is no ranking in regards to color or defensive, non-defensive. As part of their training Padawans build their own lightsabers and stick in the color gem of their choice. The real trick is if the Lightsaber was assembled incorrectly it will self destruct upon first activation, taking the hand and half the arm of the holder. So you better get it right the first time!! But color means nothing!

RooJay
06-03-2002, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Taichi
A black lightsaber would be impossible, since black does not allow light to pass through.....

that being said, there IS a volcanic glass, called OBSIDIAN, this is black in color, but still allows light to pass through, in a smoky grey color.....

so it would be possible to have a 'black' blade with a smoky grey 'glow' to it......

:D

Sounds cool in theory, but light filtered through obsidian is very diluted. I doubt it could be said that that kind of light could be intense enough to make a functioning lightsaber. Star Wars IS a fantasy though...

N-2PF
06-09-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Blue and Green sabers react against each other just as they do against a Red Sith lightsaber. The Jedi train against each other constantly with their own sabers in order to hone their dueling skills.

This is EU-Fantasy. In the movies they train against little white ball droids.

Beast
06-09-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF
This is EU-Fantasy. In the movies they train against little white ball droids.
That's only for training the younglings, so they don't chop off an arm or a leg or kill each other on accident. I am sure that they train against each other as well, later on. It just hasn't been seen on screen. The seeker balls would only be good, to learn to deflect blaster shots. It's a whole different technique, actually dueling someone. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 06:17 PM
Reflecting blaster bolts and dueling against another force-user with a lightsaber are highly different. :D

Perhaps when that one Jedi through Obi and Ani those sabers, he knew Obi favored blue (or at least seemed to considering he's only had blue sabers and has only used a green to kill Maul) but of course didn't give fig about what Ani's favored color was. ;)

I agree with Hydralisk's idea, the thing is though that not all the peg lengths or widths are the same so it would be hard to make the new blades compatible with all the saber hilts.

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-09-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
GO RED WINGS!!!!!!

ROY WHO??????!!!!!

Thems fighting words.....

Paul-Kenobi
06-10-2002, 02:16 AM
for Lightsaber Combat the Padawan could lower the Blade stranth so that when he dose fight he wouldnt cut off his masters arm head or stab him in the chest.

As for Blue Green thing there is no ranking what soever about it Anakin had a green saber but was not a master alot of younglings had green sabers but where younglings.

Though in Episode III i have a feeling Obi-Wan and Anakin are gona duel with blue and green.

Darth Annexis
06-10-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Runobot
First off, lets not consider the expanded universe or toys, they are not cannon. Only things that GL say hold true for me. All else is just for fun...

The blue = padawan green = master thing is what I thought also. I would like to see some rationale behind the differences.

However, then I remembered ANH and OBi-wan had a blue blade. Maybe he was demoted from master after Vader turned to the dark side??

Most likely it seems there is no rationale to the color though.

Obi-wan was not demoted....he was the only jedi left as far as we knew in ANH...Yoda was not in the picture and did not carry a light saber until AOTC...If anything he would carry a blue saber to signify he has steped down...Obi-wan does not refer to himself as a Master Jedi...

Darth Annexis
06-10-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
For the whole blue = learner, green = master/knight:
The kids Yoda was teaching had both green and blue sabers so i think it's jsut personal choice on the jedi's behalf.

VERY GOOD POINT...CASE CLOSED AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED!

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker

I agree with Hydralisk's idea, the thing is though that not all the peg lengths or widths are the same so it would be hard to make the new blades compatible with all the saber hilts.

Good point LTB. Almost all of the saber so far have different peg lengths and widths, epescially the metal hilted ones. And on Anakins blue saber the blade is actually sculpted at a slant on the bottom to fit his hilt correctly.