PDA

View Full Version : Scalping goes to NEW low...

Darth Narcis
05-30-2002, 12:36 AM
Today I was looking through several stores in my town for a few of the new "harder-to-find figures", dooku, yoda, qui-gon, etc. I went everywhere and found nothing.(im in NC) Finally, i went to toysrus, and at first glance, i saw nothing worth mention. But, upon digging through one of the deep figure bins, i uncovered, buried at the bottom or a bin, the bespin wave of figs, including 1 bloody luke & 3 vaders, some windus, and there were several dookus, etc... Problem was, they all had tears and rips in their packaging. All of them. I was thinking a scapler (s) must have taken all of the lot but the ones i found, because of their damaged packaging. However, to my surprise, upon looking across the bins, i saw a man with a 1/2 cart full of newer figs already in his cart pull up, apparently he had gotten to them right before me, even though i got to the store soon after it opened. To my surprise, after he had gotten the ones he wanted sorted out, he began to make creases in the figures he wasnt getting, making sure to damage the packing of at least 5 or 6 new figures! One by one he'd bend the bubble or make a little tear in the card. I had never seen anything like it, scalping is one thing, but damaging the procduct so no one else can enjoy it is even worse. Basically, this guy had gotten to the store when it opened, taken all the good stuff, and the good stuff that he couldnt afford, he damaged. My girlfriend saw him and told the store manager, but she still let him buy everything. Worst part is, 2 little kids came in with their mom about 5 minutes later, looking for yoda, but all the yodas were taken by the fat 30ish guy already. I think their should be a limit to the number of indentical figures a single person can buy, and guys like the one i saw today shouldnt be allowed to get anything.

DarthBrandon
05-30-2002, 12:49 AM
Somebody should take this freak out yonder and put him down.

jad
05-30-2002, 12:54 AM
Jeeze, that is a new low. I totally agree with the limit on figures. I mean if you wanted to buy a bunch of battledroids or clones for an army you could just come back and buy more. That yoda deal you were talking about especially irritates me because I haven't been able to find one for quite some time. In fact i've never looked so hard for a figure. This is just absurd. Stupid scalpers!

figrin bran
05-30-2002, 12:59 AM
Perhaps you could call the TRU Corporate number to report this incident?

I've witnessed inadvertent damage...i.e. figures falling out of overflowing pegwarmer bins and the cards end up dinged but i've never heard of anything like that.

yukface27
05-30-2002, 02:09 AM
I really don't get scalpers, really. I mean, yeah, they make some money off the figures they get, but it can't be THAT much. I've never really had any problems with finding any particular figure I wanted (except for the last of the POTJ, I want a Paploo). I live up in Washington and it seems that we are very plentiful with figures. I've never really had any problems with scalpers that much either. There were a few when TPM figures hit, but they weren't too bad. That dude you were talking about, man, he deserves a good whooping. Doing crap like that is uncalled for. I open my figs, but I can see where it must suck for the guys who don't open theres. Besides, snatching up all the same figs leaves the wee little kids out and that's a big load of BS. Man, when I was a kid, and if I saw someone doing that scalping crap, I would be devastated.

CaptainSolo1138
05-30-2002, 02:36 AM
I read in an issue of ToyFare a couple years ago that a Target store was using a hole punch on the corner of every figure to detere hoarding/scalping. Since I open all of my stuff, I think this is a great idea. Then there are the people like my brother and most of you guys who open one/save one. Granted, you can just get it somewhere else, but in rare cases when you find that one figure you need, I can understand how much this would suck. I think scalpers are the lowest common denominator of human existance. They're people who don't want to leave the sanctity of mommy's basement to get a real job so they just hope to make a quick buck by preying on someone else. I still laugh to myself at the idiot buying a dozen Jango Fett's on 4/23. Hope he's got room for them next to his OPD Ani's! HAW!

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 03:26 AM
I collect primarily loose so stuff like this doesn't affect me at all. However what that guy is doing is just childish. It's the whole, "if I can't have it, no one can!" philosophy. Y'know the stuff that was so prominent in third grade.

Yet, according to scalpers who post on these forums, this is okay; since he's not reeeeaaallly doing anything wrong and we'd all do the same thing if we were in his shoes anyway.:rolleyes:

JediTricks
05-30-2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by CaptainSolo1138
I read in an issue of ToyFare a couple years ago that a Target store was using a hole punch on the corner of every figure to detere hoarding/scalping. Since I open all of my stuff, I think this is a great idea. Then there are the people like my brother and most of you guys who open one/save one. Granted, you can just get it somewhere else, but in rare cases when you find that one figure you need, I can understand how much this would suck. I think scalpers are the lowest common denominator of human existance. They're people who don't want to leave the sanctity of mommy's basement to get a real job so they just hope to make a quick buck by preying on someone else. I still laugh to myself at the idiot buying a dozen Jango Fett's on 4/23. Hope he's got room for them next to his OPD Ani's! HAW! I remember when Target used to do this, I LOVED it because I too open all my figures and the holes they punched weren't in important areas like pictures or text, so it was easier to get "good enough" packaging with hard to find figures. However, there were a lot of vocal carded collectors who made sure this experiment died, I never fully understood why they cared what Target did with Target's merchandise, they could have always bought their product at other stores.

Hey Narcis, I'm surprised these guys bothered mangling the cards. It's against the law, it's defacing the store's property. Even more to the point though, they could just as easily have put the figures deep into those bins WITHOUT creasing and tearing the cards ahead of time, the bins would have taken care of that for them!!! :D

Wonderboy
05-30-2002, 08:31 AM
Oh my God! That is so messed up...I think I would of waited for him in the parking lot and "taken" the figures I needed from him.

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Wonderboy
Oh my God! That is so messed up...I think I would of waited for him in the parking lot and "taken" the figures I needed from him.

Strewth. :mad:

Jedi Drew
05-30-2002, 08:48 AM
That is WRONG what that ***$ did. You just can't go into a store and start to destroy the STORES mechandise. That would be like if you seen a HOT CD that was hard to find and got one for yourself and then started smashing all the jewel cases that they were in so no one else would buy them. I really would of had words with that piece of work. Another question is why is it always the 30ish guys that are marked as sacalpers??? I'm sure that there are alot of 30ish guys that post on here-right???:eek: :eek: I'm 30ish-:D :D :D

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2002, 08:51 AM
Mostly because there are no 11 year old scalpers.

I'm 30-ish also.

Jedi Drew
05-30-2002, 08:56 AM
Well how about 20ish scalpers???:eek: :eek: :eek:

DarthMaulSithLord
05-30-2002, 08:57 AM
Man that just TICKS me off. What a jerk. The store should've done something about that. Don't they know this will cost them money? I open most of my stuff too, but i'd never buy mangled cards (I use them for storage). The store should've said no to the guy and send him out without his stuff.

How low can you go?

:(

sunblind
05-30-2002, 08:57 AM
If I had seen that, I'd a flipped. That's just outragous. Why on earth would you do that. What a real ***$ hole, pardon my japenese but really. Who does this guy think he is?
I think I would have gone into a blind road-rage maddness and would have started beating the ba-gee-bees out his mindless deconstructive ways. Man that gets to me.....rant, rant, rant.....

billfremore
05-30-2002, 08:59 AM
I think we 30-ish types always get the bad rap.
Is the whole scalping thing limited to 30-ishers?
Can we assume once these scalpers turn 40 they'll stop scalping?

Stereotypes hurt everybody you know :cry: ;) :D

sunblind
05-30-2002, 09:04 AM
Oh and I agree with you there DarthMaulSithLord. The store would lose money, right! Who really is gonna buy destroyed cards. I know some of us dont care about the quality of it but mangled?! I dont know about that.

I can see it now...walking down the isle and while watching that jerk tear cards and put dents in the bubbles I start gaining speed with my cart in hand, (full of Olympic Weights weighing 300 pounds altogether) and letting go....haha...and just before it hits target, I'd say, "hey scalper-creep-scumbag" and he'd turn around and wammy!
;) 25 Jedi Master points! ;)

Jonna
05-30-2002, 10:01 AM
I just can not believe that story. What the hell is wrong with people!! I open some figures and keep some MOC and if I saw someone doing what you claim, I think that I would start with the person very loudly so everyone in the store knew that he was doing. It is just pathetic!

pthfnder89
05-30-2002, 11:56 AM
I've heard of people doing this, but thankfully it's not that common. It's really ridiculous too, because it's not like that is going to take away this guys scalping competition. Unless there's some guy that shops at the same TRU that he competes with on a regular basis, bending 5 or 6 figures isn't going to make his mint ones skyrocket in value.

So basically this is just a mean spirited a--hole. :rolleyes:

You know, in the thread a few days ago about 2 guys getting into a fist fight over Jango figures, I said that I would never do something like that over a piece of plastic, no matter how much I wanted it. But if I ever saw a guy doing this, I would absolutely stand up to him. I wouldn't just swing at him or anything, but if the manager didn't want to do something about it, I would simply reach into his basket and bend his as well.

Darth Detori
05-30-2002, 12:27 PM
that's when you pull out the mace, and I'm not talkin' the Windu OR the spray! We're talking swinging spiked ball on a chain!

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 12:42 PM
The fist fight thread had a scalper,a proud scalper at that show up.I'm surprised more people weren't aware of his comments.Go check this guy out!!
Any way,I am not surprised at all.And I'd bet he was doing to get the goat of another scalper not collectors.Pathetic.And I'm 30ish;) and I would be tempted to make this scalper curious if he would see 40ish;

Jason B
05-30-2002, 12:46 PM
yeah, it's pretty bad. I hate it when people take on the "If I can't have it, noone can." my sister for one. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-30-2002, 02:21 PM
As bad as that was, it still isn't as bad as the time I found a scalper putting "bum schmear" on a figure bubble. :dead:

(where's a vomiting icon where you need one?:

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
As bad as that was, it still isn't as bad as the time I found a scalper putting "bum schmear" on a figure bubble. :dead:

(where's a vomiting icon where you need one?:

Eh...that's beyond unscrupulous, that's just plain wrong. :sur:

sith_killer_99
05-30-2002, 04:01 PM
Seen this before, we have!

There was an old thread dedicated to this topic!

It is illegal, and if I see someone doing this I WILL put a stop to it!;)

Jason B
05-30-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

wha?? somene wiped his butt with a fig? :eek: sick, SICK people. :mad:

EDIT: i had to re-think my choice of words. ;)

browndroid
05-30-2002, 04:40 PM
i also collect loose, but i would still be very mad if i saw someone do that:confused:

Cubehead
05-30-2002, 05:50 PM
This is so funny. I just wrote a post in the rebelscum forums on a scenario EXACTLY like this one. However in my experience a fellow collector actually witnessed the crime and called the manager! The manager took one of the damaged cards off of the shelf and confronted mr.scalper no life with it. The scalper said nothing in his defense and the manager told him he was no longer welcom in the store!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! I practiacally cheered!

Jedi Juice
05-30-2002, 10:38 PM
This incident just shows us that some people are ruthless destroyers who screw us collectors every which way possible. Damn the scalp's who take away our toys!

Darth Narcis
05-30-2002, 11:05 PM
I speculated he was in his 30's, that is just how he appeared to me... like some demented toy/comic book store owner out for revenge against everyone who wont pay higher prices than necessary for his items.
This is the first time i have SEEN the mutilation of figures, although i am certain it has happened in my area before. While i cant really make sure of the story, a friend of mine told me that he once witnessed a young FEMALE shopper using a fingernail to scratch at packaging, for no apparent reason. People will do anything to either make sure no one else gets a particular item, or to hike a price. And, if you are a carded figure collector, it is getting harder and harder to find a "9" or "10" of "rare" figures. I mean, the fact that most stores overstock figures to the point where they fall off the pegs and crach to the floor when you go through them, and take into account kids, who dont look for condition, and throw figs around while looking for one. A scalper just makes the problem so much worse.

Darth Narcis
05-30-2002, 11:15 PM
cubehead, i alerted the manager as to what was going on, but all she said to me was that she didnt see him so she didnt know if they had been damaged in some other way, and didnt even say anything to the guy, who was checking out...

Les S
05-30-2002, 11:28 PM
That is sad. :(
Not to go 'off topic' but I have a good story today.
There is a group of us who go out every couple weeks and see if we can find anything new. Today we went into a Toys R Us in Western MA and saw that they had cases of figures on the floor to be put out. The figures 'set up' is right up front facing the service desk. I asked the clerk when they were going to be put out and he said as soon as he had a few minutes. We waited, and waited & finally he asked if we wanted to open the caes and throw them on the shelf for him. We of course agreed and started opening them up. We could sense a few 'scalpers' hovering so we spent a few minutes moving the ones on the shelf into an orderly fashion. Then I opened the cases with waves 3-5 and had a great time filling the shelf with come Dookus, Yodas, Palpetines, Lukes, Vaders etc. We had several families coming in to see if a Yoda was finally there and I was able to point to it and hand it to the kid and it made his day. We, well I guess you could say, 'loitered' for about 45 minutes and had some fun talks with fellow fans. I did get my Palpy and another Massiff but the rest stayed there. The best part about the whole this is the 'scalper' never got his hand on a Yoda because the 4 that were put on the shelf all went to different families looking for Yoda. <G>

Jedi Juice
05-30-2002, 11:31 PM
That's an awesome story! Perhaps tomorrow I will have similiar luck as such, finding Palpatine and Djar Puhr and all.

tagmac
05-30-2002, 11:35 PM
I've got a rather interesting scalper story. A few years ago, I was in the local TRU looking for some of the newer SW figs, and there's a woman in the aisle with two kids and her elderly mother. This woman asked one of the workers about cetain (non-SW) figs that weren't on the shelf, and the worker promptly said "let me check in back," and came out with a couple boxes for this lady to look through. I asked the same worker if they had gotten any more SW figs in, and she INSISTED it was "only what was out." I was PO'd yes, but not too angry. I figured maybe this employee had me pegged as a scalper, and only helped the other woman cuz it involved children. Or so I thought. I felt like saying something to sOMEONE, so I turned to the woman with the kids and mother and said to her "I guess they just don't wanna help me cuz I look like the type of guy who only wants to sell them." To which she responded, with a big smile, "Well, WE ARE!" BOY, did that ever push me over the edge. I immediately left the store, because I knew if I'd stayed, I'd have told off this woman and probably gotten arrested. I couldn't believe it - here I'm thinking the toys were for the kids, and dammit, I'll just bet she brought her kids and mother in to disguise the fact she was a scalper. Meanwhile, I'm just a collector, but being a guy in his twenties, couldn't get help. Needless to say, this is the same TRU that, years later, rarely has anything new until months later, when everyone has it already. I really think they ARE helping the scalpers in this store, and that thbe rumors of the mgrs there buying the stuff to sell to certain scalper friends may very well be more than just rumors.

tagmac
05-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Great story, Les. When I briefly worked for KB years back, I used to do everything I could to help the families with kids, but would even lie that we were sold out when I sensed scalpers were near. Problem was, two of the mgrs there were more interested in hoarding, and often there was no good merchandise left (one mgr let an employee buy 32 Tickle-me-Elmos and four N-64 units right before Christmas that year, which he bragged about selling online - myself and two others who wereoff that night, and who needed one Elmo each, got screwed).

Darth Narcis
05-30-2002, 11:57 PM
++"We could sense a few 'scalpers' hovering"++ Are us collectors beggining to have jedi powers or what? I can also 'sense' scalpers, i can feel them enter a store.

I STRONGLY believe that there are MANAGER-SCALPER relations going on at the tru and a walmart here. I am almost certain.

Adam
05-31-2002, 12:07 AM
My tale is one of betrayel, redemption, and revenge. In my story the scalper has already purchased his toys. But it was I the collector who would have the last laugh...

It was at the Sci-Fi Expo in Plano where I spotted a few new figures that had just been released. There they were! Luke in Stormtrooper disguise and the Jawa two pack! I was overjoyed until I saw the price.. $45 bucks?!(I knew scalping existed but I didn't realise it was this bad.. yet.) I asked the guy selling that if that was the right price. He grinned malevolently and said, "Damn right. You want the both?" To which I responded, "What? I'm not buying this for forty more than what its worth." "That's fine. Someone else eventually will." Then he kinda laughed as I walked off. Half an hour later, I was on the other side of the room and saw that someone else also had the new figures. Even though I knew the price would be outstanding, I went over to check him out. And you know what? He had the same figures. For 2 bucks. I couldn't believe it. I must have checked the cards for 10 mins looking for any kind of fraud. After I bought them, I asked the guy selling them why they were so cheap. "Don't you know you could make like 30-45 bucks for each of these?" He said "Yeah. I used to do that." He went on to explain that after witnessing the greed of some other scalpers, he decided to quit. It just wasn't him. It was his last batch ever, and he was selling them for less then he payed for them. Obviously I was pretty derned satisfied. Smug too. I marched right over to that first scalpers table, where a small crowd had gathered. There was about three other collectors there. When I got there the scalper and one of the collectors was about to exchange money for plastic when the scalper noticed me. " Hey kid, you better get these while, you can!" To which I responded. "It's ok. I don't need them from you. I found them somewhere else." The collector handing his money to the scalper asked how much. I turned to said scalper and grinned. "Two bucks." The collectors and scalpers froze for a second. "What?" the scalper stammers. Then one of the collectors asks, " Are you sure?" I then pulled out my Stormie Luke and Jawa for their inspection. After giving the scalper and F-U look, the collectors followed me to the ex-scalpers table, where the purchased their toys. Needless to say, it was a good day to be a collector. :crazed:

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Darth Narcis
++"We could sense a few 'scalpers' hovering"++ Are us collectors beggining to have jedi powers or what? I can also 'sense' scalpers, i can feel them enter a store.

I STRONGLY believe that there are MANAGER-SCALPER relations going on at the tru and a walmart here. I am almost certain.

Yes, I can sense scalpers...yesterday at Wal-Mart I ran into two. One as I was walking up to the SW aisle (he had his hands in his pockets and was pacing back and forth, looking around shiftily and staring me down - guess he was waiting for them restock or something). Then he took off after a bit, and then as I was walking out of the SW aisle a guy I'll refer to as "bubba scalper" came THUNDERING around the corner, nearly bowling me over. He was big, had a huge beard, looked to be in his 40s, and had a cowboy hat on. He immediately started frantically looking over the pegs and rifling through them, knocking crap off and dropping toys to the floor. Pathetic. Real collectors don't go through the pegs making a giant mess for some poor employee to clean up.

Also, isn't it the worst feeling ever when you walk into a store and you get to the SW aisle and the pegs just have that "raped and pillaged" look to them? You know, figs all over the shelves, on the floor, knocked sideways on the pegs, etc. Not only is it a huge hassle trying to look for anything at all when the toys are in such a mess, but you just know that if the store had ANYTHING new or hard to find it isn't there now because some scalper bought up every single good thing they had.

Darth_Growl
05-31-2002, 07:56 AM
What did I say about eventually having to resort to force in order to get to these scalpers. Getting physical with them is the only way to get our point across. If I saw that 30ish guy doing that I would have yelled and said "Hey!! What the #$%! do you think you're doing?!!" and would have gotten the store manager. I wouldn't have let him get away with that at all!! :mad: Piece of @#$$!!

abell748
05-31-2002, 08:54 AM
i have gotten to the point where i wait for my new figures. if i can't find them at the store i wait until the sculper has to unload it for what he paid. the slime has to clear his shelf sometime. i'd even rather pay the extra for shipping and order them on line from the fan club or some place like that.

jedi master sal
05-31-2002, 09:22 AM
I hate the fact that just because I am 30ish (32 to be exact) chubby and have a goatee people assume I'm a scalper. I have had to resort to keeping pictures of my collection with me to prove that I'm a collector AND I open nearly everything. Remember that I was 7 when the original trilogy first came out and I have never stopped liking SW or collecting (with the exception of the darktimes from 1985-1995) Just because I'm a grown man asking about the availability of figures, people assume I am out to make a profit by selling. I have never "sold" figures for profit. In fact I have only sold two in my LIFE. both just recently. both were Dooku's and both were sold for the exact same price as I paid for them.

I just happened to have an extra Dooku I had picked up at another store and when I went to a TRU I overheard a kid and his Dad talking about the figs and that the kid really wanted a Dooku. when the kid went around the corner, I motion to the dad to come over. with hesitation he did. I told him that I had an extra in my truck and would gladly sell it to him for what I paid. He said that he couldn't accept the generous offer and would at least give me $10 bucks for my "trouble." I told him that that's not what I'm about and said that the original price would be fine (the fig was $5.99 then ad the tax, 7% here in PA) he rounded it to $6.50 and the deal was done. I had a similar thing happen with a yoda but I think the father thought I was some kind of a creepy guy. (hey, i got what you need in my truck) HA. I only wanted the kid to get the figure he really wanted. besides the favor I would have been doing for this guy would have also helped to create a collector for the future and help to assure SW's longevity in the marketplace.

All I ask is this, don't assume because you see some "30ish fat bearded guy" combing over figures, that's he's a scalper. It may be me and I would be pis...off if you thought that about me. I have many stories of "giving" up figs to kids that didn't have, while I had them in hand or in cart.

The guy that has been aforementioned probably was a scalper and I abhor the destruction of property even though I am an opener. Carders have the right to get the merchadise they want. The manager should have had him arrested. That might have stopped him. I know I would have if I was the mgr.

This toy line is going to survive only if we true collectors stick together and raise our voice to the manufactuers and retailers.

Okay enough of my rant.......

OriginalBryGuy
05-31-2002, 09:49 AM
Maybe we should run in with cameras, put them up online somewhere and call the site scalpersareus.com

haha..then they could be easily identified in every city across the globe...

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal
I hate the fact that just because I am 30ish (32 to be exact) chubby and have a goatee people assume I'm a scalper. I have had to resort to keeping pictures of my collection with me to prove that I'm a collector AND I open nearly everything. Remember that I was 7 when the original trilogy first came out and I have never stopped liking SW or collecting (with the exception of the darktimes from 1985-1995) Just because I'm a grown man asking about the availability of figures, people assume I am out to make a profit by selling. I have never "sold" figures for profit. In fact I have only sold two in my LIFE. both just recently. both were Dooku's and both were sold for the exact same price as I paid for them.

I just happened to have an extra Dooku I had picked up at another store and when I went to a TRU I overheard a kid and his Dad talking about the figs and that the kid really wanted a Dooku. when the kid went around the corner, I motion to the dad to come over. with hesitation he did. I told him that I had an extra in my truck and would gladly sell it to him for what I paid. He said that he couldn't accept the generous offer and would at least give me $10 bucks for my "trouble." I told him that that's not what I'm about and said that the original price would be fine (the fig was $5.99 then ad the tax, 7% here in PA) he rounded it to $6.50 and the deal was done. I had a similar thing happen with a yoda but I think the father thought I was some kind of a creepy guy. (hey, i got what you need in my truck) HA. I only wanted the kid to get the figure he really wanted. besides the favor I would have been doing for this guy would have also helped to create a collector for the future and help to assure SW's longevity in the marketplace.

All I ask is this, don't assume because you see some "30ish fat bearded guy" combing over figures, that's he's a scalper. It may be me and I would be pis...off if you thought that about me. I have many stories of "giving" up figs to kids that didn't have, while I had them in hand or in cart.

The guy that has been aforementioned probably was a scalper and I abhor the destruction of property even though I am an opener. Carders have the right to get the merchadise they want. The manager should have had him arrested. That might have stopped him. I know I would have if I was the mgr.

This toy line is going to survive only if we true collectors stick together and raise our voice to the manufactuers and retailers.

I have a goatee too, but I'm only 23. :)

I don't assume people are scalpers based on how they look (that's just silly), but rather on how they act. Although I've run into a few scalper types (and collectors too) well over 40, the majority of the ones I see are balding and seem to be in their 30s. Don't know why really. For some reason that stereotype just seems to keep sticking around.

OriginalBryGuy
05-31-2002, 09:51 AM
This scalper's pretty hot tho

http://www.originalplots.com/digital/050302/images/DCP_2862.JPG

haha

sunblind
05-31-2002, 09:57 AM
I'm 27 and I hope I never get thought of as a scum of the earth scalper. Infact I've never sold one. Actually, I work with someone who gets into anything that has to do with Yoda but as E2 came around he slowly backed out of buying SW fig's and such.
So after April 23rd, the big fig. day, I bought a new Yoda for him, brought it to work, placed it on his desk (note: I put in a box so no scalpers would find it here...haha) with that I didn't let him know that I did it. Beacuse I didnt want the money. I just thought it would be a cool thing to do.

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by OriginalBryGuy
This scalper's pretty hot tho

http://www.originalplots.com/digital/050302/images/DCP_2862.JPG

haha

If I only saw scalpers that looked like her in stores, scalping wouldn't bother me as much. :D

Unfortunately this is the type of scalper I see most often:

Jonna
05-31-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by sunblind
I'm 27 and I hope I never get thought of as a scum of the earth scalper. Infact I've never sold one. Actually, I work with someone who gets into anything that has to do with Yoda but as E2 came around he slowly backed out of buying SW fig's and such.
So after April 23rd, the big fig. day, I bought a new Yoda for him, brought it to work, placed it on his desk (note: I put in a box so no scalpers would find it here...haha) with that I didn't let him know that I did it. Beacuse I didnt want the money. I just thought it would be a cool thing to do.

Hey, Sunblind! I am 27 also and I can't imagine anyone thinking of me as a scalper. Why are most older people, and I use that term losely, who collect considered scalpers? I have always been into collecting things and happen to have a personal attachment to SW from my youth. Does that make me a scalper!?!:D

DahrJin
05-31-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jedi master sal

I agree, not all 30ish (I'm 33) guy's in the toy aisles are scalpers. I'm not over weight, but I'm not in the same shape I was in when I was a teenager. I look more like the type of guy you'd see in a sporting goods store buying hunting and fishing equipment, than a guy who collects little plastic toys. Since when does age have anything to do with being a scalper?

I must admit, that store employees and managers do seem to think that if you're an adult and you ask about the availability of certain toys, and you don't have your kids with you, you're out to sell for profit. I don't know why they can't seem to understand that, we as adult SW fans and collectors, are just doing something we have enjoyed since our childhood.

I've only ever sold, any toy, to fellow collectors and never for more than I paid for it. I have traded figures as well, but I would never ask for more than one for one trades.

Why is it that when someone tries to sell a figure for more than what they paid for it, they are scalpers. But if a so called collector wants to trade a single figure for 2-8 other figures, they seem to think they are doing the collecting community a favor. Aren't they still making a profit off the trade? Now I'm not defending scalping in any form, but I notice this trading practice on many, many collecting sites, and it seems to go undetected, or is it just over looked?

There have been times, that if a fellow collector needed something I had an extra of, ( my wife tries to help out, but most of the time, I already have bought what she thinks I would like to have) :D, and the said collector didn't have anything to trade, I let them pay the shipping and it's their's. That hasn't happend alot since someone always has something to trade, but it's happened. Same goes for figures in a store. If a kid, or his family are looking for a certain SW toy, and I have got the last one on the peg/shelf, I will give the toy up in a heart beat to keep the kids happy and intrested in SW. I can always count on friends and fellow collectors to get what I'm after eventually. ;)

Well that's enough out of me on this, but again, make sure you know that the 30ish guy looking at the SW toys is indeed a SCALPER before you judge him.

DJ

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 11:40 AM
I don't think age has really anything to do with scalping but rather just how corrupted one can be.

I once knew a 13 year old kid who bought 5 Tat. Mauls when they were rare on their key releases and said he planned on selling them later when the prices went up. I still laugh about it. :D

Herby
05-31-2002, 11:47 AM
You know, the problem is that not all 30ish guys with goatees are scalpers, but most scalpers do happen to be 30ish guys with goatees. I hate to say it, but the stereotype of a scalper is rather accurate (although my nemesis scalper is a tubby bald guy in his 40s). While there are a few exceptions, many of them do fit this description, I know the ones in my area do at least.

I hate to brag, but I can pick out Hot Wheels collectors going into TRU with near 100% accuracy. Everytime we go in, I say to my wife, "that guy is going to head for Hot Wheels" and I'm almost always right.

billfremore
05-31-2002, 11:49 AM
Can someone please tell me where the term "Hot Wheels collector" came from and what it means exactly?

DahrJin
05-31-2002, 11:55 AM
Herby, yes they do fit the profile, but not every 30ish guy buying toys is a scalper. I have run across teenagers and 20ish people who do it as well, but like you said most are 30ish, but not all of them are over weight with a goatee.

There's a guy in my area that is 40ish and wears polo shirts and dockers, but he scalps the same as the rest of them. I see him at stores all the time, in both the SW section and hot wheels section. Then like clock work, you can see him every Sunday selling his new found treasures at the local swap meet and to comic shops.

I was just trying to say, make sure you know the guy before you brand 'em with the scalper tag.....:D

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Can someone please tell me where the term "Hot Wheels collector" came from and what it means exactly?

You know those $1 metal car things on the other aisle with the matchbox stuff that are also cars and not boxes of matches? There are really people who collect those... :sur: :crazed: ;)

Darth_Growl
05-31-2002, 12:07 PM
It's true. Most of the scalpers that I've seen are in their 30s, are balding, and wear glasses. I guess around here when you see somebody like that in the toy aisle, you just assume he's a dirty scalper with no life, no wife, and no children. Sad, sad, sad. Some of these guys just need to grow up and get a real life. Leave the toy collecting to us teenagers or 20ish guys. Time to snap out of it. Instead of wasting your time and gas on collecting figures, you think about what your doing and ask yourself why am I collecting figures to earn extra cash? Am I not making enough money at my real job? Should I go back to further my education? Scalpers should ask themselves those questions and think hard about what they are doing to the hobby and to us collectors. If you need to empty the aisles of all the popular figures just to make a few extra bucks on ebay, then you obviously have bigger problems.

Herby
05-31-2002, 12:07 PM
I'm going to go visit my favorite scalper this weekend. There's a card & collectibles show at a nearby mall (in Maine that means tons of Nascar crap and a few Beanie Babies) and I'm pretty sure he'll be there. I'm expecting him to have the Orn Free Ta wave that I found remnants of a Walmart...I'm so excited to go see him!

My wife keeps threatening me not to go to the mall if I'm just going to harrass a scalper...fortunatly our anniversary is coming up so I can say that I have to go shopping for her.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-31-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

If I only saw scalpers that looked like her in stores, scalping wouldn't bother me as much. :D

Unfortunately this is the type of scalper I see most often:

LOL! :D Dude, that's like about every Hot Wheels guy I've even.

There are a couple of scalpers around here that look just like that guy, with the mullet, mustache, cowboy boots, and a pack of Marlboros rolled up in their sleeves. :rolleyes:

Jayspawn
05-31-2002, 12:26 PM
The work of Scalpers, bending cards is.

The Dark Side clouds everything.

billfremore
05-31-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

You know those $1 metal car things on the other aisle with the matchbox stuff that are also cars and not boxes of matches? There are really people who collect those... :sur: :crazed: ;)

I'm familiar with Hot wheels and matchbox cars, I had them when I was a kid.

I've just never heard the term before to describe those scalper looking guys.

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 12:33 PM
It's just an example on the stereotyping, alot of Hot Wheels collectors to people have an adverage look and they're comparing that to SW scalpers.

I've never actually seen a hot wheels collector though so oh well. :D

Jonna
05-31-2002, 12:34 PM
They even still make them???

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
They even still make them???

Uh, do they still make Hot Wheels? Yes, tons of 'em.

Jonna
05-31-2002, 12:45 PM
I guess I only really go into the action figure isle.

Darth Cynical
05-31-2002, 01:52 PM
Scalper story:

The other day at the local toy emporium, while cruising for figs, I saw a 30ish bald hairy faced chubby guy, and can you believe it? He was taking the new released figures and biting there heads off! Headless handless Lukes, decapitated Palpatines!! Oh the horror! Apparently he'd maxed out his credit card and couldn't afford any more. And as if that wasn't bad enough, he then dropped trou and peed on the Star Wars display. I guess he was marking his territory...

That has to be the NEW, new low in scalpers aye?

SuperBattleDroid88
05-31-2002, 02:40 PM
:sur: That was a joke.... right? :rolleyes:

Adam
05-31-2002, 02:44 PM
It HAS to be.. that scalper isn't human! But then again most aren't...:D

sunblind
05-31-2002, 02:49 PM
Jonna. I've collective since I was 5. (well not knowing that's what it was at the time) I open and keep some in there packages.

Oh, that pic of the scalper is great, that's what I truely see around these parts, from time to time.

tagmac
05-31-2002, 04:55 PM
Like I said earlier in the thread, I learned the hard way not to judge scalpers by their typical stereotype. That one I ran into was a young woman with two kids and her elderly mother. I never would have expected her to admit she bought stuff to sell them. Sadly, most of the scalpers I see in the stores fit the aforementioned profile.....it's horrible.

Les S
05-31-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Darth Narcis

How can I sense a 'scalper'? When you are looking at the figures and make conversation with other fans you can tell who is there because they love the movie(s) and who is there for a quick buck. <g>
A few weeks ago I was at a store and this guy came down the Star Wars aisle and was looking at figures. When someone would pick up a figure (like Kit or Typho) and look at it the other guy would immediately add some of those figures to his cart. He had NO IDEA who was who and wouldn't say anything. He stayed there for quite a few minutes as I was talking to some fellow collectors and then he finally left. As I was getting ready to go up front with my Clone Troopers I saw him going through Hot Wheels and adding some of them to his cart as well.
I hope I am not alone in this, but when I go to the Star Wars aisle and someone else is there I will often strike up a conversation about the figures or the movie. If the person is a fan they will atleast know what they are talking about and if they are looking for a certain figure and I have seen one in a nearby store I will let them know.
Les S.

Darth Cynical
05-31-2002, 05:31 PM
Are there truly those that would dare question a scalper story told by me, DARTH CYNICAL?

Don't make me call upon the dark forces of the scalper...

vulcantouch
05-31-2002, 05:36 PM
. . . namely, you could be turning this "deficit" into a strength, by gathering antiscalping intelligence! :cool:
example: you see a guy you think might be a scalper. maybe he's already hogged a buncha choice figs. so you sidle up to him and say "oh Man, you lucky duck! i envy you! you can probably sell those for, what, 4 times their price? oh well, that's how it goes in this business, eh? maybe next time it'll be my turn to make a buck, eh?"
at which point he'll give your scalper-lookin' azz a good long once-over, and see what everyone else sees: you look like a scalper. at that point he'll either commiserate or gloat, in which case you've confirmed he's a scalper, and any number of counteractions become options (anything from snappin a digicam pic of him to post on our "just found" forums to, shall we say, more "aggressive diplomacy" :evil: ) or he'll get ****ed, in which case he's either pretending (you'll be able to tell) or you've found yourself a genuine fellow collector, to join with in our righteous Antiscalping Wars :cool:
to turn the tide of these Wars we'll need to be Sneaky, resourceful: infiltrate their ranks, think like them, betray them, do everything possible to make them regret their actions, and do it all without letting em get a glove on ya. lmk how it goes :Pirate:
vt

JangoFart
06-02-2002, 04:33 PM
I truly hate to hear that this terrible practice is back. Yes, BACK. This was VERY common when the POTF2 wave first came out in 1995. I cannot tell you how many Orange Card Leia's and Fett's I've had the displeasure of seeing.

It's not "scalpers", per se, though. It is TYPICALLY employees of specialty shops who GET PAID to comb the Wal-Marts, Targets, etc, for new figures. They then buy what they can and destroy the rest - therefore, the local market has one outlet to get those new figures, ie, the specialty store.

I haven't seen this in a while and am sorry that it's back.

J

Jedi Law Student
06-06-2002, 11:43 AM
You know, I'm not positive, but I think I may have run across something like this myself. A couple of weeks ago or so, I noticed that Wal-Mart got in the wave with Qui-Gon Jinn and the Endor Rebel Soldier. By the time I saw it, there were already no Massiffs, Orn Free Taa's, Bespin Luke's, or any of the other figures that should have been released about the same time. On subsequent trips, I watched the supply of Qui-Gon's and Endor Rebel Soldiers diminish rapidly.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm usually a carded collector, but I've been in the mood to open some of the Saga figures lately. For one thing, I just got a 5 drawer chest, so I have a new surface to display opened figures on. So, I went back to Wal-Mart. Well, there was one Endor Rebel Soldier left out of all the figures on the pegs. Wouldn't you know, that out of all the figures, this one was the only one with a seriously damaged package. One corner was bent severely, and there was a giant rip in the package, too. That made me think about this little thread. Now, there's really no way to know for sure that this package was damaged on purpose, but the damages do not look like simple wear and tear. Add that to the fact that people were definitely buying this figure up, and it looks awfully suspicious.

Fortunately, this story has a happy ending. I decided to purchase the figure in spite of the damage to its package because I was planning to open the next figure I bought anyway. Endor Rebel Soldier has made all kinds of new friends since arriving here, including Hoth Rebel Soldier and a vintage Chief Chirpa.:D

tagmac
06-06-2002, 12:01 PM
While there's no way for me to know for sure, I think I bought a couple figs yesterday that had been touched by a scalper first. I was in a local KB yesterday, and found the new pilot Obi-Wan. I looked down, and there was Han and Chewie staring me in the face. Of course, I bought all three. However, the plastic on the Han and Chewie packages were both crushed a little. Since I open mine, it didn't matter to me, but seeing as how they are only 1 per case right now, and were just lying on the floor, it seemed suspicious. There was more than one Obi-Wan figure left, so my guess is htey had put out 2 cases, someone bought one of each, didn't have the money for more, and so they crushed the others (Course, it may have also been a collector trying to screw over a scalper, but who knows). And since the employee told me they had only been put out 1/2 hour earlier, it must have happened very shortly before I walked in.

On a side note, I actually had a string of good luck for a change, finding the Endor soldier and Massiff at a nearby Target. Now all I need is Palpatine and DP, which I know are just coming out, so hopefully I'll find 'em pretty soon. I know the scalpers are grabbing them now, but thanks to the my luck yesterday, I won't be so quick to buy them off one anymore.

cptpinkerton
06-08-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by tagmac
While there's no way for me to know for sure, I think I bought a couple figs yesterday that had been touched by a scalper first. I was in a local KB yesterday, and found the new pilot Obi-Wan. I looked down, and there was Han and Chewie staring me in the face. Of course, I bought all three. However, the plastic on the Han and Chewie packages were both crushed a little. Since I open mine, it didn't matter to me, but seeing as how they are only 1 per case right now, and were just lying on the floor, it seemed suspicious. There was more than one Obi-Wan figure left, so my guess is htey had put out 2 cases, someone bought one of each, didn't have the money for more, and so they crushed the others (Course, it may have also been a collector trying to screw over a scalper, but who knows). And since the employee told me they had only been put out 1/2 hour earlier, it must have happened very shortly before I walked in.

On a side note, I actually had a string of good luck for a change, finding the Endor soldier and Massiff at a nearby Target. Now all I need is Palpatine and DP, which I know are just coming out, so hopefully I'll find 'em pretty soon. I know the scalpers are grabbing them now, but thanks to the my luck yesterday, I won't be so quick to buy them off one anymore.

Or, maybe the figures got damaged in the drop shipments that alot of these Obi-Wan waves have been showing up in at stores.
What a novel idea, that figures are getting damaged during shipments. True, I'm sure that scalpers have in the past damaged figures on the pegs to try (in vain) to drive prices in their region up. However, the true comedy stems from reading these threads where all of the sudden, the difficulty of finding a figure, or finding a figure in mint condition automatically gets relegated toward blaming the scalpers, who exists, but are not responsible for all of your collecting woes.
The scalper - scapegoat of a collecting community.