PDA

View Full Version : Hats Off to "Harry"

TeeEye7
05-30-2002, 07:25 AM
I picked up the "Harry Potter" DVD on the 28th at Target for less that 16 bucks! I was surprised as I thought that was for the VHS tape; not the DVD. Great price!

I would like to see Lucasfilm follow suit when EpII is released. George, you've already made zillions from us at the theaters, why not give us a break a la "Harry Potter"? Lower that DVD price!:evil:

Eternal Padawan
05-30-2002, 08:16 AM
Where was the commentary track? Where was the behind the scenes documentaries? I don't like that this was aimed solely at the kiddie market. I finally found the deleted scenes and I must say... they could have left them in the film. It was like an extra two minutes.

Chris Columbus has decided to NOT direct the third movie, the dirty mind changer.

Pendo
05-30-2002, 08:19 AM
I got the DVD, i thought it would be fun, but it took me about 120 minutes to find the deleted scenes. I think the menus on the 2nd disk are totaly crap, you don't know where you're going. I ended up just taking the DVD out my maching and putting it to the back of my collection, hoping never to have to watch it again!

The 1st disk wasn't too bad though.

PENDO!

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 03:30 PM
Ugh, I hate those stupid commentaries. It's like trying to watch the movie in a theater with someone carrying on a conversation behind you the whole time. And they never really give out any useful information just mindless blabber.

El Chuxter
05-30-2002, 05:36 PM
I found out the hard way that they sold both widescreen and crap versions. Luckily the pan-n-scan isn't opened, but it's so much hassle to exchange anything nowadays.

Oh well. More opportunities to look for SW figures! :)

2-1B
05-31-2002, 01:49 AM
I gave Harry a try on DVD and I must say I liked it. I didn't get too into it, but it was fun! Hermione was probably my favorite character. And I laughed outright at the things that some freaks were accusing of being "unholy". :rolleyes:

I'll definately catch Chamber of Secrets in the theater. :)

Any ideas on how long Daniel Radcliffe will be playing Harry? I know they plan on several movies, will he grow too fast? I know they brought in a female to overdub a post-pubescent line or two of dialogue, just wondering if you've heard anything.

Eternal Padawan
06-01-2002, 08:32 AM
The original plan was to shoot one movie a year as the kids grew up, so they wouldn't age too fast. They signed the three young actors for the first three(?) and were waiting to see if they would do the next ones. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry) has expressed that he wants to stick it out for all seven, but I think a lot can change for a child in seven years and he might grow tired of it.

And now the darn fifth book isn't coming out until NEXT year...darn you J.K. Rowling! :mad: Quit screwing around and get back to your word processor...

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 11:51 AM
Personally I don't like Harry Potter all that much, highly over-hyped IMO. I was just wondering though where the deleted scenes were and if they were any good? I found alot of parts in the movie kinda boring but went to see it in theatres and was just wondering about the deleted scenes since my aunt got the DVD and I don't feel like going all through that other stuff which I know nothing about since I've only read two chapters of the first book and wouldn't know if there are clues or anything as to where to find them.

Hope WB works on the CGI though, I might go see the other movies caused I liked alot of the actor/resses from the first one like the guy who played Dumbledore (if I spelled that right then hit me with a lightsaber :p) and some of the action was ok, just the CGI needs to be worked on, way too cartoony. Then again it's WB and they probably don't want to spend alot of their hard earned money (hard earned as in the little effort it took to get the money for it after saying that it's another easy money movie) on just the CGI effects.

DarthBrandon
06-01-2002, 12:02 PM
Did anyone notice that Harry Potters music is some what similar to Star Wars in some parts, I did and before anyone told me I just knew John Williams Composed the music. I made a bet with the wife, her sister and my best friend and won. Very similar music (score) in certain parts. Correct me if I'm wrong, but listen very closely.

hango fett
06-01-2002, 07:48 PM
how do you find the deleted scenes? i looked everywhere! are they on the dvd-rom?

Eternal Padawan
06-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Oy. The deleted scenes are a HUGE hassle. Since this thing is designed for kids, you have to navigate through ALL the disc2 stuff. You have to go to Diagon Alley and "get" your wand. The you have to go to all the classrooms to learn potion making and what not. After that you click on the "H" on the pillars in the classroom section and it will take you to "the third floor corridor" where you have to put the dog to sleep, then grab the right key, then pick the right potion and get the stone out of the mirror of Erised. After you do all this, you get to watch 7 deleted scenes.

Here's the answers.

1. Choose the flute. Music put the dogs to sleep.
2. The key is dead center. It's very tiny and there's only four little white "spaklies" or whatever they are around it. i fyou don't get it the first time, don't worry. The keys rearrange themselves and it's easier to spot the second time.
3. Pick the round off-yellow potion bottle. It's either second or third from the right.
4. Then just click on the stone in the mirror.

Like I said they could have left them in the movie. They're only two minutes long it feels like.

El Chuxter
06-03-2002, 03:36 PM
Finally got to watch this yesterday (after I swapped for a widescreen, my parents said they wanted me to bring it over there to watch it, yadda yadda). Excellent movie--possibly a tad too faithful to the book at times, if that's possible. I had no idea Warwick Davis and John Cleese were in it, which was a great bonus, and the actors they chose were perfect for their roles.

Music was great--I'll definitely be picking up this soundtrack. I wish there were some real extras, but for $16, I guess you can't be too picky. Oh, wait, I got TPM for $18 and it was chock full of extras! I'll sue!!!

wedgeA
06-07-2002, 03:58 PM
People that have read the books told me that each book is one school year, so Harry does age in the books. The movies follow suit as they are released annually to keep pace, so Radcliffe, et al, will be the coorect ages throughout the series.

LTBasker
06-07-2002, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
I had no idea Warwick Davis and John Cleese were in it, which was a great bonus, and the actors they chose were perfect for their roles.

What a coincidence you know? Warwick Davis teaches levitation classes and Luke used levitation to make the Ewoks believe 3PO had powers. :D

jjreason
06-12-2002, 12:55 AM
It takes longer to watch the movie than it does to read the book, and the book should be less than 16 dollars. Just 2 thoughts....

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
Oy. The deleted scenes are a HUGE hassle. Since this thing is designed for kids, you have to navigate through ALL the disc2 stuff. You have to go to Diagon Alley and "get" your wand. The you have to go to all the classrooms to learn potion making and what not. After that you click on the "H" on the pillars in the classroom section and it will take you to "the third floor corridor" where you have to put the dog to sleep, then grab the right key, then pick the right potion and get the stone out of the mirror of Erised. After you do all this, you get to watch 7 deleted scenes.

Here's the answers.

1. Choose the flute. Music put the dogs to sleep.
2. The key is dead center. It's very tiny and there's only four little white "spaklies" or whatever they are around it. i fyou don't get it the first time, don't worry. The keys rearrange themselves and it's easier to spot the second time.
3. Pick the round off-yellow potion bottle. It's either second or third from the right.
4. Then just click on the stone in the mirror.

Like I said they could have left them in the movie. They're only two minutes long it feels like.

You know, I found the deleted scenes a different way. I can't remember exactly how, but I never went to the third floor and put the dog to sleep. I went straight to the potions class (I think) and figured out the right ones and then did the key and potion bottle.

I didn't really like the 2nd disk. I guess it was geared more towards kids. At least I was smart enough to get it at Target for $16. Actually, I would have been smarter just to save the $16. :)