PDA

View Full Version : Clone color mystery SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!

jedi master sal
05-30-2002, 10:47 AM
The official site has posted this so we call all relax and finally put this argument to bed.

(following text from official site)

In Episode II there appears to be troopers with a color-coding on their armor. Does this indicate rank and if so what color equates to what rank?

It is indeed an indication of rank. Yellow markings indicate a commander. Red clone troopers are captains, blue are lieutenants and green are sergeants.

follow the link to confrim this

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/jocasta/askjc20020528.html

evenflow
05-30-2002, 10:59 AM
Cool, i dont remember seeing any green ones though.

JEDIpartner
05-30-2002, 11:04 AM
I posted this in the MOVIE section yesterday and thought about sticking this here, but didn't. I'm glad you did this Sal! I'm so happy that they finally bothered to let us in on the Colours!!!

jedi master sal
05-30-2002, 12:08 PM
just tryin to help....uhhhh—Lando to Leia ESB

jedi master sal
05-30-2002, 12:44 PM
I imagine we'll get all varients eventually.
So in total there are actually six "different" types of clones:
yellow—commander
yellow—pilot/driver (no fin on helmet)
red—captain
blue—lieutenants
green—sergeants
white—"privates"

I guess the Kaminoans designed them for specific tasks or amount of creative thinking allowed. Hence the Yellow commanders would be the most independent of the clones (therefore the most dangerous to the republic). This would explain why the officers of the Original trilogy were not clones and the regular stormtroopers are. Imagine having a large group of Jango Fetts running around making decisions. The Emperor would have had a problem keeping them in line. But, weak-minded humans could be in officer positions and still be controlled.

Your thoughts?

sith_killer_99
05-30-2002, 01:08 PM
Stormtroopers are NOT CLONES!!!:rolleyes:

BTW, I don't like the "Rank" system here. It leaves too much unaccounted for:

Can these guys be promoted?

How do they get promoted?

Do they have to wait for someone to DIE to get promoted?

What happens if a Commander dies?

What are those stupid dots on their armor for if not rank?

Oh well, it's just a movie (A GREAT MOVIE) but still, just a movie.

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 01:34 PM
Yeah, do we really have any PROOF that the Stormies are clones?

I don't care really one way or the other about what the colors mean, I just hope they all get released eventually so I can assemble a proper squad of Clonetroopers. :happy:

Taichi
05-30-2002, 01:54 PM
Yes we do have proof that Stormtroopers are Clones....

TF.N or Rebelscum had a clipping from 1980 all about the ESB....in it, it stated very clearly, that Stormtroopers are in fact clones.....

I'll post a link, if I can dig it back up....

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Taichi

TF.N or Rebelscum had a clipping from 1980 all about the ESB....in it, it stated very clearly, that Stormtroopers are in fact clones.....

Unless it came from GL's mouth or one of the movies, then don't bother, cuz those are the only things I will consider 'proof'. :) Canon, and all that.

But by all means, if you've got the link, post it.

Laserbrain
05-30-2002, 02:42 PM
Allow me to paste this that I wrote in that other thread. Keep in mind that it's a ballpark understanding, only ment for a basic idea...

So it's eastablished that yellow is higher than red. Adapted from info in the WEG Imp Sourcebook...

Green Level Squad Command
A squad of unmarked (white) armored troopers which has 8-11 clones and is lead by a Segeant.

Blue Level Platoon Command
Four squads commanded by a lieutenant.

Red Level Company Command
Four platoons commanded by a captain.

Yellow Level Command
Either a battlion of four Companies if the Commander rank is equal to a combat major, or a Regiment of four battlions commanded by a Lt. colonel. Given that the Commanders have four pips on their left breast, a yet unseen rank of "two-pip Commander" may be either staff or in command of a battlion. The same may apply to Red Level.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
05-30-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

Can these guys be promoted?

How do they get promoted?

Do they have to wait for someone to DIE to get promoted?

What happens if a Commander dies?

Private #1: Hey guys, I've got some paint. What color do you want on your helmet?
Private #2: OOOOO! Paint my helmet Yellow.
Private #3: O MY! Yellow is SO not your color! You're more of a Green kind of guy!

Sidiously Darth
05-30-2002, 11:13 PM
After viewing Clones for the 4th time and my 1st time in a digital theater, I think I saw a green clone trooper. He was in the scene where they were in line getting helmets. He was at the very bottom of the screen towards the left 1/3 of the screen. He was either green or there was a shadow over his shoulder that made the yellow darker. I must look closer next time!

RooJay
05-30-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Taichi

Regardless of what might have been stated in an article that I might point out is now 22 years old and was written even before ROTJ (A LOT has changed in the story since then!), we won't know for certain if that is the case until we hear it on screen or George Lucas says that it's absolutely so. Until then we have no proof at all; only our own personal opinions.

CooLJoE
05-31-2002, 01:01 AM
I say that stormtroopers are not clones. Jango did that for money. And I don't see the Empire using the Kaminoans for more clones.

Infact I remember seeing somewhere that the Empire hired their workers. Infact people volunteered into service just like U.S. Military.

yukface27
05-31-2002, 01:34 AM
Yeah I don't think Stormtroopers can be clones. First, they are just plain dumb (that's how they are portrayed in the movies). This is EU, but it is relevant. At least, pilot wise, Han was in the Imperial Academy, so they can't be clones. And Trooper wise, Kyle Katarn was in the Academy, so they can't be clones. Clones first REALLY appeared in one EU book, where I think Han and Chewie wasted a bunch of Stormies on a Star Destoyer and discovered that they were all the same person. Something has to happen in EPIII that ends the clones. Maybe they ban them (which they do in the books, how, don't ask). We're gonna have to wait and see.

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 01:50 AM
Yes, there are two blue and one green troopers in the scene where Taun We and Lama Su are talking to Obi-Wan and showing him the clones while they're getting their helmets. One blue is unhelmeted and the green is also, oddly though the helmeted blue (seen talking to some plain troopers near the place with the helmets) has no fin which makes it still a mystery. Dunno if green has a fin on their helmet and while it could be that higher rank are the only ones with fins - there are fins on the 'private' soliders.

jed
05-31-2002, 08:55 PM
I recall mention in one of the books that the cloning chambers were destroyed at some stage. And another wisper that stormtroopers and the like were recruited from all over the galaxy.
But that doesn't say too much as they are all the same size as per leia's comment to Luke about being a bit small for a stormtrooper.
I feel sorry for lucas as he has created a simple movie that has become an analytical nightmare will all the SW geeks studying it as a natural history or something.

acidious
06-01-2002, 04:24 AM
I say that stormies aren't clones.
If you refer to ANH in the scene where C-3PO and R2 are in the control room together and the group of four stormies walk in, one is obviously taller than the others because he bumps his head when the door doesn't open all the way. Since the clones are "engineered" and probably not put to duty until they're "ready" or full grown, I'd say they all should have bumped their heads or none at all. If they were clones, they should have been the same hight being full grown and in duty.
Of course this is a stretch, but maybe a tidbit for the argument.
Anyway, all the Stormtroopers had individual names along with their operating numbers.

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 10:11 AM
Stormtrooper's aren't the same size, there are just prefered heights for more menacing looks. It's obvious they're not the same size, just look at the squad of Stormtroopers that Han runs into, they're around the same heights, but not the same ones. Who would be afraid of a 5' 0" Stormtrooper? :p

sith_killer_99
06-01-2002, 04:17 PM
This was touched on briefly...in another thread.

Some groups (Police, Military, etc.) have height requirements.

And sometimes groups within groups have even more strict requirements.

For example, the US ARMY has a minimum and maximum height requirement.

However, the 'Old Guard' has a MUCH more strict requirement. Applicants must be between 5 ft 10 in and 6 ft 2 in.

BTW, 'Old Guard' are the soldiers of the US ARMY who guard the tomb of the Unknown Soldier.