PDA

View Full Version : How do jedi's die

aikman
05-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Obi just puts his guard down, smiles and lets Vader strike him. Why does he disappear instead of getting just killed why don't we see a corpse and why the robe doesn't disappear? But yet , maul, vader, qui gon all seem to leave a body when they are killed .
Any explanation?

Pendo
05-30-2002, 10:30 AM
This will be answered in the prequels.

PENDO!

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Supposedly only Obi-Wan and Yoda seem to have the "power" to disappear upon death and maintain a presence in the "real world." All other Jedi leave behind a corpse, why else would there be a funeral pyre ceremony if Jedi just disappear?

GL mentioned that this was a special skill that Yoda taught Obi-Wan in between Ep3 and 4; but he said this way back when still writing the OT. Who knows how much has changed since then?

aikman
05-30-2002, 03:02 PM
Ok but if it was only yoda and obi, then why would anakin have show up as a blue shimmer next to them at the end of rotj?

sith_killer_99
05-30-2002, 03:21 PM
That too remains to be answered. However, it is made quite clear in AOTC (NOVEL) that Yoda was unaware that a Jedi could retain conciousness after death. That is UNTIL he hears Qui-Gon's voice.

It's all on page 276!!!;)

LOL

I believe that is what sparks Yoda's discovery about how a Jedi can become one with the Force and "disappear".

aikman
05-30-2002, 03:26 PM
Ok , plz explain this.
I hear people quoting the books a lot.
What are they based on?
Is it the final script or ....?
As far as I know the films themselves are the only cannon.
Are the books tinkered with by whomever wrote them , or are they straight from the final screenplay?

bigbarada
05-30-2002, 04:19 PM
George Lucas usually works very closely with the writers of the novel adaptions so that they can have accurate info to expand on the movies. Of course, some things change (Owen being Obi-Wan's brother for one); but the novelizations offer a bit of insight into things we will never see on screen. However, take it all with a grain of salt since only what shows up onscreen is official canon.

I think Anakin is unique among Jedi, so his showing up at the end of ROTJ was either a latent power he didn't know he had or simply a way for GL to provide closure at the end of the saga.

browndroid
05-30-2002, 04:48 PM
i think the reason why ani apeared was because he was the chosen one, and by killing sidious he fulfilled the prophesy, being such an inmortant character and bringing balance to the force, i think he deserves something;)

Darkross
05-30-2002, 07:45 PM
Not all Jedi disappear when they die...I think it depends on how they die that determines if their bodies disappear. Yoda and Obi-Wan accepted that death was upon them and gave themselves up to the force. The ability to retain their form after they die is something that I believe comes with the Jedi's power with the force.

Obi-Wan: "You can't win Darth...if you strike me down...I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!"

chris
05-30-2002, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure if it will ever be completely explained or not, except for the fact that Yoda and Obi-wan both gave in, and became one with the force when they died. Qui-gon's voice may mean that other Jedi retain their consciousness, but Obi and Yoda "appeared" because of Luke. Anakin appeared because he fufilled his prophecy, and also became one with the force.

Pendo
05-31-2002, 05:28 AM
Didn't Anakin dissapear too? It was only Vader's suit that Luke was burning, Anakin became one with the force when he died.

PENDO!

Darkross
05-31-2002, 06:15 AM
I Agree that Anakin (not Vader) disappeared when he died...we just didn't see it on screen. He gave himself up to the force also.

Pendo
05-31-2002, 06:49 AM
Maybe with ROTJ Archival Edition they will show a CG Sebastian Shaw disapear inside the Vader Suit. I just hope it will look real if they do that.

PENDO!

aikman
05-31-2002, 09:12 AM
RE:
I Agree that Anakin (not Vader) disappeared when he died...we just didn't see it on screen. He gave himself up to the force also.

Um, you cant say that, he obviously died onscreen.
Its kinda like living in the show me state, we werent shown it, so it didnt happen...
maul and qui gon died onscreen and didnt fade away,
whether I believe they did disapper later is of no consequence

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2002, 10:12 PM
This all will be explained in three short years.

darthvyn
06-10-2002, 10:12 AM
this is part of a post from another forum that i posted today. it's kind of a scientific explanation of the disappearing... i got off on a tangent there, but i think it definately belongs here...

the way i see the force is that it's all the matter/energy in the universe. when the energy is transmuted into matter (matter and energy can not be created nor destroyed, just changed,) say, a person, they can have a communication with the energy. the force seems more passive in comparison to the organism that uses it. this is also how i explain how jedi disappear. they immediately transmute to energy, become the "luminous beings" without the normal decay process that we go through. (we decay, become nutrients that are energy for plants, which are eaten... blah blah blah...) this is just my theory, and i have always been fascinated with a scientific explanation of spirituality, so i guess that's why i like it so much. it's also why i didn't mind the midichlorians. they always sounded like a cross between mitochondria (the energy producer in animal cells) and chloroplasts (energy producer in plant cells.) that gets it back to the energy idea.

my theory on WHY jedi disappear or not depends on destiny and acceptance. so far all we've seen disappear are jedi, and only ben and yoda. both of them were at peace, accepting their destiny. ben had disabled the tractor beam so everyone else could escape. he held his saber up in a gesture of submission. yoda had told luke that he didn't require any more training... whereas qui-gon had changed his destiny by taking on anakin as his padawan, or intending to. not fulfilling this new destiny, he wasn't able to transmute. if you fight destiny, you can't transmute, basically.