PDA

View Full Version : How to paint figures?

Runobot
05-30-2002, 02:19 PM
I just got an extra red clone so I can paint him yellow.

What prep work do I need to do before I paint him?

What type of paint should I use? Acrylic?

Do you use a clear coat afterwards to protect the paint job?

Croaker
05-30-2002, 02:47 PM
Acrylic is a good choice for paint.
stay away from testor's model paint unless you are sure that that is the look you want.

You might want to prime the red stripes with white or light, light grey before painting yellow depending on the thickness and density of the paint.

With any clear coat cover you have to make sure what it will look like afterwards. Even some of the matt ones that I've seen still come out pretty glossy.

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 10:57 PM
I would suggest a light coat of white paint over the red stripes as well.Finding a non-glossy paint will be a bit harder though Runobot.I thought I bought a non-glossy brown for a Qui-Gon..but was wrong.So be careful!!

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 10:33 AM
And considering how small some parts that need painting on his helmet are, I'd suggest making sure you don't have too much caffeine that day too. :D

Jaina Solo
06-01-2002, 02:54 PM
I have a similar question, about a 12" figure. In the topic about whether or not we'd like a 12" inch forum here, someone posted a picture of an Episode II 12" inch Obi-Wan whose hair had been painted darker. It looks great.

How do I do that? What kind of paint should I use?

pthfnder89
06-03-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
And considering how small some parts that need painting on his helmet are, I'd suggest making sure you don't have too much caffeine that day too. :D

Yeah, I simply wanted to paint five of my six RedTroopers the normal white color. I figured it would be a snap but I spent a long time this weekend doing my first one, and I think the helmet turned out horribley. The rest of him is ok, but I can't seem to nail the details on the helmet.:(