PDA

View Full Version : EU or not EU? (merged)

aikman
05-30-2002, 04:38 PM
What do people think of the whole EU debate.

Eu has nothing to do with the saga but many people seem bothered that it doesnt.

Eu are anything that arent part of the movies (books/games).

Is it a good thing or bad thing that EU exists?

Why did they make figures of characters that never were in the movies, or of conceptual ideas?

Does having EU add or take away from the George Lucas saga?

CooLJoE
05-30-2002, 04:46 PM
Personally I don't think EU is needed at all. Why even make alternate stories for existing characters? Why not just make everything based on one single story line?

Like my friend and I were looking through TRU and came across X-Men Evolution figures. He said he liked it, not the greatest, but he liked it. Personally I hate the idea of X-men being kids at a high school and having Senator Kelly be a principal in the school. Its just lame and ruins the X-Men idea IMO.

SW doesn't rewrite major storylines or change them entirely, but I still don't care for them.

aikman
05-30-2002, 04:52 PM
I mean i think the possibilities are cool id guess.
Here are stories that we wouldnt get normally with our favorite characters.
The problem is when they start merging into the saga.

Wow that xmen reference is tough. Its unwatchable. Some sad attempt to cater to the kids that the xmen are too old for.
How would u like to see that and have that be your first introduction to the xmen, it would suck. You havent lived until youve seen good old weapon x ;)

pthfnder89
05-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Well I loved Timothy Zahns original Thrawn Trilogy. If all EU were like that I would say bring it on!

Unfortunately I think most of it is crap.:( Certainly not all of it, but all the comics I've tried are HORRIBLY written, and a lot of the novels are substandard. (of course I can't seem to stop buying the books;))

Obviously not everyone shares my opinion because they all sell pretty darn well, but that's my $0.02:)

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 05:18 PM
I've read about 10 of the books, and I've found them all to be of very poor quality - really awful writing. Maybe the writing is "good" for SW novels, but IMO, most of it stinks. Most of them sell pretty well but a lot of bad literature tops the NY Times bestseller list all the time, so sales figures don't say a lot to me.

However, I do love the whole SOTE spin-off (even though I don't think the book is that great) and I also love Dark Forces (I daydream about a Dark Trooper resculpt...). :)

CooLJoE
05-30-2002, 05:21 PM
Yeah, I like the Dark Forces series. Although I never really thought of them as EU since there isn't a normal universe for anything after Episode 6. And Dark Forces takes place after EP6.

And yes, a dark trooper figure would be awesome. I would love to see a reborn figure also.

MikeAndTheBots
05-30-2002, 05:23 PM
I'm a huge DF fan so I wouldn't mind if they made GOOD figures from the casts of the 3 games. Those would be some cool figures. How can hasbro go wrong with a Twi'lek with two purple lightsabers or the possibilities of a two pack with the two brothers from JK1 (forgot their names, I think it was Goc and Orc or something)?

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by MikeAndTheBots
I'm a huge DF fan so I wouldn't mind if they made GOOD figures from the casts of the 3 games. Those would be some cool figures. How can hasbro go wrong with a Twi'lek with two purple lightsabers or the possibilities of a two pack with the two brothers from JK1 (forgot their names, I think it was Goc and Orc or something)?

Pic was the small one that talked a lot, Gorc was the big one I think :)

I'd love to see new figs of the major chars from the DF series with POTJ-esque accuracy and detail. But I doubt it will happen anytime soon if ever :/

MikeAndTheBots
05-30-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Pic was the small one that talked a lot, Gorc was the big one I think :)

I'd love to see new figs of the major chars from the DF series with POTJ-esque accuracy and detail. But I doubt it will happen anytime soon if ever :/
Thanks for the names. I was thinking of making a Yun figure. It seems easy enough. Get a Final Duel Obi-Wan Ep1 figure, cut off his braid and stuff then paint his robes black and grey. A quick switceroo with POTJ Plo Koon's saber and viola! Yun can fight alongside and/or against your other figures.

eliwankenobi
05-30-2002, 06:33 PM
IMO, EU has been very hit and miss. I read the Dark Empire series and thought it was ok. I'm not a big comic fan. I didn't get any of the others. I have managed to read about 75% of the novels out there, and some are definitely better than others - but those are few and far between - just lots of mediocre, uninspired writing.
I like the idea of finding out about "other" events and characters in the SW universe, but my big issue is that there seems to be no continuity (at least until recently) between the different novels, series, one-shots, etc. They just jump around all over the place, oftentimes contradicting other stories.
I would welcome more EU figures, not so much in support of any particular book, series, or game, but more of the unique characters introduced to add a little more depth and detail to the world of SW toys, inducing the use of a little more imagination.

Bring on a new Mara Jade and Admiral Daala figures!!

pthfnder89
05-30-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
Yeah, I like the Dark Forces series. Although I never really thought of them as EU since there isn't a normal universe for anything after Episode 6. And Dark Forces takes place after EP6.

And yes, a dark trooper figure would be awesome. I would love to see a reborn figure also.

Actually Dark Forces took place before Ep4 ANH. Dark Forces 2 : Jedi Knight, and Jedi Outcast both took place after.:)

Since playing Jedi Outcast I really want a Reborn figure also. I've been working on ways to customize one but I havent made it yet.

Sith Vicious
05-30-2002, 07:54 PM
I'm all for EU. Sure the quality varies, but at least it gives people a SW fix beyond the movies, and in 3 more years, we won't even have any more of those. If people don't like EU, they can ignore it. The EU is not canon, but even Lucas has lifted ideas from it including Coruscant, double bladed lightsabers, and Aayla Secura.

MikeAndTheBots
05-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Actually Dark Forces took place before Ep4 ANH. Dark Forces 2 : Jedi Knight, and Jedi Outcast both took place after.:)

If I remember correctly, in the original DF, the first mission takes place before ep4 (you get the DS plans or something) then there's a movie talking about after the battle of Yavin Kyle was re-hired or something and all the other missions take place between 4 & 5 but don't interfear with the plot much since you don't really encounter any major characters (Vader is in a couple scenes but you never see him, he only is talking to some admiral) but you do fight Boba Fett.

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 08:21 PM
I have a very limited knowledge about the EU.Star Wars isn't Sci fi to me.The EU is definately SCIFI.IMHO.What I have read seems to be way off from the feel of canon.
I've heard all the details about Chewie's demise in the EU.But I can't stand the idea.It strikes me as the ultimate form of disrespect for what has come before.I'vwe heard that the word came down from LFL to do it.If I were the author I wouyld have told them to stuff it.Find someone else to do it for.I have too much respect fro the real deal,whether it's inventor does or not,doesn't matter.The Eu see's fit to bring back a "antihero" like Boba Fett but kills off a genuine iconic character like Chewie.That was the final turn off for me and it will never get any of my interest.I tire of the arrogance some have about having a better idea.Sorry if it sounds harsh,and it is by no means an insult to anyone who enjoys it.But i never will now.

CooLJoE
05-30-2002, 08:47 PM
Well, I never got big into DF, but JK1 and 2 were awesome. And I definetely want to see the reborn and dark troopers in figure form. Maybe even the swamptrooper.

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 09:07 PM
Oops, I screwed up trying to edit my post and I can't delete this one, for some reason...?

Forhekset
05-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Well, I never got big into DF, but JK1 and 2 were awesome. And I definetely want to see the reborn and dark troopers in figure form. Maybe even the swamptrooper.

Aw man, you gotta play the original DF. What a great game. I bought the collector's edition of JK2 that came in a collectible tin and included copies of JK and DF (both of which I already had), plus a light-up lightsabre keychain. :)

HAK
05-30-2002, 09:52 PM
well so far i like EU. the EU series and the assorted figures are great to me- now there are a few that could have been neglected (i didnt really like the imperial sentinel) but overall i like the stuff- i think it would be cool if they let the fans send in designs and make some in the EU line- eh just an idea :)

RooJay
05-31-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by aikman
What do people think of the whole EU debate.

Eu has nothing to do with the saga but many people seem bothered that it doesnt.
Those of us who like the EU might be inclined to argue that it DOES have a lot to do with the saga from OUR point of view. George Lucas may have said that none of it is canon, and many fans who don't like the EU would agree, but many of us who do like EU feel it's canon to US anyway. Anything that I don't like about the EU I just disregard! That's what's so cool about it all in my opinion! :happy:

Why did they make figures of characters that never were in the movies, or of conceptual ideas?
Why not? For someone who's a fan of the EU, I'd like to say that I love the fact that they've made figures and would LOVE to see a lot more!:D

Does having EU add or take away from the George Lucas saga?
That'd depend on your personal point of view. Personally, I think it adds. Your opinion I'm sure differs.

Adam
05-31-2002, 01:29 AM
I didn't like Chewie dieing anymore than you did Dryanta. But he died for a reason. The books had become so dull. Everyone knew that the heroes would win the day eventually and that everyone would come out ok. But Chewies death changes all this. No one is really safe anymore. (Well ok, there are SOME characters they can't kill off.) The NJO has an edge to it. Sure deep down we all know that at the end the heroes will win the day, both at what cost? Corucants being trashed and half the galaxy is enslaved.

I'm not going tosay that these are the greatest books. Dark Tide is probably Stackpoles weakest, and Vector Prime and Balance Point are just plain boring. But there are some good ones such as Star by Star, and Enemy Lines. I mean, we can't judge the entire trilogy through The Phantom Menace. It's just not right. So don't judge the EU on just one bad experience. That last sentence goes for everyone.

yukface27
05-31-2002, 01:41 AM
EU for the most part is great. Some stories and books I don't like, because they are really predictable. A lot of the stories I like, because they tell a story that happened behind the scenes, that usually is quite possible. I will admit, some of the stories (like in Tales from Jabba's Palace for example) are quite outlandish, but most are good. I really enjoy a lot of the comics. Some of the SW artwork is just great. Some of the stories can be a little stupid, but for the most part they are great. Lets keep EU alive.

Adam
05-31-2002, 01:43 AM
My list for EU figures:
1) Reborn
2) A good Kyle Katarn
3) A good Mara Jade
4) Desaan
5) Shadowtroopers(The dark suited reborn in Jk2. cant remember if thats their name.
6)Talon Karrde
7)Corran Horn(Xwing pilot or Jedi)
8)Tycho Celchu(This ones kinda an OT! He's the Awing pilot who leads the TIEs out of the second Dstar.
9)Ysanne Isard
10)(as much as i hate him) Kyp Durron
11)Any Wraith!(Face Loran with painted mechanics mask!Myn Donos with Sniper Rifle!Kell Tainer with hydrospanner clobberin action! Ton Phanan with "Oh c*ap another peice of me fell off action! Come on what kid wouldn't want Piggy the Gamorean X-wing pilot in their collection!....
12) Booster Terrick
13) Mirax Terrick Horn
14) E'legos
15)A new Grnd Adm. Thrawn
16)Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo. (Jedi)
17) Tenel Ka with fiber cord and removable arm.
18) Zekk. ( He could have a light side darkside variation..)
19)Nom Anor
20) Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
21) Ganner Rhysode and more Jedi then you can shake a stick at!

*sigh* It's too bad NONE of these will ever be made.

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Adam
My list for EU figures:
1) Reborn
2) A good Kyle Katarn
3) A good Mara Jade
4) Desaan
5) Shadowtroopers(The dark suited reborn in Jk2. cant remember if thats their name.
6)Talon Karrde
7)Corran Horn(Xwing pilot or Jedi)
8)Tycho Celchu(This ones kinda an OT! He's the Awing pilot who leads the TIEs out of the second Dstar.
9)Ysanne Isard
10)(as much as i hate him) Kyp Durron
11)Any Wraith!(Face Loran with painted mechanics mask!Myn Donos with Sniper Rifle!Kell Tainer with hydrospanner clobberin action! Ton Phanan with "Oh c*ap another peice of me fell off action! Come on what kid wouldn't want Piggy the Gamorean X-wing pilot in their collection!....
12) Booster Terrick
13) Mirax Terrick Horn
14) E'legos
15)A new Grnd Adm. Thrawn
16)Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin Solo. (Jedi)
17) Tenel Ka with fiber cord and removable arm.
18) Zekk. ( He could have a light side darkside variation..)
19)Nom Anor
20) Yuuzhan Vong Warrior
21) Ganner Rhysode and more Jedi then you can shake a stick at!

*sigh* It's too bad NONE of these will ever be made.

That's a good list - I would add:

Phase 3 Dark Trooper (new sculpt, mega articulation)
Yun
Jerec
Sariss
Jan Ors
"Dark" Kyle Katarn
Pic & Gorc (two-pack)

No, none of those will ever be made...but we can dream can't we?

And yeah the dark suited guys from JK2 with the crystals in their chests were Shadowtroopers.

aikman
05-31-2002, 10:08 AM
EU doesnt bother me that it exists.
The problem I have is that you have so many books and they arent all tied together continuitywise.
Killing chewie was a joke and cant believe another writer hasnt just ignored his death and brought him back.

That is kinda the problem with EU that I have is that I almost compare it to eating chinese food.
You eat it and then an hour later you are hungry again.
You read the book and then an hour later you realize none of this stuff happens in the canon star wars universe, kinda like a dream sequence or something.

As far as the figs go:
I like pretty much any fig I can get, although that dumb looking chewie disguise looked really bad...

pthfnder89
05-31-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Adam
The NJO has an edge to it. Sure deep down we all know that at the end the heroes will win the day, both at what cost? Corucants being trashed and half the galaxy is enslaved.

I'm not going tosay that these are the greatest books. Dark Tide is probably Stackpoles weakest, and Vector Prime and Balance Point are just plain boring. But there are some good ones such as Star by Star, and Enemy Lines. I mean, we can't judge the entire trilogy through The Phantom Menace. It's just not right. So don't judge the EU on just one bad experience. That last sentence goes for everyone.

Well I definitely won't judge all EU from just a couple peices. I've read all the main novels (never read the Rogue Squadron series) so I have a pretty clear idea of what they are like.

The last half-dozen or so books before NJO had the worst, ridiculous plots of any of them and I started to REALLY lose interest.
But it's strange when it comes to NJO, I really like most of the stories, it's just the awful dialogue and boring characters that get me. The action sequences are usually very neat but in between them is sometimes nothing but whining Jedi, arguing with each other constantly about the proper use of the Force and whether Jedi shouild fight or not, while the entire Galaxy is being destroyed.:rolleyes:

It's not that I don't enjoy interaction between characters, but they rarely say anything new. If all the unnecessary lines were cut from the NJO novels, they would each be about 1/3 the size that they are. And it's compounded by the fact that most of the authors can't seem to write realistic dialogue to save their lives.

But I keep reading because every once in a while something big happens and I get to picture in my mind how awesome the destruction of Coruscant would look or imagine Luke cutting down a regimant of Yuuzahn Vong with two lightsabers....

pthfnder89
05-31-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Sith Vicious
I'm all for EU. Sure the quality varies, but at least it gives people a SW fix beyond the movies, and in 3 more years, we won't even have any more of those. If people don't like EU, they can ignore it. The EU is not canon, but even Lucas has lifted ideas from it including Coruscant, double bladed lightsabers, and Aayla Secura.

Yeah it's mostly just a "fix" for me too. I'll read the books but if I don't like one I pretty much just ignore it.:)

I have a question though; where do you eblieve Lucas lifted Coruscant and double-bladed lightsabers from? I haven't read all the Jedi comics but I don't remember seeing any doublebladed sabers in the ones I read.

And his version of Coruscant looks pretty much exactly like Ralph MaQuarries concept artwork from back before ANH was made.

JON9000
05-31-2002, 11:01 AM
As far as the toys go, I could probably live without it. If it must be done, I think an EU figure here and there mixed in with the waves would be alright. When whole waves are devoted to EU, I kind of lose interest for awhile. I think the Clone Emperor kinda blew EU for me. To me, it completely devalued the end of Jedi. If you as an author cannot come up with a new, strong antagonist and need to start recycling, that's when I get off the bus.

chris
05-31-2002, 12:47 PM
The toys were kind of good idea, I only have some of them though. They were really popular, so some people really like them. As for the books, as long as they stay interesting and follow the movies, they are alright. BUT, when I say "stay interesting", i don't mean killing off good characters like chewie to mix things up, that really upset. As far as the comics go, the only ones i've seen aren't very good IMO.

Herby
05-31-2002, 01:03 PM
I just have to say that someone a few messages back finally has allowed me to put a finger on what bothers me about EU stuff. EU is Scifi and Star wars isn't. I had never stopped to think about it, but although Starwars happens in space and is fiction, I've never really considered it sci fi. It's always been a fantasy type of story, more like the Princess Bride than Star Trek. It's much more character based than most other scifi stuff, and the books simply don't reflect that within the few books I've tried to read.

As a side note, if done in the same quantities as the POTJ stuff or the Saga line, there would not be enough people to support a line of EU to the extent that some of you fans would want. First, take your current market of figure sales...

100%
-5% Too young to read the books
-10% Only collect the originial trilogy
-25% Don't care about the books
-15% Haven't read that specific book or don't like that book
====

You are already down to 45% of your audience for toys. I'm even being generous...I think more than 25% of us don't care about the books at all.

So, as a line...no. However, as one or two figures every once and awhile, more of us who want one of everything will purchase them. I, for example, bought the POTJ stuff (like Snowbi Wan) since it was mixed in, but skipped the EU line when it came out since I felt an entire line was easier to leave out without feeling bad about the whole in my collection.

Adam
05-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Haven't read the X-wing Novels?! Thoses are some of the best ones! And any Allston Xwing books are d*mned funny.

I tottally understand where your coming from pathfinder. New Rebellion. Bad. Planet of Twightlight. Bad.

And about Jedi whining.. Jacen Solo needs to be smacked with a lightsaber hilt until he realizes he wrong.

Adam
05-31-2002, 01:12 PM
Herby, I for one don't want an entire line devoted to EU. I know that wouldn't work out. Like you said, what I want is for Hasbro to toss us a Corran Horn or a Yuuzhan Vong everynow and then.

Darth Evil
05-31-2002, 02:57 PM
I'd love to see a few EU figures, but I've made this quite clear in similar topics.

Sith Vicious
05-31-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Yeah it's mostly just a "fix" for me too. I'll read the books but if I don't like one I pretty much just ignore it.:)

I have a question though; where do you eblieve Lucas lifted Coruscant and double-bladed lightsabers from? I haven't read all the Jedi comics but I don't remember seeing any doublebladed sabers in the ones I read.

And his version of Coruscant looks pretty much exactly like Ralph MaQuarries concept artwork from back before ANH was made.

The double bladed lightsaber appeared in one of the Tales of the Jedi limited series way before TPM. The blades were shorter, and the handle was longer, but it was still there. I suppose it's debateable whether Lucas developed the idea on his own, but I wouldn't be suprised if this was the inspiration.

As far as Coruscant, I was referring to the name, not the concept of the imperial capital planet itself. I'm almost totally sure Zahn came up with the name. I thought the idea of it being a planet completely covered by one big city originated in the novels also, but I haven't seen the concept painting you're referring to, so maybe I'm wrong.

JediIan
05-31-2002, 08:57 PM
I was looking through my visual dictionary for EP2 and i saw the Coruscant Underlevels page, if you have it go ahead and look that page up now. I see so many cool things that would make awesome toys... the Duracrete Slug, Stone Mites, Klatoonian and Nikto outcasts. But I don't remember any of this from the movie, so i was wondering, could this ever be made? or is it considered EU?

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 08:59 PM
I didnt catch any of that in the movie,but Duracrete Slugs are featured in some of the books.Disgusting little things if you ask me.

As for them ever made,I hope so.It would be cool to have things from the underworld of Coruscant.:D

jed
05-31-2002, 09:06 PM
I'd say they would definitley be EU. But most EU toys have a much greater role in the EU world than those shown in the Ep2 dictionary. MAybe we are going to see more in the future.
Speaking of EU. I think Aurra Sing should have been an EU figure.

Vortex
05-31-2002, 09:07 PM
Yea I'd have to say it was EU.

It would be cool to have, but I'm guessing none of that will ever get made.

A'Sharad Hett
05-31-2002, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I agree Jed, I think she should have been an EU figure, then we could of had a lightsaber for her, maybe some saber hilts from the Jedi she's killed.

Lord Tenebrous
06-01-2002, 01:07 AM
Aurra Sing *is* EU. She has 2.5 seconds of screen time. Her figure is EU, with an EU-themed Force File. She has a lightsaber in a back pocket of her vest. And if you want her to hold one, just grab a generic saber for her.

That said, most stuff in the VD is in the films, usually in the background. Some stuff if just more visible than others (like the Installer droids fixing Padme's window).

The only thing is, I don't know if Hasbro even considers using the Lucasfilm books for referencing.

CooLJoE
06-01-2002, 01:13 AM
Forhekset - Actually I have the collector's edition of Jedi Outcast and have the DF that came with it. Just never though of playing it. Maybe someday (if it even works with windows XP).

RooJay
06-03-2002, 08:08 PM

The double bladed lightsaber appeared in one of the Tales of the Jedi limited series way before TPM. The blades were shorter, and the handle was longer, but it was still there. I suppose it's debateable whether Lucas developed the idea on his own, but I wouldn't be suprised if this was the inspiration.

As far as Coruscant, I was referring to the name, not the concept of the imperial capital planet itself. I'm almost totally sure Zahn came up with the name. I thought the idea of it being a planet completely covered by one big city originated in the novels also, but I haven't seen the concept painting you're referring to, so maybe I'm wrong.

The double bladed lightsaber I saw in Tales of the Jedi (the one belonging to Sith Lord Exar Kun) looked like it had normal sized blades and a shorter (than Maul's) handle. I also recall hearing that Chris Gossett (the comics artist and designer of the double bladed lightsaber) actually received creator credit from Lucasfilm. I can't remember where I'd heard this (though I seem to recall that he's actually thanked in the credits of TPM), but I'm certain I didn't just dream it.

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Forhekset - Actually I have the collector's edition of Jedi Outcast and have the DF that came with it. Just never though of playing it. Maybe someday (if it even works with windows XP).

Ah, actually I've heard that a lot of older games don't work with XP at all, unfortunately. :( DF is a classic. I love that darn game.

pthfnder89
06-04-2002, 01:37 PM

Ok, I wasn't too sure about that one since I've never read the early Jedi comics.

Coruscant, in both name and concept though has been around since the first film. It was never used but Lucas originally planned on having it appear in ROTJ I believe. But obviously showing the busy planet the way he wanted to was basically impossible back then so it was dropped. I have a couple references of Lucas talking about Coruscant at home but maybe someone here has a link to some info on it. :)

RooJay
06-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Actually, the name Coruscant IS attributed to Timothy Zahn. The Imperial City-Planet was named by Lucas "Had Abbadon, capital of the Galactic Empire" as late as the rough draft of ROTJ until the concept was dropped for use in Ep. 6. At least according to the Annotated Screenplays

yukface27
06-04-2002, 07:54 PM
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! I thought the author of "Shadows of the Empire" gave the name for the Imperial City. I think it was Steve Perry who wrote SotE and he made up the name Coruscant. I remember reading that he had to pass the name through Lucas and Lucas gave it the O.K. Right now, I'm pretty darn sure that's what happened. I think I read it a long while ago in an issue of the "Insider."

saladin
06-04-2002, 08:25 PM
well i've read lot of Eu and some is pure crap, but then again some is worth picking up. I've read a couple that make seem like a whole new person and with that gave me new respect for Mr.Kenobi.So i guess i like EU but alot is pure crap.

RooJay
06-04-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by yukface27
WAIT, WAIT, WAIT! I thought the author of "Shadows of the Empire" gave the name for the Imperial City. I think it was Steve Perry who wrote SotE and he made up the name Coruscant. I remember reading that he had to pass the name through Lucas and Lucas gave it the O.K. Right now, I'm pretty darn sure that's what happened. I think I read it a long while ago in an issue of the "Insider."

Then how do you account for the fact that the name Coruscant appears in Zahn's trilogy, which was released YEARS before Shadows of the Empire?