PDA

View Full Version : Is Star Wars really only a male thing???



Jonna
05-30-2002, 04:02 PM
I know that I have mostly seen males buying the toys in stores and have ever personally really known one female SW fan. So I ask you: Are there any hard core female fans out there?:confused:

Kyo-Kasahara
05-30-2002, 05:02 PM
I certainly hope so;)

Dryanta
05-30-2002, 05:09 PM
There are few Girls/women around here that I know of.The ratio must be about 250:1 though.
If I could explain why there aren't more than I'd be able to answer alot of other questions I have too ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
05-30-2002, 05:52 PM
When I went to see AOTC, most of the people were guys. It seemed like the vast majority of women there were with their husbands or boyfriends. I remember walking past the whole line and not seeing one group of just girls.

I guess Star Wars to females is like Ya-Ya to males. :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
05-30-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
When I went to see AOTC, most of the people were guys. It seemed like the vast majority of women there were with their husbands or boyfriends. I remember walking past the whole line and not seeing one group of just girls.

I guess Star Wars to females is like Ya-Ya to males. :)

Just like we scratch our heads when the females ooh and aah at the sight of Yanni, Fabio or John Tesh, I guess many of them feel the same way about Star Wars. But I did see many a girl at the AOTC showing, and yes, most of them were probably accompanying their lovers. Still, I saw a lot of smiles and faces of wonder from girls young and old after the movie was over. My bro's girlfriend was enamored by it, and she wants to see it again.

So in summation, there are a tons of female SW fans out there, but maybe they aren't gaga about it as we are, so that is why there are so few on SirSteves.

JetsAndHeels
05-30-2002, 11:24 PM
I met a girl in the mall here last month who was in Suncoast. I was looking at the new AOTC poster and she walked up to me and started talking about it. She was telling me all about it, about the new toys, the movie, etc. Basically she was a female version of me!! It was then that I knew they existed, even though they are rare. I also knew I was in love!! Too bad, I havent seen her since....

2-1B
05-31-2002, 01:17 AM
Jango96, "you old smoothy" ;)

Can't say I personally know one single (single as in 1, not single as in . . . available) female who is a hardcore fan, but oh how I wish they were numerous!
However, I do know a few with a passing interest in it.
Well, on two different showings I encountered "Hayden groupies", I'll withold comments on that for the time being.

*Caesar presses Submit Reply button and waits for InsaneJediGirl to find this thread* :D

Pendo
05-31-2002, 05:35 AM
I know a few female SW Fans. I think maybe there are more men, but not much more. There are alot of female fans on this forum that I would call "hardcore fans".

PENDO!

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Jango96, "you old smoothy" ;)

Can't say I personally know one single (single as in 1, not single as in . . . available) female who is a hardcore fan, but oh how I wish they were numerous!
However, I do know a few with a passing interest in it.
Well, on two different showings I encountered "Hayden groupies", I'll withold comments on that for the time being.

*Caesar presses Submit Reply button and waits for InsaneJediGirl to find this thread* :D

LOL:D

I have never seen a fangirl in my years of collecting.I've seen wives/girlfriends/etc of fans buying figures and mumbling about how stupid these plastic toys were.:rolleyes:

Caesar..What are "Hayden Groupies"..or do I even want to know??

Mandalorian Candidat
05-31-2002, 11:41 AM
I work with a few girls in my chemical lab, but they're all into Harry Potter. Maybe because they're about 19-20 or because HP is more appealing, I don't know. Come to think of it, even when I was a kid I didn't know any girls who liked SW, just Barbie stuff.

Brave Sir Robin
05-31-2002, 11:43 AM
There are plenty of Star Wars fan girls at my school

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 12:26 PM
I know a few females who are fans of stuff, mostly because I used to play alot of Jedi Knights and some of those attracted to those types of games also became fans of SW. All the ones I've met though have never really been very fanatic about it as me though...

I remember awhile back though about a girl who was the talk of the collector community (well, kinda) for a little and what she was mostly famous for was havin two ebay auctions and one had Tat. Maul and the other was a JD Maul but the only reason they became "famous" was because in the picture she put on the auctions she posed in just Darth Maul boxers with the Darth Maul figures covering up her chest.

I just felt like throwing that into the convo. :D And just in case anyone is wondering, no, I never saved the picture. ;)

I think it was mostly just the female roles (or lack thereof) that wasn't a big motivation for females to become major fans of the movie until Padme Amidala.

Oh yeah, I personally know 2 female big SW fans - My mom and my aunt. :D

r2dee2
05-31-2002, 12:41 PM
I think there are a LOT more than you imagine...perhaps not as many post at SSG, but I've seen a lot post to the official SW.com forums. I consider myself a big SW fan...just check out my website:) and I'm female...although an "older" female.

2-1B
05-31-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by InsaneJediGirl
Caesar..What are "Hayden Groupies"..or do I even want to know??

Well, we were sitting in theater awaiting the film's start, and a group of young ladies entered. As they were heading up the stairs (stadium seating) one of them suggested they go all the way to the back. Another girl vehemently insisted that they sit right in the middle of the place so that "they could see every minute of 'him' perfectly." I know it was Hayden they were talking about, since I doubt teenage girls are attracted to mullets (sorry Ewan). :D

And at the other showing I referenced, when the credits hit and everyone got up, we were exiting behind a group of females and they were whimpering about "how hot he was" in addition to "how hot he looked when he was crying. :cry: " :D

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Caesar


Well, we were sitting in theater awaiting the film's start, and a group of young ladies entered. As they were heading up the stairs (stadium seating) one of them suggested they go all the way to the back. Another girl vehemently insisted that they sit right in the middle of the place so that "they could see every minute of 'him' perfectly." I know it was Hayden they were talking about, since I doubt teenage girls are attracted to mullets (sorry Ewan). :D

And at the other showing a referenced, when the credits hit and everyone got up, we were exiting behind a group of females and they were whimpering about "how hot he was" in addition to "how hot he looked when he was crying. :cry: " :D

That is very disturbing.Caesar.:crazed:

r2dee2,I think there could be a lot more female fans than we think.However,I feel they are more fans of the movies,and not
fanatics who buy the toys,pillow cases,underoos,etc.

Vortex
05-31-2002, 01:02 PM
I know there were quite a few female collectors/fan back when I worked at TRU in my old college days. Sometimes it was great to talk to them...a couple of them asked me out for coffee but I think they were just trying to soften me up since I worked in the back and had access to the new cases and figs...

Heck even a friends old ex was a star wars freak. I designed an office space for a law firm in montana and the contact out there was a star wars fan and star trek fan. She's into all the sci-fi stuff, but just doesn't know where to look on the net. I tried to get her into his wonderful fold, but she's just not biting.

There are plent of them out there, but I'm sure they are rather quiet about it, or surf the net for other things than star wars.

JediDan
06-02-2002, 04:09 PM
A few years ago I was at a TRU looking through the SW pegs and then I hear a voice saying what figure you looking for? I look back and here it was a 10. ;) We talked for about 15 minutes about all things SW toys. She is a huge fan and a bigger collector than I was. Needless to say I was in love. :D That was about 5 years ago and I have yet to see ONE female looking for SW toys for herself since. :( :(

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Yea I have met a few in the aisles of TRU and at work and suprisingly, they were pretty hot. Most other girls that were SW fans that I knew of were rather homely looking.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 05:05 PM
They're out there.

http://www.toysrgus.com/images-props/vader-costume.html

Chicks dig the dark side!

JediDan
06-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Whew, now she is hot...... ooooohhhhhh mama!!!! :D

sith_killer_99
06-03-2002, 09:32 PM
Actually I saw a girl at TRU a couple of weeks ago looking through the SW pegs she spent more time than I did looking for figures.

She ended up buying like 2-3 figures.

The thing is she was with her mom. She couldn't have been more than 14. I thought, wow, maybe kids these days ARE still interested in SW! And more suprising GIRLS???:eek:

SithDroid
06-03-2002, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
I work with a few girls in my chemical lab, but they're all into Harry Potter. Maybe because they're about 19-20 or because HP is more appealing, I don't know. Come to think of it, even when I was a kid I didn't know any girls who liked SW, just Barbie stuff.

I agree. I have met more women that are into Harry Potter than SW. The only girl I know who is really into SW who would buy figures and stuff is an ex-coworker. There were a lot of women at SW, but I think they were mainly goin because of their boyfriend/husbands. There were definately more men.