PDA

View Full Version : My Design for a Deluxe Hoth Luke

mista_carrot
05-30-2002, 11:13 PM
I don't know if we'll ever get a new Hoth Luke, but if we do, I hope it's something like this.

The figure would come with an ice cave base and ceiling, so you could re-enact the Wampa cave scene. Of course, Luke has a magnet in his right hand so he can Force-attract his metal lightsaber hilt. My design also has ball-jointed hips so he can ride the Tauntaun if you have it. The hips are hidden by a cloth shirt bottom. The functional holster is molded seperately and goes over the cloth and attaches to the leg and belt.

There might be too much articulation in the arms, so maybe the bicep-cuts should be deleted. Anyhoo, has anyone else envisioned what a new Saga-styled Hoth Luke would look like?

RooJay
05-30-2002, 11:57 PM
Cool design.

JediTricks
05-31-2002, 02:37 AM
Very impressive! Let's hope Hasbro sees your design and runs with it instead of scrapping it in fear of you suing them over it. I think for a deluxe, you can't have enough articulation on this bad boy, and this is the perfect use of GOOD magnets!

187-Maul
05-31-2002, 09:15 AM
WOW
cool design
but a ROTJ jedi luke with that articulation would be even cooler
you're really talented in drawing man

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 09:19 AM
I think we should all start putting things like this up on the boards. It would be cool to see what kind of talent and imagination is out there!

Nice design! :happy:

Rogue II
05-31-2002, 09:32 AM
That's pretty cool.

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Nice design. I can't imagine that Hasbro would produce anything this cool, but we can hope. :)

Jonna
05-31-2002, 11:00 AM
Really great idea!!! Hoth and Bespin are my favorite Luke outfits. Can you tell I'm an Empire fan.

billfremore
05-31-2002, 11:02 AM
Excellent idea! Hasbro should hire you.

Got any other designs?

JON9000
05-31-2002, 11:09 AM
That sounds cool! I think it would be good too if that came with a lightsaber with a removable blade or just the hilt- there could be a small indention in the floor where the hilt rests- maybe also some sort of button on the ceiling that frees Luke so he can come crashing to the floor. I love the Wampa scene.

mrmiller
05-31-2002, 12:44 PM
Nice design- too bad that it's not drawn in crayon on the back of a napkin. Seems like that's what hasbro uses when designing theirs. Your's is to advanced for them to understand.

mrmiller
05-31-2002, 12:49 PM
Actually, I must take back some of my sarcasm. I really like the look of the new Hasbro line, but the articulation is horrible. (more the engineering than design?) Many figures are pre posed figurines, not action figures. And what’s the deal with the figures not fitting into the ships? Anyhow a cool Hoth Luke would be awesome. With the cave setup, maybe it could/would be a deluxe figure. They could also release a new deluxe roaring Wampa with swipe action- since no one has the beast assortment.

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 01:06 PM
Yeah, they definitely need to release a new Wampa if they release a new Hoth Luke. No way I'm paying $40 on eBay for the Beast one. :rolleyes:

Although I bet if they did make a new Hoth Luke, they'd make his face slightly cut or something to recreate the "battle damage" and then people on this forum who complain about Bespin Luke's "battle damage" would be griping about the Hoth Luke, too....

We ask for more detail, Hasbro gives us more detail. Then we complain that there's too much detail and it messes up the fig. You just can't please some people. :)

mista_carrot
05-31-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the compliments guys! I've been dreaming of a new Hoth Luke since the POTJ line, and now with all the Saga-isms (nice accessories, magnets) it just seemed like a really cool Hoth Luke could be made. I was debating whether or not he should be "battle-damaged", and I've concluded that he shouldn't be. That way, customizers could make him battle-damaged if they wanted to.
Oh yeah, it's kind of hard to see the accessories on the side of the image. From top to bottom: Ice cave base and ceiling, macro-binoculars, goggles, blaster, and lightsaber with metal hilt.
I too, would like to see a new Final Duel Luke. We've had a lot of incarnations of Jedi Luke, but none of them are all that great. I'd also like to see a new Hoth Han, and Luke and Han in Stormtrooper disguise.

Unit-01
05-31-2002, 06:46 PM
Man, nice, awesome artwork. Make a Jedi Luke! You got anymore stuff?

DarthMaulSithLord
05-31-2002, 07:02 PM
Awesome design! But instead of metals in the hands, what about metal hands. So the whole hand(s) is a magnet. That would increase the strength of the magnet significantly. Also, you could add a metal ring on the belt so the hilt can hang there.

Nicely drawn btw!!!

:eek:

Dooku Fett
05-31-2002, 07:08 PM
Nice drawing and ideas.

mista_carrot
05-31-2002, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
Awesome design! But instead of metals in the hands, what about metal hands. So the whole hand(s) is a magnet. That would increase the strength of the magnet significantly. Also, you could add a metal ring on the belt so the hilt can hang there.

:eek:

I've thought about making the whole hand a magnet, but I doubt Hasbro would ever do such a thing. As long as the magnet is as strong as Obi-Wan's I'd be happy. I'm trying to stay in the realm of Hasbro possiblity :)

I also meant to add the idea of the little magnet in the belt, so you could hang the hilt from it; I believe someone actually did that on this forum with a Kit Fisto.

Unit-01
07-09-2002, 09:56 PM
I think it's just too cool to hang at the bottom.

hango fett
07-10-2002, 09:00 AM
i like it! do some more like that!
hango

lunchymeatball
07-10-2002, 09:07 AM
Thats an excellent design Carrot.

MikeAndTheBots
07-10-2002, 10:43 AM
That's a cool design. I always liked the way the everyone's Hoth gear looked.

mista_carrot
07-10-2002, 04:40 PM
Wow, didn't expect to see this on the front page again :)

I also did a Luke Jedi Knight design; here's a link to the post:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=98582#post98582

I was thinking of doing a Hoth Han, but I just haven't sat down and thought it all through.

Darth Nitwit
07-11-2002, 10:09 PM
that is really great. Hopfully Hasbro will pick up on some of your ideas.

rynobot
07-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Even if Hasbro tried to copy the design they would still mess it up somehow.

thespar
07-11-2002, 11:47 PM
good job. nice work with the drawing. It would make a nice toys.

Unit-01
07-12-2002, 12:49 AM
So are these the only 2 you've done?

RooJay
07-12-2002, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by rynobot
Even if Hasbro tried to copy the design they would still mess it up somehow.

My thinking too.
We'd either end up with some kind of action feature that cancels out most of the articulation, or another Luke with a massive noggin! Either that, or he'd end up as towering as Bespin Duel Vader.

mista_carrot
07-12-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Unit-01
So are these the only 2 you've done?

Yes...so far. I started working on a Vader design, but the more I thought about it, the more I didn't really want to see another Vader...at least not for a while. I think we still need a "normal" ROTJ Vader, as the sculpting on the POTF2 removeable-helmet Vader is a bit dated.

I was also thinking of doing Hoth Han, but I think he'd turn out pretty much like Hoth Luke in terms of articulation. I also wasn't sure how to do the hood. Cloth might work, but sometimes cloth doesn't work too well on small figures such as these. So I was also thinking that it could be soft plastic and removable. There would be two sculpts of the hood: one up and one down. It would just go around Han's neck to stay put.

Anyway, those are the only figures I've been thinking about. There are other figures I'd like to see redone, but these are the ones I really care about.

Unit-01
07-12-2002, 03:09 PM
Like pegs on the hood(s), and holes around where ever, to keep it in place.