PDA

View Full Version : Is your Royal Guard having paint problems w/ pike?

JediTricks
05-31-2002, 01:43 AM
I think the Saga Royal Guard is a pretty cool figure, but the one I have has so much trouble with the paint on its pike accessory. The silver and black paints always stick to the figure both at the hands and the outer cape no matter how many times I pull it off of them, often the paint will come off the pike and stick to the figure instead. The weather appears to have nothing to do with this, nor is the paint still wet because even after a week, it's still doing this.

So I was wondering, is mine the only one with these troubles, or is it like this for everybody?

2-1B
05-31-2002, 01:46 AM
YES

The silver is fine but the black has a few chunks missing. :mad:

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 01:48 AM
I haven't taken the clear band off my figure, I usually don't do that unless I have an extra opener to play with so it's ok if it won't hold it accessory after pulling off the clear band cause the first one will. However with this I don't think I'll pull any of the bands off when/if I get extra Royal Guards, no need to anyways, they never do anything but stand there with their pikes so oh well. :happy:

fourtwo
05-31-2002, 01:50 AM
mine seems ok, but i don't play with it that much...maybe thats why.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 01:50 AM
Both of my Royal Guards have problems with paint coming off the pike and sticking to their hand. I've also noticed that the paint on the visor is very weak, as one of my Royal Guards fell over and lost a big chunk of paint from his visor. :mad:

JediTricks
05-31-2002, 02:17 AM
Thanks for that warning about the visor BB, that'd make me so angry if I had let that happen. What is it with this figure and these paint issues?!?

Basker, if yours are like mine, you can take the rubber band off and the pike will stick to the hand, even if the figure is upside-down!

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 07:03 AM
Yeah, that happened to me too. I got 4 Royal Guards and took the rubber band off one, to see what other poses he could get into, and when I removed the pike I noticed he had splotches of paint on his hand and big areas on the pike handle that were missing paint. :( Plus mine can hardly hold their pikes if you remove the rubber band, so for my other 3 I just left 'em on. :rolleyes: Not like he has any other cool poses anyway....

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 08:17 AM
Ooh... thank God I am not the only one having this problem. I have two of these and this really bugs me. It's pretty bizarre that the paint comes off so easily, but other accessories with paint don't have quite the problem these force pikes do. Another Hasblah success story!

fourtwo
05-31-2002, 02:31 PM
thats so weird...
i checked mine last night and it doesn't do anything like that.

SuperBattleDroid88
05-31-2002, 02:36 PM
My Jar Jar's staff has really weak paint on it too... Just from him holding it a big chunk of the paint is gone. (On the Brown parts of the staff) It really makes me mad! I just kept my rubber band on the royal guard... I keep the rubber bands on all the SAGA figures that have. Clonetrooper (Preview) and Luminara Unduli (Jedi Master)'s rubber bands came off though...

Deoxyribonucleic
05-31-2002, 02:51 PM
one of the one's I got had black paint specks on the cloak AND his left hand (one w/o pike) looks like it has SO MUCH paint on it that when it was put in the "plastic mold holder" the hand was up againt the front of the bubble and dried all flat like so his hand is totally deformed.

BUT all in all I still love this figure...a royal guard that FINALLY has legs and feet and not just some hunk of hollow plastic easter bunny guard.

DarthBrandon
05-31-2002, 03:20 PM
Mine seems fine no problems at all.

Forhekset
05-31-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Deoxyribonucleic
one of the one's I got had black paint specks on the cloak AND his left hand (one w/o pike) looks like it has SO MUCH paint on it that when it was put in the "plastic mold holder" the hand was up againt the front of the bubble and dried all flat like so his hand is totally deformed.

BUT all in all I still love this figure...a royal guard that FINALLY has legs and feet and not just some hunk of hollow plastic easter bunny guard.

I think the new RG rules as well. As soon as they put these things on clearance I'm assembling a big ol' entourage for my Emperor Palpatine fig.

Darth Annexis
05-31-2002, 04:09 PM
I first noticed this problem with the E1 figures...my Kenobi figure where the Light Saber prop would attach to his belt left a foot print where it was.

My Royal Guard's Pike has also lost it's paint...found it on the figures hand. Very disapointing...it's the paint, Silver and Gloss black are hard mixes for Acrylic paint.

I was expecting that the figure would be awesome...but they cheezed out like on the rest of them...I think the Vintage was better!

Lman316
05-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Yep. Same thing happening with mine. But I guess I really wasn't surprised when I noticed it. It's been happening all the more frequently now, like with the POTJ Dagobah Vader's saber and on the POTJ E's Wrath Vader's saber. The paint jobs and their quality are going right down the toilet.

On another note about the Royal Guard, does anyone else's figure slant to one side? Like one leg is longer than the other? That's how mine stands up. I have another one, but it's still sealed (I want to wait until I have enough room to display him), so I can't check him yet.

End :).

Vortex
05-31-2002, 04:31 PM
I don't know if this will help but in architectural school when we made models, sketched, painted, what have you. We always sprayed our work down with workable fixative. It kept drawings and some paints from smudging. Might work here.

I've never tried it on plastic...might eat it away, but if you have 2 or 3 and are willing give it a shot on a test peice it might help. If not I'm sure some one at an art store will know of something or some fix.

fourtwo
05-31-2002, 06:26 PM
well, i checked again and low and behold there is silver paint in his hand.
:(

Deoxyribonucleic
06-01-2002, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Lman316
On another note about the Royal Guard, does anyone else's figure slant to one side? Like one leg is longer than the other? That's how mine stands up. I have another one, but it's still sealed (I want to wait until I have enough room to display him), so I can't check him yet.

End :).

funny you should mention that....I got several of them and only one does that and I thought "How weird is that, I wonder what's wrong with him?" So I twisted his torso a bit to the side and he looks a bit better now.

JediTricks
06-01-2002, 04:53 AM
The RG I have is listing to his right slightly, but it doesn't bother me that much, nowhere near as much as the huge patch of pale white plastic that's now showing on the pike and the matching silver patch that's left in the figure's hand.