PDA

View Full Version : Variations My Butt

Darthpost
05-31-2002, 04:59 AM
:crazed:
Ok I'm sorry but I have to say something now.
Ever since Episode 1 came out and the figures have had minor variations has anyone else noticed that almost all of the ep2 figures have at least 1 or 2 variations per box???I think this is hasbros ploy to make us buy more and more!!!!!!
Personally i could care less whether or not the luke has a flseh colored hand peg or a silver one but lets face it, people get lazy. especially the people that work long hours in a factory making little plastic men and women and yes sometimes staring at the same thing all day long means that you miss one or two, hundred. So I'm sory but variations aren't for me. Personally I dont think my kids care either because they play with them.

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 05:34 AM
Actually it is a significant difference on Luke's hand peg... The "silver" is a magnet while the flesh colored is just a peg.

Jedi Juice
05-31-2002, 10:57 AM
Interesting. I've never found a variation on any of the figures I've seen. But then again I may not be looking hard enough.

Jonna
05-31-2002, 11:07 AM
I don't really care about all these variations. I do have the Sandtrooper on the orange card and I picked up a Japanese Luke from POTF when I was in Kyoto, but all of these little variations seem trivial.

eliwankenobi
05-31-2002, 11:35 AM
Not a variation/error hunter here. I'm happy with the one (and occasionally two) of each that I get.
I think all these insignificant "variations" only drive the scalping market more - and that's definitely NOT something I'm willing to feed into.

Herby
05-31-2002, 11:51 AM
Thank goodness someone else is saying this too. These variations are ridiculous. I mean, who cares anymore? While some can be major changes (bloody Luke comes to mind), most are just stupid (sticker over the word "pipe").

I thought most people collect these for the nostalgia of youth, doesn't buying 9 Yoda's due to different packaging give that nostalgia a big kick in the groin? Where is the fun feeling of being a kid again when you are searching for your 4th Dexter because you need one with a curled up piece of paper shoved in behind it?

ScarletX
05-31-2002, 12:00 PM
I agree with Eliwankenobi, the variations thing is a little bit out of hand. I mean the thing about the Dex figure with the word Pipe on the side... Wow, that's a bit extreme for me. And look at the bloody / non-bloody Luke. It is really a small difference. If I had my choice I would choose the bloody one, but I am very satisfied with the non-bloody one I have. Then you go on eBay and see the bloody Lukes selling for some obscene amount of money. Craziness I tell you!

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 12:06 PM
Variations I collect them from time to time because they add a bit more to your collection and when theres a significant difference (like the backgrounds) they're fun to display next to a regular version. Right now though since Hasbro's quality control has fallen theres alot of people who don't know a variation from a factory error so they're going all nutty thinking they could sell it and put even Bill Gates in awe from the profit.

Mandalorian Candidat
05-31-2002, 12:24 PM
I really dislike all the fuss that the vast majority of these variations get, like the tape over the wording on Dex's and Luminara's accessory lists. However, there are some variations that I find appealing and would rather have. Like the bloody stump Luke or the binoculars-in-the-bubble OOM-9. For me, they just make the packaging and/or figure more appealing. However, they have to be pretty major. The different colored (R) on Jorge Sacul and all the Clonetrooper paint jobs are nothing to me.

Jayspawn
05-31-2002, 12:30 PM
I'll buy something that has a major variation. But something minor (and there are a lot of these) I could care less about.

Too many variations = big deal

stormie
05-31-2002, 12:31 PM
I'm only interested in the legitimate figure variations rather than the packaging variations (BG cards, tape, etc.) and figure manufacturing/packaging errors (paint errors, etc.). The only two variations that have caught my eye in the Saga series so far have been the no-blood/bloody stump Luke and the Super Battle Droid deco variation. These are just kinda fun to get.

Darth Cynical
05-31-2002, 01:19 PM
Uh... first post. Getting used to the format, hope this works...

Indeed the variations are intentional, to fuel the collectibility, but alas, they also fuel the dreaded scalpabitlity...

Darth Cynical
05-31-2002, 01:24 PM
Uh... forgot to insert evil brooding laughter after "scalpability..." (oh and now I see I fat fingered the spelling too)
Thats what I get for first posting...

Vortex
05-31-2002, 01:49 PM
I agree variations are pointless. No one except the hardcore, hardcore collectors are gonna drool if you have a .00 boba fett on a red card. Doesn't mean jack to me or probably anyone else, or other collectors. They want more money for it, why cause one little word is changed on a card back? The photo is 2mm smaller? To me it sounds like an excuse to make good on a bad thing.

I remember guys only buying rebel troopers with the Collection 1 on the tops when I worked at TRU. Didn't want anything to do with Collection 2. Same with people flipping cards over to see what the last two numbers were .00 or .01 or .02 and to them it was a big deal.

I don't understand what the big deal is about collection numbers, missing paint, different color paint etc. To me, its all junk and should be filed under defective since its not a true perfect figure. Hey I work in the architectural field and I reject items that aren't color perfect, have defects, or vary too much from the control sample. Why should I or anyone else spend more on sub-par items or color?

What gets me is if a figure is missing an arm, leg, wrong card, its junk, and error, not worth bunk. Like a coffee table with 3 legs. But you'd think they hardcore people would want these more since they slipped out and would be very rare.

But if a figure has more dots on his armor, missing circles on his hands like old mr. fett, and his countless "errors" its a variation. Hey paint sprayers run out, the same blue paint can very in hue from one can to another, quality control doesn't exist anymore with a lot of things, but why should I pay top dollar for a defective, non mint item? Heck I wonder if should charge 50 bucks more for some of my figs where the paint is smudged in some areas, or the paint job is bad? Does this cound as a variation? It technically is differnt from the others, or the standard.

Would you pay an extra 10,000 on a car if the hood orniment was missing, or wrong, or how about had two diffent shades of one color? Would you pay extra for some one's mistake? No you would want it in its perfect condition. Would you pay an extra 10 bucks for a novel if the 3 word on page 2 is spelled wrong?

Variations are a joke. Its a mistake, a running change, and besides, I thought the big thing was the figures themselves, seems like the focus in collecting has gone from the actual toy to the flimsly package them come in.

DarthBrandon
05-31-2002, 03:28 PM
I could care less about variations because it seems that evey little mistake is a variation of some sort. Look on E-bay and I see things I've never even heard of, but people buy them anyways.
I just want one carded and one to open, that's it.
I guess variations could be for hard core collectors, I don't know, but they are not for me.

cptpinkerton
05-31-2002, 03:46 PM
I don't collect variations, but I try to be pretty aware of them because I know there are collectors who do want all of the variants, and that makes some of the variations trade bait for variations that I would be actually interested - which, like others have mentioned would be major figure differences.

Although, to counter what I just said, for some reason or another the dexter jettster with 'pipe' text is one that I want. I dunno why, I just do.
LMS

JediTricks
06-01-2002, 04:23 AM
I've been so shocked by the high amount of errors and variations coming out of Hasbro in this Saga line. It's such a high number of variations/errors in such a short amount of time, I can't imagine why Hasbro is being so inconsistant. I'm not a variation/error collector, but variations like those on Luke Bespin are just so frustrating.

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 09:07 AM
My K-Mart now has the "Secret" sticker on all the HD Anakins they have instead of the "Battle Action" sticker. If anyone's making a big deal over this variant, wonder what would happen if I exchanged a few Dexter stickers with Zam stickers. :D

QLD
06-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Variations = stupid.

I don't think they are intentional. They are either correcting mistakes they made or think they made. Or it was just plain laziness. That's all. I have never understood the appeal of collecting things that are screwed up.

sith_killer_99
06-01-2002, 03:41 PM
There is a big difference between errors (ie paint mess-ups) and variations (ie intentional changes)

I personally like to collect carded AND loose SW figures.

I enjoy collecting non-US carded variations of my favorite figures. Mostly Imperial Bad Guys (Stormies, TIE Pilots, D.S. Gunners, etc) and Bounty Hunters.

WHY, you ask? Well I have several reasons:

1. I enjoy displaying carded figs, and the tri-lingual cards look cool to me.

2. I like certain figures...ie Imp. Badies and Bounty Hunters. This gives me a reason to buy and display a couple of extras of my favorite figures.

3. The historical value. Non-US carded figures go back all the way to the original line. hasbro has choosen to keep in line with that, by producing SW on non-US cards. To me that's kinda special.

4. It's my signature or trademark. By adding these to my collection it really personalizes my collection!

As I said, I don't really collect errors, however, I do have a few in my collection. Most were found in the store by accident. I don't go out of my way for these, and I will NOT pay high prices for them.:crazed:

JediTricks
06-02-2002, 08:49 PM
QLD, the whole point of true variations is they ARE on purpose. All those unpainted visors on Jangos are errors, but the tray change to have the Jango FB flame pointing up instead of down is definitely on purpose.

That doesn't make most of 'em any better in my eyes though.

pthfnder89
06-03-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
QLD, the whole point of true variations is they ARE on purpose. All those unpainted visors on Jangos are errors, but the tray change to have the Jango FB flame pointing up instead of down is definitely on purpose.

That doesn't make most of 'em any better in my eyes though.

Exactly. Is Hasbro upset that some people will spend money buying every variaton they can find? Certainly not.

But do they make these kinds of changes with the sole intention of selling extra figures? No they aren't.

I mean a LOT of collectors couldn't care less about tiny packaging variations like the stickers over "pipe" or "removable" on the AOTC figures. It's simply mistakes at the factory and it demonstrates the difficulty in making running changes to a product line, particularly when you're on a deadline.

JangoFart
06-03-2002, 02:43 PM
Usually, I couldn't give two ****s about a variation. However, some of them are just cool and I had to get.

For instance, the bloody hand Luke is a sweet variation, as is the "Removable Cloak" Luminara, the "Pipe" Dexter, and the no dots Clone Trooper. But, the other, minor changes are as meaningless to me as anything can be. I just want the figure to add to my collection. I don't need 6 versions of the exact same figure. Although I know folks who collect every version of everything - like the Luminara that just says "cloak" b/c tape is over "Removable", and the one that has tape over both "Removable" and "cloak" and the version that ......

Bottom line is: to each his own. If we want to collect those variations, we will. If not, we won't. However, I don't like the fact that Hasbro is PURPOSEFULLY making variations of EVERY figure. It just seems wrong to me. (I don't know why, exactly. But, it just doesn't sit right with me.)

J

BTW: Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1736117615

More power to the dude who's buying that one!! I lucked into mine for about a 5th of that!

sith_killer_99
06-03-2002, 08:53 PM
WOW, only 10X retail price. What a deal.:rolleyes:

Let's see, ONE of these or an army of 10 Clone Troopers?:crazed:

I MIGHT consider trading two (common) figures for one of these.;)