PDA

View Full Version : Right way Hasbro has taken???

N-2PF
05-31-2002, 11:33 AM
Let's face the beginning. A long long time ago Kenner produces 5-point articulated figures the "ancient-egypt-style". Our playing brought the live into them. They fit perfectly together and in their vehicles and play sets. The clean plastic gets dirty, while we were playing with them.

I remember the first time I read Kenner will do Star Wars again. The question of the article was: Will they reach the quality of the old line?

No, they made it much better this time. In a "greek-style" they've produced figures with pre-("living") poses. No need for articulation - but they still have articulation (some more, some less, some not) Pre-dirted with pre-dirted vehicles. Very good to display - not to play. And there is a need, to do multiple resculpts, each of them catching one single moment more specific than before in plastic.

This is no playing stuff. This is for the collectors.

The first time I saw the new 3 3/4 inch line, I hated them and decided never to buy any of it.
And I did. But I be thankful to the ones who collect them for defeating Pokemon.

And to Hasbro for that 12"-line that I love.

Jedi Juice
05-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Well, you seem to be one of the few over here that actually likes Hasbro for what they've done with the figures. A majority of collectors blame Hasbro for the rarity of certain figures, making it very difficult to find what we want.

LTBasker
05-31-2002, 12:16 PM
What fun is collecting if you don't play with the stuff though? No articulation and statued pre-poses makes it to where you can't play or just fiddle with the figure.

It's not porcelein (sp?) and it's not lead figurines that we're collecting - it's Action Figures, but if theres no action in them, then how are they toys? Sure the gimmicks provide a little action to statue figures like Padme, but the gimmicks are ancient and can only be entertaining for a couple seconds, or however much time it takes for you to lose a lightsaber from bad gripping in the hand because it was mostly the magnet's job to hold it. More articulation is less limiting and leaves more for the imagination.

:happy:

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 12:25 PM
I think the job of Hasblah... would be to satisfy the needs of both the "Player" and the "Collector"... of which I am both!

Yes... while Luminara "looks" good... she's useless. If I were just looking to play... I would not buy it (thus, decreasing the sales). It is painfully obvious what Hasblah has done right here... You see which figures are selling and which ones are not. The ones that are not are the ones that are posed too wildly.

It's obvious. Now... what Hasblah has done right... is to add the most amazing amount of detail in the figures to make them MORE than just toys. That satisfies the collectors. Sadly... detail with less articulation is causing some figures to be ignored.

eliwankenobi
05-31-2002, 01:07 PM
Very true, JEDIpartnr. I remember when everyone was wetting themselves trying to find Luminara at MM - and now everyone complains about how "unplayable" she is.

I'm both a carded and open collector so I like some of the dynamic poses some of the characters are in. The "action" gimmicks I could do without, but for the most part, I think Hasbro's quality and detail has just improved with every line.

JEDIpartner
05-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Having them off card... I would like a little more poseability with my figures. I like to take them off my displays from time to time and repose them. Sadly, "Splits" Unduli can't accomplish that. Padme's a waste, but- for all the complaints we've been getting about the other figures like Dooku, HD Anakin, CC Obi-Wan... I think those aren't bad at all.

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 02:33 PM
Its a shame that Luminara and Shaak Ti have to be one pose wonders.I have both..they look good on display..but if I wanted to make a Jedi council scene,it would be usless.Luminara cant get out of the "Super Star" pose and Shaak Tis arms just move a bit.

I think Hasbro could do a detailed figure and still make it playable/articulated.However,Hasbro is worried about profits and sales,not on how many points of articulation a figure will have.

N-2PF
05-31-2002, 08:18 PM
To Jedi Juice: No, I hate what Hasbro have done to the 3 3/4 figures. That's not my thing.
You should'nt blame Hasbro for the rarity of certain figures. If there were enough for all or more than needed, everybody would wait for clearance. And the main emotion, that keeps us by the (Star Wars)-line is not 'to have' but 'to want'.

To LT Basker: The fun is just the same looking at old photographs, remembering the times.
"Action figures" is just a name - are the McFarlane-things Action figures? If they are
I don't want action figures, I want playable figures.

To JEDIpartnr's first post in my thread: You can focus on "Players" OR on "Collectors". Hasbro has focused the 3 3/4 line on collectors. They've added more detail? If I look at the faces it's harder for me to recognize the character than in the LEGO-line.

To eli wankenobi: Yes, Hasbro is getting better with every line. But they do not try to make playable toys in the 3 3/4 inch line. And I still like to play.

To JEDIpartnr's second post in my thread: I think the whole line is made for you. Display them, repose them - but do not try to play with them.
You would change your mind.

Hello InsaneJediGirl: Isn't it hard to see the things as they are?

InsaneJediGirl
05-31-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by N-2PF
Hello InsaneJediGirl: Isn't it hard to see the things as they are?

Nope.Just stick on my glasses and wow..everything comes into focus..Seriously,I like the detail on the figures.Having little or no detail on the figures would majorly stink.Then all the figures would look like faceless,uncared for,pieces of plastic.

Having no detail is what Stormtroopers,Clonetroopers and soilders/guards are for,IMHO.:D

N-2PF
05-31-2002, 09:17 PM
You're right, JediGirl. Detail thrills. Just for the color around his eyes I got my 4th Vader today. 12".

jed
05-31-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Juice
A majority of collectors blame Hasbro for the rarity of certain figures, making it very difficult to find what we want.

The majority? Where did you get this stat from?

And if it is true, then it is sad that SW action figure collectors have become mere gatherers (which is what hasbro wants).

I always thought that the joy of collecting was to find rare items and add them to our collection. I enjoy my collection because it is made up of many years work finding treasures, not just been bought off the shelf in some set order designed by a toy company.

What a boring collection it would be if nothing was rarer than the next piece - or you couldn't link a cool story of how you obtained it. Next you will be wanting Habro just to mail them to your front door as they come off the assemby line.

jed

bigbarada
06-01-2002, 02:19 AM
As much as I don't like the pre-posed nature of the figures now, I can't help but remember when I was a kid, one of my favorite figures was Weequay, because he was pre-posed. And when I first started seeing the Starting Lineup line of figures, I thought it would be cool for Star Wars figures to be like that, so they would look more "exciting."

What happened? I don't know, maybe too much of a good thing? I think it is more of a problem with the poses Hasbro chooses for some of these figures looks unnatural and hinders their ability to stand on their own (before you respond with "just buy action stands" how are we supposed to stand the Geonosian Warrior with the pose he is in and no footholes in his feet?). Who knows, it might also be the fact that I am getting older and just don't enjoy the hobby like I used to. Too bad, I hate growing up.

Darth Narcis
06-01-2002, 02:32 AM
i havent opened any figures.... until tonight opened a hoth chewy that had a bad card and i have doubles of, and it felt like *****, so i have decided to keep my 300+ other figs in the package, they look so muhc better that way, for display and show, and just talking about them, they are more than just toys or action figures...

N-2PF
06-01-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Darth Narcis
i have decided to keep my 300+ other figs in the package, they look so muhc better that way, for display and show, and just talking about them, they are more than just toys or action figures...
... like coins or stamps. Very satisfying - for a collector.

I like to play. The 3 3/4"-line has no playability intended. The 12" line has. I've thrown all of the package away.

Obi-Don
06-02-2002, 06:40 AM
I'm one who opens and gets rid of the package to. Yes the playability has gone down but, to me the detail has gone up. No, I don't sit and play with the figures like I did when I was a kid. I do take them down and clean them and look at them and stuff like that. I guess I do play them in away. I do not like the one pose and never will. But to me SW means a whole lot of different things and brings back so many memories. I take the toys as they are and if I don't like it I don't buy it. I don't worry about a complete collection. My collection is mine and it will be complete when I stop collecting.