PDA

View Full Version : I think I know a tasteful way to put Padme in ROTJ

Tycho
05-31-2002, 07:40 PM
I stumbled upon 1 idea I actually like, because I'm almost solidly opposed to Padme being in the classic trilogy.

The idea is that Luke has a holgram of his mother.

"I have no memory of my mother. I never knew her."

This does not mean he doesn't have a 'photo.'

Does your family have pictures of your great-grandparents, or great-great grandparents (in case you knew your great grandparents like I did)?

OK, so Luke could have a picture of his mother, and after his father had finally died, AFTER the funeral pyre scene, Luke takes this out as he walks away from everyone at the Ewok party. BEFORE he sees the Jedi spirits, you can see "anyone (extra actor) with a black glove on their right hand" [in a shot of just the hand] holding a little holo-device like Qui-Gon had to show Watto the starship, but the holo is of Padme Amidala - mother of Luke Skywalker.

Then in his hour of deepest lonliness and loss, the Jedi Spirits appear to comfort him and Leia takes him back into the circle of his living friends.

This touches me as most sentimentally sweet.

(and yes, that would mean Padme died long before Episode 6)

Dryanta
05-31-2002, 08:15 PM
HEY TYCHO!!!
I posted a couple ideas about this topic.But that idea is THE best that I have heard so far.Be a very nice touch indeed.

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 11:59 PM
Exactly how confirmed is that rumor of Natalie Portman agreeing to shoot new scenes for ROTJ? Is it 'NSYNC in AOTC' confirmed or 'Cloned Darth Maul in Ep3' confirmed?

In other words has Lucas or McCallum or anyone who actually works for, and is authorized to speak for, Lucasfilm addressed it in any way? Until I hear it from an "official" then I will continue to treat it like a rumor and not try to find ways to justify it just yet.

However, Tycho, if true then your idea seems to be the least intrusive and most effective way to use her character. Unless they do a flashback during Ben's explanation on Dagobah. That would be cool too.

Tycho
06-01-2002, 12:10 AM
I'm just not comfortable with any flashback sequence myself. Star Wars is always focused in the here and now.

If they used the image of Padme for a holo-cube of her (picture), they wouldn't need to contract Natalie for any acting. She MIGHT be required to pay her for using her image in a film she didn't sign on for, but maybe it's in her Lucasfilm image rights agreement already (which lets Hasbro make action figures in her likeness, etc.)

No. Nothing is offical. But N'Sync did start as a rumor from the same sites that brought out this one (theForce.net for one - which I tend to find respectable and reliable).

2-1B
06-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Apparantly Nat said, "that's news to me." (from TFN the other day).

Do you really think Luke is experiencing loneliness at the end of ROTJ? I never got that feeling . . .

JediTricks
06-01-2002, 03:22 AM
I could maybe, barely, not even almost buy Leia having this holo-picture, but not Luke. However, it seems really out of character for both Luke and Leia, they're on a vital military mission, it wouldn't make sense to carry around this one little trinket with either of them.

An addition like this would cheapen which ever character was stuck with it because it'd be like saying "this character gains strength from their mother's memory/image" - a message that would change who these characters are (Leia - strong, independant, pragmatic; Luke - young, idealistic, maliable, a bit scarred and strong-standing from having to change his way of thinking several times in a relatively short period). It'd feel thin, like the Titan A.E. main character's motivation.

Even worse is the possibility that they BOTH are carrying a holo-image of Padme and the film really would nose-dive, it'd be such a contrivance - basically saying that neither twin is "complete" until they are brought together through this "key", rather than the current message that the twins are already complete individuals and their newfound relationship must be temporarily strained for the good of the galaxy.

jjreason
06-01-2002, 03:49 AM
Please God, no. What we need is vicious, killer ewoks so the Endor battle doesn't look like a grade 5 vs. old folks paintball championships. ROJ was a great movie - it didn't need the SE and it sure don't need Padme. Not that I don't like Padme... ah crap, you know what I mean.

LTBasker
06-01-2002, 12:01 PM
How about they don't use Natalie Portman and get someone older, and for the holo idea it sounds great but so to make it a little more dramatic have the holo projector be kinda damaged from age and such so it wouldn't give out a very clear picture as to what she looked like so it'd be kinda distorted and/or glitchy with "holes" in the projection.

Lman316
06-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I could maybe, barely, not even almost buy Leia having this holo-picture, but not Luke. However, it seems really out of character for both Luke and Leia, they're on a vital military mission, it wouldn't make sense to carry around this one little trinket with either of them.

An addition like this would cheapen which ever character was stuck with it because it'd be like saying "this character gains strength from their mother's memory/image" - a message that would change who these characters are (Leia - strong, independant, pragmatic; Luke - young, idealistic, maliable, a bit scarred and strong-standing from having to change his way of thinking several times in a relatively short period). It'd feel thin, like the Titan A.E. main character's motivation.

Even worse is the possibility that they BOTH are carrying a holo-image of Padme and the film really would nose-dive, it'd be such a contrivance - basically saying that neither twin is "complete" until they are brought together through this "key", rather than the current message that the twins are already complete individuals and their newfound relationship must be temporarily strained for the good of the galaxy.

Who says that either Luke or Leia have to have the hologram? What about Vader? Why couldn't he have it? Just because he fell to the Dark Side, doesn't mean he still would "like" Padme. It's still love, even though it might be evil love....er...or whatever that might mean :crazed:.

But I'm not really in support of it. Lucas will do what he wants, and I'm fine with that, and I'm sure I could live with a hologram or a picture or something, but it's not like I'm demanding it be in ROTJ. I enjoy seeing new scenes, and I can't wait to see what Lucas can add to the OT to make it better. But if he's going to put Padme in ROTJ, I hope he does it wisely.

End :happy:.

MisterPL
06-03-2002, 03:08 PM
I posted this response over at Rebelscum (http://www.rebelscum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=001039;p=2). It seems relevant here:

Portman's scenes will be shot during filming for Episode III. The twins are born and Luke needs to be taken to the Lars homestead on Tatooine. With Artoo's help (and following George's mantra of repeating themes), she records a holographic message to her son, the contents of which won't be revealed until the release of the Episode VI DVD.

Jump to the beginning of Return of the Jedi:

---------------------------
Tatooine - Ben's hovel - Interior
A mysterious, dark figure is seen putting together bits and pieces of metal on a stone table. While rummaging through a box of parts, a datadisc is discovered. ARTOO appears through an open door and the figure inserts the disc into ARTOO, who projects a holographic form of PADMÉ SKYWALKER onto the table.

PADMÉ: My son. Please forgive me. As I record this message, you are an infant child. Because your future may be in grave danger, I have entrusted your upbringing to the Lars family and your safety to Jedi Master Kenobi. I know they will do everything in their power to protect you from the evil forces manifesting themselves here in the Core Worlds. I only wish we could be together, but for your own sake as well as others', you must remain hidden.

Since you are viewing this, you must be taking your final steps to becoming a Jedi like your father. Anakin Skywalker was a good man, but his feelings betrayed him. Trust your feelings, young Luke, but never give in to hatred. Know that there is good in everything, though it may be buried deep within.

Be safe, my son, and may the Force be with you.

The image fades and the room goes dark. ARTOO whistles mournfully. Suddenly we hear the familiar ignition of a lightsabre and the room is illuminated by the greenish glow of its blade. ARTOO beeps with excitement.

It's not a flashback. It's not a bridge. But it does incorporate previously unused footage, with a twist. That's where I'd place MY bet.

Tycho
06-03-2002, 03:29 PM
I kind of like it, but the dialogue could still use some improvement. Then again, it's written like most SW dialogue is now...:rolleyes:

But it would fit in the movie and be unobtrusive - even in Shadows of the Empire continuity for all it counts or does not count for. This scene would follow Vader's arrival in ROTJ, and preceede R2's journey to Jabba's Palace obviously.

I do agree with the content of what Padme might record for her son. That was well-thought-out.

It's just the sound of Natalie's voice in the OT would well....irritate me.

Is it just me or should these 2 casts always be kept separated?
Padme and Anakin look younger than Luke and Leia. The actors are in the case of the men. With the women, Princess Leia was 22 years old in Return of the Jedi (4 years after ANH when she was 18). Padme Amidala is 24 (twenty-four) years old in AOTC. Regardless of whether Leia is 18 or 20 in ANH (I know there's still dispute over this, but it is supposed to be 4 years between II and III - think that's on the official site now), but regardless, Leia looks older than Padme, when at most she would be the same age.

In terms of the actresses: Carrie was 17 when she screentested (it's on the Magic Myth CD Rom). So she was about 18 when she fimed ANH. 20 when she filmed ESB where "Leia is 21," and Carrie was 22 or 23 when she filmed ROTJ where Leia is 22.

Now Mark was 26 I think when he played Luke at 18. Mark was then 29 when he played Luke at 21. And he was 31 when he played Luke at age 22.

Hayden is 18 when he plays Anakin at 19. Hayden will be 20 when he plays Anakin / Vader at 23.

There is no way that Hayden is going to look older than Mark did in ROTJ. Furthermore, Padme will be 28 in Episode 3. There is no way Natalie Portman (at age 20) is going to look older than Carrie Fisher (age 23, character 22) did in ROTJ, and especially Natalie's "son," Luke at age 22, played by a 31 year-old actor.

That is why I cringe at Natalie's voice being in the soundtrack to Episode 6 and even her holo-image (though they can alter her appearance and voice I imagine) being put in ROTJ, without considerable care!

I loved Hayden and Natalie. I think they did some of the finest acting in SW - especially Hayden. I just don't think they look right next to the Classic cast.

Bosskman
06-03-2002, 03:40 PM
That hologram with Luke would be cool. I think it's definately possible, especially since there seems to be no catalyst for Luke's questions about his mother before. He just comes out and asks Leia. The thing about Padme telling luke that there is still good in Vader would also fit perfectly with the story in ROTJ. My old theory about her still being alive seems like garbage compared to this one.

MisterPL
06-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I kind of like it, but the dialogue could still use some improvement. Then again, it's written like most SW dialogue is now...:rolleyes:

Yup, nice and stale, just the way George likes it. :rolleyes:

I imagined Padmé's message would be rehearsed (unlike Leia's sudden plea for General Kenobi's help) and might sound like that on screen as well. Given the weight it bears, I don't see her just blurting it out. And as you mentioned, this is Star Wars dialogue, not a Tarantino film. :D

I like the dialogue in TESB best, but that probably has as much to do with the performers' deliveries under Kershner's direction as superior lines. ANH and ROTJ (TPM particularly) have dialogue that just makes me cringe. Problem is, when I write Star Wars dialogue, I can't get it out of my head! :stupid: :crazed:

hango fett
06-04-2002, 04:28 PM
great idea, there, tycho! wish i thought of it...

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
Who says that either Luke or Leia have to have the hologram? As for Luke, read the opening post of this thread. As for Leia, I said it, duh!!! :D ;)

MrPL, if that were to occur, I think I'd be the one who'd need a memory wipe! :crazed: Like I said about the ROTJ holo-pic, I think adding Padme into Luke's life like this would drastically change the meaning behind the character's motivations - as well as give a flutter to the continuity behind what Luke said to Leia in ROTJ about having no memories of his mother.

Tycho
06-04-2002, 08:38 PM
You can have a picture of someone but not have any memories of her.

Memories and memorobilia are 2 different things.

Geeze. I got this picture of Natalie Portman, but I have no memory of the night I must have spent with her when it was taken. It must have been just so good it hurts to even think about it, right?

But because I have this picture of Natalie, I have memories of her?

OK - maybe bad example since I've seen 4.5 hours worth of movies with her.

How about sending me your picture? I must have lots of memories with you if I have your picture.

"That's right," I tell the police officer, "this person in the picture looks like the one who I thought climbed into the Wal*Mart truck and took all the exclusives out of there. I have the picture, but I have no clearer memory of that night. But it must have been this person because I found their picture and the TIE Bomber is on their want list."

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 08:50 PM
But PL was talking about an audio/visual hologram with a preprogrammed message, not just a simple picture - it's definitely different. You yourself just said that spending 4.5 hours of films with Natalie gave you a "memory" of her, for Luke, this would be 1000 times greater than that.

Tycho
06-04-2002, 09:09 PM
OK, I agree with you.

That's why I dont think it will be an audio/visual hologram of Padme that Luke has. Just a holopicture.

But I did like the scenerio that Master PL setup. It was an intelligent place in the movie to put a scene like that.

It could still work if Luke was just generalizing, since he never actually spent a real day with his mother. But I think my version works more harmlessly to the existing continuity.

MisterPL
06-04-2002, 09:22 PM
Just to clarify, my scene depicts the first time Luke EVER sees an image of his mother.

If JT is implying Luke later would be contradicting himself by telling Leia he had no "memory" of her, I'd disagree. Luke may have stumbled upon the hologram, but indeed has no memories of her from his childhood as Leia seems to.

BTW, it wasn't MY idea to toss Padmé into ROTJ. I'm just offering what I believe to be the most logical place. She sure isn't going to show up disguised as Boushh! :D

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Like I said, it'd give a "flutter" to the continuity - semantically it could be distorted into the truth, but I think it'd be missing the point of Luke's statement. Luke didn't mention anything about WHEN the memory was from, only that he had NO memory of his mother.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Or, you can leave Padmé completely out of the OT!

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Padme WAS in ROTJ: After she dropped Leia off on Alderaan, she hit the Juri Juice pretty hard. She travelled from planet to planet in a alcoholic haze for a few years, gaining quite a bit of weight. The years had not been kind to Padme, she once ran into Vader at a bordellow on one of the moons of Bogden where she was working on and they did't even recognize each other, him being more synthetic than Micheal Jackson, and her having become tremendously fat and ugly. It was while working in this "industry" that Jabba the Hutt became fascinated with her, and after carrying on a torrid love affair, the two formed a sort of "Pretty Woman" type of relationship. Padme agreed to live with Jabba as his unofficial female companion, sorta like Camilla Parker Bowles. In order to hide her identity, she was forced to adopt several aliases over the years. Among them were: Muddy May Suggins, Mona, Fat Shirly, Sissy Faye Plunkett, and YARNA D'AL GARGAN. It's ironic that her own daughter was the one who finally ended up killing her Jabba. Her and Ephant Mon were his only true friends, and had many crazy adventures together until that fateful day when Jabba went out to the great pit of Carkoon.......

Tycho
06-05-2002, 06:16 PM
Makes sense: Yarna eventually got together with Sgt. Doallyn. If she were really Padme, then it fits a pattern. The girl likes guys who carry their own atmosphere. Look at Doallyn and then look at Vader!

It's all so logical I can't believe I missed that!

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 06:24 PM
There are definate paralells there. She got the helmet fetish shortly after her "reconstruction" surgey (those of you farmiliar with Gargan's anatomy will know exactly what I'm talking about). Vader was her first "client" after the surgey and, although she didn't recognize him outright, there was definately something familiar about him. If she had't been in a state of drunkenness, then maybe she would have recognized him and the two could have been re-united, turning Vader back to the good side. Doallyn's helmet and respirator always reminded her of that night with Vader. Actually, it was only a few hours...

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Or, you can leave Padmé completely out of the OT! I already have. :D

saladin
06-06-2002, 07:51 AM
it could work or could be terrible.

scruffziller
06-11-2002, 01:17 PM
If they used a hologram I would suspect that it would have resided in R2 all this time and would reveal it at the end of ROTJ, you know R2 he is good for hiding things until the right time.

Tycho
06-11-2002, 02:00 PM
That's too contrived for me. R2D2 has no idea what has happened at the end of ROTJ.

1) He does not know that Luke and Leia are siblings
2) He does not know that Vader was on the Death Star and killed
3) He may not know that Vader was Anakin Skywalker, Luke's dad

1) He does know that he helped blow up the generator
2) He does know that the consequence was the Death Star was destroyed
3) He does know that the Rebels won a great victory
4) He does know that it was highly likely the Emperor was killed

I don't think there was time for Luke to give R2 a detailed encounter of what just happened on the Death Star.

I don't think Leia explained everything to him either.

"He's just a droid."

We know R2 is more than that, but what he knows or when he is told must be logical.

I agree, he might have some holos of Padme stored in him. But there is NO OCCASION for him to suddenly play it. He doesn't have the information listed in pts. 1 -3 above to make that determination that this is appropriate now.

I hope Lucas doesn't do something like that just because it provides that warm, fuzzy feeling and closure when it is not at all logical.

scruffziller
06-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
That's too contrived for me. R2D2 has no idea what has happened at the end of ROTJ.

1) He does not know that Luke and Leia are siblings
2) He does not know that Vader was on the Death Star and killed
3) He may not know that Vader was Anakin Skywalker, Luke's dad

1) He does know that he helped blow up the generator
2) He does know that the consequence was the Death Star was destroyed
3) He does know that the Rebels won a great victory
4) He does know that it was highly likely the Emperor was killed

I don't think there was time for Luke to give R2 a detailed encounter of what just happened on the Death Star.

I don't think Leia explained everything to him either.
R2 is more than that we know that already.

"He's just a droid."

We know R2 is more than that, but what he knows or when he is told must be logical.

I agree, he might have some holos of Padme stored in him. But there is NO OCCASION for him to suddenly play it. He doesn't have the information listed in pts. 1 -3 above to make that determination that this is appropriate now.

I hope Lucas doesn't do something like that just because it provides that warm, fuzzy feeling and closure when it is not at all logical.

I think R2 is more than that, we have seen that with him throughout the movies.

bigbarada
06-20-2002, 01:30 PM
Won't you all look foolish when GL digitally removes Mon Mothma from ROTJ and replaces her with a make-up "aged" Padme.:D:D

Okay, bad joke I know.:frus::)

Darkross
06-25-2002, 12:10 PM
Ok...this is how GL is going to add Padme in ROTJ:

When Luke is talking to Leia...he asks her about her mother:

Luke: "Leia...do you remember your mother?"

Leia: "Just bits and pieces really...she died when I was very young"

Luke: "Tell me about her..."

Leia: "She was very beautiful....(Insert Flashback images of Padme and Leia on Alderaan)...but sad"

== LATER ==

Luke: "The force runs strong my family...I have it...my father has it...my sister has it!"

Leia: (Thinking back...) "I don't know...but somehow...I've always known" (Insert Flashback to Padme giving birth)

========

If he did it this way...he wouldn't have to add or remove any dialogue between Luke or Leia or delete scenes from ROTJ.