PDA

View Full Version : Undercover Brother

stillakid
05-31-2002, 11:15 PM
Not a bad little film. Funny, well written. An entertaining hour and a half.

The send up on blaxplotation shows is obvious, and the jokes are pretty funny, but just as they start to wear thin, in walks a reason to stay in your seat. Denise Richards is not only smokin' hot as usual, but she actually acts in this flick, and acts quite well. She knows her part and plays it perfectly.

The downside is that if the tables were turned, and the "white man" made that much fun of "black" culture, the NAACP would have protest lines around the block. Besides, I don't know anybody that likes Mayonaisse that much. :rolleyes:

But Denise, ahh, she's an entirely different matter. :crazed: (Now, how to do away with Charlie Sheen :sur: )

Oh, and I almost forgot, great soundtrack. Even us white people in the audience could find the beat. ;)

bigbarada
05-31-2002, 11:27 PM
Is that the one with Chris Rock and Anthony Hopkins? Or am I thinking of another movie?

2-1B
05-31-2002, 11:49 PM
Eddie Griffin is cool. :cool:
"It ain't no thang."

stillakid, I haven't seen it yet (but I will). What studio released it? I'm sure there are plenty of white men behind the scenes. Is the comedy really that broad a spoof of black culture, or is it more precisely aimed at blaxploitation films?

edit - COOL! Dave Chappelle! Doogie Howser! Billy Dee!
I see Brian Grazer has a producing credit . . .

B, you're thinking of Bad Company. ;)

stillakid
06-01-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
Eddie Griffin is cool. :cool:
"It ain't no thang."

stillakid, I haven't seen it yet (but I will). What studio released it? I'm sure there are plenty of white men behind the scenes. Is the comedy really that broad a spoof of black culture, or is it more precisely aimed at blaxploitation films?

It has the IMAGINE credit on it and was released by Universal.

It's a good mix of both, spoofing both the blaxploitation films and black culture with a hearty dose of comedy aimed at "The Man." You'll see what I mean when you get there.;)

JediTricks
06-01-2002, 01:52 AM
It looked thin, and I haven't been able to tolerate Denise Richards since "The World is Not Enough", so I've been planning to avoid. However, this thread makes me think I *might* want to reconsider, but does it get past the "thin" parts beyond resorting to Mrs. Charlie Sheen?

Eternal Padawan
06-01-2002, 07:24 AM
The trailer makes me think it will be funny...once. It also makes me think it's one of those movies that crams all the funny parts into the trailer, and the rest of the movie is joke-free. Doogie Howser!

Anybody who goes, theres more stuff at the end of the credits. Let me just say: Undercover Brother, White She-Devil, Sister Gal....oreo...;)

stillakid
06-01-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
It looked thin, and I haven't been able to tolerate Denise Richards since "The World is Not Enough", so I've been planning to avoid. However, this thread makes me think I *might* want to reconsider, but does it get past the "thin" parts beyond resorting to Mrs. Charlie Sheen?

Don't expect an Oscar pick or anything. It does hover close to that "Saturday-Night-Live-tell-the-same-joke-for-an-hour" syndrome, but I didn't get the feeling that it actually crossed the line. It's lite and funny enough to hold my interest. And like I said, if not for Denise, I would've gotten tired of it, PLUS, I agree with you on the Bond thing, that may be why I was impressed with her performance here. Her Bond "acting" would have fit right in with Sam Jackson in TPM.

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan

Anybody who goes, theres more stuff at the end of the credits. Let me just say: Undercover Brother, White She-Devil, Sister Gal....oreo...;)

Definitely see it ONCE. That's enough. And thanks for reminding me about the credits thing. Most of the theater was emptyed out by the time the first "extra" came on. I think that there were three.

derek
06-01-2002, 02:55 PM
jeditricks,

you are not supposed to tolerate denise richards, just look at her.:)

yesterday i was listening to a howard stern clone and he was talking about denise richards. he kept saying something is wrong with her face. he thought she looked like what michael jackson would look like if he had a decent plastic surgeon. i thought he was nuts, but i got home and checked out her website, and there is definately a michael jackson vibe going on there. it's almost like michael saw her 10 years ago and said, "i wanna look like her!":)

when denise and charlie get married, howard stern may have to reconsider the "Mr. and Mrs. Stupid" title he bestowed on brad pitt and jennifer aniston.:)

2-1B
06-01-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
It has the IMAGINE credit on it and was released by Universal.

It's a good mix of both, spoofing both the blaxploitation films and black culture with a hearty dose of comedy aimed at "The Man." You'll see what I mean when you get there.;)

I now know what you mean, and I agree with you. :)
But I'll add that I was delighted that the movie spoofed black and white America in general. I expected it to be more of a "black culture" spoof but those digs at "The Man" were a nice touch. I like that the movie showed at least a little historical reference at the beginning to set up what they were making fun of and why. Dr. Laura and her ilk have nothing to stand on with this movie. :mad: (without extrapolating, I'm referring to her bashing of folks like Chris Tucker ;) ) Anyway, I think the movie had a lighthearted and good natured intent.

Yeah, Charlie Sheen's fiance is pretty hot, but I can't believe you think she "acts" in this film! :D I get the feeling that's how she acts around her freak of a future husband. :rolleyes:
Now Aunjanue Ellis (Sistah Girl), she stole the show for me. :happy:

Very nice soundtrack! Hmmmm, I'd say one showing is enough. But I'll probably rent the DVD too . . .

derek
06-02-2002, 03:01 AM
caeser,

what did dr. laura say about chris tucker?

JetsAndHeels
06-02-2002, 01:44 PM
I was going to see this movie last night, but the lady at the ticket booth said that about 20 min of their film was messed up. The heck with that. If you are going to pay $7+ for a movie you should be able to get it all. So instead I took in another viewing of AOTC.
I will go see Undercover Brother later this week at another theater. It looks really good and by what I have read here it is a pretty good flick.

LTBasker
06-02-2002, 02:52 PM
When I was getting out my E2 "openers" lay-away yesterday and the guy who was working the department said he went to see AOTC and a riot almost broke out because they mixed up and started showing Undercover Brother in the AOTC theater. :eek:

JediTricks
06-02-2002, 06:31 PM
Stilla, just one follow-up question then, what did you think of "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo"?

Derek, I understand that is why she is probably considered for most acting roles, but her performance in TWINE was so bad that I can't even look at her without cringing in the awful delivery she let plop on the screen like the cinematic equivelent of watching a bovine take a dump. ;) There are lots of beautiful women out there that can be looked at, if Denise Richards brings only that grade-f acting to the table from now on, I'll be more than happy to look elsewhere.

QLD
06-02-2002, 06:43 PM
Undercover Brother is AWESOME!

I thought the film was extremely well done.

There were a lot of little jokes throughout the movie that I caught and probably several that I missed.
The soundtrack was great, and played at the appropriate times.

Eddie Griffen was great.
Chris Kattan was in it just enough to not be annoying. And his character was better than any of his SNL ones.

Aunjanue Ellis as Sistah Girl was great too. And Hot!

Denise Richards, well, it's the best performance of her career. I don't really think she's THAT hot, and she is one of the worst actresses available. However, she managed to not suck as much as usual, and since the rest of the film was so great, I managed to not be annoyed by her.

Billy Dee has certainly seen better days, but he was pretty good as the Colin Powell type person. But, I mean, IT'S BILLY DEE FOR CHRISSAKES!

Dave Chappelle as Conspiracy Brother was great. It was typical Dave Chappelle, but he was perfect for that part.

The "angry black chief" was great too, an homage to Starsky and Hutch, and sooooo many other movies and tv shows. He even had a picture of the chief from S & H on his wall behind him, along with Tubs from Miami Vice, and Danny Glover which resulted in a great scene too.

The commercial for the Colonel's Chicken was so ridiculous it was incredible. The fight scenes were reminiscient of Dolemite and The Human Tornado, as well as other movies.

And Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) was pretty darn funny too as the white intern who works at the B.R.O.T.H.E.R.H.O.O.D.
And the scene where he freaks out at the end was so unexpected and over the top, I practically laughed my intestines out.

Bottom line, this is one of the best comedies I have seen in a while, and much better than the Austin Powers films. It was clever, and silly. I can't wait to go see it again, and buy it on DVD.

2-1B
06-02-2002, 09:00 PM
derek, that old hag was complaining about how guys like him do a disservice to black America in the movies they make . . . funny, I thought she would advocate that people should be judged as individuals but I guess she felt the need to buy into stereotypes.
It's unfair of her to place such a burden on a comedian, it's not his place to represent an entire race. I don't run around saying that she discredits old Jewish women, it would be pretty ignorant of me to do so. But I'm wayyyyyy off track, sorry! :D

JT, since you brought up Deucey I'll go on record as saying that movie is easily in my top ten comedies of the past decade, if not longer. Sure it's goofy but the movie has some heart as well. ;)

QLD, I like your review a lot. :) Dave Chappelle was very funny, I agree. He really makes me laugh in stand up, it's cool to see him doing the same in a movie.

And how about James Brown's appearance ? :D

stillakid
06-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Stilla, just one follow-up question then, what did you think of "Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo"?

I didn't see it. I've got an uncanny superpower that enables me to sense really bad movies and avoid them. The times when I've ignored my spidey-sense and dropped $8 bucks anyway were inevitably disappointing. Austin Powers, Ace Ventura, Something About Mary -- all were everything that I expected them to be despite the "popular opinion." In other words, terrible. Some funny jokes now and again, but generally just very poorly made comedies.

Undercover Brother knows what kind of movie it is, doesn't try to be anything else, and succeeds because of it. It isn't a perfect film, by any stretch, but even Denise found her niche and played it to a T.

Besides, how could you not have liked her in Wild Things?:)

derek
06-04-2002, 12:29 AM
stilla,

wait a minute! was your spidey sence working when you saw roller-ball?:crazed:

i would of liked her better if the camera operator would pulled back on a few "certain" shots!:crazed:

stillakid
06-04-2002, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by derek
stilla,

wait a minute! was your spidey sence working when you saw roller-ball?:crazed:

i would of liked her better if the camera operator would pulled back on a few "certain" shots!:crazed:

Yeah, it was. I got exactly what I expected, plot, um, holes and all. And loved it for what it was. Sometimes I'm willing to let some stuff go in order to enjoy the bigger picture, like I did with Independence Day (way to go Macintosh!). More often, though, I'm not, particularly with "dumb" comedies that go for weak slapstick or toilet humor.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2002, 02:21 PM
How does this movie compare to I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Hollywood Shuffle?

stillakid
06-04-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
How does this movie compare to I'm Gonna Git You Sucka and Hollywood Shuffle?

I didn't see the first, and it's been a long time since I've seen HS, but this one is much more goofball humor than HS was, except for the "movie making" bits.

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 07:13 PM
Aw man, see I think for films like this, reviewers' reviews can be partially judged on how they reviewed Deuce. As Caesar points out, it's a surprisingly funny film that has "heart". Stilla, I think your "superpower" may have led you astray with Deuce. :crazed:

However, I'll probably end up dropping $6 on a matinee for this film in the next few weeks due to all the positive reviews here. I don't expect it to be as good as Hollywood Shuffle or as dead-on funny as I'm Gonna Get You Sucka, but as long as it's not Pootie Tang... - even the trailers couldn't make THAT look funny!

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2002, 07:51 PM
I went in and watched it during work today and was inadvertantly laughing all the way through it. Not one I'd buy, but worth the 90 minutes I spent watching it.

2-1B
06-05-2002, 04:27 AM
Today I heard part of that new Mary J. Blige song and couldn't help but think of Kattan doing his little dance. :D

JT, so you really like Deuce, huh? Whew, I thought I was drawing a line in the sand because I know of alot of people who didn't like it. In fact, I was so surprised by how much I liked it in theaters (and subsequent DVD viewings) that I cautiously brought a few expectations to The Animal . . . and didn't like it nearly as much. I guess I'm curious not only if everyone here liked Deuce, but in addition what his or her thoughts on Animal were . . . that might provide a more precise guideline. :)

QLD
06-05-2002, 01:47 PM
I never saw Deuce, though I wouldn't mind watching it one day.

I did not like The Animal. It just wasn't funny.

I LOVE I'm Gonna Git' You Sucka! Classic movie, but IMO Undercover Brother is MUCH better. It's more clever, and is just all around more funny.

I never saw Hollywood Shuffle, but I think I need to.

Never saw Pootie Tang, I love Chris Rock's standup, but his movies leave a lot to be desired.

I love Something About Mary. It has a lot of toilet humor in it, but it is also very clever and funny.

Now Scary Movie 1 and 2, now that is nothing BUT toilet humor. So much so IMO, that it wasn't funny, just gross.

But I will buy Undercover Brother, I think it is one of the best "silly" comedies that I have ever seen. Right up there with History of the World, Airplane, Naked Gun, Spaceballs, Blazing Saddles, and There's Something About Mary.

stillakid
06-06-2002, 12:28 AM
Aw man, see I think for films like this, reviewers' reviews can be partially judged on how they reviewed Deuce. As Caesar points out, it's a surprisingly funny film that has "heart". Stilla, I think your "superpower" may have led you astray with Deuce. :crazed:

However, I'll probably end up dropping $6 on a matinee for this film in the next few weeks due to all the positive reviews here. I don't expect it to be as good as Hollywood Shuffle or as dead-on funny as I'm Gonna Get You Sucka, but as long as it's not Pootie Tang... - even the trailers couldn't make THAT look funny!

Only because I've grown to respect your opinion so much, I'll bite the bullet and rent Deuce. I've grown wary of SNL crossover stars. Katan was the weakest part of Undercover Bro. I sat through the entirety of Billy Madison, only because of my lustful dreams of Bridgette Wilson. Grrrwllllll. Damn, I hate Pete Sampras.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 01:23 AM
Caesar, I came out of the theater from "Deuce" with a big smile on my face, mostly because I went in expecting absolutely nothing from it (that's not completely true, I expected to sorta dislike it). It was just the right type of movie at the right time, hit a few good notes and had a decent story, and the Matrix parody was the first one I had seen at that time - that part got SUCH a big reaction (didn't Scary Movie pull the same stunt a while after Deuce came out?).

Even though I really liked Deuce, I passed on The Animal because the premise really didn't even grab me, Deuce's at least had a funny premise - which is what got me in the door.

QLD, I find it REALLY hard to believe Undercover Brother is going to be funnier than I'm Gonna Get You Sucka to me. That statement feels like the blaxploitation-spoof equivelant of a million different films claiming to be "this generations Star Wars". But I'll give it a shot. :D

Stilla and QLD, don't expect too much from Deuce, but DEFINITELY see it. I haven't bought many films released after TPM, but Deuce was one of 'em.

SNL star film crossovers usually leave so much to be desired (I was dragged to see Dana Carvey in Opportunity Knocks AND Clean Slate, I'm still in shellshock), but it feels 10 times worse with this latest batch of SNL players - Chris Katan, Will Ferrell, Molly Shannon, Tracy Morgan, and Cheri Oteri all make me want to wretch whenever they appear on the big screen. They're like nails on a chalkboard, they're not funny to me on the show and the big screen seems to amplify that ten-fold. Only Will Ferrell seems to have the capacity to salvage his screentime, but usually he seems to crawl right back into the crapper by the end of his schtick.

2-1B
06-06-2002, 01:30 AM
Whoa, I'll admit that Clean Slate left ALOT to be desired, but I love Opportunity Knocks! I wish a DVD would be released, it's another of my favorites. :D JT, have you seen the trailer for Carvey's new movie, Master of Disguise? I'm not expecting much from it, the turtle clip and the Scarface bit looked hysterical but the movie as a whole does not have me excited. But I will see it in the theater. :happy:

Yes, yes, heed JT's advice and don't expect much from Deuce - maybe you'll find some parts you enjoy! (and remember, if you don't like it, JT recommended it, not me :rolleyes: )

:)

QLD
06-06-2002, 11:43 AM
JT, I thought the same thing going in. But there are many more laughs in UB than I'm gonna git you sucka. Honestly.

Both great films though.

scruffziller
06-06-2002, 03:01 PM
I plan to see it, it looks like my kind of flick.

saladin
06-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Ya can't wait to go see it, i havn't had a chance.

QLD
06-07-2002, 10:51 PM
SOLID!

2-1B
08-22-2005, 01:23 AM
I love Opportunity Knocks! I wish a DVD would be released, it's another of my favorites. :D

And they finally DID release it on DVD ! Walking through Best Buy a few months ago, I just happened to spot it in the O Comedy section, it almost jumped off the shelf at me. $9.99, what a steal ! Love that movie, even today.

UKWildcat
09-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey Caesar, I like how you've been diggin' up old threads and all, but I'm beginning to worry when you start quoting yourself. lol

$9.99 is a good price though...

Keep digging... :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-09-2005, 02:15 PM
I caught part of this on TV a few weeks ago, and it was a LOT funnier than I'd expected. For $10, I'll have to pick it up myself.

2-1B
09-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Which movie Chux - Undercover Brother or Opportunity Knocks ? lol I'm confused. :D

Wildcat, you mistakenly assume that I have only one personality in my head . . . believe me, quoting "myself" is quite natural. ;)