PDA

View Full Version : Scalping Not By Money But By Trading

Sidiously Darth
06-01-2002, 05:25 PM
There's something that's been nagging me after cruising through the Buying/Selling/Trading Forums. There's been much discussion on scalping when associated with money, but what about with trading?

I've seen several requests for trades for a Sagul or Bloody Luke. Most figure trading I've done has been 1:1. Not so with those figures. People what 2-4+ figures for a $10 Sagul or $6 Bloody Luke. I can see maybe 2:1 but past that, it comes across as scalper trading. I'm sorry I don't think a Sagul would be worth 2 or 3 carded vintage or 4 of the newest figures out.

Just curious about other's opinions.:)

Dryanta
06-01-2002, 05:29 PM
I have thought about this issue alot myself.It is the same thing in my opinion.
It would be much better to trade 1:1.Fire away.I think you may have opened a can of worms.

TK421BB
06-01-2002, 08:29 PM
I agree...It seems some collectors complain about scalpers selling figures for some ungodly amount, but don't have problem when asking for a lot in trade. I guess some people have a double standard when it comes to trading. It looks like they don't see a problem with it since they aren't asking for money. So guess what, all of you who do this are no better than the scalpers you complain about.
A lot of this has to do with figures that are hot like the Sacul and bloody luke. If you do ask for a lot in trade fine, but don't complain about how people are Raping the pegs at walmart to make a profit. I remember the Theater Luke's when they came out, everybody wanted at least $100.00 for 1 and now look at them. It was like crack, "I just gotta have it."

Darth Narcis
06-01-2002, 09:08 PM
Scalpers(looters) sell for high prices, and have damaged figures. Trading can be the same thing almost, if you ask for 4 figures in exchange for 1, itd be like paying 25 dollars for the fig.

JON9000
06-01-2002, 09:44 PM
I see everyone's point here, but in the alternative, if the value of a particular figure due to its rarity is 25 bucks and you are willing to trade him, why is it so bad to ask for the equivalent in figures? I mean, if I had four extra Choco Obi Wans I would probably dump them for a bloody hand Luke. Nobody's forcing me. Heck, I'd probably give up my whole collection for a set of nicely carded 12-backs. If anyone is to blame, it is Hasbro for short packing.

sith_killer_99
06-02-2002, 12:49 AM
It's a tough call. There have been times when I was willing to trade 2 figures for 1.

I can also see trading a TF 2002 Vader for a Jorg Sacul, or "Bloody" Luke. Personally I think the cost on the Bloody Luke will come WAY down.

Yet it would seem a bit unfair to trade say, the new Qui-Gon for a TF Vader.

I agree some requests are a bit rediculous. Multiple Vintage carded figures for new stuff. :rolleyes:

For the most part I trade 1 for 1 MOMC. Or 2 (loose) for 1 (MOMC), and vice versa.

For the VHTF stuff I really suggest a few options to trades:

1. WAIT for a good deal on what you need. (ie. e-bay Motti for $7.00)

2. Bite the bullet and spend $20-$30 for the fig you need.

It always amazes me to see lists of common figures (or FORMER HTF figs) a mile long, that some guy has for trade bait. Then his want list is ONLY those HTF EP1 figs (Sio and the gang) or those htf FF figures.

Think of this:

15 figs @ $6.00 ea. = $90.00= 4-5 HTF figures @ $15-$30 ea.

So for the same money he just spent on 15 figures collecting dust, he could have completed his EP1 collection!

Think about it. If you want to trade for current new release figures, or common figures that you still need, then trading works great. Other than that, I suggest buying or hunting for deals.

For example, I managed to find a complete set of FF figures "For Sale" here on SSG! All US except Weequay (Canadian). I paid $400.00 plus a few trades thrown in for a small discount. All figures were in great shape (ALL COLL. 3 were C-9 or better). All in all I paid around $8.XX per figure. That includes:

Sandtrooper
Boba Fett
Garindan
TIE Pilot
AT-ST Driver
Ree-Yees
Death Star Trooper

I waited on the FF's and found this deal on SSG.

Deals can be had, you just need to be patient. BTW, THANX TONY (Quigon22).

CooLJoE
06-02-2002, 01:22 AM
I agree with most of you. When someone has a bloody luke or sacul figure and only wants another VHTF figure or multiple other figures, its scalping to me.

The point of being a good trader on here is not to trade one HTF for another HTF. Maybe what you have is HTF for them and they have what is HTF for you, and thats acceptable. But IMO, its not when your only requesting 12-back figures or something like a TF Vader.

I don't know. Its hard to get into the technicalities of it. The point of trading (to me anyways) is to help someone else get a figure that they just can't find. Like people wanting the figures with the background insert since they can't find them in their town. Or when someone needs an HD Anakin and the other person's stores have them falling off the pegs. Its just a way to help collectors complete their collection.

Just hard to explain.

RAVAZ
06-02-2002, 01:43 AM
Its simple economics. Supply and demand. Some play fair, and some don't. You simply learn who to play with.

LTBasker
06-02-2002, 01:55 AM
Depends on the traders quite a bit, like if they got the extra figs for free or are just desperate to get rid of them while making a good use out of them at the same time. Some might feel cheated to have to trade more than 1 or 2 figures for something like that, but then there are others who might have the figures to spare so it's not always the same issue as scalping. I can see Jorg Sacul being traded for 2 figures, and TF Vader too, since their prices were higher when the people bought them and it was almost fully double the price.

Obi-Don
06-02-2002, 05:53 AM
To me, you just have to know what you got and what you don't want. If two people agree on a trade,then it is thier deal. I don't believe in tring to take someone in a trade just because that person isn't aware of whats going on. The only thing you can do is,do what makes you feel good. If tradeing two for one or what ever gets you what you want and you are ok with that,then do it. If not then go looking on line or at stores and find what you want.

Turbowars
06-02-2002, 11:56 AM
If you don't like the trade, DON'T Trade! It's as easy as not buying from a scalper.

Sidiously Darth
06-02-2002, 12:59 PM
I really like what I'm seeing here. Just about all the replys have been very constructive. I've had a lot more experience in trading other collectible items such as Scouting Memorabilia(I no longer do, for anyone curious) and it really does boil down to 'if you're happy with the trade, it was a good trade' philosophy. I understand it takes a little more to get the HTF item, but it's silly to stick it to another collector b/c you can.

vulcantouch
06-02-2002, 12:59 PM
in my definition & analysis of scalping (http://209.197.112.151/thread.html?dom=ss&TID=20&PID=1590) i've already covered trading. the revelant passage: "in parting with an item, a collector's ethical recourse is to either sell it for what he paid (or less) or attempt to gain via trade. the latter option is acceptable because it allows for the fact that certain items do become more scarce or sought-after over time than others. also, "gain" becomes a relative term in this context, defined by each trader, as opposed to the universal monetary amounts dictated by scalpers. finally, no two trade agreements are the same, having been arrived at via the contribution of ideas from both parties. in other words, a true collaboration".
btw, as a publicity***** i'd be remiss if i didn't mention my current Trade offer (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8625) here (credential link included therein) :)
meanwhile, more fun chitchat about this whole issue (http://sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=58902#post58902), in case interested :) a couple of relevant passages: "everybody exploits everybody, and overall that's how it should be; but some exploitation is equitable and collaborative and some is parasitic and one-sided" and "the assignment of universal monetary numbers to our supercool toys is something only manufacturers and srp retailers have any business doing. anyone else considering doing same should go out & get a Real job" :D
vt

Exhaust Port
06-02-2002, 02:23 PM
As with any collectible, each item is only worth what you're willing to pay for it. Fancy art in a museum is worth the canvas it's painted on to me but not to an art collector. Same goes for figures. If to you that Count Dooku is worth 2 of your clonetroopers then it's a fair trade. To someone else (perhaps someone who didn't have as much trouble finding the Dooku figure) it's only worth the $6 they paid for it. If you're willing to comprimise on what you think something is worth and pay more to a scalper or trade more figures to get what you want then that is something you have to live with, no me. There are plenty of outlets in this day and age for a collector to find what he wants. Between the many stores that carry the SW line to online stores and auction sites someone can shop around and usually find what they want at the price they're willing to pay.

The one issue that I can never figure out is why people are willing to cave to the perceived demand at such an early stage. A lot of these figures are still making their way to the shelves as we speak. Other might be harder to find but how long are you planning on collecting SW? Wait 6 months or a year and let the market stabilize for these figures. If you're not willing to wait then you might consider paying 2x or 3x the initial cost of a figure a fair price now. Again you'll have to live with that not me. If it makes you happy, more power to you.

As for scalpers, it's been said here before and I'll say it again: If you don't buy from them then they can't survive. It's the same reason you might have a drug dealer in your neighborhood, people are willing to buy his products. The only comic store in my town use to sell "scalped" SW items. I never bought anything from them. Why should I when I could buy the samething (from the same store they bought it from originally) at a fraction of the cost. Apparently no one else cared to by from them and they just went out of business. You see, it does work. Score one for the collectors!! :)

Forhekset
06-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Exploiting someone in a trade isn't quite as bad as pure scalping to me, because the person doesn't HAVE to trade with you. It's different if a group of scalpers is cleaning out every store in your area and making it really difficult on you to find what you want. However, I still find the practice of "trade scalping" distasteful, even if it's not as bad as "regular scalping". It gets sticky when you're talking about exclusive figs like Jorg Sacul or the TF Vader, but I think you should just do what you feel is right, because that's what matters in the end. Whether or not you can think about what you just did and feel good about it.

I've traded several bloody Lukes 1:1 on this forum, and I'm sure some people on here probably think I'm an idiot for not selling them on eBay for $30 apiece or trying to get 2, 3, or 4 figures for each one. I don't even try to trade for other variants or HTF figures, I just try to fill holes in my collection and trade for whatever I happen to want. The thing is, I only paid $6 for the bloody Luke, and the person I'm trading with probably only paid $6 or whatever for his figure, so to me that's a fair, honest trade. I can't justify asking someone for $24 worth of figures just for one somewhat rare figure that IS out there in retail (even if slightly hard to find). But I'm not going to try to tell anyone else what to do. If you want to be a jack@$$ scalper and rip off another collector, that's your problem. I'll do what I know is the right thing to do.

cptpinkerton
06-02-2002, 05:50 PM
The scalping vs. trading vs. buying outside of the realm of retail is a giant gray area, as others have indicated. Applying specifics to the situations, if I am persuing a very specific figure, or group of figures, I would make an extra effort to look for figures that had a command on the second hand market or were rare to some extent, because through those outlets it will allow me to complete what I need to complete. For instance, while their markets are certainly different, a Dexter Jettster w/pipe and insert is a figure that sells on ebay routinely around $30. Bloody Bespin Luke ranges from $30-$50 at the high end on ebay, I would definitely consider a 1/1 trade for a Dexter with a Bespin Bloody Luke.
Similarly, I would buy a whole rack of Bloody Bespin Luke's at a store if I was confident there were enough people who wanted them that I could move the figures to complete more of my collection. By move the figures, I do mean through trade or re-sale. Trading should be mutually beneficial in both circumstances, I wouldn't ever take someone for a ride, nor would I try and offer them an unfair trade, I think that a 1/1 Bespin Luke for Sacul, or for Toy Fair Vader may be a bit of a stretch, especially when the vile market of ebay (which is the only true price guide that exists) prices toyfair vader at 3-5x as valuable as Bespin Luke.
But, if someone wants to trade me a toyfair vader for bespin bloody luke, than that is fine - I'd take it, I wouldnt offer a bloody luke for a toyfair vader, unless I knew a trader very well, I wouldn't want to come across as lowballing them.
Another example: I have an extra count dooku, I gave my 2nd one to my sister, and picked up a third one to replenish the second one, I'd never put it on ebay, but if someone needed an extra dooku and had something I wanted, than I'd be allowing myself an option to add a piece to my collection. I'm sure many of the people here do this sort of thing, pick up an extra figure or two for trade bait.
Another hypothetical situation, I have a blue visor Jango Fett, do I want to sell it on ebay? Not particularly, but the money I would make from the sale on ebay, would allow me to purchase two Jorg Sacul figures, one for myself, and one for my friend who accompanied me on the run that resulted in the Jango Fett. From this perspective, a one to one trade with the Jango for Sacul doesn't make sense to me, because I could sell it and get basically a free Sacul, (adding in the extra one from the trade).
The whole issue of scalping is a sticky one, but I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another one where it was referenced as a symbiotic circle of survival. In alot of ways, like it or not, collector's do need the scalpers, (I realize some of them are more fair than others), and the scalpers need the collector's because we are their only market.
Geez, I'm out of breath.
LMS

aikman
06-02-2002, 06:49 PM
Trading term is part of the scalping issue.

How many people here have bought extras of the rare figures just so they can TRADE them to other people for figs they cant get? Usually several figs for the rarer one.

Scalpers buy extras of the rare figs so they can TRADE them for money. Usually more than the retail price of the fig.

Looks pretty similiar to me.

The moral is, if you complain about scalping, dont take part in it.
Buy for yourself, not stocking up on the 'hard to finds' with the excuse that they are for trade. What if noone wanted to trade for those 10 dookus you have? They would probably end up on ebay, like the scalpers do...

Forhekset
06-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by aikman
Trading term is part of the scalping issue.

How many people here have bought extras of the rare figures just so they can TRADE them to other people for figs they cant get? Usually several figs for the rarer one.

Scalpers buy extras of the rare figs so they can TRADE them for money. Usually more than the retail price of the fig.

Looks pretty similiar to me.

The moral is, if you complain about scalping, dont take part in it.
Buy for yourself, not stocking up on the 'hard to finds' with the excuse that they are for trade. What if noone wanted to trade for those 10 dookus you have? They would probably end up on ebay, like the scalpers do...

I've thought about the point you bring up before. If I see 4 of a HTF figure on the pegs, do I take 1 for myself and leave the rest? Do I take 2, one to open and one to leave carded, and leave the other 2? Actually what I would probably do is buy all 4. I usually buy at least a couple extras of HTF figs to trade, and obviously you and other people on this forum consider that scalping. But here's why I do it : because I know I can come here and put them into the hands of other collectors. That's why I even offer to sell things at cost if no one can trade for them, because at least this way I know they're going to collectors and not being grabbed up by people who will go stick them on eBay. So to me it's the lesser of two evils. Not to mention if I don't trade them or sell them at cost, I take them back to the store - I don't turn to eBay just to "unload" them.

Exhaust Port
06-02-2002, 08:55 PM
Most people only feel that's scalping if THEY are the ones getting screwed. Yes there are extreme cases and seen by the stories that posters are sharing here. For the most part I think it's not done with the intent of screwing over another collector. If I would like 2 or 3 of a particular figure then I'll buy them. I rarely know if what I'm buying is "rare" or not. My reason for purchasing several figures is for my own collection. Some people collect both loose and MOC so they buy several. There is nothing wrong with any of that.

I would be rather upset to watch someone destroy a figure just so another person can't have his MOMC but that is a moral issue. I don't think its possible to alter the moral fiber of a person. Ignore them and they'll go away. That is all that can be done.

Just incase someone decides to flame me, I've only bought duplicate figures onces in my collecting years. I have 3 12" Tie Fighter Pilots which is my absolute fav. Imperial character. If someone's collection isn't complete due to my purchase, I'm sorry.

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 01:56 AM
What are the terms when you start trading new figures for vintage figures? Sure some of them would be fair as "figure for figure" trades; but is trading a vintage Blue Snaggletooth for a Bloody Luke really a fair deal? Even though it is figure for figure, I think not; but then of course that all depends on the condition of the vintage figure and how much the guy wants the bloody Luke.

I guess the simple rule that if both parties are happy with the trade then it is a good trade.

If some guy wants a Jorg Sacul figure so bad that he's willing to part with a Double-Telescoping, 12-back, MOC Luke Skywalker then fine. Except that the DT, 12-back Luke is known to be a rare figure and known to be worth several hundred dollars. In fact I think in 6 more years that Luke will officially become an antique toy (the figure is 24 years old and I think antiqueness is granted at 30 years by whoever decides this kind of stuff and it is then considered a rare antique and eligible to be taxed by the IRS for a percentage of it's value every year. I think it can also be used by a bank for loans. Don't quote me on all of this, it's just some info that a comic store owner told me when he was explaining why he wanted to sell his store.). The future value of Jorg Sacul is more doubtful.

Again, it is all up to the people involved in the trade.

icatch9
06-03-2002, 08:59 AM
Value, that is what it comes down to. Sure each one of these figures costs very little in the store, but it is what they are worth that is important. Vintage figures cost as little as $1.00 in the store back in 85', you wouldn't trade 5 of those MOC for a $6.00 Shak Ti now would you. Sure the Jorg cost $10, but it is worth way more than that. The avalablity and the popularity of the figure is why it's so valuable. It's not going to come down in price and it's never going to be offered again. My advice is, if you can get it for 4 or 5 current figures in a trade do it. That's the deal of the day. It's not like your ever going to walk into WM and find a Sacul on the shelf.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 10:39 AM
Just because a figure is short packed now doesn't mean that it's going to become a classic like the DT 12 Back Luke. The value of a figure is so volitile in the first year that I would never bank on it. Look at the going rate for Ep. I figures now vs. what people were asking for them in the first 3 months of release. Scalpers make their money on this initial panic of collectors to complete their collection. Yes, there are exceptions to this but I'm more inclined to wait it out a couple of months before I'll start paying marked up prices. Might I have to pay more? Sometimes. Might I pay the same or lower than now? Most likely. There are 2 figures (from a different line) that I've been waiting for the price to drop on. It's been 3 years since their initial release and the price is slowly dropping. I'm into collecting for the long haul. If it takes me 10 years to complete my collection I'll still be happy.

icatch9, I totally agree with you. There is a definate value placed on each figure. A MOC '85 figure is guaranteed to be worth more than a MOC '02. I just find it hard to justify people trading 5 MOC '02 figures for 1 '02 MOC figure. A lot of a figures value depends on its popularity as you stated as well as how many are produced. I'm sure those inital Darth Mauls would still be worth a ton if they didn't go and produce a truck load of variants. Here we are 2 months into the AOTC's toy release and people are making statements of valuable figures.

If someone gets 3 figures for one of these "Instant Classics" then that person is taking advantage of a perceived value. Some of these figures are still appearing on the shelves. Would a '57 Chevy still be a classic if you still go to the dealership and pick one up?

DahrJin
06-03-2002, 10:53 AM
I too have noticed this happening on many different collecting sites. Does it go unseen, or is it just over looked due to the fact, that what was brought up before, that if you as a collector are happy with the trade, then all is good. You don't have to trade 2-6 figures for a bloody Luke or a Jorg Sacul, unless you fell it's something you want to do.

In my opinion, it's close to the same as scalping. If you buy a figure you know is hard to find, with the single purpose of trading it for as many figures as you can get out ot it, then it's not right. If you buy it to trade 1 or 2 figures for it so another collector can have a chance to get it as well, then it's helping the hobby and not hurting it.

I myself never trade more than one for one. Why should I try and get as many figures as I can out of a single figure just because it's tough to find? i'd rather get the satisfaction of knowing that I may have helped a fellow collector fill a hole in his collection, and stopped someone from stressing over the thought of never having something they want. We've all been there and it's no fun.

TF Vader, I wanted one, but they were exclusive to TF 2002. Then the FC released some, and thanks to a fellow collector, I now have one, and I didn't have to take a second mortgage on my house to get one. Because at the time, this guy could have got anything he asked for it, but all he wanted was COST plus SHIPPING.

Same goes for the bloody Luke. I traded ONE for ONE, with a collector on these forms. You know who you are, and you ROCK.

It's collectors like these guys that make me see that there's still hope for this hobby yet.

I know I may never own a Jorg Sacul, I want it, but at what some people and traders are asking for it, it's just not worth it.

Now please note that this is my opinion, and it's not intended to get everyone in a huff.

DJ

aikman
06-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Well thats nice that you would 'give back' to the collecting community but what if someone wasnt part of your 'clique', then what?
For your collecting buddies you are great, but for people not in your cirlce , you are just another scalper.
Does that make sense?

RE:
Actually what I would probably do is buy all 4. I usually buy at least a couple extras of HTF figs to trade, and obviously you and other people on this forum consider that scalping. But here's why I do it : because I know I can come here and put them into the hands of other collectors. That's why I even offer to sell things at cost if no one can trade for them, because at least this way I know they're going to collectors and not being grabbed up by people who will go stick them on eBay. So to me it's the lesser of two evils. Not to mention if I don't trade them or sell them at cost, I take them back to the store - I don't turn to eBay just to "unload" them.

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by aikman
Well thats nice that you would 'give back' to the collecting community but what if someone wasnt part of your 'clique', then what?
For your collecting buddies you are great, but for people not in your cirlce , you are just another scalper.
Does that make sense?

RE:
Actually what I would probably do is buy all 4. I usually buy at least a couple extras of HTF figs to trade, and obviously you and other people on this forum consider that scalping. But here's why I do it : because I know I can come here and put them into the hands of other collectors. That's why I even offer to sell things at cost if no one can trade for them, because at least this way I know they're going to collectors and not being grabbed up by people who will go stick them on eBay. So to me it's the lesser of two evils. Not to mention if I don't trade them or sell them at cost, I take them back to the store - I don't turn to eBay just to "unload" them.

Like I said, it's the lesser of two evils - I may be, in truth, keeping figs out of the hands of other collectors in my area. I don't know that for sure. What I do know for sure is two things:

1. I kept the figures out of the hands of scalpers
2. I put the figures into the hands of other collectors (most importantly)

There's a trade-off there, for sure. But I think the ends justify the means. Just my opinion.

keith koth
06-03-2002, 05:59 PM
Greetings!!!

First things first…I am not a scalper…as a matter of fact, I will go as far as to say that I hate scalpers with every breath of my being.

It seems incredibly unfair that someone, using underhanded tactics (such as befriending their local stock boy just to have first crack at the figures) is able to snake the newest figures right out from under our noses.

However, it is our responsibility as collectors to just OUTRIGHT REFUSE to pay scalper prices. If we don’t buy, then they can’t sell…and, thus, they loose money and are less likely to continue the practice of scalping.

In theory, this is fine…but, everyone seems to be forgetting about the law of SUPPLY AND DEMAND. The bloody hand Luke (among others) IS a relatively RARE variant, which causes the demand to outweigh the supply. Therefore, it makes perfect sense that the price on these figures would be higher regardless of who possesses them at the time of auction and/or trade.

If you just hang tight, you will be rewarded a NEW Luke Bespin figure, albeit the non-bloody version. Eventually these figures will be all over the country hanging on the pegs and collecting dust.

However, if most of you are complaining because you want a “rare” figure at cost, or want to trade at a 1:1 ratio, FORGET IT…you had better be willing to fork over what is considered the “fair market value” for the “rare” item you desire.

This is only fair, and perfectly reflects the way in which the global economic system operates. Nobody ever gets something for nothing, and I certainly know that no one will ever accept nothing in return for something (although, if I am wrong, I will be glad to accept a Jorg Sacul…at no cost of course).

For you younger people, economics may be a bit difficult to grasp; however, for the adults out there, shame on you for expecting the laws of economics to apply to everyone but you.

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 07:30 PM
The laws of supply and demand are at the heart of this. If demand outweighs supply then prices will go up. It is inevitable.

However, someone buying up all the "rare" figures on the racks in order to furthur the illusion of rarity and artificially inflate demand is wrong and unscrupulous. Although, it is also inevitable. Whenever there is a quick buck to be made someone will always be there to take advantage of it.

I think it would help to define what scalping is NOT, before these discussions degenerate to simple shouting-fests.

Scalping is NOT:

-a retailer ordering figures directly from Hasbro and charging higher than the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) for them. Kay-Bee has to charge more for figures since they are usually set up in shopping malls, which always have high overheads. Thus Kay-Bee pays more in rent just to have a space to do business and must get that money back from the consumers in order to stay in business. Small retail or online stores, like Brian's Toys, who order directly from Hasbro cannot order the amounts of figures that a multi-national conglomerate like Wal-Mart can. Action figures are sold to retailers in bulk, thus the more you order, the cheaper each figure is. Since Brian's Toys can only order 20-30 cases of toys, they must pay more and thus must charge more in order to make a profit. It seems that many people would like to see all these businesses run into the ground so they can save a few bucks on action figures. Many of you kids on these boards who are still in school and don't understand the realities of business will see what I am talking about when you try to start your own business.

-buying multiples of a figure for your own personal collection. For instance army-builders, variation hunters or "one loose/one carded" collectors.

-buying multiples of a figure to offer as 1 for 1 trades with friends or collectors clubs.

-forming relationships with stock-boys to get first grab at new figures for the purposes of avoiding scalpers and completing your own personal collection.

Overall, it seems that if someone can't find the figure they are looking for right away then they automatically cry "foul" and start blaming scalpers for all their woes. Our sociey seems to be formed on instant gratification, in other words you should be able to get whatever you want the moment you want it. If not then someone is infringing upon your rights. Ridiculous.

Exhaust Port
06-04-2002, 09:00 AM
bigbarada you should make a pamphlet with all of your above "what a scalper isn't" points and hand it out to all the collectors. Great discriptions.

Forhekset
06-04-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by keith koth
However, if most of you are complaining because you want a “rare” figure at cost, or want to trade at a 1:1 ratio, FORGET IT…you had better be willing to fork over what is considered the “fair market value” for the “rare” item you desire.

I traded away a few bloody Lukes 1:1 on this forum, actually. Maybe I'm crazy? :crazed:

sith_killer_99
06-04-2002, 12:18 PM
Then again, there is always the "Collect to Collect" code.;)

DarthMaulSithLord
06-04-2002, 02:11 PM
I think a 1:1 figure trade is fair, but only in the correct condition. I.e. if the price for both figures is the same.

For instance: a new Saga fig may cost only $6 in the US, but in another country, such as Australia, the same figures could be going for $10-12 each.

Hope you see my point.

:)

OriginalBryGuy
06-04-2002, 02:29 PM
Yea, this trade talk is nuts.

There's nothing wrong with trading folks, humanity has been doing it sence they first created the wheel. It's called "bartering". Doing the same with Star Wars figures is no different.

If you buy a bunch of figures with intentions to sell later, that's unethical and puts you in the 'scalper' category. But..people have to understand once a figure is purchased at the register, they have the right to do whatever they want with it. If they want to trade it for something else of equally percieved value, then I don't think there should be a problem with that.

If someone wants a figure bad enough they'll find a way to do it. I'd rather they do a decent trade then pay an inflated price anyday.