PDA

View Full Version : any basketball fans here?

figrin bran
06-03-2002, 02:01 AM
What a Game 7 between the Lakers and Kings! I'm still catching my breath so i won't say much other than "Three-peat!!!!"

2-1B
06-03-2002, 02:15 AM
I'm just going to root for the Lakers because I can't stand Shaq's whining any longer. :mad: Hopefully they'll sweep the Nets so Shaq can go away for a few months. Shoo! :rolleyes:

"Three-peat" ? you say ? I'm thinking the Nets have a surprise in store . . . :happy:

Jonna
06-05-2002, 12:02 PM
I just don't understand how a sports figure can be seen as worth so much more than a teacher or doctor, etc. Someone who actually does something worth while. I mean, I have nothing against sports figures, but there is something wrong with any culture where the youth often times aspire to throwing a ball back and forth as a life goal. I know that I am probably going to get some lip from sport fans, but don't people want more than that?

billfremore
06-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
I just don't understand how a sports figure can be seen as worth so much more than a teacher or doctor, etc. Someone who actually does something worth while. I mean, I have nothing against sports figures, but there is something wrong with any culture where the youth often times aspire to throwing a ball back and forth as a life goal. I know that I am probably going to get some lip from sport fans, but don't people want more than that?

I'm a sports fan and I agree that these guys are being paid too much to do what they do.

My favorite line came from a baseball player during the strike in 94, he commented on how he had to support his family.

Buddy... the league minimum salary for the four major sports is around $1 million a year.

Yup junior needs his Porche for his 16th birthday.

okay I'm done ranting now, back to the topic at hand...

I'm sick of the Lakers, I hope the Nets surprise the crap out of them.

QLD
06-05-2002, 12:42 PM
I used to love basketabll a few years ago. But I can't stand the new generation of players, and all the new teams, and the fact that the game just plain sucks now.

2-1B
06-05-2002, 02:12 PM
bill, I doubt the league minimums are anywhere near 1 mil . . .
I believe the NFL is around 300 - 400 K, but I don't know the specifics.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
I'm just going to root for the Lakers because I can't stand Shaq's whining any longer. :mad: Hopefully they'll sweep the Nets so Shaq can go away for a few months. Shoo! :rolleyes:

"Three-peat" ? you say ? I'm thinking the Nets have a surprise in store . . . :happy:

Whining? I think you're getting him confused with Vlade Divac. :D

I predict Lakers in 5.

2-1B
06-05-2002, 03:37 PM
Shaq would never foul out under the circumstances that Vlade did. :mad:

Yes, Shaq is a whiner, how else do you explain his whining about how the only way the Kings could beat them was via the "c" word (cheat) ? Hey Shaq, here's a way the Kings can beat ya - Mike Bibby as nails with a turn around jumper. Lucky for the Lakers that the Kings were afraid to shoot at the end of Game 7.

Typical, the Lakers win and they're the greatest, they lose and it's because they were screwed. But when someone questions the star treatment? Nothin' . . .

I don't like wife beaters, but I'll root for Kidd and the Nets anyway! :D

billfremore
06-05-2002, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
bill, I doubt the league minimums are anywhere near 1 mil . . .
I believe the NFL is around 300 - 400 K, but I don't know the specifics.

You're right, i should actually back up my facts before I rant about them :)

Here are the absolute base minimums salarywise in the 3 major leagues.

NHL = $150,000
NBA = $350,000
NFL = $225,000
MLB = $200,000

So basically I could get paid to do this for sitting on the end of the bench for the Lakers.

why didn't somebody mention this on career day at school?

QLD
06-05-2002, 04:05 PM
I know the NBA also has a fairly new rule which actually was meant to help vets, but instead hurts a lot of them. They have a higher min. salary for veterans. So, instead of them getting higher contracts, a lot of them just aren't getting them at all. And because of the players union, the vets can't undercut each other and agree to a lower pay rate. Interesting stuff. To me, it keeps a lot of knowledgeable verts that aren't superstars, but can teach the younger players, out of the game. And that might explain the reason the league is such ratty shape.

Jedi Juice
06-05-2002, 08:20 PM
Shaq's my favorite player. When he was with the Magic, he went back to LSU to get his bachelor's degree and I found him one time up there. I asked him for an autograph and he personalized it for me. That was so cool. Anyway, I hope the Lakers win.

figrin bran
06-09-2002, 11:58 PM
so about the surprise that the Nets had in store for the Lakers?

seriously though, the Nets played a great game tonight but fell a bit short at the end, particularly Kidd and Martin.

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2002, 12:02 AM
No one can take Shaq. The guy is so tall and strong, I dont see anybody in the entire league that can guard him. The guy is amazing, but then you also have Kobe and Robert Horry etc. to deal with also.

QLD
06-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Yeah, add all of that about Shaq which is all true btw, and THEN add the fact that they let him charge every other play without calling it, he really IS unstoppable.

pthfnder89
06-10-2002, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Yeah, add all of that about Shaq which is all true btw, and THEN add the fact that they let him charge every other play without calling it, he really IS unstoppable.

Lol, absolutely.

Typical Lakers play : Plant Shaq directly under the basket and watch him reach up and place the ball in the hoop. Oh those wonderful Shaq "skills"...:rolleyes:

He's pretty much the single most overrated player in basketball today.

Then they have Kobe Bryant, who obviously has serious skills, but is such a whiny little jerk that most people can't stand him. Yeah Kobe, why don't you waste 15 minutes of playtime crying about how the Ref dared to penalize you for shoving your arms up your opponents nostrils:rolleyes:

It's a good thing I don't like basketball that much otherwise they would REALLY bother me.:D

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2002, 05:45 PM
I would like to see someone new win it next season.
Hey Caesar, how about the Milwaulkee Bucks!! Go Bucks Go!!

DarthBrandon
06-10-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Jonna

It's not the league that sets this standard, sure they try to get the best players for the team, but the agents take care of the salary issue and the fans support it. Meaning without the fans paying big bucks for season tickets or regular seats, the teams and the players would not exist. Without support from us then they would have no teams or big salaries. Sure I agree that a doctor or teacher who does more than shoot a puck, throw or bouce a ball should make more money, but that's not what society decided. They decide who makes the big bucks and heres their decision i.e. $ all sports players and movie stars $. Make any sense ? No cause not much today in Society does. They let murderers and rapists go free on a technicality, so why shouldn't we pay some guy 200 million to play ball. Feeding your family is one thing but hey it doesn't have to be gold. Anyways I'm done with this rant and I may catch flack for it, but it's only my opinion.

SWAFMAN
06-10-2002, 10:43 PM
I used to be a pretty big Lakers fan back in the 80's, when Reilly was coaching, and they had Jabbar, Magic, AC, Byron, Vlade and the whole showtime gang. I went to several games at the Forum, and watched the rest on TV with a couple buddies. I practiced almost daily for a long, long time, but never got very good.
I discovered a phenomenon at the Lakers games at the Forum, which I dubbed "The L.A. Wave." I'd like to know if anyone else ever picked-up on this...
Me, and most every other guy going to the Lakers games wore binoculars around our necks going to the games. But if you looked around during the game, very few guys were ever using them.
But as soon as the team would leave the court for a TV time-out, or end of a period, the announcer (who had a voice sorta like Michael "Let's Get Ready To Rummmmbllllle!!!!" Buffer) would call out over the PA system, "The LAKERRRR GIRRRRLLLLLSSS!!!" And as the Laker Girls ran out on to the court, EVERY pair of binoculars in the stadium would come up to every guy's eyes at the same time. The L.A. Wave.
I used to love watching the games and hearing Chick Hearn as the commentator. He had some great sayings. When the Lakers were far enough ahead in the last quarter that they were sure to win, Hearn would say the game was "in the refrigerator." In one game, he said, "This one's in the refrigerator, folks. The door's closed, the light's out, the butter's gettin' hard, the eggs are chillin', and the Jell-O's a-jigglin'!"
That was just so cool. :cool: I dunno, maybe you had to be there.

The Lakers were just awesome back then. I've watched a couple of this year's Lakers playoffs & finals games. The first in over 10 years. Bryant & Shaq are very entertaining to watch. But it still isn't "Showtime."

QLD
06-10-2002, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I have always disliked the Lakers. I have always been a big Hawks and Charles Barkley Fan. And in the 80's most people chose between the Celtics and Lakers. I went Celtics. But next year, we need a new champ. Some new team, like, oh, I dunno......the Hawks! :D

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2002, 11:52 PM
I couldnt name 5 people on the Hawks roster right now. That is one team I am very unfamiliar with.

QLD
06-11-2002, 12:04 AM
Most people are unfamiliar with it. I am not sure I can name five players. Let me try:

Jason Terry
Sharif Abdur-Rahim
Toni Kukoc
Theo Ratliffe
Deion Glover
Chris Crawford
Alan Henderson

Hey, I did good! :D

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Lol, shows how much I follow the NBA. The last time I saw Tony Kukoc play, it was for Chicago.
NBA Basketball just isnt that big here in NC, since we have so much college basketball going on here.

2-1B
06-11-2002, 12:58 AM
Bucks? Yeah right! :D They have a long way to go, I'm afraid.

Hornets - are they changing the name when they move to "Nawlens"? I was thinking they should become the Jazz and Utah could change to another mascot. :rolleyes:

Don't give up on the Nets, they can reel off 4 wins in a row! :crazed:
Did you hear that PJ said Shaq might play all 48 minutes in Game 4? They're really looking to close it down!

figrin bran
06-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Quite-Long Dong, you forgot about Nazr Mohammed and Dermarr Johnson :D

SWAFMAN, make no bones about it, Chick Hearn remains the heart and soul of the Laker Franchise. he missed significant portions of this season due to surgery and the team wasn't the same, losing to cellar dwellars like Chicago, Memphis, Denver. fortunately his recovery went well and he was back in the fold around April, back in time to spearhead the playoff run. the mustard is off the hot dog! :cool:

as for the Bucks, i still cannot believe their utter collapse this season. at one point they were leading the Central and had one of the top records in the Eastern Conference. the big 3 were a solid nucleus plus they had bench help in Tim Thomas and Michael Redd. and then the injuries came though i can't imagine that to be the primary reason for their falling out of the playoffs altogether.

QLD
06-11-2002, 01:23 AM
I try to forget them :) Actually, Mohammed is really good!

JetsAndHeels
06-11-2002, 04:13 PM
I dont know if they will remain the Hornets, Caesar. I havent been following that story too much.

Jedi Juice
06-11-2002, 06:51 PM
Well, last I heard, the Hornets will remain the Hornets..... for now. A news article suggested that a renaming of the team could happen in the near future. As of right now, the renaming is more of speculation than actuality, though.

Hopefully, our economy can support and endure a long-term commitment to the Hornets. I believe we don't have any more Fortune 500 companies, so our aristocracy will have to love basketball in order to keep the team alive.

Anyway, it will be fun to have a professional basketball team in town next season. I will look forward to going to a few games.

Adios

JediTricks
06-11-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
I used to be a pretty big Lakers fan back in the 80's, when Reilly was coaching, and they had Jabbar, Magic, AC, Byron, Vlade and the whole showtime gang. I went to several games at the Forum, and watched the rest on TV with a couple buddies. I practiced almost daily for a long, long time, but never got very good.
I discovered a phenomenon at the Lakers games at the Forum, which I dubbed "The L.A. Wave." I'd like to know if anyone else ever picked-up on this...
Me, and most every other guy going to the Lakers games wore binoculars around our necks going to the games. But if you looked around during the game, very few guys were ever using them.
But as soon as the team would leave the court for a TV time-out, or end of a period, the announcer (who had a voice sorta like Michael "Let's Get Ready To Rummmmbllllle!!!!" Buffer) would call out over the PA system, "The LAKERRRR GIRRRRLLLLLSSS!!!" And as the Laker Girls ran out on to the court, EVERY pair of binoculars in the stadium would come up to every guy's eyes at the same time. The L.A. Wave.
I used to love watching the games and hearing Chick Hearn as the commentator. He had some great sayings. When the Lakers were far enough ahead in the last quarter that they were sure to win, Hearn would say the game was "in the refrigerator." In one game, he said, "This one's in the refrigerator, folks. The door's closed, the light's out, the butter's gettin' hard, the eggs are chillin', and the Jell-O's a-jigglin'!"
That was just so cool. :cool: I dunno, maybe you had to be there.

The Lakers were just awesome back then. I've watched a couple of this year's Lakers playoffs & finals games. The first in over 10 years. Bryant & Shaq are very entertaining to watch. But it still isn't "Showtime." Except for "The LA Wave" which I never noticed, that sums up my basketball experiences too. Man did I hate the Great Western Forum though, though at least it wasn't the LA Sports Arena (aka where the Circus usually set up shop ;)), wasn't that where the Clippers used to play? Come to think of it, why do we still have the Clippers? I guess after the '80s, my love of b-ball was playing it, not watching it. No matter how bad I was, no matter how crappy my shoes (from Converse "Chuck Taylor" All-Stars to Nike Pumps to steel-toed boots), no matter how shoddy the court was, I played the game. Just an addendum to that, protect your knees kids. :(

figrin bran
06-11-2002, 09:38 PM
well i actually don't mind having the Clippers around as it's cheaper to go to a Clippers "home" game against the Lakers than vice versa :)

but seriously, they have a nice core of young players like Brand, Richardson, Miles, Maggette, Olowokandi, Odom which could be the start of something great...provided Mr. Sterling is actually willing to keep them together.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 11:19 AM
I always hated the LA Sports Arena. I used to go there before the Ice Dogs moved to Long Beach. What a creepy old arena!

Does anyone know the fate of the Forum besides being a movie set? (Anyone see the previews for Like Mike?)

Last I heard some church wanted to buy it and make it into place of worship. Did that fall through.

And what's the deal with calling it the Great Western Forum? GW hasn't been around for years and people still call it that.

JediTricks
06-12-2002, 04:02 PM
"Like Mike", there's a film I'll be avoiding like the plague. :D

The reason I still call it the Great Western Forum is because at that time, it was the only major arena in LA that was named after a sponsor, the LA Colliseum, the Sports Arena, even Dodger stadium weren't like that, and the Staples Center and other venues were non-existant at that time.

I don't know what'll happen to the Forum, but I have a few suggestions. ;)

Mandalorian Candidat
06-12-2002, 04:35 PM
Does anyone remember when the Lakers got Shaq? I do. It's when they upped their prices, including parking. I think it went from something around $6 up to $10. That was even for Kings games. I thought I'd be smart and park at Hollywood Park and get a break on price, but that's what they charge too! :mad:

QLD
06-12-2002, 04:48 PM
I remember when they got Shaq. I said out loud, Oh no.

I hate Shaq + I hate Lakers = Oh No

And I was right.

Oh no.

figrin bran
06-12-2002, 08:09 PM
i was vacationing out of state at the time the Lakers announced the signing of Shaq and i didn't believe my friends at all when they told me. not until the next morning when i read about it in USA Today did i actually believe them.

QLD
06-12-2002, 11:48 PM
Well, they swept. Yay. :(

figrin bran
06-13-2002, 01:05 AM
"celebrate with dignity" :)

Jedi Juice
06-13-2002, 01:44 PM
I think the Lakers are awesome, but that's my humble opinion. :p