PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about Hasbro doing exclusives?

Tycho
06-03-2002, 02:16 AM
The long awaited Imperial Shuttle Tyderium is currently available for Pre-Order from F.A.O. Schwartz. One of the largest ships in the vintage Star Wars line to ever be produced, its packaging alone won outright for greatest volume. Now you can finally own this craft for only $125.00 plus shipping and handling, and tax. (That's approximately $150.00 all together).

Meanwhile, Target is going to have accessory packs with army builder action figures, the Fan Club has the stormtrooper 4-packs, and Toys R Us currently has the Mace Windu 12".

Mace is $19.99, the Fan Club stormtrooper pack is $19.99 for four figures, and Target's accessory packs should be $9.99.

The future should see the Fan Club carrying 12" Jedi Council Members Ki-Adi Mundi (for sure) and Plo Koon (also likely this year).

Wal*Mart should get the 12" Max Rebo Band Pairs, presumably for $39.99 each.

Past exclusives include the 12" Han Hoth on the TaunTaun, the Tatooine Skiff, the TIE Interceptor, the TIE Bomber, the Faamba, 12" Bib Fortuna and Jedi Luke Skywalker, the Y-wing, B-wing, 12" Bikerscout on the Speederbike, Oola, the Bartender, Muftak and Kabe, the Cantina Band Member, the B'Omarr Monk, and more.

So what do you think about exclusives?

Vote in the poll and then let's discuss your choice!

Beast
06-03-2002, 03:00 AM
I have to go with, yes. There are alot of things, especially vehicles that the stores just won't order due to the previous experience with vehicles during POTF2. I'm sure that Hasbro would love for everything to be avaliable anywhere and forever. But it just isn't going to happen now adays. The stores won't support vehicles, unless they are exclusives.

Atleast sold as exclusives, a store is pretty sure that they will all be sold, and they won't be left with stuff sitting on the shelf, taking up valuable space. I wish exclusives werent necissary, but they are the lesser of two evils. Given the choice of no vehicles/no exclusives and vehicles/exclusives, I have to have go with the exclusives. :)

Not to mention on the 12" line, I doubt that many of those that were released as exclusives, would have sold as well in the regular line. And again, there is the fact that stores won't support a large ammount of large boxed figures. The stores seem to want the most products, stuffed into the smallest space possible.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Battle Droid
06-03-2002, 03:08 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, EXCLUSIVES SUCK!

fourtwo
06-03-2002, 03:42 AM
i think they'd be ok if people other than americans got a shot at them at retail. i agree with jar jar though because it does give collectors a chance to own stuff that wouldn't normally be made.

good poll...maybe hasbro will watch and realise certain people are getting shafted.

Battle Droid
06-03-2002, 03:47 AM
It's more the stores fault than Hasbro's.

Most exclusives would sell like Hotcakes if they weren't exclusives.

And it's the figures/vehicles that aren't exclusives that are mostly peg warmers.

jedi_uk73
06-03-2002, 05:44 AM
I agree with Battle Droid. Exclusives SUCK. Living in the UK, we get stitched up on prices and availability. Our TRU's don't do the same things as the US stores and we don't have Target, Walmart & FAO, so how are we supposed to get stuff??
Pay an absolute packet from a collectors store that's how.

The True Maul
06-03-2002, 05:59 AM
I Don't relly care though I agree with Battle Droid alot.

cujo fett
06-03-2002, 07:20 AM
i have a mixed feeling with this, yes exclusives are good because you get more items made, but they also suck because they are only really available in the usa and in very limited quantities
living in canada, i have missed out on every target, fao schwartz, kb, and the recent walmart exclusives (snowspeeder\tie bomber)
i am mostly collecting the 3-3\4 figures and in most cases they have been more available in terms of exclusives
but, the recent trend in exclusives in switching to this size ( target-acc sets and walmart - cantina\nightclub)
i think they should stick to the larger size toys for exclusives like they originally did or make them all available through pre- order direct from hasbro and available to every country
exclusives--have become a scalpers dream and not only for this line
why do toy companies support scalpers by making exclusives, because the companies make no extra in the toys unless they are directly involved or are the scalpers

trooper09
06-03-2002, 07:37 AM
how about a new poll star wars collectors, cry babies or cheep
skates.i have been reading these posts for some time now and all i hear is a lot of crying about price or exclusives not being available.when did collectors get so cheep.(this is an expensive hobbie not everyone can handle).if you dont like the price or cant aford to buy it DONT.i am a collector no matter what
and i buy everything i like reguardless of price.but not everyone
is cut out to collect every thing hasbro puts out. anyway glad i could rant.

jedi-cpa
06-03-2002, 08:01 AM
EXCLUSIVES!

They stink.

If they made enough where the items would stay on the shelf for more than two hours cool. But don't come up with a tie bomber and then send one case to the local walmart. Not to mention the target exclusives I'll never get my hands on because I don't live anywhere near a target!!

EXCLUSIVES SUCK!!!!:mad: :mad:

Wookie Boy
06-03-2002, 08:28 AM
I have actually never had a problem myself finding the exclusives (partly because I don't collect the 12 inch figures). I have every vehicle exclusive except the Tie Interceptor. It is by pure luck that I found these in the stores. I agree with everyone who says that it just furthers the evil that is scalping. To call people cheapskates is wrong. Not everyone has no life and can stand at the Toys R Us door every morning or go visit Wal-Mart nightly to see if the new product is on the shelf. And why should we have to pay more than retail? Because we weren't able to get to the stores when the low-life scalpers are buying up all that is on the shelf? I don't think so. I have to work and I go to school as well. I don't have time to waste running around looking for these exclusives. And I certainly don't have the money to spend an extra $10 or more on these exclusives. $30 plus tax is a lot to me already, considering that I spend thousands of dollars on the basic figure line and non-exclusive vehicles each year. There just has to be a better alternative.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-03-2002, 08:34 AM
eh, it depends....I don't do much for the exclusives mostly because i can never get my hands on them. I remember when the AOTC figs hit on 4/23 at my wally world and they had a box of the TIE Bomber and Snowspeeder. I had picked up a Snowspeeder and had taken it back weeks previous cause, frankly i wasn't impressed. It seems all they did was take the speeder, ad a "broken shield" sticker on it, added dead body Dak and tilted it on the box...neat........some of them are nifty, i got the bartender dude back in the day, cause that was a sweet figure!!! i just use my judgement on the "Exclusives" if they're worth it and i actually find them, i'll take them, but 90% of the time, i don't have the $$ nor the space for some of that stuff.

just me though...ta!

mtriv73
06-03-2002, 08:38 AM
I love what FAO is doing with the Shuttle. Allowing everyone to pre-order ensures that you won't have to run around to the stores or pay the scalpers on E-bay. It also means that the stores can order exactly what they need and won't have excess merchandise clogging the shelves. If every retailer let us pre-buy, or at least made the exclusives available online, then I would feel much better about the whole exclusives mess.

Rogue II
06-03-2002, 09:09 AM
I don't mind exclusives because they don't usually effect me that much. I have been able to get all of the exclusives I wanted from the store that had them. So, I voted Yes.

However, I do feel for the Canadian and Overseas collectors. I wish that the exclusives were more available for them.

SithDroid
06-03-2002, 09:31 AM
Exclusives are horrible because the stores that get the exclusive never order enough, so what's the point of having an exclusive if you can never find it? Plus having an exclusive only helps to promote scalping because scalpers only have to go to one store to get the exclusive whereas everthing else is mass produced and easily available everywhere. If there has to be exclusives, I say make them available through the FAN CLUB ONLY. That way the Fan Club could take preorders on things and make sure they have enough made to meet demand.

Darkross
06-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I don't mind exclusives because they don't usually effect me that much. I have been able to get all of the exclusives I wanted from the store that had them. So, I voted Yes.

However, I do feel for the Canadian and Overseas collectors. I wish that the exclusives were more available for them.

I only wish that the Exclusives would be available in Canada too, since paying the exchange and tax makes it very difficult to justify buying them. Not only that, but Target and FAO do not exist in Canada, so we never see these exclusives. I noticed that the Skiff is now going for $80.00 US now on Brianstoys.com...wasn't it $62.00 a week ago?

Jonna
06-03-2002, 10:56 AM
See the problem is that exclusives are quite difficult to get in some areas, but they probably would not be produced if Hasbro did not do them in that way. I think that it is better to have a small chance at getting them instead of no chance. What can you do!

Darth Tornado
06-03-2002, 11:07 AM
Exclusives suck. I am missing some of my favorite vehicles because I live in Canada and dont have access to these stores and ordering on the internet is murder. It also promotes scalping and the prices are outrageous when places get a hold of them for order. They should have everything that hasbro produces for order for a reasonable price from a catologue or stores should have catologues that people can look in and order and then the store orders it for them. WHERE IS THE CUSTOMER SERVICE PEOPLE!!!!

stillakid
06-03-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I have to go with, yes. There are alot of things, especially vehicles that the stores just won't order due to the previous experience with vehicles during POTF2. I'm sure that Hasbro would love for everything to be avaliable anywhere and forever. But it just isn't going to happen now adays. The stores won't support vehicles, unless they are exclusives.

I vote NO. I haven't seen proof of the above statement, which I know is the Hasbro company line. Any vehicle that has not been an exclusive has always been available at all the primary toy outlets (TRU, Target, Walmart) plus any online retailers. I just don't believe that the retailers will not order ships if offered to them. They may limit the numbers they stock, but they always order them if available.

I am beginning to think as well that Jar Jar is a Hasbro plant. :)

Tycho
06-03-2002, 11:31 AM
Well, all the stores should have Jedi Starfighters, Coruscant Speeders, and Jango Fett's Slave-One.

It seems vehicles are coming up more often than 12" or 3 3/4".

So, how are the ships selling at:

your K-mart
your Wal*Mart
your Target
your KayBee
Your Toys R Us
your FAO Scwartz

?

Furthermore, I ONLY saw TRU stock the Episode One Queen's Royal Starship. It was not intended to be an exclusive, but a lot of retailers didn't want to buy this item. FAO might have carried it, but I'm sure it was $150.00 there so I never looked for it.

Meanwhile, I remind you that there may be more 3 3/4" figures such as Wal*Mart's Coruscant Nightclub / Mos Eisley Cantina figures rumor and in the past they carried:

Sy Snootles / Joh Yowza
Droopy McKool / Barquin 'Dan
and
Max Rebo with Doda Bodawanaweedipeo-ah-whatever

How was it getting those?

I am also a 12" collector, so of course I'm interested in discussing those - and I've really enjoyed that line's exclusives like the Bikerscout on Speederbike.

But I'll answer the small-ship question myself:

all retail outlets by me: K-mart, Wal*Mart, KayBee, TRU, Target are all selling the E2 vehicles just fine. They need to restock in fact. I would conclude that stuff that size, sent to all the stores, like the TIE Bomber, Y-wing, or skiff would sell everywhere. I think stuff the size of the Royal Starship or Shuttle Tyderium possibly could, but all retailers would purchase smaller supplies of them, then reorder accordingly.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Tycho, I've seen plenty of Targets with the starship. But even if TRU had been the only stocker of that item I wouldn't have called it an exclusive or been too freaked out to find one. That original $100 price tag really made it unreasonable to just go out and by, IMO.

I really dislike the idea of exclusives, but we have gotten new items. However, what makes them so distasteful is that the costs are generally inflated and the quality of the items aren't that great. $40 for a B-Wing with a Rebel Pilot "clone" and no cool features, i.e., electronics or projectiles. If they continue to cost this much w/o good extras then I'll just refuse to buy them.

Why can't they just produce a smaller amount of good ships and send them out to the retailers, instead of producing millions of Slave 1s which will just sit forever?

mark2d2
06-03-2002, 12:15 PM
I honestly think that exclusives DO give us toys that otherwise would never see the light of day. For Example: THE TIE BOMBER. (Hands down, my favorite ship yet produced.) And I know that this is my only hope for the Sandcrawler.

It's just something you have to live with. Besides, scalping would always just happen anyway. There's just no way around it, I guess. Look at all the hubbub over Count Dooku.

DarthBrandon
06-03-2002, 12:21 PM
Exclusive suck for various reasons mentioned in alot of the last posts, they are no good for people who do not live in the area of Target , Fao, and K and B. They have to realize that the market is worldwide, not just in these areas, cause alot of us are no where near these stores. This will def promote scalping and all sorts of bad things in the collecting community. I do not agree with this system, but how are we supposed to stop it. I say petition like EP and Dryanta suggested in one of our forums.

stillakid
06-03-2002, 12:51 PM
How's this for a solution (that'll never see the light of day).

Hasbro "claims" that they have to offer exclusives in order to make some of the ships (why this doesn't apply to all of the ships is the biggest incongruity of the entire argument).

Anyway, assuming that this policy won't change, if Hasbro offers an exclusive deal to a retailer, then they can continue to "claim" that this is the only way that that particular item could have been offered. BUT they should also offer it at the official site for slightly more $. Doesn't seem fair, right? Right.

But assuming that they continue to lie about the reasons for offering exclusives, they won't change that. Having the items available at the fanclub does two things:

First, it being a slightly higher price than retail, keeps the retailer from feeling like there is any real competition for the item and keeps them happy. Plus, the added shipping costs more than seal this argument. It is ironclad and Hasbro nor a retailer could successfully find a way to argue around it.

Second, it gives consumers without access to the retailers a fair chance to PURCHASE merchandise (isn't that what a corporation is for in the first place :rolleyes:, to SELL stuff to get money?). So anyone not within spitting range of a TRU, Target, KB, KMart, Walmart, or FAO (what, aren't they like 5 of these left anymore anyway?) could successful continue their collection, albeit at a higher cost, but at least they could avoid ebay, scalper shops, or not getting the item at all.

billfremore
06-03-2002, 01:57 PM
I'd have to agree with Stillakid, I think if the items in question were available to everyone at a decent retail price then we'd be much happier and less grumpy about exclusives.

Let the fan club have every single exclusive.

I voted no in the poll above but I don't necessarily hate exclusives.

All we want is a chance to buy these things at normal non-inflated prices.

Vortex
06-03-2002, 02:06 PM
I'm impartial to exclusives. Doesn't both me much, I have all the big retailers within striking distance, and around here, the stuff doesn't move that fast, and it always goes on discount shortly after it hits. The only exception was the skiff...that I never seen it at target. The 12" luke, and biker scout just sat on the shelves around here for ages, and its same with all the exclusives.

Plus I'm not overly hot on a re-painted, re-tooled, ship or figure. They just make you shell out a little more. Like the snow speeder, when it was 1st released it was what 15 bucks, less when it was on clearance? Now with the old buff luke pilot, and a generic fig labeled as dak, and some deco paint on it they want 30 for it...

But to me it doesn't matter, hasbro is just squeezing us for a few more bucks. I could take it or leave it.

the last jedi
06-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Well I will tell you, I dont like exclusives. Its cool if they were exclusive but as we have seen in the past oh o look who else has it! And Fao is way out of my price range. I love collecting and also buying some for toys for my kids. I have been collecting since 1985 It used to be fun. now it has become a fight to get the piece. So in short 2nd hand dealers and scalpers are bad for exclusive's and bad on the wallet WOW. So remember when you buy from those guys you hurt all of us collectors.

Dryanta
06-03-2002, 03:27 PM
Hey all,
I voted no.For the same reasons most of you voted no.
I have finished two petitions.They are ina new thread in The Saga forums,
Hasbro and GL petitions thread.Go check them out and see if we can swamp them both.
Thanks alot for this poll Tycho.It really needed to be done.Going to support thre petitions?

WesleySr
06-03-2002, 03:48 PM
OK EVERYONE, HERE I GO AND IT IS REAL SIMPLE. I HOPE THE RETAILERS OF THE EXCLUSIVES ARE READING THIS. FIRST OF ALL, THE ONLINE STORES NEED TO CARRY THESE AND SHIP TO ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD. WAL-MART, TARGET, FAO, TOYS R US, ETC. THIS MEANS YOU!!!! CARRY MORE OF EACH EXCLUSIVE PRODUCT FOR ONLINE DISTRIBUTION SO THAT YOU DONT SELL OUT IN AN HOUR AFTER YOU LIST IT. AND WHAT ABOUT PRE-ORDERING??? HOW ABOUT 10% NON-REFUNDABLE DOWN??? THAT WAY NOONE CAN CANCEL THEIR ORDER WITH A PRICE. START ABOUT 2 TO 3 MONTHS BEFORE THE PRODUCT IS READY TO BE MADE THAT WAY IT GIVES EVERYONE A CHANCE TO GET IT AND YOU KNOW HOW MANY TO ORDER FROM HASBRO. OFFER THE PRE-ORDERS IN-STORE AND ONLINE. THIS WILL SERIOUSLY HINDER SCALPERING. ALSO, LIMIT ONLINE ORDERS TO 2 OF EACH VEHICLE PER ADDRESS. THAT WILL ALSO HINDER SCALPERING AND GIVE THOSE COLLECTOR'S WHO BUY 2 OF EACH ITEM (1 TO KEEP AND 1 TO DISPLAY) A CHANCE TO GET 2 OF EACH. IS THIS REALLY THAT HARD TO FIGURE OUT??? PLEASE LET THE EXECUTIVES FROM THESE COMPANIES READ THIS. LIKE I SAID IT IS A REAL SIMPLE SOLUTION. ISN'T IT???

fanboy
06-03-2002, 03:48 PM
I have to vote no on this. I just want to finally let my "voice" be heard; If its a TRU or a fan club exclusive is one thing, but when they become a Walmart, Target, and KB exclusive...they might as well not exist!! I don't have a Walmart or Target near me so I wind up paying scalper prices! As for KB, those stores are such a mess and full of old destroyed packages, it would be a wonder if they carry anything new at all.

Freedom
06-03-2002, 04:14 PM
I have no problem with exclusives as long as they are exclusive to retailers available to everybody, i.e. Wal-Mart, Target, and Toys R Us. If they are exclusive to retailers like FAO Schwartz, not everybody has access to them and then have to pay outrageous prices to aquire the item.

Darth Evil
06-03-2002, 04:50 PM
I'm totally against exclusives, it means that non-US residents, like myself, will have great difficulty getting them and if we do find them, they'll probably be at massively increased prices.

abell748
06-03-2002, 04:50 PM
I agree with the notion that stores offering exclusives should offer a on-line preorder. Most exclusives in my town go out the back door and never hit the shelf. If they do they are there for about one minute. When the Skiffs came out, Target only put 4 out and that was all they ever had. If Hasbro had any sense they would go to a preorder system or the fan club option. I would gladly buy two (one open, one boxed), from this system. I refuse to buy at inflated scalper prices. It has taken me over a year, but I just recently got the B-Wing and 12" Biker scout at a decent price.
Fight the power!!!

Zingding
06-03-2002, 05:20 PM
Hasbro is a bunch of cheap bastards? Why? Here's why:

The exclusives that they release more than fifty percent of the time are only released to stores in the USA (Target, FAO Schartz) etc. For the collectors in Canada (equally ravenous) it's impossible. For starters we get half of the supplies you all get down there, we've seen a quarter of the product the United States has and our dollar is worth...well crap on the world scale. Do you actually want to know how much the Imperial shuttle is going to cost us Canadians. A paycheck for sure. Haven't got a TIE Bomber yet or a Luke speeder, why? Because we get caught by scalpers all the way or people in the states who don't want to deal with us Canadians. So in the end it hurts us, hurts us bad as we shell out for these things on the secondary market or with exchange (to the fan club) and end up with exactly the same product the USA has had for some time. Guess how many bombers we get at Wal-Mart here all across Canada: 2500. Helpful huh?

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 05:22 PM
It doesn't ever seem that Hasbro even tries to offer some of these vehicles as anything other than exclusives. Why not try and ask the retailers if they would support the Imperial Shuttle or Y-Wing or Desert Skiff instead of just automatically assuming that they would never order them? It seems that exclusives are just another way for Hasbro to display their total lack of faith in the Star Wars brand.

Master Goeweins
06-03-2002, 05:41 PM
I do like exclusives, only because it gives the collectors things they would never have otherwise. Not because of affordability to Hasbro, but because of risk. I mean, what person would take a risk on creating a toy on a character that only had 7 seconds of screen time. Exclusives give the real collectors and fans a chance to have them without taking a loss on Hasbro's part.

However, the way they are handled just plain SUCKS. Sure, limit it to one chain of stores. But at least make them available at the stores. They once did this to promote collectors hunting them down and having a secondary market to rely on. Collecting has changed though. Too many of us couldn't care less about any secondary market, we just want to collect for ourselves. The speederbike with scout was pretty much nonexistent here.

And to just ignore foreign countries is harsh and ignorant. I would buy more from a company that I believed was trying to reward the collectors. Anyways, I agree with WesleySr in Post #29. That is the greatest way to reward us collectors. I like the exclusives, I just want a chance to own them.

Tycho
06-03-2002, 06:01 PM
Wesley, Sr. - you're new and I want to welcome you. How did I notice? You just made your first post. Plus you wrote in all CAPTIAL LETTERS. Online, that's considered SHOUTING. Please write in lower case and use caps to emphasize a word or sentence that's important. Our forums also feature buttons above the reply field that let you type in the box things that you want to have in different colors ,different sizes etc.

Feel free to experiment and learn how to type things the way you'd like eveyone to see them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, I feel totally bad for all of you foreign collectors. I think an international location poll might be interesting in the future - what country are you living in? That sort of thing. I'd say the majority of countries I've seen represented here are:

USA, UK, Canada, Mexico, Germany, Japan, China, Brazil, Australia, and France. Of course the poll could have an option of "other" but I do not wish to offend anyone. I probably left out some country that is obvious, but the general idea is that Hasbro could see where a lot of their customers are and where the toys need to be distributed. If you don't see your country on the list above, please add it to this commentary. (countries on Planet Earth only please ;) ).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to exclusives, I never missed out on an opportunity to buy any of them. But I do set aside time to 'wait by stockrooms' to beat the scalpers at their own game. Mostly I get everything by going first thing in the morning, BEFORE the store opens, and make sure I go in the doors when anyone else shopping does. That covers most of the exclusives right there (Wal*Mart, Target). Sometimes TRU or KB stock in the afternoon. FAO Schwartz has been great about taking a pre-order list and just calling me when it comes in. I'm getting my 12" CloneTroopers (Cmdr. / Capt. ) that way as well. So there's a tip.

But the stores get exclusives as lures to get people to shop there - collectors specifically. For example, I found the new Chewie w. 3PO, Han Endor, and Obi-Wan pilot at KayBee. Unless another wave of newer figures starts shipping (Deluxe Nexu / Anakin vs. Geonosian or the Ephont Mon / Padme Pilot stuff) I won't need to go to TRU, Wal*Mart or anywhere else. I do have a life and just enjoy hunting and collecting, but have things to do the rest of the time as well.

So if the exclusives are collector bait, they can be and are more expensive since they know we "have" to buy these. Most stores stock stuff for the casual buyer as well as the regular. Or else why aren't you buying 35 "Freighter Anakins?"

But sometimes, Hasbro makes something and the stores don't want it even though the fans do: Pote Snitkin, Leia Hoth, ATAT Driver, Death Star Droid (collection 3 FF wave). Exclusives are a good route. Doesn't anyone hope that the Fan Club could at least get the Eopiee with Qui-Gon Jinn after all this time?

I think the shuttle is one of these cases in point. It was shown to buyers in concept drawing, or pictures of the vintage - because that all this will be - a remold of the vintage shuttle. (Nothing wrong with that - it's what I expect and the least that I hope for). So they could have shown an actual 1984 product to their buyers. It was turned down and it was interest on the web more than anything that convinced FAO Schwartz to pick it up. Folks, THEY didn't want to carry it either.

So there you go. We are lucky to have it offered in any category (exclusive or general merchandise).

Those of you that want a large Death Star Playset: I've got news for you - none of the retailers we shop from today would want to carry it. Large items of high cost are totally discouraged. It takes up too much stock room. Most retailers are in business to sell more than just toys. TRU is the exception and that's why they have some incredibly large 21st Century Toys vehicles. But TRU originally charged us $80.oo for the 12" Dewback because they knew they could. [So do you or do you not want a 12" Bantha].

Oh, and the Fan Club's exclusive Cantina Bartender - probably one of the most requested figures of all time in this hobby (so plain Hasbro didn't want to make him, supposedly) was originally going to ship in a CommTech case that was cancelled - when Chewie Chess Set and Porkins were going to have Classic CommTechs and instead were changed into POTJ assortments. So Wuher got stocked at the Fan Club. Since there were too many of him there and folks don't army build a "bartending academy" for their Star Wars collections, TRU cracked a deal with Wizards (a Hasbro subsidiary) to take their extras. Otherwise, Wuher would have gone nowhere.

I criticize the quantity produced and the management of exclusives, as well as their international distribution.

I do not want to petition to end exclusives nor do I think that's a good idea. Please look again at the picture I made for the first post in this poll. We never would have gotten most of these items w.o. exclusives.

I support those who felt the skiff, TIE Bomber, B-wing, and Y-wing could have been mass marketed though. They likely would have sold well and production on them could plod along at half-speed, so that while they might sit a little longer than newer figures (because not all of you collect the vehicles) they could reinstate production later on the same vehicle, as demonstrated recently by the ATST, and put it out again so everyone would have an opportunity to get one. How many of you new collectors lack the standard 1995 TIE Fighter? Uh-huh.

Hellboy
06-03-2002, 06:25 PM
I am one of the lucky few who can fully take advantage of exclusives because I'm in close proximity to most of the stores that carry them. I'm glad that this gets more things made but the stores should always set a certain amount aside for purchase via their online stores. If they took preorders like they are for the shuttle it could give them a better idea of how many to produce. I'm glad I get the opportunity to buy vehicles like the Tie-Bomber and the B-wing but just because they're exclusive shouldn't make them impossible for certain collectors to get. The idea of having exclusives is a good one but it needs work to be a great one.

CooLJoE
06-03-2002, 06:34 PM
I don't mind exclusives....

...to a point.

Here's what I mean. $20 for the 4-pack stormies isn't all that bad since it ends up being $5 per figure. Not a bad price really. $10 for the accessory packs isn't that bad either since you get a nice load of accessories AND a figure. And $20 for 12" Mace is the same as any other 12", just at TRU only.

But things like the FAO schwartz $125 Imperial Shuttle is completely unneeded. This is where exclusives suck. Why not have the Shuttle available at TRU or Target for like $50 (which we all know is what it would normally be, but FAO is a rich person's store so they inflate prices).

If the Shuttle and all other exclusives stayed at regular toy stores available across the country and were put at normal prices, I wouldn't mind exclusives. But this FAO thing really kills it. Sacul was no biggie since its not an actual figure. TF Vader was cool, but nothing needed. The shuttle, however, is an integral part of the storyline and at that price only a few will be able to get one. And once they are gone, good luck since scalpers will be putting them on ebay for about $200 or so. And even if you manage to get one, who is going to open up a $125 toy and play with it. Not unless your rich or bought 2 of them.

Dryanta
06-03-2002, 07:07 PM
My problem is with Retail exclusives Tycho.I don't want exclusives to end either.I want them on the internet where everyone every where can get one.No FAO here.One Target 75 miles one way,Tru is next to the Target.Nearest KB is 45 miles one way.And I'm in Heaven compared to our freinds out side the U.S. I agree whole heartedly with the FACT that they are things that wouldn't be normally produced.But it does no good to alot of us if we cannot get them.And more and more of us are refusing to deal with scalpers.
And if all that are tired of this crap decided to stop collecting.The line WOULD die.Something neds to be done.And if the line is to survive it needs to be done quickly.
At least check the petition.Read it and then decide.No hard feelings either way.Just read them

chrisc
06-03-2002, 07:19 PM
I hate exclusives myself. I think Hasbro should mass market all these vehicles. I live in Walterboro, South Carolina ( It aint on the maps) and we don't get any exclusives. The last time my Walmart got any was back in 1995. I have to drive one sometimes two hours to the stores that might have them. Usualy they don't. I got lucky and found my TIE Interceptor about three hours from where I live. I got my 12" Speeder bike at Target in North Carolina. But my B-wing and Y-wing I had to pay outrageous prices for them. (B-Wing =$72.00 in the box , Y-Wing= $48.00 out the box) My local Walmart Said they were getting Bombers and Snowspeeders but on the release day they didn't have Jack. Manager said they had distribution problems. If any one has a bomber or snowspeeder and would like to sell or trade at resonable prices let me know.

message for Hasbro: some of us "rednecks" like more than trucks
and guns!!!!!!

LusiferSam
06-03-2002, 07:37 PM
Boy I really don't know how to vote on this one. I like that exclusives give the opportunity to get some of these toys. But on the other hand they can be very difficult to obtain, which rapidly because frustrating. Where I live scalping isn't a big problem (the net is a different story), so I can't attest to whether exclusives promotes it. And there are some figures might not have seen the light of day (or ended up as peg warmers) if not for exclusives. So for me its a love/hate relationship.

Master Goeweins
06-03-2002, 07:47 PM
Read post #37 from Tycho. This is a great explanation as to why exclusives are a GOOD thing! How else would we get a 12" accomadating Dewback?

And yes, I DO want a 12" scale Bantha... that would rock my collection.

Turbowars
06-03-2002, 07:56 PM
Keep it simple people, my eyes are tried;) The #1 problem I see, is the exclusive retailers (TARGET! and OTHERS we all LOVE to HATE!) do not order enough to go around.

mdquinn
06-03-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II

Hey can you get me any of the target exclusives?
I Never foudn a SKiff or Y-WIng?

-

CaptQuint
06-03-2002, 09:55 PM
Does Hasbro have plans to re-release any of their exclusive store vehicles?

For one, I loathe store exclusives. Hasbro contends that it makes items available (i.e., Y-wing, B, TIE bomber, etc.) that they wouldn't normally make. Yes, but it plays directly into the hands of scalpers. In my area, I never even saw the Y or B-wings; scalpers had managed to buy them all up to sell on ebay. Later, I heard that other parts of the US actually had to clearance them out to get rid of them. Distribution is horrid.

I asked this in an Economics class. Why does Hasbro spend $$$ redesigning the parts, drawing up new packaging, and making the damn thing when they're only going to their production amounts? They're shooting themselves in the foot.

With the new Tydirium coming out this fall, they will certainly sell out instantly and most will end up on ebay. Is 5,000 of them enough for fans? I think not. See how many are on ebay at Christmas, marked "rare, htf, exclusive, blah-blah-blah"

All exclusives do is create planned shortages of fan favorites and make scalpers rich. Hasbro doesn't care about us, folks. Their sentiment is "well, we made it; it's not OUR fault you couldn't find it."

I can't think of an exclusive vehicle that didn't sell out that was originally under $40. Sure, the Naboo Royal Starship and Dewbacks were overpriced to begin with, but they did sell quickly when reduced to a rational price level.

If the AOTC Jedi Starfighter or Slave 1 were an exclusive, I guarantee you all that it would be impossible to find now.

I wish Hasbro would end this madness or, at the least, make them available on their website for those of us with lives and can't hang around stockrooms 24/7.

Lord Malakite
06-03-2002, 10:00 PM
I'm alright with mail away exclusives, but I don't care for store/one time exclusives. Out of all the complaints you here about, they are always about the store/one time exclusives. The only mail away complaint I've ever heard of was about Han in Stormtrooper Disguise, but that was only because most people didn't find about it until it was too late.

underdog25
06-03-2002, 10:34 PM
It is good and bad, like and double edged sword. I like the fact that things that I want can be made but it is soooooo frustrating trying to track down that HTF item. I missed all exclusives from 1995 to 1997 due to living in Germany at the time and have had to spend an arm and leg getting the ones I wanted for my collection. I like the chase but this Tie Bomber is killing me! The Shuttle is another story though. Why make something TOO exclusive?

BizRodian
06-03-2002, 10:46 PM
I hate exclusives because I can never get them. I started collecting mostly for the vehicles. But up in Canada I have never seen any of the exclusive vehicles. We don't have FAO Scwartz up here, or Target. We don't seem to get half of the Wal MArt exclusives either.

I gave up collecting every Hasbro thing sometime in 1998, when it just became too hard to get everything.

Look, I want a Y-Wing, so make the Y Wing avalible. MAke enough for the people who want them. Obviously, right now, since they're going for 300% of their SRP on Ebay, not everyone who wants one got one. Make some more!

jjreason
06-03-2002, 10:56 PM
Do I like exclusives? Well, I really like the toys that they "exclusive-ise". TIE Interceptor? Awesome. 12" Han and Tauntaun? Unreal. Largely the things they make exclusive would sell in high numbers if they had been placed on shelves at regular retail during the Xmas rush.
The things that should really be exclusives are the more collector oriented figures: Wuher, Oola, Muftak, etc. Only completists care about these characters, so we'll go the extra mile to track them down. To make something popular like the Tyderium exclusive to a small chain of expensive stores is a kick right in the nuts. We all want one, but very few of us have said we can't wait to pay Dr. Evil sized prices for it.
The least they could do is have ALL exclusives available to fanclub members after the retailer has sold theirs. Who really wants to pay double retail plus shipping for a cool vehicle? No one. But we're kind of stuck if we don't have the stores near us. Unfortunately I feel that nothing we say is going to change their strategy. If they continue to sell out these pieces, the exclusives will continue to be produced.

metaljedi
06-03-2002, 11:13 PM
I agree with alot of you, they should make the exclusives available to the Fan Club and they should mass produce them like the AOTC Slave 1 & Jedi Starfighter. Will they do it?? Probably not. I personally love the exclusives (the Tie Bomber is AWESOME) but distribution is lacking. I have a Super and Regular Walmart within a 10 mile radius and have yet to see these on the shelves. I had to go to a different state to get both the Bomber and Snow Speeder. Hasbro is so worried about losing money they either overcharge or don't make enough. So either offer it to us on the Fan Club site or make more.

stillakid
06-03-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Master Goeweins
I mean, what person would take a risk on creating a toy on a character that only had 7 seconds of screen time.

How long was the Landspeeder really onscreen? How long was the Episode I ugly blue landspeeder onscreen? How long was the A-Wing onscreen? How long was the Skyhopper onscreen? How long was the Concept Art Endor Speeder onscreen? How long was the Concept Art Hoth Speeder onscreen? How long was the Concept Art Cloud Car onscreen?

Should I keep going?

How long was Amanaman onscreen? How long was Barada Skiff Outfit onscreen? How long was Vader Battle-Damage onscreen? How long was the AT AT pilot onscreen? How long was the AT ST pilot onscreen? How long was the Bantha onscreen? How long was the Wampa onscreen?

More?

You see, if that's Hasbro's line of reasoning, then it is utter b---s--t. Consumers do buy this stuff. If it's sitting on shelves months later, it's not because people don't want them. It's because a) it has been way overpriced, or b) retailers overorder and blame lack of interest to cover for their own incompetence.

jeffonthego
06-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Hasbro reps have confirmed than many exclusives would simply not make it to production otherwise. Can doubt them I suppose, but their point makes sense to me. So better exclusive than not at all, I say.

And in the end, we all choose what to buy and not to buy. So if you think not at all is better than an exclusive, just don't buy it and it will be all the same to you.

jeffonthego
06-04-2002, 12:15 AM
Just a concession to the anti-exclusive vote, it is true that not all exclusives are products that wouldn't have been made otherwise.

Some of the exclusives are very popular ideas, that are reserved for exclusives to support the retailers/fan club that supports the collection.

And to that end, I am not bothered by that either. If the Fan Club plays a good role in generating interest for the hobby and thus the collection, why shouldn't Hasbro throw them the odd exclusive.

Same goes for the retailers, if giving a big store like Target, TRU or FAO, encourages them to support the line, thus stocking more of the product, then so be it.

Relationship-building is a fundamental part of business. And if it costs you more on the odd exclusive in the short-term, it may be helping you enjoy the hobby in the long run.

darthzirock
06-04-2002, 01:46 AM
Okay, do we need to get out the ol' Websters for the definition of "exclusive"? It means that, no, not everyone is going to get one, because it's exclusive! I myself didn't get the Target Tatooine Skiff exclusive, and I've got a Target within walking distance! Did I want one? Hell, yes! I am going to pay $100+ to get one from a scalper? F#@k, no! You know what? I can live with it!

Now, I think that Hasbro should do something about international collectors -- such as they did with the Toy Fair Vader, allowing TRU in Spain to sell them in the stores (at nearly $50 apiece! :eek: ). Whatever happened to the Hasbro online exclusives, like B'Omarr Monk & Kaybe and Muftak? Why not continue offering online exclusives, either thru Hasbro or the Insider?

I don't collect vehicles, for the most part, but I try to get all the 3-3/4" figures & hate it when cool figures get teamed up with exclusive vehicles (like body-bag Dak or Jedi Luke). Even then, I've missed out on a few 3-3/4" non-exclusive figs, like R2-B1, Swimming Jar Jar, R2-D2 w/ holographic Leia, and Bo Shek. Will I pay scalpers for them? No! Will I cry & complain & sell my collection in disgust because it's incomplete? No!

I've been collecting Star Wars figures since 1978. It's a hobby I enjoy, but it's just that -- a hobby! Once I start paying outrageous sums for these things (as if $6-$10 for a piece of plastic that, if melted down, wouldn't be enough to make a Bic pen isn't outrageous enough), then it's no longer a hobby, it's an obsession! And when that happens, click over to eBay to purchase my collection.

One more thing: I open all of my figures! Yup, even the exclusives! Because, when I display my collection, I want to display my collection, not look like I've opened a toy store in my living room!

WesleySr
06-04-2002, 06:03 AM
Maybe if I SHOUT loud enough, the retailers will HEAR me!!!

WesleySr
06-04-2002, 06:13 AM
Seriously, how many of you would pre-order exclusives with a 10 or 20% non-refundable deposit, if you knew that you would get the exclusive. EVERYONE. Whether it be through in-store pre-ordering which I know Toys R Us and Wal-Mart have done in the past to such things as video games and movies, or online pre-ordering through the websites. And don't limit shipping, send them to EVERYWHERE in the WORLD. That way everyone has a chance to get them at RETAIL prices. You wouldn't have as much in-store stock left over and EVERYONE is satisfied because everyone gets a fair chance at owning the exclusives. I for one dont have the time to be at Toys R Us & Target every morning when they open, or go to Wal-Mart in the middle of the night when they are unloading. If someone could get them to listen, we could end the scalping of exclusives forever, and everyone would be satisfied, except for the SCALPERS, which makes everyone else even happier. The answer to the exclusive dilema is very easy, PRE-ORDERING!!!

Tycho
06-04-2002, 06:56 AM
I agree.

The exclusive serves several purposes:

-rewards a major retail buyer for carrying the line by getting them something they have to attract your business to them.

(this works with pre-orders. You still have to go there to pick your item up, or shop on their website if there isn't a store near you and need to get this shipped, regionally OR internationally).

-makes it easier to find a niche for limited-interest collector focussed items

(still gets us our large and expensive to stock shuttle, and figures like General Dadonna or 12" like Senator / Chancellor Palpatine that might have less demand for them - in Hasbro's all-so-intelligent estimate anyway).

-maximizes their sell-through of stock, since people who don't have local access to the stores can buy the items rather than have them sit on clearance for no profit at all.

Good idea Wesley!

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2002, 09:08 AM
The term EXCLUSIVE even seems like a nisnomer to me since the retailer is still competing with dozens of on-line retailers who operate within the U.S. Hasbro makes their own rules as they go. I'm sick of people saying if it weren't for exclusives we wouldn't get any of the products they offer. This is such a complete fallacy to me based on the simple economic precipe of SUPPLY AND DEMAND. After all the Y-Wings are sold, people are still looking around going What? Where? I want one! Hasbro uses this "exclusive" argument to butter up the retailers, NOT to do you, the consumer, the great service of making hard to find vehicles. If they stopped making exclusives and ramped up the product total (NOTE TO TARGET: order more than one friggin' case of vehicles per store, shmucks), in the long run they would sell more product TO THE CONSUMER.

I also don't appreciate Hasbro's stand that they "don't pay attention or have any influence on their products secondary market value." I'm sorry, but the moment you start spouting terms like "exclusive!" and "Limited productions #'s!" you are concerning yourselves with the secondary market. So you're either lying through your teeth (like you obviously were at Celebration II if the shuttle is limited to 5000 units which you blatantly said would NEVER happen) or you're completely oblivious idiots and having you in charge of a multi billion dollar company is as dangerous as letting chimps run nulear power plants. Either way, exclusives suck.

Dryanta
06-04-2002, 09:12 AM
well said E.P.!!
For those of you who haven't seen it yet.Go to the link at the bottom of this post.Remeber there are two!!

JediMindTrick
06-04-2002, 09:19 AM
I am not a huge fan of exclusives. I have managed to get most vehicles and all 3 3/4 " figures though. I don't hang out at the stock room. I don't have friends at Wal mart or TRU. I just happen to be lucky, there are not a lot of collectors in my area. Heck, there were tie bombers, snow speeders, and Bwings sitting on shevles for weeks. My TRU still has 10+ ATST's sitting out now. I think the distribution practices of Hasbro could use some major retooling along with everyone else. Some day they'll realize that people all over the country want to be included in the exclusives hunt.

The fan club could handle a lot of the exclusives. Heck, they could use the Jedi Master Points that we all have been saving and do a deal like cereal companies do. 1000 Points and $50 for a Shuttle. That would encorage folks to buy more figures, maybe, and actually open them. Or even the exclusive figures from the Fan Club could be purchased with points. When I was younger I saved Flag Pts. from GIJoe figures. You could send off and get discontinued vehicles, variant characters, etc. This would be a great way for those who missed out on the Y- Wing to get one at a future date. Sure it may come in a generic box with no cheezy Biggs remake figure, but you would have one.

I don't have a solution for the international collectors, except write, email, visit, or whatever Hasbro and lobby for better distribution of exclusives. Personally I would bug the crap out of them until I heard something. There is no point why at least Canada can't have the exclusives in stores.

stillakid
06-04-2002, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by darthzirock
Okay, do we need to get out the ol' Websters for the definition of "exclusive"? It means that, no, not everyone is going to get one, because it's exclusive! I myself didn't get the Target Tatooine Skiff exclusive, and I've got a Target within walking distance! Did I want one? Hell, yes! I am going to pay $100+ to get one from a scalper? F#@k, no! You know what? I can live with it!

You're applying the term to the wrong party. They are "exclusive" to the retailer, meaning only one retailer will get one "excluding" the rest. This isn't meant to apply to the consumers (except for reasons of geography, cost, availability, scalpers, backroom dealings, ....)

reape
06-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Here in Austin, scalpers camp out anywhere from 10pm at night until 4am the next morning just to get at the 'exclusives'. For example, some of the local collectors shops have been receiving a steady supply of Tie Bombers. I was in Walmart on my lunch break hoping to find a bomber, and I spoke to this one person who boasted that he had been cleaning them out nightly. Same thing with Target, I have better things to do that to hover around the doors of Target until they open, I have work and school and a life. I'd like to collect more Star Wars but my collecting has dropped to 10% of what it used to be because I am not able to find what I want. I won't buy an exclusive off someone's website or ebay simply because they camped out at a store knowing it's the only place to get them. If they were made available online I wouldn't complain as much. At least I would have a shot at exclusives that way, but not every retailer, like TRUand FAO, sells their exclusives online. I'm sure Hasbro will not complain about tactic to sell exclusives because someone is buying their product, they are not concerned with who. That's my two cents.

rdrunr89
06-04-2002, 10:41 AM
I voted in the "I don't care" field. While I will say that Yes, exclusives allow the stores to set their own price for it, I basically figure that if I don't want it, I'm not going to buy it. 'Nuff Said. =)

reape
06-04-2002, 10:53 AM
Well at retail its a reasonable price, it's when others choose to horde the retail market and introduce their marked up secondary prices, that is what I am concerned about. I've never paid more than retail and I'm not about to begin to. Collecting is a hobby for me and it's supposed to be fun. If the fun value is lost, then there's no point to me buying/collecting anymore. =)

Tonywankenobi
06-04-2002, 12:47 PM
I have to agree with with most of you. It is hard at times to get the exclusives. Scalpers are huge where I live. They have people they know that work at target, wal-mart, tru, and even kb toys. I have seen them sell the exclusives on ebay. They are the ones that dont make it fun anymore. I used to have fun hunting down exclusives with my wife. She and I have been collecting for awhile now. Its fun for us when we acctually get to find an exclusive. We went to Wolly world and got very lucky to get a bomber in a crunched up box!! I was happy to even have one!! I asked if there would be more she(employee) said "probably not". Although I have a bomber in a crunched up box I am still happy just to have one. It shouldnt have to be this way. Everyone should be able to get one, even the collectors over in Europe and Canada.

Master Goeweins
06-04-2002, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stillakid
[B]

How long was the Landspeeder really onscreen? How long was the Episode I ugly blue landspeeder onscreen? How long was the A-Wing onscreen? How long was the Skyhopper onscreen? How long was the Concept Art Endor Speeder onscreen? How long was the Concept Art Hoth Speeder onscreen? How long was the Concept Art Cloud Car onscreen?

Should I keep going?

How long was Amanaman onscreen? How long was Barada Skiff Outfit onscreen? How long was Vader Battle-Damage onscreen? How long was the AT AT pilot onscreen? How long was the AT ST pilot onscreen? How long was the Bantha onscreen? How long was the Wampa onscreen?

More?
[QUOTE]

I'm really not so much talking about the smaller scale toys as I am the bigger ones. The small ones are easier to take a risk on, they don't cost as much to make. I'm reffering to things like the 12" scale Dewback or Han and Tauntaun. Those things are risky!
While I will agree that they can be overpriced a little, how else would we be able to have them?

mdquinn
06-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Apparently I've talked to my Target Rep. and they are not i ncontrol of how many cases they get. The warehouse dtermiens what goes out to each store based on sales reports.

You guys want this stuff, get a friend at one of thses places to hide one for you while stocking,

Thats how I got a B-Wing, well I hid it when Ishowed up and they were $40

We'll when I picked it up a month later it was a'hem marked down to $27.40

Electroncially of course, no price tags

A'hem yes

Slacker Jedi
06-04-2002, 02:22 PM
I think exclusives would work much better if the stores that have them would always take pre-orders, and limit the number of items each person is allowed to buy. Then they can go to Hasbro and order enough to guarantee that all those who'd like one are going to get it.
Otherwise, it promotes scalping, or there will either be too many or too few items made.

aikman
06-04-2002, 02:44 PM
Double edged sword here.

Some of these exclusives are great, but i dont believe some of these need to be exclusives.
Some of these items (skiff,tie bombers,speeder) should have been avaliable everywhere and would have sold. The idea of an exclusive being something that couldnt float on a national level is hogwash, they just didnt want to try.

The act of making it EXCLUSIVE , EXCLUDES.
I cant tell you how hard it is to get some of these things.

If an item will be exclusive the store should :
A)Make it available on their website(some people arent near walmarts or targets)
B)Stock it - I was trying to get the luke speeder and countless targets had no idea what i was talking about , let alone ever had any available to purchase. If your chain has an exclusive, get enough made!
C)Dont juice the price - (han 12" tauntaun $50, 12' bantha $80
Bad move TRU it certainly wasnt worth 30+ more than Han
)

Tycho
06-04-2002, 04:04 PM
Hope you mean 12" Dewback and not Bantha or I'm really missing something I would want ;)

[Bantha is rumored - and yes, Toys R Us would carry it]

Meanwhile I agree with a lot of what JediMindTrick said:

Make the JediMaster Points worth purchasing power to older exclusives direct from Hasbro. Target is no longer stocking skiffs or Y-wings, right? Why not let Wizards of the Coast set up a "SW Rewards Site" and let you go for past years' exclusives there?

Good idea.

As far as international fans bugging the heck out of Hasbro? While I agree, making practical suggestions would help along with the complaining. Again - use the suggestion above: letting past exclusives circulate to those collecting JediMaster Points direct from the FanClub and ship them internationally ANYWHERE!

That might be a practical approach for international collecting fans to take with Hasbro in their letters.

I still think that allowing the company to do smaller, more limited runs on products is good if it allows stuff that would not have been as profitable to be made to still get produced. HOWEVER, they should keep things ready to go back into production. The ATST is a perfect case in point! On that item, Hasbro did a nice job.

As far as distribution goes though, some of that is Toys R Us' fault. Look at people in certain areas clamoring to get scoutwalkers, while 10 of them gather dust in another store. If they don't sell - ship them back to the wherehouse and use those ATST's for their online orders. Duh.

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 05:11 PM
I have to vote "No" because the "yes" answer isn't as true as Hasbro wants us to believe IMO, like EP said in post 59 (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=101139#post101139), Hasbro does these as exclusives to butter up their retail partners and to support a growing lack of faith in the SW brand. If Hasbro really believed what they claim about exclusives, they'd give Target unlimited ordering power on the Skiff but when Target stopped ordering them, Hasbro could shop it around again - but Hasbro didn't allow for such things in their Target deal.

Exclusives bother me because there simply isn't enough availability of these exclusives to go around once the scalper/hoarder market gets their claws into a store. I've still not seen a TIE Bomber or Snowspeeder in person. If the Fan Club could also offer exclusives, I'd probably change my mind, but as it stands now, it's just not reasonable to expect every interested buyer is able to go to such great lengths to get these exclusives. Besides that, you do often have the price increases due to lack of retail competition, and these are used as bartering chips for Hasbro to "reward" (bribe?) their retail partners like TRU or WM or Target - if we fans put $100,000 together, we still couldn't get an exclusive figure made even though that would cover Hasbro's cost plus markup of at least 10,000 units.

The system as it stands doesn't work, I can imagine a system of preordering and guaranteed product; or Hasbro doing what they do with Target (promising them a nearly unlimited supply and no-risk buyback -- the only flaw with Target was that they wouldn't order more, they were content with a rather small number even though there was further demand); or a "shared" exclusive where one retailer gets it then gets tired of it and another retailer or the Fan Club gets their shot at it; or a "limited edition" sticker with the retailers name on it and then the potential for a non-LE package for other stores who want it later similar to how the first 2 POTF2 Cinema Scenes played out; but as it is now, I don't like it, there's no balance.

Most exclusives aren't about collecting or collectors, it's about Hasbro and their retail partners not having faith in the SW brand - but that's as much about Hasbro's marketing is perceived by retailers and the increased demand for and made on retailer's shelf space. Hypothetically, just because Target is too afraid to waste shelf space on the Sith Infiltrator doesn't mean you have to take it off the market and turn it into an exclusive. If TRU only INITIALLY orders 6,000 units and WM only orders 7,000 units, but K-mart orders 4,000 units and smaller distributors order another 4,000 units, that's going to be more units offered than if they scrapped it or sent it to Target where they would order 15,000 units and it'd never be available to order again.

DarkArtist
06-04-2002, 05:21 PM
I admit that there are alot of exclusives that should be limited to stores but in the case of the shuttle and other past exclusives, FAO should not have the only rights to carry them. With only a few stores around it makes it harder for the fans who truely want the ship to get it and the crazuy prices that FAO charges are just insane. True I live in Jersey so all I have to do is hope a train to the city and get one but even the price on the figures is crazy. How can FAO charge $10 to $20 on the same figures that everyone else is selling for only $6 to $10?
Hasbro should have let a store like Toy R Us have this exclusive in the hopes that more fans would be able to obtain the Shuttle and there are mor units that could be sold thus more profit for them.

Tycho
06-04-2002, 05:25 PM
I'd agree with JediTricks distribution plan.

I also wanted to add new information to this discussion.

I read an interview with Hasbro Direct's 'thinkheads' and learned that stores get exclusives on credit. They don't pay for them up front. Hence Target's discount system.

They can then send merchandise back to the manufacturer, get more exclusive for other product (3 3/4" etc that's not sold or whatever), and they just pay for the amount of exclusives that they use (translation: sell).

I'm sure I remember that literally.

eliwankenobi
06-04-2002, 06:50 PM
Exclusives = Good
Exclusive Availability = SUCKS @$$!!

I can understand Hasbro's dilemma in that the SW consumer base is largely fan-driven and that mass-marketing of any SW product usually burns out in mere weeks. Thus, the need for exclusive product to continue the line, but make it more attractive to retailers in that they won't get burned holding tons of unsellable merchandise.
Exclusives in themselves may not even be a problem if we didn't have the scalper and secondary market elements to deal with. IMO, I think that if an item needs to be made exclusive to order for it to be produced, than it should be distributed in numbers that will satisfy demand or thru a means that all interested will have a reasonable opportunity - while at the same time discouraging the scalper/secondary market.

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 09:14 AM
The only way I think retailer exclusives should exist is in cases like the recent Wal-Mart Snowspeeder and TRU AT-ST. These are simply more specialized versions of vehicles that were widely available a few years ago. However, making a vehicle like the Shuttle or Y-Wing a one-time only exclusive is ridiculous. Why not release a standard Imperial Shuttle to mass market and give FAO a $125, limited to 5000 Shuttle Tyderium? This would give the exclusive hunters something unique to search for and still make the Shuttle available to everyone else.

I know, I know, "the vehicle would never be made if not for exclusives." However, I don't believe that for one minute. Has Hasbro actually tried to sell the Shuttle to every retailer? Have they presented it at a Toy Fair just to see how many retailers would be interested? NO. They just ASSUME retailers don't want it and make a deal with FAO for an exclusive production. Ridiculous.

Tycho
06-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Honestly, we don't know what they did with the shuttle and how it ended up an exclusive at FAO. At the celebration they didn't even confirm the shuttle. This remains a "why question" I will ask at Comic Con in a month or so.

Master Goeweins
06-05-2002, 02:37 PM
Yes the prices get too high. Yes the exclusiveness of some is too exclusive. But there are always exceptions that cause the companies to be careful.
Target had the Han in frozen carbonite 12" a while back. I ended up waiting to get it because I didn't think that a carved piece of thin plastic was enough to double the price of a normal 12". I got in on clearance for $11, and had plenty to choose from. Same with the Emperor and Guard. We can still see the Vader and Maul two pack around. These things drive off the companies from making more and stores from ordering more. A prorder system would solve both of those things.

BTW the Luke with speederbike was overstocked and put to clearance in Tampa, and unless you live outside America, it was available from Target's website. Don't forget to check their website even weeks after the initial releases.

JediTricks
06-05-2002, 11:14 PM
From what I've heard, 12" Han Carbonite and 12" Royal Guard/Electronic Emperor are together what caused the big shift in Hasbro's exclusive arrangements, especially with Target.

saladin
06-05-2002, 11:57 PM
i hate how much stuff gets limited because of exclusives, it sucks

Wolfwood319
06-06-2002, 12:15 AM
I voted "D;"

"Most Star Wars Collectors nowadays are *****y little fanboys who don't appreciate what they have."

How can someone who does nothing but ***** about GL, Hasbro, Exclusives, etc. still spend money on those very same products? Are you two-faced, or just plain stupid? If tomorrow, Hasbro said they're cancelling the Star Wars line, and they'll never release any new Star Wars figure ever, would you be happy?

Back to the question at hand, do I like exclusives; Yes. I really like the TIE Interceptor, B'omarr Monk, Kabe & Muftak, TIE Bomber, Cantina Band Member, etc.

The only thing I don't like about some exclusives, is that collectors outside of the US can't readily get store exclusives. Now that does suck, but hey, who said life's fair?

Deoxyribonucleic
06-06-2002, 12:16 AM
The reason I do not like exclusives is because it promotes scalping and there is nothing worse than those kinds of people who buy the whole lot and resale for 500% +

I think it is alright for people to buy some here and there and resale them, (for instance on ebay or for a trade fair across the line) after all this is America and we are a capitalist country BUT to buy the whole lot and take advantage of people who want a TOY because it means WAY more to them than money is cruel and disgusting.

Also, I think a good idea for Hasbro would be to have their own outlet store where we could order direct from them for a regular retail price (they do need to make a profit I believe, hence selling items at the same price as regular retail stores) and then none of us including foreign countries would have to worry about not being able to find or afford (due to scalping or overpriced internet stores) the exclusive items. See, if Hasbro has their own outlet store, it solves 2 problems at once...

1.) Hasbro would not have to worry about producing too much product, they could produce based on number of orders for particular items (there are plenty of econometric models out there to assist them in this endeavor).

2.) Stores would not have to carry these types of exclusives (like vehichles and generally toys that cost more) as much and therefore would not have to worry about losing profit by ordering too many and no one getting them WHICH I must add has never happened when it comes to exclusive items. Someone mentioned before that those items that are usually exclusives would in themselves being awesome and grand sell out no matter what!

Darth_Vader
06-09-2002, 02:00 AM
No, it limits availability and promotes scalping.

bigbarada
06-09-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Honestly, we don't know what they did with the shuttle and how it ended up an exclusive at FAO. At the celebration they didn't even confirm the shuttle. This remains a "why question" I will ask at Comic Con in a month or so.

I keep forgetting that FAO jumped the gun and nothing confirmed on the Shuttle yet. This is one of the only exclusives I have an active interest in buying, the main reason I am so angry at the rumored circumstances of it's release. The other exclusive I really wanted was the 12" Biker Scout with Speeder Bike, which I had to pay $135 for from BT's, since I was stationed overseas when it was released. However, money isn't so easy to come by nowadays for me so $125 for the Shuttle is too much, especially considering the mark-up it will see at many online stores.

As for all the other exclusives, I have taken a sort of "I'll buy them if I see them" approach. I love not being a completist collector.:)

Obi-Don
06-09-2002, 03:39 AM
I will have to go with no. To me all this does is makes it harder for us who don't have the time to go out to the stores when the exclusive comes out. Yes I do think it gives the scalper a better chance to clean the racks off and then sell them at a higher price. Most of us who are collecters don't have the money to buy up everything at once and with exclusives the number is limited and when the money is there to buy the product isn't.

Tycho
06-09-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I keep forgetting that FAO jumped the gun and nothing confirmed on the Shuttle yet. This is one of the only exclusives I have an active interest in buying, the main reason I am so angry at the rumored circumstances of it's release. The other exclusive I really wanted was the 12" Biker Scout with Speeder Bike, which I had to pay $135 for from BT's, since I was stationed overseas when it was released. However, money isn't so easy to come by nowadays for me so $125 for the Shuttle is too much, especially considering the mark-up it will see at many online stores.

As for all the other exclusives, I have taken a sort of "I'll buy them if I see them" approach. I love not being a completist collector.:)

BigBarada: you misunderstood.

At Celebration 2 Hasbro would not confirm the shuttle was an FAO Exclusive. Now it has officially been announced as so.

Note, I already pre-ordered mine (It came to like $150 w/ s & h)
from calling FAO's 1-800 number (I got it out of Thrawn's FAQ's from about 1-2 weeks ago).

So it is official, there are 5,000 pieces, and I assume they'll cancel their pre-order once they have 5,000 orders and those will be the only people that get shuttles unless they decide to produce more.

I don't know if the 5,000 pieces number is correct. You'd think it would be more? But anyway, the ship (which I have a vintage of) would really only be worth about $75 if priced fairly, you'd think.