PDA

View Full Version : Do People Honestly Think That These SW Figures Will Be Worth $??

IcebergSlim
06-03-2002, 09:05 AM
It has come to my attention that there are people out there who feel that they must not open their Star Wars toys because they will lose their value in years to come. I'm sorry, but if you're expecting to put your kid through school with a Mint On Card Mace Windu, you're going to be sadly disappointed. These figures will be worth no more than what you paid for them. This isn't 1980. It's 2002. Where everybody and their grandmother collects toys now.

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 09:09 AM
Yeah, that's the thing, EVERYBODY keeps stuff on the card now, and there's a ton of the product out there too. I mean maybe in 200 years your carded collection would really be a marvelous thing to behold, but you'll be dead by then, won't you? :)

Even if the stuff was worth a lot of money carded, I'd still open all mine. I couldn't possibly enjoy my collection staring at a bunch of unopened boxes and packages. And buying two of everything (one to open, one to leave carded) isn't really an option, financially speaking. Although I think a lot of people leave stuff on the card not because they think they'll retire on it - not the true fans, anyway - but rather because they want to preserve the life of the toys and they like the protection that leaving stuff in the packaging offers. Whether or not it's an aesthetically pleasing way to display your collection is subjective, of course.

icatch9
06-03-2002, 09:24 AM
Very true, and I agree. Still, who knew that a FF Wequay would be worth $375 now. How much will that one be woth in 20 years? I think that is what people hope for. They hope that Mace, or Padme, or Dex will be that one super rare figure that is priceless. I don't open mine for several reason. They look very cool to me in the package. Plus, if I ever did need to get rid of them, I'd have an easier time selling them in package. I never plan to, but if an emergency ever did come up my near complete collection would provide a lot of fast cash.

pthfnder89
06-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by icatch9
Very true, and I agree. Still, who knew that a FF Wequay would be worth $375 now. How much will that one be woth in 20 years

True, but the way I see it, for the last 5-8 years the action figure market has been booming. It's slowed down a bit lately, and it will probably keep slowing down little by little.

As more people stop collecting, there will be less demand for valuable variations like the FF Weequay or Sandtrooper, and with fewer collectors in the market who need a FF Weequay for their collection, the less money it will go for. It will probably always retain a high value compared to other SW figures, but I don't think it'll ever be worth thousands of dollars.

Also, i bet the amount of money most people spend building their collections hoping to find a rare figure like that, would probably be more than the figure would ever go for anyways.:)

princethomas
06-03-2002, 09:45 AM
I used to be a very defiant opener. But a few years later I look at all my open POTF2s and they are crammed in boxes laying on each other. I have a bag full of guns and stuff. Same with Ep1. So when I start POTJ. I started opening them but carefully removing them from the packages. I like the way they look hanging on the wall in their packages too, So I have been leaving the AOTC ones boxed. I think they look cooler and more impressive all hanging on the wall.

Vortex
06-03-2002, 10:03 AM
Its a mixed bag. If you want to make a quick buck or double your cash, you should do it now, while there's a demand with any newly released fig, or if you have an entire collection that's for sale. Bits and pieces won't make you rich. And with a bulk of us collectors hoarding, lord only know's how many, figs there won't be a high demand later. So short term, yes there's a few pennies or dimes to be made, but its short term in the moment. Long run, no way. The movies aren't impacting the kids as much, and they have too many other things fighting for their attention, pokemon, netscape, nintendo, sega, playstation, etc. Star Wars isn't their thing, and the only market will be us collectors who grew up with the old and new movies, and us kids who actually had to play with action figures to keep ourselves occupied.

Besides that kids are fickle these days. The popular demand won't be there, like it is for us. You might make a buck or two off the figs at some later date, but it won't be 3 or 4 times as much, or as much as you hope.

Yea there are a lot of strange ideas out there. People are forgetting this is a toy, treating figures and cards like a precious commody, but really its has little or no value to anyone except us collectors to which it has some personally meaning attached.

Toy collecting is high risk, some items are worth a bundle to some folks, worth nothing the next day. You just have to find the ones its important too, and that's a very small market.

icatch9
06-03-2002, 10:05 AM
pthfnder89, your right. This has been scene with the demise of Starting Lineups. I am and was an avid collector of this line as well. Once they ended the line the popularity dropped and now there is nothing happening on the SLU front at all. As if I would, but I couldn't sell them if I tried. Since SLU's were a Kenner and Hasbro line I think they learned from their mistakes on that line. The line lasted for 13 straight years, an amazing run for an action figure line. Still it ended in a whimper and lost all of its fans. I do not think that Hasbro will let this happen with Star Wars. I think the popularity of the movies, vs. the popularity of sports is very different. Sports will always be popular, but sports collectables has seen a better day. With the Star Wars movies being more popular than ever, I think we have a long time before the toys die down, but your right it will one day. So, when that day comes, I hope I can get a FF Wequay for $20 :) ;)

Jedi Juice
06-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Personally, I like to keep all of my figures packaged, only because it looks nice on my display. However, the figures I really love, I try to get two of them, and display the loose figs also. Unopened and opened really depends on the collector.

Adam
06-03-2002, 04:26 PM
You're wrong tjovonovich... I've seen more kids browsing AOTC stuff than any Star Wars line I've seen in years.

aikman
06-03-2002, 04:37 PM
I buy star wars because I like it, whether its wiorth anything means little to me, I aint selling anyways.

Some stuff will be worth a little dough(maybe 2-3 times retail) but not a whole lot. On the most part, most people have dumped more money into thier collection tyhan they ever will get out.

I think they look cool on card but take up lots of room.
Too many people collect them now and are aware of what MOC means. You wont be able to sell these for any serious profit , u would be lucky if u broke even.

Part of the reason I started opening more of my figs recently is because I just realized that I had a bunch of ep1 figs that just sat there unopened and unappreciated. I felt bad and opened a bunch and had a blast.

Dont collect make $ , collect to have fun

QLD
06-03-2002, 05:08 PM
Collecting for value is pointless, just like in the Sports Card industry. Everyone saves them now, and if you really want money out of them, sell them NOW, while they are worth something.

Cubehead
06-03-2002, 05:09 PM
None of this stuff will be worth a dime. I say this having a HUGE collection as well. It's only real value is to those who love it.

There are so many hoarders, dealers, and packrats that will someday soon, be dumping massive collections. It will be only a matter of time before this happens. People get out for one reason or another. Eventually we'll see many people doing this and when they do the market will flood with products.

I don't know how many dealers I see with tons of 'valuable' product that they just can not move. Reguardless of it so called rare-ity(sp.)

Vortex
06-03-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Adam
You're wrong tjovonovich... I've seen more kids browsing AOTC stuff than any Star Wars line I've seen in years.

Well maybe in your neighborhood, but here its just the old duffers like myself. The nights and weekends I go to hunt or get basic supplies, its only 20 somethings in the isles.

Even when I worked at TRU in college after classes and weekends, mind you 4 years ago, the bulk of the buyers where the employees and college kids and 30 somethings...and this was before, during and after Ep 1. Most of the little kids wanted bat man, and pokemon, those digital babies, and power rangers.

In my area, St. Paul, its just pretty much a collectors market. Your area might be different...hey where you from anyways? Maybe when the last movie shows I'll dump half of my collection to the kids in your neighborhood. I know with all the scalpers and collectors around here I'll have trouble unloading the carded stuff:)

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 05:13 PM
If you want make money in the long run people would be better investing their money rather than buying figures or other collectible. For every plastic cape Jawa there are thousands of Jar Jar's. Remember all those people lining up to buy the Death of Superman issue? People being interviewed in line were saying that they were going to put their kids through college with those comics. Idiots.

It has to be for fun or you're in it for the wrong reasons as well as it's a losing proposition. If you had put $100 in a basic savings account 20 years ago it would be worth about $330 now. I'd rather bank on that then my army of plastic men/women/aliens.

I'm doing this so my grandkids will think I'm cool! :)

BillyJAck
06-03-2002, 06:08 PM
Well this is just my opinion. Variations will be worth money to people always but i hate them so i don't bother But its always seems like the last waves of a line are the ones that will be worth the money. I think that TC-14, R2-B1, Amidala Battle, Sio Bibble, and Sidious Holograph will be worth alot of money in twenty years. But alot changes in 20 years you might not give a damn about painted lil men glued to cardboard by then. Also the last line of the potf2 figs might be worth something. Like Admiral Motti, and those others with the commtech. Thats why i'm looking forward to the latter in the lines the saga figures.just my opinion

F.L>

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 07:01 PM
I watched the demise of the vintage line in 1986, where you saw tons of figures rotting on the shelfs at $0.50 each and nobody buying them. Now all those figures are being clamored for by adults and sold for waaay above their initial retail price.

I'm not suggesting that the new line will see that kind of demand in 20 years, since the primary buyers of SW toys since 1995 have been collectors and scalpers.

However, with Ep2 it's been different, I've seen kids tearing through the Wal-Mart SW display EVERYTIME I have been to Wal-Mart. Mostly buying up key Jedi (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda) and Battle Droids. Thus there might be a small demand for those toys in the future but with all the MOC collectors out there that demand will never reach the fervor of the vintage line.

If you are so intent on saving toys for future profit then stick with what kids love these days: Spider-Man, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Digimon, etc.

steve3p0
06-03-2002, 07:18 PM
i feel safe in saying that should i ever decide to sell my star wars toys, i will be able to get back at least a reasonable percentage of what i paid for them.

SuperBattleDroid88
06-03-2002, 08:05 PM
I personally don't think any of these figures will be worth much...
$.50-$1.00

Count Dooku
06-03-2002, 08:38 PM
I think the "key" figures will be worth a little bit of cake in the future. Take for example Yoda, probably the most popular guy in Episode II. Kids, adults everyone I talked to thought this and that would make Yoda probably the most popular guy to get in 3-3/4 line, which he is at least up here. Actually Yoda is extremely popular and hard to find. On the flipside of that coin, figures like Battle Droid and 3PO won't be worth the money that you pay for them now.

Its weird, I collect them because they look great, I am a huge fan, but more than anything I love looking from store to store for that elusive figure. I guess its the thrill of the chase that does it for me. Nothing is more rewarding than going in to Wal Mart, and snagging their last Yoda, kinda makes it all worth while.

DarthMushy
06-03-2002, 09:10 PM
These things are SO mass produced that they'll never be worth anything, probably even less than the $5.88 they're going for now.

I take some figures out, but leave most carded, because I like to display them that way. They look really cool hanging on my wall like that. I simply don't have the room to display all of the figures opened, but I do have some opened ones displayed.

Wolfwood319
06-03-2002, 09:26 PM
After the line dies, and all the "diehard" collectors have one of everything, these figures will be worth less than spit. Even these so called "variations" won't be worth any more than the regular figure. There will maybe be a half dozen figures or so that will ever fetch more than $5-$6 in the future.

Once the last SW line dies down after SW 3, and all but the 30-something collectors have moved on, (mind you these are the collectors who are MOC collectors who already have everything) no one will care. It'll be 1987 all over again. Star Wars will forever be immortalized as a college cult classic, that's about it.

As for all these kids buying AOTC; these are the same kids that were buying Spidey toys a month ago, and Harry Potter toys 6 months ago, and will be buying the next "hot" items next month.

DarthBrandon
06-03-2002, 11:54 PM
I guess it depends on how you look at it, sure after 2005-6-or7, these figs may not be worth a thing to most people, but I'm sure somebody out there in the world, who didn't get on the band wagon when it started, may want some of these figs. I for one may pick up some down the road. I guess they may not be worth alot to people who already have them, but the ones that don't, will want them. Bottom line is they are only worth what you think they are. If your ready to part with them, and someone wants to buy them, then so be it. I for one will be leaving them to the mercy of my son, to do as he sees fit.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 01:02 AM
Look at the Star Trek line from Playmates and the Starting Lineup line from Kenner. Both lines aimed at collectors and both very easy to come by nowadays. I remember when the ST line was the hot ticket, since all the figures were numbered and they each came with a "collectible" trading card. People were paying prices similar to what we see on ebay for "HTF" Ep2 figures. Now, you can easily amass the entire ST:TNG line for about $5 per figure. Less than retail.

Look at how rare and hard to find those Lando Calrissians and Princess Leias from the 1995 initial waves are right now. I would be surprised if you had to pay more than $2-$3 for each of those nowadays. Same with all those "rare" Ep1 toys. Online retailers are giving away the damned things!

Another, older SW example. The ROTJ line, with a few exceptions you can easily obtain any figure on an ROTJ card for $20-$30. And you can get most of them for about $10-$12 loose. This is at Brian's Toys, the store most collectors accuse of overpricing and scalping.

The 1978 SW line took everyone by surprise, as did the 1980 ESB line (since sequels NEVER performed as well as the originals). On top of that 90% of them were opened up and trashed by kids. Don't get me wrong though, there were pegwarmers even then (Han, Chewie, Death Squad Commander, Stormtrooper, Leia, Ben) and Kenner was forced to accept returns or the retailers wouldn't order any ESB merchandise. Another factor to add to their rarity, as thousands of them were sent back to Kenner to be re-carded under ESB cards.

POTF had lack of retailer support and GI Joe to contend with and to bring about Star Wars' eventual downfall. It didn't help that GL stated that ROTJ would be the last movie. Thus like the end of the POTF2, EP1 and POTJ line: the last waves of the vintage line became some of the rarest figures.

My point is that 1978-1980 was a completely unique phenomenon in Star Wars toy history. One that will never be repeated in the modern lines. Star Wars took everyone by surprise in the late 70s that is the main reason why the toys are so valuable. It's damn sure not because of excellent scultping and movie authenticity.:)

BillyJAck
06-04-2002, 01:14 AM
What about these(please don't jump on me!)

TC-14
r2-b1
Sio Bibble
Amidala with ascension gun
Holograph Darth Sidious

I still don't have these and only saw one tc-14 in my life that was in my uncle's pocession(which i passed on when he asked if i wanted to pick it up for 5 bucks but we are talking about it ) These figures seem to be going strong at $20-30 bucks a pop on ebay for like a year straight there is always like 20 auctions of all of these figures 24/7 365 a year. so there is some demand aftertwo years of release. I think these will one day be worth like $50-70 bucks but in like 20 years. Don't be so quick to say they certain figs won't be worth spit. I have a good memory of my brother and me at a TRU back in early 1986 when i was very small and seeing the whole line for $1.00 or so. They had them ALL. My brother told me that they wouldn't be worth spit! Then he picked up his super power figs. GoD we could have walked out with two cardloads of vintage potf. Shows you shouldn't be so skeptic sometimes. only rare figures or the hard to find ones will be worth anything. Count Dooku won't be worth spit ever, or mace, or bespin luke... I have faith in the ep1 fab 5 as i like to call them.

BillyJAcK

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by BillyJAck
What about these(please don't jump on me!)

TC-14
r2-b1
Sio Bibble
Amidala with ascension gun
Holograph Darth Sidious

Those will most likely hold most of their value in the future since they fall into the "last waves" category of action figures. Any of the last few waves of a figure line before the line's demise will always be the most sought after.

Vintage "last 17:"
EV-9D9
Artoo pop-up saber
Han Carbonite
Warok
Romba
Barada
Paploo
Lumat
Luke Stormtrooper
Luke Endor
Lando General
Anakin Skywalker
Imperial Gunner
Amanaman
Yak Face
A-Wing Pilot
Imperial Dignitary

POTF2 (Kenner):
Zuckuss
Ishi Tibb
Ree-Yees

POTF2 (Hasbro):
Leia CTC
Admiral Motti CTC
Wuher CTC

Ep1:
TC-14
Swimming Jar Jar
Sio Bibble
BD Destroyer Droid
Holo Sidious
Amidala Ascension Gun
Pit Droid 2-Pack
R2-B1

POTJ:
Boshek
Teebo
R4

Those are the figures that I believe will still retain some collectibility value once the line is dead. Based on low production numbers because they were the last waves of their line.

KEBco
06-04-2002, 03:52 PM
We promote comic book and toy shows in the Atlanta GA area and many times a customer will ask, "Which figure (comic book) should I buy so I can make a profit selling it in a few weeks?"

My standard answer is always, "If you buy something with the intent of making a profit off of it, I guarantee you will not - make a profit."

Buy something you will enjoy. Something you would not mind owning in a month, two months, even forever.
Later if you can sell it and make a profit, thats great. But if you can not sell it, then you still will enjoy owning it.

Leave the selling for profit to the retailers, like KEBco or TRU, etc. Even we have several items that I wish were never purchased and I really do not enjoy owning them. But thats what makes for a great sale.:crazed:

billfremore
06-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Ya know I had a similar question posed to me many years ago in regards to my comic collection.

The head of our comic club commented on how we always bagged and boarded everything we got in an effort to keep it as pristine as possible.

Then he asked us why.

and for the first time in my life I thought about why I collect things, be it comics or toys.

I collect them because I like collecting them, not because I want to sell them.

My copy of the Superman #75 is as valuble to me as my copy of Booster Gold #1

and thusly my R2 with holographic Leia means as much to me as my Ric Olie or Padme Naberrie figures.

I may give all of this stuff away someday to someone who will appreciate it as much as I have but until then I'll just continue collecting for the love of it.

Forhekset
06-04-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Ya know I had a similar question posed to me many years ago in regards to my comic collection.

The head of our comic club commented on how we always bagged and boarded everything we got in an effort to keep it as pristine as possible.

Then he asked us why.

and for the first time in my life I thought about why I collect things, be it comics or toys.

I collect them because I like collecting them, not because I want to sell them.

My copy of the Superman #75 is as valuble to me as my copy of Booster Gold #1

and thusly my R2 with holographic Leia means as much to me as my Ric Olie or Padme Naberrie figures.

I may give all of this stuff away someday to someone who will appreciate it as much as I have but until then I'll just continue collecting for the love of it.

I have a collection of about 1500 comics or so, some valuable, some not (I didn't buy stuff to try to make money, I bought - and read - the comics I liked). I have all of mine bagged and boarded just to keep them in good shape (cuz I go back and read some of them now and then). Same as although I open my SW figs, I do try to keep them in nice condition and looking good.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Sadly the aftermarket pricing is dictated by those who are in it for the money for the most part. If money wasn't an object to anyone invovled I'm sure the prices wouldn't spike as high as they do. Even a shortpacked figure has a production number in the several of thousands but it's price will triple or quadruple that of any other figure in the first few weeks of release. Once the collectors market is satisfied and everyone has their figures the market settles and the prices fall.