PDA

View Full Version : the funniest commercial yet!

hango fett
06-03-2002, 09:26 AM
i just saw a commercial for spirit, and it said "twice as much action as star wars episode II." hahahahahahahahahahah! what a waste of advertisment! theres no way it could have more action than episode II because AOTC is pg for violence! what ididots!

JEDIpartner
06-03-2002, 09:35 AM
I thought I was dreaming when I heard that... I just thought, "What the F***??? Sharon! Shaaaaarrrrrronnnnnn!!!!"

My friend Jenn, Miss Surly, asked... "Does that movie even have a POINT???"

Funny, but I don't take too much stock in her opinions of films. She thought "Spiderman" was boring and the bad acting in AOTC made the whole film crap.

LTBasker
06-03-2002, 09:40 AM
So, does the movie have a point? :D

I saw that commercial and couldn't believe they actually said that. I was wanting to see the movie just to check it out but since they said that I definitely won't be, that was just ridiculous.

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 05:24 PM
Not SW commercial, but the Sears commercial where the guy gets milk out of the broken fridge and spews it all over the place and his wife says, "the fridge is broken."

mabudonicus
06-03-2002, 05:36 PM
Yeah, that Spirit ad...... remember, though,that there were millions of battle droids and stuff in frontier America, too, so don't jump to conclusions, guys........I think it'll blow AOTC away!! Cmon, history as told by a Disney style horse?? Makes AOTC sound like a lump of CRUD!!!
What about the commercial for the "force action" figs?? Where the disclaimer "figures MAY fall when they jump" flashes on screen? And THEN, they show a saber fly a couple inches and smack into Anakin so hard he ROCKS?!?!? THAT's funny!!!

DahrJin
06-03-2002, 05:41 PM
I saw that one as well. Yeah right, if you're a 4 yr. old girl. :D

I saw a commercial that looked like a spider man ad, that said "Swing into action with Americas #1 superhero this summer", and it was written like the text in the spider man adds. I thought it was going to be yet another SM ad, when it jumps to YODA fighting DooKu in the Hanger, flippin' and jumping all over the place. Now that's one of my all time favs.........;)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-03-2002, 06:41 PM
A horse is a horse, of course, of course...

QLD
06-03-2002, 09:41 PM
Maybe they are talking about a different type of action. If that is the case, I REALLY don't want to see it.

Jason B
06-03-2002, 10:28 PM
yeah, i saw that commercial too, and i broke out laughing when i heard it. just as they say it, that stupid horse is going bailing over a cliff with some guy on his back, and that's probably going to be the most action in it. :rolleyes:
the funniest comecial I have ever seen has to be the one with this old woman sitting there next to her husband, and she says something to him, then she laughs, and says, "Oh, sorry." (the guy hadn't moved at all.) then the taxidermy.com logo fades in. LMAO when I saw that.

SithDroid
06-04-2002, 12:36 AM
I hate commercials like that that try to take advantage of the movies that they know are going to be the blockbusters. They do it so people will say, wow I wonder if it is actually action packed like it says. Whatever, I don't buy it and was never planning on seeing this lame movie anyway. What is the point of the movie anyway? Who cares? I am sick and tired of all of these stupid movies about horses that have been made lately. There is no need for them.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 06:06 AM
My favorite right now is for some car, I don't remember the make or model; but it shows the car parked on the side of the road and has a dog running out of a nearby garage full speed, barking up a storm. He disappears behind the parked car and you just hear this "THUDD!" as the dog rams into the back of the car. It then closes with the make and model of the car followed by the slogan "Looks Fast" as the dog slowly limps back to his house.:D

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 10:28 AM
They also made a commercial just like the dog one with an old guy yelling "Slow down! This is a neighborhood!" then realizing it's parked.

MisterPL
06-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Wow. Sounds like the Spirit ad is certainly doing its job. People ARE talking.

You guys should check out the forums over at NaturallyCurly.com (http://bb.naturallycurly.com/cgi-ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=15). They tend to blast movies they haven't seen, too. Except they're actually offended by movies like "The Princess Diaries," which promote the straight-haired ideal female image. They DO have a point.

And remember, children; ACTION does not equal VIOLENCE. Get your head out of the video games for a while. All that first-person shooter crap is dulling your common sense and giving you tunnel vision.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2002, 11:28 AM
My favorite (??) movie critic's comment about a film was for Indepence Day: "This generation's Star Wars!" What?!? :eek: How so? I never take heed of critics' criticisms. :frus:

SWAFMAN
06-04-2002, 12:05 PM
I think the funniest tv ad running now is on ESPN, where this guy comes in to a diner wearing a jacket (the atheletic style that are fleece with vinyl leather-looking sleeves) with the signatures of the whole Boston Bruins team from the last year they won the Stanley Cup (about 20+ years ago?). He's showing it off to his friends at the table. and the waitress comes and spills a glass of water on the jacket, then starts apologizing and wiping if off. Of course, with every wipe she removes another signature.
The guys at the table are in a total state of shock, and one of them makes this sound, sorta like "whoa." I guess you have to see it.

There's a couple others about NASCAR on ESPN that are great, too. One where this jogger intentionally darts out in front an oncoming car, causing it to screech to a stop. The driver then leaves again hollering angrily at the jogger like, "are you crazy?!?"
When the car leaves, the jogger gets on his knees over the tire skid marks, and inhales deeply with big smile on his face. The announcer asks, "How bad have you got it?"
The other ad asks if you use auto racing colored signal flags to warn family members of household hazards. It shows this lady coming up the stairs, heading toward the bathroom as the husband exits the bathroom. He sees her coming, and there's a can next to the door, like the ones people use to hold umbrellas next to their front door, and he takes out a yellow flag and waves it just like they do at the race track. The wife sees it and turns right around and heads back downstairs without a word.

mabudonicus
06-04-2002, 05:12 PM
That sounds like some kind of insult Mr.Pl. That's funny, I thought everyone here was my friend............

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos
My favorite (??) movie critic's comment about a film was for Indepence Day: "This generation's Star Wars!" What?!? :eek: How so? I never take heed of critics' criticisms. :frus: I thought that was Titan A.E..

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by SWAFMAN
There's a couple others about NASCAR on ESPN that are great, too. One where this jogger intentionally darts out in front an oncoming car, causing it to screech to a stop. The driver then leaves again hollering angrily at the jogger like, "are you crazy?!?"
When the car leaves, the jogger gets on his knees over the tire skid marks, and inhales deeply with big smile on his face. The announcer asks, "How bad have you got it?"
The other ad asks if you use auto racing colored signal flags to warn family members of household hazards. It shows this lady coming up the stairs, heading toward the bathroom as the husband exits the bathroom. He sees her coming, and there's a can next to the door, like the ones people use to hold umbrellas next to their front door, and he takes out a yellow flag and waves it just like they do at the race track. The wife sees it and turns right around and heads back downstairs without a word.

Those NASCAR adds are hilarious!:D I also like the one where the guy in a Yugo gets pulled over for doing 64 in a 55 and tries to bribe the cop into writing on the ticket that he was doing 185 mph.

Some of those Sprint PCS commercials are pretty funny too, especially the "soup from the store"/"soap opera star" and the "bring home some shampoo"/"bring home Shamoo" ones.

hango fett
06-05-2002, 07:52 AM
those nascar commercials for staker 2 are just funny/stupid.

pthfnder89
06-05-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Those NASCAR adds are hilarious!:D I also like the one where the guy in a Yugo gets pulled over for doing 64 in a 55 and tries to bribe the cop into writing on the ticket that he was doing 185 mph.

I can't stand NASCAR but those commercials are hysterical. The Yugo one had me laughing for about 3 minutes.:)

billfremore
06-05-2002, 01:08 PM
My personal favorite is when movies compare themselves to better movies.

"It's like Silence of the Lambs meets the Matrix!"

this should let you know right off the bat this movie is going to suck.

I loved the quote for Titan A.E.:

"It's the one Star Wars fans have been waiting for!"

News to me!
Funny, I thought we were waiting for Star Wars.

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 01:17 PM
I liked the Geico commercial with the squrriels, that ones just great. :D And the new Geico commercial with the Taco Bell dog!

The NASCAR commercials are very funny, especially the Dale Jarret "Race the Truck" commercials. :D

Have you seen the NASCAR commercial when a man and a woman are in a bed and it's during the night and their neighbor is working on his motor and has it running so it's very loud and they have the window open a small crack then the wife says "Honey are you going to get that?" and the guy gets up and opens the window up wider. :D

MisterPL
06-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by hango fett
i just saw a commercial for spirit, and it said "twice as much action as star wars episode II." hahahahahahahahahahah! what a waste of advertisment! theres no way it could have more action than episode II because AOTC is pg for violence! what ididots!

Went to see Spirit yesterday. As a Star Wars fan, I'm a little sorry to have to admit this, but it DID have more action than Attack of the Clones, probably twice as much. Yes, even "violence." :rolleyes:

If your idea of "action" is limited to lightsabre duels and laser bolts, then Spirit isn't your kind of action film. However, if you expect chases through CGI environments, explosions, gunfire, personal conflict, hostile rebellion, bondage, and more chases, give Spirit a chance. If you prefer political debates, wimpy romance, and tours through libraries and cloning facilities, stick with Episode II.

JediTricks
06-17-2002, 03:59 PM
PL, I heard that all the animation for Spirit was drawn, not CGI, is that false?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-18-2002, 12:09 AM
Yes, Geico has had many humorous commercials over the last few years. In addition to the one with the squirrel who nearly misses getting hit by a car, they have one with a guy calling his parents from the hospital on the payphone. Aoparently the family is too cheap to accept collect calls (and hey they are getting pretty expensive) so the man tells the operator, when she asks for his name, that it is "Bob, Last name Wehadababyitsaboy," only he says it very fast. The father of the guy, refuses the collect call and then hangs up. The father then tells his wife when she asks who called, that it was "Bob, he had a baby. It's a boy!" Then the narrator chimes in, "save money the legal way. Call Geico."

You also can't beat the Cedric the Entertainer commercials for Miller Light (I think), especially the one with the runaway port-a-potty. Foster's, Austrailian for beer also has some very entertaining commercials. For that matter, you can't beat most beer commercials.

QLD
06-18-2002, 01:31 AM
My friend told me that Spirt wasn't that bad, but it couldn't decide what type of movie it wanted to be. Do the animals talk? Or do they not talk. He said it drove him crazy.

JediTricks
06-18-2002, 03:50 PM
According to Ebert & Roeper, the animals do NOT talk, but we hear the inner monologue from Spirit.

bigbarada
06-18-2002, 03:58 PM
My favorite Geico commercial is the one in the restaurant where the waitress brings this guy a sandwich and the guy looks at it and says, "I didn't want mayo." The waitress then takes the top peice of bread, wipes the mayo off on the table and sticks the bread back on the sandwich.:D

I don't see why Spirit made such a big deal about going up against Ep2. AOTC vanished from the theaters over here without so much as putting up a fight.:frus:

Jason B
06-18-2002, 09:26 PM
yeah, that's one of the few things that actually disturbes me: the fact that E2 should be in theaters for a while longer, and it gets...... *sigh* it isnt worth the effort. :(

LBC, there was another version or that commercial, a longer one. (commercials get cut a lot, and it sucks.) It didnt mention the "doing it the legal way" bit, and also, at the end, it had the guy saying something else all crammed together, but i dont remember what. :rolleyes:

My new fav is the 10-10-220 commercial with Alf in it. I have no Idea why, but when he says the line "I eat lint," it just struck me hilarious. Same with the Geico sandwich one BigB. :D

DeadEye
06-18-2002, 09:37 PM
I liked the Geico commercials with the gecko...and he tries to change his name to "Komodo dragon." :D

LTBasker
06-18-2002, 09:41 PM
Geico has a new one with the Taco Bell dog. :D

Kermit and Ms. Piggie have a couple of commercials, one is for Dennys and the other one is a Race the Truck. :sur:

JediDan
06-19-2002, 04:20 PM
My fav commercial right now is the new one for A&W Rootbeer. The one where Mr. Dumass is interviewing a guy for a job. But the guy thought his name was Dumbazz. He was saying how he was Dumbazz material and on and on. :D :D That one cracks me up everytime I see it. :crazed:

Sorry for the z'x instead of the S's but the forum kept **** dumb ***.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-20-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by JediDan
My fav commercial right now is the new one for A&W Rootbeer. The one where Mr. Dumass is interviewing a guy for a job. But the guy thought his name was Dumbazz. He was saying how he was Dumbazz material and on and on. :D :D That one cracks me up everytime I see it. :crazed:

Sorry for the z'x instead of the S's but the forum kept **** dumb ***.

Whoever wrote this commercial obviously cribbed it from a scene from the Shawshank Redemption. Heywood was going over a few old books and saw the Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas and he, not being a greatly educated man, thought it was pronounced dumba@@.

JediDan
06-20-2002, 04:30 PM
Yes, I remember that scene. LOL :D

scruffziller
06-22-2002, 02:22 AM
How about the Heinieiken Keg can commercials, I have the one on tape where the wedding car is dragging them behind on it and about kills a guy on the corner and takes out a bunch of trash cans. I really like the old Little Ceaser's Pizza commercials too, those were the best.

MisterPL
06-22-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
PL, I heard that all the animation for Spirit was drawn, not CGI, is that false?

The characters seem to be hand drawn for the most part, but many of the environments, particularly the chases through the canyons, are CG rendered. They look traditionally painted, similar to the way Disney's Tarzan was handled, but the characters are definitely moving through 3-D CG environments.

And no, the animals do not talk. They do plenty of emoting though. It is kind of odd, having been force-fed talking cartoon animals all my life, I WANTED them to talk. But I didn't feel they NEEDED to. The animators and narrator did a fine job. Very un-Disney.

LTBasker
06-22-2002, 01:22 PM
Hmm, I saw a commercial for Minority Report that compared it to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

SWAFMAN
06-22-2002, 01:41 PM
is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Tom Cruise does not have the screen presence to match an actor like Harrison Ford?

I've never seen the popularity of Cruise. To me, he just comes off as a sorta whiney little brat. Like the Jeff Gordon of acting.

QLD
06-22-2002, 01:47 PM
I like Cruise when the script is good. When it isn't, I don't. I am going to go see Minority Report tonight. Most of the critics are LOVING it. Including Ebert and Roper. It's not really supposed to be an action movie like the trailors imply, more of a make you think type movie.

scruffziller
06-29-2002, 01:21 PM
I heard a real ridiculous one today, it was for a used car lot. CAR WARS:ATTACK OF THE LOANS!!!!!!