PDA

View Full Version : Are these Asian DVD's actually "Official"?



JangoFart
06-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Check out this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1540948049

Are these DVD's actually Official Lucasfilm products? If so, why the hell don't we have them in the US? I've checked out a ton of these auctions and some have close up pics of the back of the DVD cases which show all the Fox and Lucasfilm indicia. Of course, it would be a hell of a lot easier to fake that info than it would be to fake the DVD's themselves.

I thought Lucas' official word was no Original Trilogy DVD's until after EP3? This alone makes me think they are not real. But, they sure look it.

J

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 04:02 PM
They are bootlegs, which is easy to do over there.

Sir FanBoy
06-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Definitely they are bootlegs remember anything from Asia that hasnt been out here in North America first, pertaining to North American films they are most certainly bootleged.

I would know cause i have a friend who can get basically any new movie or soon to be in theatres on dvd for like 2 bucks each.

I dont buy em but i could. I rather have the authentic official release of any movie on dvd that i really like.

Dooku Fett
06-03-2002, 04:23 PM
It says they're real DVDs and are factory sealed....

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 04:28 PM
The DVD's are sealed at the Pirated Movie's Inc. factory. Yup, factory sealed as it states.

I think someone posted here somewhere that they are ripped from the orginal LaserDisc versions. Can anyone else confirm this?

I wouldn't mind having a DVD version of those LD. Of course I wouldn't pay eBay prices when you can order then straight from the Pirates themselves:

http://www.newdvd.cc/dvd/dvdsc_032.htm


Anyone already own these or seen them to give us a review of the quality, etc. I'm really tempted to get these. <$40 for all 3?!?!?! Awesome!

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 04:41 PM
I own a similar set, purchased from the company you're talking about, Exhaust. Though my set was the original trilogy (non-special editions). I think I'm the one you were referring to, who said they are laserdisc rips - I don't know for sure about that SE set but I would assume it consists of LD rips as well. The quality is pretty good - the menus are sort of lame (they're very obviously done by an amateur, but they work, and that's the important thing) and there a few misspellings here and there (Ben Burtt is listed as "Ben Butt"), but overall they're not bad. I'd pick them up if you have a chance, they can be gotten rather cheaply and owning the trilogy in digital format is great. Or you can wait til 2007 or whenever GL decides to release official DVDs....

Remember I'm talking about the original trilogy set, not this SE set. Though there's no degradation when putting the LD rips onto DVD, so whatever the quality of the LD was, that's what you'll get on DVD. That SE set is probably pretty good too.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 05:01 PM
Great, thanks Forhekset. The original version would be ideal but just having any version would be nice right now. I'm going to have to stew about this a bit longer before I decide.

Heh heh heh....you said Butt :)

SuperBattleDroid88
06-03-2002, 05:16 PM
:eek: !!!!!BOOTLEG!!!!! :eek:

pthfnder89
06-03-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Dooku Fett
It says they're real DVDs and are factory sealed....

Actually it says they are "they Are Brand new **Factoey** sealed "

:)

Probably not the most reliable source to get them from...;)

Billiam86
06-03-2002, 05:57 PM
I just bought these the other day off ebay. I have screenshots if you wanna see them.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-03-2002, 06:01 PM
That's a bootleg. Why would the DVD on the far left hav a SW commemorative poster and say Return of the Jedi? Look closer and that's an ESB Luke in the pic.

jedi_uk73
06-03-2002, 06:35 PM
Any Star Wars film (except E1 TPM) produced on DVD or VCD at the moment is a complete FAKE.

The original Trilogy will only be released on DVD after 2005, so anything bought before that will be an inferior bootleg copy, and generally very bad quality.

There are DVD's of the original SE Trilogy, like those in the Ebay link, but they have been ripped from a laserdisc or VHS video.

Nothing apart from E1 TPM has been released by Lucasfilm, and anyone caught selling them can get into deep trouble.

My advise is DON'T TOUCH THEM. Wait for authentic Lucasfilm publications.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Billiam86, are the movies what you expected? Basically, is the picture and sound good? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being DVD quality, how would you rate the trilogy? Thanks.

Billiam86
06-03-2002, 07:03 PM
I would give them about an 8 or a 9 in picture and sound. I was pleasantly surprised. Dude...screw lucasfilm and making me wait! It's perfect for satisfying your craving. By the way, I'm reffering to the 5 STAR EDITION on ebay.

CooLJoE
06-03-2002, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Though there's no degradation when putting the LD rips onto DVD, so whatever the quality of the LD was, that's what you'll get on DVD.

Not completely true. A friend of mine makes DVDs for a train club on his Mac (Dual G4 with DVD-RW burner). We talked about this since Lucas decided that the originals will never see the shiny side of a DVD. He told me how the compression part works and how none of the retail DVD burners can do dual-layer. And with that you only get 4.7gb to work with. Tight squeeze for the 2 hour StarWars movies to fit on and have good compression/quality. When compressed to the largest it can fit on a DVD-R (in other words going for the most quality you can without needing 2 discs or both sides of the disc), the quality turns out ok. Looks fine on a TV, but played on a computer, forget the quality. TV's just have that nice ability of anti-aliasing the picture by default so it removes the jaggies. Where as a computer shows the jaggies (pixelated edges).

So its not necessarily true that what it looks like on LD is what it looks like on the DVD. If you get some good compression software and have a burner (and discs) that can burn dual-layer, then sure you'll get some damn good quality out of them.

Personally, I like the idea of those DVDs mentioned earlier (I may even get a set myself so long as its not SE).

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CooLJoE


Not completely true. A friend of mine makes DVDs for a train club on his Mac (Dual G4 with DVD-RW burner). We talked about this since Lucas decided that the originals will never see the shiny side of a DVD. He told me how the compression part works and how none of the retail DVD burners can do dual-layer. And with that you only get 4.7gb to work with. Tight squeeze for the 2 hour StarWars movies to fit on and have good compression/quality. When compressed to the largest it can fit on a DVD-R (in other words going for the most quality you can without needing 2 discs or both sides of the disc), the quality turns out ok. Looks fine on a TV, but played on a computer, forget the quality. TV's just have that nice ability of anti-aliasing the picture by default so it removes the jaggies. Where as a computer shows the jaggies (pixelated edges).

So its not necessarily true that what it looks like on LD is what it looks like on the DVD. If you get some good compression software and have a burner (and discs) that can burn dual-layer, then sure you'll get some damn good quality out of them.

Personally, I like the idea of those DVDs mentioned earlier (I may even get a set myself so long as its not SE).

Well actually it isn't true at all; I just phrased it that way since most people here don't know as much about video and compression and I didn't want to "talk above" anyone. Basically yeah the LD rips are compressed to MPEG2 for the DVDs. However, there's very little loss of quality from what I can tell - some, to be sure, because the quality is far from "DVD perfect", but it is quite a bit better than the VHS copies. I disagree with you about watching them on a computer - although I know what you mean about stuff looking better on a TV, and worse on a monitor, the DVD set I have by no means looks bad on computer.

It's sort of like MP3s being exactly like a CD - a 256kbps MP3 is NOT the same as CD quality, but to most people, the difference is indiscernable. Same thing with the DVD set I have, and the same is probably true for this SE set. The main thing is having the movies in a digital format.

Dooku Fett
06-03-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89


Actually it says they are "they Are Brand new **Factoey** sealed "

:)

Probably not the most reliable source to get them from...;)

Oh sorry. I thought it was made in a factory not a factoey. Stupid me :o

:D

Jason B
06-03-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
It's sort of like MP3s being exactly like a CD - a 256kbps MP3 is NOT the same as CD quality, but to most people, the difference is indiscernable.

is it possilbe to rip an Mp3 at higher than CD quality? i swear i did it with some of my CD's. maybe i'm mistaken though.

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Jason B


is it possilbe to rip an Mp3 at higher than CD quality? i swear i did it with some of my CD's. maybe i'm mistaken though.

No. You're always going to lose SOME quality regardless of how high a bitrate you use when you burn your MP3s, because a MP3 compresses the data. Like I said, anything equal to or greater than 256kbps is nearly indistinguishable from a CD to most people, but it is definitely less than CD quality. Heck, most people probably couldn't tell that a 128kbps MP3 isn't a CD, nowadays. I remember back when 128kbps MP3s sounded reaaallllyyyy bad.

Anyway, that's all offtopic. To sum my points up on the DVDs, if you're thinking about getting either of those sets because you don't want to wait 5 years for Lucas to put them out, I would recommend that you do it. It's a cheap investment.

Jason B
06-03-2002, 10:33 PM
hey, maybe it's because i was using the analog cable to listen to CD's, and with the Mp3's, it was all digital. this was before i discovered the beauty of "enable digital audio on this device." :D now i can listen to my CD's in either my DVD or Burner. :)

Forhekset
06-03-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Jason B
hey, maybe it's because i was using the analog cable to listen to CD's, and with the Mp3's, it was all digital. this was before i discovered the beauty of "enable digital audio on this device." :D now i can listen to my CD's in either my DVD or Burner. :)

Well and of course it's possible to rip audio from a CD at CD quality; an uncompressed .WAV will be CD quality. I just said "no" about higher than CD quality. :)

Did you know that the AOTC soundtrack (at least some versions released in the UK) has copy protection? A buddy of mine tried to listen to it on his PC and was unpleasantly surprised when it didn't work. So, he had to rip the CD, then burn himself a new copy, just to be able to listen to the music he PAID for in the manner of his choosing. Stupid eh?

Senator Binks
06-04-2002, 12:13 AM
Any Star Wars film (except E1 TPM) produced on DVD or VCD at the moment is a complete FAKE.

This isn't *entirely* true -- there is a legitimate box set of the Trilogy available in Asia on VCD. I didn't pick it up since I have the LDs and it is in Pan and Scan.

RAVAZ
06-04-2002, 01:00 AM
I had a copy of the trilogy that I got on ebay. It was great. The picture was great and the audio was great. Its a quick fix for anyone who wants to have the dvds. I gave mine away as a Xmas gift. I plan on getting another set someday.

CooLJoE
06-04-2002, 04:46 AM
Actually 128kbps is considered CD quality for MP3s. If not, then my 128kbps MP3s are exceeding their quality some how. I decode my 128kbps MP3s back onto CDs in AudioCD form and listen to them in my car all the time (8 speaker monsoon system) and they don't sound much if at all off from a real CD. Really its all in who did the encoding and what process they used. And trust me, I'm picky with audio and video.

Forkekset - Only thing I can think of as to why yours look fine on a computer, are that you aren't as picky about it as I am, or the discs you got are done in dual-layer (which allows alot better compression. dual layer = 9.4gb while single layer = 4.7gb).

Forhekset
06-04-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by CooLJoE
Actually 128kbps is considered CD quality for MP3s. If not, then my 128kbps MP3s are exceeding their quality some how. I decode my 128kbps MP3s back onto CDs in AudioCD form and listen to them in my car all the time (8 speaker monsoon system) and they don't sound much if at all off from a real CD. Really its all in who did the encoding and what process they used. And trust me, I'm picky with audio and video.

Forkekset - Only thing I can think of as to why yours look fine on a computer, are that you aren't as picky about it as I am, or the discs you got are done in dual-layer (which allows alot better compression. dual layer = 9.4gb while single layer = 4.7gb).

They don't look fine on a monitor as in "exactly like what you see on a TV", but they don't look so bad that I would say you have to "forget the quality". :)

I respectfully disagree with you, sir, on 128kbps being considered CD quality. Nothing can truly be CD quality if the data is being compressed...that's just logical. The only thing that's CD quality is an uncompressed .WAV ripped off your CD. In my experience (and I've been messing with MP3s for a long time) the closest thing to CD quality (that pleases both the average listener, and musicians and other discriminating listeners) right now is 256kbps. Heck, a lot of really particular audiophiles won't accept anything less than 320kbps. Now, that's not to say that 128 isn't ok, and a lot of people probably think it sounds great, but it is not CD quality by any means. I've tried a ton of different applications and methods for encoding MP3s in trying to find the best ways to go about it, and there is a very noticeable difference between 128 and 256.

I'm picky about this sort of stuff too, I work as a graphic designer, and in my spare time as a musician. :)

pthfnder89
06-04-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Anyway, that's all offtopic. To sum my points up on the DVDs, if you're thinking about getting either of those sets because you don't want to wait 5 years for Lucas to put them out, I would recommend that you do it. It's a cheap investment.

I've been considering it for a while now. I have a big letterbox copy of the OT (it was released right before the THX versions) and the letterbox SEs. But I don't want to wear those out or anything.

Also it's just sooo much easier to deal with CDs/DVDs than it is with tapes; no rewinding, less bulk.:) I was really looking at some VCDs but I haven't done much research on them. Some people HATE VCDs quality but I haven't seen too many of them so I don't know what the quality is really like. I can be forgiving if it doesn't look absolutely horrible.

But with the DVDs available I'll probably try them instead.:)

RAVAZ
06-04-2002, 02:14 PM
Go for it pthfnder89. I was pleased with the quality of the 'bootleg' DVDs of the trilogy. It'll hold you til the 'official' dvds are released and you can conserve your video tape collection.

As far as VCDs go, I've never seen one. But I am trading for a copy of AOTC on VCD. I'll let you all know how it is.

pthfnder89
06-04-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by RAVAZ
Go for it pthfnder89. I was pleased with the quality of the 'bootleg' DVDs of the trilogy. It'll hold you til the 'official' dvds are released and you can conserve your video tape collection.


Thanks RAVAZ. I think I'll go ahead and try them out once I get the money.:)

Jason B
06-04-2002, 05:26 PM
yeah, i ripped the Mp3's at 256 k/sec. the only Mp3's i'll download are 128's. any lower, and i cant listen to them. any higher, and they take too long to get. :-/

kingkirk04
06-04-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset




Did you know that the AOTC soundtrack (at least some versions released in the UK) has copy protection? A buddy of mine tried to listen to it on his PC and was unpleasantly surprised when it didn't work. So, he had to rip the CD, then burn himself a new copy, just to be able to listen to the music he PAID for in the manner of his choosing. Stupid eh?



There are ways to get around the CD protection. Fairly simple, actually. You simply have to take a marker and color around the edges of the disc. Thats how it used to be done, Sony may be putting the encryption band in the middle now, so its harder to pinpoint where to color the cd in at. Dont believe me? Look here.

http://www.techtv.com/news/security/story/0,24195,3385847,00.html

mark2d2
06-04-2002, 10:32 PM
I have the "official" VCD version that someone else was talking about. The quality is so-so. Tragically Pan n Scan over Letter Boxing --- and the picture does occasionally get a trifle computer pixel looking at times . . . The sound, however, is Excellent. The fact that each film is on two disks is a wee bit annoying . . . but whatever.

With a Dead VCR and no hope for DVD anytime soon --- they are good enough for me. I bought mine off Ebay for Thirty Dollars. That was for all three, so at Ten bucks a pop, they've definitely been worth it.

And these definitely are officially licensed. Aside from the packaging which is dead on like the last SE rerelease --- each film has a bizarre Promo for Fox Studios Australia --- which is a lot like our Universal Studios in LA, I guess. And the making of Episode II Featurette is on the first ANH disc. And they have these groovy copyright warnings saying they MUST NOT be viewed outside of Malaysia . . .

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by kingkirk04




There are ways to get around the CD protection. Fairly simple, actually. You simply have to take a marker and color around the edges of the disc. Thats how it used to be done, Sony may be putting the encryption band in the middle now, so its harder to pinpoint where to color the cd in at. Dont believe me? Look here.

http://www.techtv.com/news/security/story/0,24195,3385847,00.html

Ah, I think I read something about that one time. I had also read something about putting a Post-it Note on the CD, or something like that too...I haven't purchased an audio CD with copy protection yet so I haven't had to bother with figuring out ways around it.