PDA

View Full Version : Are you a variationist?

aikman
06-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Ive always heard of them but never met one.

Do they really exist or is it a fairy tale?
Ive heard that some people buy multiples of figures with any slight variations that they are released, on card, fig, accesory.

Are there any of you out there?

Im curious to hear what you collections consist of.
What makes a woprthwhile variation to you?
Obviously backgrounds are big (although im not sure why peopole would want them because they are crappy).

Rogue II
06-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Good question, I never saw the point in it. I'd like to hear why people do it too.

QLD
06-03-2002, 05:02 PM
No, I never saw the point in it. But then again I still don't get keeping them in the package either.

But I imagine that with sooooooooo many errors in the saga line now, there are going to be a lot less variation collectors.

Orn Free Taa
06-03-2002, 05:19 PM
I'll do it typically when I can find variants in the stores. I won't pay inflated prices for them on E-bay unless they're major (like the bloody Luke). I collected all of the background variants (the last one I was missing, Dexter, I got through trading), but I did not double-up and get the ones without the backgrounds. Originally, though, I had the majority of them without the backgrounds, but went on a hunting spree and replaced them all with the BG variants. I only try to collect one of each figure for the most part, but sometimes when I run across two on the pegs which are obviously different (AOTC R2-D2 being an example - different legs), I'll grab both until I can determine which of the two will be the most rare and/or collectible. Of the some 300+ odd figures in my collection, I probably have variant doubles of about 10 at most. I still have some non-variant doubles (Flashback, EP1, FF) that I'll sell or trade really soon, though, after I get done cataloging everything.

figrin bran
06-03-2002, 05:59 PM
i'm not one myself though i have met some before. probably the only variation that i have that i did not open were the imperial and death star slide r2's.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-03-2002, 06:03 PM
Some people are just a little too obsessed with figures.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2002, 06:05 PM
I really hate all the variations that SSG keeps reporting. It's getting to be ridiculous, especially with all the weird packaging and paint issues.

I think some of the variations are interesting and thus I'll collect them, like the freeze frames packages and the OOM-9 bubble one. Most others like the flat bubble vs. fat bubble EP1 R2 makes me say ho-hum.

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Packaging variations don't interest me, but actual figure variations do. Paint variations (Bloody Luke) are pretty cool but many of them tend to be simple errors (blue visor Jango). Accessory variations are the least interesting to me (long lightsaber figures, blue/brown backpack Anakin). However, true mold or production variants are what get my interest (vinyl cape Jawa, small/large head Han Solo, blue/red Snaggletooth), which we have seen little of in the modern line. Unless you count the replacement of magnets with plastic pegs in Bespin Luke.

Overall though I just buy whichever version of the figure I like best or is more reasonably priced. Bloody Luke seems cooler than Plastic Peg Luke; but not cool enough to pay ten times retail for. Thus I will probably end up with the Plastic Peg Luke.

jedi_uk73
06-03-2002, 06:58 PM
Packaging variations or anything with paint errors or missing bits don't interest me.

The only ones I do have are the POTF2 long sabres and a SAGA Dexter w/background & pipe text. I only got that one as I wanted the figure. It was by shere chance it was the rarer one.

As long as I can get 1 of each figure I'm happy.

Pschtyckque
06-03-2002, 07:20 PM
Well, I was a bit over-anxious when POTF2 first came out. I bought all the packaging and figure variations I could find. I've sold most of the rare ones off (Transistion Tray Luke, 1-circled Boba Fett), and given away many others. I still have 9 different versions of the carded Jedi Luke. But mostly, I'm stuck with multiples of 2-1B droids with/without holo stickers...

Hellboy
06-03-2002, 07:58 PM
I think the big interest in variations are going to be a thing of the past due to the amount in the current Saga line. I personally will get a variant only if I think its something cool such as Bloody Luke, but most of the time I won't buy an extra unless I want to have a favorite figure open as well as carded. I think paint errors are only worth collecting if it's a design change such as Blue/Red Snaggletooth and Bloody Luke. I will always try and buy the more rare figure if possible , such as getting #'s 1-16 of the Saga fig.s with backgrounds.

bigbarada
06-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Hellboy
I think paint errors are only worth collecting if it's a design change such as Blue/Red Snaggletooth and Bloody Luke.

Not sure if you knew this or not but the blue/red Snaggletooth was more than just a paint variation. It was an entirely new set of legs:

Turbowars
06-03-2002, 09:10 PM
I'm one of the crazy errors and Variation collectors. In fact I posted a thread in the Collectors Club forum V.E.C.C for variation and error collectors club. I have close to 800 figures from 95 to present and I have muliples of the same figure with errors and variations. I'm not the only one. I have a friend JWjunk that posts here and he has about 10 times of what I have. I have seen it and it is heaven. I would like the say one thing. Don't bash what you don't understand. I know a lot of you open your figures and I'm not to hot on doing that.

Rogue II
06-03-2002, 09:43 PM
I don't understand it so I won't bash it. After all they are your figures and you buy them with your money. I take it that you display your 800+ figures on a wall? That sounds rather impressive.

--By the way, thanks for doing your part on clearing out those peg-warmers:D

Turbowars
06-03-2002, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Rogue II
I don't understand it so I won't bash it. After all they are your figures and you buy them with your money. I take it that you display your 800+ figures on a wall? That sounds rather impressive.

--By the way, thanks for doing your part on clearing out those peg-warmers:D Ok, I will try to explain why I collect errors and variations. What happens when Hasbro doesn't release any new figures for a few months? You try to catch up on the figures you missed. Well what happens when you find everything that has been released? I find errors and variations. I feel that collecting variations completes my collection, so I keep searching for those rare variants like Long tray short saber Ben from POTF2 orange card and col#1 leia Boushh from SOTE. Errors on the other hand are very interesting to me. I love when a figure is placed on a wrong card back, like a bespin Han on a Endor Rebel soldior card back. How about figures that are missing guns and helmets and paint errors anyways the list goes on and on. Look in your collection and see if you have some errors or variations, who knows you just might have one I need Oh and no problem for clearing the pegs of warmers and my wife wont let me display them because we only live in a2 bed room home and she says she needs aguest room. I say tell the guests to stay in a motel LOL. That didn't work, so I have them #ed fileed in boxes in the garage.

sith_killer_99
06-03-2002, 10:34 PM
BigB, great comparison picture! I actually thought these were 2 completly different sculpts. Mostly due to the paint.

Turbowars, I was wondering when you would post. WOW, 800+ figs! I'm only up to around 400 or so (1995-Now). And I am still missing several of the OC figures.

I am not a BIG error/variation collector. However I do collect Non-US carded figures.

I also like some of the MAIN variations, and every now and then I run into something ODD that gets my attention. ;)

Turbowars
06-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
BigB, great comparison picture! I actually thought these were 2 completly different sculpts. Mostly due to the paint.

Turbowars, I was wondering when you would post. WOW, 800+ figs! I'm only up to around 400 or so (1995-Now). And I am still missing several of the OC figures.

I am not a BIG error/variation collector. However I do collect Non-US carded figures.

I also like some of the MAIN variations, and every now and then I run into something ODD that gets my attention. ;) Well it not really 800. I did a new count this weekend and I have 786 carded figures and with the AOTC variations it is bond to grow. To tell you guys the truth AOTC errors and variations aren't that interesting to me, but I said that about EP! and I'll still get some here and there. It seems that collecting has turned it to some kind of drug for me. At least it doesn't hurt me or anyone else. Oh the LPC's (Long Photo Card) from Germany are really cool, the THX insert from Japan and Europe and lets not forget the uncut card/square cards from Canada. Man I love this stuff!

sith_killer_99
06-03-2002, 11:48 PM
Ah, yes those square cards are pretty cool.

I never really got into the EP1 variations, I did get 1 of each Maul one US, Canadian, and European cards, as well as the Battle Droids.

I also got the Mauls and Battle Droids with bonus Battle Droids/Pit Droids (all 3).

That's really about it. The Saga stuff seems to be the same. I did get a set with the inserts, but I found them all at retail, so I figured...why not?

Thunderbird
06-04-2002, 12:55 AM
I'm one of those variation hunters. I've been collecting loose vintage figures (variations included) sence '92 plus all the new stuff from '95 on. I've lost count of my carded collection plus I also open everything (figure varitations included). The way I look at it you never know what figure will increase in value (nor do I care), but it's kinda fun being able to have the figure that everybody says is worth so much. I don't collect errors, but if I find them I'll buy 'em. I found a Boba Fett back in '96 missing a circle on one hand and nobody cared. A couple years later people are paying big buck for it. When Toys 'R Us was getting all those cleance firgures I found another one on a green card and this one guy wouldn't stop following me, begging me to sell it to him. Mabye someday I'll be happy with just one of each figure but until then I'll keep looking. :crazed:

OriginalBryGuy
06-04-2002, 02:50 PM
I think variations are cool. Sadly, I usually find out about them way after I've passed up the figure. I'm mainly concerned with can I find the figure. Variations generally cost too much, and are sometimes two plentiful to find and collect. That's for purists to do. I'm serious about my collecting, but not variation serious. If I have one cool, if not, I'm not going to loose sleep over it.