PDA

View Full Version : Wonder if George would have done the same?

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 03:57 PM
I wonder if what George is doing now in the films, like giving Dexter that diner cook look, (too many references to our own culture) if it would be the same if he filmed it at the same time he made the OT. I don't think he would have, he has too much money now. All that money has made him stray from his original vision.

darthvyn
06-03-2002, 04:33 PM
tarzan? no. that's CHEWIE swinging onto the AT-ST...

the cantina band is based on 30's and 40's jazz. i actually read an interview where lucas described to williams he wanted it to sound like benny goodman landed on an alien world and picked up some music.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 04:54 PM
I think GL has put plenty of cultural references/symbology in all the movies, perhaps not a direct as the diner cook.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2002, 04:55 PM
The one pop culturish thing that really bugs me from AOTC is Mace's "This party's over" line. Very lame

On the other hand, the Dex "butt-crack/pulling-up-the-pants" is pretty funny.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 05:08 PM
I liked that line. I could do with out C3P0's quips in the factory and battle.

2-1B
06-04-2002, 01:06 PM
"Party" lines, I caught 2 of them while watching the classic trilogy.

Nothing new . . .

icatch9
06-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Lucas feels that Sci Fi makers sometimes go to far. I mean you just want to go far enough without makeing things so wierd and different that people don't understand what is going on. Who's to say that diner cooks in a galaxy far far away would look any differnt that ours. We've been flooded with Sci Fi shows and movies that try and make everything so different than our own world that it alienates most views. That's why when you say Sci Fi to most people they frown, but when you say Star Wars they get it (to a point at least). That's why millions and millions and millions of people see Star Wars and only a fraction of that go see Star Trek movies.

SWAFMAN
06-04-2002, 04:45 PM
I have wondered how, if it is "a galaxy far, far away" some of the rebel ships are named for letters of our Latin-based alphabet. A-Wing, B-Wing, E-Wing, and X-Wing. When they show writing on signs & stuff, it is usually in other symbols, so why would the ship names refer to OUR alphabet?

look at the picture attached below, and then explain how they could ever call a ship a "B-Wing"???? They'd have no standard of reference of what a "B" looks like!

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 06:38 PM
Well, most Aurebesh we see in SW is just English words with alternate letters but English spellings (Anakin's discussion with R2 in the Naboo fighter of Ep 1, for example). And we also see English words in ANH (Power; Tractor Beam), but this could have been to budget restraints or the need to explain OBVIOUSLY what Obi-Wan was doing.

However, the example Swaffy has up is just jibberish, the first 2 lines translate thusly:

k fbne vyth;k fbnelv
isq khmjcdu bkhm

So do I think Lucas would have added Earth touches to these movies if he made them 25 years ago? Yes. Do I think he would have been so heavy-handed about it? No.