PDA

View Full Version : Would you give up your SW collection for love.

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 04:08 PM
I don't know about me, I've never really been in love, it's hard to say.

Dar' Argol
06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
Nah! I just found a woman who loves me for the long haired Star Wars FREAK that I am!! No one else would put up with me!!

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Cool!!!

SWAFMAN
06-03-2002, 04:28 PM
I'd give up my collection for the love of my kids, like if I needed the $$ to pay for them to have an operation, or something. But I'd never give up my collection for the love of a girlfriend/wife in the context of them saying, "you have to decide between the collection or ME!"
Heck, the collection is a part of my identity. If anyone were enough of a jerk to give an ultimatum, then I'd know they weren't interested in me for who I am. They probably are more interested in trying to change me into their idea of who I should be.
Forget that crap.

DahrJin
06-03-2002, 04:35 PM
If it's love, you shouldn't have to give up your SW collection. :D

That's why my wife put's up with my SW addiction, because SW is apart of me and my life. It's all or nothing baby!!!!!!

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 04:39 PM
Now what if the question was give up your SW collection for sex? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 04:42 PM
Well said all you folks.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller
I don't know about me, I've never really been in love, it's hard to say.

Are you talking about selling your collection to pay for *ahem* you know? ;)

JediDan
06-03-2002, 05:43 PM
No way man!!! You can have sex whenever you want (or she wants) but how often can you go to the store and pick up a Chancellor Palpatine figure??? Practically never...... I'll stick with my SW collection. My collection will always be there for me, to help me through the hard times and make the good times 10 times better. Now how many of you can honestly say that about your so called soulmate??? ;) :D :D

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 05:58 PM
I don't know, real women are so much softer than 4" plastic ones. :D

QLD
06-03-2002, 08:40 PM
Yeah, sex with a padme figure just isn't the same as with my girlfriend. I'd give it up in a second, I mean, they are just toys. However, you shouldn't have to, and I don't, so I am not worried about it.

Mike Troxell
06-03-2002, 09:13 PM
The question is, can you really fall in love with somebody who doesn't accept you for who you are?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-03-2002, 10:30 PM
Let me think about

Hmmmm. . . . .

No.

Basically because of all the reasons stated above. A companion should be understanding or at the very least, tolerable of this harmless passion and not so demanding that she would make you give up part of your identity as Swaffy stated. She shouldn't make you choose if she was a true soulmate. If she does, then maybe you've met the wrong person.

Personally, I've spent almost three grand on my collection, a fair amount for someone my age. If a girl gave me that choice, I couldn't just throw 8+ years of collecting out the window. That is over 1/3 of my life and I ain't gonna give that up. (okay if it was Anna Kournikova, maybe I'd reconsider, MAYBE . . . )

Master Goeweins
06-03-2002, 11:49 PM
Absolutley NOT!

if she does not accept you for the collector, then she will never accept you for the fan. that means no watching the movies together more than once. and if you can't enjoy the things you love with the one you love, then where is the happiness.

everyone has hobbies and collections of one kind or another. my girlfriend's parents collect country antiques. why is that any different? they don't think it is and look for me whenever they go to antique shows. anyways, it's all relative. if they can't see that, then they wan't someone other than you. that spells trouble down the road with or without your star wars collection.

SithDroid
06-03-2002, 11:57 PM
The answer is NO.

I gave up collecting for a while when I was dating this girl, due to monetary reasons ex. me spending money on her, and because of that my collection suffered severely. Unfortunately the time I stopped collecting was the entire year of 1998, so I missed out on all the hard to find stuff that year.:cry: It's alright though because I am slowly buying up the stuff I missed even although it is at a much higher price now. Any help would be appreciated. I have a list of stuff I need in the Buying section.

Plus if any women is wanting you to change for her, then it is never meant to be and you shouldn't be with them in the first place. They have to accpet you for who you are and everything that comes with it.

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 01:52 AM
My and me collection are a package deal! I've been in love, and will never give up my beautiful collection just for love, or sex. *hugs his collection* :happy:

SaeseeTiin
06-04-2002, 02:22 AM
That is a very hard question.
I don't think I could guve up my collection for love. Admittedly as I'm almost 17 and so on and never have been properly in love, that could make my answer biased but I don't think it will.
Star Wars collecting is my life. I'm a student with a part-time job and such, but I spend around 99% of all my money I get on SW. I'm always planning ahead, with what is going to be released, what gaps in my collection I need to fill, etc. I buy a large amount from the USA, I think from five or six different people up to this point. So SW is my life.
If someone did give me the ultimatum of SW or her, it is likely it would be SW. Whoever I get together with someone, they should accept my collecting SW 'habit'. You just have to walk into my bedroom to see how long I've been collecting. If they don't I wouldn't see them as right for me.
So I would probably go with SW, thanks for reading this.

STiin

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 05:12 AM
If your collecting habits are becoming destructive to your family life then you might have a problem. For instance, if your wife sends you to the store with the last $20 in the bank account to buy diapers and food for your kids, and you spend it all on SW toys, then I would say it is probably best to give up collecting for the sake of your family.:)

Jargo
06-04-2002, 06:49 AM
I meet a lot of collectors in comic stores and collectible stores who are selling their collection because their girlfriend/fiancee has told them to get rid before they get married. My personal feelings are that when someone takes you on they should take all of you and not just the part they want to see. If someone tells you that your collection is an embarrasment or that it's unseemly for a grown man to collect toys then that person isn't worthy of being with you in the first place. A human being is a complex bundle of traits quirks and characteristics all mixed up into a 'personality' if someone can't accept the whole deal and love you for all of your different sides and aspects then why are they with you? It would seem that they have some ideal that can't be met unless they change the person they are invloved with. If you have to change someone then they aren'y the person for you.
No-one should have to give up anything they love for someone else. A hobby is something that allows freedom of the mind, an escape route from the insanity of the world. Unless it's detrimental to others like being a member of a neo nazi group or something then why should anyone stop doing what they do? Any women or man who wants you to get rid of your collection should be told where to get off the bus and dumped straight away. But like BB just said, if the hobby becomes an obsession and you use the rent money or the food money to buy toys instead of looking after the family then that's time to call quits and seek help :) You're in too deep and need to cool off.
My hobby is a big part of me, my collection is my pride and joy but I don't let it control me. And nor does it define who I am. If money is starting to get a little thin on the groundin my house I pull back from the collecting and use my cash for whatever it's needed for. My partner and I have an understanding that benefits both of us. Sometimes if I'm overspent on my collecting budget my partner will pick up an odd item that I don't already have for me as a gift. If I don't have any particular wants then I'll spend my cash on things for the house that make living a little more comfortable for us both.
I also discovered that my internet use during the day had increased so the phone bill had rocketed sky high so I upped the amount of cash I feed into the house bank account to cover the increase. This cuts into the money I would normally spend on toys but it's only right I pay my dues. I wouldn't let debts pile up because of some selfish greedy wants. As it happens, I'm wy behind on the collecting now but I'm not going into a big panic because I don't have the latest thing. I'll bide my time and pick things up as and when I can afford them. There's no great hurry and I don't actually need any of the stuff like I need food and heat and a phoneline and electricity and gas (cooking kind not car). Pay the bills and but the groceries first and anything else is extra.
But no, I wouldn't give up my collection if my partner said I had to, but i would reach a compromise and come to an agreement about my collecting habit. I wouldn't ever ask my partner to give up a hobby and I don't expect to be treated that way either. A relationship is give and take, fifty fifty, anything else is a dictatorship. :D

TeeEye7
06-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Yeah.....what Jargo said.

Eternal Padawan
06-04-2002, 09:13 AM
The answer is NO.

Anyone who comes along should accept you for who you are, giant Star Wars collection and all.

r2dee2
06-04-2002, 09:27 AM
As has been stated previously...and very well I might add.... if you are in a relationship where you are asked to choose between your collection and them, then you are in the wrong relationship. If you overspend the money needed to take care of your family, then you do need to alter your priorities.

SW collecting and the movies are a BIG part of my life, but this all took place AFTER my marriage, since I got married before SW ANH was released...in fact I celebrate 33 years of marriage today. My husband has raised an eyebrow at times, when my collection has "piled" up in the library, but I usually organize before his tolerance level is exceeded. I have asked him a number of times if he wants me to stop collecting SW and he has been great in saying "No, I know it gives you great pleasure." However, if the need would ever arise and I would have to make a choice, or we were in financial straights, I would gladly give up my collection for my husband. I enjoy the toys, but the movies are what it's about and my husband is even MORE important than SW.

LTBasker
06-04-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by r2dee2
I enjoy the toys, but the movies are what it's about and my husband is even MORE important than SW.

That makes sense, it is different than just meeting someone and them saying they'd only stay with you if you gave it up.

In order to get married when you already have a collection, you'd have to find someone who accepts or will at least tolerate it on a good level and doesn't make you have to choose.

Happy Anniversary, R2. :cool:

2-1B
06-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Congrats r2dee2 ! :)

Jonna
06-04-2002, 12:56 PM
If a person does not accept you for who you are and what you do, then why be with someone who does not really like who you are anyway!?!

InsaneJediGirl
06-04-2002, 01:37 PM
First off,Happy Anniversary r2dee2:)

My answer is a big NO.If I get a boyfriend,I expect him to accept me and my collection,or if he doesnt like it,move on.To have someone try to change you is wrong,why would they spend all their time dating you,just to change your habits when married?

However,if it came down to getting food for the family,or buying that new action figure,I would put collecting on hold for a bit.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2002, 02:01 PM
You can extend this topic to any hobby or passion; cars, sports, fishing, even work. No one should have to change for a relationship.

However, one also has to be compromising. You can't just say either this or this. Especially when you get married. Sometimes you have to do stuff you don't really want to, but you do it because you love your sig. other.

The flip side is obsession. If a past time takes up all of your attention, then maybe listening to your better half is just what you need.

scruffziller
06-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Thanx all you guys, all the advice that I have read tonight has helped me immensly in alot of areas. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!:cry:

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 01:07 AM
You me love in a non-sexual way right? :D

SWAFMAN
06-05-2002, 11:06 AM
Happy Anniversary, r2dee2!! Does that make your husband MR2 ??? :)

33 years! Fantastic.

I didn't even make it 1/3 that long.

Obi-Don
06-06-2002, 08:41 AM
Give up my collection for sex. Yeah sure,like all call you and yes I will repect you in the morning. After she is gone it comes back out and back up on the book cases.

Thank the Lord my wife loves me inspite on my Star Wars addiction.