PDA

View Full Version : Amish Folk.

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 04:10 PM
I live in an area where there are alot of them. I've seen them eating at a buffet, having their buggies with electrical lights on them, and seeing them buy batteries.

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 04:37 PM
They can actually use some battery powered things. I've heard of kids having Gameboys and stuff. They can also use electricity for a business or some other uses as long as they get permission from the communities elders. This way farmers can have a frig to store meat for the market or they can operate a resturant that would require electric lights, freezers, etc.

Also they can be confused with Menonites which have a similar lifestyle but they can use electricity and drive. They usually have pastel colored shirts vs. the white or blue of the Amish. I like to think of the Menonites a the Hip-Amish.

My one Amish factoid: The usually only have one phone and it's most likely found in the town center (if they're not near a non-Amish town). I've been told that they use to be allowed phones in the house or at least on their property. It seems that there was an increase in "gossip" after their introduction. The Amish community then banned the phones in an attempt to kill the practice of gossiping.

What would all my girlfriends and I do? :)

Nothing beats an Amish dinner! Eat until you puke.

scruffziller
06-03-2002, 04:46 PM
That might be what are living near me the Menonites, its just wierd to see that from what you have been told previously of their society.

master jedi
06-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Some Amish communities aren't as strict as others.

Once I was walking out of a McDonald's in Missouri and a heck of a lot of Amish people jumped out of a van. It was both very supriseing and funny.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-03-2002, 04:51 PM
Some of my favorite Amish quotes:

" 'Tis no pool, English"

"Haven't you ever seen a teat before?
Not one this big."

Exhaust Port
06-03-2002, 05:02 PM
A lot of Amish use van type transportation but they contract it out to non-Amish who do the driving. I saw a couple of Amish at the airport a few weeks ago.

The funniest Amish thing I saw was a couple of summers ago. I was in Amish country and suddenly heard some thumping stereo in the distance. As is slowly approached I anticipated seeing some tricked out car with tinted windows coming over the hill. To my suprise it was an Amish teenager in a buggy. He had hung some speakers off the front corners and placed a car battery on a shelf mounted to the back of the buggy frame for power. Sweet ride, he must get all the chicks!!

LTBasker
06-03-2002, 05:22 PM
I once saw some amish with a brand spankin' new digital camera at the Zoo, 'course it's Oklahoma, and no doubt they used more advanced stuff just to get here, considering it's pretty non-amish.

wedgeA
06-03-2002, 06:05 PM
My Amish experience,

I went to grad school at the University of Iowa and when I first arrived there, my parents came along with me to check it out. One day, they decided to go to the Amish country (Washington, IA??) and we actually took a guided of tour of the place. They would actually drive in front of the houses and you could see people working in their yards, etc.

I have pretty much lived my whole life in a tourist destination, but I still thought that this tour was pretty uncomfortable for me. I did not like the idea of turning people's everyday lives into a tourist attraction.

Lord Malakite
06-03-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by master jedi
Some Amish communities aren't as strict as others.

Once I was walking out of a McDonald's in Missouri and a heck of a lot of Amish people jumped out of a van. It was both very supriseing and funny.

Thats funny, I've had the same exact same thing happen to me here in Ohio. The only difference, they stopped to read the newspaper in the machine at the front of the store, then they went in without paying for it. :D

Fulit
06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Watch "Devil's Playground" if it's ever on and you have Cinemax. It's a documentary about some Amish kids and how screwed up they are and stuff, and how at 16 they're allowed to leave and go be like the rest of us and do the things we do. They have the choice then to come back and join the church or whatever. There's this one Amish kid that turns into a speed freak or somthing, it's kind of interesting, I guess.

Exhaust Port
06-04-2002, 08:30 AM
The New York Times magazine (or was it the newspaper) just did an article on the Amish and this year 16 experience which is pretty interesting. It's something like 90-95% that return. If you don't returned you're shunned by the whole community including your family. Weird stuff.

Years ago as bus driver I took a group of univeristy students from Hiroshima, JP on a tour of Amish country in central/southern OH. Here was a group of people that thought daily American life was different. Next thing they saw was a community of people who primarily speak German and live the same as they did when they came to this country 300+ years ago. There were 50 perplexed faces on my bus as we left that day.

I did this tour for them on August 6th (check your history books). It was interesting to pick their group leader's brain about their city's rememberance of that historic day. Basically they don't ever talk about it and don't know much about it. I guess this falls under the "ignore it and it'll go away" method. Strange.