PDA

View Full Version : Which Star Wars Movie Has The Best Music?

Lman316
06-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Which of the 5 so far has the best soundtrack?

I like stuff from them all. I love the Imperial March from ESB, I love the end music for ROTJ SE, Duel of the Fates + the Droid Invasion of TPM, and there are a whole bunch of tracks for AOTC.
I'm giving my vote to the AOTC soundtrack though - I can listen to that one straight through without having to skip around.

What does everyone else think?

End :happy:.

SaeseeTiin
06-04-2002, 03:25 AM
At the moment I have to say AOTC. I found the TPM very plain in places, and admitedly I've never heard the other soundtracks in full properly. But with AOTC it has a bit of everything, from the superb Imperial March bit when Obi sees all the clones and at the end, to the Duel of the Fates when Anakin rides the speeder on Tatooine. Very good IMO.

STiin

DarthBrandon
06-04-2002, 03:27 AM
ATOC and ESB have the best soundtracks, love them both.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 05:47 AM
Well AOTC has a disadvantage here since it hasn't had a two-disc "complete" release yet. So until that one comes out then I will have to stick with ESB as the most exciting and varied of the soundtracks.

Although the AOTC love theme is one of my favorite pieces of Star Wars music.

I also really liked the quirky street singers and street band songs from the Ep1 Ultimate soundtrack. Especially "Desert Winds." The "Anakin is Free" track is another great one from that soundtrack.

Add to that the SE Celebration music from ROTJ and the second Catina song from ANH and you have a decent (but not all-inclusive) summary of my favorite SW music.

Exhaust Port
06-04-2002, 09:14 AM
ESB with it's "The Asteroid Field" is my absolute favorite. It's perhaps one of the shorter tracks but it makes that disc my number one choice.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2002, 03:11 PM
ESB straight up, followed closely by ANH. We got Yoda's theme for the first time, Imp. March. 1st, Han & Leia's theme, Asteroid Field, the cues when Han gets deep sixed, and some other great cuts.

All the other movies, except for ANH, depend on these for many of their scenes and cues. Thus it has to go to ESB.

AOTC has like one or two original pieces it seems. About 50% of the movie is TPM soundtrack and cues from other episodes. This one is the weakest as a stand-alone soundtrack out of all five, but it's still good.

Jonna
06-04-2002, 03:18 PM
I have all of the soundtracks and I would have to say Empire.

El Chuxter
06-04-2002, 03:41 PM
My opinion on this changes rather regularly, but here's the current rankings:

ESB
AOTC
ROTJ:SE
TPM
ANH

I like ANH, but there weren't a whole lot of actual themes at that point--Luke's (main title), Leia's, Ben's (Force theme), Death Star's, Tusken Raiders', and Jawas' are the only ones that jump to mind. So we get some really interesting renditions of the themes (especially the Force theme), but they're the same themes over and over.

AOTC only misses first because of the odd, unexplained repetition of the Duel of the Fates theme and Trade Federation/Battledroid themes at places they don't seem to fit. Other than that, top notch.

My rankings on SW albums is as follows:
AOTC
ESB:SE
ROTJ:SE
TPM
ANH:SE
4-disc box set (unfortunately long out of print)
TPM Ultimate Edition
SOTE (Good, but not Star Warsish enough)

Forhekset
06-04-2002, 05:00 PM
The most memorable music, ESB, almost based entirely on the strength of the Imperial March and its incorporation throughout the score.

As far as the "best" music in terms of technicality and originality, ANH.

Forhekset
06-04-2002, 05:03 PM
Also, for those of you passing judgement on the AOTC score, keep in mind the only thing available right now is a shortened, badly chopped-up version. The original release of the TPM score was horrible and nearly made me dislike the whole thing, until I heard the "Ultimate Edition" and my opinion of the score improved quite a bit. The next release of AOTC should be the full score and will most likely be a heck of a lot better than what's out there right now.

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 06:56 PM
I really love the ESB sountrack, so as a movie (I'm judging this on film content, not disc content), it's got the "best music" as this thread's title asks. ANH follows ridiculously closely for me, and in some ways, its music has more impact, but there's less variety. ANH is my choice for "best soundtrack album", but that's not the same thing.

I really dislike Ep 1 and Ep 2's soundtracks though, I can no longer describe why for the former, but the latter feels so "drama-esque" rather than fantasty-driven and not terribly inspired.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset
Also, for those of you passing judgement on the AOTC score, keep in mind the only thing available right now is a shortened, badly chopped-up version. The original release of the TPM score was horrible and nearly made me dislike the whole thing, until I heard the "Ultimate Edition" and my opinion of the score improved quite a bit. The next release of AOTC should be the full score and will most likely be a heck of a lot better than what's out there right now.

I'm not solely judging from the soundtrack on the CD, I'm talking about from the movie itself. About 90% of the music from the last half of the movie is taken verbatim from TPM, including the Battle Droid Invasion, DotF, and the whole beginning track minus the SW fanfare. It's all in there unadulterated from the EP1 soundtrack. I think JW didn't have enough time to write new music. He was busy writing stuff for Harry Potter, Minority Report, and a couple of other movies made about the same time as EP2.

I agree with JT that the EP2 music is more dramatic, but EP1 is a lot more OT-like than that of EP2. Yes EP2 is darker, but ESB was also very dark but had a fun and resounding score, unlike EP2.

Forhekset
06-04-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

I'm not solely judging from the soundtrack on the CD, I'm talking about from the movie itself. About 90% of the music from the last half of the movie is taken verbatim from TPM, including the Battle Droid Invasion, DotF, and the whole beginning track minus the SW fanfare. It's all in there unadulterated from the EP1 soundtrack. I think JW didn't have enough time to write new music. He was busy writing stuff for Harry Potter, Minority Report, and a couple of other movies made about the same time as EP2.

I agree with JT that the EP2 music is more dramatic, but EP1 is a lot more OT-like than that of EP2. Yes EP2 is darker, but ESB was also very dark but had a fun and resounding score, unlike EP2.

Well, as "movie music" I think the music to AOTC worked fine, though it's not my favorite by far. I guess I was talking more about how the music held up on its own. :) I'm something of a film music/classical buff, so I tend to do that....

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-05-2002, 12:24 AM
I can't decide among ANH, TPM, and AOTC.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Forhekset

Well, as "movie music" I think the music to AOTC worked fine, though it's not my favorite by far. I guess I was talking more about how the music held up on its own. :) I'm something of a film music/classical buff, so I tend to do that....

Yes, I agree. It did work with the movie for the most part and is probably superior than scores of most movies. However, as far as SW goes I was greatly disappointed. I just don't think it was up to par with the OT or even TPM. I don't think it will be nominated for an Oscar.

Slicker
11-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Definitely ESB. The tracks all have an emotion to them + it introduced us to The Imperial March.

LusiferSam
11-28-2006, 09:30 PM
I've also got to go with ESB for the Imperial March. That only is the single best track of any of the SW sound tracks. On the down side of ESB it's also got my least favorite piece, Han and Leia theme. I hate the one.

Other I'd say a tie with SW and ROTJ. Like TPM sound track, but have never listened to the AOTC or ROTS sound tracks.

Old Fossil
11-28-2006, 09:44 PM
ESB with it's "The Asteroid Field" is my absolute favorite. It's perhaps one of the shorter tracks but it makes that disc my number one choice.

AMEN!!! Though I try not to listen to that track while driving home after work... my pickup truck is not as maneuverable as the Falcon.:sad:

El Chuxter
11-28-2006, 10:36 PM
ROTS has some amazing choral pieces.

2-1B
11-28-2006, 11:09 PM
The 1978 Holiday Special has some good jams.

CaptainSolo1138
11-28-2006, 11:13 PM
ESB is my fav, with most of the AotC soundtrack coming in second.

2-1B
11-28-2006, 11:37 PM
ESB is my fav, with most of the AotC soundtrack coming in second.

hayden's_hunnie might agree with you...at least in part.

JimJamBonds
11-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Ewoks II with ROTS coming in a close second.

JediTricks
11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
I'm sticking with my comments, ESB has the best music, but ANH is the best soundtrack album, and I don't like any of the prequel music for Star Wars use.

Did you know that John Williams wrote both theme songs to "Lost in Space" as well as much of its incidental music? That sure takes the wind out of my sails.

El Chuxter
11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Are you sure that he wrote the themes? I know he did a lot of the other music, which is actually not bad, and closer to his current work than the other schlock he was doing at the time, but for some reason I'm thinking someone else wrote the theme and he only orchestrated it. I'll check the CD when I get home, if I remember.

JON9000
11-29-2006, 06:46 PM
I really like ANH the best because it has my favorite two musical pieces from all six films...

The March of the Jawas
The Cantina

of the prequels I think ROTS is the best. I can't bring any music to mind from AOTC other than the music in Dex's diner, and TPM was underwhelming in comparison to the others.

My least favorite is ROTJ-SE. I hate the Rebo Band and I hate the new Ewok song.

pbarnard
11-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Did you know that John Williams wrote both theme songs to "Lost in Space" as well as much of its incidental music? That sure takes the wind out of my sails.

I know he wrote the original theme, and the underlying score, but I don't think he wrote the second "color" theme.

As for soundtrack, I'm going to go with RotS. It has a bit of everything, it draws from all the movies, throws them together, and the first time I listened to it was in the car driving at night. I couldn't read what the track titles were on the case, but I could almost guess what the music was trying to do.

I got to "direct" Duel of the Fates as my conducting final back in the day with a group of local professionals. First time ever I had to do choral music. Freaked me, and than 2 days later the video/soundtrack comes out on MTV. Also like Anakin's theme from TPM but mostly how that bends the Imperial March around. Nothing musically caught my ear from AotC. ANH there's always "The Force Theme" of the Twin Suns, Cantina Band 1, ESB there's the subdued Cloud City March, RotJ is Sailbarge Battle, and Into the Trap.

While the main theme and Imperial March are probably the most recognizable, they're starting to get overrated/played by every school band, pops concert etc.

My least favorite song in the whole thing has to be the Forrest Battle which can be rearranged into a suite. Ugh, just don't know, doesn't work.

JediTricks
11-29-2006, 11:56 PM
Are you sure that he wrote the themes? I know he did a lot of the other music, which is actually not bad, and closer to his current work than the other schlock he was doing at the time, but for some reason I'm thinking someone else wrote the theme and he only orchestrated it. I'll check the CD when I get home, if I remember.I am pretty positive, it's in his IMDB listing and I've read it elsewhere. He also did incidental music for Gilligan's Island... oh the humanity!!!

I know he wrote the original theme, and the underlying score, but I don't think he wrote the second "color" theme.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_in_Space says he did both.

JetsAndHeels
11-29-2006, 11:58 PM
ESB is my favorite, hands down. ROTS would probably be second on my list.

Rocketboy
11-30-2006, 12:03 AM
The Ewoks cartoon had the best music.

El Chuxter
11-30-2006, 12:08 AM
The Ewoks cartoon had the best music.

'Cause Taj Mahal is a bad-a**.