PDA

View Full Version : What is your fav 'last shot' of the SW movies?

SaeseeTiin
06-04-2002, 03:31 AM
Each Star Wars movie ends with what you could call a 'last shot' before it rushes into black with the usual music and blue writing credits. But out of them all, which is your favourite?
I think my favourite is a draw between TPM and ESB. I love how TPM signifies the beginning almost, although it is the end of that film. And I love how the sun shines on them all. What I sometimes dislike about the SW prequels is that at times due to CGI and so on the sunlight is very artificle and I don't believe looks entirely real. But with this one, the sunlight is real, particually on the faces of the Jedi Council members there and others.
ESB I love for the cliffhanger type ending although yet it is very calm almost as well. The stars are beautiful also, as is the music.
So what does everyone else think?

STiin

DarthBrandon
06-04-2002, 03:40 AM
ESB to date, although ATOC would have been my fav if they left out or put the marriage of Anakin and Padme before the clones and the ships taking off. I think if I was editing I would have made this the last shot. Just think all the clone army of the republic marching and the ships taking off in the background is way better than looking at Anakin and Padme.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 05:38 AM
I was about to say AOTC also, until I remembered that it ended with Anakin and Padme. Thus I think the ESB last shot is my favorite. It's like a giant "To Be Continued..." sign.

JediDan
06-04-2002, 04:30 PM
AOTC without a doubt.

JediTricks
06-04-2002, 06:49 PM
ANH - all the characters standing there in great ceremony, bringing the rebellion together to honor their first major victory over the Empire... so cool.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-04-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
ANH - all the characters standing there in great ceremony, bringing the rebellion together to honor their first major victory over the Empire... so cool.

JT, again we sound like the only voices of logic and sanity on the topic of movie comparisons. :D

There's no comparison between ANH and the other movies. The finale is very triumphant and also gives excellent closure to the movie. Who doesn't hear the throne room theme and get goosebumps. It's about the best piece of SW music, IMO. Plus, this scene makes the movie a stand alone movie, and not necessarily a part of a greater picture.

ROTJ just doesn't have the same feel, although it should have an even grander finale than all the others. I still like the older version better than the SE one, probably more due to the music than the planet-to-planet views.

sir wilbur copeland
06-04-2002, 07:31 PM
I must agree with JT and MC. Hope's ending is the most exultant. Here you see the honoring of the scoundrel and the kid who would be jedi.

I'm kinda disappointed with Jedi's ending even though I thought it was cool back then. That is the end end. It should have been better, although it does bring all things together. The three pivotal palyers from the PT and the three pivotal players from the OT.

It was cool to see the cutaways in the SE, but I didn't like it much as an ending.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
06-04-2002, 11:05 PM
ESB is the winner in my book. After we witness the gang facing a lot of harrowing entanglements, the resurgence of the Empire, and the apprehension of one of the heroes, the final scene brings us back to tranquility and serenity. Luke and Leia embrace as they and the droids peer out the window and see the beautiful picture of the galaxy. The music is soothing and contrbutes to the feeling of the final scene, one that tells us, although things looked bleak, we know the worst of the saga is over. It is time to focus anew, to pick up the pieces and try to accomplish their ultimate goal; to restore peace to the universe after years of turmoil.

ANH's triumphant ending is a close second, but ESB's ending stirred more emotion in me.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Definately ANH.

SithDroid
06-05-2002, 01:50 AM
Definately ESB. I like how AOTC ends very similar to ESB though.

2-1B
06-05-2002, 06:06 AM
I vote in favor of the lovebirds in AOTC. :)
I prefer that as the end shot over the clone army.

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat

JT, again we sound like the only voices of logic and sanity on the topic of movie comparisons. :D

It's not an issue of right answers or logic here. A question was asked and we all gave our opinions on it. If everyone is expected to give the same "right" answer then what is the point of having a discussion?

IMO, I don't really like the ANH ending because the entire issue of Chewie not getting a medal always sticks in my craw.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

It's not an issue of right answers or logic here. A question was asked and we all gave our opinions on it. If everyone is expected to give the same "right" answer then what is the point of having a discussion?

IMO, I don't really like the ANH ending because the entire issue of Chewie not getting a medal always sticks in my craw.

I'm not putting anyone down BigB. There's just been a few other topics about SW movie comparisons and JT and I always seem to see eye-to-eye on them. That's mostly what I was saying.

I do find it hard to believe that so many people like the Jedi wedding ending better than the medal ceremony. One is done in secret, a big taboo with lovey-dovey music. The other is triumphant with a great march and everyone cheering on. In my mind, there's no comparison between the two; ANH is just much superior.

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 03:53 PM
I was one of those annoying "Why didn't Chewie get a medal?" kids, so the ANH ending was always really frustrating for me.

wedgeA
06-05-2002, 05:35 PM
I gotta agree with bigbarada, the chewie medal issue keeps ANH from being the best ending, he just seemed like a second class citizen in the whole affair.

I think ESB has the best ending shot. In ESB, the shot of the principals which pans into the fleet is awesome, certainly the most artistic of any of the films.

AOTC has a nice ending shot mainly due to its parallels with ESB. I thought the music in that scene was great.

With repesct to ROTJ, I liked the SE ending for three reasons:
The new score- I hated the Ewok song and dance number.
The shot of Wedge and Luke shaking hands- not in the original.
The second shot of the Jedi Spirits, where Obi Wan puts his hand on Yoda's shoulder, adds to the sense of emotional closure-again, not in the original.

SithDroid
06-05-2002, 05:48 PM
ANH - Medal Ceremony honoring heroes, Leia gives medals
TPM - Medal Ceremony honoring heroes, Padme gives crystal

ESB - Shot of Luke, Leia, R2, and C-3P0
AOTC - Shot of Anakin, Padme, R2, and C-3P0

ROTJ - Jedi Spirits Yoda, Anakin, and Obi-Wan
EP III - ? Jedi Spirits Mace, Ki-Adi Mundi, Plo Koon?

Is it just me or are all the prequel endings very similar to their OT counterparts. If this pattern keeps up we will see Jedi Spirits at the end of EP III. What do you all think?

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 12:45 AM
I never understood this "why didn't Chewie get a medal" thing, it never stood out for me. Here's what I wrote a few days ago about the issue:
---
Why doesn't Dodonna get a medal? He's the one who actually figured out the Death Star's weakness in time. Or how about R2? He kept Luke in that fight for a long time by repairing the X-wing... till he got shot. Chewie didn't appear to actually be any significant part of Han's decision to turn around and kick some TIE booty, so if Dodonna doesn't get one, and R2 doesn't get one, why should Chewie?

I dunno, I just thought Dodonna and R2 and 3PO and Chewie got their accolades simply by being up there on the stage.
---
In fact, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why Wedge didn't get a medal, he did more than Han did to keep Luke in that fight AND he survived AND he was a rebel pilot. I mean, Han and Luke make a great pair of figureheads for the rebel cause, great PR, but Wedge was into this whole thing up to his neck AND he didn't get blasted into space-dust.

wedgeA, Chewie is a 2nd-class citizen, and the droids are 3rd-class citizens, Lucas always intended to show that things are not all equal and perfect in the SW universe, that's why only Luke treats the droids as equals - because he's the "pure-hearted farm boy who hasn't been tainted by hatred" character.

Originally posted by sir wilbur copeland
I'm kinda disappointed with Jedi's ending even though I thought it was cool back then. That is the end end. It should have been better, although it does bring all things together. The three pivotal palyers from the PT and the three pivotal players from the OT.

It was cool to see the cutaways in the SE, but I didn't like it much as an ending. I couldn't agree more, the original ending was sorta weak, but at least it ended with a nice gathering of important character in a joyus SW celebration that really captured the personal feel of ROTJ, the SE ending is like a huge burp in the pacing of the end of the film for me. It's like "we're wrapping it up, we're wrapping it up, we're ON A DIFFERENT PLANET, then another, then another... oh yeah, then we're finally at the end".

SaeseeTiin
06-06-2002, 02:49 AM
I'm surprised no one seems to like the Phantom Menace ending, in my opinion it is one of the best endings due to how it shows how the film is merely a beginning and the huge number of characters it includes.
Does anyone else like ending?

STiin

2-1B
06-06-2002, 03:51 AM
I bet Dinotopia fans would choose TPM's ending. :D

Mandalorian Candidat
06-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by SaeseeTiin
I'm surprised no one seems to like the Phantom Menace ending, in my opinion it is one of the best endings due to how it shows how the film is merely a beginning and the huge number of characters it includes.
Does anyone else like ending?

STiin

I actually thought the ending was decent, just not nearly as good as ANH. It was a nice parallel, but just didn't have the strong emotional oomph of ANH. Plus, that Yoda suit kind of creeped me out.

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by wedgeA
I gotta agree with bigbarada, the chewie medal issue keeps ANH from being the best ending, he just seemed like a second class citizen in the whole affair.

"Remember kids, if somebody looks different than you then they're not important.";)

Actually for as bad as it sucked the Holiday Special actually addressed the whole Chewie's Medal issue. Just not very well, and not without needing earplugs for Leia's "lovely" singing voice.

Good points, though, JT. I can kind of see your side of the issue.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-06-2002, 03:30 PM
I'm really surprised that this whole medal thing from ANH has raised so many hackles. I never thought about it until I read somewhere (the novel?) that Chewie could have gotten a medal but he would have to put it on himself.

It never really made much difference to me that he didn't get one. I figured Luke should since he blew the whole thing all apart and Han since we see the screen shot of him (and not Chewie) after the MF deep-sixes Vader.

What I thought was really cool about that scene was that we get to see the droids with spit n' polish, not all jacked up like they usually are in the other movies.

Darth Nihilus
06-07-2002, 03:08 PM
I actually vote for RotJ, only because I'm a sentimentalist and feel saddened by the idea that we won't get to see the further adventures of our heroes.