PDA

View Full Version : I want to be spoiled !!

britcit3
09-21-2001, 01:34 PM
As I am sure all you US folks are aware, Star Trek Enterprise starts on Wednesday.

Unfortunately, I am told it will not start on UK satelite channels until the New Year.

I therefore ask to be spoiled..........can one of the Yanks please email me and tell me EVERYTHING that happens.

I already know that it is about first contact with the Klingies, but I want to know more, more, more.......

Yours in anxious anticipation.

BC3

Baal
09-21-2001, 02:42 PM
Hey BC3,
I could tape it on the VCR, and send it to you.
I'm not sure about how much trouble it would be for you to watch it, your video format is different isn't it?
Baal

LTBasker
09-21-2001, 03:12 PM
Hmm.... what someone could do (I wouldn't know the first thing about doing this and I'm not sure if it can be done) is if you know how, hook the VCR upto your computer and possibly record it onto a burnt CD if yuo have a CD burner in maybe quick time format or something and then send that to BC3? Though, I will try to find proof on wether or not it will be shown on Wednsday in the UK or not.. I think I saw it was in an article on ST.com, hmm. I'll get back to you on that!

EDIT: Dang, sorry, the article on that topic was posted on the 16th this month and the dates were said to be undecided.

SWAFMAN
09-21-2001, 05:48 PM
BritCit3,
ANYthing and EVERYthing your Guinness-lovin, bangers&mash-eatin, union-jack-salutin' heart could desire is yours for the reading/viewing/discussing/downloading on that amazing flip-side of the internet.... USENET.

Cases in point:

alt.binaries.startrek
alt.binaries.multimedia.startrek
alt.binaries.startrek.adult
alt.binaries.erotica.fetish.nudetrek
alt.sex.fetish.startrek
rec.arts.startrek.tech
alt.games.netrek
alt.games.netrek.paradise
alt.tv.star-trek.voyager
de.rec.sf.startrek.enterprise
de.rec.sf.startrek.misc

If you don't already avail yourself of one or more these groups/threads, you may wish to visit sometime.

vulcantouch
09-21-2001, 11:00 PM
. . .if it's Textual spoilerage you want bc3, there'll certainly be ample offerings of same on the net, as there was for ds9 (http://www.psiphi.org/DS9/ep/reviews.html) &voy (http://www.treknews.com/deltablues/seasons.html) :) the latter even featured blow-by-blow synopses, which i never read since i was mainly interested in the critiques and was able to view the ep anyway, but i understand they were skillfully written :)
meanwhile, re your wish for a red r2, i had a VrainsTorm: according to your site, you have still-packaged xtras of ep1 pak 10, mib pak 4, sst paks 1-3 and aliens pak 3, correct? if so, lmk if you're willing to part with em, & i'll see if b'jr'll be willing to trade you his xtra red r2 for them :)
what does this have to do with the thread topic, you ask? well, uh, it's an example of what, uh, Enterprising dealmakers we are ;)
vt
np: jim cagney's rendition of "iiii'm a yankee doodle dandy, youuu dirty rat"

Baal
09-21-2001, 11:46 PM
Hey VT,
I've got a CD-RW,
but I do believe I need something to compress/decompress the info to get it onto a rom.
And I'm sure that must require software also.
Does anyone know of a way to get video on
to a cd-rom? The only thing I can do for sure is capture stills from the V.ideoT.ape, keep em' in order, whip up a little slideshow, and send the rom to BC3. Maybe one of you guys can take care of the narration?
Baal

Wait a minute,
how corny is that?
I've been hanging around this crowd way too much!

britcit3
09-22-2001, 02:24 AM
Many thanks to you ALL.

Would love a copy of the 1st Episode but the UK does have a different system to the US (we have PAL whereas you have NTSC (correct ?)) - although I did manage to get hold of a copy of Voyager The Caretaker from the US back in 94 several months before it was released in the UK (don't understand the logistics of taping it though).

So in lieu of actually watching it, a brief account if what happens will have to suffice.

VT - sorry, those items aren't SWAPS as such, but part of my UNOPENED collection.

Once again, many thanks for your generosity.

BC3

britcit3
09-22-2001, 02:26 AM
PS

Swaffy,

how do you access those news/ discussion groups?

Cheers

BC3

vulcantouch
09-22-2001, 10:52 AM
yeah, i know they're part of your unopened collection bc3; but since collecting's the art of the possible (and you've previously traded me an st14) i figured it'd be worth a try :) but i ain't ready to give up on cutting a deal that'll get u a red r2 Yet, so: how bout it for all of the above mm pax except aliens #3? :)
"ladies, please, i am nothing more than i appear to be; a simple tailor, trying to get the best deal for those he represents. so; let us. . .Haggle" -garak to lursa & betor, ds9's "past prologue" :)
vt
np: barry, Across the Sea of Time (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002BC3/qid%3D1001174054/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/107-0331528-8850173) score

britcit3
09-22-2001, 02:33 PM
hey VT

Sorry - no go on that trade - as I say I have now adopted on NO TRADE policy on my boxed collection.

However, I do have 2 unopened R2-Q5's (the cool black one) that I would trade for the red.

LMK

BC3

SWAFMAN
09-22-2001, 04:53 PM
BC3,
This is a link with a decent interface to get you reading and posting on Usenet StarTrek threads:
Free WWW-to-Usenet interface web page - alt.startrek (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=alt.startrek)

This is a link to EasyNews. There is a $10.00 monthly fee and a 6 gigabyte per month download limit, but they have a strictly enforced "no spam" policy that drastically improves the quality of content.
Easy News (http://www.easynews.com/)

Happy hunting!

vulcantouch
09-22-2001, 10:04 PM
. . .i'm afraid b'jr already has two (or three- i can't recal offhand) q5s. so lemme see if third time's the charm: how bout ep1 pak 10, mib pak 4, sst pak 2 (the one w/warrior bug) and either sst pak 1 Or 3 (your choice)? i checked w/b'jr & he says he'd agree to that :)
also, I JUST REMEMBERED he also has an xtra interrogator droid (that came w/commtech vader; i'd highly recomend this to go with your r2s, holodeathstar and probot mm); if you wish, i'll ask if he'd be willing to throw one in :)
if i hear only crickets in response, i'll assume that's a no. naturally, i'll then make another try ;)
vt
np: squeeze, "tempted"

vulcantouch
09-23-2001, 11:32 AM
just a quik note that i just checked w/b'jr & he sez he'll throw in his xtra interrogator droid :)
"i see Locusts! they'll destroy bajor, unless she stands alone!" :eek:
-sisko, ds9's "rapture"

britcit3
09-23-2001, 11:53 AM
Hi VT

Sorry - just aquired R2-D9 at auction quite cheaply.

Cheers anyway

BC3

vulcantouch
09-24-2001, 12:58 PM
i spose $21.50+postage ain't Too bad, but of course i'd still rather we'da done a trade :cool: but you jumped the gun- you didn't wait to hear my Next two counterproposals:
-d9 & intdroid for ep1 10, sst 2, mib 4 & aliens 3
-after That i was gonna say for ep1 10, sst 2, & mib 4
oh well, not every deal's destined to close. want me to check w/b'jr & see if he'll still part with his xtra intdroid, since you recently got your own teemto pod which lets him have the xtra one i'd slated for you? lmk :)
vt
np: blondie, "now i know you know" (rodgers/edwards write/produce)

britcit3
09-24-2001, 01:04 PM
Sounds good - LMK.

Bad news to report though - I have suddenly found myself starting to collect ACTSJSJ FIHDHD, sorry, I can hardly type it, I'll try again, ACTION FIGURES - droids only though.

Am on the look out for 1 of each (vintage or POTJ/Ep1).

Now have all 5 astromechs, 4-LOM, ASP & 2-1B - the quest begins.

Cheers

BC3

britcit3
09-24-2001, 01:07 PM
PS as goodwill gesture, have already posted you 1 snappy voy, 1 delta flyer, and chess pieces (Ents B & D).

Bought a snappy Voy for myself and have made it look what Voyager SHOULD have looked like (as opposed to the rather feeble looking ship that it is).

See pic (more to be added soon to site).

BC3

vulcantouch
09-24-2001, 01:14 PM
in that case, i think it's bout time we heard from you here (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=390) :) same goes for you, jdah, as you are a known non-completist collector too :)
i have local sources for vintage & current droid figs; lmk max acceptable price & min. acceptable condition & i can check around :)
i'll give the chess peices to b'jr to furhter persuade him to part with int droid :) as for delta: since you're sending it anyway, i'll wait & see it before deciding what 2do w/it :cool:
vt
np: chic, "reach your peak"

britcit3
09-26-2001, 12:28 PM
Well, if my intelligence is correct, then tonight is the night.

Eagerly awaiting full report.

Cheers

BC3

vulcantouch
09-26-2001, 10:57 PM
plot?? you want me to spell out for you the P-L-O-T??? :rolleyes: please, let's stick to what's Important- namely a re-shuffling of those four letters. let's not be so prosaic: what you Really need to know is that we're all gonna have to learn the vulcan word for babetronic (http://www.startrek.com/launch/crew/tpolbio.asp) ;)
the resta you stay back, she's mine! after all, the first 3 letters of vulcantouch was always "L-U-V" :D
vt
p.s. BRING BACK TREK MMS, DAMMIT! :mad:

LTBasker
09-27-2001, 12:57 AM
BritCit, trust me... we aren't being spoiled. I won't say any spoilers but I will tell ya this, don't have high expectations of T'Pol being like Lt. Saavik in the Trek movies because well, rather poor acting on Jolene Blalock's part, IMO. (That wouldn't count as a spoiler would it?)

VT: Just wanted to let you know I lost that Bajoran Solar Sailor I was getting for trade. :( Didn't make it in time to get it...

britcit3
09-27-2001, 01:24 AM
T'Pol: the fact that she seems to have stolen Jeri Ryans wardrobe does earn her big brownie points with me.

So go on then, what happenned ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????

BC3

LTBasker
09-27-2001, 06:58 AM
Alot of continuity and some almost-nudity

JediTricks
09-27-2001, 09:08 AM
I wrote my "opinions" part and have been using it as a generic response to the show. I'll post a synopsis first:

It's 90 years after the events of "First Contact" where Cochrane made his historic flight, and many humans apparently feel held back by the Vulcans both in terms of diplomacy with the rest of the galaxy and with the development of warp speed and other technology. This gives a new spin on McCoy's hard-headed thinking towards Spock in TOS. Also another throw-back to McCoy's way of thinking is the pointing out that transporters are just now being tested for human use, and nobody wants to use them. Anyway, a Klingon has crashed on Earth and is chased down by creepy sand-skinned baddies called the Sauurin. The Klingon blows them up, but since he doesn't speak english, he's shot by a Human with a plasma shotgun (I kid you not) who doesn't know what the evil-looking alien is doing or saying. Captain Archer is called to Starfleet medical where he finds a few Admirals and some Vulcans discussing the Klingon, who's being worked on by Dr Phlox. The Vulcans want to respect the honor of death from battle the Klingon society respects, but Archer finds out that the Klingon may not die at all, but merely may need further medical attention. Archer clashes with the Vulcans, especially the female named T'pol. The Vulcans don't want Archer and Starfleet to be the ones delivering the Klingon back to Quo'nos ("Kronos", the Klingon homeworld), but Starfleet wants to get out there and meet new folks, so after a scene where Archer brings in a communications officer (thus leading the viewer to imagine the other "gathering" he must do to pull this mission off in the 3 days he has), Archer is stuck with the Vulcan he most cheesed off as his science officer, and of course, she's hot to look at but isn't thrilled to be there. The Enterprise NX-01 is going out for it's first run, and the ship uses new warp engines that Capt Archer's dad designed and died before seeing used "because of the Vulcans." On the way to the Klingon homeworld, Klaang (the Klingon courier our heroes are returning to his homeworld) is stolen away by the Saurrin baddies who can go invisible when they shut the power down on the whole ship. However, thanks to luck and a worthless translator, we believe he MAY have visited a planet called Rigel 10 before hitting Earth, which is confirmed by T'pol who wasn't allowed to share this info originally with the humans. They also killed one of the enemy saurrins, who Dr Phlox says has been manipulated to have enhancements that are not natural.

Getting to the planet, a small away team comprised of the first officer, the captain, the Vulcan, the young ensign helmsman, the armory officer, and the communications officer, heads down to what can only be guessed is the ONLY city on the planet, a small snowy little dirty dump. During this, we see Klaang being interrogated by the evil Saurrins who find out that he knows little and was carrying nothing, even though he was the courier who met with one of their enemies, they then send some guys to intercept Archer and crew. We also meet some "time distortion room" type thing where a mysterious shadowy figure gives orders to the Saurrin. Back to the crew, after a split-up which leads to some goofiness, T'pol pointing out how the human desire to put their nose into everything and impose their values on everybody is not always the right thing to do, and some alien sex-club/prostitution scene, Archer is found by some Saurrins and a "sexy lady" who confronts him about the Klingon and the mission and what he knows yadda yadda, then kisses him and morphs into a Saurrin, but explains how she's not a baddie and how she was trying to help the infighting Klingon factions who are being manipulated from an unknown force from the future involved in a "Temporal Cold War" - this force is also giving the other Saurrins a leg-up in evolution and using them as puppets. Obviously, the Saurrins don't want this info getting out. Then they're ambushed, and go to escape to their shuttle pod but the good-guy Saurrin chick gets killed. The rest of our heroes get back to the shuttle where there are more baddies shooting at them, and when T'pol is knocked down by an escaping Saurrin ship's exhaust leaving her unable to get to the shuttle pod, Archer goes back and saves her, but gets shot in the leg. She drags the capt to the shuttle and they get out of there, and on their way back to the ship, T'pol announces that she's the next-highest ranking officer and is taking command of the Enterprise, which doesn't set well with everybody.

When the crew gets back to the ship, we learn that the first officer and T'pol had come into contact with a spore which is bad, so they both go into the decontamination chamber where they strip down to their undies while the doctor passes lotion to them to kill the spore. While they're rubbing their barely-clothed bodies down in graphic detail, they discuss what the next move should be, T'pol wants to go back to Earth in failure, but first officer wants to track the Saurrin ship, there's strife and conflict and a touch of sexual tension, and when Archer comes to, he learns that they're following the Saurrin ship. Eventually, they find the base of these Saurrins and fly into a gas giant, capture an enemy ship, Archer and first officer trojan horse over to the base with 2 pieces of new tech -- a device which demagnatizes any hull within 2 km or something (which is important since the base is made of little pods all magnetized together), and new "phase pistols" which have 2 settings - stun and kill. While the Enterprise - with T'pol in command - is waiting for Archer to return and is hiding in a different level of the atmosphere of the gas giant planet, the ship is being homed in upon by the missiles of the enemy and has to move, which means Archer won't be able to find them. Apparently, the ship doesn't even have shields. So they find Klaang alive thanks to a surprisingly accurate tricorder, they get into a firefight, Archer sends Klaang and First Officer along while he sets the demag charge, and when it goes off, all chaos lets loose and Archer can't get to the pod, so he uses his communicator to tell First Officer to take off, drop off the Klingon, and come back for him. When First Officer and Klaang get back to the Ent, the FO and T'pol again clash on the nature of the mission, T'pol wants to split and thinks that Archer wasn't interested in being saved, he just wanted to make sure that FO and Klaang got away, but FO disagrees. While this is going on, Archer finds the "Time Room" and battles the head Saurrin baddie, they fight, Archer gets away, and the Ent ends up having to use the transporter to save him, something that's never been tested before. The transport goes ridiculously smoothly and the Ent gets away. Finally, they deliver Klaang to the Klingon homeworld, and the Klingon higher ups take a sample of Klaang's blood, analyze it, and there's a piece of helix which contains data, data that the guy from the future didn't want the Klingons getting. With this mission complete, Archer gets new instructions that they don't head back to Earth, but they begin the "boldly go" mission. Archer, who still hasn't told anybody (as far as we know) about the whole Temporal Cold War issue, privately asks T'pol to stay on as the science officer, she agrees, and the show ends.

And now onto my opinions:

Well, as a Trekkie, I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. I dunno, it felt sorta pedestrian like it was trying its hardest to get as many audiences as possible to like it by being spread too thin.* The "technobabble-factor" was nowhere near as low as I was expecting, though it was almost all based on technobabble from TNG which made it at least solid technobabble* ;). The "nearly nude" scene with T'pol in the decon(tamination) chamber was really insulting, far beyond anything they pulled with 7 of 9 on Voyager. This really went over the top with the rubbing of lotion and thin shirt barely covering erect nipples, sure it was sexy, but is this the type of thing Rick Berman feels Trek has to resort to?

None of the scenes had much subtle impact IMO, it was like a brick being thrown through my TV screen that said "inspiring" or "danger!". Bakula wasn't bad, but he was basically just himself (or that "Dr. Sam Beckett" part of him), and the rest of the main cast was all over the map. The actress who played T'pol gave fine readings, when I closed my eyes, I heard her character, but when I looked at her, she went through her lines like a block of wood, barely even blinking. At one point in sickbay, she spent nearly a minute without changing her expression or looking in a different direction or even cocking her head - that's got to be fixed! Dr Phlox was like Neelix-squared, but since I never hated Neelix, it wasn't too bad for me (till we got to that awful CG-smile). The rest of the cast was sort of generic, but I think the whole thing has promise. The last half-hour really dropped the ball though IMO, this was a very standard Voyager ending, I hope they can think their way out of future eps better than this action-ending.

All in all, I found it was not really a prequel to The Original Series (TOS), but more like a prequel to The Next Generation (TNG) - lots of hope, lots of Okudagrams. ;) I don't mind too much if they have to rewrite little pieces of Trek backstory to get this thing working, but I hope they try to be kind to the Trek legend.

One more note, while the credit sequence was visually interesting, the music they chose (some Rod Stewart sound-alike) just didn't work for me. I didn't hate it, and upon a 2nd run-through, I thought it was better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but it didn't have that inspirational feeling that all the Star Trek shows' opening credit sequences had in one way or another. What's really weird is that this music was a huge departure for Trek, but the rest of the show's score felt like any ol' Voyager episode, totally uninspired.

Now, onto my thoughts about where it's going, which means some
POTENTIAL SPOILERS

I'm like 99% sure that the "futureguy" enemy is a Romulan. The temporal cold war is going to be an ongoing theme and I hope they have the smarts to give a few clues without giving the whole thing away.

The transporter was already used deus ex machina, that's a REALLY bad sign there. I hope they have the smarts to make the transporter have some friggin' PROBLEMS in the future.

The Klingons didn't seem to care jack about the humans, this was the wrong note to get off on there. By the end of the first season, there better be some serious Klingon/Human animosity going on!

LTBasker
09-27-2001, 09:38 AM
The lotion rubbing scene, that should have never been thought of. The guy (forget his name) just rubs it on his bare skin while T'Pol is over there rubbing it under her shirt and on her chest and in her SHORTS for crying outloud! I mean, come on, if the guy only has to rub it on his exposed skin, and if he would be ok by doing just the exposed skin then T'Pol being full blooded Vulcan should've definitely known that it was not logical to put lotion in places it doesn' t need to be. That scene is incredibly lame and stupid from a Trek point of view which is it not what they are going for since the show is called Star Trek and not Star Nudes? 'course the scene fits with Jolene Bra-Unlocked considering when talking to on of my friends yesterday he said his brother got a magazine in the mail with some pictures of her that were pretty much the equivelant to PlayBoy. (Just what Berman was looking for, I guess)

Anyway, 'nuff of my hatred babbling toward that scene. (When it comes to a Star Trek, I put Trek before Sex. :D )

Well ya know they gotta have a transporter mishap, like T'Pol missing some clothes or something. Supposed to be the first transporter system and yet it works perfectly. Just makes ya feel sorry for the work that Scotty, O'Brien, LaForge and Torres put out to keep it working for at least 2-3 episodes in a row. :eek:

Dr. Phlox was pretty cool, though would they really be putting an unknown species as their doctor on the first Starfleet Starship? Doubtful. He's more of a mix between The EMH Doctor and Neelix, ya know, happy-go-lucky with medical training. ;) So if you're partying with him and you're dancing like Tuvok did and you fall down then brake your leg, he can fix it on the spot and you can go back to breaking your leg again. :p

The casting IMO is good, except with Jolene Blalock. :rolleyes:

JediTricks
09-27-2001, 10:02 AM
For me, it's nearly bed time, so this is from my now-foggy memory, please forgive any mistakes:

It's 90 years after the events of "First Contact" where Cochrane made his historic flight, and many humans apparently feel held back by the Vulcans both in terms of diplomacy with the rest of the galaxy and with the development of warp speed and other technology. This gives a new spin on McCoy's hard-headed thinking towards Spock in TOS. Also another throw-back to McCoy's way of thinking is the pointing out that transporters are just now being tested for human use, and nobody wants to use them. Anyway, a Klingon has crashed on Earth and is chased down by creepy sand-skinned baddies called the Sauurin. The Klingon blows them up, but since he doesn't speak english, he's shot by a Human with a plasma shotgun (I kid you not) who doesn't know what the evil-looking alien is doing or saying. Captain Archer is called to Starfleet medical where he finds a few Admirals and some Vulcans discussing the Klingon, who's being worked on by Dr Phlox. The Vulcans want to respect the honor of death from battle the Klingon society respects, but Archer finds out that the Klingon may not die at all, but merely may need further medical attention. Archer clashes with the Vulcans, especially the female named T'pol. The Vulcans don't want Archer and Starfleet to be the ones delivering the Klingon back to Quo'nos ("Kronos", the Klingon homeworld), but Starfleet wants to get out there and meet new folks, so after a scene where Archer brings in a communications officer (thus leading the viewer to imagine the other "gathering" he must do to pull this mission off in the 3 days he has), Archer is stuck with the Vulcan he most cheesed off as his science officer, and of course, she's hot to look at but isn't thrilled to be there. The Enterprise NX-01 is going out for it's first run, and the ship uses new warp engines that Capt Archer's dad designed and died before seeing used "because of the Vulcans." On the way to the Klingon homeworld, Klaang (the Klingon courier our heroes are returning to his homeworld) is stolen away by the Saurrin baddies who can go invisible when they shut the power down on the whole ship. However, thanks to luck and a worthless translator, we believe he MAY have visited a planet called Rigel 10 before hitting Earth, which is confirmed by T'pol who wasn't allowed to share this info originally with the humans. They also killed one of the enemy saurrins, who Dr Phlox says has been manipulated to have enhancements that are not natural.

Getting to the planet, a small away team comprised of the first officer, the captain, the Vulcan, the young ensign helmsman, the armory officer, and the communications officer, heads down to what can only be guessed is the ONLY city on the planet, a small snowy little dirty dump. During this, we see Klaang being interrogated by the evil Saurrins who find out that he knows little and was carrying nothing, even though he was the courier who met with one of their enemies, they then send some guys to intercept Archer and crew. We also meet some "time distortion room" type thing where a mysterious shadowy figure gives orders to the Saurrin. Back to the crew, after a split-up which leads to some goofiness, T'pol pointing out how the human desire to put their nose into everything and impose their values on everybody is not always the right thing to do, and some alien sex-club/prostitution scene, Archer is found by some Saurrins and a "sexy lady" who confronts him about the Klingon and the mission and what he knows yadda yadda, then kisses him and morphs into a Saurrin, but explains how she's not a baddie and how she was trying to help the infighting Klingon factions who are being manipulated from an unknown force from the future involved in a "Temporal Cold War" - this force is also giving the other Saurrins a leg-up in evolution and using them as puppets. Obviously, the Saurrins don't want this info getting out. Then they're ambushed, and go to escape to their shuttle pod but the good-guy Saurrin chick gets killed. The rest of our heroes get back to the shuttle where there are more baddies shooting at them, and when T'pol is knocked down by an escaping Saurrin ship's exhaust leaving her unable to get to the shuttle pod, Archer goes back and saves her, but gets shot in the leg. She drags the capt to the shuttle and they get out of there, and on their way back to the ship, T'pol announces that she's the next-highest ranking officer and is taking command of the Enterprise, which doesn't set well with everybody.

When the crew gets back to the ship, we learn that the first officer and T'pol had come into contact with a spore which is bad, so they both go into the decontamination chamber where they strip down to their undies while the doctor passes lotion to them to kill the spore. While they're rubbing their barely-clothed bodies down in graphic detail, they discuss what the next move should be, T'pol wants to go back to Earth in failure, but first officer wants to track the Saurrin ship, there's strife and conflict and a touch of sexual tension, and when Archer comes to, he learns that they're following the Saurrin ship. Eventually, they find the base of these Saurrins and fly into a gas giant, capture an enemy ship, Archer and first officer trojan horse over to the base with 2 pieces of new tech -- a device which demagnatizes any hull within 2 km or something (which is important since the base is made of little pods all magnetized together), and new "phase pistols" which have 2 settings - stun and kill. While the Enterprise - with T'pol in command - is waiting for Archer to return and is hiding in a different level of the atmosphere of the gas giant planet, the ship is being homed in upon by the missiles of the enemy and has to move, which means Archer won't be able to find them. Apparently, the ship doesn't even have shields. So they find Klaang alive thanks to a surprisingly accurate tricorder, they get into a firefight, Archer sends Klaang and First Officer along while he sets the demag charge, and when it goes off, all chaos lets loose and Archer can't get to the pod, so he uses his communicator to tell First Officer to take off, drop off the Klingon, and come back for him. When First Officer and Klaang get back to the Ent, the FO and T'pol again clash on the nature of the mission, T'pol wants to split and thinks that Archer wasn't interested in being saved, he just wanted to make sure that FO and Klaang got away, but FO disagrees. While this is going on, Archer finds the "Time Room" and battles the head Saurrin baddie, they fight, Archer gets away, and the Ent ends up having to use the transporter to save him, something that's never been tested before. The transport goes ridiculously smoothly and the Ent gets away. Finally, they deliver Klaang to the Klingon homeworld, and the Klingon higher ups take a sample of Klaang's blood, analyze it, and there's a piece of helix which contains data, data that the guy from the future didn't want the Klingons getting. With this mission complete, Archer gets new instructions that they don't head back to Earth, but they begin the "boldly go" mission. Archer, who still hasn't told anybody (as far as we know) about the whole Temporal Cold War issue, privately asks T'pol to stay on as the science officer, she agrees, and the show ends.

JediTricks
09-27-2001, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I have nothing against cheap sex scenes in most entertainment, explotive crap is ok in some types of shows for me, and they did have both the First Officer and Archer himself in their tight, revealing underwear (note to producers: as a heterosexual man, I really didn't need a close-up of Scott Bakula's crotch) so it's not like they're just exploiting women on the show, but with Trek, it feels extra tawdry and sleezy in a business sort of way, like someone trying to bring in horny teenage boys so Paramount can jack up ratings and sell products.

LTBasker
09-27-2001, 10:24 AM
The topless scenes in Voyager or the all nude scene with Jadzia in DS9 wasn't enough...oiy.

Btw, the Klingon crash lands in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. It's a real place so... I'm suprised those dudes found him there considering it's about as far away as you can get. :D

britcit3
09-27-2001, 10:59 AM
JT, you are a true gent and you have my eternal thanks.

Bit disappointed that the Klingon/Fed war dosen't "kick-off" in the episode though.

The temporal person - was it male or female - wouldn't it be great if it was Sela?

Many thanks

BC3

SWAFMAN
09-27-2001, 04:29 PM
I didn't see the episode, but thanks to JT, I feel as though I did. That must've taken at least as long to type up as the running time of the show. Thanks very much, JT!

As I read the comments about the show, I thought that one potential plot twist could be that the transporter really *didn't* work as well as it appeared. I mean, granted, he didn't materialize on the pad as a pool of jelly with some teeth & wads of hair floating in it, but wouldn't it be interesting if there was some sort of change- a transcription error - which causes him to develop some anomalous behavior or physiological event?

stay tuned?.......

SWAFMAN
09-27-2001, 07:37 PM
Speaking of Usenet, I was surfing there just now, and happened upon a review of the premier episode of "Enterprise" that can only be described as 'The Anti-JediTricks Review.'

Truthfully, the review may be described as a few other things by anyone here who reads it.

But, if you're in the mood (if not - enjoy a copious serving of your favorite potent potable), then do the following:

1) Read the JediTricks review (above) of the premier episode of "Enterprise.'

2) Imbibe mass quantities of alcohol.

3) Read the Anti-JT Enterprise Review (http://www.juicycerebellum.com/enterprise.htm)

4) Flame me mercilessly for posting the link.

:D :eek: :D

***Important Note: The review in the link I posted contains adult (that's extremely debatable - but you get my drift) language, so NO kidddies should be reading it.

vulcantouch
09-27-2001, 11:40 PM
flame you? hell, i should Thank you, it was fun :D coupla random thoughts:
-i've always enjoyed both trek's continuity and the writers' & producers' clever, after-the-fact explanations for why their apparent violations of that continuity are actually nothing of the sort :) but i Do think they're gonna have a bit of trouble explaining away this one:
"disastrous first contact with the klingons led to decades of war"
(picard, tng ep "first contact" )
-it didn't occur to me to instantly interpret that lotion porn scene as simply Gratuitous (it seemed somehow too Obviously so, as if to separate the "gratuitousness"-shouting boys from tongue-holding men like moi ;) ), but i still couldn't help laugh wondering What the hell they were up to :)
-i'm not a big fan of gary graham, but i found the tense dynamics between the terrans and vulcans, to coin a phrase, Fascinating :cool: i kept waiting for one of them vulcans to be referred to as "sarek". i spose they're just saving that revelation for later on ;)
-that british guy looks like mulder (crossed w/gary shandling) & sounds like bashir :eek:
-wasn't previously acquainted w/bakula's work, but i hope he gets more watchable than This :p
-if this series ends up being better-received than ds9 Or voy, that'll just prove to me that trek audiences aren't as racially- or gender-unbiased as they might like to think. let's face it, if a white guy ain't in the center seatwell, it just don't sit right w/too many trekkies :p
-what the Hell is up with that rod stewart patch adams themesong?? :p:p:p
-of course, what Really matters is, how does this series' attributes (or lack thereof) affect a possible resumption of trekmms? i mean, if we get a new tv show fine, but let's not forget that it's the mms that Really matter ;)
vt (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=940)
np: elo, "evil woman"

britcit3
09-28-2001, 01:29 AM
Please don't tell me that the soft rock/ ballad piece of crap that was used on the trailer (downloaded) is the actual theme tune.

Please don't.

BC3

LTBasker
09-28-2001, 06:18 AM
BC3, nah, they didn't use "Wherever you will go" they made some....thing....up and it actually has LYRICS! Sad eh?

VT, Scott Bakula was in Quantum Leap in the later 80's and the episodes have been showing on the Sci-Fi Channel lately and he's pretty good at acting, IMO. Enterprise episodes should be better I think when like LeVar Burton, Roxann Dawson, Jeri Ryan and Robert McNiel take to the directing. (They should've let LeVar do the pilot, maybe he would've kept it on a trek-track. ;) )

Hmm, micro machines, I can just picture an NX-01 in MM form, wouldn't look too bad, IMO. And possibly a Phoenix MM with folding nacelles. :D

britcit3
09-28-2001, 09:48 AM
You can always dream....

but we all know that there is absolutely zero chance of seeing them.

BC3

JediTricks
09-28-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by britcit3
JT, you are a true gent and you have my eternal thanks.

Bit disappointed that the Klingon/Fed war dosen't "kick-off" in the episode though.

The temporal person - was it male or female - wouldn't it be great if it was Sela?

Many thanks

BC3 You're quite welcome, though they're "Sulibans", not "Saurrins", and I don't know why my original edit (which crashed my browser) eventually showed up, thus negating my 2nd post of the synopsis. The lack of Fed/Klingon animosity kinda bugged me too. "Futureguy" was a dude, I'm pretty sure I'm done with Sela, they abused that situation on TNG pretty badly IMO. ;) Plus, I don't want it to be someone we know, unless it's someone from the 29th century who has visited Voyager, that would at least make a little sense (it'd still suck though).

Swaffy, you're quite welcome, and I too felt that the transporter working dandy both times we saw it was a mistake on the writer's part. Even if it didn't mess up Archer, we could have seen it mutilate some equipment while Archer was in the room in the beginning of the show just to give the audience a better sense that this isn't a perfected technology yet. Instead, it was faster than the TNG beam-up which bugged me, and had no problems at all.

Also, it's funny but that review, besides being over-the-top dirty language and getting details like the characters' names wrong, that review really did well at covering elements I left out of mine.

VT, as to your comment about the writers burying themselves under this line: "disastrous first contact with the klingons led to decades of war" (picard, tng ep "first contact" ), I have one potentially huge spoiler which, if correct, could really mess with the audiences' (trekkies' and non-trekkies') minds... The reason we didn't see a disasterous first contact with the Klingons was because of this temporal cold war, which changed historical events enough to force a totally different kind of encounter, and Archer and the NX-01 will have to fix the timeline by the end of the series even by erasing their actions from history, thus leaving the NX-01 out of the big Trek legends from the time of Kirk on. I can't imagine any other way to repair that huge rift the writers put in the Trek canon besides my conjecture.

Bakula has his moments, which is what makes him fun to watch, but he also lags into mediocrity like what you saw in "Broken Bow", which is still not that bad work, just his bottom of the barrel acting style where everything should be reacted to with the same wimpy, somewhat bland responses.

That theme song doesn't work for me either, but I totally don't get that "Patch Adams" reference.

BC3, no, it's a totally different "soft rock/ ballad piece of crap" themesong from the trailer. Seriously.

MMs would be nice, I think there may be hope there of toys like that if we press the issue. If Hasbro gets the Trek license (anything is possible), they could even actually be MMs!

LTBasker
09-28-2001, 11:46 AM
SWAFMAN....that has got to be the most pointless thing I have ever read, lol. So... he didn't like Voyager, or DS9, and he can't get the names right, all he cares about is what happens to qoute: "the tommy lee jones character" during the lotion rubbing scene, and how qoute: "Asher" looks when he's making his captain's log AND he likes Buffy the Vampire Slayer AND Babe. Now.. which part is the most scary? :D :p :eek:

vulcantouch
09-28-2001, 04:35 PM
bc3: "Please don't tell me"
-ok ;)

jt: "I totally don't get that 'Patch Adams' reference"
-"i'm just telling you what i heard (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/003277.html)" -gap girl adam sandler (http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/8075/snl.html) :D
btw, i admire your story-gutting conJecTure ;)
vt
np: pilot, "magic"

JediTricks
09-29-2001, 11:21 AM
SON OF A P'TAGH! :mad: It IS from Patch Adams, and it's even sung by Rod Stewart in that film!!! What the hell was Paramount thinking?!? "Let's take a song from a recent movie and get a sound-alike to rerecord it with slightly less talent as the instrumentals" Here's the Amazon.com listing for the soundtrack to Patch Adams (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000GBRH/qid=1001779288/sr=2-4/ref=sr_8_3_4/002-3019926-2574450) which contains a RealAudio clip of the song (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000GBRH001001/002-3019926-2574450) from that movie!!! This is unbelievable! If it wasn't for that upswingy piano and rhythm guitar (at least, that's what I think it is), this would be identical! What a freakin' rip off! They couldn't even be original here?!? God, it seems like nothing about this show is even SLIGHTLY original! Just as insulting as that is the fact that it's not even an unknown song from the Patch Adams soundtrack, it was a radio hit single for Rod Stewart off of the Patch Adams soundtrack and was also apparently a big hit for Christian/Country singer Susan Ashton a year later ('99)! If you've ever seen Louis Black doing comedy (for example, on The Daily Show), that's how I feel inside right now, (metaphorically) shaking and yelling with exasperation!!! (that's why there are so many exclamation marks in this paragraph!!! ;)) It's not even a bad song IMO, both Stewart and Ashton do it credit (though Ashton's is a bit too straight-forward for my tastes - RealAudio clip from the single (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00000I6EF001001/002-3019926-2574450), though it was originally on one of her albums, it's just that the album listing didn't have a clip of her version and this one did), but it's not original and it's not Trek!

BTW, did you ever see my gutting of Qui-Gon Jinn, the Midichlorians, and Anakin's parentage? Let's just say that I don't exactly take it as it's shoveled there either. ;) If there's something I don't like, I'll run it around in my mind and push all the seams until I find a small loophole and force conjecture through it. Midichlorians aren't what make us communicate with the Force, QGJ got that all wrong like the way people thought that bleedings could heal insanity 800 years ago, midichlorians are merely a byproduct of the Force, and the more Force talent you have, the more they show up in your bloodstream (like white bloodcells when you're sick), though some folks may not have them and still have connections to the Force. QGJ believes so hard in this that he wants to make sure the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force occurs, knocks up some random slave in the outer rim territories of the galaxy, clouds her mind, comes back and gets a new padawan which occupies his time till he is sent to Naboo. He realizes that this is his big chance to see his son, the boy of the prophecy, so he sabotages the hyperdrive on the Queen's ship, has it land near where his slave woman was last headed, and lets the Force guide him to the boy. ;) (that's the "short" version. ;))

jeddah
09-30-2001, 11:47 AM
I'll remind you of those (Ent') comments in a few years time ;)

jeddah

vulcantouch
10-03-2001, 11:59 PM
this (http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/Forum1/HTML/003296.html) ;)
guess who who bakula's brow-furrowing, overearnestness reminds me of? DUBYA! :p
np: moonraker

JediTricks
10-04-2001, 08:23 AM
I would not be interested in petitioning to have Paramount change the song, that's silly.

Tonight's ep was pretty average stuff already, and after hearing Rod Stewart's version, Russell Watson's is somewhat inferior.
"So take your Vulcan cynicism and bury it..." (heh heh, poor Bakula totally didn't deliver on that line ;))

vulcantouch
10-04-2001, 11:11 PM
. . .is just sublimated frustration on the part of the male crewmembers over not having made "first contact" w/tpol ;)

SWAFMAN
10-05-2001, 12:03 AM
:D

JediTricks
10-05-2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by vulcantouch
. . .is just sublimated frustration on the part of the male crewmembers over not having made "first contact" w/tpol ;) Someone sent me snippits from actress Jolene "T'pol" Blalock's 2 interviews in Maxim magazine along with links to some of the accompanying pics (no I won't be reposting them) and it seems like she's the type to have "first contact" with all the male crewmembers, as well as looking like an implanted (and I don't mean in a TNG Borg way, I mean in a VOY Borg way ;)) stripper from the San Fernando Valley sector of space.

good shot jansen
10-05-2001, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
(no I won't be reposting them)

:mad:

JediTricks
10-06-2001, 10:12 AM
Sorry GSJ, it's the type of thing that would get me removed from the site though. I'm sure you could find maximonline.com if you tried though.

LTBasker
10-07-2001, 09:20 AM
Hmm, I've seen'em... and I'll bet ya it's photoshoots like that for her that got Berman to hire her. :p :D

britcit3
10-17-2001, 02:28 PM
So, not withstanding the theme tune, how is Enterprise shaping up?

Any interesting storylines, temporal guest stars or references in the last couple of week?

Eager.

BC3

vulcantouch
10-17-2001, 11:16 PM
. . .but so far've only found this (http://www.trekenterprise.com/episodes.shtml), in which the review's as long as the synopsis. anyhoo, we just saw klingons in the ep which just aired; not only that, they were ridin around in a d-7 battlewagon which looks exactly like the one in the first Movie- talk about temporal guest stars! are we supposed to believe their ship designs don't change for 100 years?? :confused: also, i think the klingon captain was the same guy who played kabok, the klingon who seized kasidy yates' ship in ds9's "way of the warrior".
another fact which you may not've heard is that the show is in letterbox format, no doubt in anticipation of the planned changeover to widescreen hdtv in a few years-
vt

britcit3
10-22-2001, 02:10 PM
I have recently been bidding for a VCD of Enterprise.

Before my auction had even ended, I was contacted by a seller telling me that I could buy the CD for 12. I nearly agreed, presuming the seller to be the same one that had auction.

However, at the last moment, I stopped as I realised that it was a different seller and I could easily have been ripped off. To the best of my knowledge, I did not get to the stage where I gave the presumed bogus seller my details.

Cut to today......

Arrive home from work to find an envelope with 2 CD's in - no letter included and the post mark is Dumfries (in Scotland).

Now, I have not paid for anything and I have not given my address to any sellers - anybody any ideas how I have ended up with the Enterprise VCD's?

Also, as the file size is huge Windows media player is stuggling playing the CD (it is really jolty) - anybody any ideas on how to get a smoother playback? (it does not play on my DVD).

Any ideas would be appreciated.

BC3

britcit3
01-08-2002, 01:46 AM
Enterprise started on UK Sky TV last night - Hurray!! (did you see it, Jeddah?).

Really enjoyed it - thought that it really managed to capture the pioneering spirit of original Trek.

Those temporal baddies have got to be Romulans (had very square shoulder pads - so it's either the Romulans or somebody from Dynasty/Dallas).

Also loved the cameo from James Cromwell.

Cheers

BC3

jeddah
01-08-2002, 12:37 PM
I just spent ages typing a reply, get an error message about too many smilies (whatever!) and then when i come back, none of my message is here.

No, BC3, our landlord is of the Bas___d persuasion and fobids the use of dishes. When we move we'll get Sky. Channel 4 will be broadcasting it in Autumn, so I'll get it then. At least Channel 4 don't toss up the scheduling like BBC2, even if there are adverts. :) (smiley #1)

JT, speaking of tossing up the schedules, are you back on shed with Farscape? We have only one more episode of Season 3 and I am very very pleased about the way things seem to be going about a certain character :) ;) (smiley #3)

jeddah
(copied this to his scrap buffer) :frus: (smiley #4)

JediTricks
01-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Sorry about the smilie filter issue, I've voiced my support of you and VT in the How Do I section.

As for Farscape, they start again this Friday!!! Is it my imagination, or are you actually AHEAD of me now?:crazed:

jeddah
01-09-2002, 12:48 PM
.. yeah, we get all the new stuff :rolleyes:

I couldn't b'lieve my eyes when I saw the listings saying last Tuesday night's was the penultimate episode. Like I said, I bet they've missed a few of the adult episodes tho'. :frus:

At least you're starting up again, let me know what episode you're up to so I can tell how many ahead we are (to make myself feel good :p)

Can I marry Galadriel Blanchett, please ? :D

:)

jeddah
full allowance used

vulcantouch
01-09-2002, 09:42 PM
i recall seeing patrick stewart on some talkshow at the end of tng's fifth season, when he referred to "inner light" as that season's "penultimate" episode- by which i thought he meant "best-written" :rolleyes:

JediTricks
01-12-2002, 07:17 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sci-Fi Channel in their infinite whizzdumb postponed Farscape till March, MARCH DANGIT!

The last ep we got was the crew FINALLY getting back together and the surviving Crichton getting the other's message about chasing after Scorpi.