PDA

View Full Version : Jawa Juice or Java Juice

pthfnder89
06-04-2002, 03:51 PM
I was hoping that someone who has read the novel could answer a question for me.

When Obi-Wan is in Dexs Diner, does the waitress droid FLO ask him if he wants Jawa Juice or Java Juice. I've seen the movie several times but I can't tell.

Java Juice (as in another name for coffee) would be a little silly, but no big deal. But please tell me it isn't something "cutesy" like Jawa Juice.

Beast
06-04-2002, 04:06 PM
I believe she says, "Juri Juice"...which has previously been established with some EU, and the Decipher Customizable Card Game. Here is the card, that says what it is. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
06-04-2002, 04:11 PM
in the book it's actually something completely different... i can't remember it now, but i think it starts with an "s"

Beast
06-04-2002, 04:20 PM
In the book, the droid asks Obi-Wan: "You want a cup of ardees?" I guess I will stick with Juri Juice, until the DVD comes out and we can check out the closed captioning/subtitles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

master jedi
06-04-2002, 05:07 PM
It sounds like she says Jawa Juice to me.

darthvyn
06-04-2002, 05:09 PM
...or ends with an "s," yeah, ends with an "s"

pthfnder89
06-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
In the book, the droid asks Obi-Wan: "You want a cup of ardees?" I guess I will stick with Juri Juice, until the DVD comes out and we can check out the closed captioning/subtitles. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ok, I can live with Juri Juice(although it didn't quite sound like that to me; I'll pretend:)) particularly since I've heard of that in the EU.

Bosskman
06-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Juri Juice is the stuff that Kabe is always after Muftak to buy for her. It gets her real drunk and he doesn't like to get if for her but she's always pestering him about it. That waitress droid's voice is annoying.

Bosskman
06-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Why would anyone want a cup of something called Jawa Juice? Sounds positively putrifying to me.

darthvyn
06-04-2002, 09:45 PM
it's not any of that... it's

JUICY JUICE!!!

y'know, it's 100% juice.

that's almost a haiku...

Jargo
06-05-2002, 08:05 AM
The print of the movie I saw she definately said "Y'want Ardees?" Which I took to be the equivelent of Java. I remembered it because I'd read that scene in the shooting script and thought it was poopy that she asked. Considering that Obi is a friend of Dex's she should have just brought it over and it should have been the human waitress. What was the human waitress there for if not to serve? I could see the droid delivering orders to tables but the human should have taken the orders surely? She's pictured in the visual dictionary with an electronic order taking device attached to her waist. The droid was pretty pointless really and distracting. But it was definately Ardees she said. In the movie that is. :)

DarthMaulSithLord
06-05-2002, 11:21 AM
I heard Jawa Juice.

:)

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Jargo, there is no way she said "ardees" in the movie. I saw it seven times. She definately said something like "Jawa Juice." In the book it's "ardees."

The human waitress and the droid were both waitresses. Most diners I go to have more than one.

pthfnder89
06-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Ok, I've watched a bootleg AVI about 4 times since I asked this and unfortunately I'm convinced she says Jawa Juice. Argh, that's pretty stupid considering Jawas shouldn't even be seen on other planets, any more than Sandpeople should. :rolleyes:Oh well.

saladin
06-05-2002, 02:27 PM
i thought it was Java my self, since it supposed to look like and old dinner so they serve something like we would.

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 03:48 PM
I wonder what part of the Jawa the juice comes from.

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2002, 03:58 PM
Jawa Juice. Ewwww! Maybe they get it from those glowing eyes.

"Jawa Juice, for that glowing appearance you demand. Squeezed fresh daily."

I'd rather believe it's Java Juice, but where did they get ardees from? They're totally different between the novel and movie. Maybe the waitress meant "Wouldn't you rather eat at Hardee's?" Like it's a lot cleaner than Dex's dump.

2-1B
06-05-2002, 04:23 PM
Hardee's is a filthy establishment for the most part. :D

Jargo, I wonder how late in production the FLO droid was added? Shortly after the movie was released, I read a report (TFN) that confirmed - as does the visual dictionary - the female was originally the waitress. Even an old Insider I was looking thru recently had a pic of her. Seems she was scrapped in favor of a digital creation. :(

"Someone ta see ya honey! Jedi by the looks of 'im!"

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 05:40 PM
I always heard Juri juice, significant differences in the way Jawa/Java and Juri are pronounced and i know I heard "ri".

Maybe it was originally "jawa juice" but they had to go to court for slaughtering innocent Jawas and so they just juiced the jury so they couldn't be found guilt but to hide it they used an 'i' instead of a 'y'. :eek:

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 05:48 PM
If it was Juri Juice, then Obi Wan must have been hammered by the time he left Dex's. Maybe that will be a cut scene on the DVD: Obi gettin' loaded and harassing that other waitress. Maybe that's why she looked so disheveld over at the counter. She was afraid of Obi's constant advances after consuming the Juri Juice. I think FLO had something to do with it: Serve up the Juri Juice so the customers all get drunk and hit on the human waitress. All tips now go to FLO. A plan fiendishly clever in its intricacies.....

Jedi Clint
06-05-2002, 07:53 PM
I vote for "juri". I've heard that word in SW related media before.

yukface27
06-06-2002, 01:00 AM
What, Juri, Jawa? I distinctively heard Vodka Tonic. Man, you guys gotta start paying a little more attention.

Jargo
06-06-2002, 07:41 AM
I've never even seen the book let alone read it. The movie I watched, Flo rolled delivers her "someone to see ya honey" line, Dex sticks his head out and greets Obi. Flo then asks Obi "Y' want ardees?" and Obi says Yes please or thank you. Flo then rolls off to the counter to get it and Dex comes out from the kitchen.
Let's not forget that it's a diner not a bar. Why would they be serving an alcoholic drink in a diner? Traditionally diners serve coffee don't they? And it was based on a fifties diner. Maybe I'm taking this a little too seriously but I definately DEFINATELY heard Ardees not java or Juri or Jawa juice of any description.

Let's not also forget that the original release of the original movie also had minor dialogue differences on it's release. The throwaway dialogue filler of the stormtroopers was altered several times and different in different prints. It's possible that some prints had different dialogue but doubtful.

darthvyn
06-06-2002, 10:25 AM
jarg, was it a digital? they can update the digital version over the 'net. when did you see it with this line in it?

Bosskman
06-06-2002, 12:32 PM
It must be a difference in the films Jargo. I remember going in the first time, expecting to hear "ardees" and when she said "Jawa Juice" I cringed. I hope it's "ardees" on the DVD. "Jawa Juice" sounds both stupid and disgusting. The way she says it is so annoying too. She sounds like a real skank!

2-1B
06-06-2002, 01:22 PM
"Jawa" could have more than one meaning . . . we've seen this before.

Jargo, I bet it was a different print, because I clearly hear "cup of" and then I believe she said Jawa Juice. But she definitely said "cup of _____ juice" :)

mrmiller
06-06-2002, 01:38 PM
yes. I herd something like ___ Juice each of the 3 time I had seen it- all the same theater, not digital. I bet is a digital difference.

Jargo
06-06-2002, 03:16 PM
No it was a regular non digital projection. Like I say, because I'd read the shooting script I was reciting parts of the script to myself as they were spoken on screen, If Flo had said something other than the lines I was familiar with I would have noted it. maybe I am mistaken, maybe this is one of those freaky times when you convince yourself you saw/heard something and it just isn't there. But I do have batlike hearing. I can't see three feet in front of me but I can hear a whisper at thirty feet.
Perhaps this is a question for the Jedi Council to answer...... *giggles manically* :crazed:

2-1B
06-07-2002, 05:06 AM
Jargo, is that shooting script available at retail? I've looked in alot of places around here and cannot find it. I bought the illustrated TPM script right around it's release . . . thanks and have a cup of Jawa Juice or Ardees or whatever the hell it was on me! :D