PDA

View Full Version : Music that makes us think of Star Wars

scruffziller
06-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Anytime I hear a BeeGees tune I think of ANH anytime they play Flock of Seagulls,Culture Club, etc. any of those early 80s one hit wonders I think of ESB and ROTJ. And anytime I hears Whiskey in the Jar from Metallica I think EPS 1, haven't got one for AOTC yet.

scruffziller
06-07-2002, 03:44 PM
Come on you guys you gotta have some music connection to those times.

QLD
06-08-2002, 01:34 PM
Hmmm.....no, I don't really relate songs other than SW songs, and the Meco song to the movies. When I hear songs, I tend to recall the trends of that time period more so that the movies I was watching at the time.

Exhaust Port
06-08-2002, 02:25 PM
With the SW music being such a big part of the movies it's hard to consider a replacement. Unless I hear SW music I don't think of those movies, at least musically.

On the other hand there are plenty of other memories, smells, sights that bring back memories. Everytime I smell cheap plastic I think of wearing my Stormtrooper halloween costume. Everytime I go to the local mall I think of standing in line to see RotJ. Every x-mas I put up SW ornaments that I handmade after seeing SW for the first time. I always have flashes of my childhood everytime I take them out of the box.

Strange how the brain works.

LTBasker
06-08-2002, 03:12 PM
Whenever I hear the music when the 20th Century Fox logo comes up I think of SW music.

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 03:39 PM
I just remeber because of the time period associated with it. It's more than just the SW movies I remember.

2-1B
06-08-2002, 04:37 PM
I know what you mean by associating music with movies in that way. During Spring '99 while anticipating TPM's release it seems the only music I blasted in the car was Springsteen and Motley Crue. So yeah, whenever I hear some of those tunes now, I think of TPM. :D And there are other periods in my life that I keep "theme songs" to.

AOTC? Not as much yet, although I played the hell out of the rereleased No More Tears album by Ozzy, so I have that going for me . . .

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 05:54 PM
I think now for myself I was listening to alot of Jamiroquai, Emergency on Planet Earth and Return of the Space Cowboy albums, very appropriate!:D For AOTC that is.

QLD
06-08-2002, 05:56 PM
Actually, lately, I have just been listening to lots of 80's music since we got a new 80's channel in Atlanta.

scruffziller
06-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Actually, lately, I have just been listening to lots of 80's music since we got a new 80's channel in Atlanta.
Is any of the music taking you back to when ESB and ROTJ were out.

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 08:36 PM
When I listen to bands like Big Country, Eurythmics and Proclaimers it reminds me of those last POTF days of 1986.

Music from Grease, Staying Alive and Flashdance are pretty much the only songs that take me back to the ANH and ESB days.

The Fatboy Slim song, Rockefeller Skank, makes me think of TPM for some reason.

Nothing yet for AOTC, probably because I've really only been listening to the soundtrack.

QLD
06-08-2002, 08:55 PM
Well, it reminds me of the period it was out, but not the movie directly. They have a great variety, and it is nice.

scruffziller
12-19-2005, 03:19 PM

I just downloaded Gary Numan's CARS.

And man oh man is it filling my head of nostalgia of when I went to see ESB!!!! Also it reminds me of when I had Christmas at my Grandma's house when I got all of those ESB figures!!!!:thumbsup:

Ji'dai
12-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I don't associate popular music with Star Wars. However, other classical compositions, especially those with full-blown romantic scores, give me the same chills that Williams' scores do.

Long before John Williams introduced a choral opus into the Star Wars pantheon for Episode I (Duel of the Fates), I thought other choral works would fit nicely into Star Wars:

Carl Orff's "O Fortuna," from his opera Carmina Burana, is a stirring choral piece that was used to great effect in John Boorman's Excalibur, about the Arthurian legends.

Mozart's last composition, "Requiem, K.626," is a tour-de-force that will inspire a range of emotions. A requiem is basically a mass for the dead, but this one is an amazing piece or work. Chances are you've already heard part of it: verse no. 2, "Dies Irae (Day of Wrath)" was used in the opening sequence of X-Men 2 during Nightcrawler's assassination attempt on the president. I'd give the rest of the composition a serious ear because it is simply a beautiful piece of music.

Other classical compositions that can be associated with Star Wars include Beethoven's 3rd Symphony, the "Eroica," and Richard Strauss' "Also sprach Zarathusta."

"Eroica" is an early romantic piece that follows the rise and fall of a hero - that is, the music tells a story. My favorite movement of "Eroica" is the second, a haunting piece that found its way into a memorable episode of the TV show Space: Above and Beyond.

Everyone has probably heard "Also sprach Zarathusta" even if you didn't know what it was called. It famously appeared in 2001: A Space Odyssey and then in countless parodies in TV and movies ever since.

bobafrett
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM
The following song makes me think of a Musical version of the final battle scene between Obi wan and Ani/Vader just after Obi Wan cuts Vaders legs and arm off. If you listen to the version on there album "the other side" which is acustic (sp?) Asleep is the song on "the other side". Awake is the same song with extra lyrics and a much harder sound.

Also, if you listen to "Asleep" there is a breathing sound at the end of the song that reminds me of Vader, so it is wicked everytime I listen to the song.

Asleep- Godsmack

Ani/Vader to Obi: Wait a minute.
Can't you see what this pain has done to me
I'm alive but I'm slippin'.
What you see I cannot see and maybe you'll think before you speak

Ani thinking about Padme as he lays dimembered: I'm alive for you.
I'm awake because of you
I'm alive told you.
I'm awake midi-chlorians: swallowing you

Ani/Vader to Obi: Take a second.
Turn your back on me and make believe
Obi Wan to Ani/Vader: It's safe to say you're never alive.
A big part of you has died and by the way, I hope you're satisfied

Ani thinking about Padme: I'm alive for you.
I'm awake because of you
I'm alive told you.

Ani thinking about Padme: I'm alive for you.
I'm awake because of you
I'm alive told you.

Lyrics to Awake, just about the same, but when you listen to that version, you lose the whole feel of the "Musical" ROTS
I'm alive and still kickin'.
What you see I can't see and maybe
you'll think before you speak.

I'm alive for you.
I'm awake because of you.
I'm alive I told you.
I'm awake swallowing you

Take another second.
Turn your back on me and make believe that
you're always happy.
It's safe to say you're never alive.
A big part of you has died and by the way,
I hope you're satisfied.

(Chorus)

Tearing it back unveiling me.
Taking a step back so I can breathe.
Hear the silence about to break.

Rocketboy
12-21-2005, 04:33 PM
There are a few Godsmack songs that remind me of Star Wars.
"Awake" is a good one.
I've always though "Bad Religon" could be a song about Vader.

Get back

Can you feel Im not like you anymore.
I cant see,
I cant breathe.
See you quiver like the dogs on the street,
Looking down on as I beat you.
Oh, its a bad religion,
From a broken nation.
Its a contradiction,
And I cant take it anymore, yeah.
Whos ta say I wont like you anyway?
Take a deep breath,
Im alive.
Can you hear me,
Im alive inside you.
Agony creeps up behind you.
Oh, Its a bad religion (Bad religion)
From a broken nation (A broken nation)
Its a contradiction,
And I cant take it any f***ing more
Its a bad religion (bad religion, bad religion, bad religion)
From a broken nation (Broken nation)
Its a contradiction.
Yeah.
Can you feel it?
I gotta live with it everyday
And I cant take the pressure.
Im goin' insane,
Now go away

Go away

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
There are two that come to mind right now.

Metallica's version of "No Leaf Clover" with the orchestra has a very similar sound at times to John Williams' Raiders desert chase song (with the truck holding the Ark), which is close to some of his SW stuff, of course.

I was showing my students the animated Animal Farm video, and there's a part where the animals are throwing away and destroying all the human things. The song in the background sounds a lot like the Jawa theme from ANH (I think it's called "The Little People Work" or something).

Bel-Cam Jos
01-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Yesterday I picked up a new Meco Star Wars CD called "Music Inspired by Star Wars." Certainly not a very original title, but then Meco was never original (one of the early samplers of existing music). It has a 2005 copyright, and the cover shows "Star Wars I" through "Star Wars IV" (not the actual movie titles, just the Roman numerals). Not everything is disco in its sound, and it's actually a decent listen. The "Imperial Theme" is virtually identical to his version from "SW and Other Galactic Funk," aside from some add-ons at the very end of the song. "Boogie Wookiee" is as bad as it sounds, but the others aren't bad. Consider checking it out. Or not. :o

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I retract my earlier statements. I listened to the new Meco CD again, and it's getting annoying, especially the "Star Wars Party" one. Perhaps it is wiser to avoid it and save yourself the audio agony.

scruffziller
01-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I retract my earlier statements. I listened to the new Meco CD again, and it's getting annoying, especially the "Star Wars Party" one. Perhaps it is wiser to avoid it and save yourself the audio agony.

Is that the guy who did the original SW Disco?

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Is that the guy who did the original SW Disco?Yep.

EXcept I never can remember if it's spelled "Meco" or "MECO." At least it's better than his real name, Thaddeus Algonquin de la Cinquenta III. :p

Sentinel18725
01-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I actually relate Everclear to the Star Wars music. It's probably the line about the "Star Wars poster on the bedroom door".

Mad Slanted Powers
01-21-2006, 04:28 PM
I can't think of any music that makes me think of Star Wars in the way that is suggested in this thread, but there are songs with Star Wars references that I like. Back in 1999, I bought Soul Coughing's El Oso. The opening track "Rolling" has the line "gonna slip into the field like Han Solo". Also, the track "Monster Man" has the line "dumber than a box of rocks". At the time, I had just been reading the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin, and that phrase was used to describe Gamorreans.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2006, 12:29 PM
(Sorry if mentioning this song title gets it stuck in people's heads)
I was listening to the radio recently and "Run Around" by Blues Traveler has a lyric
"...And shake me and my confidence
About a great many things..."
where the second line stresses the last three words like the Emperor does in ROJ here
"You will find it is you who are mistaken, about a great, man-y, thinGGs."

Bel-Cam Jos
02-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Today on the radio the Tears For Fears song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (which could be sung to an emperor, hmm?) the line about "lack of vision" made me think of ol' Palpy.

scruffziller
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Today on the radio the Tears For Fears song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (which could be sung to an emperor, hmm?) the line about "lack of vision" made me think of ol' Palpy.

YEA!!!!!!!:D :thumbsup:

I too have had that connection.lol

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Well, along that line of reasoning, how about "Greed" by Fugazi:

You wanted everything
You needed everything
You wanted everything
You needed everything
Everything is
Everything is
Greed

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Well, along that line of reasoning, how about "Greed" by Fugazi:

You wanted everything
You needed everything
You wanted everything
You needed everything
Everything is
Everything is
GreedIs that like Yoda's "Everything! " line from TPM?

Whenever I hear Padme's declaration of love to Anakin in AOTC, I am reminded of Savage Garden's "Truly, Madly, Deeply."

Be everything that you need.
I'll love you more with every breath
Truly madly deeply do... Wonder if they stood on a mountain or bathed in a sea for their honeymoon... :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
All I know is that there is a fine line between love and insanity.

"Crazy For You"
"Love Her Madly"

JEDIpartner
02-22-2007, 04:48 PM
"Baby Hit Me One More Time". :o

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2007, 10:48 AM
For some unknown reason, some of the radio stations have been playing more Heart songs (they doing a reunion tour or something?), and in "Alone," there's a line I often mishear:

"And the night goes by so very slow,
Oh I hope that it won't end though.
Alone."

as...

"Oh I hope that it won't Endor."

Makes no grammatical sense, but it "makes [me] think of Star Wars."

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, checking out the SSG New News items, there's a "new" Star Wars music collection. I'm so starved for any SW music, I might actually get this re-pack. :addict:

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Perhaps a musical collaboration between threads should occur. Only one Star Wars music thread can there be; no more, no less.

scruffziller
02-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Yes, but keep my title.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I had on the Superman soundtrack the other day; man, does it sound a lot like ESB. Especially the Cloud City and Dagobah music. Mr. Williams sure knows how to connect his themes and movie scenery. :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
I watched Amistad, released in 1997, the other day. Quite a few times the serious parts had similar sounds to "Duel of the Fates," or more of "Battle of the Heroes" and "Anakin's Dark Deeds," which would've been recorded around 1998-2005ish.