PDA

View Full Version : HASBRO SAGA: Concept Stormtrooper Wins Hasbro Fan Choice Poll #4

Darth Annexis
06-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Check out the story behind this one:

http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=311

I must say that I am truely disapointed with the results. As I am with all the polls that Hasbro has posted lately. Of the five figures offered I would have been happy with General Rieekan, Imperial Dignitary, or Stormtrooper (McQuarrie Concept Design) But I think that it sucks that Hasbro has place these figures all in the same poll. We need an Imperial Dignitary, We need the General Rieekan...and it is cool to have concept figures too....so why did they put them all together...

We need Hasbro to take these results and make the Storm Trooper...then in the next poll put the Imperial Dignitary back in the vote...

Freedom
06-04-2002, 09:38 PM
Who in their right mind voted for the Concept Stormtrooper?

Come on it should have been between General Rieekan or The Imperial Dignatary.

mylow thehutt
06-04-2002, 09:39 PM
HMMMM.....? were the votes counted in Flordia?LOL. I demand a recount!! just kidding I'm glad he won just a littel nervous to see what his goofy gimik is:(

darth chuck
06-04-2002, 09:57 PM
ok, I've been out of the loop for a while now, so pardon my complete ignorance in this matter. But, just exactly what the heck is a "concept stormtrooper"? Has anyone seen any illustrations or photos?

Beast
06-04-2002, 10:01 PM
Darth Chuck, check the link in the first post. It leads you to a news story from the front page that has the Ralph McQuerrie concept artwork for the Stormie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darth chuck
06-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Oops, just found the link! I remember thinking how cool stormtroopers with light sabers would be when I first saw it years ago. Still, I'm not an EU fan and would much rather have seen them finish off the vintage collection. oh, well.

Dryanta
06-04-2002, 10:08 PM
I really am confused as to how this character won??!!
We have all been asking for all the others so long and they all get stuck in the same poll against something no one really asked for.And It wins.I really wonder about the integrity of these polls.I have ever since the Ephont Mon poll.
He announced monthes before that.Then all of a sudden he's in a poll he wins.I thinks it's rigged so we think they are listening to us.Just a guess.Support the petitions!!!:)

mark2d2
06-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda bummed. I guess I do not think like most of the other fans. This is the third poll in a row where I've been left scratching my head going, "Say what? Everybody really wants that?!"

I'm not saying the results are suspect, just that I wish everybody out there would wake up (Dang It!) and fall in line with my way of thinking! Had they, we'd have both R1-G4 and a way cool Imperial Dignitary. (Funny, I can't remember who it was that I once so deperately desired for the other poll.)

At any rate, thus far, only the Duro has been truly satisfying.

SuperBattleDroid88
06-04-2002, 11:26 PM
:D :D :D :D I voted for him and I am proud!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Lord Tenebrous
06-04-2002, 11:28 PM
Well, after monkey-faced Leia all these years, I guess we can afford a monkey-faced Stormtrooper. ;) My wish list from this fiasco:

* Removeable helmet - head able to fit the Stormtrooper helmet with accessory set.

* White lightsaber blade more like a blast effect, forming over the hilt, not a peg.

* Shield should come with a small underneath clip to hold an imperial blaster (also included).

* Articulated like Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Duel)

* Rieeken and Dignitary should be made within two years.

bigbarada
06-04-2002, 11:35 PM
I think Rieekan and the Dignitary fared well enough on the poll to be made by Hasbro. Look at Teemto Pangalies, Eeth Koth and some other character that I don't remember; all fan choice poll losers, all made within two years of losing.

farlow78
06-05-2002, 12:09 AM
I voted Concept Stormtrooper. I LOVE stormtroopers. Concept or not they rock. And I love the idea of a stormtrooper with a light saber. But it better be one with a hilt and not just a blade (which I can't imagine them not having a hilt anyways, its just the picture doesnt show much of a hilt at all).

I'm hoping for a white blade or even red. Maybe even black. And a black hilt definetely. I like the shield idea as well. And a removable helmet is also something I would like.

misthunter210
06-05-2002, 01:39 AM
i dont like this one really because you cant really make a diaroma with it. I would like to have non concept EU. Like make another Shadows of the Empire set with Guri and LE-B02D9, and the Virago.

SithDroid
06-05-2002, 01:57 AM
I voted for the Concept Stormtrooper for a couple of reasons.

1. Imperial Dignitary and Rieeken will eventually get made anyway.

2. By the Concept Stormtrooper winning it shows Hasbro that we are interested in the Concept figures and can hope to see others get made.

tagmac
06-05-2002, 02:07 AM
Hasbro "claims" the poll went "down to the wire," yet a see a 10% difference between the Garbage trooper and the worthy Reikkan figures. Seems to me this poll was rigged all along. All the previous EU figures have generated little interest, and to me, this one was unneccesary. "Concept" means just that - not the final product. We want figures from the movies....not more of this junk being made in place of figures who are truly in demand.

Sidiously Darth
06-05-2002, 02:18 AM
Boo! Hiss! Angry mob throws rotten tomatos!

Seriously though, let me propose a "What if?"

What if Gen. Rieekan & Imp. Dig. never get made now? I'm sure the possibility is slim but not unthinkable... at least by Hasbro standards. How will most of you feel being stuck w/ a lightsaber wielding stormtrooper but not actual role characters?

I myself will be rather miffed, if this comes to pass.:frus:

saladin
06-05-2002, 02:27 AM
i love al troopers so i voted for concept, i wopuld like to see a Imp. Dig., but it'll will get made sooner or later.

mark2d2
06-05-2002, 02:29 AM
Wow! I'm really sort of surprised. It appears that most everybody else is as unexcited about this figure as I am . . .

Seriously, I just don't get it. Just take a commtech stormtrooper and give him an extra saber ---- end of story. This one seems like a real waste.

By the way, as of yet NONE of the Losers from the past polls that I wanted to win have been made into figures ---- so, everybody's "Oh, they'll be made anyway..." has no real basis in fact. And wishful thinking is just that.

Beast
06-05-2002, 02:33 AM
If they really wanted to do a unique Stromtrooper in the poll. They should have used the "Imperial Spacetroopers" that are seen walking outside the death star in ANH as the falcon gets pulled in. They appear to have oxygen tanks on their back, with hoses running to their helmets. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Annexis
06-05-2002, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
Boo! Hiss! Angry mob throws rotten tomatos!

Seriously though, let me propose a "What if?"

What if Gen. Rieekan & Imp. Dig. never get made now? I'm sure the possibility is slim but not unthinkable... at least by Hasbro standards. How will most of you feel being stuck w/ a lightsaber wielding stormtrooper but not actual role characters?

I myself will be rather miffed, if this comes to pass.:frus:

You mentioned that you need a cruise missile trooper....check your personal messages...

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 09:19 AM
I like the concept Stormy and I'm glad I voted for him. Though I wouldn't MIND a Rieekan & Imperial Dignitary sometime, but I'm sure they'll get made eventually. I bet the concept Stormy, on the other hand, would probably never get made if it had lost.

Now I want a concept Vader and concept Luke w/ breathing mask from that famous McQuarrie painting. :happy:

SNAYSON
06-05-2002, 11:10 AM
i voted for the concept stormtrooper! and i am happy! Rieekan and the dignitary will come out anyway, so why should i vote for them.

billfremore
06-05-2002, 11:36 AM
Perhaps this could be the beginning of an entire concept figure line...

Concept vader
Concept Maul
Concept Chewie

Could be interesting :cool:

pthfnder89
06-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by billfremore
Perhaps this could be the beginning of an entire concept figure line...

Concept vader
Concept Maul
Concept Chewie

Could be interesting :cool:

Ugh, I hope not Concept Chewie. That thing was ugly as sin in the paintings.:rolleyes: The others would be sweet though.:)

As for the Stormie, I voted for him and I'm glad they're making him. Although hopefully they don't totally screw up the figure.

We all know there has been some tampering in the past with the Polls so it's not like there isn't a precedent, but honestly I hope the deluge of "This sucks! The poll was rigged, MY FIGURE should have won, etc..." doesn't continue for too long.

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 12:09 PM
The painting I mentioned above is this one, by the way. :)

billfremore
06-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

Ugh, I hope not Concept Chewie. That thing was ugly as sin in the paintings.:rolleyes:

Ahh c'mon, I think this chewie would make an awesome figure

sith_killer_99
06-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Um, didn't we already get a concept Maul....with another on it's way.

Not to mention:

Obi-Wan Snow (Concept)
Obi-Wan Jedi Training Gear (Concept)
Qui-Gon Jedi Training Gear (Concept)

I don't really like the "Concept EU" figures. I much prefer something from the novels (or GRAPHIC novels).

I just hope this thing has kick-butt articulation, something like the CT Stormtrooper, with Red Clone Trooper knee articulation, Swimming Jar-Jar ankle articulation, and swivel wrist joints!

BTW, JJB I also like the idea of Imperial Spacetroopers. They's probably turn out better than the EU Spacetrooper!:)

brentfett
06-05-2002, 12:25 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: How did this happen?

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 12:30 PM
Cold Weather Obi-Wan was from a canceled comic book actually.

Jedi Armor Obi-Wan was the only good concept figure out of the three, and if you want a Concept Stormtrooper just buy a Stormtrooper pack, 2 HD Anis and 4 SWAT team figures from one of those solider toy lines, that would give you lightsabers and shields for all 4 Stormtroopers and you'd have the concept one right there.

I agree with JJB, a Trooper that was actually in the movie would be much more interesting. Most likely this Trooper will be under articulated, pre-posed, and given a lack of features for it's accessories.

Aw heck, if you wanted a Stormtrooper they could've just made an even more detailed and articulated regular Stormtrooper, one that can actually hold it's blaster with both hands but also put the blaster in it's holster and stand neutrally also.

billfremore
06-05-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Um, didn't we already get a concept Maul....with another on it's way.

I was thinking more along the lines of this maul.
This would make a very interesting figure....

eliwankenobi
06-05-2002, 01:19 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :mad:

Yeah, just what we need - a character that didn't exist in the movies OR the comics or books! This isn't EU - it's NWU (Never-Was Universe). There was a reason why we didn't see these characters - because someone (GL) decided they weren't good enough!
Yay! Now I can look forward to using these in a display of..... Or a diorama of..... What?! Nothing!! Because they never existed!! :mad:

And on another note, curious how Reeiken and Imp. Dig. were neck and neck for the longest time and suddenly overnite the Not-Good-Enough-To-Be-Produced Stormie shot above the rest. Hmmmmmmm.....

More Hoth figures!!!

MisterPL
06-05-2002, 01:42 PM
I've always found Concept Art the purist, most authentic form of "Off-Screen" design a toy manufacturer can use. These designs might not have made it through the final phase of production, but they come from the same minds of those who created the designs that did. I'd rather see figures and vehicles based on art from the Lucasfilm Archives than from Joe Toydesigner.

For example, look at the pitiful Episode I "mini-rigs" Hasbro gave us. I'd prefer a Trade Federation mini-tank design that didn't make it into the film sooner than a lame toy design that wasn't even considered. Same goes with figures.

Hasbro will ALWAYS need to include popular main characters in at least one assortment every year. To keep new consumers happy, they NEED to put out someone like Darth Maul or a Stormtrooper. But to keep collectors from complaining "We've got him in this outfit already," Hasbro needs to go outside the films to do so. Enter concept art. I have little doubt that before Hasbro ceases production on this modern incarnation of Star Wars toys, we WILL see a McQuarrie Vader.

As far as the McQuarrie Stormtrooper is concerned, I think this one makes the most sense for Hasbro to produce. Unlike its predecessors, this Fan Choice figure is army-builder friendly. I know I'll be buying more Concept Stormies than Amanamans or Duros!

Lman316
06-05-2002, 04:04 PM
I think everyone can guess my opinion of the situation by looking at the first part of my signature :rolleyes:.

End :).

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by billfremore

Ahh c'mon, I think this chewie would make an awesome figure

No thanks. I'll just put an Ewok on stilts instead. :)

WooHoo!!!! Time to rub it in! ;) Thanks to all of you who decided to take a stand and vote against those old men figures. We were vindicated by Hasbro and what ever kind of recount they did to take so long to announce the winner. What was so great is that the stormie just didn't win, he pulled the walkers right out from underneath Geritol Rieekan and the Metamucial Dignitary!

Ahh. Sweet victory at last.

OK, now remember, if you really hate the fact that the stormie won just leave 'em on the shelves for those of us who really wanted him made. Either that or renounce your vote and admit your folly to oppose the mighty concept stormie! Bwahahahahahahahah... :crazed:

Runobot
06-05-2002, 04:46 PM
Am I the only one that voted for the scout trooper?

Anyway, this does suck, the worst figure of the bunch, but I am an army builder so I will probably buy 8!

billfremore
06-05-2002, 04:50 PM
Nope I voted for the scout trooper too, I thought he came with a removable helmet, but Jar Jar informed me this was not the case.

I still think it would have been cool.

Rogue Leader
06-05-2002, 07:12 PM
I am very disappointed in the outcome of the latest vote. I would not have cared if either Rieekan or the Imperial Dignitary had won, but I am tired of the EU figures that Hasbro makes. I am a completist, but I am seriously started to rethink my collecting practices because I am not interested in purchasing a concept figure in the least. I feel that Hasbro should stick to making figures that actually had screen time in the 5 movies so far. There are still a lot of figures that have not been made yet that have been on collectors's lists for years. I also disagree with MisterPL. Hasbro does not need to venture outside of the realm of the films to come up with figures to produce. They have plenty of figures that need to be made that had screen time, even if it was as a background character in the cantina or Jabba's palace. Also, it is not guaranteed that the Dignitary or Rieekan will be made even though they lost the vote. I hope I am wrong and that both get made anyway.

joe-da
06-05-2002, 08:00 PM
Concept Stormtrooper won? A stormtrooper with a lightsaber? And perhaps a gungan shield?

How easy is that to customize? Even the laziest/least experienced customizer can do this, right? Maybe?

I voted for the Imperial Dignitary, but it was a tough choice between he and the good General. One of the other should have won.
But no....
Why? WHY?

I never met a Star Wars figure I didn't like..... until now.

Guess my "completist" days are over, with Jorg Sacul and Sketchtooper.

What I want to know is how many psychics we have on the board that "Know" GR and ID will be made...

Certain are you?

I don't begrudge anyone who voted for the odd Stormtrooper selection, if you really wanted one, but please don't say you "know" the others will be made.

They might not.

Maybe I'll have to break down and buy the Sketchtrooper so I can use him in place of Rieekan and the Imperial Dignitary (aka Harold Smith).

Sketchtrooper: "Prepare for ground assault"

Leia: "Uhh,,, General???? Is that you?"

aceguide
06-06-2002, 12:16 PM
BOOOOOO!!! here as well. I too would like to see more Hoth figures - it's lonely out here...

Forhekset
06-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Well, according to an "upcoming figure list" from a "reliable" source, the Imperial Dignitary is already in the works. You can take that info with a grain of salt, but what I do know is that without a poll, stuff like a concept Stormy would probably never, ever, ever get made. Characters like Rieekan or the Imperial Dignitary will get made. Look at how many losers from previous FC polls have been made.

Jonna
06-06-2002, 12:42 PM
Well, I actually think that this figure could be quite interesting if it is done right.