PDA

View Full Version : Any Star Wars fans like Rap?

Jedi Juice
06-05-2002, 12:12 AM
I personally prefer and enjoy rap music to punk/rock/ska, any of that other stuff. However, I do enjoy movie soundtracks (Star Wars :D ), Latin, and Jazz music. What do you listen to?

bigbarada
06-05-2002, 12:22 AM
Classical (John Williams, Mozart, Copeland, Tchaikovsky)
Country/Bluegrass (Tim McGraw, Ricky Skaggs, Alison Krauss, Johnny Cash)
Classic Rock (Led Zeppelin, CCR, The Who, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Pink Floyd)
some 80s Pop (Big Country, Eurythmics, Midnight Oil, Mr. Mister)

Not a fan of blues, jazz, hip-hop, rap or latin music. I do like a lot of Techno music, though.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 02:08 AM
I like basically anything that MTV DOESN'T play.

hango fett
06-05-2002, 07:53 AM
i enjoy rap. mostly eminem and ja rule...

Jonna
06-05-2002, 12:35 PM
The closest I have ever come to enjoying rap is one of the Beastie Boy songs that I heard years ago (I don't know the name). It just does nothing for me.

billfremore
06-05-2002, 12:42 PM
I'd have to say I like a little bit of everything.

I never take music style into account when I like a tune.

I love Pink Floyd stuff, Roger Waters solo stuff more so but on the flipside I've always enjoyed Tennessee Ernie Ford.

There's too much music out there to be enjoyed to simply limit myself to one genre.

any They Might be Giants fans out there?

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 01:13 PM
YEA! YEA! WHAT UP!!! DAWG!!!

QLD
06-05-2002, 01:49 PM
I love rap. Good rap that is.

Beastie Boys, Fat Boys, Heavy D, Grand Master Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Whodini, Public Enemy, Busta Rhymes, JJ Fad, Wil Smith, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Digital Underground, Tone Loc, NWA, it's all great stuff. Unfortunately, few rappers today can even come close to measuring up. I actually don't even believe that most "rap" today is even rap. To me, rap is music with a beat, that rhymes, and usually has a message or tells a story. Most of todays stuff is lucky to meet ONE of those requirements.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Is Vanilla Ice considered rap?

I'm a proud owner of his "Cool As Ice" movie.

"Drop the Zero and get with a Hero." words to live by. :)

Mandalorian Candidat
06-05-2002, 03:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of any particular rapper, except for the Beastie Boys. They don't play them often in Utah on the radio, however. :(

I also like Tone-Loc, some Snoop, and that one song by Sir Mix-a-lot, you know the one...

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Hmm, so is this like a "list your favorite bands/what type of music you're into" thread? I stick mostly to metal, classical, and techno. Some of my favorite bands/artists include:

KMFDM
Aphex Twin
Emperor
Satyricon
Meshuggah
Helmet
Johnny Cash
George Strait
Dark Tranquillity
Carcass
NIN
Down
C.O.C.
In Flames
Front Line Assembly
Morbid Angel
Opeth
Ministry
Pitch Shifter

Composers:

Scriabin
Mussorgsky
Liszt
Bernard Herrmann
Miklos Rozsa
John Williams
Chopin
Bach
Beethoven
Schumann
Prokofiev
Ravel
Jerry Goldsmith
Nino Rota
Tchaikovsky

Forhekset
06-05-2002, 03:49 PM
Oh yeah, and the Beastie Boys are cool as far as rap goes.

DarthBrandon
06-05-2002, 04:20 PM
I like it all, (Rap and Dance for the clubs),(Country and Jazz),( Rock for letting out frustration or working out),( R and B for the slow times with the wife), ( Classical for when I'm thinking) , anything that sounds good even military music.

Some artists I like in no particular group or order:

Bon Jovi
Metallica
Garth Brooks
Randy Travis
Gordon Lightfoot
Van Halen
Bach
Red Hot Chili Peppers
G & R
Chopin
B.B. King
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ice Cube
Jay Z
DMX
Notorious B.I.G.
Snoop Dog
Dr DRE.
2 Pac
Will Smith ( Kinda Kids Rap)
Pink Floyd
John Williams

All kinds more, but it would take too long to list

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
Is Vanilla Ice considered rap?

I'm a proud owner of his "Cool As Ice" movie.

"Drop the Zero and get with a Hero." words to live by. :)
ME TOO DUDE!!! I LOVE THAT SLAMMIN' movie!!!!!

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I love rap. Good rap that is.

Beastie Boys, Fat Boys, Heavy D, Grand Master Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Whodini, Public Enemy, Busta Rhymes, JJ Fad, Wil Smith, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Digital Underground, Tone Loc, NWA, it's all great stuff. Unfortunately, few rappers today can even come close to measuring up. I actually don't even believe that most "rap" today is even rap. To me, rap is music with a beat, that rhymes, and usually has a message or tells a story. Most of todays stuff is lucky to meet ONE of those requirements.
Yes I love all those artists, I grew up with them. In fact why I like Eminem is the same reason I got into rap in the first place, the humor element.

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Yeah, old rap from the late 80's was all I listened to back then, Eminem is the only one I listen to now. I still like the Beastie Boys though, but a lot of their stuff now I wouldn't consider rap, at least not like they used to be.

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 08:08 PM
See actually rap was considered black punk rock and since the Boys were punk rockers they fit nicely into the equation. Eminem is the funniest, wittiest rapper to come along.......of all time I would say. I would say he has the cleverest rhymes since Biz Markie.

JetsAndHeels
06-05-2002, 08:47 PM
I think the Beastie Boys are considered rock here in NC, since you only hear them on the rock stations. However I do like some of the rap, but not as much as others. Its gotten to where some artists are way too vulgar.
I prefer the rap of the 80's and early 90's.
I am the proud owner of the "Monsters of Rap" CD.

QLD
06-05-2002, 09:13 PM
Jango, you should also check out Millenium Hip Hop Party.

Jedi Juice
06-05-2002, 09:27 PM
Well, I'm from down here in New Orleans and we have record companies such as Cash Money (Juvenile, BG, Lil Wayne, Turk, Big Tymers) and No Limit (Master P, C Murder, others) that are pretty much mainstream down here. Also, which are definate favorites are Ja Rule, DMX, P Diddy, and others. One that is not my favorite, however, is Eminem. I really don't enjoy his music. But that's my taste.

JetsAndHeels
06-05-2002, 11:15 PM
QLD, I have seen the ads for Millenium Hip Hop Party, but I have forgotten who all is on it. Who are some of the artists on the CD?

2-1B
06-05-2002, 11:30 PM
QLD, I noticed Busta Ryhmes on your list - even though I never really listened to any of his albums, I like him a lot! :)
He did a version of Iron Man (w/ Ozzy) for the second Black Sabbath tribute album and it is a DELIGHT! Plus, I like seeing that guy in movies. I've been meaning to pick up a CD, but never have . . . what do you recommend if I were to buy only one?

Capitan_Moroni
07-16-2002, 05:14 PM
MC, check out X-96. They play Beastie Boys alot (although half the time its that stupid "girls" song).

Anyone here like Ben Folds 5?

Jango Jett
07-16-2002, 05:44 PM
No, not really, Rap music doesnt go with my personality.

:Pirate:

187-Maul
07-16-2002, 06:01 PM
I listen to a lot of hip hop and a lot of R n B and some Soul

MikeAndTheBots
07-16-2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Jonna
The closest I have ever come to enjoying rap is one of the Beastie Boy songs that I heard years ago (I don't know the name). It just does nothing for me.
exactly.

Jonna
07-16-2002, 10:23 PM
In a word: NO!

DeadEye
07-16-2002, 10:42 PM
The only rap worth listening to is the Star Wars Gangsta Rap! :D

You can pick it up at atomfilms.com. :)

Jedi Juice
07-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Yeah! My friend showed me that site.

Return to Dagobah, Return to Dagobah!

Mandalorian Candidat
07-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
MC, check out X-96. They play Beastie Boys alot (although half the time its that stupid "girls" song).

Anyone here like Ben Folds 5?

Mad Dog 103.9 also plays them, but only two songs. Sabotage and one other. Are they just hated here or something?

Capitan_Moroni
07-17-2002, 08:30 PM
MC: lol. 1) Think about where you live. 2) Think about what religion dominates this state :p :D