PDA

View Full Version : What was the plan?

Eternal Padawan
06-05-2002, 10:02 AM
If Leia hadn't been caught over Tatooine and had to send that emergency message to Ben, Luke would have never been involved. He'd still be moisture farming to this day. Ben would have died of old age. Han and Chewie would have worked their debt to Jabba off , or they would have been fried. Leia and her plans would have gotten safely to Alderaan...

...then what?

Rogue II
06-05-2002, 10:15 AM
I think Luke would have eventually gone to the Academy(after a few seasons). The Rebels would have taken the plans of the Death Star, found the weak spot (photon torpeedo in the tail pipe), and attacked. Without the help of Han, Luke, and the Spirit of Obi Wan, the attack would have been thwarted and the first Death Star would be floating around the galaxy with Tokkin in the driver seat. I think the Empire might have won also. Lando would have never become involved to destroy the Death Star.

...or something like that.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 10:42 AM
Obi Wan knew of Luke's where abouts the whole time. Perhaps at some point he would contact Luke or their paths would cross later and maybe lead to him training as a Jedi. Eventually leading to him joining the Rebellion and eventual distruction of the original Death Star al beit several years later.

Of course you could play this game with a lot of the seeming one and a million chances in the movies (and real life).

What if Sebulba was better at sabotaging Anakin's pod racer? He wouldn't have won (perhaps killed) which meant no price money. No price money, no ship parts. No ship parts would mean they wouldn't be leaving anytime soon if ever. While they're stuck the trade federation takes over Naboo. Palipatine wouldn't have become Chancellor. Etc...

So we can blame the Empire and the creation of Darth Vader on Sebulba not doing a better job.

Or if in Star Wars the red droid's Motivator did blow until the Jawa's were long gone. Without R2's message, that whole journey never would have begun.

So the Empire can blame their defeat on that droids bad Motivator. :)

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 10:55 AM
Leia's mission was to bring Obi Wan to Alderaan. She says so in her message. I'm sure Obi Wan would have brought Luke with him. Instead of Leia herself getting Obi Wan, R2's message was his signal for training Luke. It was now time. Yoda probably said such a thing would happen to let him know. I'm still sure he didn't know about Leia until Yoda told him about the "other" in ESB though. I'm also sure he recognized R2, even though he told Luke he didn't remember ever owning a droid. He was playing dumb, like Yoda was when he first met Luke. He knew R2 from TPM at least. He was there when Qui Gon introduced him to Anakin. Also, Anakin talks about R2, and calls him by name in AOTC: "She programmed R2 to warn us.." Ben knows R2 and he's playing dumb. He knows something's up now and he's bringing Luke with him as planned by him and Yoda.

chris
06-05-2002, 11:18 AM
Yes, that ben was a tricky one. It is safe to assume that because he was on Tatooine to eventually train Luke, he would have taken him with him to Alderaan, or Luke would have become involved some other way. Then again, everything happened the way it happened for a reason: destiny.

icatch9
06-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Obi Wan says he doesn't remember ever owning a droid. This is true even though a little coy. Jedi's did not have possesions back in the days of the Republic. So, what he said was true. Recognizing R2 may or may not be true. I mean droids are treated as second class citizens, and are not treated with the love and compassion we think they are. We think they are like pets when they are closer to VCR's or a power drills. Would you remember a power drill your friend had 30 years ago? Probally not. Espcially if all your friends how power drills that look very similar to it

Bosskman
06-05-2002, 03:04 PM
If my friend's power drill was constantly getting him and his friends out of trouble I'd definately rememder it.

Darkross
06-06-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Bosskman
Leia's mission was to bring Obi Wan to Alderaan. She says so in her message. I'm sure Obi Wan would have brought Luke with him. Instead of Leia herself getting Obi Wan, R2's message was his signal for training Luke. It was now time. Yoda probably said such a thing would happen to let him know. I'm still sure he didn't know about Leia until Yoda told him about the "other" in ESB though. I'm also sure he recognized R2, even though he told Luke he didn't remember ever owning a droid. He was playing dumb, like Yoda was when he first met Luke. He knew R2 from TPM at least. He was there when Qui Gon introduced him to Anakin. Also, Anakin talks about R2, and calls him by name in AOTC: "She programmed R2 to warn us.." Ben knows R2 and he's playing dumb. He knows something's up now and he's bringing Luke with him as planned by him and Yoda.

No...I think that Ben knew of Leia prior to ESB.

ROTJ:

Obi-Wan: "To protect you both from the Emperor, you were hidden from your father when you were born! The Emperor knew as I did...if Anakin were to have any offspring...they would be a threat to him! That is why your sister remains safely anonymous!"

Ben Kenobi had to of known that Luke had a twin sister how else would he have known that he and Leia were both hidden when they were born?

This will all be revealed in Episode III, when we see Luke and Leia be born and hidden.

Here's a little bone:

ESB:

Luke: "Something familiar about this place...I don't know?"

Bosskman
06-06-2002, 11:36 AM
He said that in ROTJ, after ESB when he says "That boy was our last hope" and Yoda says "No, there is another." I think that's when Yoda tells Obi Wan about Leia. It doesn't happen on screen but it's assumed.

darthvyn
06-06-2002, 11:43 AM
he was clued in by yoda in EMPIRE, and the quote from above is from JEDI...

"that boy is our last hope..."

"no, there is another..."

luke takes off, and in "rosencrantz and gildenstern are dead" fashion, we will stay with yoda and ben...

"another, what the hell you jibber-jabberin about green-bean?"

"i always have to prove how stupid you are, don't i? leia is his sister, BUNjamin... 'i will train him, he's going to bring balance to the force, nyah, nyah, nyah.' you never learn..."

"yeah, well at least my hermitage planet had a DRY heat... the kid was right, this is a HUMID slimy mud-hole."

seriously, though, i don't think he knew until after EMPIRE. just because luke thinks he's been there before, doesn't mean ben has...

Bosskman
06-06-2002, 02:16 PM
I think Yoda and Obi Wan arrange to meet up on Dagobah at some point in EIII. Yoda gets there first, with Padme, and Padme has gives birth to the twins. Padme then leaves with Leia for Alderaan. Obi Wan shows up when she's gone and Yoda doesn't tell him about Leia because there is no reason for him to know. Ben then takes Luke to Tatooine. I'm sure that's how it will turn out. Luke's familiarity with Dagobah, and Ben's not knowing about Leia are both explained. Everything's all wrapped up in a neat little package.

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 05:07 PM
I don't think Ben knew about Leia until after ESB also. It just doesn't make sense that he would call Luke the last hope, if he knew that Leia was also Vader's child.

As for Obi-Wan saying that he doesn't remember ever owning a droid. Well, the thing about that is that IT IS ENTIRELY TRUE!! Obi-Wan NEVER owned Artoo. Artoo belonged to Padme in both Ep1 and Ep2. Obi-Wan's only possessions in the prequels are his lightsaber and his robes. If you recognize your friend's power drill from twenty years ago, you can still say "I don't remember ever owning a power drill," without it being a lie.

As for the actualy topic of this thread, Leia's mission was to get Obi-Wan at the beginning of ANH. Whether Obi-Wan would've left without Luke is a different story.

saladin
06-07-2002, 08:17 AM
we'll never know.

Darkross
06-07-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bosskman
I think Yoda and Obi Wan arrange to meet up on Dagobah at some point in EIII. Yoda gets there first, with Padme, and Padme has gives birth to the twins. Padme then leaves with Leia for Alderaan. Obi Wan shows up when she's gone and Yoda doesn't tell him about Leia because there is no reason for him to know. Ben then takes Luke to Tatooine. I'm sure that's how it will turn out. Luke's familiarity with Dagobah, and Ben's not knowing about Leia are both explained. Everything's all wrapped up in a neat little package.

So much for avoiding any Episode III spoilers!

Eternal Padawan
06-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Darkross

So much for avoiding any Episode III spoilers!

Well, for now, what he said is speculation.

But I completely see your point. During AOTC there was so much spoiler dropping in supposedly non spoiler sections like the toy section and the miscelaneous section, that I'm going to clear out of SSG altogether before it gets to thick. Especially when the mods decide that the Spoiler-people have more rights than those trying to avoid spoilers.

It's not that I don't want to hang out and chat with all you cool people, but I'm going spoiler free for Episode III and there's too many of you who feel it's neccessary to let everyone know whats happening in the films before we see it.