PDA

View Full Version : Original Radio Drama not bad for free.

icatch9
06-05-2002, 11:12 AM
I am a child of the OT, but until today I had never listened to the Original Radio Drama. I understand that it was the most popular broadcast on NPR ever. Even so, as a child I don't suppose I could of sat still long enough to listen to the whole thing. Never the less I have listened to the first part of it today. I must say that it's something else. Entertaining for sure. It's a little off from the movie. It starts on Tatooine with Luke and some of his friends. We learn a bit more about Luke and his Life on Tatooine. Then we learn a bit more about Liea and how she got into the Rebellion. I don't know if this counts as "official cannon" since someone wrote it other than GL, but its still Star Wars, and its still good. Especially for free. I checked it out at my local public library. Any library with a decent audio/visual section should have it. So, like Lavare Burton and Reading Rainbow "For more information on this book and more like it, check your local library."

SQueek
06-06-2002, 12:18 AM
i had an ip that broadcasted all 3 over and over again for all eternity, i turned it on every once and a while to hear some diff parts but their really not that exiting

icatch9
06-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Well, its hard to compete with DVDs, but it's not bad for the radio. There is only so much you can do with a stage you can't see.

TIE Pilot
06-10-2002, 05:24 PM
I thought the radio adaptation of ANH was pretty awesome. I'm still not sure if it's considered canon or not. But then, it seems nowadays even the movie novels aren't canon.

The adaptation of TESB was pretty cool too. Unfortunately ROTJ wasn't that great. To me it seemed like the actors were rushing through their lines. Plus, the actor that read for Luke was annoying.

icatch9
06-11-2002, 08:23 AM
I finished the radio drama the other day. Pretty cool all in all. Can't wait to hear the other 2. I must say that it shows the characters in a different light. Shows LUke and Leia in their normal lives befor they joined the rebelion. That was cool. I'm not so sure about David Allen Greres perfomance as Wedge :)

As I said befor I suggest every Star Wars fan to listen to it. It's good and can help us understand the movies better.

El Chuxter
08-22-2003, 05:37 PM
I've been listening to ROTJ (the only one I have so far) for the very first time on the way to and from work for the past few days. I still have chapter six to go, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

Some of the lines are delivered a little less wonderfully than I'd like, but the extra scenes and such--especially Boba Fett visiting Han in the dungeon and the cameo by Mara Jade--more than made up for them.

I'm definitely going to check out the other two. Hopefully we'll get radio dramas for TPM and AOTC, but I doubt it. :(

Rogue II
08-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Where did you get the radio dramas?

El Chuxter
08-22-2003, 06:22 PM
I got mine as a gift, and I'm 99% sure it was purchased from amazon.com. Every so often I'll see them at stores, but online seems to be a better way to go, since online stores that sell it are more likely to have them in stock.

There are also paperbacks of the scripts, which I plan to eventually get as well.

Rogue II
08-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Cool, thanks. I'm moving from Washington DC to Las Vegas in October and I need something to listen to on the drive there. I recently bought the Lord of the Rings: FOTR audiobook on clearance from Target for $2, but that won't last more than the first day of the trip.

bobafrett
08-23-2003, 12:26 AM
I got mine as a gift, and I'm 99% sure it was purchased from amazon.com. Every so often I'll see them at stores, but online seems to be a better way to go, since online stores that sell it are more likely to have them in stock.

There are also paperbacks of the scripts, which I plan to eventually get as well.

I was sure I had it in my collection. I remember taping the program years ago off of the NPR. My mom bought me what I thought was the OT radio broadcast, but it ends up it was just the audio version of the Timothy Zahn books "The Last Command", "Dark Force Rising", and "Heir to the Empire". I'll have to do some more searching, as I could have sworn I had it.

El Chuxter, did you get yours on tape or CD?

El Chuxter
08-28-2003, 02:23 PM
I got mine on CD. I see the tapes in stores all the time, but it's not all that often I actually see the CDs in stores.