PDA

View Full Version : Are the stores starting to thin the figs?

Vortex
06-05-2002, 01:04 PM
I read a statment in another link about a collector being happy when the kids loose interest and the stores start to get a wider selection. Interesting thought, is this common with most areas?

I'm just wondering if anyone else is thinking this way, or if this happens at your store, or if your area is like mine.

Locally here in MN, or over the last few years since EP I, the stores have cut back on the displays and stocking, and even in some cases, the toys have disapeared from the shelves. We all have stories about the TC-14, Mr. Bo, and others...

A few months back, maybe even half a year or more before EP II the local WM's, some local Targets, and the Mall of America FAO, didn't even have a carded figure on the pegs. The only time you would see a figure would be when, and if, they got an exclusive piece in. Even then it was just the exclusive that was on the shelf.

I had to buy from comic shops who ordered from Diamond, had to buy some cases from EE just to get figures. It got so bad around there, that one local scalper that hangs out at the comic shops I go to had to order figs from dealers/scalpers in chicago and NY, just so he'd have the new stuff to sell.

I was just wondering if this was happening in other places, and if anyone forsees this happening to them, or in their area in a few months once the movie leaves the theater.

I'm already seeing the large displays start to go in places, and the pegs are shrinking around here. There's not a lot of new stock going up to fill in the holes either. The newest stuff I've found has been from the Target HQ in Minneapolis. I haven't found anything in the burbs since April. Anyone else running into this or seeing something similar?

Thoughts or observations on this?

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Scalpers buying from scalpers, that's not mean, that's justice! Let them get screwed by their own over-priced medicine.

I'm sure since the movie has been out for about half a month and kids have been getting what they wanted to get and the hype is down then that's why. I haven't seen anything like that though, my Wal-Mart has a huge aisle devoted to just SW figures, and K-Mart has the same only it's a little smaller, another Wal-Mart though has a side-aisle piece, a mid-path shelving and 8-10 pegs in the toy aisle for the figures. So it varies from store to store.

billfremore
06-05-2002, 01:12 PM
The same thg happened to us here in the great white north.

Most of our local stores simply stopped carrying anything and we didn't see anything new for months.

Some store were still selling off their EP1 stock, some had scads of POTJ pegwarmers.

The TRU near my house is still drowning in Bespin Guards and Ketwols.

I dread the day that I have to pay comic store prices again.

It does make me wonder what things will be like after EP3 is out and the movies are done...

saladin
06-05-2002, 02:15 PM
i remember my wal-mart kind of giving up on the Figs and not put them out, but the toy's r us still had them.

Vortex
06-05-2002, 04:01 PM
So when the new figs don't show, do you go or look in other places besides e*bay, or the sponsor sites?

billfremore
06-05-2002, 04:04 PM
I mostly check out the local comic shops that carry the figures, which in this area amounts to about 2.

Vortex
06-05-2002, 04:21 PM
Yea, the comic shops aren't cheap either. I know that about a 1/4 of the figs hanging on the pegs are bought from store employees, or the scalpers that frequent the shop.

At least the shop owners subtly tell us which ones are scapled by putting a differnt color price sticker on it and if its the only one that's on the check out desk, or hanging on the pegs, they usually tell the regulars to "wait for a couple days" until they get their shipment.

So how much do they charge you up there, eh? Down here they want anywhere from 8 to 12. Red are 4-8, Greens are 7, Ep I are still 9, and the few Ep II they have are 8-12 depending if they are new of not. They have a huge case of the so called variants and erros, but they want 15% over what Lee's quotes for average. They also have a mess of vintage stuff too, At-At w/box, Falcon w/box, an old prototype inteceptor, and some other stuff, and a lot RTOJ carded figs, but they want way too much for it, and most of it has seen a better day.

billfremore
06-05-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by tjovonovich
So how much do they charge you up there, eh? Down here they want anywhere from 8 to 12. Red are 4-8, Greens are 7, Ep I are still 9, and the few Ep II they have are 8-12 depending if they are new of not. They have a huge case of the so called variants and erros, but they want 15% over what Lee's quotes for average.

Actually the one store I frequent is actually pretty reasonably priced, again ranges from $8-$12.
Some of the older figs meaning the stuff from 1995 can be a little expensive but all in all their pretty good.

The other store called the Silver Snail generally trise to get at least $15 for everything, even EP1 pegwarmers. I try not to go there if I don't have to.

Vortex
06-05-2002, 04:37 PM
wow, 15 for Ep I junk. They must have a mess of them hanging there.

billfremore
06-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Yup if anybody wants to pay $15 CDN for a EP1 Tatooine Anakin go to the Silver Snail comic shop in Ottawa, Canada.

This place also has a Y-wing and B-wing for the low, low :rolleyes: price of $139 each.

What a bargain! :rolleyes:

Vortex
06-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Wholly Schnikies bat man! :crazed: Weren't they 60 in the states when they 1st came out????

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 04:21 AM
As for the question this thread asks, out of the dozen+ stores I have access to on my shopping runs (2 kmarts, 6 targets, 3 walmarts, 4 KBs, and 4 TRUs) only 1 TRU has pulled a section of their figures, and it was an entire large-island end-wall (man I hate describing these concept 3000 stores!!!) that was cleared out for Transformers. The store didn't seem to put these figures anywhere else on the floor, so either they're being stored in the back along with that ridiculous pair of Deluxe carded figure bins or they got sent back to Hasbro.

Jedi Drew
06-06-2002, 09:38 AM
The WM in Akron is really thin-MAYBE :confused: they are getting new figures in???or they may be chopping the SW section in half for MIB figures??????

SNAYSON
06-06-2002, 09:52 AM
the star wars section from the wal mart near me is getting thin. they havn't re-stocked the pegs at all. it's mostly the 4/23 stuff. havn't seen anything new on the peg. it's looking bare.

sunblind
06-06-2002, 09:53 AM
Thinning is right...thats whats happening around here....I wondered about a setup of new figs being waited on to be set out or something?????

Dryanta
06-06-2002, 11:05 AM
All the stores I've been to have scaled back.And they are still swimming with the first 14 from 4/23.I Believe Thrawn is right.The line is dying on the pegs.There is no room for new stuff.It's alot worse around here than ep1 ever was.It's not loking good for the next waves.I have through the Orn free taa wave but that was only about one case put out.Three weeks ago.Haven't seen anything new at all.Yoda and Dooku haven't even showed again.No need to open new cases.

brentfett
06-06-2002, 11:36 AM
When, WHEN are stores gonna learn not to over-order? The Toys R Us near my work here in MD must have easily over a hundred of the 4/23 crap, and they are going NOWHERE! What kinda monkeys in suits are ordering this much stuff? I'm starting to think almost none of the blame lies on Hasbro but on the retailers.

Vortex
06-06-2002, 12:23 PM
The retailers, to me, are a large part to the problem, but they aren't totally the blame.

TRU, Target, who ever, has this big pre-order they do, months in advance or longer. With the toy biz, its just a guess and check sort of thing. The hedge on speculation, marketing, those toy test trials and they order so much taking a risk to see if it will be a hot item...if not, something else they ordered will be. I'm sure the didn't pre-order many of the newer waves. Or after looking at sales, might not have orderd that many new waves. Plus I'm guessing the employees are raiding the boxes...I did when I work there.

Maybe Hasbro should shipped more that just 12 figs in a box...I don't know. But its just discomforting to see the displays disapear so soon, and not see any of the new stuff come drifting in.

sunblind
06-06-2002, 01:01 PM
I was just at a Walmart and the pegs there are very thin. About 6-8 empty pegs and the rest have maybe up to 2-5 fig's per other peg. They'res not much. Makes me wonder why they dont put out any new cases. Although the TRU down the street has tons of figures on the pegs with about 2 whole cage baskets full. They'll never get any new fig's there. ;(

Vortex
06-06-2002, 01:07 PM
So with the kids show MIB II just around the corner, and Austin Powers 3 to follow after that, do you see the star wars figs getting pushed pack to a small corner? Boxed up? or just left as is?

I'm guessing they'll get relocated to some island display in a back corner with the ton's of 25th ann. 2-packs.

Casual George
06-06-2002, 02:59 PM
The Wal-Mart, TRU and Target in my area are thin as well. But they have been selling figures like hot cakes ever since 4/23. I don't know what deal is but the line is not dying on the pegs around here. They're just flat selling out. I did notice that right after the movie came out scores of younger kids were hitting the figures hard. I'm thinking that the stores are playing conservative and trying not to have the pegs crammed full in fear that they won't be able to sell them all.

Jonna
06-06-2002, 03:02 PM
All of the Walmarts around me have become baren of SW stuff.

Jedi Drew
06-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Most of the WMs around here don't have much on the pegs and what they do have out sucks (stuff from the 23rd). When I'm hunting I have more parents w/ their kids ask me if I have seen Yoda. Everyone wants Yoda-Hear that HASBLOW Oh I mean Hasbro:eek: :eek: :eek: