PDA

View Full Version : "Holy Roller" Parents, Relatives, etc. against you into SW.

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 12:16 PM
My dad would not let me get alot of figs from Star Wars back in tha day because he thought they looked "evil". He thought the Ewoks THE EWOKS!!, looked like "little hairy demons." I could have had alot figs from that era, but my dear old dad stopped me.

icatch9
06-05-2002, 12:30 PM
I'm sorry you were such a sheltered child. I fear what your dad would of thought of Skelator or even Shreader.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2002, 12:41 PM
If that's what he thought of the Ewoks, Chewbacca must have been the devil.

I never understood why certain people take their religion to such extremes. The Bible has war, sex, violence, death, vengence, greed, supernatural phenomenon, etc... Other artistic medium portray the same imagery, a lot of times with the same morals, and it's seen as being evil or a bad influence. If the Bible was made into a movie and not watered down, I'm sure it would have a strong R rating. People seem to be more afraid of PG story telling a lot of times. The devil in the Bible is Ok, a devil in a movie or game is evil. What?

Scruffziller, I mean nothing personal by this. I grew up with friends who lived under the same rules. Strange, I think I turned out alright.

Excuse me while I go and bow to my toy collection for forgiveness.

icatch9
06-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Yea, The Bilble: The Movie would probally make 10 billion dollars too. Funny, that the greatest story ever told, is wasted in a very long and somewhat boreing book. Youth today don't respond to books, and that sad truth is only going to get worse as tech advances. A real movie about the bible showing the story as it is, not as a "recruitment video" woulld probally out sell all the movies of 2002 combined.

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 02:44 PM
Yea he wouldn't me have chewie either

DarthBrandon
06-05-2002, 03:47 PM
My dad, god rest his soul didn't even like me playing with the toys at all. My mother bought them anyway, which P.O. him a little bit, but he got over it. By the way in 1977 I was 7 years old and he thought I was too old then to play with toys. Wonder what he would think now if he was still around. Lol

2-1B
06-05-2002, 03:57 PM
brandon, I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:

scruffziller, that's a horrifying example of ignorance - I'm glad you didn't buy into it! :)

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by icatch9
Yea, The Bilble: The Movie would probally make 10 billion dollars too. Funny, that the greatest story ever told, is wasted in a very long and somewhat boreing book. Youth today don't respond to books, and that sad truth is only going to get worse as tech advances. A real movie about the bible showing the story as it is, not as a "recruitment video" woulld probally out sell all the movies of 2002 combined.

I wonder if the people would then flock to say that it was evil to get back at the "------- is evil!" people. ;)

Doubt it would beat any SW movies though, I think "History of the World, Part I" pretty much explained it. :D

Although most likely it would be a "rescruitment video" as it would be a major chance for them to get people, I doubt they wouldn't waste it.

It's sad that anyone would think characters from a movie or something were evil (unless actually intended to be) especially the Ewoks, 'course Teebo is a little sadisitic looking from wearing a skull on his head but he's awesome. :happy: Anakin's "evil" but he's evil in an awesome way, why? Because it's a movie. :evil:

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 04:57 PM
To Exhaust Port I do fully agree with on how the bible has all that imagery, so why can't SW be the space bible story, it has all the elements.

scruffziller
06-05-2002, 04:58 PM
Have you seen the Omega Code? That is a prettry up to date movie about Revelations.

icatch9
06-06-2002, 08:05 AM
No, I haven't seen Omega Code. I'll have to check it out.

Jargo
06-06-2002, 03:44 PM
Star wars can't be the space bible because that means people would start believing in fictitious characters and worshipping those characters as if they were real, like some weird global cult...... hey, waitaminute, that sounds awfully familiar........ :eek:

Jonna
06-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

Have you seen the Omega Code? That is a prettry up to date movie about Revelations.

The first one was interesting, but the second one was absolutely horrible.:p

mabudonicus
06-06-2002, 05:01 PM
Yes, Emperor Jargo....familiar indeed.....
I had my experiences with "organized religion". My mother was adamant in her belief that my sister and I attend church..... she was asked, behind the scenes, if I might find somewhere else to spend sunday mornings, though, as I asked too many questions in sunday school........no place for questions, at least not good ones..........
So Scruffziller, did you bury Labria on your backyard, or what :)??

LTBasker
06-06-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
So Scruffziller, did you bury Labria on your backyard, or what :)??

Wouldn't burning it be more correct? So it may melt into pure goo and slip through the crevices of the Earth and return itself to heck! :crazed:

mabudonicus
06-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Right on!!! Indeed, the "gigantic influence" of such a figure demands such treatment, Lt. :). I can't imagine what one could do with, say, a DOZEN such figs?!? Ahhh Ah Ah Ah Ah.......... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

scruffziller
06-09-2002, 04:18 PM
I'm sorry you were such a sheltered child. I fear what your dad would of thought of Skelator or even Shreader.
Oh he hated those too. Pretty much anything that could be percieved as ugly/scary was "of the devil." He pretty much was even against us going to see the movies too, but he took us anyway.

scruffziller
06-09-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Star wars can't be the space bible because that means people would start believing in fictitious characters and worshipping those characters as if they were real, like some weird global cult...... hey, waitaminute, that sounds awfully familiar........ :eek:

:D :D :D LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
YES!!! I thought it through, Vader represents mankind that was living in sin, but then redeemed. Luke is Jesus who "saves" Vader. Palptine is the devil who gets essentially thrown down into fireyness. The Death Star is the Earth of old that is destroyed. Thus the end of Armegeddon and then an era of peace. Just like the bible says. Some what off from EPS1 they said that the Sith were extinct for a millenium. In the bible, there will be a thousand years of peace after Armegeddon and then the Devil will be realesed again, sound FAMILIAR!! (Maul (which was quoted by my dad "Boy he sure looks like a devil"). I told him, "Dad, they wanted to make him look as evil as possible"

LTBasker
06-09-2002, 04:41 PM
Kicker is though, the Death Star came after the Jedi found out the Sith weren't extinct. ;)

mylow thehutt
06-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
If that's what he thought of the Ewoks, Chewbacca must have been the devil.

I never understood why certain people take their religion to such extremes. The Bible has war, sex, violence, death, vengence, greed, supernatural phenomenon, etc... Other artistic medium portray the same imagery, a lot of times with the same morals, and it's seen as being evil or a bad influence. If the Bible was made into a movie and not watered down, I'm sure it would have a strong R rating. People seem to be more afraid of PG story telling a lot of times. The devil in the Bible is Ok, a devil in a movie or game is evil. What?

Scruffziller, I mean nothing personal by this. I grew up with friends who lived under the same rules. Strange, I think I turned out alright.

Excuse me while I go and bow to my toy collection for forgiveness.

The Bible has all that stuff in it is because sadly thats the world we live in.

DarthBrandon
06-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
[B]brandon, I'm sorry for your loss. :cry:

Thankx Caesar, it's a year on the 3rd of July, he was seventy and lived a full life. He will be missed alot.

Thankx again Caesar.

Jason B
06-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port

basiclly the Bible is telling us about the devil, because we need to stay away from him. but, if he's in a movie, or a game, it's showing us that he's a person, and he's ok, which simply isnt true.

scruffziller
06-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Kicker is though, the Death Star came after the Jedi found out the Sith weren't extinct. ;)

Yea I know, I was writing in a burst of genius and I was aware of what you saying there LT it seems all the same but in SW the chronology is mixed up just a tad but the events as in description are dead on.

scruffziller
06-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by brandon
My dad, god rest his soul didn't even like me playing with the toys at all. My mother bought them anyway, which P.O. him a little bit, but he got over it. By the way in 1977 I was 7 years old and he thought I was too old then to play with toys. Wonder what he would think now if he was still around. Lol
brandon, were you close to your dad. If you were I wish I could say the same. Even though we have gotten closer than we had in the past, I wish we didn't fight like starved pit bull dogs. And sometimes we still do. But I think he listens to me more now that I am an adult.

DarthBrandon
06-09-2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by scruffziller

brandon, were you close to your dad. If you were I wish I could say the same. Even though we have gotten closer than we had in the past, I wish we didn't fight like starved pit bull dogs. And sometimes we still do. But I think he listens to me more now that I am an adult.

Not really that close scruffziller, probably like most father and son realtionships. You don't always see eye to eye, but you make the most of it. You will always argue or disagree with yours parents, but in the end everything works out I guess. It was no different than anybody else I know.

P.S. The older you get the less you argue cause you know your time together is getting shorter.

Take care and thankx for asking.