PDA

View Full Version : Arena Playset Question? (merged)

Hellboy
06-05-2002, 05:02 PM
Hello everyone, I was just wondering how many of you are planning on buying the Arena Playset and setting up a Jedi/Droid brawl?

What will your Jedi to Droid ratio be and do you plan on having all three beasts as part of it as well? I planned on putting in-

- 10 Jedi's, (by the time it is released Ki Adi Mundi should be out)
- 9 Battle Droid's
- 5 Super BD's
- 3 Destroyer's
- 1 Padme
- 1 Jango
- 1 Nexu
- 1 Acklay

I'm still not sure if I'll put the Reek in because he takes up so much room but I do plan on using real sand for a more Geonosis like feel. I haven't decided if I'll fill the balcony as well but if I do that totals up to 31 fig.'s with Dooku and Nute Gunray and 2 possibly 3 beasts.

Am I crazy or do some of you have the same plans?

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Hopefully there will be enough space from possible connecting pieces cause from the ToyFair pictures it looked like there were slots on the arena floor part where there could be connections made by other pieces. I possibly plan on putting all the beasts in there plus some Clone Troopers and at least 2 Battle Droid per Jedi and 1 Droideka per 3 Jedi.... I hope. Also I want to put some Geonosian Warriors in there but not sure how many I'd want.

Hellboy
06-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Yeah Basker size will be a major issue. Does anyone know the actual measurments or an approximation?

Tycho
06-05-2002, 05:52 PM
You know I plan on setting up something big with this. :D

Probably twice.

I want to separate what I see as the 2 halves of the battle:

The battle with the creatures combined with the Jedi Rescue.

(the Clones having not yet landed, but I like that gunship, so they'll be enroute though my battle will still be going).

The battle after the Clones have arrived and Jedi are on board gunships and Hailfire Droids and Walkers are moving outside the arena. I think I will still use the Arena Playset for this (so I'll buy 2 of them) BUT I will get one at a time and set up the figures in such as way to make the 2nd display Notably lacking Hailfire Droids, Spider Droids etc. (for now) and see how it looks. I may not need the Arena, and therefore may not buy a second one.

If it will be a contest to get these, I'll buy 2 up front, test-set the 2nd display quickly, and then return the un-opened one if I don't need it.

I've got only a 6 foot, by 3.5" high (to hang things), by 18" deep space to work with (standard store display fixtures I buy from the company that makes them for comic book stores, etc).

I keep these scenes flat against the walls this way, and they still can be pretty big.

chris
06-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Yea, I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this too. I think i'm just gonna throw all of my figures into mine, even if its not movie accurate. But if that doesn't work, i should start saving my money now, i need many more clones and battle droids.

Tycho
06-05-2002, 07:29 PM
The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is further developing my army of Super Battle Droids.

I don't care for the figure that much. Flimsy, doesn't stand well, and limited poseability. I hate the fact that I might use like even 10 more than I have now.

LTBasker
06-05-2002, 07:33 PM
Tycho, just wait a little, we're bound to get a resculpt. Look at how many Battle Droid figures we've gotten, 'course they still haven't gotten it correct but then again with the SBD it's just one single figure and not variants of it since it was just one version and it didn't do anything very very special, so a version that can stand up and such would definitely be needed and most likely made after awhile.

SuperBattleDroid88
06-05-2002, 07:50 PM
The arms on my Super Battle Droid is flimsy?!?! Does anyone's have this problem??? :(

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-05-2002, 07:58 PM
heres What im gonna do:

Not open it. Put on shelf. wonder how fun it will be to open every thing i bought it the last 7 years. relize my ultimant goal inlife would be over if i did that.

yukface27
06-05-2002, 11:47 PM
My super battle droid has a cause of the flimsy arms. Is the new battle droid any good? Also, what's the deal with the arena playset? Gimme' some specs on it. Does it come with any pack in figures? I saw a glimpse of it a while back, but it was just a glimpse, because I was sure it was going to be a movie spoiler. The idea of add on pieces to the set would be very cool. If anyone could give me some info and possibly post a pic of it, I would be most gracious.

Tycho
06-06-2002, 02:12 AM
Here's a pic:

saladin
06-06-2002, 06:30 AM
well i'll probaly buy a few and space them out in a circle and maybe make my own walls to have a bigger arena.

SuperBattleDroid88
06-06-2002, 10:35 AM
Why do the have Geonosian Warrior on a stand?!?!?! :p

pthfnder89
06-06-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
The only thing that I'm not looking forward to is further developing my army of Super Battle Droids.

I don't care for the figure that much. Flimsy, doesn't stand well, and limited poseability. I hate the fact that I might use like even 10 more than I have now.

Really? I like this figure a lot, which is suprising because I wasn't even planing on buying it to begin with. I only picked it up because the AOTC regular Battle Droid was such a piece of crap. And I liked it enough I had to buy another.

The only thing about him that bothers me is that his right arm isn't posed right for firing; it should be palm-down, not to the side.

Other than that he has plenty of joints to move and he's not super posed, and the "exploding gimmick" is fun and manages not to interfere with the figure.

yukface27 - the Arena playset does NOT come with a packin figure unfortunately, but I still think it's a pretty good value for $39.99. You get the little electric "prison" for ObiWan and a big Geonosian cannon.

Besides the packin figures for the Ep1 playsets were literally two of the WORST figures Hasbro has ever made. Even the Droideka "figure" that came with the R2 carrying case was better than them; at least it could roll.

The Qui Gonn and the Battle Droid that came with the playsets were utterly useless.

Tycho
06-06-2002, 12:46 PM
I never bought that R2 / Trade Federation carry-case. Still happy about that decision!

I don't want to be negative, but do want to be realistic. You know in Toys R Us where they have those little army man playsets, some with cowboys and Indians and the little flimsy forts you put together for these 1" statue figures? I think the Arena playset will be made out of similar material. Toy companies make play Zoos or Dinosaur "environments" this way. I'm worried Hasbro has gone and done this for our arena. The fact that they molded in the Geonosian Audience at 1/8 the scale of our action figures also bothers me (see picture) but the accessories and just the fact that they made this environment is awesome to me. Good enough for me to buy one and then determine whether I want to ante up for more of them. I'm hoping I could be wrong. But it would be predictable. Check out the picture.

Casual George
06-06-2002, 01:39 PM
Who plans on getting the Arena set when it first comes out. Does anyone plan on waiting for the price to go down?

LTBasker
06-06-2002, 02:26 PM
Too bad they didn't make it bigger. 'Course not a whole lot you can do with a $40 price tag.

Cool to know they included the Geonosian Arena cannon, it's on the top of the set with the Battle Droid. Is it just me or does it look like one of those "death ray" cannons from old sci-fi stuff? :D

If you look at the picture I added below, you'll see something quite interesting. I wonder what will connect to the arena floor as it appears it will have some other piece that will slide in but nothing was picture for it on the Wal-Mart image.

SuperBattleDroid88
06-06-2002, 02:30 PM
hmmmm.......................

pthfnder89
06-06-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Tycho
I don't want to be negative, but do want to be realistic. You know in Toys R Us where they have those little army man playsets, some with cowboys and Indians and the little flimsy forts you put together for these 1" statue figures? I think the Arena playset will be made out of similar material. Toy companies make play Zoos or Dinosaur "environments" this way. I'm worried Hasbro has gone and done this for our arena.

I think I know what kind of plastic you're talking about Tycho.

I don't think it looks to be made out of that type of material, but then again the material they used for the Episode 1 playsets was barely any better. That soft crap they used to make the doors and the walkway on the Theed Hangar set wasabsolutely useless, as it was so soft that the doors wouldn't open; they would just bend inward if you pushed on them.:mad:

The Arena looks pretty sturdy to me so far (although I'm worried they may do the same thing with that main door behind the Reek) except for the cardboard extension. I'm crossing my fingers that the real product is good.:)

pthfnder89
06-06-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker

Cool to know they included the Geonosian Arena cannon, it's on the top of the set with the Battle Droid. Is it just me or does it look like one of those "death ray" cannons from old sci-fi stuff? :D

Yeah you're right, it's very old fashioned which is kinda cool. When I first saw the Arena pics I figured I wouold just toss out the cannon but after seeing it in the movie I'll definitely be slaughtering some Jedi with it.:D

Originally posted by LTBasker

If you look at the picture I added below, you'll see something quite interesting. I wonder what will connect to the arena floor as it appears it will have some other piece that will slide in but nothing was picture for it on the Wal-Mart image.

LTB, the slot you pointed out actually looks like it probably controls one of the little "platforms" for the figures to go on. If you look to the left of the pics Plo Koon is actually on one of these little circles; they did a similar thing with the Ep1 playsets.

The figures stand on a small circle and then you use a lever from underneath to spin them around like they're moving. It doesn't work to well usually but hopefully it won't intefere with the rest of the set.:)

And I also hope they create more connecting playsets to hook up to the arena, especially a Droid Foundry/Conveyor Belt set!

chris
06-06-2002, 03:16 PM
i tend to be a cheap skate, but yes it seems to me like it will be something my collection can't be without.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2002, 04:10 PM
I NEED it!!!

Hellboy
06-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89

And I also hope they create more connecting playsets to hook up to the arena, especially a Droid Foundry/Conveyor Belt set!

Now that would be cool but I doubt it will happen since the playsets usually don't seem to be big sellers. Just Imagine how broke you would be after filling that foundry with Battle Droids. :eek:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-06-2002, 08:39 PM
I heard somewhere that the back of the arena set would be the factory/conveyor belt.
I already set up a good diorama of the arena, on my hearth, with a droid being impaled by Eeth Koth! I also added the crappy EI cloak to the Barada figure from the 3-pack, because there was a Klatooinian Jedi, but not a Nikto. The Klatooinian Jedi doesn't even wear a cloak, but I'm not the type to head-swap.

yukface27
06-07-2002, 12:56 AM
When I saw the Battle Droid that came with the EP1 Hanger Playset I wanted it. I thought a destroyable Battle Droid would be cool. Huh... Did anyone state if the new Saga Battle Droid was any good? I wanna know.

Darth Yambag
06-07-2002, 01:08 AM
I too, Mr. Jabba, heard that the back of the arena was to have some type of droid foundry/assembly line. It appears that piece on the left of the Arena is part of an assembly line with the big knives/cutting instrument. Perhaps this is the model for it.

Also, note the picture from page one of this thread. Where Jango is standing, it looks like there is a platform that will extend out. Perhaps the one Padme fell off. There may be hope...and Hasbro may once again dash that hope.

DarthMaulSithLord
06-07-2002, 07:58 AM
Same here. I heard it was going to be a 360 degree playset. Wonder when we'll see some pics.

And i agree on the audience stickers, they absolutely suck. They should've made the Arena larger so you'd have a catwalk all around the Arena so you could place Jedi on them. And make some seats for the Geo's.

Still, if the back looks good and the plastic is of a good quality i'll probably buy it....if it comes out here, which it probably won't.

I already know what i'm putting in:
- Mace Windu Deluxe, Dooku, Jango Kamino Escape and Boba on the balcony.
- Obi-Wan CC, Anakin Peasant and Padmé on the Reek near the pillars.
- Kit Fisto, Saesee Tiin, Plo Koon and Ki-Adi Mundi on the catwalks/sides where the crowd is sitting.
- Luminara, Shaak Ti, Nikto Jedi near the main entrance.
- Battle Droids (10 from E1, maybe some more from AOTC or POTJ) emerging from all entrances.
- Destroyer Droids (4 from E1) closing in on Reek.
- Super Battle Droids (4).
- Geonosians (5) in front of the stupid stickers.
- Yoda, 4 Preview Cloneys, 1 Red Clone Trooper and Full complement of Pilots in a Republic Gunship that's hovering over the left side of the Arena.

:)