PDA

View Full Version : Steven Spielberg Fan?

Mike Troxell
08-16-2001, 03:26 PM
If you're into the movies of Steven Spielberg, this site is the site for you. :D

Spielberg Films (http://www.spielbergfilms.com)

Go there and check it out.

Brave Sir Robin
09-10-2001, 09:18 PM
STEVEN SPIELBERG IS THE MAN!!!
LONG LIVE THE SPIELBERG!!!!!!!!

master jedi
09-10-2001, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Brave Sir Robin
STEVEN SPIELBERG IS THE MAN!!!
LONG LIVE THE SPIELBERG!!!!!!!!

No.
George Lucas is the man!!!
Long live the Lucas!!!!!!!!!

bigbarada
09-10-2001, 10:27 PM
My favorite Spielberg movies are E.T., Close Encounter of the Third Kind, 1941 and Raiders of the Lost Ark (which could also be considered a Lucas movie).

I think he's been much too serious in his most recent films, I liked Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's List and all, but I miss the fun-loving adventure movies of old.

GNT
09-11-2001, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
My favorite Spielberg movies are E.T.

I like it cause it contains ANH Vintage figures :D

2-1B
09-11-2001, 01:50 AM
Amistad is great.

TeeEye7
09-11-2001, 04:56 AM
I've always had a fondness for 'Duel'. It was my first exposure to the little upstart ;) !

Brave Sir Robin
09-11-2001, 12:47 PM
Master Jedi, of course George Lucas is a really really great filmmaker, but you gotta give Spielberg some credit for being awesome too. I wouldn't even call him second best, I'd say he, George Lucas and Tim Burton are the 3 greatest directors ever.

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 10:03 AM
Burton?!?! Ugh...He's had a few good movies, but most of them are terrible. Did you see Planet of the Apes? What a horrid film. Beetlejuice is lame. Edward Scissorhands is super lame. Batman was good, but the sequel was disappointing (Rocket penguin attack???) I haven't seen Ed Wood and I enjoyed Sleepy Hollow, but for the most part, Burton is clown shoes.

Speilberg's 5 worst films (in no particular order): Always, Amistad, 1941, Hook, and #1...The Lost World: Jurassic Park (ewww, what a stinker of a film) Everything else he's done has been very good to excellent.

And Lucas is more of a visionary than a director. he only has 5 films under his belt...

Brave Sir Robin
09-12-2001, 10:39 AM
Burton lame? I love Burton? How the hell can you not like Edward Scissorhands?

master jedi
09-12-2001, 05:13 PM
Yeah but look at what Burton did to the Batman movies, Sir Robin.

I thought Planet of the apes was good but it was too open for a sequel.

Brave Sir Robin
09-12-2001, 05:47 PM
i have only seen the first Batman and I think he defines the gothic theme of the dark bad-*** hero that Batman is and did it a quadzillion times better than Batman Forever and Batman and Robin

master jedi
09-12-2001, 09:07 PM
If he does do the same thing to Planet of the Ape as he did to the Batman movies I will probably go insane.

Eternal Padawan
09-12-2001, 09:53 PM
Burton also did that crap fest that was Mars Attacks!. ugh.. How can you ENJOY Edward Scissorhands??? if you want to watch a GOOD goofy director, watch some of Terry Gilliam's stuff. With the exception of Fear and Loathing which is crappity crap crap....

Brave Sir Robin
09-12-2001, 10:23 PM
Fear and Loathing, Edward Scissorhands, and Mars Attacks...all very good in my book. I love Edward because it is all about being an outsider, and Mars Attacks and Fear and Loathing were just plain ol' fun. Eternal Padawan, I don't mean to be nosy, but what movies DO you like, by any chance?

Eternal Padawan
09-13-2001, 11:23 AM
This year my favorite films are Memento, Moulin Rouge, and Jay and Silent Bob...so far. I am excited about Salton Sea, Road to Perdition, Harry Potter and LOTR. Shrek and Enemy at the Gates were pretty good, too, but so far, it's been a pretty crappy year. The worst movies this year were Hannibal and Spy Kids. Tomb Raider and Planet of the Apes were slightly better, but still crap in my book. Pearl Harbor was mediocre. They were parts I really liked and parts I loathed. Everything else is a blur of mediocrity. I might enjoy a film once, but have no desire to see it again or buy it on DVD (my true test of a film's worth.)

In the past years my fave films were Gladiator, Fight Club and American Beauty, Saving Private Ryan. I thought L.A. Confidential was a better picture than Titanic and should have won best picture, but I enjoyed the latter film. I really like David Fincher films. I like Kevin Smith. I like Monty Python. I like Michael Bay's visual style of filming and editing. I liked Armageddon better than Deep Impact.

I don't know... ask me about a film and I'll tell you if I like it.

master jedi
09-13-2001, 06:30 PM
My favorite movies this year (so far) are THe Mummy Returns, Moulin Rogue, Planet of the Apes, Shrek.
I thought Pearl Harbor absolutely sucked. They took a 3 minute event and turned it into a 3 hour movie. I hear they're coming out with a director's cut and I say why make a sucky movie longer.

Pretty much the movie I'm most looking forward to is Lord of the Rings.

Has anybody here seen the Musketeer yet? If so, how was it 'cause I might want to go see it.

bigbarada
09-13-2001, 06:38 PM
EP, American Beauty was an incredible film! And I agree with you about L.A. Confidential.

Have you ever seen THX-1138? I know it's old but I watched it for the first time last weekend and was blown away. Awesome film! Other films I really dig are Three Kings, Fargo, Arlington Road, and Boondock Saints.

One movie I watched based on critics reviews was Breaking the Waves. Waaaaay too depressing for me.

master jedi
09-13-2001, 07:11 PM
THX-1138? That's one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 01:13 AM
THX -1138 is not the worst film, but it is one of thoose dreary sci fi films from the 70s and not at all like Lucas' American Graffiti or Star Wars films, so I think it turns people off. I don't hate it, but it does move reaaaaaaaalllll slow and it forces you to concentrate on it, which I don't like to do if I'm not entertained.

The problem with the Musketeer is that it takes a piece of classic literature and boils it down to....SWORDFIGHTING!!!! AND KUNG FU!!! Dumas would be spinning in his grave. Plus it was directed by Peter Hyams, who is a crap director in my book who is always his own director of photography even though he doesn't seem to know the first thing about lighting. Some of Hyams other duds, in case you were wondering were End of Days, The Relic, and TimeCop...I'm sure he's done more but those are his recent ones that spring to mind. When I see his name on a film, I know I'm not in for a good time ( or rather..I know I'll enjoy laughing at his ineptness.)

I have only seen the first half of Boondock Saints but it looked good enough for me to want to see the second half, but not good enough to actually go out and rent it...

I also like Three Kings, Fargo and Arlington Road. However my fave Coen Bros. film is Big Lebowski. The guy that wrote Arlington Road (Ehren Kruger) also wrote Reindeer Games and Scream 3, so I kind of see his talent as a fluke. And I eagerly await David O. Russell's next work.

Planet of the Apes was bad because it took a film that was really a commentary on society and intolerance back on the 60's and pussified it and PC'd it up, making it totally bland in the 21st century. They totally missed what made the first movie cool and thought provoking. It sure wasn't guys in ape costumes, which is about all this one amounted to. ooh.. I forgot Mummy Returns..that one is on the list with Tomb Raider and POTA, sub par.

Those movies remind me of a quote I once read about "Escapist Entertainment" "You go into a restaurant expecting steak and they bring you meatloaf with a lit firecracker stuck in it and call it 'Escapist cuisine.' It's the same with going to see a flashy summer movie thats all effects and no story."

By the way....I really like those Star Wars movies;) :rolleyes: :D

bigbarada
09-14-2001, 09:16 AM
Cool, I understand what you're saying about THX-1138, I was just chilling out at home watching my brother's copy and was amazed at how many of the messages in the film seemed pretty relevant to today.

Alright, more movies I liked: The Green Mile, Unbreakable (although it was really slooooooow), Fight Club.

Eternal Padawan
09-14-2001, 11:08 AM
ooh! Another one: Shawshank Redemption. I really like Frank Darabont, although I like Shawshank better than Green Mile. I look forward to his Jim Carrey movie The Majectic this holiday season. Remember when Frank Darabont was tapped to write Episode 1? Too bad that one never happened.

2-1B
05-04-2008, 11:55 PM
Let's get back on topic please, since this thread is about Spielberg.

Minority Report
Jaws

DarthQuack
05-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I loved Close Encounters.

Deoxyribonucleic
05-05-2008, 12:16 AM
E.T.! I love E.T. so much, I took a trek up to Tahunga where the house is :thumbsup: It was a childhood dream to go see that house and that neighborhood and an adult dream to own and live in that house!

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 04:57 AM
I didn't know that was shot in Tujunga, I used to live around there as a kid.

jonthejedi
05-09-2008, 05:21 AM
I just watched Empire of the Sun yesterday again(one of Steve's most underated movies). It's war thru the eyes of a child, and the changing from child into man as a result. Beautiful JW score, and a 1st performance from the Dark Knight(and John Conner) himself-Christian Bale.

Jargo
05-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I like his earlier works. not so impressed by recent offerings.

Droid
05-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I have seen everything he directed, but I may pass on Crystal Skull.

JimJamBonds
05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
I like El Spielbergo's work better.