PDA

View Full Version : Toyfare's top 25 SW toys of all time

2-1B
06-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Okay, I know some forumites have given up on Toyfare, so I am posting their recent top 25 for your consideration . . .

25 Action Collection R2-D2
24 POTJ Bespin Leia
23 Flashback Obi-Wan
22 Lego Imperial Shuttle
21 Commtech Luke w/ T-16
20 12" Bossk
19 POTF2 Threepio w/ removable limbs
18 Jango Kamino Escape
17 Micro Collection Death Star World (1982)
16 Electronic 10" Darth Maul
15 12" Qui-Gon from the Amidala Portrait Edition
14 Vintage Ewok Village
13 100th Luke
12 POTJ Chewie Mechanic
11 Vintage Jabba playset
10 POTF2 Millenium Falcon
09 Power FX X-Wing
08 POTF2 Vader w/ removable helmet
07 POTF2 Snowspeeder
06 300th Boba Fett
05 POTJ Han Solo Bespin
04 Action Collection Electronic Darth Vader
03 Commtech Stormtrooper
02 POTF2 AT-AT
01 Naboo Royal Starship

Clearly, with such a vast assortment there are so many choices. Their article praises Hasbro's creativity, thus explaining the dominance of newer toys. But with so many different categories, it's hard to match a CTC Stormie against an AT-AT . . . but it is interesting to see them try! :)

Beast
06-05-2002, 08:29 PM
Nice list, but they really should have done it in different sections. I don't think it's fair to compare ships to figures. But still, a very nice list. Thanks for sharing, Caeser. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Was there a picture of the vial of crack they bought and smoked right before they wrote up this list? That token Lego inclusion was pathetic, and the complete lack of Galoob Micro Machines products just furthers my "high as a kite" theory on this one.

2-1B
06-06-2002, 02:52 AM
No, they stopped short of the vial of crack. :D

Since you mentioned the Shuttle, here's part of the write-up:

Whoever thought up the unlikely merger of Star Wars and Lego should get a medal. The fun of building your own Star Wars vehicles is huge, and no Lego set best encapsulates it like the Imperial Shuttle. It's not too easy nor is it too hard, and it becomes an uncanny representation of the actual spaceship. Throw in four of the best Star Wars Lego figures ever - the Emperor, an Imperial Officer, and two Royal Guards - and this is Lego perfection. And, best of all, when you get tired of the shuttle you can male a monstrous robot to crush the rebellion instead! "[Lego] executed the shuttle so well", says Sansweet. "And since it's my favorite vehicle, this one is doubly cool for me."

Oh wait now - here's a crack related quote for ya! :D

Star Wars toys aren't awesome just because they're Star Wars - Hasbro's been bustin' *** to make these things cooler than a naked chick on Hoth!
The toys you see on this top 25 list are there because Hasbro gave them features that no other toy line offered - detailed playsets, ships with goodies inside and out, complicated electronics - they keep getting better!
And from there they highlight Force effects, magnets, Speeder crash features . . . actually, by "they" I mean Douglas Goldstein, I just noticed his name at the bottom of that write-up. But I believe the actual descriptions for each toy were a collaborative effort (with a little help from Sansweet :D )

Eternal Padawan
06-06-2002, 09:40 AM
"One man's poison..."

Where the GONK! is the Vintage DeathStar?!?! That certainly deserves to be on the list before Kamino Escape Jango...

kadamontaga
06-06-2002, 12:35 PM
I'm glad to see POTJ Bespin Han ranked highly for a change. I sometimes think that this excellent figure gets forgotten.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 09:44 PM
"...the unlikely merger of Star Wars and Lego..."
Hmm, I dunno, seems like someone's been hitting da pipe on that one. :crazed:

Nice find on that second quote, that must have been the moment their 4th vial of crack actually kicked in! :D

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
"One man's poison..."... should be poured down ToyFare's throat! ;)

RooJay
06-06-2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
... should be poured down ToyFare's throat! ;)

True dat! I thought Toyfare's list just plain sucked, and was way off the mark!

mrhat
06-07-2002, 12:19 AM
Eh all those Peolpe at Toyfare are well, off, not always a bad thing like their Twisted Toyfare Theatre is Halarious, TOO MUCH SPIDERMAN, but he IS funny, i am actually considering trying to make an 8 inch fig to submit for a chance for it to be in future issues, that list wasn't all bad, they had SO much to choose from though, Bespin Vader should have gotten something, although not released at publishing date! Hey i have an idea, how about we get as many customisers together and make a whole lot of 8'' CUSTOM figs to submit to ToyFare!

bigbarada
08-31-2002, 07:44 PM
I dunno, I was happy to see the 6" Artoo figure along with Mechanic Chewie and Bespin Escape Leia. I didn't expect those from someone like Toyfare. I still think those three figures are some of the greatest ever made.

I'm happy to see Rem. Helmet Vader (both versions) on there, along with Bespin Capture Han, 12" Bossk, Defense of Naboo Qui-Gonn and the Ewok Village. This leads me to believe that Toyfare does have at least one functioning brain among them.

The only glaringly obvious omissions are:
12" Biker Scout with Speeder Bike
POTJ Amanaman
POTJ FX-7
Vintage Imperial Shuttle

Other than those, I don't have too many problems with this list (although Electronic Talking Darth Maul, Commtech Luke, Flashback Obi-Wan and the LEGO Shuttle are dumb additions).

Rogue II
08-31-2002, 09:11 PM
It was strange that they did ALL Star Wars Toys. I would have like to seen them break it down into 3 3/4" line, 12" line, Vehicles, and Legos, even if they only did the top 10 of each.

I know there was a top exclusive figure thread in the Misc Toys section, but I wonder if there has ever been one to rate everyones favorite toys.

Lobito
09-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Funny that the only EP 1 toy they included was ranked No.1 in the list.

JediTricks
09-05-2002, 04:59 PM
How many Ep 1 toys are really "wow-ers" though? The Royal Starship delivers on so many levels, but can you think of other Ep 1 toys that come close on multiple levels like that? The only one that comes close in my mind is the Naboo Fighter, and that can barely hold any figures at all. For me, the Ep 1 line just wasn't inspired enough, excpet for the Royal Starship.

Lobito
09-05-2002, 05:03 PM
Besides the Royal Starship??? None really...although i liked the Eopie with Qui Gonn.

TheFrankEinstein
09-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Aw, you guys are too hard on 'em. Toyfare is a publication, it has to write about something, and something like a top 25 list of anything couldn't ever be absolute. It's like an editorial, it concerns the writer's opinion, not news or universal fact.

I just feel sorry for Tom Root having to root (d'oh!) through all of the angry letters every time they run a list like that. For pete's sake, it's just an article.

Lobito
09-06-2002, 03:23 PM
I dont even buy the mag anymore...but i'm not worried of what they write or not...that article was just a list on which we gave our own opinions...thats all.

RooJay
09-07-2002, 12:13 AM
You are absolutely right TFE! That having been said, my list would've been much, MUCH different. My list would've been topped off by the ultimate...the vintage Death Star playset. How that one didn't make the top of Toyfare's list also, I'll never understand, but anyway...