PDA

View Full Version : question for eBay buyers/sellers

SWAFMAN
06-05-2002, 10:18 PM
As someone who only buys, never sells, on eBay, I take exception to sellers who wait to post feedback to me, until after they see what feedback I've posted to them.

IMHO, any rating of the buyer's performance ends when their payment and shipping information have been received by the seller, unless the seller specifically requests to be contacted upon receipt. Otherwaise, my feedback to the seller should constitute verification of receipt.

I value my eBay feedback as a buyer. Understandably, some sellers refuse to deal with buyers with negative feedback. For this reason, when I receive an eBay item for which the seller hasn't already posted my feedback, I feel like I'm being blackmailed with the implied threat that if I don't post them positive feedback, then they'll trash me even though I did everything perfectly.

Has anyone else noticed this and felt similarly? Are there any other points of view by sellers or buyers?

JetsAndHeels
06-05-2002, 10:26 PM
The first time I bought an item on ebay, the seller included a note with the item that read "Please post positive feedback." I did this for them, but I noticed they never did it for me. Kind of messed up if you ask me, but I let it go.
Ever since then, I decided to enclose the same request when I send my payment to the seller. I always pay with a money order, and when I get ready to mail it out, I take a sheet of paper and politely ask them to post positive feedback for me since I will do this for them. I think it is only fair that both parties be given the feedback they deserve when they successfully complete a timely transaction.
So far I have had no problems with this method, and all but about 2 of my sellers have been kind enough to give me the positive feedback that I requested.

derek
06-05-2002, 11:02 PM
i hear you swafman. i always post feedback usually as soon as i recieve my merchandise, but in some cases, the seller gets real ancy about getting their money. sometimes, not often, but sometimes the post office is slow and they think i'm just a non-paying bidder and they get mean, so i wait untill those people leave me feedback before i comment.:)

one person i bought from recently, it took the post office over 2 weeks to get my payment to her.

QLD
06-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Well, me personally, I leave feedback once I get payment, but if I do multiple auctions, it is easy to overlook someone. I have before in the past left no feedback, as I was afraid they were going to leave me negative feedback because I made a few complaints. But thankfully, I have a 195 rating, and no negatives.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 12:34 AM
Feedback is a waste IMO, anything over 10 is enough as long as you don't have negatives - the system really doesn't reward you after that and few auctions require more. Plus, the current ebay feedback system is a total joke anyway, someone can leave you a negative simply to be a jerk and there's NOTHING you can do about it, yet some sellers can have hundreds of negatives and ebay doesn't care.

I also only buy and I've run into this idea that the seller somehow deserves the feedback BEFORE the buyer, my take on it is that I leave positive feedback whenever I receive an item and let karma do its thing: if they don't wanna take the time to make my 43 feedback go up to 44, I'm not gonna sweat it because I was already a stand-up guy and the difference between 43 and 44 in most sellers' eyes is MEANINGLESS.

SWAFMAN
06-06-2002, 01:03 AM
I am not complaining that sellers don't leave me feedback. I currently have 42 feedbacks, and all are glowingly positive. I only have had one or two sellers not leave feedback. My complaint is that when a seller doesn't post feedback by the time I've received the item, and I'm ready to post feedback to them, I feel inhibited from being honest about their communication, turn-around time, and item condition, for fear they'll trash my excellent record.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 04:25 AM
Yup, that's another drawback of the ebay system, people are afraid to be honest for fear of tarnishing their record. The system is bunk.

LTBasker
06-06-2002, 07:59 AM
I'd got 26-28 feedback, all positive, so far I think 2 people haven't left feedback on mine. No big deal though.

Ebay is truly a weird system - then again I heard it was mainly created so the guy's wife could sell her pez collection.

Eternal Padawan
06-06-2002, 08:25 AM
I don't even bother leaving feedback. If there's a problem, I know where the guy lives. That's usually enough of an implied threat that the seller remain honest and level with me. If they leave me feedback, thats fine. If they don't, oh well. The feedback system is silly to me.

stormie
06-06-2002, 11:58 AM
Here's another take. When I sell stuff on eBay, I sometimes will wait for the bidder to leave feedback before I post positive feedback for them, just to make sure that both parties are satisfied, and the overall transaction is complete. I do this for buyers that seem a little suspect due to lack of communication on their part, flakey e-mails, late payments, wrong payments, etc. It's only because I have a suspicion that they may make a false complaint against me or have further problems with what they bought, and the transaction is still not complete. Thankfully, I've left only one negative comment (for a nonpaying bidder) in the four years I've been using eBay, and have received only positives.

Jonna
06-06-2002, 12:06 PM
I have only bought on ebay and refuse to post first. If I send my money and the other person receives it then I have done my part first and therefor, if any feedback is going to be left, the seller should do it first.