PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Price drops and availability ?

jad
06-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a couple questions I had.

So recently it seems that Walmart along with a handful of other stores are dropping the prices on all the saga figures. I'm assuming this might be to get the figures on the shelves to a more managable size. But does anyone know for sure the reason for the price drop.

My assumtion also lends itself to another thought and question I have about figure availability lately. My local walmart hasn't gotten anything new in for atleast 3 weeks. Which is disapointing with all the cool new figures coming out. Also I still haven't found a Yoda (which i've been wanting from the beginning.)

So does anyone know whats up? Are they just trying to clear the shelves before ordering new stuff, or is it just waiting in the backroom? Or is it something completely different.

I welcome all your thoughts and knowledge on the issue. Thanks :)

RAVAZ
06-05-2002, 11:52 PM
Not sure. A guy at TRU told me that they should have the new wave of figs in next week. Of read that the new waves are already available in some stores. So it could be both waiting in the backroom, or they just haven't ordered yet. I'm sure they'll be out in a week or two.

Lord Tenebrous
06-06-2002, 12:03 AM
I figure the sale has enough appeal to at least get rid of the figure endcaps. But even if fans snatch up every customizable/armybuilder figure out there - we still have the original incarnations of our forbidden lovers...

...still shipping with new figures.

Jayspawn
06-06-2002, 02:12 AM
I believe the price drop is just to help move figures out. Get the merchindise flowing if you would. The drop is very convienient. Hopefully other stores will pick it up. If Hasbro drops the price, I'll definatly buy more. Not a bad deal for them.

Dar' Argol
06-06-2002, 04:27 PM
For more on that, check out this thread:

Attention Wal-Mart Shoppers!! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9628)

steve3p0
06-06-2002, 05:43 PM
if they can sell the figs at less than $5 and still make profit and get them to move off the shelves, (and assuming that works) why not keep the price below $5 as it will keep figs moving constantly rather than having periods of overstock.

Darth Detori
06-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Steve's got a point!
I've also been seeing Target and TRU dropping their prices

Brett3xmvpfavre
06-06-2002, 06:09 PM
my theory, they dont want another EP1 overstock problem.
Remember when you could go to TRU and buy 1 and get 1 free? well, if the sell 2 figures for $10 they will get more that they would by selling 2 figures for $6. Comon knowledge proves that.

Jaina Solo
06-06-2002, 06:10 PM
Because they want to make as much money as they possibly can, of course. :)

Slacker Jedi
06-06-2002, 06:52 PM
"Because they want to make as much money as they possibly can, of course"

Noooooo! In America?????? Who would want to do that? ;)

Dar' Argol
06-06-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Jaina Solo
Because they want to make as much money as they possibly can, of course. :)

Actually they are not making that much. WM mark up on the SW figs at $5.88 was 31.97%. Meaning the cost to WM of the figs was $4. So they were only making $1.88 on each fig. So now that the figs dropped in price to $4.77, they are only making $.77 on each fig. It really not that much.

Beast
06-06-2002, 09:41 PM
Thanks for finally answering my question, about how much Wal-Mart pays per figure Dar' Argol. Even if they only make .77 a figure, they will most likely sell twice as many figures and make up the difference anyway. Viva La Wal-Mart! :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Dar' Argol
06-06-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Thanks for finally answering my question, about how much Wal-Mart pays per figure Dar' Argol. Even if they only make .77 a figure, they will most likely sell twice as many figures and make up the difference anyway. Viva La Wal-Mart! :D

JarJar my friend, you wound me:eek:. I did answer you like yesterday. You just never looked. See:

My answer (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=102403#post102403)

Now pardon me as I go remove this knive:D jk JJ!!

"If they only make .77"
Hey, .77 profit is still .77 profit. It might not be as much as $1.88 but its still profit. And it will get the pegwarmers outta the way for newer stuff!!:D

Beast
06-06-2002, 09:56 PM
Oops Dar' Argol, I usually never miss stuff like that, but it appears I did. My deepest apologies to you, my friend. Regardless, $4.77 is a kickarse price for these figures. "I price I've not seen in a long time...a long time." I guess I will be buying up some extra army builders, as soon as my local Wal-Mart drops the price. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jad
06-07-2002, 12:12 AM
I as well am quite pleased with the prices as of late. I just hope they get some of the new stuff on the shelves soon as well, as i'm anxious to get items such as the new Obiwan Kenobi Pilot, Acklay, and Nexu :)

Count Dooku
06-07-2002, 12:43 AM
The topic of availability is very interesting. I spent an entire day looking for Yoda, Dooku, and Anakin Hanger Duel. I started at Wal Mart and TRU, then went to 9 or 10 other stores and finally found all of them, but it was such a grind. For fun, I decided to go back to the TRU to see if they had re-stocked. They did. I could have got all the ones I needed if I had waited or just came there later in the day. When I left there were no more Yodas at TRU. Later on in the week I found that Yodas, Royal Guards etc. are all available at the same TRU which leads me to this opinion. THERE ARE TONS OF EVERY FIGURE OUT RIGHT NOW, and the ones that may seem to be hard to get now, will become available, and more readily than you will think. I have mixed feelings on this. On one side I am happy to be able to get what I want, great no problem. On the other hand, to grind out an afternoon from store to store and finally get rewarded, then only to find that the one store has many, and has constantly re-stocked ever since, kind of makes things a little frusterating. What is the point of searching??? There is no point, that is the answer. These stores will just restock the same figure you paid triple for online, or got the first one in the first few waves you will see a month later. This is my opinion. I don't know, it may be different in your area, but anybody that hasn't gotten a Yoda right now, I don't know what your doing wrong. And all of you waiting for the Palpy/Bespin wave, don't sweat it, they will flood the market with these figures shortly after, you can "count" on that.

saladin
06-07-2002, 07:11 AM
MY wal-mart's been getting lazy and isn't restocking to much, i think there cutting down how many pegs they have for it.

Dar' Argol
06-07-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by saladin
MY wal-mart's been getting lazy and isn't restocking to much, i think there cutting down how many pegs they have for it.

Its not the WM is getting lazy, its the fact that Hasbro is not sending us anything!!!! We cannot order the figs at the store level. Our Home Office orders them and Hasbro sends them to us as they feel like it:rolleyes:. So its not the stores fault.

Also, the reason that they are cutting back on space is #1 we aren't getting anything new right now and our stock is depleating, and #2 it is a waste of space to keep over 26ft of SW when we are not getting anything new in. I know my store cut it down to 12ft and put Spiderman on the remaining counter, just to get it sold.

LTBasker
06-07-2002, 04:42 PM
The store here also has a small fraction of their huge SW aisle devoted to Spider-Man toys. Not the regular figures though, those are over in toys (they put the SW aisle over by medicine, guess they couldn't spare the space in the toy section) and they also are lacking severely in Spider-Man figures.

Wonder why they aren't getting any new stock in. Majorly pathetic if the companies want to keep people interesting in their toys to buy future product but they won't ship any.