PDA

View Full Version : So you want to order directly from Hasbro??

KEBco
06-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Recently someone asked the question on how to order directly from Hasbro. This is an attempt to explain some of the pit falls when you do buy direct. OK, lets set the stage.

Hasbro requires that the first purchase each year be $5000 minimum and then each additional purchase within the year be $2500 minimum. You can select whatever you want to make up these minimums.

Letís say the items you want cost $100 per case.

You have heard rumors that there will be 10 waves this year. This is going to be easy, just order 50 cases at $100 each will give you the $5000 minimum.
So you decide to get 5 cases of each wave to make up your 50 cases.

You contact Hasbro to place your order.
First problem. In January, there are only 4 waves that have been announced and are official. So you can order only the first 4 waves. You can not wait until everything has been announced because Hasbro will be out of stock of the first items. You still have to order $5000 worth of merchandise. So you have to alter your plan and get 12 cases of wave 1, 13 cases of wave 2, 12 cases of wave 3 and 13 cases of wave 4. This will give you the 50 cases needed to make up the $5000.
Now you sit and wait a few months until they are delivered.
Second problem. In March, before you have even received anything from your first order, Hasbro makes it official on the next 3 waves. You want some of everything, so you gotta order this also. After looking at the case assortment you see that wave 5 and 6 are almost the same. Wave 5 has 2 each of 3 new figures and 6 figures that were in the first 4 waves. Wave 6 has 3 each of 2 new figures and 6 older ones. You decide you had rather have wave 5 because you get 3 new figures and therefore order waves 5 and wave 7. You still have to order the $2500 minimum. You get 12 cases of wave 5 and 13 of wave 7.
Third problem. In April you start receiving your shipment of the first 4 waves. The shipper has some problems and 5 of the cases of wave 4 are damaged beyond use. You can file a claim with the shipper to get your money refunded, but now you are short 5 cases. You can re-order wave 4 from Hasbro, but remember the $2500 minimum. You must order something else in addition to your 5 cases of wave 4 to get your minimum.
Fourth problem. In June, Hasbro decides there has been a low demand for wave 5 and cancels it. What can you do. Seeing that wave 6 does have the figures you need, you place an order for wave 6. But remember that blasted $2500 minimum. Gotta order more of something you already have to make the minimum.

All the while, you must send Hasbro cash in advance for each order or they will not accept and process your order. Just through 7 waves, you have had to purchase the $5000 initial minimum, and three repeat orders of $2500 each for a total of $12,500 Ė and you still have 3 more waves to go.

Is it no wonder we retailers are a bit on the crazy side???

AT-AT Man
06-06-2002, 10:52 AM
that sounds like a long strenuous process, do you usually make a profit or do you loose money from it.

pthfnder89
06-06-2002, 10:55 AM
KEBCo - I want to thank you for some of the insightful posts you've made here recently. A lot of people here don't know the ins-and-outs of what goes on with toy production and sale and you've helped clear things up on several matters.

It's great having someone here who can lay down the difference between what is Hasbros fault or what is a retailers fault when certain problems arise, and who actually knows how these things work.

Not to mention your store is GREAT. Thanks!:)

QLD
06-06-2002, 11:18 AM
Yeah, not too many people in these forums understand how a business works. I don't mean everyone, just a lot. But that is very insightful. Since I am only interested in fulfilling mine, and maybe my friends' collections, I think I will avoid trying to be the Robin Hood of the Star Wars collectibles, and just buy mine from dealers. I mean, if I had 15,000 to spend, it would be on a house, not toys.

JrJedi
06-06-2002, 12:13 PM
So can you give us any suggestions or direction on how to over come these problems? Must I always order the $5000 worth of stuff?

Jonna
06-06-2002, 12:41 PM
How easy is that!?! No more going to the crowded stores. Now Where did I leave my wallet?

Jargo
06-06-2002, 02:45 PM
The grey market..... many have given up the ties with Hasbro direct in favour of the grey market. The shady area that allows for premium orders shipped before the Hasbro official release. The shady area that nets so many e-tailers their booty. The profits are worthwhile. Buy direct from factory. Have your goods a month in advance of the major retailers. Cut out the middle man. How else do so many online stores get their stock? The grey market is bountiful...

chris
06-06-2002, 04:26 PM
nope!!!@