PDA

View Full Version : Willhelm! The SCREAM

stillakid
06-06-2002, 12:26 PM
Remember "the scream." You know the one. When the Stormtrooper falls to his death in ANH as Luke struggles to get the rappel line ready? Go to the following website for more info about it, it's history, and a great download!

http://www.starwars-rpg.net/swfa/issue3/wilhelm.html

2-1B
06-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Great! :)
I was surprised to hear it so early in AOTC.

bigbarada
06-06-2002, 12:39 PM
I remembered hearing about the history of this scream and that Ben Burt puts it in most of his movies. I just never could remember the name of that scream. Cool!

Eternal Padawan
06-06-2002, 01:41 PM
That was brought up in the AOTC Movie section. JT reminded me what it was called. The conversation went something like this.

EP: I found that scream Burtt puts in all the films...The "Carl".
JT: The Wilhelm.
EP: Whatever...

:)

billfremore
06-06-2002, 01:49 PM
Does anybody have a copy of the Willhelm as a wav or mp3?

Mandalorian Candidat
06-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Where did this happen again in AOTC? I don't recall ever seeing that thread?

stillakid
06-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by billfremore
Does anybody have a copy of the Willhelm as a wav or mp3?

You could edit one out of that clip on the site, but it would have all kinds of background music and fx over it.

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 07:01 PM
So EP, how do you remember the so clearly conversation, yet your memory mistook "Wilhelm" for "Carl"? ;)

JediTricks
06-06-2002, 07:28 PM
Here's a small WAV file from that vid of the first 3 Wilhelms. First up, you'll hear a character address Wilhelm by his name, then you hear the character, then he gets shot and lets out the infamous scream. The next 2 are later shots from that same film - one is a cowboy getting harpooned and the other is an indian getting stabbed and rolling down a cliff.

(the file is around 70k and is in MPEG compression for filesize and clarity's sake, you may have to save it to your HD and play it on a different program if your browser is having trouble with it.)

2-1B
06-07-2002, 12:08 AM
I remember the Carl/Wilhelm debate! :D

Man Can, AOTC's Carl Wilhelm is heard when the Naboo ship is blown up. :)

JediTricks
06-07-2002, 03:11 AM
Every time I see "Carl" in this discussion, it reminds me of what Mr Garrison taught the kindergartners. :D

2-1B
06-07-2002, 03:44 AM
How many "Willhelms" are there? I tried playing those files but I'm having problems . . . anyway, I watched 5th Element for the first time tonight, and there is a very familiar scream - when Gary Oldman blows that guy up before the ship takes off, there is a scream that sounds "Willhelm-esque" and I swear I've heard that one in Star Wars before . . . only I can't think of an example off hand. If any of you have that movie, please check for me, it's around 1hr 18 minutes into it. It's not THE Willhelm but it sure sounds familiar.
Thanks. :)

2-1B
06-09-2002, 09:22 PM
Apparantly I shouldn't be posting anymore at 3:44am, :D
because today when I watched AOTC again I realized that the AOTC scream is quite possibly the SAME scream as in The Fifth Element. I was thinking of the Weequay scream as the Willhelm in question . . . Weequay screams the same as that Imperial Officer in the Endor Raid, right? :confused:

chewie
06-09-2002, 09:31 PM
I thought I read that the Willhelm in AotC was when Padme and the Clone were knocked out of the gunship towards the end of the film? The clone being the one to make the Willhelm noise, of course.

2-1B
06-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Quite possible, maybe that's the other one I'm thinking of.
Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks chewie :)

stillakid
06-10-2002, 12:05 AM
I think I heard Wilhelm at AOTC today. The very first sequence, during or right after the shiny ship explodes. Anyone confirm this?

Mandalorian Candidat
06-10-2002, 02:34 PM
It's too bad that guy didn't/couldn't copyright his scream. His estate would be rolling in dough by now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Dang, I searched for "Wilhelm" and there were a ton of matches. I'm gonna use the sound JT posted in my own movie. :D Thanks a ton! Good thing the SSG forums reopened, since the film is due on Tuesday to the SWFFA.

JediTricks
05-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Wow, cutting it close! :D

If you ever need an older thread's link or text but can't track it down, try googling it by site, search it like so...

site:forums.sirstevesguide.com wilhelm scream

And if the search result link doesn't work, choose the cached version.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
For some reason, the file on this site was wonky so I had to get the Wilhelm from the good ol' Wiki. Anyway I got the movie done and I'll start a new thread about it shortly. See if you can spot the Wilhelm. ;)

JediTricks
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Weird, I just tested the .wav I put here and it works fine on my system.