PDA

View Full Version : Was Anakin hinting at something....

DarthChuckMc
06-06-2002, 04:35 PM
or just rambling about how powerful he'll eventually be, when he says "I'll be able to stop people from dying." I not sure if this is in context to something that is slipping my mind, foreshadowing, or just another throw-away line.

chris
06-06-2002, 04:46 PM
yea, GL was using a lot of foreshadowing in Anakins dialogue, that line being one of the most prominent. I think it was intentional.

shawnkeena
06-06-2002, 04:52 PM
Maybe it forshadows the fact that he is able to cheat his own death by becoming Darth Vader and relying on the Dark Side and mechanics to live on after his (expected) fatal duel with Obi-Wan.

darthvyn
06-06-2002, 04:53 PM
going with this plot device, did anyone think that maybe the tusken raiders were being driven by the dark side of the force, namely palpatine, when they abducted shmi, and then subsequently tortured her? it seems like an awful lot of unneccesary stuff on their part, unless someone was making them do this so as to bring anakin to the breaking point... the book goes into some detail about how the tuskens were unusually aggressive before the abduction, which denotes behavior that goes against the norm. just a though that i had, that i didn't think really needed it's own thread, but maybe should be discussed.

pthfnder89
06-06-2002, 04:58 PM
Could be. But I ahven't seen any sort of evidence as to whos behind it so for now I'm just assuming that they acted on their own.

jawaboy
06-06-2002, 05:23 PM
I had brought this up in another thread but I forget off-hand which one it was. I think the phrase does have significance, especially to events that occurred in ANH and ESB.

I don't think Anakin ever figured out how to cheat death. But Obi-wan did. He never died. And neither did Yoda. Darth Vader was completely unaware of Obi's ability to become one with the Force. It was probably the power he had been searching for but was wrong in believing it could be found in the Dark Side of the Force.

More than likely, this may have been a turning point for Vader. Having realized that the Light Side was indeed stronger, we see a different Vader in ESB; one who wants to overthrow Palpy and bring an end to the corruption.

I think we will find out in Ep III how Yoda and Obi-wan discover this Force power and why it is elusive to Anakin.

MikeAndTheBots
06-06-2002, 05:42 PM
He also stops Palpy from killing luke in ROTJ by throwing good ol pasty over the edge of that pit thing.

Jedi Learner
06-06-2002, 09:23 PM
I also like Anakin's line, "I won't fail again," that he says over his mother's grave. I felt it cleverly foreshadowed Darth Vader's attitude toward failure in everyone else in ESB (i.e. "Don't fail me again.") I thought it was a neat touch. Don't know if it was intentional.

hango fett
06-06-2002, 09:30 PM
i think that it was intentional. but, on the tusken deal...i think palpintine could have had a hand in it since he is darth sidous and darth maul went to tatooine, he could know where to look.............................................. ................................

saladin
06-07-2002, 08:38 AM
I think it for shadow how in the next one he beleives he som powerful he tries to bring someone from the dead< padme maybe< but can't and then his final decent toward evil begins.

2-1B
06-08-2002, 04:58 AM
2 lines that are haunting in AOTC:

"I will even learn to stop people from dying"
"I won't faill again, mom."

Haunting not because of what will happen, but because of what won't happen. Anakin WILL fail, horribly so. Anakin WILL NOT learn to stop people from dying, he will become a destructive force that the good Anakin would never want to be a part of.

Perhaps Episode III will play on these lines, but for now that's my perception. In ESB, Vader does refer to ending "this destructive conflict." Maybe this is related, but I think it was more a ploy to get Luke to join him.

But for now I think it is a part of the tragedy, not anything he is hinting at. :)

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 06:28 AM
Yeah, I think Vader's "destructive conflict" comment has about as much merit as Dookus claim that he wants to destroy the Sith, when he is working for Sidious all along.

TPM kind of beat to death Anaking missing his mother (Padme, Ki-Adi and Yoda mention this before the movie is over) then Obi-Wan mentions Anakin's mother again at the beginning of AOTC. Someone would have to be pretty dense to not pick up on the forshadowing.

Thus I think that Anakin's comments about stopping people from dying will play a big role in Ep3. It might have something to do with Padme as saladin suggested.

Jedi Clint
06-08-2002, 01:09 PM
Padme is going to be pregnant in the next one, and that makes me doubt that he will be ressurecting 3 people at once.

bigbarada
06-08-2002, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure if he will actually resurrect anyone, he might try and fail which will lead him to believe that the Jedi aren't helping him to reach his full potential. Thus he might believe that becoming a Sith would give him the power he wants.

Obi-Don
06-09-2002, 05:59 AM
A lot to think about. I don't think he will stop someone from dying. I think that he thinks he will or should be that powerfull. Maybe he thinks he failed because he didn't save his mother and if he were as powerfull as he should be he could bring back his mother. Maybe thats were the line I won't fail again comes from.

MikeAndTheBots
06-09-2002, 09:28 AM
I still think some people are over analyizing this. He stops himself from dying by becoming vader and using the robotic parts to keep himself alive, this was hinted at way too much in AOTC/TPM to not have him give himself the armor. For "i'm good at fixing things, always have been" shows that he can and will fix himself when the time comes.
Well that and as I said, he stops Luke from dying in ROTJ by killing Palpy.

stillakid
08-25-2003, 11:47 PM
or just rambling about how powerful he'll eventually be, when he says "I'll be able to stop people from dying." I not sure if this is in context to something that is slipping my mind, Nope. Nothing even remotely having to do with such alchemy is ever referenced in the Star Wars saga.

foreshadowing, Nope, at least within the original films, there is nothing even remotely having to do with such alchemy ever referenced. (see the next response below for more on this...)

or just another throw-away line. Remains to be seen. Maybe he'll summon enough Force powers in Episode III to revive a dead cat. Or perhaps Lucas will include Vader reviving some dead officers in his Super-Nifty DVD Editions of the Original Trilogy. Or maybe it was another one Anakins irrational thoughts that apparently all teenagers here on Earth have which justifies its existence in the film. Who knows?

kool-aid killer
08-27-2003, 11:17 AM
He was distraught so i think he was just rambling on to Padme and that came out. He does save somebody (Luke) from dying though. I think he will fall to the dark side by deception from Sidious. Im thinking he will be told that Padme is dead and that somehow the Jedi where involved or didnt do anything to stop it and he will become disillusioned with the Jedi and take his revenge out on them much like he did to the Tusken Raiders.

Darth Jax
08-27-2003, 10:09 PM
anakin can't stop his body from dying, but does manage to become one with the force. his spirit shows up with yoda and obi-wan at the end of ROTJ. that being said anakin isn't hinting at anything when he claims he will become powerful enough to stop people from dying. he's displaying his grief over the death of his mother. just like the scene at the end of superman. clark can ultimately save lois by causing time to go backwards, anakin doesn't have the ability to bring back his mom.

as vader, anakin will learn to do just the opposite and will be responsible for the deaths of many people.

The Overlord Returns
08-29-2003, 12:38 PM
I think everyone's taking the line far too literally. The line is there to give us a look into Anakins psyche.......that's not something you say if you don't have a huge "god" complex, or if you aren't extremely desirous of power......it's an indication of the sort of thinking that leads anakin toward the dark path...plain and simple.

Not foreshadowing....yet not a throw away line....